Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Highlander Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• fellaharleyfellaharley Member Posts: 3
    Yes. 4X4 base.
  • etj0908etj0908 Member Posts: 3
    That sounds similar to what I just got, the base 4x4. I just didn't get the sunroof. I think the 29995 is too high. Not sure how much adds, but the most you should pay minus the sun room is 27500.
  • etj0908etj0908 Member Posts: 3
    It is a V6 4x4 base. Don't pay more than 27500 for it.

What is interesting about my purchase is we negotiated 26500 and 2500 for my trade-in. But on the paperwork, they wrote up 27500 and 3500 for my trade in.
  • cuvangcuvang Member Posts: 31
    The best quote I have so far is for base V6 2x4 with added access $1800 extra totaled $26995 plus TTL. You got a GREAT DEAL. 4x4 is additonal $1500. You save $2000 below the discounted price. WOW. Maybe its regional. I have contacted over 10 dealers in SoCal and no one came close to $26500 for base V6.
  • nipgornipgor Member Posts: 1
    Hi All,

MSRP 31528
    Price Paid 26500 + 6.25% MA tax + 125 Registration Fee + 299 Doc Fee
    2.9% financing for 60 months

The information provided by etj0908 about Toyota Highlander Base. Was it a 2.7L or 3.5L Highlander? Anyone knows, please confirm.

If it's not a 2.7L, please let me know what is the possible, good price to get a 2.7L Toyota Highlander Base in Texas.

I need to know the price, so I can do well in the negotiation phase. Thanks for the helpful information.

thanks in advance.
  • tdivertdiver Member Posts: 18
    Well I looks like I am about to pull the trigger on a 2010 Highlander Limited. A black beauty with the sand beige interior, power rear door, value package 7 ,sport-styled rear spoiler, towing package and towhitch w/ wiring harness, cross bars, ipod interface kit, carpet/cargo mat - 3 row seating ,side molding and mud flaps. list approx $39675. MY cost 25,373.00 and my 2004 Forester XT with 68000 miles that is in excellence condition. What do you all think? Good deal or wait for the 2011?
  • drdan01drdan01 Member Posts: 3
    I'm using USAA certified pricing and getting a Limited with the EVP #8, Color-Keyed Sport Rear Spoiler, Tow Package, Tow Receiver Hitch w/Wire Harness, Running Boards and the CT carpeted floor mat set for $36,979 (+ tax, license, etc.) which is $250 below dealer invoice and $3,894 below MRSP. No haggle, and including the dealer I picked there were several area dealers that guaranteed to meet that price.
  • blackblack Member Posts: 9
    Bought V6 AWD Base + some options from Twin Cities MN area.
    I don't mention the price since it was a trade in and therefore what I paid has been factored in to the trade.

What I can tell you is that the 'smart target price' of a popular car value site is accurate. Most of the dealership in the area don't like to haggle. So, I haggled up the value of my trade. That way I felt I paid something closer to Invoice of the SUV.

I did visit both Walzer and Burnsville Toyota. Walzer had higher sticker price, however the car comes loaded with perks like free car washes, gasoline discounts etc. Burnsville had the lowest sticker, however did not have the same perks like Walzer. So, if you are in the long haul, perhaps you will make few hundred bucks by going with Walzer.

The service was like day and night between the dealerships. You feel good to walk in to the Burnsville dealership and speaking with the sales. Walzer felt like going to a Sams club and getting a vehicle.

My take on the Highlander:
    It is fun to drive.
    However I hate Toyota for not paying attention for finer details. I see no design evolution towards 2010 from the previous generation.

The door controls are a pain to reach since you have to bend your wrist to access them. Some of the controls aren't self intuitive and really small. The lavish options were never a turn on for me for the price you pay. The MPG sucks. still better than Pilot.

I test drove Rav4 (loved it) and Venza (hated the ride). Also test drove older CRV and Highlander.

I am 90% satisfied with the purchase. Toyota would easily have tried to satisfy other 10% with some little effort and smart thinking.
  • nguyen87nguyen87 Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone, I'm in Houston area and looking to buy a Highlander SE FWD. The MSRP for the one i'm looking at is $33897. One dealer offer me $33200 (blizzard pearl color) for the drive out price and another offer $32890 (silver), is that reasonable? I made an offer for $32250 but they both turned it down.
    Please let me know if these prices are reasonable.
  • drdan01drdan01 Member Posts: 3
    It depends upon what you're getting for options on it but for a basic SE FWD in Houston the target price should be about $1800 below MSRP.
  • rayccraycc Member Posts: 28
    Right now we have 1.9% APR on Highlander in the Kansas City area while some other model has 0% APR. All this end on 08-02-2010. With other make offering 0% APR, I'm thinking Toyota will still offer incentives after 08-02-2010. I'm hoping that they will offer 0% APR on the Highlander. What do you guys think?
  • sassymolassiesassymolassie Member Posts: 7
    We bought a 2010 Highlander for $29996 plus TT&L on July 22 at Milham Toyota in Easton, Pa (nice buying experience). The sticker was $32,951. It is a 4WD V6 with the cold weather package, 6 Disc CD, and the Extra Value package 2 and a moonroof.

