Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Highlander Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• camry1317camry1317 Member Posts: 16
    Yes I am sure. If I was wrong, Toyota would be in big trouble for lying on the window sticker and all paper work I received!

SE comes standard with leather, I didn't get any options except for floor mats. Go build one on Toyota.com or check out the link below. Same car, same dealership, different color.

Copelandtoyota.com/new/Toyota-highlander-se-2010-01776.html
  • timmychentimmychen Member Posts: 13
    Went to a Toyota dealership in Southern California tonight... brought along some of these quotes... we were looking at a SE Black on Black leather with tow prep and convenience package.

Told them we'd seen prices of $32.5k OTD and $29.6k pre-tax, etc... and I wanted to see where that would get us. Mind you I didn't just bring this up... this was after a test drive and after a few forms, photo copying our IDs, etc... so they knew we were serious to buy on the spot.

The manager came back to me (skipping over the sales guy), and basically laughed in my face and said that they could only sell it to us tonight at $1k under sticker price! WOW... needless to say we walked away.
  • parker2009parker2009 Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2010
    i have been having a similar problem with the socal delears. i wanted to get a base model (V6) with nothing extra. invoice from edmunds, kbb and the dealer is around $24K...BUT the dealer adds an additional $3K to the invoice for advertising, maintenence and other misc costs. i got laughed at as well for trying to get $29K OTD. best offer i got was $29.8K but the color was repulsive.

i thought i would have some luck offering the $29K OTD for a "demo" which had 500+ miles b/c the manager used it as a daily driver. again i got laughed at when i told them i'm not going to pay $31K for a used car. bah! i need to move to the midwest, deals in socal are nowhere to be found.
  • tim92887tim92887 Member Posts: 7
    I am having the save problem in socal. I have visited, called and emailed several places and have done all my homework and still they will not get close to the prices I see here. I figure they must know once the 0apr expires that sales are gonna fall bc anyone who is in the market is buying right now. I would think that would make them want to do the deal. Looking for a SE for 31k b/f ttl and having no luck. Anyone from southern Cali get a good deal on a HL base or SE? If so, please tell me where you went.
  • nanwar786nanwar786 Member Posts: 18
    The dealership is asking for exact information like name of the person and when it was bought for your deal? can you please be kind enough to send me an email at nanwar786@gmail.com.

In general, dealerships are quoting more than $1500 as compared to your deal.
    I do already have hard quotes from a few dealerships... thing is... they don't have the cars. Basically, a hundred or two under $27k for base V6 and a hundred or two under $31k for base SE. But I can't find these in stock at the right places (unless I want to settle for an ugly color).
  • meteorshowermeteorshower Member Posts: 2
    I bought my SE AWD 3 weeks ago(right after the incentive started) in NoCal(SF bay area). The only option I got was the floor mat. I paid $32,560+TTL with 0% financing. the dealer who quoted me didn't have the color I liked but promised to get it for me.
  • meteorshowermeteorshower Member Posts: 2
    they should be able to get the car you like from another dealer. My dealer got the car for me with the color I like from San Louis Obispo. I am in No Cal.
  • eugeneyeugeney Member Posts: 4
    Signed papers two days ago for 2010 Highlander Limmited Blizzard Pearl with QI, TO, RF, 3T, CT at James Toyota of Flemington, NJ + 60 months. My deal was kind of complicated since I had a trade in, but it came down to Invoice - $500. Got the quote through another site (e-mail me at eugeney@comcast.net and I'll tell how and where). The best deal there was invoice -500, their offer actually was invoice price, but thy've honored the best internet offer. One of the smoothest car buying exp. I've ever had. Ask for salesmen Colin Lee (great guy) or his manager Lou Hernandez.
    What would you consider "invoice" on a SE with an MSRP of $35,005?

I don't understand how my dealer in MA can sell me the car for $29.6k but is CA they are trying to get $32k+. If they are that stingy about the price, I have to assume they are going to work you hard on trade values, too. I wonder which dealership is more profitable?

