Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Highlander Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• dturrdturr Member Posts: 70
    Anyone have news on what Toyota will offer for 2010?
  • dcteachdcteach Member Posts: 1
    edukatedredhed,
    I am interested in finding out more about your car. Does it have a moonroof, leather seats-color? , V6, power back door, AWD or FWD. Been in any accidents or fender benders? Is it a limited or sport? How can I contact you?
    We will be coming through Atlanta on Tues. If it has these items we are interested.Don't have to buy it that day-have time but want to see it if it has the things we want and price is right.
    dcteach
  • edukatedredhededukatedredhed Member Posts: 41
    You can email me at edukatedredhed@yahoo.com. I'll be glad to answer any questions about the vehicle. Just put "Highlander" in your subject and let me know what your user name is when you email me. :)

It's never been wrecked, does have leather seats, doesn't have power rear door.

dcteach, I'm closer to Chattanooga than Atlanta, but am right off I-75.
  • allensoonerallensooner Member Posts: 5
    Hello, I started looking for Highlander in Dallas this weekend. Looking for a 4 cyl, Base 2009 model What is considered a good bottom line out the door price and recommended dealerships you have done business with would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • drayven911drayven911 Member Posts: 1
    I just picked up a 09 Highlander Base w/ 4 Cyl, Towing Prep Package, Extra Value #2, 8-way Power Driver Seat, and 3rd Row Seat Package for $22K OTD (w/ Clunker trade-in). I think $24,700 before TTT should be a pretty good price.
    Thanks for the information!
    Just got a quote for $ 27,800 for a 4cyl, EV package, 3rd row, 8 way pwr..Seems high, we walked. What do you'all think?
  • emt27emt27 Member Posts: 6
    We just bought a silver 09 4cyl, EV package, 3rd row, 8 way pwr seat, for $26,800 from Fayetteville Autopark in Fayetteville, AR. Was quoted $26,500 from Toyota dealer in Ft. Smith. Went with Fayetteville since their car was in stock. Ours also had a few more options, auto dimming mirror, door guards, mud flaps, stainless exhaust tip. Got our $4500 CARS allowance and ended up paying $22,300. We did everything over the internet and phone. Patrick Madden was the salesman.
    EMT, good information to have. It looks like about $ 1000 less than deal and wheeling with dealers in the Dallas area. If anyone else had advice, I would appreciate it..Thanks!
  • walktofastwalktofast Member Posts: 10
    2008 base model 4x2 with 24,000 miles and roof rack. $19800
  • thenebulathenebula Member Posts: 1
    I'm currently shopping around for an 09 Highlander in the base 4x2 configuration. How much should I be expecting if I max out the options on it? Thanks!
  • fatcat60fatcat60 Member Posts: 5
    '09 Highlander Limited 4x2, EVP #7, power hatch, tow package, rear spoiler, cargo mat/carpet mats for $1260 below invoice.

$33,772 - $1260 = 32,512
    PLUS: $595 "doc/admin fees" (criminal!) and Tax/Title

Any "freebies" I should ask for before I sign? Mudflaps? I've already paid $300 for floor mats... An extra key? BTW, how many keys do you get with a new car? It's been nearly 20 years since my LAST new car...
  • bheem1bheem1 Member Posts: 5
    Can you please let me know, which location did you buy for 22k..seems to be attractive price. Please email a copy in vigneshkm@yahoo.com.
    Appreciate your help
  • smartismarti Member Posts: 3
    fatcat60 can you please tell me which city the dealer is in? and the dealer's name? Thats a great price. I have received so many quotes, but none under invoice!!
  • theway31theway31 Member Posts: 1
    Just talked to my Dad, he leased a 2009 Highlander 4x4, 6 cyl with Extra Value Pkg #2 ($845) and 8 way power seat with mouldings ($500). He paid 3K down and his monthly payments are $472 for 42 months.

Appreciate feedback on this. I think it sounds like too much.

