Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Highlander Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• minileedxrminileedxr Member Posts: 9
    Germil,

Did you buy recently? How were you able to get 0% for five years? I thought that ended in early April?

Thanks
    edited May 2010
    I've been reading the last 15 pages of post, and would like everyone's opinions:

Looking to get a 2010 Highlander, V6, AWD. Only accessory is carpet/cargo mat.

MSRP is 35005. Salesguy said he'll take off 1500, making it 33,505. I said it was too expensive. He asked if I was a Costco member, which I am. He said Costco members get the vehicle at 800 over invoice. Invoice is 32,116, which meant for me it would be 32,916. I said too expensive again. He said the lowest he could do is 500 over invoice, so the final offer he gave was 32,616 (before TTL + 2.9% APR, which afterwards by the way makes the price jump pretty high).

Not sure if this makes a difference, but I'm in NorCal. It's en route, and scheduled to be here before 05/05/10. I put down a refundable $500 deposit to hold the vehicle.

Thoughts? Could I get the vehicle for invoice (32,116) or lower?

Thanks to all
  • janeyjanjaneyjan Member Posts: 6
    I too, have read, all of these past posts, concerning, the prices paid for the 2010 highlanders.( and now wonder if I paid way to much for our highlander)
    I waited til almost the last week of the o% 60month incentive to purchase our new vehicle. We live in the midwest and so I decieded to go with a base model, awd and v6.. It's magnectic gray with cloth interior
    The MSRP was 31,420. The options that came with this model were, FE EH,PE,QB,TO,and CT. I traded in a 1995 camry, with 94,000 miles on it, and they gave us 2500. Had to put down a $500 dollar deposit. the price we paid was 28,818. plus TTL.( they included 149 doc fee, and 250 for going to pick this vehicle up, at a dealership near minneapolis, ) So in the end it was or is and expensive vehicle, considering, a few that I have read on this site, bought theres for much less.
    I would like to know if this is standard,to charge for going to pick up a vehicle in a city, 200 miles from where we live? I still am disgusted for that charge.
    but like I said, at the time we decieded to buy one of these, the inventory was next to nothing... and this goof, that we were working with, once again, said, its a matter of supply and demand...!!!!.
    At any rate, we love this vehicle and plan on having this for a long long time,
    If it runs like our '95 did,, then it will be worth the extra money, since we absolutely had no trouble at all, with that car. Hope this helps,and I would be intrested in knowing if any of you, also had to pay , for delivery charge of your vehicle??
    I think you got a good, not great, price on your vehicle, considering all the options you got. My price quote did not include any options other than the carpet/cargo mats; and after reading your options, I want some of them now!

A buddy told me a good rule of thumb is if you can get out the door price near MSRP, it is a good deal.

When you say "delivery charge," are you referring to "destination charge?" If so, you got a deal. My dealership is charging $800 for destination charge. Your Doc Fee of 149 seems high, given that the Doc Fee for me is 55.
  • snowdaddyosnowdaddyo Member Posts: 53
    "A buddy told me a good rule of thumb is if you can get out the door price near MSRP, it is a good deal."

That's a pretty poor piece of advice, if you ask me. MSRP's are bogus to begin with, and do not reflect real market conditions. Also, what are the current cashback or financing incentives, if any? Is it the end of a model year or production cycle? How about the tax rate (anywhere between 0% and 10% of purchase price)? All of these have to be factored in.
    NO, the $250 charge was for going after the vehicle nearly 233 miles away..!!!
    I was unaware that a person would have to pay for the dealership's help to go pick this up,, when they certainly made a hefty profit on the car in the first place,ughhh!!!
    I did pay the $800. dollar destination fee, ,plus that 149.00 dollar doc fee..
    so when adding up all those ridicilous fees, the final price including tax title and license fee came to 31,173.60..... and they were soo generous they threw in a oil filter wrench,, How nice of them.... ( I'm more than sure, I paid for that also)..lol....
    .Im sure there are some really really nice car salesmen out there, but this ding-a-ling,, I dealt with, was not one of them...
    None the less, I am going to enjoy my new vehicle..(smilin' here).
  • flymeawayflymeaway Member Posts: 4
    if that's for a SE then it is a pretty decent price considering how low the inventory is in Norcal. I shopped around for a while for a highlander. and i remember toward the end of the 0% financing for 60 months at the end of March, none of the dealers that I spoke to would only lower about 1k off of MSRP. (all of them were telling me how there's no inventory and how there's such a huge demand for the car). at the end, i bought the highlander AFTER the 0% for 60 months promo ended and paid cash for the car (but got 1000 dollars off from Toyota ).
  • flymeawayflymeaway Member Posts: 4
    the promo varies by location. the incentives in norcal is pretty bad compared to the rest of the country.
    once again, the answer is NO,, it is not a se ,, just a base with awd, v6 and the options that I had mentioned before, I don;t think it was a fair price at all, but
    I did buy it, mainly because of the 0% 60 month incentive, I figured I did save myself a few thousand by not paying intrest...
  • snowdaddyosnowdaddyo Member Posts: 53
    My experience with Toyota is that all their incentives really benefit the dealer first and foremost. The consumer gets screwed because they purposely keep inventories low to maintain high market prices.
    Snowdaddyo,