I was very happy with the car I had but the incentives and price I got were too good to pass up!
    Can I ask which dealership(s) is quoting you these prices? I am looking for a SE under 31k and Im not really picky on color.
    can you please let me know who did you talk to at Copeland Toyota?
    They quoted me SE price which is over $31K and they are saying that it is impossible to sell at $29.6K (your price).
    They are asking exact information like name of person who bought the care, when did he bought and who was the sale person etc?
    My email is nanwar786@gmail.com
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,175
    They are asking exact information like name of person who bought the care, when did he bought and who was the sale person etc?

They ask for that information, because they know you can't get it... and, in the unlikely event that you do get it, they'll have some other reason that they can't sell it to you, for that price...

Just tell them the price that you want... and, if they won't do it, tell them you are going somewhere else..

As friendly as we all are, here... no one is likely to give you their personal information..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Unfortunately, I think some of us waited too long... The stock is so low at these dealerships now they know that they'll have no problems selling through their stock with the incentives at decent profits. I'm now getting quotes for WAY above invoice... and that's if I can find a Highlander at all in stock.
    I think the same that we waited too long.
    It is now almost impossible to find a Highlander in stock and even if there is one, it is way way overpriced.
    I am coming to the conclusion that perhaps it not worth at this time to pursue it any further.
    Rumors are, that the incentives will be extended... since the buyers this month were most likely just people looking to buy in the near future taking advantage... and not really conversions or new business. And since April is generally a slow month, they probably don't want to kill the momentum.

The only thing I'm worrying about is that they may keep the incentives on a lot of cars, but since the Highlander has very low stock, they may not continue it on this particular vehicle.

I found a AWD, we're going to go look at it in the next hour... may have to pull the trigger even though it's not FWD or the exact color we want.
  • skiguy02920skiguy02920 Member Posts: 11
    This drives me nuts. you are going to spend 25--35K on a car that you will likely drive a long time. and you'll settle for 4wd when you want fwd and a color that is not your first choice. you will look at that car every day for years. be sure that you get what you WANT.

ski
  • highlandermohighlandermo Member Posts: 2
    It does seem like the inventory is down considerably since I bought my Highlander SE FWD a week ago. Again, I bought mine at Crown Toyota in Lawrence, KS. I got it for $30,229. That included 3rd row seats and the 3rd row carpet and everything else except taxes. They even found the exterior and interior color that I wanted from another dealer in another city. They didn't charge an extra fee to do this. This is the second Toyota we have bought from them (Avalon 06) and they are great to work with. I have found that the big city dealers are less likely to go down on their price, but if you look outside your city and locate smaller city dealerships, they might be more willing to deal with you. Hopefully this helps someone.
    It is hard to say whether its worth it or not right now. I am going to try and get a HL SE tomorrow and its only one of two that I could find in all of Orange County, CA after calling all around. With the first one I saw yesterday the dealer wouldnt work with me at all. I had all the numbers and everything but they knew they had one of the last ones. I am hoping that with the 0% ending soon that the one tomorrow will want to make the sale on the other one. With 5%(best case) interest I would expect to pay about 3835$ for the loan I would need. I figure I will be willing to bump up my offer some bc of the 3835$ saving in interest. MSRP is 34378 total bf ttl. Does this make sense or do you think it would just be wise to wait. I believe sales will dwindle for the next months bc everyone who wanted to buy has bought already. Also 2011 will be coming soon. What do you think?
  • germilgermil Member Posts: 11
    I drove one home yesterday that I had put a deposit on 3/24 (arrived 4/2). SE AWD that has bluetooth (which I wanted), carpets, mudguards, and wheel locks, silver with ash interior; MSRP $35,484, I paid $32,475 or $125 over invoice with 0% financing for 5 years. I consider this a fair, not a great price considering the market. I started shopping on 3/20, just about the time that these vehicles started flying off of the lots. I know the dealer could have sold it yesterday for much more than I paid, and would have gladly given my deposit back. I also wanted a factory fresh vehicle built in March, which this was so I was willing to pull the trigger. Another factor was the dealer was close to work and home and a shuttle to drop me at work if needed. Vehicle is showing about 21 MPG, I will be pleasantly surprised if this continues. I expect Toyota to have low interest financing on this vehicle after 4/5, but do not expect them to continue 0% for 5 years so I jumped.
    So.... We drove one home on Friday night. We may have compromised on a few things, but they were things that we were kinda on the fence on anyway. For color, we were choosing between black, white, and magnetic grey. And as for FWD or AWD.... We were thinking that if we got AWD, it wouldn't be THAT bad since we might visit friends living in snowing areas in the winters anyway. Lastly, we had been hoping for ash grey leather, but when we saw black, we really started to like it. Turned out the one the dealer found for us had the black interior. So here's what we bought:

