Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• chefrmchefrm Member Posts: 6
    Hi I haven't been on in like years, but I don't get too many days off. I have a 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport and want to get a 4" lift and 33"s but still need to stay within a budget any ideas.
    Tom: You and I ordered our jeeps about the same time. I was at Culinary School in upstate NY.....
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    With budget lifts, you sometimes get what you pay for. If you are wanting the 4" lift for onroad performance, you'll get none better than OME. OME's onroad ride beats stock, and handles 33's just fine. It is about a 2.75" lift, but with the JKS body lift that often comes with it (check out www.dpgoffroad.com for specs), it is a complete QUALITY kit.

Rubicon express is really the only other one I would consider.

There are spacer lifts with longer shocks available for about $200 or so, but don't address track bar adjustments or anything like that.

-Paul
    I'm one of the guys Tom saw with OME and (I like to think anyway) one of the ones who convinced him to go that route. :)

-Paul
    Going with the aftermarket may be a better way (and likely easier way) to go, but if you are wanting a factory look I understand. I don't know enough about the JK's electronics to address your question.

As for aggressive tires for onroad, perhaps the Bridgestone Dueler tires would work for you. We put some on our Grand Cherokee (2000 WJ) and they did quite well on the icy mountain roads back in California.

-Paul
    Thanks Paul! I have been tossing the idea around about putting 35"s on, but seem to think it will be more work than its worth... I live in Las Vegas and do alot of city driving with my off roading being trails with zero rock climbing or really anything aggressive. IF I went with 35"s will I have to change my gears and/or any other components?
    Even with 33's, you'd be wise to consider regearing. That grade down I-15 as you leave NV into California can be a pain even for a car.

If you went with 33's, I'd regear to 4.56. 4.88 for the 35's. But you also need to consider axle strength. The D35 rear axle can really only handle 33's reliably at the most. Even then, I'd put in the stronger alloy shafts (which is EXACTLY what I have in my TJ, along with an ARB selectable locker).

With stock gears and 33's, about the only road you could hit would be the strip on a Saturday night. Acceleration will be dangerously slow.

You're in Vegas - it is not like it is that far to Bryce Canyon or Moab. :) I've driven that route through St. Georges too. :) Beautiful area with lots of opportunities for beautiful wheeling.

Here's my OME, with the JKS body lift installed so you can see what it is like. They work just fine offroad and my onroad ride is BETTER than it was when I got the TJ.

And that height is with armored bumpers, winch, rocker armor, rear armor, and a 33" spare on the back.

-Paul
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    Tom,

I have been out of town for a few days and missed your check-in.

Hang around more, it just might get fun again. Lot of people can use your help.

Are you driving out west? If so are you coming by the Chicago area?

Guess we won't have to elect a new Mayor.

Terry
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Hi Terry!

Well, I don't know about the "Mayor" business, since I have been gone so long. I think you may have had several mayors around here during my long absence. When's the next election? Maybe I will throw my hat in the ring. :)

I'll be flying out West, Terry, not driving.

Good to hear from you, my friend!

Still NOT smokin'! Been four and a half years now. You were a big help when I needed some encouragement... might have blown it, if not for you.

Tomster
    Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    Chef!!!!!!!!!!! So good to hear from you after such a long time!

I remember your Jeep came in with a tan hardtop instead of a black one. You ended up keeping the tan one, I believe?

Did you trade that Jeep for another one? You said you have a 2002 Jeep, and mine is an 01. I thought we DID order about the same time, like you said???

Seems like maybe I remember that you did trade your Jeep for one with a 4.0L??? Wasn't that first one a four banger?

Stick around, Rich, OK? I'll try to check in at least a couple times a week around here myself.

Tom
    Paul:

Your experience with the OME was very helpful, but I think I would have gone that route anyway.

Good Lord, NOBODY has anything bad to say about the OME lift. I honestly cannot remember ever seeing a negative post about them. I have seen hundreds of posts in favor of the OME lifts.

Tom
    Actually, I was thinking it was more about my serious wheelin' skillz. :) hehe j/k

You up for a possible TB run next weekend (6/21)?

Belltom and peeps are going and if I can find a way to trailer my TJ up there with the Avalanche, we'll (wife, son, and me) likely camp and hang out with them for a couple of days. :)

-Paul
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    Good to hear from you again...

