Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Highlander Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• mtairyordgemtairyordge Member Posts: 144
    I am not sure what the FEW OTHER THINGS are. I purchased a 4x4 lmtd with those options you listed and Rear Seat Entertainment factory installed not the dealer option. I also got Towing and something else that escapes me.

I paid $36000. Look at Carmax and see if they have one equiped the same way and show that to them.

Are you trading a vehicle in? If not I would squeeze them for a few hundred more. I bet they have more room.
  • jilin74jilin74 Member Posts: 24
    wow, so you got the Navigation + rear seat dvd 4x4 limited for 36k? That is really a great deal. Does that already include the 1000 dollar cash rebate?
  • ratbert613ratbert613 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

Am looking at a used 2008 Sport Highlander 4x4 with no frills with 15,000 miles. Asking price is $22000. Unfortunately, Edmunds doesn't seem to have a TMV for this model yet. What do you all think would be a reasonable offer?

Thank you!
  • santobonisantoboni Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2008 Highlander base 2WD with Toyota's Option F (MSRP $29,355). Only have 4,600 miles on the vehicle and except for a few bumper dings (we live in a city) there are no issues at all with the car (still smells new). But because we live in the city I get crap MPG (13-16 MPG) and am considering getting something with better MPG. Because there are no published used prices for 08s yet, pricing has been a bit of a crap shoot. I have someone who is interested in buying, but only wants to pay $22,000, which seems low to me. She said that a dealer in the DC area quoted her $23,800 for the same vehicle, new, and with power seats (which mine does not have). Based on my shopping for the same vehicle a few months ago that price seems impossible (no other dealer would even come close to the price I paid for the car, which was more than $23,800). Am looking for feedback on both a used price and whether a dealer quote of $23,800 is realistic.
  • 2002champs2002champs Member Posts: 11
    Have you tried checking websites like AutoTrader.com where you can at least see what recent used price listings are? I have a friend who was out shopping this weekend in Southern California who had 2 different dealers tell him that they would only offer 50% of MSRP for a 2008 SUV he wanted to trade in. They said there is so little interest in them now no dealer wants to get stuck holding them on their lots for months. So they are aggressive on selling price and will pay little on trade-in. That might explain the scenario your buyer presented with such a low sales price on the new Highlander near the end of the model year. If the same holds true in your area, you might be fortunate to get $22K for yours. Good luck.
  • ocautoseekerocautoseeker Member Posts: 425
    $22k is a realistic resale price on a used '08. That is ~25% in first year depreciation and very typical on most vehicles. I'm sure you've heard the addage before that new vehicles typically lose 20-30% of their value as soon as you drive 'em off the lot - case holds true for you here. The used car market is extremely soft right now, so to even have a buyer is a blessing.
  • notsofast3notsofast3 Member Posts: 5
    I live in Philly and need feeback as to what is a good price for a Hybrid Limited with
    --JBL Premium Audio/Bluetooth
    --Dual AC
    --Manual Rear AC
    --Moonroof
    --Anti-Theft

Edmunds shows the invoice to be $38,900 and their estimated price is $43,500 which is only $300 under MSRP. That sounds ridiculous to me. Also if anyone can guess what type of depreciation hit a used 2008 Hybrid should take, I'd be all ears.

THANKS
  • mdhuttonmdhutton Member Posts: 195
    Be glad you're in Philly. Anything Hybrid is going for VERY close to, if not over MSRP right now.
  • ed111ed111 Member Posts: 22
    Can anyone provide any information on recent prices and buying experience for the 2008 Highlander Hybrid?