2010 Toyota Highlander SE AWD
    Magnetic grey exterior with black leather interior
    Sticker: $35,005
    Price paid: $32,419 + TTL
    0% financing for 60 months

Thinking about adding mudguards, running boards, and nave system that looks and feels like the factory nav.
  • pkadpkad Member Posts: 4
    Took me 3 weeks to get the color I wanted. Wanted Magnetic grey with black interior, carpeting and bluetooth. I picked up mine last week Friday. MSRP 35,400 and paid 32,200. I was willing to wait and risk for the 0% offer to expire to get exactly what I wanted. I read the news that most likely incentives are here to stay for April too.
  • duvaluduvalu Member Posts: 8
    pkad,
    were the 32,200 before or after TTL? I"m getting a deal today for 30,000 for an SE AWD before TTL in Northen, NJ.

Please let me know.

Thanks,
    duvalu
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    If you bought a new Toyota since Feb or are thinking about it, a reporter wants to hear from you. Email pr@edmunds.com by Wednesday, April 7, 2010.
  • kd2000kd2000 Member Posts: 14
    Highlander is Toyota's main bread and butter! This is typical tactics dealers use telling you that they do not have inventory and are asking way over invoice! One dealer told me I am helping you save over $7k in interest! total BS.
    These are times when inventory gets squeezed intentionally, sales people will pressure you to rush you on to your decision. Same thing you see with real estate also. Buy now ! buy now! there is no inventory!
    Dealers have totally forgotten that jury is still out on the accelerator issue and reason behind 0% for 60 months.
    BTW: My current 2003 Hghlander I had also purchased at 0% financing which was good for 36 months.

:shades:
  • tarpon6tarpon6 Member Posts: 4
    Blah.. I'm out of the market for a while.. Now up to 2.9 for 60 months.. This is from the Toyota website.

New 2010 Highlander - 0.0%/36 1.9%/48 2.9%/60 Months APR
  • beardown2beardown2 Member Posts: 4
    I had negotiated a lease deal on a base Highlander about a week ago and completed a buyer's order and left a deposit. Dealer did not have one in stock and was currently in process of locating. I didn't have very specific parameters as we were comfortable with multiple color options. Spoke to the dealer mid-week and they were still trying to locate.

They did not return my call over the weekend and now the lease special has expired. Due to the deposit and signed buyer's order which clearly indicates final monthly payment price, do they need to honor? Or should I say, "should" they honor? Or do I need to get my deposit back and get a Honda Pilot?
  • shopper55shopper55 Member Posts: 4
    We took advantage of the 0% offer for 60 months, which Highlanders almost never offer on their vehicles. We conducted our search late so it was extremely difficult finding the vehicle that we wanted. We defintitely wanted Blizzard Pearl, sand beige with EVP#8. The dealership we worked with (North Bakersfield Toyota) could not locate this vehicle, they were all sold or did not have VIN numbers attached to them so he could not sell it.

Instead, he found us a Blizzard Pearl, with Grey Interior and EVP #8. I don't feel like I got the best deal for this, but considering he had to do a trade and ordered it in freight (we should be receiving it within 2 weeks) we will be driving it off the lot with less than 15 miles on it easily. I figured the price was fair. We literally signed the purchase documents on April 5th which was the last day to take advantage of the offer. This is what I got and paid for this vehicle:

2010 Highlander Limited 2x4 (NEW)
    FE PC QI RF TO CT
    EVP#8 (Navigation, Bluetooth, JBL, Multi-Staged Heated Seating, Moonroof)
    Blizzard White
    Rear Spoiler
    Grey Interior
    Tow Package
    Cargo Mats

MSRP $38,335.00
    Invoice $35,038.04

Price I paid: $36,335.00 (so just $2k off the MSRP).