It's quite an upgrade over my 2003 Jeep Liberty Limited which we sold. It's smaller and has a smoother ride than my 2007 Honda Pilot. It is a lot easier to access the third row in the Highlander (than in the Pilot). The keyless entry control is separate from the key was disappointing because I thought the newer key fobs were becoming standard on most cars. Also, the lack of XM installed was disappointing, but I knew about that coming in.

My wife initially wanted either a RAV-4 or a Ford Escape. We didn't like the fact that we could really feel the road vibrations in the floor when we test drove the RAV-4 and the Escape didn't seem to match the Toyota quality, although we could have saved a couple of grand.

It's my first Toyota and it already made a five-hour trip with my family.
  • fatchyfatchy Member Posts: 8
    Just got a 2010 Highlander Base V6 AWD (MSRP 31748) for $27186 before TTL from a dealer in the Boston area.

No trade-in. Also got 1.9% financing and 2 year free maintenance.

I think I could have pushed for a slightly better deal but decided my time is limited and going thru the negotiation is just a torturing experience.
    Got an offer for a 2010 Highlander Base V6 AWD (MSRP 31365.00) for $28,745. I'm in the Kansas city area. I think the offer price is Invoice. is that a good deal?
  • high4high4 Member Posts: 2
    Just bought an 2010 highlander v6 4wd for $27800 +TTL and $100 processing fee, MSRP was $32579. Is that a good deal or not?
  • nacenace Member Posts: 45
    raycc, my message from may 17,
    msrp $31420.00 included options, tow package, dr power seat, reat air, engine immoblizer,tonneau cover, running lights, cold weather pkg
    cargo net, roof rack cross rails, $ 28,641 before TTL, doe fee,
    how good of a deal , im not to sure. i know i will enjoy the car.
    my dealer is north west of chicago, suburbs.
    raycc, nomatter what was paid, i know that you will be pleased with your highlander.
  • raul76051raul76051 Member Posts: 19
    Is it possible to get a 2010 Highlander SE with Nav package and moonroof/sunroof, if so how much should i be expecting to pay?

Thnaks..
    The dealer that make me this offer "2010 Highlander Base V6 AWD (MSRP 31365.00) for $28,745" didn't reply back when I ask them what color is the interior.

But got another dealer making me this offer for a 2010 Highlander Base V6 AWD, MSRP is 31389.00

$28926.04 for the vehicle, $304.50 fees and sale tax with 1.9 apr.

Is the fees too high?
    I don't know why some people paying so much for a highlander elsewhere. But in the Boston area, they are selling below 'dealer cost'. I don't know anyone who brought a toyota in the past 2 years pay anywhere close to 'invoice cost'.

Even for other brands, people I know consistently get deals several hundreds below 'invoice'. A friend got a brand new 2011 hyundai sonata for 500 below invoice, which he thought wasn't possible initially.

A brand new car is a brand new car. I value my money far more than dealer 'loyalty'.

>But got another dealer making me this offer for a 2010 Highlander Base V6 AWD, MSRP is 31389.00
  • kkovakkkovak Member Posts: 16
    Have an pending offer from an Eastern PA dealer for a 2010 HL SE AWD with carpets, bluetooth and mudflaps of $32,750 (+ tax & tags) from an MSRP of $35,250.

How does this fit in with what folks are paying?

Ken
    I was offered a similarly configured SE AWD for $31000. Don't pay more, shop around.
  • eugene123eugene123 Member Posts: 3
    Hi folks - I have come across a certified used '08 AWD Limited Highlander with premium sound, leather and moonroof (no navigation) with about 30,000 miles on it. I've never bought a used car, but it is a Certified Used vehicle being offered by a Toyota dealership in Maryland. It looks to be in good condition with one big caveat for me - it has had 2 prior owners within the last two years. While it checks out on carfax and is certified, it gives me some sense of hesitation. The listing price is nearly $32K and seems a bit pricey to me.

