Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Highlander Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• scottcarascottcara Member Posts: 12
    Hoping some of you smart people out there can tell me if I am getting a good deal or not before I purchase...

2011 Highlander LTD 4WD, options are Towing Prep, JBL upgrade, Drop Hitch receiver, Cross Bars, and mudguards
    MSRP is approximately $41K
    Pricing is $36,680

Lease for 39 months at 12K miles is $484 with $2,600 including all fees or
    Lease for 39 months at 15K miles is $501 with $2,600 including all fees

I think there is room left. Thank you for your assistance.
  • austexaustex Member Posts: 62
    edited June 2011
    I am looking at both 2 & 4WD. here is what is I have.

2WD w/ NAV Offer -37799+TTL while MSRP is 39325(35920+3405)+TTL. This has about 750 of options for color,tow package & Premium Carpets

4WD - Offer- 37,008+TTL MSRP 40153(37370+2800)+TTL
    Has Options - JBL spkrs etc upgrade + unnecessary junk (glass sensor, Tow package,protection pkg, Pin Stripe, door guard, sealant and VIP SALES FOLLOWUP) .. all these options are worth around $2800 .. HA!

What do you all think?
  • mmm79mmm79 Member Posts: 3
    36,500k with Navigation, Cargo Nets, Floor Mats, Mudguards, Tow Hitch, Cross Bars
    Good deal?
    Depends where you live on whether 4WD is worth the slight reduction in gas mileage.

You can probably do a little better on the 2WD price, although inventory does seem to be getting tighter. Navigation seems to be a pretty useful option these days.
    IS this drive out price? of 36500 + TTL?
    Thnx for your response mmm. I am in Texas. Just love the 4WD models. I am also looking at Tribeca touring (has more features) for around 35K + TTL
    drive out price of 39k (everything included)
  • scottcarascottcara Member Posts: 12
    edited June 2011
    I am really rethinking my decision on this car. Yes I like it's looks great but that means that I am making an emotional and not a financially savvy buying decision.

Here's what's got me...Toyota and all you people buying this car are expected to have 52% of the cars value gone in three years. The residual value is so low that you eat all the depreciation and then some when other auto's in the same class potentially have 57-60%...Why would l want to pay a premium and LOSE all that money at the same time just to say I own a Highlander.

Someone needs to convince me that the extra 10% of $37K is worth it...maybe I just don't make as much money as the rest but $500+gas going up is making me think twice...
  • hl_buyerhl_buyer Member Posts: 6
    I got quotation for 2011 Highlander V6 AWD Base with Tech pkg, cold weather, carpet pkg, tow pkg for 29K with 500 Toyota rebate plus ttl.

Is this a good price?
    Its actually $29,900 + TTL.
    Please let me know what you guys think about this price?
    Looking at ~ 39k drive out.
  • luckysevenluckyseven Member Posts: 134
    52% depreciation.... May be you should look at the 3 years old HL that already depreciated that much. It looks pretty much the same.
    Any1 bought a new Highlander with minor hail damage? Whats the reduction in price to bargain for and any future problems to expect?

Any feedback is appreciated
  • vaguy79vaguy79 Member Posts: 13
    Wanted to get some feedback of a Blizzard white, with Navigation, tow prep list price of 41,538 for 35810.35. This is in Atlanta.
  • ds_nyds_ny Member Posts: 8
    Sounds really good compared to what I am seeing in the NY area (~ 38.2K for Ltd w/ NAV + TTL with financing, or 1K less with cash).

Has anyone bought an AWD limited (w/ or w/o NAV) in the NY/NJ area?
  • lookingforcaarlookingforcaar Member Posts: 2
    I am looking for that exact package and have been quoted 32,600. I think that is a pretty good deal. Where are you getting that deal? Thanks
  • xover_buyerxover_buyer Member Posts: 3
    I think "lookingforcaar" got a great deal. I am in metro NYC and have been quoted $33,090.

Please let me us know where you are located and which dealership has that price available. I am looking to buy now.
  • lookingforcaarlookingforcaar Member Posts: 2
    I am now working with my insurance company (USAA) who has a car buying program and I have gotten an online price quote from several different car dealers within 200 miles that I am going to contact. According to insurance co price quote they are slightly below invoice. I think that credit unions also have buying programs. I hope it works.
    My price is through the Costco purchase program. The hl_buyer price of $29,900 for the SE V6 AWD seems too good to be true based on the quote I received. Any additional information on where that price is available would be greatly appreciated!
    I just reread the posting from hl_buyer regarding the price of $29,900 and noticed it was V6 AWD, but NOT SE. That must account for the difference in price between what I received and his/her quote.