Not the greatest deal, but I had contacted other dealerships in S.Cal and they wanted closer to MSRP for this vehicle, and could probably sell it at a higher price because of the demand. Overall, I'm extremely happy with the purchase though I have not seen the vehicle yet.

The dealership offered a Platinum package coverage which would extend my new vehicle to 7 years/100k miles, but it adds $2k extra to my payments. Has anyone purchased this particular coverage and gotten a better deal with their Highlander Limited with Nav? We'll probably buy it cause if the Navigation fails, it is a very pricey item for them to fix without the insurance.
  • synch22synch22 Member Posts: 16
    I got the blizzard pearl with Ash interior and actually think it flows better. The black dashboard ruins the beige interior look to me at least. Wait on the warranty, i was in the same boat but you can get a better deal on purchasing the warranties from other dealers. I have the same ride as you but in the hybrid version, enjoy!
    Thank you! We really wanted the Hybrid intially, but they weren't offering 0% on them. Figured the Limited Highlander would be perfect. Did you end up buying a warranty from another dealer? And if so, which dealers offer it and at what cost? If you know that is...
  • nacenace Member Posts: 45
    duvalu, i am curious to know, if there was any glitches in your deal.
    if the deal went through, you made a great buy. please advise.
  • synch22synch22 Member Posts: 16
    In Seattle we had the 0% on the hybrid so i was fortunate. They wanted $1700 for i think 8yr/100k i passed on it. Consensus seems to be ride it out for a while with the 3 yr 36k and then get the extended before that expires. There were some posts in this thread and other deal sites on the net about dealers in the midwest selling cheap platinum toyota warranties that were legit. Good luck.
  • dp491dp491 Member Posts: 4
    2010 Highlander SE AWD Black on Black leather
    MSRP $35,234
    Purchase price $32,000 + $500 gap insurance = $32,500 OTD
    Fletcher Toyota, Joplin Missouri - Internet Manager Dan Clark

I did my homework and I think I got a pretty sweet deal! The best advise I can give anyone is to deal with the internet sales dept. Theres a great article on Edmunds Buying Tips, "Internet vs. Traditional Car Buying".

First I called the internet department Midwest Toyota in Hutchinson Kansas asking them to email me some info on the car. I recieved specs on the car and the email read.. "I am going to just be right up front with you, this is the only way we do business! I own this Highlander for $32,192, I would sell it to you for $32,692. That is an even $500 over!", additional $795 for gap insurance. I never responded back. I hope an employee can get a better deal, and I bet he doesn't even have the exact car!! Horrible sales pitch.

Then, I called Dan at Fletcher Toyota, he emailed me the specs along with an offer. $32,642 plus $695 gap ins, $33,337 OTD.

Last, I called to Molle Toyota in Kansas City MO, and the salesman said $32,000, $500 for gap ins. Great price, but main issue was Kansas City is 5 hours from Oklahoma City.

I called Dan back and he was able to match the offer. Fortunately, Joplin MO is ony 3.5 hours from OkC.

It wasn't as simple as it seems. There was alot of phone calls and emails throughout the week, but these are the main points.

Initially, I contacted the dealers on Sat March 20th and we purchased the car a week later Sat Mar 27th at 0%. I got some great advise from contacts at local dealerships. One sales manager said if I could get the car for under $33k he'd be surprised, since Black/Black leather AWD is rare, and when they're avail, ppl most likely buy at sticker price. Also, most dealers weren't negotiating because there was no money to be made with the 0% offer.

Out!!
  • flymeawayflymeaway Member Posts: 4
    im in norcal but do you guys know if i can go to socal and take advantage of the 0% for 36 months in socal? in norcal there's no 0% available anymore...
  • duvaluduvalu Member Posts: 8
    nace,
    The deal did not work, after I showed up to, the dealer said that they did not have any more SE in stock.

thanks,
    duvalu
    Thank you. I checked another forum (the one about purchasing extended warranties) and luckily I did. I was able to contact the superstore in Kansas and they are selling the same exact warranty as my dealership is trying to sell me at a much much lower price. They quoted me $810, vs. my dealer who swore he was giving me the "employee" discount and it amounted to a little over $2,000 once it was added to my monthly payments. Ridiculous. Never buy from the dealer that is trying to sell you the vehicle it seems like another way they fix in a huge profit margin for their pockets. BTW, you are lucky you had 0% on Hybrids!! Wish we had it in CA. Enjoy your car!
    I've had my black on black Highlander SE for just over a week now and I love it. I've been getting 22.5mpg according to the dashboard reading but I mainly drive on the highway so the number is a little skewed.