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

I would like to put a OEM '07 Radio/CD/MP3 (part #P05064411AD) into my '97 Sport. What issues/problems am I going to have?

Plenty. You will be much better off finding an OEM unit from a 2001 or older Wrangler or else going the aftermarket route.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• karlw90karlw90 Member Posts: 59
    Tom -

First off, welcome back! You were alot of help when I first got my Wrangler Unlimited back in 2005..

Anyhow, I ended up getting a Rubicon Express 2" lift, with spacers and shocks. They aren't installed yet, still waiting to make an appt. with a local mechanic near me. I don't have the tools, time, or experience to do it on my own. I'm going with 32" BFG AT's once the lift is installed. I'm considering the black Cragar wheels, we'll see. When I get all this done I'll try and post a before/after picture..

- Karl
    Karl:

Good deal. Nothing wrong with spacer lifts, especially if you are not looking for major improvements in off road capability. A lift kit with longer springs would give you more articulation for off roading, but if you do only very mild off roading, they would not be necessary, and a spacer lift would do very nicely.

Thanks for the welcome back.

Tomster
    Where's my bud, Mac? You still haning around these parts, Mac? :confuse:

Tom
    Paul:

Great looking Jeep!!! Thanks for the Help! I'm a little concerned about having the gears changed. I don't know if I can afford to do that right now, with all of the $$ I'm dropping on lift, tires & wheels. Do I need to do it right away? How much "power" am I going to loose by not changing the gearing? Will it really affect the power that much? Would it b elike going from a 4.0l to a 2.5 4 cyclinder?

Tom:

Great memory! I did order mine with a Tan top, but it came with a black top..... It was a 4 banger, so I traded it in on a 02 Sport. EXACTLY the way I ordered the 1st one, except I had every factory option they had put into it at the time... I wish I would have waited 2 years and got a Unlimited Rubi, but who knew then.... I have driven all over the counrty in my 02. From Vegas I moved to Pittsburgh, then to Hoboken then to Brooklyn, and now back to Las Vegas.. It's been my daily driver for over 6 years and still runs great! Its starting to leak a bit of oil, but nothing too major... I have thought about trading it in on a 4 door JK as i like the new look and 4 doors. But with the price of gas constantlly going up, I have chose to keep it, lift it, put on bigger tires and drive it as my daily driver one more year. Then get a small car to drive to work and to the store. i'll keep my Jeep as a weekend driver.

Hope all is well... Great to hear from you again! I promise to keep in touch more regularly!

Rich
    Rich:

Wow! Great to be back in touch with you again!

You have certainly gotten around in the last few years. I guess you must be the "Galloping Gourmet... Chef?" :)

You are talking about going to 33s, right? Do you currently have the 3.73 gear ratio for your axles? If so, I would NOT automatically regear without first having driven the Jeep a while after the 33s go on.

Yes, there will be some loss in acceleration, but you might very well decide that it is not a big deal, since you do have the 4.0 L engine and will still have decent power.

Regearing is a major expense and MUST be done by someone who has experience and who will stand behind his work.

What might happen is that you will need to stay in fourth gear when you are cruising around at about 40 MPH instead of shifting up to fifth gear. Not a biggie. (I'm assuming you have the five speed manual tranny...can't remember if you said you have an auto or a five speed.)

Paul might have been thinking that you had the four banger when he was suggesting that you regear. Paul does have a four banger and regearing is definitely called for with the four banger.

Now, if you have the 3.07 gearing, then you might really need to regear. I would still drive it a while first to see if you can live with it, though.

Tom
    Tom:

Not too sure what gears I have. I do have the Auto with a Dana 44 in the rear. Other than that, I would have to check out my window sticker to see if it states what gears I have...

As for the lift - I am having someone install it as I don't have the time/tools/experience for be doing that type of work on my jeep.

Yeah - I have moved alot in the last 7 years, like 7 times in 7 years.... Not fun!

Talk to you later!

Richard
    Rich:

If you have the Dana 44 rear end, then you should have the 3.73 gear ratio. Did you get the AAS package from the factory? That package is a killer deal that would have gotten you the Canyon wheels, Dana 44 with 3.73 gear ratio, and 30" tires for about $850.00.

