Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Highlander Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• vjrh21vjrh21 Member Posts: 3
    I researched ZAG through BOA. I'm still not 100% sure how it all works though. How does it work?
  • vaguy79vaguy79 Member Posts: 13
    I didn't bother with trying to get the Toyota financing as I was already had a loan approved through Navy FCU for 1.99 - 60mos. Toyota of Morrow was able to beat that rate at 1.89 for 60mos through Capital One.
  • vaguy79vaguy79 Member Posts: 13
    Pick the type of car and options you want and it should give you a price. Then you get a pricing certificate. Dealers will start calling and harassing you to come into the dealer.

I didn't use ZAG at Atlanta Toyota as they don't participate. I just showed them the deal I was able to get at Toyota Morrow and they beat it. I was also able to negotiate a little more off of the Zag price even though the dealer act like they were losing money.
  • schmeinyschmeiny Member Posts: 5
    Finally pulled the trigger on a limited 4wd w/ nav, mats, crossbars,tow and paint protectant for 37,500, with 0% financing. Used the truecar price and emailed every dealer in the sf bay area. In the end only had 2 that would match, worked with Toyota of Vacaville to bring it to $1000 below invoice with 0%. Love it so far, and feels like we got a great deal considering how popular the highlander is in the bay area.
  • bonvoleurbonvoleur Member Posts: 8
    I was offered $34,128+tax&doc.fee for highlander2011SE,AWD w/navigation .Is this good deal? Should I go for it or is there better price? Please let me know your thought.
  • hilandsfanhilandsfan Member Posts: 1
    I got in 38253 HL 2011 4wd Limited.
    However I was told that some dealers sell at lower price if the car is sitting on the lot for good long amount of time i.e. they could be mfgd in 2010. Thats why i checked the VIN series before buying and though it sound on slightly higher side than those other deals I feel its a better buy, since I was more than impatient to take it home.. :)
    Overall so far pleased with HL, its my first SUV (upgrade from CAR to SUV), the power and feel and ease of handling is awesome...
  • kaizenfury7kaizenfury7 Member Posts: 2
    Just closed the deal on a 2011 Highlander SE v4 at Longo in El Monte.

Sandy Beach exterior
    Black interior

Cargo Net
    Carpet Floor/Cargo Mat Set w/3rd Row Mat
    Cross Bar

$33,548 MSRP (though TrueCar and Edmunds listed the MSRP at $34,908)

Got it for:
    $31,500 (not including tax, lic + reg, etc)
    $34,658 (after tax, lic + reg, etc)
    1.9% APR for 60 months (so no $1000 cash back)
    ~$519/mo

According to USnews/TrueCar, I got it at a 'great price':
    http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Toyota_Highlander/2011/prices/T- oyota-FWD-4dr-L4-SE-%28Natl%29-327113/

Hope this helps someone!

BTW, my salesperson was awesome. I told him I didn't want to haggle, as I had just bought a car from Longo the year before and had a bad experience haggling. He told me he'd make it easy for me, and I thought he pretty much carried through on his promise.
  • adam27adam27 Member Posts: 5
    All:

I just received a 2011 Highlander (v6 SE AWD Automatic, tow package, running boards, carpet, cargo net, wheel locks) with MSRP of $37,424 for $32,424 before taxes and doc fees. What do you all think of this price? What should be a reasonable doc fee? I'd like to make a decision by tomorrow. Please give me your comments. Thanks.
  • ds_nyds_ny Member Posts: 8
    is this with the 1000$ cash back or with the apr offer?
  • veloz21veloz21 Member Posts: 1
    I was offered a Deal at a Toyota dealership in phoenix. It is a base model crimson in color with carpet/cargo mat and cold weather package for $25,998 this includes the rebate(doc,title,reg not included). Is this a good deal?
  • coolvarmacoolvarma Member Posts: 1
    thats a vgood price i think
  • jmcgaheyjmcgahey Member Posts: 3
    Just bought a 2012 Highlander limited AWD, white with black interior- NAV-floor mats- crossbars- tow-VIP glass break sensor and a IOU to install remote start when the kit becomes available-39,045 (no taxes, doc fee etc) that is invoice------i looked on Edmunds & got phone numbers of dealers, I find that the quotes you get when you send request on the internet are higher than when you actually speak to someone--I spoke to a dealer in INDY who offered at $100.00 over invoice------the dealer in Memphis said $300.00 over, I left----they called me and sold it to me at invoice---and yes it is a 2012 with a full tank of gas----------that is a sweet deal- so far it's great, love the stereo, getting used to the NAV as I don't read manuals unless I'm in a real bind---
  • hondaowner56hondaowner56 Member Posts: 8
    how many months?
  • zoom08zoom08 Member Posts: 75
    I live in Nassau / LI