And the 2009 Highlander Hybrid when it is available?
  • mliramlira Member Posts: 4
    I got a quote for a 2008 2WD Sport with Nav and DVD for 32,700. this does not include tax, License or the current rebate of either $750 or $1000. So I think I'm looking at about... 35K OTD. What do you guys think??
  • mtairyordgemtairyordge Member Posts: 144
    There was no rebate available at the time. I purchase it over Memorial Day. I had my wife at home on the internet while I was negotiating and we were able to trim $1500 off what the dealer was quoting by steering them to other dealers quotes. eventually used CARMAX as the basis.
  • rambo007rambo007 Member Posts: 23
    I got Edmunds TMV for this vehicle with the options (navigation and rear seat entertainment) as $35626 without the cash discount. When I tried to negotiate with the dealer, he send me a quote for the same for $ 36697. What do you guys think..? Can I expect him to reduce the price anymore..? Please advice.
    I got almost exactly the same vehicle (no rear seat ent) for $36,300, so you're in the ballpark. I'd subtract the cash rebate from his offer and do the deal. It's fair.
  • drfencedrfence Member Posts: 3
    I'm pricing a 2008 Highlander Sport with the options below. I have a few questions:

1) The dealers are all saying then when you get to a sport model you have to take most of the options below. The moonroof I don't especially want. Can't I just special order one or is it too late in the model year?

2) The dealers here in Atlanta are quoting a Manuf. Delv, Proc, & Hndlg fee of $735. I assume this is the same as the Edmunds destination price of $899?

3) Does this mean the best invoice price I will see is $31,683 - $1,000 incentive + $735 destination = $31,484? Can I get it below invoice?

Here is the pricing report including MSRP INVOICE and TMV
    LA Leather & Heated Seats (3-row) $1,840 $1,472 $1,514
    SR Power Moonroof $850 $680 $699
    EJ JBL Premium Audio & Bluetooth $630 $473 $491
    QR Auto Rear HVAC $585 $468 $481
    PB Power Back Door $400 $320 $329
    QC Front Dual Zone Auto HVAC $375 $300 $309
    PC Special Paint $220 $176 $181
    TO Towing Prep. Package $220 $176 $181
    HJ Homelink $125 $100 $103
    Color Adjustment - - -$37
    Blizzard Pearl
    Destination Charge $685 $685 $685
    Total with Options $36,080 $31,683 $32,146
    Incentives & Rebates -$1,000
    Customer Cash Adjusted True Market Value $31,146
    In GA there is an $899 Administration Fee and the pricing report also shows a $685 destination charge. Is this Administration Fee negotiable? The destination charge says it's non negotiable. Is this the same as the "documentation fee" that most of the dealers here are charging?

One dealer quoted invoice + tax, tag and title and the other quoted invoice + $600 for a "doc fee". That makes me think the doc fee is just additional profit for them.
  • baji_nbaji_n Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I live in northern NJ

Highlander base 4WD V6

Options A
    Leather seatsackage
    Rear DVD system

Convenience Package-includes black roof rails and cargo area Tonneau cover (CQ)
    50 state emissions (FE)
    AM/FM 6-disc in-dash CD changer with satellite radio capability [6], MP3/WMA playback capability and six speakers (DJ)
    CFC-free rear air conditioning system with air filter[4] (QM)
    Cold Weather Package-includes windshield wiper de-icer grid and heated sideview mirrors (EH)
    Engine immobilizer (PR)
    Light Control Package-includes Daytime Running Lights (DRL) and auto on/off function (RL)
    Towing Prep Package [3]-includes 5000-lb. towing capacity, heavy-duty radiator with engine oil cooler, 200-watt fan coupling, transmission oil cooler with water cooler, 150-amp alternator and prewired harness (TO)

On road price dealer asks 32500 ?
    Is this normal ?
    Please send me your views and waht would be the best price .Thanks
    :)
  • worthminingworthmining Member Posts: 5
    What is TMV? Where did you get the pricing report?

I quoted on carsdirect.com, this options list gives $32,484 based on a 2008 Sport 2WD, where do you see the $1000 rebate? there is a $745 rebate expires end of July.

LA Leather & Heated Seats (3-row)
    SR Power Moonroof
    EJ JBL Premium Audio & Bluetooth
    QR Auto Rear HVAC
    PB Power Back Door
    QC Front Dual Zone Auto HVAC
    PC Special Paint
    TO Towing Prep. Package
    HJ Homelink
    Blizzard Pearl
    Destination Charge
    The quote is from Longo Toyota 7/20/08, on a 2008 Highlander Limit with the following options:

SR Power Moonroof
    EJ JBL Premium Audio & Bluetooth
    QR Auto Rear HVAC
    PB Power Back Door
    PC Special Paint
    TO Towing Prep. Package
    Carpet Floor/Cargo Mat Set
    Blizzard Pearl
    Destination Charge
    SIRIUS Satellite Radio $199

The dealer is asking $33515 + tax + fees, OTD $36880, Have I been rip off? I really don't care about the JBl, SIRIUS radio crap, all I need is the rear auto airconditioner, and the power back door.