He said the dealer said the car was MSRP: 31,100. Total value of the car on his lease agreement shows: $30,823
  • ppforlifeppforlife Member Posts: 3
    Can you guys please rate this deal. We just purchased the.

2009 Toyota Highlander Base
    4dr Front-wheel Drive
    MSRP $27,600 Destination Charge $800 Invoice Price $24,840 Total List Price $28,400 Available Engines 270-hp, 3.5-liter V-6 (regular gas) Available Transmissions 5-speed automatic w/OD and auto-manual Fuel Economy City 18 mpg Fuel Economy Highway 24 mpg

$21,500 cash
    Trade in of a 2000 Doge mini Van= (kelly blue book value of $752 for fair- $1225 for good condition and $1500 for excellent condition. The minivan did not qualify for cash for clunkers.I would rate the van to be in fair condition.
    Made the purchase in Mass if that matters.

Thanks.
  • toyotafan76toyotafan76 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2009 highlander with your package 4 cylinder in dark gray metallic with added triple plated oem factory chrome wheels and touring toyo tires for 26,900. I also used cash for clunkers and got 4500. This was the top of the line 4 cylinder with msrp of 30400 so i think I did ok. They were offering me one with an ugly blue and now wheels for 25K at the newspaper price but that was not what I wanted.
  • toyotafan76toyotafan76 Member Posts: 2
    Well it depends on what state? In CA they sell like hotcakes. I picked up a top of the line 4 cyclinder with triple plated chrome factory wheels roof rack/rails and touirng tires with the dark gray metallic finish for 26,900 msrp of 30,400. The local newspapers don't have many sales on these except for an ugly blue for 25K with no wheel package.
  • ppforlifeppforlife Member Posts: 3
    Sorry for the mistake it was for 23,000
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    If you own a 2006 – 2010 Toyota Highlander and live in the Los Angeles area, please contact ctalati@edmunds.com by August 12 if you’re interested in being contacted for more information on your vehicle ownership experience.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• AXM23AXM23 Member Posts: 64
    Did you land this deal? If so, please share your location and advise if your sales guy is willing to do more at this rate.

Thanks.
    Just bought the vehicle yesterday. It has option # 8, carpet mats, color keyed sport styled rear spoiler and tow package. 34450 + 469(documentation) + 98 + tax (3%) = 36,051. MSRP was $ 37,864. Mine is black with sand beige interior. Is that a good price? Also used the CARS program to trade in my 2001 Ford Windstar and got 3500 on that one. With the CARS discount , I paid a total of $ 32,446. BTW, I got it from Rice Toyota in Greensboro,NC. Finalised the price on the internet.
  • kerbearkerbear Member Posts: 4
    What is the best out the door price for a Highlander limited 4wd with dvd and nav that you've gotten i live in MD and am in the market so im just curious what others are paying :confuse:
    You can check the TMV price for your configuration here on Edmunds.com OR
    you can check on www.truecar.com OR
    you can check on www.realcartips.com
  • epiphany2010epiphany2010 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, ppforlife, is the 21500 OTD price? Would you please provide more detail about your purchase, it seems a awesome deal! By the way, I am in MA either, may you tell me which dealer you steal the car? Thank you!
  • rao5rao5 Member Posts: 2
    Hi ppforlife,

21.5K looks like a good deal.I am planning to buy exactly the same model. Would you please provide the dealer name in MASS. I appreciate your help.
  • wolf93wolf93 Member Posts: 1
    Toyotafan76 what dealer and salesman in Dallas did you use?
  • mrbrewersmrbrewers Member Posts: 6
    Base 4x4 V6 model with Tow package(#2) and cold package...no additional options.
    I plan to purchase the car this month...if somebody of you has made a deal after CARS program started let me know...I don't have any vehicle to trade in...Thanks
    My friend informs me that Toyota of Richardson has a good deal at this time..check out with him and let us know..
  • ghost2010ghost2010 Member Posts: 9
    Anyone purchased a Highlander after the CARS program started? Seems like it would be tough to get a good price now that sales are picking up. I was looking into getting into one of these in the next month or two, but now I'm balking..maybe it would be better if I wait it out and enter the market when CARS is gone. Seems like inventory for the 2009 is low too. I"m in the Chicagoland area.
    You're right. Dealers are selling at near MSRP for participants of CARS program too..
    Internet quotes for Base 4x4 V6 were infact $1500 - 2000 less than current 'sale price' before CARS started..

