Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Highlander Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    dakineguydakineguy Member Posts: 46
    What options did you get on your Limited Hybrid?
  • Options
    2002champs2002champs Member Posts: 11
    I'm not sure what option "package" it was since they seem to change all of the time, but I got the following:

Dual Front A/C
    Navigation System incl the premium JBL stereo
    Rear DVD entertainment system w/wireless headphones, which also requires the Moonroof
    Running Boards
    Cross-bars
    Mud Guards

Finding the combination of BOTH the Navigation and DVD was the hard part...most seemed to have the NAV but not the DVD player. I feel rather fortunate to have gotten 1K over invoice given the scarcity of the ones who matched what I wanted. Good luck.
  • Options
    mdhuttonmdhutton Member Posts: 195
    I walked out of a dealer yesterday because we were 2K apart on my trade (another story). I'm going to re-load and see if we can still agree on a deal though. However to start, I'd like to see if folks here can confirm/deny my math:

2008 HL Limited AWD
    - Blizzard Pearl Paint
    - Heated Front Seats
    - Nav
    - Power Rear Hatch
    - Auto Rear Air
    - Color Keyed Sport Rear Spoiler
    - Moonroof
    - Tow Pkg
    - Sirius Radio
    - 3 row carpeted mat set

I maintatin that the invoice price on this vehicle, including destination, is $36,050. Multiple online sources have returned a value within $5 or $10 of this. Am I crazy?
  • Options
    Can you tell me the name of the dealer and sales rep you dealt with?
  • Options
    I highly recommend Valley-Hi Toyota in Victorville. Sam and Jess are the Costco/Internet guys...both really nice, no sales pressure guys. I would recommend that you check their inventory on the website to see if they have a match of what you want. If they do, then if you have the Costco program, you should call Costco and tell them that you want to be referred to that dealership. Times are especially tough out in the high desert so I would expect that they will be motivated to deal.
  • Options
    stagno33stagno33 Member Posts: 2
    Hello All,

New to this forum but so far it's been very helpful. About to get into my first lease and I got an offer today that I'd like to run by people:

This for a black 4x2 base with the following options: Cold Weather, Convenience package, engine immobilizer, running lights, no 3rd row, preferred accessories (all weather), convenience accessories package (exhaust tip, mud flaps, cross bars)

here is the quote:

MSRP $28,446.00
    Selling price $26,000.00
    Assignment fee +550.00
    Selling price $26,550.00
    Inception fees(includes 1st pymt) $821.06
    Monthly pymt $355.06
    Money factor 0.000670
    Residual value $15,388.00
    Gap Insurance(estimate) $500.00
    Disposal fee 0.00

821.06 gets me in car and 355.06/mo for 36 mos. 12k mls/yr

I believe invoice for this model w/ options is 24736 + 685 delivery.

What do people think? How much better should I be able to do? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

-Joe
  • Options
    jilin74jilin74 Member Posts: 24
    highlander limited 4x4 with the following options:

option A:
    50 state emission
    rear auto air
    jbl audio + bluetooth
    spoiler
    heated seats
    powered rear door
    sunroof
    towing package

And accessaries:
    - mudguard
    -exhaust tip
    -carpet/cargo mat
    -crossbar

On edmunds, I found that Highlander limited with option A has invoice price of 33885 ( but the msrp shown seems to be 200 dollars higher than some other website). I am not sure where I can find invoice price for the accesaries.

Given this, what should I start to bid and what should my target price be? In MA.

Thanks,
  • Options
    bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    Joe,

Toyota.com has special leasing for 08 Base FWD with cold weather, conve. pkgs
    toyota.com > Shopping Tools > Local Offer > click Highlander
    $269/mo $1999 due at signing
    You can print the offer, bring it to dealer and choose your color.

Detalis ...

Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price: “2008 Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price excludes the Delivery, Processing and Handling Fee of $660 for Cars and $685 for Trucks, Vans and SUVs. (Historically, vehicle manufacturers and distributors have charged a separate fee for processing, handling and delivering vehicles to dealerships. Toyota's charge for these services is called the "Delivery, Processing and Handling Fee" and is based on the value of the processing, handling and delivery services Toyota provides as well as Toyota's overall pricing structure. Toyota may make a profit on the Delivery, Processing and Handling Fee.) Excludes taxes, license, title and available or regionally required equipment. The Delivery, Processing and Handling Fee in AL, AR, FL, GA, LA, MS, NC, OK, SC and TX will be higher. Actual dealer price may vary. Pricing, specifications, standard features and available equipment are based on information available when this page was produced and are subject to change without notice.