The questions for the community are this:
    - Should I be automatically suspicious given it has had 2 previous owners?
    - If I trade this car in or sell it in the future, will it hold significantly less residual value for me in the future as the 3rd owner vs. if I were only the 2nd owner?
    - What's a reasonable price to pay? My thought is to low-ball at ~$28-$29K...is this crazy?
  • steven1357steven1357 Member Posts: 69
    edited August 2010
    Just as a comparison, I paid exactly $ 32,000 in late Dec 2009 for a brand new 2010 Limited just like that one except mine had the Blizzard Pearl color (extra $ 220 MSRP I believe) and it was not AWD. Mine was a FWD.

The term "certified used vehicle" would be worth $ .00 to me.
    So would the carfax report. They list only what is reported to them. Doesn't mean there are not other items that were not reported.

How many owners it had should not have any bearing on its value as a used car in the future. Unless those multiple ownerships in such a short time were due to some type of defect.

"I" would be suspicious because it already has had 2 previous owners and would try to determine the exact reason(s) why each got rid of it. If you could some way get their names & contact them, I believe they might be truthful since they have already unloaded any problems they had.

Bottom line is "I" think you would be better off buying a new 2010 even if it means going down to the base model if price is a major factor to you.

That 2008 model is IMHO grossly overpriced!
  • whopprwhoppr Member Posts: 13
    Does anyone have a list or know where there is a list of past incentives by chance? I am looking at Highlander now and there is $750 cash back in my area. Im toying with waiting til the 2011, but think the current incentives are OK. It would be good to know what they have been for the year if anyone knows.

Also anyone know when the 2011s will be hitting the lots?

Thanks
    I would buy a new one instead. I also researched used highlander before settled on the new one. Nobody seem willing to sell a 1 to 3 year old highlander for reasonable price.
  • ichlichl Member Posts: 3
    I am in the market for a 2010 HL Limited 2WD with EVP#8 Silver metallic. Here in Jacksonville, FL all dealers are charging $599 as doc fee. Is it a common practice elsewhere also.

I was given a quote at $34,500 plus doc fee $599. TTL is additional of course. Is that a good price or still negotiable. Also, why do dealers keep selling price and doc fee separate. From consumer perspective, what goes out from the pocket to the dealer matters. Tax and Title are Government components so there is no fuss about it.

I really appreciate your feedback and any good dealer in Jax, FL to negotiate with less torture. I need to close the deal by the end of August.

Thanks for your time!
    :)
  • mdhuttonmdhutton Member Posts: 195
    Doc fees are required to be a separate line item on your sales contracts in all states, but some states set a maximum amount that can be charged and others do not. Florida (your state) does not cap them. They are negotiable, even when dealers say they're not.

Example - In my state (Illinois) there is a cap of $150 for doc fees. They're negotiable up to that amount. Too many buyers think that the cap means that's what they have to pay. Wrong! That's just the most they can be charged...
  • ben73ben73 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought it yesterday. MSRP $39038. It basically has everything but Navigation, such as Extra VP #7, Towing Prep, etc. OTD $34900 including $1500 rebate. I'm in GA.
    Happy car shopping
  • zzooomm1zzooomm1 Member Posts: 1
    Hey Ben---That is a phenominal price!! It looks like about 12% off MSRP.I live in Illinois but no one is remotely close to your price. I'm looking at a Ltd with the VP #7 pkg,pwr door,tow prep,etc. Can you post the dealer name and city or email me that info so I can contact them? At that price I'd fly south to pick it up.Thanks!
  • fiecafieca Member Posts: 7
    I am also looking for SE or LTD, I live in IL, so far the best quote I got on SE is $31,736 from Fox Lake. They offer lifetime power train warranty.

Ben, Can you pease also send/post the dealership. The price is awesome..
    i purchased my 2010 se awd in may with some additional options (tow package, cross rails, power seat, mirror defroster and extra program key for about the price you were quoted (otd).
    my suggestion is to try libertyville toyota and shoot them a fair offer which you would be willing to pay..
    that is what i did after shopping many dealers. vary little haggling with them.
  • glennjrglennjr Member Posts: 37
    Real close on a AWD 4x4 Highlander SE lease at a dealer in NJ.

$35,015 MSRP (Base SE with floor mats)
    $31,500 Negotiated prices/cap cost

3 yr 15k $381/mo with inceptions down ($249 doc,$650 acq,$250 tags,$381 first month payment for a toal of $1575 down)

Residual is $19,600
    MF is .0005 or just over 1%

Im holding out for about $500 which i feel they can find in my trade or take off the Highlander. They are cutting me a check for the equity in my trade.