I totally agree with you. When there are incentives out there Toyota holds back inventory to make the deal look bigger and better than it really is. Simple economics, supply and demand. Supply is kept low, which drives price up. 0% APR is good, but they are able to keep prices near MSRP because of low inventories.

Speaking of incentives, looks like they are keeping the 2.9% for the month of May for Highlanders.
  • highl2010highl2010 Member Posts: 4
    Got a Limited, 4WD, VR6, Running boards, JBL system Visteon DVD-Gameboy system, leather for $35722

tried other places, i could had saved maybe 100-200 more, however this seemed ok to me?

Thoughts? ;)
  • germilgermil Member Posts: 11
    minileedxr-I took delivery on 4/4 two days before 0% for five years ended.
  • carolina2carolina2 Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2010
    Hi Anyone,
    I am planning to buy a 2010 highlander V6, FWD, sunroof--base model. I am reading comments in this forum. I am naive before a car salesman. How to negotiate or what price? I am in the Carolinas.

Thank you very much for any suggestions.

Caroline.
    My advice would be to obviously do your research online to see how much the dealerships pay for the vehicle (invoice), and try to negotiate a price near that. You can always ask to see their invoice price.

Also, look at buying programs such as Costco, which offer hassle free pricing.

Good luck.
  • mdhuttonmdhutton Member Posts: 195
    Also, arrive at your best price that you're willing to pay, and don't go $.01 over. Be fair - they have to make SOME money on the car, that's why they're in business, but there's no reason for them to take advantage of you. If they won't sell to you at your price, walk out and find a dealer who will....most likely, you'll get a desperate plea from your salesperson and his/her manager once you're heading to the door. They always become much more flexible then. Don't let your emotions of wanting a new vehicle outweigh common sense. Good luck!
    And, if you're like me, mail a copy of the sales contract from dealer #2 who met your price to dealer #1 and remind them of what could have been....
    "Be fair - they have to make SOME money on the car, that's why they're in business, but there's no reason for them to take advantage of you."

What would you consider to be a fair price in comparison to invoice? How much under, over, at? How do you feel about dealer holdback to make invoice seem reasonable?

Also, as stated in some previous post, it seems Toyota is intentionally holding back supply of certain models, in order to drive prices up. Less supply, increases price.
  • stevecao016stevecao016 Member Posts: 1
    Is the toyota incentive for 0.0% APR still going on?
    A good friend of mine who was once a sales manager for the largest-volume Honda dealer in the Chicago area said that most dealers will "settle" for a profit of $1000 - $1200 per vehicle. This is AFTER receiving holdback from the factory, so for you and me, somewhere from $200 - $400 OVER their invoice is what we should aim for. This is assuming a 2% holdback on a $40,000 vehicle.
    Very interesting numbers. A good friend of mine as well, that I have known for over ten years, works at a Mazda dealership. He told me that if a customer offers invoice price on a vehicle, they would gladly accept it. They make their money off of dealer holdback, and reaching their monthly quotas.

All in all, I guess each company and dealership has different goals. I'm sure regions which factor into supply of certain vehicles make a difference as well.
  • steven1357steven1357 Member Posts: 69
    edited May 2010
    I agree.

The "dealer's" "invoice" amount already has more than enough profit in it. IMHO a good deal for the purchaser would be below that dealer's invoice amount.

