Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Highlander Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    findmefindme Member Posts: 36
    I'm looking at a sport with navi, power rear door, auto dual zone climate front and auto rear, sunroof, leather. The MSRP is 39774. Now that the 09's are out, what offer should I make? Anybody with similar options care to share with me. . . We've been holding out for good deals. Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    Our rebate is 1250 here. Where are you? What was your MSRP?
  • Options
    beechboybeechboy Member Posts: 5
    Just purchased a Base FWD 2008 Highlander for about $23,150 + 5% Mass. tax + doc fee. This includes the $1500 rebate available in New England. Seems like a pretty good deal. Only had the basic options that most all bases have. MSRP was around $28,500.

If you don't need third row seats or AWD, both of which are signficantly overrated, a FWD Highlander can be had for some great prices.
  • Options
    eazyc10eazyc10 Member Posts: 8
    I'm in Wisconsin. I think the 2000 rebate covered the "chicago land area" which included Wisconsin I guess.

MSRP was $40,XXX
  • Options
    eazyc10eazyc10 Member Posts: 8
    For what it's worth the majority of the dealers I worked with had the same limited models that were down to the low 34,XXX range in the Wisconsin, Chicago area that included the $2000 rebate.
  • Options
    Thank you. The MSRP on the one I'm looking at is 39, 774 and their asking 35,5 without taxes, titles, etc. I'm trying to decide what I should offer. I think I should be able to get less than 35k OTD. Your MSRP is very close even though you have a limited. Thank you for your reply.
  • Options
    burtdd89burtdd89 Member Posts: 1
    I too am looking to buy in Baton Rouge. Did you buy yet and if so what kind of deal did you get?
  • Options
    shorty101shorty101 Member Posts: 30
    I gave up on the Highlander. I tried for two weeks to get a lower price. The best that I could get was invoice- rebates. (Sport $29,500 before TTL, Limited $31,500 before TTL) So I bought a Lincoln MKX for $8,000 of MSRP. I got a low interest rate a great price on my trade-in.
  • Options
    briegelbriegel Member Posts: 139
    So...how much did your MKX come to before TTL?
  • Options
    shorty101shorty101 Member Posts: 30
    The Lincoln MKX (Ultimate Package) was $30,255. It was more than the Sport. It does not have the backup camera but it has heated and cooled seats. It has more features then the Highlander Limited. I guess it just depends on what you want. I just could not see myself paying $29,500 for an automobile without leather seats. I have small childern. The Highlander may ride a bit better but I am happy with my choice. I am tall and I felt that I had more room in the MKX

Total Break Down of Cost
    MSRP $38,005-Rebates $7,750 -Trade $9,000 +TTL $1,844 = Final Price $23,099.

Financed for 36 months 4.33%
  • Options
    mvalley59mvalley59 Member Posts: 1
    The dealer in Asheville, NC (JIMBARKLEYTOYOTA.COM) has prices BEFORE tax, title & registration posted on their web site. I purchased an 08 4wd Ltd loaded this past April from the Vero Beach, Florida dealer after informing them of the NC price. They matched the NC price. Of course since then the price has dropped $2,500.
  • Options
    jath59jath59 Member Posts: 3
    Just bought an awd 08 Highlander Limited in MA with nav and dvd, heated seats, crossbars, auto rear a/c, moonroof, power rear door.
    The MSRP was $42,418. We paid $35,000 with the $1500 rebate (before tax, title and registration). If we had waited a few days, we would have gotten the new $2000 rebate. :cry: Is $35,000 a good deal?
    I was also surprised to find out that this car is not satellite ready in the traditional sense. We still need to pay upwards of $650 for antenna and receiver. The button for SAT is in there, so I guess Toyota considers this "ready."
  • Options
    mdhuttonmdhutton Member Posts: 195
    When any manufacturer claims a vehicle is "satellite ready," they're referring to the head unit. As you correctly point out, the controls are there and the head unit will accept an antenna and receiver. They haven't done anything wrong.

Very few HLs I've seen come with SAT factory-installed. It is almost always a dealer-installed accessory, but $650 is very high. I paid $400 in May on my '08 HL LTD AWD. Make sure to ask for a technician who has specifically been trained on the install...you'll be glad you did as antenna placement and cable routing are much more clean.