With this price, Acura MDX is offerring me $34272 + tax + fees, base model though, this make me having a real hard time to decide. With less than 1K, MDX is a much better ride, AWD and luxury brand, well highlander is a 2WD but full of goodies.
  • chuckjrchuckjr Member Posts: 95
    We went and drove the highlander and liked it more than i thought i would. I didn't want to talk price because we still have several vehicles to look at. The sales manager said that the MF on a 36 month lease was .002 (i think) yet he couldn't quote me residual or MF on 24 month lease.

totyota.com has $329 w $2279 down for 36 (i assume for the base model)

anyone have the factors on the 24 and 35 month /12k lease?
    Thanks
    Could anybody tell me what is the basic difference between the sport edition and limited edition (in the view point of a family) as the price difference is very huge..?.. :confuse: Does it really worth to buy the limited edition compared to the sport edition. Thank you :)
    This vehicle with voice activated navigation and rear seat entertainment I got for $35251 after all discounts. I sent edmunds quote and negotiated...
  • carsearch2008carsearch2008 Member Posts: 10
    33K miles and in good condition. Former Enterprise rental car. $ 17,977 plus ttl. this is a pretty good deal but Im sure they got it at the auction for about $13,000 - $15,000. I'd like to see BLACK book or MMR Pricing on this one before I buy - or just show me the invoice.
  • jcampodjcampod Member Posts: 15
    The standard package with navigation, etc. (i.e. about everything except rear DVD). $35,105 from Fitzgerald Auto mall in Gaithersburg, MD. This is a no haggle dealer and I had an excellent experience with the internet salesperson. I ordered the vehicle and it was delivered as specified and I couldn't be happier. The salesman even picked me up at the metro station, no problem. Another satisfied Fitzmall.com customer!
    $35,000 for a new highlander is NOT a good deal in my opinion - but then again I would not buy a new car due to the rapid depreciation. Is that above MSRP?
  • jcampodjcampod Member Posts: 15
    It is $1200ish below invoice, with the option package I got. (NAV, leather, moonroof, heated seats, tow package, power rear door, rear HVAC). MSRP for the car was just over $40K. Their in-stock Highlanders are priced $469 below invoice and then I got the $750 rebate on top of that.
    My wife and I just purchased a 2008 Limited Highlander for $33,279. The original price was $33,100 and we forgot to ask if it had floor mats and we got there and it didn't. I wasn't going to argue since the price was so low. Here are the options: 3rd row leather, JBL w/bluetooth, auto rear ac, power back door, dual zone auto ac and towing prep, keyless entry, wood interior, etc

I've learned a few things about Toyota:

1) ALWAYS ask if it includes floor mats. What a ridiculous option .. floor mats. One of the dealers explained that up north people want rubber mats due to the snow.
    2) The $899 "set administration fee" shown on edmunds appears to be nothing but profit. At least in this economy and at this stage of the model year. I've not had a good explanation as to why the southeast has to pay this cost. Don't pay it.
    3) The dealer's mfr delivery and handling and the hundreds in processing fees are nothing but profit too, don't pay them.
    4) ** BEFORE you go to the dealer ask for the price "out the door" and broken down. Then you can shop this price around to other dealers before you decide. Toyota is competitive among dealers and some will beat the price if you bring in an e-mail.

One of the guys from Toyota at Mall of Georgia said he'd match the price. He says "come on up, I'll sell you the same car". So I told him to break it down in writing, the out the door price. What does he come back with?? $35+

I bought from Cobb Toyota and the only other dealer that was willing to match this price was Southern Toyota. They were going to give me the same car but with sunroof for $33,450 out the door. I didn't want the sunroof so I didn't take it.