I'm going to guess that after driving the Jeep with the 33s on it with your current gearing, you will decide that the loss of acceleration is not bad enough to warrant the expense of regearing.

If you DO regear, make sure that the person doing the work is someone who has lots of experience in that kind of work and who will guarantee his work in writing. Setting gears is a real art, and not just anyone can do it.

Tomster
    Tom:

That is the package that I got. i also have the limited slip differencial - not too sure if that will affect anything or not.... Once I get the 33s, I'm going t odrive it for a while to see how much, if any, power is lost....

Thanks!

Richard
    Chef:

There WILL be SOME power loss. That is just a matter of physics.

Going to a larger tire has the same effect as if you had changed your gearing to a higher ratio (lower numerically). If you are now on 30" tires now and go to 33" tires, you are effectively changing your gearing from 3.73 to 3.36. (Ten percent up on tire diameter equals ten percent down on gear ratio number.) Many Jeeps came from the factory with 3.07 gearing, so even with your 33" tires, you will have a lower gear (higher number) than many Jeeps.

Will it have the same accleration as you have now? No. Will the acceleration be as good as the Jeeps that came out with the 3.07 rear ends? Yes.

The limited slip feature does not come into play with respect to gear ratio.

Hope I haven't confused you.

Tomster

P.S.

Guess I should have added that I plan to go to 33s for my next set of tires on Thelma Jane, and I have NO plans to regear.
    Gee, I come back here, and everyone else leaves.

Why is no one posting?

Tomster
  • wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    Tom,

It runs in spurts. Hang around.

Terrry
    Thanks Tom!!!!

I am having a company called 4 Wheel Parts here in Las Vegas do the work. They are a national chain and have a great reputation in LV for working on Jeeps. I have been talking to a few people and they were telling me that you can get GREAT deals on Tires & Wheels on the internet. They get drop shipped to your house and the tires are mounted and balanced on the wheels. Pretty much bold on and go. Has anyone went this route? If so, tell me about your experences.. Both good and bad. If the savings is better this may be a good option.....

Thanks!

Richard
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Where's my bud, Mac? You still haning around these parts, Mac?
    Tom

I still drop by occasionally, mainly to this original forum.
    Paul has things pretty well covered, but I still pick an easy one to answer now and then. ;)

Glad to hear you're continuing not to smoke; I'm sure it's still a day at a time. Good job!

Still putting miles on both the Jeep and the AMG. :shades:
    Hey, Mac!

Great to hear from you!

Nope, actually I NEVER, not for one second, crave a cigarette. I would have never believed I could enjoy this degree of freedom back when I was struggling so bad, but it has happened. I guess it's just like I never smoked. It took about a year and a half to get COMPLETELY free, like I am now, but it was WORTH IT. I don't mean I struggled real bad for a year and a half, just saying that's when I realized that I was not having ANY craves any more.

Stick around, Mac! I'll try to do the same.

Tom
    The "mayor" took a page out of your book, Tex, and "disappeared" for a long time. :)

How ya, been, Old Tex? It seems so natural to see a post by you. I have been away too long. I think I'm going to stick around for a while and renew old friendships. Hope you will be here, too.

Tom
    Oh, man, if Mac is deferring to me on tech issues, these folks are in TROUBLE, with a captial T, which rhymes with P, and that stands for Paul!

-Paul
  • unlimitjunlimitj Member Posts: 19
    Richard,

Have you checked out Ted Wiens in Las Vegas? Check out their website or go by and talk to Collin or one of the other guys in the shop.
    Roadburner:

Sorry that I did not reply to your warm welcome. I didn't mean to ignore you, but I read a lot of posts when I first got back here and forgot to reply to yours. (I'm OLD.)

I was just reviewing some recent posts and discovered that I had not replied to you.

Thanks for the welcome.

Tom
    Hi, "Finally."

Congrats on that new Jeep!

What username were you posting with when you were talking to Bama and me several years ago?

I'm working my way back on posts, and I saw yours. I'm very happy that you got a Jeep after wanting one for a long time.

Tom
  • texasjeeptexasjeep Member Posts: 270
    >>The "mayor" took a page out of your book, Tex, and "disappeared" for a long time.