2008 EPA Estimated Mileage: For model year 2008, the EPA has revised the way the estimated fuel economy rating is determined. Actual mileage will vary.

Disclaimer: Lease a new 2008 Toyota Highlander for just $269.00 a month. 36-month closed end lease on Highlander model #6948. $1999.00 due at signing which includes first month’s payment of $269.00, acquisition fee of $550.00, customer capitalized cost reduction of $1,180.00, and security deposit of $0 with the following optional equipment: 50 State Emissions, Convenience Package, Cold Weather Package, Engine Immobilizer, Daytime Running Light Package. $25,442.00 adjusted capitalized cost assumes dealer participation, which may vary. MSRP $29,925.00 includes destination charge. 36 base monthly payments total $9,684.00. Your payment may vary depending on final price. Base monthly payments of $269.00 does not include tax. Taxes, license, title, insurance, regionally required equipment, and other dealer’s charges are extra, and are not included in the amounts shown. Lessee pays maintenance, excess wear and tear and $0.15 per mile charge for all mileage over 12,000 miles per year. Lease end purchase option $16,775.00. Program only available to customers with well qualified credit through Toyota Financial Services. Not all customers will qualify. Delivery must be taken from dealer stock by 6/2/2008 and is subject to availability. Customer's final payment may be higher or lower, depending on final transaction price. Offer cannot be combined with other special offers. See your participating New England Toyota Dealer for more details.
  • Options
    Sensational buying experience at Brian Bemis Toyota in DeKalb, IL !

Negotiated price through 2 e-mails, no pressure and very fair. Set an appointment for test drive and had the vehicle waiting for me when I arrived. Appraised my trade while I was testing, and were again very fair. Compared lease vs finance options, made my decision, and had paperwork ready 20 minutes after that. Done!

For those in the Chicago area, take the extra 30-45 minutes and travel west. You'll be happy you did.
  • Options
    thillajthillaj Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a 2008 Highlander Hybrid at dealer invoice from Toyota of Riverside Fleet Sales
  • Options
    h_dang78h_dang78 Member Posts: 9
    It looks like toyota is extend the 2.9 financing offer for highlander and also offer 750$ customer cash for highlander
  • Options
    The one I heard is 1000 dollars cash back or low apr financing.
  • Options
    I went to Boch today yesterday to test drive a highlander. Prior to going, I got a quote from their internet department. The quote is good so I went in.

But when I got there, the salesman first told me that he could not find the car in stock. And after he checked the inventory list, he said that the car just came in for and has not been checked for safty. So I could not test drive it that day. I don't know whether dealers do the safty check or not after the new cars come in. But I was kind of suspicous.

So I made another appoint to come in today. Before I go, I called the guy to ask whether everything was ready. He told me it was and so I told him I will be there at 2. He called me a few minutes later and told me that the car has a flat tire and a new tire needed to be ordered and put on. So it is better for me to come in tomorrow.

Is it all normal? I have growing suspicions about this. Could this car be damaged in some way? Is it safe to buy this one or to buy another one? Any advice is appreciated.
  • Options
    lucky_777lucky_777 Member Posts: 205
    Flat tire story does look suspicious since all HLs come with full size spare. They could have swapped flat tire with spare and have car ready for a test drive.
  • Options
    Hi lucky, thank you for reply. The salesman told me that it should be ready tomorrow morning so I would be able to take it home with me. (it is like 30 miles drive one way).