I am looking for a car too in Milwaukee/Chicagoland area...I think if we wait some time...2010 models will be on sale in Early October and once this program is over...dealers will be sitting with lot of new & old models (hopefully restocked by then) and they'll be forced to give a good deal!

Meanwhile if you know a dealer who is giving a good price these days let me know.
  • ghost2010ghost2010 Member Posts: 9
    I definitely will. I'm hoping to get something this year since there's the sales tax deduction on new car purchases also. It expires at the end of the year tho.
  • druid21druid21 Member Posts: 2
    I shopped for 2 months before giving up on Toyota dealers in the Southeast. I found a small Toyota dealer outside of Pittsburg, PA who offers nationwide lifetime warranties on new Toyotas. Call Dario or Lenny at Toyota of Greensburg, PA. They'll special order whatever you want and get the car to you. Their prices were much, much better than anywhere else I found.
  • gammanngammann Member Posts: 1
    Just picked up a 2009 Highlander Sport 4x4 V6. Has the following options:
    Black w/beige interior
    Leather Seat Package
    Power Rear Door
    Extra Value Package #5
    Power Moonroof
    Tow Prep Package
    Cross Bars
    Carpet/Cargo Mats for 3 row seating

MSRP: 37089
    Price: 34436
    Dealer Processing Charge: 100
    taxes (3%): 1036
    tags & title: 103.50

$750 Toyota rebate
    $3500 C4C

So, 31425.5 out the door.

I used the USAA Buying Service, which basically gave me a quote for $75 over invoice at a particular dealer. I went to another dealer who said they wouldn't touch the price due to the way the Highlander has been selling. So I drove the 75 miles to the dealer with the quote. I actually went for the Limited, but they sold the one earlier in the day, and I settled for the above Sport. The Dealer's internet price on this car is $36087.
  • kharriskharris Member Posts: 41
    Your price is almost exactly the same as I paid for my HL Sport 4x4 V6, which has the same equipment packages. The only difference was that there was no Toyota rebate in my area(NY) when I bought it, and no C4C(but instead of trading in my old SUV, I was able to sell it privately so got the equivalent of the C4C amount). The state tax was different of course.
  • bchardeebchardee Member Posts: 2
    Would love to know what Mass dealership is going so far below invoice.
  • upontheridgeupontheridge Member Posts: 3
    Thanks to others on this forum and the information they provided, I was able to purchase a 2009 Limited Highlander with pwr rear door, Option package #7, rear spoiler, tow prep pack and carpet mats for $33,000. MSRP was $36,489, Invoice was $33,778.
  • egenesis1egenesis1 Member Posts: 1
    I found a used highlander base 08 for $22K. It has 32K miles. Warranty for power train extends up to 100K. No tow package, I don't think I see anything extra on the vehicle.

It is a V6 4WD with third row seating.

Is this a good price or am I better off with a new one?
  • edukatedredhededukatedredhed Member Posts: 41
    My 2008 has almost everything but the power rear door with only 12,000 miles and I'm selling it for only a few thousand more than that. Don't know if that's a good comparison for you or not. :confuse:
  • fatcat60fatcat60 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for posting. I, too, got a similar deal on the same vehicle: $1100 under invoice. With my cash-for-clunkers, got out the door with tax, tag, title for just under $31K.

I just have to ask: where did you get the deal? Did you use a car buying service and a pre=negotiated price? Did you have to wait for the vehicle?