Hopefully they sharpen their pencils tomorrow
  • fiecafieca Member Posts: 7
    Nace,

What was your OTD price, I can't think of you got 31,706 OTD price. that means taking 7% tax off, they offered you SE AWD for $29487? did you buy on cash or what was the deal going on that time?
    i inadvertently mislead you, for that i opologize.

i purchased a base model 6 cyl awd. OTD price $ 31100
    msrp $31420.00 included options, tow package, dr power seat, reat air, engine immoblizer,tonneau cover, running lights, cold weather pkg
    cargo net, roof rack cross rails,extra programed key $ 28,641 before TTL, doe fee,
    how good of a deal , im not to sure. i know i will enjoy the car.
    my dealer is north west of chicago, suburbs.
  • spm1695spm1695 Member Posts: 8
    I bot a brand new 2010 Toyota Highlander Limited w/Navigation (Black w/beige leather) for $33,617 (before the taxes, plus $250 doc fee + $125 registration. I live in Boston area. I think I got a very good deal.
  • veal23veal23 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2010
    offer on highlander hybrid limited from dealer in Michigan, navigation, extra value package. no trade in.

Price: 44,300 (plus tax, license, doc). Invoice price at dealer listed at 43,200. So offered price seems a bit high, but dealer willing to give us 0% for 48months.

Is this a good deal? what are others getting?
    Bought a base model, V6 4WD, Magnetic Grey with Ash interior.

- Extra Value #2
    - Cross bars
    - Mud guards

MSRP=$31,619

Price:
    $25,925 - price of car
    $295 - Doc fee
    $25 State Fee
    _______
    $26,245 OTD

Good deal? I think so based on what I have read.
    That's an excellent price. Did you have a trade in or did you get a rebate?
  • xtian97sc2xtian97sc2 Member Posts: 6
    In Houston got offered 33999 FWD Limited loaded Blizzard Pearl but without Nav... MSRP was 38853. Prices may still fall though after the 2011 model comes out Sept 24th with the slight refresh, new lights & front & rear bumpers, & split 3rd row seats. Still rumored for US but here it is in Russia">link title http://highlander.toyota.ru/media/Highlander.pdf. Hmmm what to do?
  • sbaycasbayca Member Posts: 5
    I have the following offer for a 2010 highlander base v6 w/ 3rd row seating, in San Jose, CA (bay area)-
    dealer inv: $24143
    options: $1076
    (power multi-adj driver's seat: $256,
    Extra value package(QB): $490
    cross bars: $150
    mats incl 3rd row: $180)
    destination: $810
    TDA: $483 ... toyota dealership association
    gasoline: $10
    dealer holdback: $555
    wholesale financial reserve: $277
    Total invoice: $27354
    discount: $100
    sale price: $27254
    tax title and other fees: $ 3020
    Total OTD: 30,274

It comes with 2yrs/25k miles free scheduled maintenance. I'm considering buying an additional 2 years of maintenance for $450. I'm also considering 3 years 0% financing in lieu of $1000 cashback.

Any comments on whether this is a good deal? Anyone know of or have had a better price in the area?
    No trade in... I always try and leave trade-in out of the mix. It adds another variable that makes it harder to negotiate true cost. The vehicle I was driving is very old and I can sell it privately or donate. I think book on it $1700 but it needs work so Im hoping to get $1K for it. The short of it is trade-in was not in this price however the rebate was.

I used the $750 rebate in my area, which I should have included in my original post. Even with that taken into account I think I got an excellent price. I would be curious to hear if others think so as well. I actually think they would have gone a little lower (long story), but at least I think Im near the bottom of where they would sell it.
  • bobbybobby Member Posts: 6
    this is a good price.
    I just got one base fwd white color. MSRP 31,000 (QB+PE and some dealer added tint/bluetooth/mat etc) got quote $26,200 after 1000 rebate over email. but eventually the dealer made me paid 200 more for 26,400.
    not the best I can do, but not too bad either.

I am in Dallas area.
    I think you need to squeeze a little more from them.
    In nov 2004, in bay area, I got a 2005 v6 base 2wd with 3rd row, driver power seat 27500 drive out, ($750 rebate applied), that is about $25K for the car. My experience: it is much easier to get a better price in bay area than in dallas area.
    I think you bought for a good price as well. I should have noted as well that I bought on Aug 30th, end of month. I basically used the same strategy as I used when I bought our minivan a few years ago. you can probably find my post from then. A lot of the strategy I used was my own, but I also had a ton of help from people here and the web.