Sounds like though that I could get one in silver with the same setup for the same price. Wondering whether I should go for the silver instead of blue.
  • Options
    lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    I am in the market for a Highlander Sport AWD. The best price I've seen here is $32,942. It has leather, moonroof, alarm, cold weather pk, dual climate, auto rear A/C, tow pk, 3rd row seating, wheel locks and cross bars.
  • Options
    rav5rav5 Member Posts: 4
    Just bought a HL Sport AWD from SF Toyota in Cypress pearl with
    CT - Carpet Floor/Cargo Mat Set/3rd Row Mat
    EH - Cold Weather Package
    EJ - Radio: AM/FM/6 CD Changer/9 JBL Speakers
    FE - 50 State Emissions
    HJ - HomeLink Garage Door Opener
    QM - Rear Manual Air Conditioner
    TO - Towing Prep Package

Plus options included at no charge
    Cross Bars
    VIP - RS3200 Plus Security System
    Mudguards

MSRP 34,467.00

SF Toyota's Price : $ 30,900.00 plus tax and license minus 750 rebate

OTD Ended up being 33,137.93.
    Not a great price but reasonable at least as far as I can tell. The other dealers either did not respond,were arrogant or quoted me exorbitant prices.
    Dealt with Jonathan Chan in the Internet dept. Very low key. was offered aftemarket warranty plans but declined. No real pressure. Overall seems good so far.

Any opinions? Does this sound like an OK deal? I know its a little late at this point but just wondered what others have to say
  • Options
    thiilaj, can you provide details of the Highlander Hybrid you purchased? Was it the Limited model? What options did you get and how much did you pay? I am also in Southern California and been looking to buy one now.
  • Options
    Have you tried Wondries in Alhambra? They had about 12 HH Limiteds in stock on their website when I checked about 5 weeks ago and they still list most of those (mostly fully loaded blizzard whites). Their internet guy gave me a price then about $1500 over invoice as best I could tell. They may be motivated to move one of those white ones if they have been sitting there that long. However, I saw an article in USA Today yesterday that said the HH are selling so well that they are down to a 2-week inventory in most places. So prices may be moving in the other direction. Good luck.
  • Options
    stagno33stagno33 Member Posts: 2
    I had a very bad experience at Boch last Sunday. I received a quote via email to lease a new Highlander for $275 down and $275/month. Yes, I know that's cheap but it was based on an ad they had in the paper and I had a detailed quote from a salesman. When I got there they said no problem they had 3 for me to choose from at that price. Long story short after I pick one and go and sit with the finance guy they told me it would by $375/month!!! Needless to say i ended up leaving w/o a deal. I've done some research since and have heard nothing but bad things about Boch. I ended up getting a pretty good deal at Copeland in Brockton. $650 down and $312/month for 4x2 Base w/ winter, convenience, running lights and engine immobilizer. They paid off my Exploder and threw in all weather mats. Very happy....this thing drives like a dream. I drove my ex-boss' Avalon a few times and this feels just like that...only you're higher up.

Good luck.
  • Options
    yesdog99yesdog99 Member Posts: 7
    Okay, so I am new to leasing and I am trying my best to negotiate without knowing what I probably should. BUT, I negotiated a lease on a Base model Highlander with a sticker of 28910. They were SUPPOSEDLY going to give me $398/mo with $1000 out of pocket for 36 mo with 12k/yr. After calling me for 2 days I agreed to go in and then they wanted first months payment also, so I walked out because I have had a bad experience at this dealer before and after hauling in my screaming baby based on this deal, they changed it and it mad me sooo mad. My credit score was 659 which I know isn't great for leasing but they said it was fine. Another dealer tried to make my payment 455 instead of the 398 after getting my score.

Any clue as to whether or not the first deal would be good?? Even if I had to pay the first months payment. I know they were running a 289/mo lease but that was with more $$ down,etc.

If the dealer does not have the color I want.. should I expect them to get one in for me, or only expect to buy their current stock?

Thanks
  • Options
    ocautoseekerocautoseeker Member Posts: 425
    Unlike a purchase, where your first payment is typically due in 30 days from delivery, on a lease, you pay your first month's payment as part of your inception fees. This is very standard. You can indeed roll your first month's payment into your lease, but your payments will be altered.

My suggestion would be to ask them to "break down" the "structure" of the lease.

1) How much are they capping the cost at (selling price)?

2) How far over invoice is that price?

3) What's the money factor? (With a 659 Fico, you'd be considered Tier 3 by TFS)

4) What's the residual value?

5) How much is the bank fee/acquisition fee? Is it "capped" into the lease payments?