i am also lookiing for same car limited with no navigation.
    I do want leather, full power options and AWD.
    I drive a lot, currently have a honda CRV that I am trading.
    any ideas on how to approach this purchase.
  • mitchlermitchler Member Posts: 2
    Purchased at team toyota in west atlanta, msrp was 31100, paid 27300 for a silver 4cyl with tech and tow package. Got a quote via email and negotiated my trade over the phone, was quite easy to work with and got a better price than i could get in alabama. Purchased a 5 year 125000 zero deductible warranty from jerry johnson at midwest car superstore, if you want a warranty call him the dealer will not be able to match. Also when it comes to financing make sure you have a low quote from a credit union and use that to get a lower rate from the dealer. They are worth checking out if you are in georgia, talk to stinson smith.
  • psgame2kpsgame2k Member Posts: 36
    How much did you pay for the extra 5 year warranty?
  • iamlpcpiamlpcp Member Posts: 1
    I got the following price quotes for 2012 Highlander SE (AWD ,V6) in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
    Quote 1 : $34,513 (Options - Color upgrade , Towpackage & cargo mat)
    Quote 2 : $35,000 (Options - Color upgrade , Towpackage, cargo mat & Tow hitch)

I feel these are well above invoice and can someone suggest a best offer for these? When I looked at NADAGuides, it is showing the base invoice as $30,905 (Without destination fee), but in Edmunds.com, it is showing $32,229. Which one is correct?

I gave an offer of $33,500 for the second one and they rejected and didn't give any counter offer.

Any suggestion or comment is appreciated. What is best offer for these?
  • akusafakusaf Member Posts: 1
    Just bought today... here are my numbers- thanks to all prior posts that helped with the deal

2011 Limited/Nav with tow prep, wheel locks, mud flaps
    Zero percent financing-- $37200-- then got $500 military rebate so final price- $36700

Live in Northern VA-- so probably the best deal. Document fees are high at $500-- in MD- could get the same car for $37450 with crosshairs ($200 doc fee)- wasn't worth the hassle for me.
  • mitchlermitchler Member Posts: 2
    $734
  • deepo11deepo11 Member Posts: 7
    I know the answer is probably know, but I figure I would ask the questions anyways. Just bought Highlander two weeks ago and took advantage of the 0% financing for 3 years. Just recently saw that this month's incentives include the 0% for 5 years. If I went back to dealership, would they honor the new incentive? Like I said, I know the answer is prob no, but doesnt hurt to ask.
  • mj95mj95 Member Posts: 2
    I am in Florida. I bought it last night. Purchase price: $37,510. I used Zag, aka Truecar, to set the price. The Zag price also included floor mats, running boards, cross bars, tow package, tow hitch, and exhaust tip. I added 50 state factory tint and Toyoguard Elite when I talked to the dealer, as I could not select them through Zag. They did not increase my price.

It looks like the Zag price is now higher than the Truecar price, and both are lower than what I paid, so if you are looking for a no haggle low price make sure you try both Truecar and Zag.
  • mj95mj95 Member Posts: 2
    when I purchased last night, 0% was only available for 36 months. 48 months was 1.9%. 60 months was 2.9%.
  • overeatovereat Member Posts: 7
    Got a 2011 FWD Lmd with Navi. for 35800 plus tax & tag and 200 processing fee. Quarlified for the 60 month 0%.
    After 2 days, signed up on the Toyota Owner web site, found out, there was a hail damage to the car. But the dealer didn't disclose to us when we test driving the car or signing the papers. Called the Toyota Customer Service, and they direct my compaint to the dealer ship. The dealer ship kind of saying, all their car had the hail damages, so they had disclose that to all the customers. Which I have no knowledge about until I sign up to the Toyota owner's web site, and the dealer claims I should have sign the papers, which they are trying to locate it. Really odd, since if I really got the disclosure information, then I would ask to check on the repair to make sure the car is really got FIXED. However, they are just trying to tell me, they told us the information, and we sign the paper and happy with it. Was feeling very happy with getting the new car, but now, it feels really bad... :(
  • luckysevenluckyseven Member Posts: 134
    Ask you dealer to show a copy of a signed acknowledgment. Can you see any damage on the car?
    I did ask for that, and they said they will be able to get them today. There are still some small dents after I examed it closely.