Good luck.
  • Options
    jath59jath59 Member Posts: 3
    We own a 2006 Honda Pilot that came entirely "satellite ready." We drove off the lot with satellite radio playing and had 3 free months of service.

Although I don't think they did anything illegal, I think saying "satellite ready" implies only a subscription is needed. But maybe I think that only because I have the experience of buying from a different manufacturer.

The price given was $250 to install, $399 for the equipment.
  • Options
    hk52005hk52005 Member Posts: 23
    Hi. I negotiated a deal on a Manager's Demo with 5,500 miles. What are your thoughts on this?

Highlander Sport 4WD
    JBL Radio/6 disc changer/bluetooth pkg
    Cold Weather pkg
    Front Climate Control w/steering wheel controls
    Auto rear AC for 2nd and 3rd row
    Power moonroof
    Tow pkg
    Cargo mats
    Delivery processing and handling fee
    Total MSRP: $35,080

Total deal $30,500
    We can also take a rebate of $1250 if we decide not to do the 0% financing and pay in cash. In this case we got price down to $29,000 even.

Is this a good price considering there are 5,500 miles on this vehicle?

Thanks!
  • Options
    This is very interesting...the cars are brand new right? Not demos?
  • Options
    krb1krb1 Member Posts: 15
    After I have read several posts here I feel like a fool. I have just purchased a 2008 Highlander Ltd. 4WD pre-certified with almost 25,000 miles on it for $36,967 + tax and fees. (purchase made in Connecticut)
    It has leather seats in all 3 rows, JBL premium audio system with 4-CD changer & Bluetooth, power back door, heated seats, satelite radio ready, navigation, special paint, driver's seat with power adjustable lumbar support, rear view camera, dual illuminating vanity mirrors, alarm system, smart key start, keyless entry w/chrome trim on the outside, rear heat system with controls in back, sunroof.
    After reading several of the posts I am realizing that I was completely taken advantage of. I specifically selected a dealership that is a BBB member and also provides AAA members with their best haggle-free price.
    The only positive thing that I can add is that I will have free oil change for life, free tires, and free battery for life as long as I service the car with them.
    I thought that I did my research on pricing, but I guess I still have a lot to learn. Ouch, this hurts.
    krb1
  • Options
    cfunncfunn Member Posts: 7
    Vehicle is 2008 Limited, Peral White, Ash Leather. Add ons are 6 disc JBL system, Blue tooth, Heated front seats, Power rear door, Rear Air, Window tint, XM installed, Carpet Mat set, Wheel locks. Current offer=$31809.22 + TTL $34046.36 drive out. No finacing. Taking the $2000 rebate. Question about rebate. Should I be looking for a better price and get the rebate cash, or are they always going to take the rebate from the price offered? I guess it is all the same, just looks like the dealer is giving less, by giving me the rebate I already get?
  • Options
    dchoosiedchoosie Member Posts: 5
    Hello - I am looking to purchase a 2008 Highlander SPORT 4WD in the next few weeks. The options are:
    Auto Rear HVAC
    Cold Weather Pkg
    Front Dual Zone Auto HVAC
    Homelink
    JBL w/BlueTooth
    Sunroof
    Tow package
    Mud Guards
    Carpet Floor/Cargo Mats

The dealer is offering me $30,934 +Title + Taxes + Tags + processing fee. This does not include the 2k rebate that they're offering now. The out the door price is 32,300. I looked up the invoice and it's $31300 (this includes the destination charge). In short, they're giving me roughly $400 below invoice. Good deal or not? I've seen some posts here that say I should be able to get at least $2000 below invoice. Are people actually getting that? And is that with the 2k cash rebate or not?

Any help you can provide would be great. With the economy the way it is, we're trying to save money where possible!!!
  • Options
    Does your price of $31,809.22 include the $2k rebate already?
  • Options
    mdhuttonmdhutton Member Posts: 195
    Sorry that happend, krb1. My first inclination to run, not walk from this deal would have been the 25K on the odometer for an '08 model-year HL. Research, research, research....