HAHA. Good one! :D Just don't let it happen again. I guess I can't yell at anyone though.
    I have been doing good. Not much wheeling, just getting around at my deer lease. I am glad to see you and the others back.
  • chrisinsrqchrisinsrq Member Posts: 1
    I have a set of "Flame Red" Wrangler half doors with new bestop replace-a-top clear windows in black denim off a very clean garage kept low mileage 1999 TJ (not faded).

I would like to trade someone who has a similar condition in flame red, set of full steel hard doors with roll up windows and would be willing to pay cash for the difference. I am open to negoitiations on how much depending on condition.

Thanks in advance!
  • finallyajeepfinallyajeep Member Posts: 3
    HEY HEY!!

It might have been need a rubi or some such variation ... i was pretty excited then and even more excited now that i have one ...

I need to get a soft top for it ... some different rims and tires ... (anyone used the Dick Cepek Rims?)

WOrking good as my daily driver and weekend toy! My kids love it and i am thinking about taking my dog with me too sometime! I need to get a leash though ... for the dog not the kids ...

Anyway I am glad to see some familiar faces!!!

C
    Finally:

They make doggie seatbelts. The are really just harnesses with tether straps that buckles into the seatbelt receptacles. They work well, and I use one for Henry Louis when we go wheelin', or when we are riding around in the strip mine lands near my house.

Be very careful about leaving a dog on a leash in your Jeep, if you are going to be away from the vehicle for while. He might hang himself.

Tom
    Good advice, Tom. Also be sure to have adequate shade system or other means to help keep the dogs cool if you have the top down.

-Paul
    Sorry that I did not reply to your warm welcome. I didn't mean to ignore you, but I read a lot of posts when I first got back here and forgot to reply to yours. (I'm OLD.)

No problem, I'm OLD too... :P I usually just lurk around here and let the real experts handle the questions.

• moharamohara Member Posts: 16
    actually the fenders are the main thing i need. the central NY winter wore holes right through. i am doing some patch work on them to make things look more spiffy, but i dont think it will last long, as they are rusting underneath. but maybe the patching will buy me some time to look around. i need to patch up a few spots around the doors anyway...
    Get armored flat fenders from some place like poisonspyders.com and get them powdercoated. More armor and less likely to be an issue later.

-Paul
    paul, thanks for the suggestion. i cant find the website you mention though...
    thanks.
  • jc45jc45 Member Posts: 5
    Hi ! Unfortunately for economic reason I need to sale my Jeep Sahara 2000 where is the best way to do it, on the road or online like Edmunds, Ebay or Autotrader.any tips or suggestions. thanks !
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Edmunds partners with AutoTrader and that gives you a bigger market and buyers are able to narrow it down by zip code.

But I think I'd try craigslist.com too and say "local buyers only" in the ad to try to avoid any complications from selling to someone not in the area.

For a Jeep, I think a sign in the window could work good too. Maybe park it on top of a rock in a parking lot. :shades:
    Keep in mind, if you are selling the Jeep just to buy/finance another vehicle, you really need to do a cost analysis to see if the cost of the gas you're saving outweighs the monthly payment + insurance + interest for whatever you buy.

If you are buying another vehicle outright and not financing, you may come out ahead. Otherwise, you may not realize the savings you're expecting.

-Paul
    Thank you very much, very helpful.!!! :)
    I love my Jeep... but I just need to increase my discretionary income, save $ in insurance,gas and maintenance will give me some extra money to cover others things. I just using my Sahara on weekends for fun... but anyway thank you for your advise.

JC :)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Paul reminds me of another point that doesn't affect you, but someone else trading cars and reading this may find that they can do better on sales tax savings by going through a dealer in some states.

Stop in again in a few years JC when you get your next Jeep (it's a Jeep thang). :shades:
    What's the matter with everyone? No posting going on around here.

Hey, as long as I am posting, here's a question for everyone: can a vehicle be insured for a maximum number of miles per year, with the rates being MUCH lower for very low mileage limits? That can be done with antique cars, I know, but can it be done for ANY vehice?

I only put about 2000 miles per year on Thelma Jane nowadays. I only drive her when I am going to go "wheelin' " down at KY Lake, and she sits in the garage the rest of the time.

This might be something some of you Jeep buds might want to consider, if it can be done.

Tomster