I will include the dealership if things didn't get resolved properly, so everyone can avoid the same problem that I had.
  • luckysevenluckyseven Member Posts: 134
    edited September 2011
    If they can't produce signed by you document accepting hail damage then ask them to replace the car with undamaged one or reimburse you for the damage. You can always take them to small claims court. This is highly unusual that dealership tried to conceal this type of a damage on a new car.
    edited September 2011
    Thanks luckyseven for all your advices.

They did try to correct the problem by getting someone to fix those hail damages, so there was a record showing on Toyota Owner's web site when I enter the VIN#. However, no one told us about it, and assuming we should understand we had the hail storm, so I will be expecting they leave a NEW car in the open space to get those damages and selling it to me like nothing had happend...

They just called me and said they could NOT find that document in my folder. And they just keep saying, it should be in my folder, and there might be something happend during the exchanging hands when processing of my documents. They offered me a free tank of gas to go back to the dealership to SIGN the document... Very professional way of handling my case! I just tried to call the consumer hotline of the state, but they closed today, so I will try to call them tomorrow to see what kind of steps that I can take at this stage...
  • jc888jc888 Member Posts: 1
    I just got an offer from a dealer last night, $38149 +TTL, $500 above invoice. 2.9 APR for 60 months. Sounds little pricey.
  • zoom08zoom08 Member Posts: 75
    I went along to Lee's toyota for the cost co car buying program in queens ny.
    the cost co buying program only provided special 2.9 finance.
    there was no price difference on the car, I got a better deal at another dealer w/o the cost co car buying program
  • donvpdonvp Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone bought one, and what you paid. Can you post the price you paid pre-tax or OTD and list the options. I am in the market for one and just wonder what everyone is paying.
    Thanks in advance
  • talleyhoootalleyhooo Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2012 Highlander Limited 4WD w/ Nav, Audio Upgrade and Tow Prep for invoice in the midwest. I was also able to get 1.9% financing (60 months) despite them only advertising 2.9%.

Best of luck to you all!!
  • packerbacker12packerbacker12 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2011
    :)
    Well thank goodness we finally finished the car buying process after much deliberation. We came somewhat close to choosing the Mazda CX-9.

Anyway the 2012 Highlander won us over on many levels. The deal-breaker might have been the inclusion of the Tech (and Cold-weather) Package with the 2012 Base Highlander. Not an option on the 2011 Base. We also had a 1999 Sienna for 12 years, so that probably factored in too.

We did not finance and got the e-price of $31,275.00. The e-price from our dealer made the buying experience pain-free! We even got a bit fancy and chose the Cypress Pearl color. They would have much preferred us to choose one of the many grey, silver, black or white models.

We found the edmunds.com very helpful in the process. Hope the rest of you still in the process find this posting helpful. Good luck!
    :)
  • chibenchiben Member Posts: 1
    I am in the market for a 2012 Highlander 4WD Limited with Nav. In trying to negotiate, I am trying to figure out what actual dealer cost is. Anyone out there who can help me? Any and all responses are appreciated. Thanks.
  • eh270eh270 Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2011
    2012 Highlander V6 4WD (new)
    Dark red / tan interior
    + Tow package
    + Remote starter
    + Floor mats

$34900 before taxes and fees. We had negotiated $34000 on a very similar vehicle the dealer had on the lot but we hated the color (gold/tan), so we paid a premium to have the car brought from another dealer further away.
  • donnaz1donnaz1 Member Posts: 8
    I want a Highlander 2WD V6 SE before thanksgiving. I have received many offers via email of 1400 less than invoice (3500 under MSRP). Is this a great deal now, or should I wait until November and see if it is better. My problem is that I do not know if it will go up in November (I will have to buy in the beginning of the month).
  • eh270eh270 Member Posts: 2
    I don't know how much truth there is to this, but the dealer we were negotiating with said that the interest rates on financing will typically go up in late fall and winter. Right now they are 2.90%.
    I am not financing, so the percentages do not matter. If the financing deals are going to disappear, then maybe they will be more desperate to sell. I just wish I knew what the "secret" deals from manufacturer (or distributor) to dealer were.
  • motoyotamotoyota Member Posts: 1
    I am an internet manager at a Toyota dealership in Texas. I can tell you that 1400 below invoice is a great deal. Good Job!!!!
  • mws3mws3 Member Posts: 3
    Would you mind sharing your geographic area and the final details of your deal (when completed). I am interested in the OTD cost (inclusive of all fees) and any details on options.
  • vnedmundsvnedmunds Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2011
    I got a quote $35706 Plus 1000 rebate or 0% in 36 or 1.9 for more than 36 months

for a

Display 2011 Highlander Limited AWD
    Mileague: 11000
    Never been registered
    Options:
    Voice activated touch-screen DVD
    JBL AM/FM
    V6 Towing Prep Package
    Preferred Accessory Package
    Paint Protection Film
    tow Hitch with Wiring Harness
    VIP - Glass Breakage Sensor

It already has 11K on it and 1 year depreciation, is it a good price?