6) What do the drive off fees include?

A good dealer will have no problem giving you this information.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    Friend of mine just bought a '09 Corolla LE from Copeland last week. Great experience. I am in the market for the Hightlander Sport AWD. And I hope I will get a great deal there. I bought my Camry from Expressway Toyota. And my relative got his Sienna from Wellesey Toyota. Both locations are good. I believe the new Highlander is based on Avalon if I am correct.
  • Options
    yesdog99yesdog99 Member Posts: 7
    Talked to another dealer.. here is what they offered.
    You were right about tier 3..so they are saying my money factor would be 00237
    MSRP 28635
    Invoice 25982
    Sales Price to me 26282
    36 mo lease with 15K with 54% residual
    With 1235. out of pocket (includes 1st mo, acq fee and plates) the payment would be 485. That payment seems high to me. Does that fit with all the figures above?
    (Payment of 509 with only 500 down)
  • Options
    Yeah - something's not right with their calculations, or maybe there was a miscommunication.

With a cap cost/selling price of $26,282 , a money factor of .00237, and a residual of 54%, you should be at $399/mo + tax (assuming you pay the bank fee upfront).

Toyota Financial Services' rates vary by region, but that money factor seems appropriate for your credit tier. Some regions have a cash rebate, so check with your dealer to see if that can be utilized towards the lease. Check out the incentives & rebates section on Edmunds home page. Be sure and plug in your zip code to get specials in your area.
  • Options
    toy4dtoy4d Member Posts: 1
    Do you think it's unrealistic to expect this SUV for $35,000 OTD including tax & lic?
    2008 Highlander LTD w/Nav
    QR Auto rear HVAC
    HS Heated seats
    PB Power backdoor
    Thanks to everyone posting on this website, I have learned a lot!
  • Options
    If you can get this vehicle, equiped as listed, OTD WITH TTL for 35K....buy as many as you can get.
  • Options
    montalvomontalvo Member Posts: 52
    I'm taking delivery tomorrow on a Limited AWD with:

HD heated seats
    PB power liftgate
    QR rear a/c
    RF rear spoiler
    SR moonroof
    TO tow prep package
    CT Carpet Floor/Cargo Mat Set/3rd Row Mat

I'm in the Sacramento area but bought through CarsDirect.com and am taking delivery from Antioch Toyota (delivered to my house). CarsDirect's website calculates the MSRP on this car at $38,635 and I'm paying $33,584 after $750 rebate and $36,471 OTD.

I know that's not apples-to-apples but it may give you some comparison. I got prices from Costco's Auto Program ($1,200 higher) and from the Edmunds Premier Dealer ($2,200 higher). My local dealer told me that they couldn't get me a Limited without NAV, which I didn't want, and they won't trade with other dealers. By contrast, CarsDirect was a delight and I got my car in three days. It's the third car I've bought through them and I just find it soooo simple.
  • Options
    This sounds like just like the car I bought last week. Mine also has the JBL 6-cd changer and bluetooth. I am in MA though, so the sales tax is only 5%.
  • Options
    jiln74, how did my price compare with the price you got in MA (without tax and license)? From everything I can figure, I ended up paying something less than $400 over invoice, after the $750 rebate. I guess that's not terrible but it still doesn't sound like an outstanding price, given that 1) it's getting toward the end of the model year and 2) everybody but George W. has acknowledged that we're in a recession.
  • Options
    toy4d,

did you buy the Highlander LTD w/ Nav and other options for $35,000 OTD? Tell me which dealer offered you that deal? I am looking for the same in Southern Cal and ready to pull the trigger. Please provide dealer details and sales rep too.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Hi Montalvo,

I actually paid 33732 as selling price. After my research on edmunds.com, a Highlander limited with the options: power backdoor, rear auto ac, heated seats, jbl 6 cd changer/bluetooth, spoiler, tow prep package, moonroof, roofrack, the invoice is 33885. Mine also has carpet floor mats and crossbars. These two will cost around 4 - 500 dollars. I am not sure how you got the figure that 33500 is already 400 above invoice. I think you got a really good deal.