In today's economy, it is a buyer's market. If you've got the credit score to warrant the Top Tier financing options, you can pretty much name your price. If the salesperson doesn't want to do the deal, leave and wait for the inevitable phone call in a few days from his/her sales manager, then the new car manager, then the general manager, and then the owner.
  • Options
    cfunncfunn Member Posts: 7
    Yes the offer is 33809.22 less $2000 rebate= 31809.22 After TTL drive out is $34046.36. I was hoping for a drive out around $30,000. no financing. Am I crazy or will December help me get there?
    Craig in Houston Texas
  • Options
    I looked up invoice prices for the options that you listed. It looks like the MSRP would be something like $36770 + the 745 destination charge. If that figure is accurate, the invoice is $32421+ the 745 destination charge. I think there is a dealer holdback of 632 available now. Taking all of that into account, the dealer (I think) should offer you 32,534. If you include the 2k rebate, that brings you closer to the $30k + TTL you're looking for. Now all of this is number crunching. I'm not sure a dealer would agree with my logic. Others, please chime in with your experience. I'm still trying to get a good deal on my Highlander Sport 4wd.
  • Options
    krb1krb1 Member Posts: 15
    Thanks for the post, mdhutton. I am the most upset with myself for not walking away. Well, too late now. I still might go to AAA and tell them about my experience.
  • Options
    jmg_50jmg_50 Member Posts: 2
    Hi! I am looking for pricing on a Highlander Limited AWD in NJ which comes prepackaged with some options and has an MSRP of roughly 38K. So far I have gotten quotes in the low 33K (including destination but excl TTL). THis includes the 1250 for not taking the 0% APR financing. Is this a good deal? In this 38K MSRP SUV you are not getting navigation and rear entertainment. For that there is a 42K MSRP model. Also, what is the 2K rebate people are talking about? I am not able to find out anything about it.

Would be interested in learning what other quotes people have.
  • Options
    I have seen posts saying sellers will sell 2000 below invoice too. Unfortunately, the dealer doesn't agree. I offered a dealership 34,500 OTD for a sport 4WD with leather, sunroof, power rear door, auto rear, climate control, navi, heated front seats, loaded with everything I'd like. THe MSRP was 39,774. They would not go any lower than 37,157 OTD. I think with 2009's out with this economy, my offer should have been taken. Am I only wishful thinking? We've been looking for a year, but I can keep waiting until the price comes down.
  • Options
    thundercrackerthundercracker Member Posts: 14
    Sorry about your overpayment, but hey, you like the car, you can afford the car, it will be pretty much maintenance free for a while. Enjoy it!
  • Options
    talen316talen316 Member Posts: 32
    Toyota just increased the rebate on 08 Highlanders to $5k, at least here in SE.
  • Options
    mailman13mailman13 Member Posts: 9
    hello talen316,

I see a $3000 rebate on the 08 Highlanders here around Atlanta. What locations have the $5000 rebate please?

Thanks

Sorry, I found info on the $5000 rebate on another site.
  • Options
    scippyscippy Member Posts: 5
    I am not sure where in the heck everyone is posting their Highlander Hybrid buying experiences but I cannot seem to find too many posts. Of note, in the Los Angeles Times today a Southern California dealership advertised $4000 off MSRP on all Highlander Hybrids and Camry Hybrids. I was not particularly impressed with their customer service - mediocre to average at best - so I am not about to give them any free PR. Plus they only had 2009 Highlander Hybrids. Maybe I had not looked around enough but the base 2009's all seem to have a higher MSRP. About $1500 more than the base 2008's?!? The rear A/C (at head level) seems to be in all the 2009s. Perhaps that is why they cost more?

Regardless, is everyone else seeing the Highlander Hybrids coming down in price? Maybe because of the economy and lowering gas prices? Or maybe nobody thinks it is worth buying a Highlander Hybrid (as opposed to a Non-Hybrid Highlander), again, due the economy and lowering gas prices?

I would love to see more Hybrid cars on the road for environmental reasons. I am just curious if anyone else is finally seeing some price drops in the Highlander Hybrid market.
  • Options
    Will you please post the link for the $5k rebate? I looked for it in the SE region and other regions and couldn't find it.
  • Options
    I received pricing on a Salsa red sport 4wd with everything you listed except for the navi for $33500 OTD. If you add the navigation back in, I think your offer is fair. Have you had the dealers compete with each other?
  • Options
    I think Toyota just announced the $5k rebate as of 11/14 here in the SE. The dealers I've been talking to alerted me to that.