In fact, I start out with the dealer's "true" cost of that vehicle (which is much less than that invoice they will show you) & then settle with them on a "reasonable" profit they will make.

Also, I do all of my negotiating by EMail with the Internet Manager or his assigned salesman & will not even visit the dealer until we reach a final out of the door price before TT&L. They can allocate the selling price to whatever items they want to as long as I pay the final price I have agreed to.
    You should have seen the look on a salesman's face once when I said, "I will pay you $1,000,000 for this car" and then paused very briefly. I finished my sentence with, "IF you will agree to a $980,000 trade-in allowance for my trade."
    The cash difference is $20,000, so I don't care what the actual numbers are.
  • 1batman1batman Member Posts: 4
    Please let me know if you think this is a good deal.

Toyota Highlander Limited
    Extra value package #1
    36 months
    12k miles/yr
    0 money down, sign and drive.
    $525 a month.
  • domer0105domer0105 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all -

I enjoyed reading your posts during my shopping experience, so i figured i would contribute my info in case it may help future shoppers.

I am in Fairfield County, Connecticut. I was shopping for a Black 2010 Highlander Limited with the following options:

QI Package aka Extra Value #8 (Nav, Bluetooth, etc.)
    RF(Rear Spoiler)
    CT (Carpets - didn't really want them but couldn't find a dealer that would exclude them)
    TO (Towing prep package - same as the carpets).

MSRP = $39,560
    Invoice (including Destination charge) = $36,089
    Out the door price paid = Invoice + $75 documentation fee = $36,164 (excluding Tax & DMV fees)

Things i learned:
    - Negotiate through email... i went to visit one dealership to do a test drive. The salesman was nice enough during the test drive but wouldn't budge on the pricing when i tried to negotiate a few days later via the phone after getting some online bids. His "final" price was $2000 more than the final price i paid.
    - If you were looking for a specific car like i was (colors + options), every dealer will tell you that they are not sure that they have it in inventory. Magically the car will appear once you are ready to put down a deposit. This is just a way for them to up-sell you in to another car with options that you don't want.
    - When you start to get bids and tell one dealer that another dealer has given you a better price and that you are going to buy from them instead, the first play in the sales playbook is to tell you "i hope it is a real price -- you know that they are going to try and add other fee's on top of your price". At best it is a lame scare tactic, at worst you get the feeling that there wouldn't be much to stop the person you are talking to from doing the same if you bought from them.
    - I was a member of some of the auto club buying programs (USAA, Costco). I used their online sites to ballpark where i should be in my price point, but i didn't use them to do my initial negotiations. I viewed this as my backstop but feared that i would get locked in to the price when i thought i could still get better. And i ended up getting better. Most of the auto clubs could get you Invoice +200/+400 pricing.
    - I got in to "final"negotiations with a few dealers where i was ready to put down a deposit, but when i pushed for them to send me a written & signed contract with their offer, the less helpful dealerships would just respond via email with their offer again. The place i received the best price from also followed up with a written/signed offer letter that was scanned and sent to me -- which was a nice layer of confidence when trying to buy over the internet.

That's all i can recall for now. Happy Shopping.

- Domer
  • atmben03atmben03 Member Posts: 1
    Just closed on a vehicle this weekend.
    Vehicle Details:
    -2010 Limited
    -Extra Value Package #7
    -Special Color
    -Vehicle Shield Package