By the way, the invoice here i mentioned included destination charge. Also, since I am using the manufacturer's low APR financing, I did not profit from the 1000 dollars cash rebate.
  • Options
    Hi jilin74,

Did you get the Sport or Limited? What options and accessories did you get? I'm in MA too. Which dealer did you go to? Friend of mine just got a good deal on his '09 Corolla from Copeland Toyota in Brockton. And I am planning to there. I will probably try Expressway Toyota. I bought my Camry there. Thanks.
  • Options
    Hi lok888,

My highlander is the limited trim. With the following options:

-rear auto ac
    -jbl 6 speakers + bluetooth handfree calling
    -heated seats
    -moonroof
    -powered backdoor
    -tow prep package
    -rear spoiler
    -carpeted floor mats
    -crossbars

I bought mine at Boch toyota in Norwood. Before I went, I emailed a bunch of dealers and they gave me the lowest quote (which is about 1200 under the costco buying program price). When I went in, they did honor the price and I also got the 2.9% apr financing from Toyota.

I read some bad reviews online about Boch Toyota, but my personal experience was not bad. Guess it is worth a try to see whether you can get a good deal from them.
  • Options
    By all accounts, every manufacturer model that is an SUV is experiencing significant and dramatic price declines across the country. Apparently, $4.50 a gallon was the trigger point for the change in buyer mentality. So people in the market now for the non-hybrid Highlander should drive a very hard bargain (like well below invoice) or continue to wait for a better deal in a month's time when the dealers are desparate to dump the 2008 models. And if you buy one, be prepared to have a quick decline in resale value. If you are planning to be a long-term owner, no big deal. But this market shift will have long-term ramifications for SUVs.
  • Options
    rs14rs14 Member Posts: 1
    Sorry am new at this. how do I figure out how much to pay for a 2006 highlander 2 wheel drive sport model- it is still at dealership and never been sold. How do i figure what is a good price. in california zip 93436.
    Do I go by TMV- any help appreciated.
    sooryy if wrong place to post.
  • Options
    rs14, first line up your numbers: TMV and invoice price from edmunds and a price quote pulled from the website at CarsDirect.com. If you're a Costco member, you can get a price quote from a dealer through their Auto Program, although in my case, their price was $1,000 higher than CarsDirect. Armed with these numbers, visit your dealer and tell him what you're prepared to pay to buy the car he has sitting on his lot. This is where judgment comes in, balancing all the numbers against a) what you can afford and b) what you're willing to pay to get the car you want.

Waiting until the end of the month will help you drive a better bargain. And, as was stated, the pressure will continue to increase as we get closer to the end of the model year. But by waiting, you run the risk that the car that you've found and like may get sold.

If financing and/or a trade-in is involved, that complicates matters because dealers may give you a deal on the car, knowing they can stick it to you on financing/trade-in or vice versa. You have to be able to roll everything together to calculate the total cost of purchase and that's something that many people can't do correctly, especially the financing part, because they don't fully understand the "time value of money" concept (e.g., $6,000 is worth way more than five years of $100/month payments but many people would erroneously insist that they're equivalent).

Good luck!
  • Options
    jiln74, I was surprised to see you mention $1,000 cash rebate. It's $750 here. And yes, I think my calculation of invoice price was incorrect. In any case, I've got my car and will try not to beat myself up as the prices decline when the 2009's arrive. Hey, it's only money!
  • Options
    Montalvo, that is interesting. So the cash rebate is only $750 in CA. I thought the $750 was a coupon from carsdirect.com, and wanted to ask you how I can get one of those for our next car. :)

The cash rebate is 1000 dollars in MA, guess it varies region by region depending how many cars they still have left?

No matter what, I am really enjoying my new ride. (took a road trip to Maine last weekend and loving it). I am sure you are enjoying it as well. That is what is important, right? :)
  • Options
    Yep, sure seems like a great car and I'm immersed in trying to get my arms around all of the features and gadgets. CA has a new law banning hand-held cell phone use that starts soon so I'm trying to get all my phone numbers listed via Bluetooth.