If you use the CarsDirect site, you'll see the $5k being applied to the pricing... at least if you use a south east zip code.

Edmunds TMV pricing did not show it last time I checked.
  • Options
    Thank you for your reply. I really haven't tried other dealers because the dealers around here do not have any SUV's that compare option wise to this one and I really like this one. I have tried another dealer with just basic options to see how low they'd go and they don't want to budge either. It seems as if the bad economy hasn't influenced their sellings yet. I'll keep waiting!
    I saw several posts about 5K rebate? Is Tenn in SE? I live in KY and I don't think we are part of SE. How do I find out regions? We're planning a trip to Tenn next month. I wouldn't mind driving home in a new Highlander since KY dealerships don't want to lower their prices. This forum is so informative!
    Thanks!
  • Options
    I believe only the following states are considered to be within Toyota's SE region:
    NC, SC, GA, AL and FL

Carmax in Laurel, MD looks like they still have 23 Highlander Sport 4WD's in their inventory. Unfortunately, none of them appear to be transferrable to another Carmax location so you would have to be willing to make the road trip.

For reference: We just purchased a Blizzard Pearl Highlander Sport AWD in NC with following options: Cloth interior, JBL stereo, Sunroof, Front dual zone air, Rear auto air, Power back door, 3rd row seat, Towing prep, Homelink, Carpet mats/cargo mat, Sirius installed, body side molding, mudflaps, rear bumper protector.

Auto sales tax in NC is 3%.

$29,500 final drive off price.
  • Options
    If you find an aggressive enough dealer you can knock another $1000 or so off of that price.The rebate in New Jersey is $1250 or you can take the 0% financing.
  • Options
    Just signed the deal for my limited. The options are:
    JBL
    Heated seats
    Power Back Door
    Auto Air
    Spoiler
    Moonroof
    Tow Pkg
    Wheel Locks
  • Options
    mj_supermanmj_superman Member Posts: 6
    First post here... close to making a deal and looking for thoughts...

08 Sport FWD - Navigation, Leather & Heated Seats, Power Moonroof, Auto Rear HVAC, Power Back Door, Front Dual Zone Auto HVAC, anti-theft w/Immobilizer, Towing Prep, Homelink, Floor Mats
    $29,988 OTD (price, tax (7%), tag transfer, no trade, $5000 instead of 0%)

08 Limited FWD - Navigation, Power Moonroof, Auto Rear HVAC, Heated Seats, Power Back Door, Towing Prep, Rear Spoiler, Floor Mats
    $32,337 OTD (price, tax (7%), tag transfer, no trade, $5000 instead of 0%)

Are there any differences between loaded Sport and Limited other than: smart key, power passenger seat, puddle lights, "wood" trim? If that's it, doesn't seem worth $2,400 for the Limited even though smart key is very cool.

Thanks!
  • Options
    kmshill731kmshill731 Member Posts: 1
    Can you tell me what dealership you go this deal at?
  • Options
    wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    Picking mine up today. MSRP $41,679 / Purchase for $37,500. Blizzard Pearl 4wd.

Wanted leather, but didn't want all the other goodies that the Limited seem to have as mandatory options. So this one is the base hybrid with the Popular Plus Pkg, Auto Dual Zone Climate Control, Auto Rear A/C, floor mats (carpeted and all-weather and the factory tow hitch w/ wiring harness.

Traded a Camry Hybrid with 63,000 miles and was given close to KBB "Private Party Value"

Overall I'm extreemly happy to have the HH. Look forwards to posting here.
  • Options
    john278john278 Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a 2008 Highlander (last one) at Yokem Toyota in Shreveport, La. Options included Nav, heated seats, power rear door, auto rear air, tow pkg, XM receiver, extra mile option, vehicle shield pkg.

List was 42,424.00, paid 35,741. otd. Very happy!
  • Options
    The price on that Sport FWD looks pretty darn good to me with all of those options. One point about the Navigation system. I had considered it, but when I read that you can't enter any information in it once the car is moving, I decided to pass on it and eventually get a portable GPS to use. Lot cheaper way to go about it as well. But still, with the options you listed and taking the rebate, it looks like you're well past $5k below invoice.