My experience was an absolute nightmare, even with a buying service. And I got the last Limited Highlander in before the end of the clunker program. I'm interested if my experience was dealer specific, or just the artificial "buyers market" created when Toyota cut back on production several months back...
  • rtague1rtague1 Member Posts: 1
    Looking for dealership in NYC area with best deals.I'm looking to buy 09 base 4 cyl.
    Any advice?.thanks in advance.
  • seospiderseospider Member Posts: 14
    Just bought a 09 Highlander Base 4x4 V6 in Magnetic Gray Metallic with Ash interior at Boch Toyota in Norwood, MA.

Options include:
    Value Package
    8 way Power Seat
    Cold Weather Package
    3rd row mats

Paid
    27,000 base price
    1750 (6.25% MA sales tax)
    295 Doc Preparation Fee
    125 DMV/Title Reg
    29100 TOTAL

I think we got a good deal, any feedback would be most welcome and hope this helps anyone in the market for a similar car.

Good luck.
  • high_landerhigh_lander Member Posts: 5
    This is one of the best deals I've heard on a 4X4 V6 Highlander. The best I could get was $28500 which was $50 less than invoice price. How did you arrive at this price $27,000? Did you take the $1000 toyota rebate? In midwest the deals aren't that good, the dealers are very stubborn here.
  • pmkingpmking Member Posts: 7
    What do you all think about this price... red limited, awd, everything but the navi is 34640. Out the door 36178. I have never spent this much on a car before and want to make sure I am getting the best deal possible. We have to finance, so we won't be able to get the $750, but we will receive 2.9% financing.

Another quick question, for those who own this vehicle, how has the thrid row seat worked out? I am surprised at how tight that space is and how little cargo space is left when the third row is up.

Thanks!
    high_lander,

I think we had a couple things going for us. First I think the dealers want to get rid of the 09s to make way for the 10s. Second it was the end of the month and they said we had to do it by the 31st so they apply it to their August sales figures. Last, Boch Toyota is the largest dealer in New England and very high volume so I think you can get a good price there since they can afford a smaller per unit cost in order to keep volume sales high.
    high_lander,

In addition to my second post I forgot to mention that we did not get the $1000 rebate. That was only available if one bought a hybrid. I know there are some regional incentives but none in New England. Second we initially were quoted 28,500 and left because that was too high. Had a message waiting from the sales manager when we got home that "his boss had approved the 27k." Went the next morning and closed the deal.
  • kharriskharris Member Posts: 41
    Based on what I paid for my 2009 Sport, your price looks decent.
    As far as the third row seating/space, keep in mind that the HL is pretty much the shortest length of all the mid size SUV's, which is one reason I bought it. For more generous third row and rear space, you should consider the Honda Pilot, the Mazda CX9 (both of which I looked at) or better yet the GM mid size models.
  • steven1357steven1357 Member Posts: 69
    I assume you are considering the value you will lose immediately when the 2010s come out in September or October. Consumer Report lists the 1st year depreciation on a Highlander Limited at $ 9,0000.

Of course, the yearly "average" depreciation drops the longer you keep it.
  • upontheridgeupontheridge Member Posts: 3
    Purchased from local NC Triad area dealer. Initial contact with dealership was via Costco buying service inquiry. However, negotiated a lower price than what they offered under that program. Got a internet quote from the Asheville NC dealership and the local dealer was willing to come down to that price. I did have to wait on the vehicle as the local dealer did not have the car, I wanted and had to trade for it, I wanted a specific color and configuration. Started the process last of July picked up car earlier this week. So far car is great, but I am experiencing a a high pitched whine most noticable at deceleration from 30-40 speeds. Haven't had a chance to get it back to dealer to be looked at. Anyone else experiencing this?
  • high_landerhigh_lander Member Posts: 5
    @seospider, you are one lucky guy. I'm happy for you. I would buy a Highlander V6 4X4 base for $27K anytime of the year. I'm not that lucky though. We don't get this kind of a deal in midwest area. I've been screening at least 10 different dealers in upper midwest region and none ready to sell below invoice.

I guess you didn't have any trade ins.