After reading the posts the past few weeks, I am ecstatic that I grabbed the SE for about $5,500 off the sticker. Probably got such a good deal because they will retail my trade on their lot (I got full blue book but they will sell as a certified preowned so it was a win/win for both sides).

Hope the number of cars in Cali picks up so you guys can get yours soon!
  • loganhunterloganhunter Member Posts: 2
    Got mine at EL MONTE, CA:

2010 Highlander SE 4x2 Sandy Beige and Beige interior for 34,500 OTD.
    0% for 60 months.

Is this a good price?
    Got mine from Longo also. Being that these were so hard to find towards the end of the 0% for 60 months deal, you didn't do that bad. But I did have a quote of $30,484 for the 4x2 SE plus TTL.... Ended up with the 4x4 though.

Also, I'm convinced that there must be some hidden dealer incentives across other parts of the country, because when I brought up prices that others were getting on this forum, i got laughed at... and this is from the salesman who just gives me pretty straight low offers without negotiation because our family and friends buy so many cars from him.
  • loganhunterloganhunter Member Posts: 2
    How much was your Highlander Out the Door? By the way, who was the salesman?
    Details of my purchase are a page or two back.

I'm pretty happy with my purchase...now I'm looking into a few mods for my car... Starting with the simple stuff like brighter headlights (not HID), manlier horn, mudguards, etc.
  • 5cs5cs Member Posts: 2
    Dealer is asking $27K

2008 Toyota Highlander Sport SUV
    Bodystyle4 door SUV
    Engine3.5L V-6cyl
    Transmission Automatic
    Ext. Colormagnetic grey
    Mileage19,020

POWERTRAIN
    Engine liters: 3.5
    Torque: 248 lb.-ft. @ 4,700RPM
    Limited slip differential
    Cylinder configuration: V-6
    Variable valve control
    Fuel economy highway: 23mpg
    Manual-shift auto
    Sequential multi-point fuel injection
    Variable intake manifold
    Number of valves: 24
    Recommended fuel: regular unleaded
    Transmission: 5 speed automatic
    Horsepower: 270hp @ 6,200RPM
    Fuel economy city: 17mpg
    Fuel tank capacity: 19gal.
    Drive type: all-wheel drive
    Mode select transmission
    SUSPENSION/HANDLING
    Rear tires: 245/55SR19.0
    Rear anti-roll bar
    Speed-sensing steering
    Power steering
    Front tires: 245/55SR19.0
    Alloy wheels
    Front anti-roll bar
    Sport suspension
    Four wheel independent suspension
    Wheel size: 19"
    SPECS AND DIMENSIONS
    3rd row headroom: 922mm (36.3")
    3rd row shoulder room: 1,397mm (55.0")
    Curb weight: 1,930kg (4,255lbs)
    Exterior body width: 1,910mm (75.2")
    Exterior length: 4,785mm (188.4")
    GVWR: 2,722kg (6,000lbs)
    Rear hiproom: 1,435mm (56.5")
    Compression ratio: 10.80 to 1
    Engine horsepower: 270hp @ 6,200RPM
    Rear legroom: 973mm (38.3")
    3rd row hiproom: 1,074mm (42.3")
    Engine displacement: 3.5 L
    Rear headroom: 1,019mm (40.1")
    Engine torque: 248 lb.-ft. @ 4,700RPM
    Exterior height: 1,760mm (69.3")
    Wheelbase: 2,789mm (109.8")
    Front legroom: 1,097mm (43.2")
    Rear shoulder room: 1,511mm (59.5")
    Engine bore x stroke: 94.0mm x 83.1mm (3.70" x 3.27")
    3rd row legroom: 759mm (29.9")
    Turning radius: 5.9m (19.4')
    Front shoulder room: 1,516mm (59.7")
    Front hiproom: 1,440mm (56.7")
    OFF-ROAD CAPABILITY
    Approach angle: 29 deg
    Ground clearance (min): 206mm (8.1")
    Departure angle: 24 deg