The reason I think they could have gone lower is they came back pretty quick with the price I threw out.
    I think you got an excellent price for a 4WD. What is/was your negotiation strategy? I'm looking for a similar configuration. Can you break down the price further? I want to see how much you paid for different options. Were there any region-specific adjustments/rebates?
    any idea how much lower I can take them? the 2011 HLs should be out in about 3 weeks. did your price include rebate as well? did you pay separately for the options or did they lump it all up into one?
    Yes it included a $750 rebate. I hear the 2011 might be due this month or maybe October. I wanted to snag a 2010 before inventory is low on the 2010 and I am willing to be the 2011 will not have incentives. I dont know that for sure, but its my guess.

Im happy to provide a further breakdown on the car. What other details are you looking for in addition to what was in my original post.

Strategy--

- price the car at a number of dealers. This might be obvious but think its important to mention. I live in New England and there are a lot of dealers in my area. Use internet sales wherever possible to save time.
    - Have you ever used TrueCar? I think this is OK to refer (not against the rules) since I believe this site has popped up on other threads. truecar.com should give you an idea where your price is in relation to others in your area. TrueCar will also give you certified price in your area. Check it out and let me know if you see a good price. The caveat here is that whatever dealers pop up might not have the exact vehicle. If you fill out the form to submit for a free quote, make sure you ask if they have the vehicle you want. At the very least you have a bargaining chip for a low price.
    - You should really shoot for below dealer cost IMHO if at all possible. To do this the end of the month is key. I have tried to buy on the second to last day so that if something falls through you still have a day to work something else out as a fallback. Dealers do sell sometimes when they loose some money below their cost. Why? The number of cars they sell affects their allocation the following month. With 2011 coming out they really want to get good allocation when they arrive. Just my opinion really. Someone can correct me if Im off.
    - Start your search early in the month even if you buy at the end. There will be dealers you visit and dealers you hear from through internet sales that take time to get back to you. I found once I had a low price some would match or better that price. At the end of the month it helps because you will find dealers will go even lower. Even ones who did not want to negotiate mid month. I found many dealers asked if I had bought yet a few days before the end of the month and they would go back to the drawing board with a new quote. At that point, if they are not even close, I would tell them they are not even in the ballpark. Also dealers that dont contact you, you can email them as well and ask if they have any of the vehicles you like either in stock or on the way. Its a good way to re-establish the conversation and you might get them to come down in price. At that point as with other dealers I would share the low price and see if they can beat it. If not and they match it might be enough to just know they have a vehicle in stock that you like.

- ALWAYS compare doc fees. Its legit but it varies from dealer to dealer. Ask them for any other fees that might be charged and work that into your cost. Rarely someone might not include the destination charge. Make sure that is included. Its the same across dealers but I had one dealer years ago not include it and it was a little deceptive.

Im sure I might have more to add but that is it off the top of my head.
    just thought you >$30K plus TTL is too high, as I think $30K should include everything for 2010 base v6 fwd with QB and PE.

I am not sure how much lower you can get there.
    But in dallas area, I can get $26K (if not for the white color, which is about $200 more). considering california tax, this week; I think you can get a base v6 2wd with QB+PE at $28600 drive out (include tax and all fees) if you pay cash, $29700 drive out if you use their 1.9% APR finance.

This is based on my this week experience in dallas and 6 years ago experience in bay area. send email to more dealers. I sent to 10 dealers there in Nov 2004, finally made a deal at dublin, and the process was much easier there.
  • camry1317camry1317 Member Posts: 16
    edited September 2010
    My salesman e-mailed me and offered me $29,900 for any new 2010 Highlander SE with an MSRP of about $35,000, and told me this is thousands below invoice (it really is) BUT I am not sure if I am in the market to buy as I already own another Toyota that only has 50k miles on it. I told them that I was not interested at this price so they told me to come in and we could try to negotiate a better deal. I'm not sure how much better it could get because they are offering me thousands off invoice and full KBB value for my trade. I am hesitant to even consider because if the incentive goes to 0% financing in a few days, I will be pretty upset.

Had anyone seen a better price? Should I hold out for 0%? Could I possibly talk them down even more?
    The quote I received in sf bay aresa for an SE was a dealer invoice of $30,795 which includes the destination charge of $810, carpet/cargo mats for $180 and $1548 for TDA+Gas+Holdback+Wholesale Reserve. TTL would be extra. If your deal includes TTL, then it indeed would be thousands less than invoice. Otherwise, it is about $900 less than the dealer invoice. Hope this helps.