You still received a better price than me. What dealership and city did you receive your lowest quote from?
    Yes the price that I mentioned is about BASE model. This price is quoted in twin cities, MN area.
  • hbk695hbk695 Member Posts: 10
    i got an offer of $40,900(including all taxes and fees) out the door price plus DMV fees. What do you guys think, can i do better? im in NY so my sales tax is 8.88%. Im not sure what the price is before the taxes if u do the math its come to around 37,550. Im not sure if any other fees were involved in the out the door price though. If you guys got better deals on the same type of vehicle in the NYC area please let me know. Thanks!
  • hank168hank168 Member Posts: 1
    I think you could do better. Got mine with same spec in January for $39K out the door. Given that Toyota had adjusted their price over the months, but I believe there's currently a $1000 incentive for new purchase.

I bought mine from Millenium Toyota in Hempstead LI, ask for Mike O. their internet sales manager or Toni their sales rep. Good luck!
    also, is it true that "advertising Costs" in NY are near $1,000 for the Dealerships?
  • schmeinyschmeiny Member Posts: 5
    edited July 2011
    In the Bay Area and I'm shooting for 36.5k (which includes destination) for a Limited 4wd w/ NAV. Roughly $4000+ Below MSRP. Gotten one flat no and a few "I'm checking with my bosses". I'll keep you posted.
    The $36,500 is before taxes im assuming, right?
    Is this with the 1000$ cash back included in the price or with the financing (0% for 36 months, or 1.9% for 60?)

I have been offered $41.5K OTD with 0% APR in the NY area. There is a dealer in RI who is offering $40.7K OTD, but is 2hrs drive for me. Still deciding. Wonder if two ppl go to the dealer would be give a better discount?
    Yep, hoping to get out under 40k. Any idea when the 2012's are out? Can't find it anywhere.
  • ricky40ricky40 Member Posts: 2
    $40,375 @ Burlingame, CA. Great experience, no hassles. Costco price for same @ Folsom, CA (near Sacramento) was ~$100 lower, but couldn't get model/color we wanted. Interest sales model is the only way to go.
    If you dont mind Blue exterior, i talked to Millenium toyota in L.I NY and they could def. match that price for you. Blue is just not for me. Im Looking for a Black Exterior with beige sand leather interior.
    judging by last year, Toyota annouced the 2011 model years in Late september so im guessing dealerships should start seeing 2012 models by October-November of this year. Here's the press release from last year. http://pressroom.toyota.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=2472. I don't think there will be any notable differences for the 2012 model year. They just updated the highlander for 2011.
    Interesting, does the $40,375 include:
    *Taxes, Licence, etc
    *DVD rear entertainment?
    Thanks!
    Does the $40.9K price include the 1000$ cash-back or is it with the 0% APR financing (for 36months?)
    $1000 cash back.
    What do you'll think of 38.5 OTD for a 2011 4WD LTD with the std options .. tow prep, mats, exhaust tip
  • finz2leftfinz2left Member Posts: 1
    2011 4cyl SE tow prep and carpet mats only. $29,500 plus $500 dealer prep fees and ttl. Is this a decent price or am I get taken for a ride?

This was the best email offer. I don't know if I can still negotiate, or request financing deals or negotiate a trade-in.

I can get a Mazda cx9 for much lower and 0%financing, but I'm really a Toyota driver and keep my cars for 8 to 10 years.
    I currently have two different offers on the plate and wanted some input.

2011 Highlander Limited AWD, Navigation, Tow Prep, and floor mats

I can get a Blizzard White for 35,500 or a silver one for 36,000.00
    I prefer the Silver but I'm not sure for 500 dollars more. The odd thing is that even though the white is an extra-cost option, the silver stickers for more (higher sticker price - 41,838 v. 41568).

What choice would you pick?

Thanks!
    edited July 2011
    Those are both great deals, guessing you're in the VA area? My .02 is it comes down to personal preference, and if I were in your shoes I'd go with pearl white.

But if you're in it for the long haul, go with your preference

Lastly, how did you go about getting those deals? I'm looking at the same exact config
    Under $36K for a limited w/ NAV (I assume this includes the $1000 cash back) is really good. Can you please share details of the dealership. I am looking for exactly the same config (I am looking for a white one too!)
  • upstream123upstream123 Member Posts: 1
    i am looking at the same car without nav for that price. where are you buying your vehicle? that sounds like a great price.
  • tricorntricorn Member Posts: 2
    Sorry, just saw your question - I use Toyota finance, 3.99%.
    edited July 2011
    I was able to get one dealer below the ZAG/USAA price of 35,600 and the other was pricing at ZAG. Unfortunately, I am purchasing the car in the Southeast, so SET adds the stupid Toyogard package to the price.