I never looked at the LTD so not sure there.
  • Options
    june200091june200091 Member Posts: 1
    Does the price $26,412 include any rebate?
  • Options
    mj_supermanmj_superman Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the feedback... we are actually going to the dealer tonight to spend some quality time with the Navi. The other day I was driving one and was able to enter an address via voice commands only which was nice. We are currently on the fence about the Navi because we have a price on a non-Navi for about $1000 less. It's nice having the big screen and we have the Honda Navi in our Accord which we love, but there is no lock-out on it.
  • Options
    I can see your point about wanting to have the large screen Navi display. Sounds like you're doing the prudent thing and spending more time with it to determine if it's worth the cost adder or not...

Back out the Navi on the FWD Sport you're looking at and for just those options you listed, I'd have a target price of ~$27,400 (before TTL) which is $5k below invoice...

So, if you're looking at ~$28,998 OTD [7% sales tax and doc fees (assume $450)] then you're probably looking at ~$6k below invoice on your base price w/options before TTL. That seems like an exceptional deal to me. Curious to see what others think, but the best I was able to do in my area was about $5k below invoice.
  • Options
    iwantvaniwantvan Member Posts: 9
    Those prices seem very good to me. I think if you are getting 5K under invoice you're getting a good price. I live in VA and I'm thinking of driving to NC to get the 5000K incentive. It's only 2000K in VA right now. Does anyone know how tax and tags are handled?
  • Options
    wendyswendys Member Posts: 9
    I was thinking of going to NC as well. But I have to fly there. :mad:

I'm just wondering if you guys think that Toyota may bump their rebates in other regions as well. I read previous posts saying that GA was having $3000 and then $5000 for now. Really hope they can increase their rebate for another $2000.

I'm in midwest. All the base 4WD cars are equipped with at least $1700 options, most of which are no use to us. We already have a minivan, so we can even go without 3rd row. But all 4WDs have 3rd row ($700 included in price). The $2000 rebate is just enough for offset these unnecessary options.

I'm also thinking of the Sports trim. But all the 4WDs are equipped with moonroof which we don't need (my kids hate the noise and wind from moonroof). :(

Really wish Toyota offers more flexibility on option choices.
  • Options
    dj_davedj_dave Member Posts: 16
    Man, I really hope they extend the $5000 incentive to the DC area. We live in Maryland and are in the market for a Highlander limited with all the bells and whistles. I have yet to test drive, but since we are really interested in an SUV with a 3rd row and captain's chairs in the middle, the Highlander is one of the few that match (the GMC Arcadia and Saturn Outlook being the others, as far as I can tell). We've test driven the RAV4 and really liked it but found it too narrow, so I have high hopes when we test drive the Highlander.
  • Options
    scippyscippy Member Posts: 5
    wvgasguy-
    It sounds like a good deal. I assume the $37.5k was before TTL, otherwise I would just about fall off my chair if that was all inclusive.

I just picked up a HH '08 for a similar discount from MSRP. So you are picking up the newest version. Could you tell me what they added as "standard" on the base '09 models versus the base '08 models? Here in California I noticed all the base models are coming with a MSRP of $39.7k on the '09s as opposed to the MSRP of $38.5k I was seeing on the '08s. Also, it is tough to read all these folks trying to find their $5000 rebates on non-hybrids.

I am interested to see how you like going from a Camry Hybrid to a Highlander Hybrid. I am thinking of replacing my second vehicle (non-hybrid) with a Camry Hybrid.
  • Options
    I have no clue why Toyota has rebate amounts that vary by region. Doesnt' seem fair, but perhaps their are legit reasons.

I hear you on most of the available inventory being comparably equipped to one another with what almost seems like a standard set of factory options. Seeing the same thing in NC. I would have liked to done away with the 3rd row seat as I don't need it, but couldn't find one without it. At least, I didn't have to pay for Toyoguard which seems pretty useless, let alone for $699 sticker.

As far as the sunroof goes, I don't think I've seen any Sport AWD's in my area without them either. A $50-$75 clip-on sunroof wind deflector can do a lot to cut down on the amount of wind and noise to the point to where having it open might be tolerable or even enjoyable to your kids. I had one on my '00 4Runner and I felt like it made a significant difference. I will be putting one on my Highlander as well.