Features Guide
    ENTERTAINMENT FEATURES
    Steering wheel mounted audio controls
    CD player
    Diversity antenna
    MP3 decoder
    AM/FM radio
    SEATS AND TRIM
    3rd row seats: bench
    Power driver seat
    Front seats: bucket
    Front center armrest
    Split folding rear seat
    Leather shift knob
    Rear seats: bucket
    CONVENIENCE FEATURES
    Power windows
    Front cupholders
    Remote keyless entry
    Passenger door bin
    Rear cupholders
    Passenger vanity mirror
    Driver vanity mirror
    Overhead console
    1-touch down
    Telescoping steering wheel
    Illuminated entry
    Speed control
    1-touch up
    Driver door bin
    Air conditioning
    Tilt steering wheel
    Rear door bins
    BODY EXTERIOR
    Power door mirrors
    Spoiler
    Bumpers: body-color
    Door mirrors: body-color
    LIGHTING, VISIBILITY AND INSTRUMENTATION
    Front reading lights
    Front fog lights
    Low tire pressure warning
    Delay-off headlights
    Outside temperature display
    Fully automatic headlights
    Reverse sensing system
    Tachometer
    Rear window defroster
    Rear reading lights
    Trip computer
    Rear window wiper
    Variably intermittent wipers
    SAFETY AND SECURITY
    Brake assist
    Overhead airbag
    Electronic stability
    Dual front impact airbags
    Adjustable head restraints: driver and passenger w/tilt
    Knee airbag
    Occupant sensing airbag
    Panic alarm
    Dual front side impact airbags
    Traction control
    Ignition disable
    ABS brakes
    4 wheel disc brakes
    Anti-whiplash front head restraints
  • china_betsychina_betsy Member Posts: 1
    I am in Cincinnati. I have a quote for a 2010 SE 2WD black with black leather (with heated seats, moonroof, 6 disc CD, etc) for 33,379 OTD. The stock is very limited and the color is not really what i want, but if i put a deposit down for a different color, I would be subject to the financing charges in place at the time the car came in. right now financing is 0 percent for 36 months (I'd prefer 0 percent for 60 months). I am not so sure this is such a great deal. I'd appreciate feedback
  • manlymanly Member Posts: 14
    Hi Timmy,

Could you tell me wchich saleman that you got it from??? It's not a bad distance to drive from SFV to Longo to get the car.

Thanks,
    r.ly@earthlink.net
    I took delivery of an SE on 4/4, and so far am very happy with this vehicle, averaging 21 mpg in mixed driving. Very quiet, comfortable and roomy vehicle. Purchased Toyota Platinum Extended 7/100K $0 deductible Warranty from Midwestern Superstore in Kansas (Jerry Johnson) for $889, bought some accessories from Toyota of Puyallup for very reasonable prices (far below other dealers). Had Toyota body side mouldings installed by a local dealer for the same price as factory.
  • nacenace Member Posts: 45
    germil, congradulations on your SE purchase.
    if you will, please share a brake-down of your purchase price.
    also is your SE a front wheel, or all wheel drive?
    thank you, nace
    nace-the SE is 4WD. MSRP was $35,484; factory options were wheel locks, blue tooth, mud guards and carpet mats. I paid $32,475 + TTL; document fee was $169. $32,475 was $125 over invoice, not a great deal but I did get 0% for 5 years. I paid a little more to get a color and options that I wanted as the vehicle was in transit. Other dealers were selling out of stock for $200 under invoice. Hope this helps.
  • flymeawayflymeaway Member Posts: 4
    edited April 2010
    Germil -

congrats on your new highlander. May i ask where the car was purchased? State?
    flymeaway-Central NJ.
  • highl2010highl2010 Member Posts: 4
    i am getting a limited edition with 4WD, JBL, option package #7,8 without RES, but a custom DVD installed ( No Nav) for 35742

you think its a good price? i tried several dealers couldnt find anyone cross this offer