Good luck!
    Agreed. That money is enough to get an Acura MDX at the moment, comparing to MDX's AWD, Highlander's 4WD is a joke.
  • houston_manhouston_man Member Posts: 34
    Thought I would post our experience from the Toyota dealer north of Houston, TX. They are part of the Gulf Coast Toyota group. I am a "Tier 1" customer they tell me, having bought 2 cars over the past 3 years via my corporate "discounted" deal. I leased this one back in Dec 2007.

This is my first leasing experience with Toyota, so I thought I would pass it along. I follow these boards, and generally agree that the Highlander does not lease "well." I will be open to leasing another vehicle in the future, but not this particular one. Here are the stats for a 36 month lease:

2008 HL Limited 2WD Sandy Beach Metallic. JBL radio (no nav), running boards, pwr lift gate.
    Gross Cap-$34500
    Adj Cap-$37000
    Lease Factor-.00219
    LEV- 49.16%
    Annual Mileage Allowance-18,000
    Zero $ down

They tossed in free oil changes and tire rotations for the life of the lease. I got an extension to the basic warranty to 54,000 miles for dealer cost. No problems with the vehicle to date
  • mherr05mherr05 Member Posts: 14
    Why can't I find a basic sport model in SoCal???!!!

I have emailed multiple dealers and no one seems to have a basic sport model available. The lowest starting price i've been given is $33,845 with options of course. According to Edmunds the TMV on the sport(fwd, blizzard pearl) with no options is $29,015. Not including the new $1,000 rebate that came out yesterday. The lowest offer i've gotten is $30,110. I am about to pull my hair out!!! I am being offered $3,000 off but since the starting price is so high its not coming down to where i'd like it.

We are considering the base model too so waiting to hear back offers on that. But I dont feel confident that they will be very competitive. Also, does anyone know if the base model has the console display or does that just come with the sport and ltd models? It seems like a a really nice feature. The base just seems so much plainer to me, but my husband would rather go with that then spend the $$ on the sport.

Am I expecting too much? I've seen some of the deals on here and some are really good.
  • zemi01zemi01 Member Posts: 1
    Just wanted post price paid on 2008 Highlander Limited paid on 8/2/08. Bought in Dallas, TX at Cowboy Toyota, very nice staff, and internet sales was great.

MSRP 36,030 - Paid 34785 OTD I added 7yr/100k plat zero deductible, for an addition 985 so 33,800 OTD before the warranty. They also gave me a fair price on the trade in. Not the best deal out there but not too bad.

Equipped with JBL, heated seats, power rear door, rear AC, tint, carpets set.

Hope this helps someone in the market.
  • 1headlight1headlight Member Posts: 24
    I am in Southern California. Asked here back in early July with no responses. Anybody know when dealers will take delivery?

Nobody seems to know for sure, just seem unverified rumors.

Thanks in advance.
  • rocuriumrocurium Member Posts: 12
    Hi there,

I am interested in purchasing a highlander Limited edition 4x4 without Navi in Southern CA. The prices I have been quoted ranged from 34.5K to 36K. What would be considered a good price given Toyota is doing the cash rebate this month?

Thanks
  • mherr05mherr05 Member Posts: 14
    Im in SoCal too looking for a sport model with minimal options and I cant get it for less than $33k. I had a dealer look at all inventory across the region and cant offer me any less. I stopped looking for now. Maybe when the 09s come out they will be willing to discount more. IDK
  • smvsmv Member Posts: 1
    Could you tell me the dealer/location and if possible e-mail me the quote?
  • citivascitivas Member Posts: 144
    Why has this thread gone dead? No new purchase posts in over 10 days? All the competition -- Pilots, CX-9's, MDX's -- have very active discussions. Highlander sales are about the same as Pilots and way ahead of CX-9's so I don't get it.
    I dont know why it is dead but the prices here in Austin are pretty much stable. The 2007 all wheel drive highlander with 33K miles is still $17977 at Maund Toyota on 183.
  • texhightexhigh Member Posts: 1
    Just got a new 2008 limited at invoice minus $1000 rebate (1000 under invoice).
    Found 2 different dealers who were willing to do that.
    So search around a bit...
  • scottgbwiscottgbwi Member Posts: 85
    I read quite a bit about the pros & many cons of purchasing a DEMO car. One with over 10,000 miles I'm considering. Is the not knowing how the car was treated during the initial miles just too much to get over, or is it worth the chance with the warranty & all if I get a good deal on a quality highlander? Any additional opinions I would be greatful for.... Thanks
  • boston26boston26 Member Posts: 13
    Hello,