BTW, my wife and I are attending a wedding in Boston next month and will be spending three nights in Kennebunkport, intending to see the Maine coast. Any places, restaurants, etc. there that you particularly like and/or suggest we check out?
  • Options
    Can't say that we are that familiar with Maine. We drove to Portland, Maine. It is a nice, charming little town, very European looking, with many red-brick buildings. We had lobster at the water-front, a place called DeMillo's. It was nice, a little touristy, but nice. Many other restaurants serve lobsters on paper plates, which just does not give you the right feeling if you want a romantic dinner. :)

Portland also has a very nice trail along the waterfront. Make a pretty good walk on a sunny summer day.

But we have never been to Kennebunkport. So cannot give you much info on that place. Sorry. :(
  • Options
    Well, thanks for the info on Portland just the same, since I think we'll be driving up there.

This afternoon, I noticed that I didn't have a tonneau cover and thought, "Jeez, as loaded as this car was, I should've gotten a tonneau cover!" I called the CarsDirect guy who informed me that it was stowed under the back floor. My 2000 Lexus RX300 had no such place for storage. This really is a cool car!

Happy driving!
  • Options
    That sounds like great deal. I assume you have leather since you only mentioned heated seats. Friend of mine got a Limited AWD with everything you have plus Nav. and rear DVD player for almost $38K last fall from Weymouth Toyota.
  • Options
    Thanks.

The limited trim all comes in leather.

I also emailed Weymouth Toyota and their quote was about 800 dollars higher than Boch's.
  • Options
    jackdotsonjackdotson Member Posts: 3
    I'm having a bear of time working a deal on a new Highlander and would like to run my deal past you guys and see what you think. Here's the car I'm trying to get:

Highlander FWD Limited

Options:

Power back door
    JBL premium stereo upgrade
    Heated front seats
    Special color
    Auto rear AC

Options not listed on Edmunds with sticker prices:

XM sat radio $449
    Park Pilot, rear parking sensors $399
    Mud Guards $179
    Carpeted mats $275
    Vehicle shield (sealant, scotch guard, etc.) $349

Dealers best price, which includes the $750 rebate is $33,987 and a selling price of 34,181 out the door. The selling price is close to the out the door price due to $750 equity for trade-in which pretty much covers those expenses.

Edmunds invoice price with options, minus the options not listed on the site is $31,755 and the $750 rebate brings the price to $31.005. The dealer gave me an invoice showing the total additional options to be $1651 list and 1111.50 invoice. So the total invoice minus the $750 cash back would be 32116.50.

$33,987 - $32,116 = $1871 over invoice price with the rebate included.

Am I doing something wrong here? Is there something I'm not calculating right? I just can't believe I can't him to do better than this. BTW, my trade-in is a immaculate 2006 BMW-325i and edmunds list the trade-n value at $24,700 and they offered me $23,000 and said that was the best offer they could get.

Anyhow, I was only looking to get the car paid off so it's just a plus in the whole equation. Is this out the door price way out of line?

Please help.

Thanks.
  • Options
    Are you sure that there is no moonroof and rear spoiler? Those usually come with the package such as power back door , jbl audio, etc. That will increase the invoice price.

I am a little confused by your selling price and out of door prices.

Also, do you still need parking sensor when you have the built-in backup camera?
  • Options
    newwhipnewwhip Member Posts: 4
    I am looking at an 08 limited 4x4 with nav, sunroof, bluetooth and heated seats. and a few other little things
    I'm in PA.
    mspr $40,264
    they offer it to me at $36,100

I can't get the $750 cash back because I want the 4.9% for 60 months.

Does this seem reasonable or is it still high?
  • Options
    skibearvalleyskibearvalley Member Posts: 2
    Hi Ocautoseeker,

In one of your earlier thread, you had mentioned about knowing a fleet manager in bay area. I live in bay area so wondering if you can give me his/her contact information. I'm looking for 2008 limited FWD highlanders with DVD/Nav option.

thanks.
  • Options
    This deal is very good. I just got basically the same vehicle with special paint and the dealer installing Sirius radio for 36700, so your 36100.

Make sure to ask what their financing rate would be for 60 months if you took the cash back. If the difference between that and the 4.9% is less than $750 over the loan term, you're better off with the cash back. But, my guess would be you're better off with the 4.9 on that long of a term.

Enjoy!
  • Options
    You bet! E-mail me at ocautoseeker@yahoo.com and I'll give you his contact 411.