MSRP: $36974
    Invoice: $33780
    Purchase Price: $33624

I worked with Justin Elliot at Jim McNatt Toyota in Denton, TX. The only dealer in the DFW area that could get me into 90% of MSRP area. Fantastic car, great buying experience. You really have to get bids from all over to get the best deal.
  • nacenace Member Posts: 45
    msrp $31420.00 included options, tow package, dr power seat, reat air, engine immoblizer,tonneau cover, running lights, cold weather pkg
    cargo net, roof rack cross rails, $ 28,641 before TTL, doe fee,
    how good of a deal , im not to sure. i know i will enjoy the car.
    my dealer is north west of chicago, suburbs.
    hi nace//
    I think you got a good deal.............................
    I too, got the very same package as you just described,, in metallic gray...cloth interior............................ only I traded in a'95 camry, and got 2500.. off....and I happened to get in on the 0% 60 months inentive, so figured I save a few dollars on the intrest..however your numbers were still better than mine
    at any rate.. enjoy the ride.. I know I am.. It's a great vehicle...
  • dd8dd8 Member Posts: 1
    Anyone purchase a highlander hybrid limited recently? We looked and were quoted a base price of 41000 - before any of the options. Looking at trueprice, the invoice is 38934. Realistically, how close can I expect to get to that? The options I'm hoping for are the navi and the extra value package (dual a/c, rear a/c) - according to the toyota website that's an extra 4305. Should I expect any break on the options? Thanks in advance!
  • synch22synch22 Member Posts: 16
    Bought a limited at the end of march few posts back. Paid $43,500 for a blizzard Pearl Limited (minus taxes and title) got the navigation and XM, mudguards, rack and a couple other extras and 0% 5 years . We love the car.
  • yaomiyigeyaomiyige Member Posts: 2
    I got a quote for Base V6 AWD for $27925, which is 3495 below MSRP. Do you think that it is a reasonable deal? thanks.
  • sunnyvalisunnyvali Member Posts: 33
    How was your experience with the dealer? I am in Frisco and looking for the limited with NAV. Thanks!
  • vahanumvahanum Member Posts: 1
    I would like to share my recent experience with a Northern Jersey Toyota Dealer.
    On April 3rd, I finalized the deal for a 2010 Highlander/ Green color/0% APR/60 months. Clearly told the dealer that I was there because of 0% APR, went through the credit check and paid around 2000$. Rather, I thought I had a deal. Dealer couldn't get the color but promised to get it within few weeks. After a week, I was told that the dealership has placed the order with Toyota and will get in last week of April. Then I was promised the vehicle in the first week of May. I was calling every week to follow up and visited them even once.

I was told during one of my calls (May 17th) that we are getting the highlander next week but that there is a small issue. Yes, I can get it only at 2.9% - because Toyota has changed its promotion and it is Toyota's problem.

I went in person and met a senior manager who had the most ridiculous attitude. He couldn't answer my basic question - Why wasn't I informed about this issue in all these 45 days? He argued that I wouldn't have done anything even if I had known. Sure, I could have chosen my second color of choice and availed Toyota's next promotion - 0% APR for 36 months on Highlander (till May 4th) – worst case at the same dealership.

As instructed, I called Toyota and spoke to a friendly representative. She heard my story and clearly said that the dealers are responsible for executing the promotion. As per Toyota, I should have driven the car out of the lot before end of promotion to avail the 0% APR. She was surprised that nobody in the dealership told me that – not only on April 3rd but for the next 45 days.

Toyota gave me a case number and the dealer’s Customer Relationship manager is supposed to respond within next 3 days. Two days gone and I am yet to hear.

Pondering on my next move. Appreciate some feedback.
    V6 4WD, LIMITED leather moonroof
    package #7, DVD GAMEBOY VISTEON EXTRA PROTECTION GUARDS

$35700 OUT OF DOOR
    You gave the dealer $2000 for a car that didn't exist. I'm afraid you'll have to finance on whatever terms are in place the day your car finally arrives. It's not right, but it's what will happen.
  • letsdoshotsletsdoshots Member Posts: 1
    hi all - we are from houston & are about to purchase this vehicle (we go pick it up tomorrow from Champions Toyota dealership), but our drive out price is $28,200... it has 3rd row seating, which automatically comes with the extra value pkg #2 & power driver's seat... it also has the vehicle shield pkg, which i dont really want, but i'll take it... mats (i can buy these cheaper elsewhere too) & window tint... personally, i think $28,200 is a great price, considering all these options & the dealer invoice costs is about $27,546 (i did my research)... everyone else was trying to get me to pay $28,800 and some over $29k.. but it is end of the month, so now is a good time to purchase.
  • apwalshapwalsh Member Posts: 3
    Pretty good info on this site, thanks everyone.

I was quoted on a Highlander SE, with leather and Bluetooth today, $32,600 selling price, and $385/mo lease with no money down, ttl costs up front. MSRP was $35k and change. I'm going to check with some other dealers tomorrow, but I think that this was a pretty fair price for the car. I can probably get a little lower, but the hard work is done. Does anyone have an opinion on this price?
    Hi
    I am in the process of buying a 2010 highlander SE, V6--no other option. A dealer gave me a price something like this: $28,000 + tag, title, etc.