Thank you for your inputs.
    I am not sure if that is the best deal they can offer. It depends on the state you are in. I am in North Carolina, and I find the best rates in South Carolina. I did a search for my area on a 2011 new 4WD V6 Limited (no options added), and I can get a dealer here to give me at least 33,209. That price would probably be negotiated further if I tried. The things that really bring up your price are the DVD and Tow hitch. I figure those bring it up about 1000 to 2000 more. Since it is pretty much used (11,000 miles), then I would still think they should go below 33,000. Make sure you get a Carfax or similar report for accident history. I would be careful since it is probably one that they used for the dealership with many people driving it. You have no idea how they treated the vehicle since it is not their own. If it was me, I would see how much all the extras are worth. If it is something you love, it may not be there next week.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter seeks to interview California residents who are currently considering purchasing a new vehicle, or who recently bought one. Please email pr@edmunds.com by Friday, October 14, 2011 and indicate your city of residence, your daytime phone number, the vehicle of interest and the car model you currently drive.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• vnedmundsvnedmunds Member Posts: 4
    Looks like I'm looking at a potential problem if I bite their offer. Thank you very much.
  • gms111gms111 Member Posts: 3
    Thinking about closing on this deal. Got quoted $32,510 for a 2012 FWD Highlander Basic V6, with technology package, leather seats, cross bars, and aluminum boards. The price is $500 under invoice price. Wanted to know general feedback. This dealer is the only one who has offered to negotiate on invoice price. Location is Houston, TX !
  • sista2sista2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a quote for 2012 V6 Base with the Tech pkg, Tow pkg, leather seats for $33,877.00. I will keep shopping. I think this is too much. Any feedback? Louisiana.
  • bigljbbigljb Member Posts: 1
    that's a good deal got mine for about the same price
  • sudkumsudkum Member Posts: 2
    We fell in Love with 2012 Highlander Limited and so decided we need to go for the same...however not sure if the deal that we are getting is good.

It is coming to OTD for $43k with all options...is it a Good price?

Model Name: 2012 Highlander 4WD 4dr V6 Limited Model 6956
    Exterior Color: Magnetic Gray Metallic
    Interior Color: Black Leather Seat trim

Accessories Included are...

Factory Installed Accessories: FE EY NV TO
    Port Installed Accessories ..: 3T WL RB CT

The price $43K is OTD ...is this a good price for CA? Pls let me know. I do not know however if the price is below or above invoice for this model.

Cheers,
    Sud
  • lexus_envylexus_envy Member Posts: 6
    I'm not sure what all those accessories are, but I recently purchased a limited with nav and DVD for a little over $38k. Go to truecar.com and build your vehicle. Then you can request a quote and they will tell you which dealerships closest to you will honor which price. Print That out and bring it to the dealership and they should honor the price. The sticker on my car was $43k and I got it for the exact price that true car.com quoted with no negotiating. Sounds too good to be true, but it wasn't! Good luck!
    edited October 2011
    I also used other addresses for my truecar.com search that were within 200 miles. I live in NC, and I had a dealer in SC give me a deal that was about 1400 less than invoice on my SE model for a 2012. The local dealers off of truecar.com were only going 500 less than invoice. Since they knew I could drive to the other dealer in SC, they matched that price. Just FYI.
    I still got the deal when I got them to snag one that recently made it to port, and I was able to get exact colors I wanted and accessories. Also, the accessories are jacked up about 30 percent on sticker tag as to what the dealer paid. I do not believe in paying extra for things that you do not want on your vehicle. You can do your own searches on most of the toyota distributors pages to see what will be available in the next few months on the exact models and features. I am in the southeast toyota region, so yours may vary.

My cost for a Toyota Highlander 2012 SE V6 2WD with Floor Mats and Toyota Guard was 31944 before my state taxes, tag, etc.
  • wnyc1207wnyc1207 Member Posts: 1
    2012 highlander 4 wd limited w/ nav with msrp for 41.3k and the invoice is around 36k. i add a remote starter and runding board, so it comes up 42.5k. i got a quote from the dealer in tx for 40k+ttl. does anyone know what's going to be the appropriate price for this vehicle. thanks so much