The best interest rate I've found and obtained was through Navy Federal. 1.99 for 60 months.
  • lsyylsyy Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2011
    Thanks for all the valuable information at this forum.

In the market for a highlander LTD AWD w/Nav. After visiting several dealerships in NY/NJ, the best I got is $37600 (included the $1000 incentive) + TTL. Given the current inventory, should I expect something better (like 2~3% lower) than this?

I would definitely pull the trigger before November.

BTW, we drove to Millenium Toyota at LI today since several posts in the past mentioned it. It turns out their offer is not even close to the one above.
    I just acquired my Highlander this past weekend. I purchased the Toyota in Atlanta. The cheaper white was at Atlanta Toyota in Duluth, and the silver which I ultimately purchased was at Toyota South in Morrow, GA.
  • jenx56jenx56 Member Posts: 1
    Paid $34,800 OTD for a 2011 SE Highlander V6 AWD (near Portland, OR, factory sticker $37,122), shoreline blue with tow prep, tow hitch (factory-installed), mats, cross bars and mud flaps. Got the five-year 0% loan, plus a 20-year, 200K powertrain warranty. The powertrain warranty was thrown in by the local dealer; it's issued by Fidelity Warranty Services, which doesn't have great reviews, but, hey, it was free). We didn't want the Limited, as we didn't have a taste for the wood grain interior.
  • leaserookieleaserookie Member Posts: 3
    I am not a sophisticated buyer, so don't know if this is a dumb question...

Looking for best gas mileage and test-drove a 4cyl 2wd in Atlanta today; wife wants/needs nav package and we have two toddlers so we want/need leather...offered total cash price of $37,000 (would be $36,000 but we are going to finance). Enviro $789, Nav $2075, Leather $1800, their offered price of $28,335, plus "service fee" of $600.

I assume the nav and leather is not negotiable, so is the "offered price" of $28,335 for a 4cyl 2WD 2011 Highlander fair? I don't mind them making a living but I don't want them to clean up on me and dealer incentives, etc. and I assume they're doing OK on the options.
  • jsctjsct Member Posts: 10
    Got a great deal, and a pleasant experience overall, at Sunrise Toyota in Long Island. Best experience I have ever had getting full disclosure on all components of the price up front by email. And I never even had to pick up the phone.

We bought a 2011 Highlander Limited with no Nav w/ an MSRP of 39,121. Their offer: $34,870 +DMV (NO doc/admin fees). That is $3311 off of MSRP from the dealer plus $1000 cash back from Toyota.

Their quote on the same car with nav (MSRP $41,449) was $36,864.

I did not bother to obtain invoice. Because each in-stock vehicle is equipped with some small difference in options, I found it easiest to just look for the discount off of MSRP when comparing offers.

I started the process by getting a very low quote on the vehicle from a couple of TrueCar.com dealers in MA and RI, but they both lacked inventory, and we would have had to wait for the car (and drive). We emailed dealers all over southern NY, northern NJ, CT and parts of Massachusetts. We provided the truecar quote, and stated that we wanted to buy before month end, and asked for best offers (one shot, because I didn't want to spend all day on the phone back/forth with dealers). I've had the best luck w/ pricing from big dealers in large metro areas.

Last year, on a different car, we got our lowest quote from Boch in MA. In our experience, they are usually a great discounter, but not for this vehicle right now...

Sunrise came at about $200 more than the Truecar dealers, and over $1000 less than any other dealers quote.

Hope this helps someone.
  • vjrh21vjrh21 Member Posts: 3
    I am looking to buy a Highlander and live in Atlanta. How was your buying experience at Atlanta Toyota and Toyota South. Did you get a good deal?
    They were both equally fine. I live in Gwinnett so Atlanta Toyota was more convenient for me, however, Toyota South was able to get the color I wanted which happened to be located at Sandy Springs Toyota.

Atlanta Toyota did not want to deal on cars that was not in stock. You might have an easier time than I did because I wanted AWD. I also shopped at a Toyota dealership in Kennesaw, MOG, and St. Mtn -- all of them would not match the ZAG price. Only ATL Toyota was willing to beat the ZAG deal.

The ZAG price is very competitive and you can access it through BOA (Toyota Morrow is the lowest price participating dealer). Just google BOA ZAG and there is no requirement of actually being a BOA member.
  • vjrh21vjrh21 Member Posts: 3
    I also live in Gwinnett (Snellville) so I will take a test drive in the area. Either St. Mtn. Toyota or Atlanta Toyota. I will google the Zag info. Thanks for that. Let me ask you. With the Zag price, you weren't able to get the Toyota financing were you?