The dealer took the toyota's $1500 cash back, so the price should be $29,500. He also took my $1,500 Trade-in car. So the final price of the highlander is: 29,500 + 1,500 = $31,000 plus tag, title etc.

Since he took the toyota's $1500 rebate I must take 2.9% or up interest loan depending upon my credit score.

Is it a good price? How could I negotiate-- any suggestion on pricing or any discussion would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
    yolonda, carolinas
    apwalsh & carolina2: are your prices for the 2WD or AWD? There is about a $1500 difference in MSRP when comparing the two.

As for me, a dealership called and said that I won. They are going to sell me the car at my price, which was invoice. In the end, I got a 2010 Highlander SE, V6, AWD, with carpets/mats, and crossbars for $32,267. They did however, make their money back in the paint and leather protection that I bought for 1k.

Thoughts?
    Hi,

It was 2 wheel drive.

The highlander i am talking about is 2010 SE V6. only floor mats come with it.

Thanks--Carolinas.
    Hello all,

I am looking to get the Body Side Moldings (to decrease the chances of door dings), and Running Boards (to help people get in, appearance) on my Highlander.

A question to all: will Running Boards act as Body Side Moldings? Do they stick out enough to prevent door dings?

Thanks.
  • testudotestudo Member Posts: 1
    Purchased at a dealership in MD.

MSRP: 46,400
    DISCOUNT OFF MSRP: 5,500
    PLUS tax tags and $100 doc fee

4 MD dealerships were willing to go more than 5,000 below MSRP while negotiating via internet. Most threw out an offer of 4,800-5,100 below MSRP to start. One dealer offered 5,800 below but had an additional dvd system. Some variance with doc fees (100-250), tag fees (275-500), and mileage (15-215) so make sure you get the total price before committing.

Dealers in NJ and NY were all 1,500 to 2,500 more. They were willing to sell at invoice but not any lower.

Happy hunting.
  • apwalshapwalsh Member Posts: 3
    It was AWD, with all the usual, mudflaps, mats, crossbars. I also had bluetooth added in. Have not purchased, yet, trying to get a little lower before I bite.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter wants to talk with recent buyers of a 6+ seat vehicle in the Detroit area. Please respond to pr@edmunds.com by Friday, June 4, 2010 and be sure to include your phone number and the vehicle model you own.
  • razduckrazduck Member Posts: 21
    My friend is near to deciding on a vehicle, and the Highlander Limited V-6 AWD is what she's most interested in. The MSRP is $41,870, what would be a good offer to make to the dealership here in Portland, OR area?
  • blaster949blaster949 Member Posts: 1
    I am being given a quote for V6 Limited with QI Package (Nav) for around $ 35,500.
    Please can anyone tell if this is a good deal?

Regards
  • carlupicarlupi Member Posts: 52
    Go to Fitzgerald Toyota's website (Fitz is located in Maryland) for a low, benchmark price. Fitz is a "no haggle" dealer that consistently sells Toyos (and other makes) at a very good price. Use this price to guide your negotiations with other dealers.

ps. I have no affiliation with Fitzgerald.
    contact me, i just got my vehicle from Gresham dealership, the guy gave me the best quote - i shopped from washington to S Oregon, he beat all the prices.
    ashish30@gmail.com
  • etj0908etj0908 Member Posts: 3
    Just brought home my new Base 4x4 Highlander with Extra Value Pack #2 (power front seats, cold weather packet, carpet floor mats, mudguards, roof rails and cross bars, rear a/c).

MSRP 31528
    Price Paid 26500 + 6.25% MA tax + 125 Registration Fee + 299 Doc Fee
    2.9% financing for 60 months

Got 2500 trade-in for 2002 Explorer with 122k miles.

Boch Toyota - Norwood, MA
  • cuvangcuvang Member Posts: 31
    Hi,
    Is that a V6 4x4 base? Thats is a great deal! I am in the market for V6 base or Sport, checking prices here in Southern Califfornia. If any one knows a great deal, let me know. thks
  • fellaharleyfellaharley Member Posts: 3
    I live in Connecticut. Today I test drove a 2010 Black V6 Highlander. The only option I requested was a sunroof. I was given a MSRP of $32676, and sales price of $29995 PLUS taxes and fees. Any thoughts??