I felt strongly to reply to this as I was on the same boat when I visited one of the greater boston toyota dealership and they had a fully loaded highlander hybrid with about 6K miles on it. Hopefully my perspective will help you and not confuse you. There were a couple of things that made me walk away from the deal. I eventually bought a brand new highlander hybrid limited with navigation on Feb, 2008.

First, they started to make the calculations with MSRP as the starting point. Ultimately, after the discounts they were offering since it was a demo, it came out to be the same as the invoice price. I bought the same car brand new for $500 over the invoice price!! So, in my case, I was not able to get the price significantly lower than the invoice price. But, things might have changed as it is already around 6 months after I bought mine.

Secondly, you should ask yourself if you will be REALLY happy with a used car. I wanted a brand new car when I was spending close to $45K.

Make sure you will be happy with your decision ultimately. That's what matters ultimately! And hopefully the above helps.
    Demos are like rentals - most people drive 'em like they stole 'em. I'd always buy new.
  • scottgbwiscottgbwi Member Posts: 85
    Thanks for the info. I will check into what I kind of a deal I could get on a new vehicle. I figured I won't consider the DEMO unless it's at least 10k below MSRP. Then even I still have big concerns. Dealer is saying it was driven by one person, of course. :)
  • 1headlight1headlight Member Posts: 24
    I am about to start attempting to negociate the best deal on a Highlander Sport 2wd with leather, popular plus package, and 3rd row seat.

Closest dealer lists this model as #6950. On their website it lists at $35,499.00 (without t/l)

What is the best way to leverage oneself to get the best deal. Get email quotes from other dealers then start shoping at the dealer?

Any and all experiences and comments are appreciated. I am in Los Angeles.
  • h_dang78h_dang78 Member Posts: 9
    you can easily get them 1000$ under invoice without much negotiate. This is on a based model. I would assume you can get more discount (maybe 2000$ off invoice)on the limited model since they don't sell too well. This is in Texas
  • netkillernetkiller Member Posts: 2
    just got a limited 4x4 with everything except dvd for $34k after $1k rebate.
    hi there,

i almsot bought a highlander 08 model, limited, 4x4 with navi, rear climate control, front heated seats, moonroof, and power rear door in S. CA for 36612 before 1000 cash rebate. also asked dealer to throw in all weather cargo mat for the trunk and the front seat with cargo net. the vehicle has the exact interior and exterior colors of my choice. they also offered me financing with 5.85% for 60 months. suggestions are welcome.
    hi there,

which region are you in? were u able to select the color of ur choice? when u say "everything" does it include navi, power rear door, heated front seat, rear climate control?

thanks
  • netkillernetkiller Member Posts: 2
    This is in Boston, MA. It's classic silver, the color I wanted. It has navi, power rear door, moonroof, heated seats, rear AC, towing, spoiler, mudguards, crossbar, and carpet mat...
  • h_dang78h_dang78 Member Posts: 9
    Please post the MSRP of the car and maybe invoice price or how much discount off invoice so we know we are talking about the same discount.
  • voyager5voyager5 Member Posts: 1
    Hello All,
    I am looking for 08-HH Base 2WD, got few quotes from Dealers in Central Ohio Region ..the OTD ranges form 27K to 28K, inclusive of 1000 cashback from Toyota.
    (Tax and title are approx $2000.00)

Should I wait till Sept End Oct first week for better deals..any idea...

Thanks in adv...
  • karens2008karens2008 Member Posts: 26
    HI,
    where is Toyota of Orange? Orange, CT? Why didn't you like the Lexus RX 400h? I wanted tobuy a Lexus ad am very curious about what you said. Price wise I know it's a big difference but i can get a "deal" on a used on in my area (CT). Thanks.