Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Highlander Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• denver12denver12 Member Posts: 1
    Walk away or negotiate hard. GO dealerships in Denver, offered 37,900 for a 2012 Limited with NAV. That was a 2012 with 3 yrs/36,000 miles warranty and 2 years of free oil changes and tire rotations. I thought they could do a bit better.

then they added on windshield protection, theft id, taxes, titles, license + $500 profit. This part irked me so we walked.
  • mrminsky1mrminsky1 Member Posts: 23
    edited February 2012
    I purchased a Brand New BASE 2WD V6 Pearl White with V6 the Following package

Special Color $220
    v6 Tow Pre pack $220
    Tech Package $1835
    Carpet Mats $399
    MSRP $32949 Plus the $1500 Toyota aftermarket Leather ($34,449)
    I could have taken an addtional $750 dealer cash, but I choose the 60 month 1.9% percent currently being offered by Toyota
    Total came to $30309.81 plus 7% Taxes

I went in with a negotiated price of $29600 with everything included , but as I said I took the 1.9% intestead rather than the 3.9% offered by the Credit Representative. I priced the lease for this vehicle as well based on a $1000 total out of pocket including first payment and the payment would have been $391 including taxes for 15k miles a year and 39 months...

I considered the SE version as well, but I did not want to pay the extra $2000 for the sunfoof, heated seats , and home link..... Once leather is added is basically the same vehicle as the Se

I priced the vehicle via 4 dealerships in the area and I could not be happier with my decision. The dealer was a pleasure to work with. No bait and switch......I came out of a CX-9 Lease and indeed a different experience. The Highlander drives more like an RX350. Soft and luxurious. I loved the CX-9 and I would have gotten another one in heartbeat. But since this is for the Mrs, she wanted something different......
  • nosdivadnosdivad Member Posts: 14
    i plan to buy in two weeks. i only ask for OTD.
    Price so far is $41,700 in MI.
    quote in MI without running boards, but with nav,mud guard,wheel locks,side molding,paint protection,exhaust tip,cargo net, $41,800 OTD.
    I don,t know if this is a good price
  • teebone413teebone413 Member Posts: 3
    that beats my price is LA by 800. dont know what your tax rate is there... but if it's the EXACT car you want... id do it.

im not one of those guys who has to get the lowest.... as long as i get what i want and the service is great. im satisfied with what i paid.
    I am planning to buy a 2012 4 wheel drive limited in next two weeks with the following options:
    1. voice activated touch screen nav.
    2. body side molding
    3. wheel locks
    4. cargo net spider
    5. exhaust tip
    6. mud guards
    7. paint protection
    8. carpet floors mat
    9. VIP glass breakage sensor
    10. hood protector
    What would be a fair price OTD. Plates will be transferred from present sedan We have 6% sales tax in Michigan.
    Which of the above options should i consider rethinking?
    Early responses will be appreciated
  • petesompetesom Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to close a deal by this weekend on a Highlander V6 SE 2WD with Tech package in Dallas area. After negotiating with 3 dealers, the lowest quote I have is 31,500 + TTL. Looking at this board I see people are getting similar vehicle with AWD as low as 31K. I am trying to get 31,000 + TTL. Will keep you posted. By the way the best quote I had for a Highlander V6 Limited 2WD was 34K + TTL.

Regards
    Pete
  • srinivasksrinivask Member Posts: 2
    Hi mrminsky1,
    I am also looking at exact model. Where are you located and which dealer you purchased. Thanks for sharing the info.
    Sri
  • mrminsky1mrminsky1 Member Posts: 23
    I purchased my car in the Atlanta area... I had sent a few emails to a few dealerships and some of the quotes were very aggresive and some were not. It is interesting how the dealership ended up doing the deal. Nowhere on my purchase contract , the leather is included. In other words, They assigned an "I owe you" form for the Toyota Aftermarket leather. I wonder how the dealership is doing this. Perhaps by doing it like this , they can show a profit for the car while accounting for the aftermarket leather through other ways.......... I am schedule for the install next week.. My experience with the aftermarket leathers ahve always been better quality wise.

I saved a little over $2000 over the similar SE. having said that, if Homelink , Heated Seats, and a sunroof are important to you, then the SE is the model to buy..... None of those things are important to me... Other than that it is the same car after the leather is installed.

I purchased the car intead of leasing it... the deal was too good to pass especially with the low 1.9% 60 months. I was driving a leased CX-9 for three years. Very different cars indeed. I liked it a lot, but my wife wanted something different.
  • vulchesvulches Member Posts: 17
    mrminsky1, could you e-mail me with the name of the dealership and salesperson you worked with? I'd like the exact same deal if possible. My e-mail is my edmunds username @ gmail.com. Thanks in advance!
  • honghai66honghai66 Member Posts: 6
    Model code: 6946, MSRP $29395, plus optional: Carpet, cargo net, V6 Tow prep Package (subtotal $400), plus $810 delivery charge, total MSRP come up to $30736, Invoice come up to $28048. Dealer offer: $27830 +TTL, that's $2906 below MSRP, $218 below Invoice. Is this price good enough? I think I should get the price at least $500 below invoice.
    Thanks for your input.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    A reporter is looking to speak with someone who bought a new Honda or Toyota within the last two months. Specifically, he’s most interested in speaking with someone who intentionally held off on buying one of these vehicles last year because the dealer did not have it in stock. If you meet this criteria, please send a brief description of your experience and your contact info to pr@edmunds.com by no later than Wednesday, February 29, 2012.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• srinivasksrinivask Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for sharing the info. I got an offer OTD 33350 with v6 + leather + tow + tech. ( No carper, no special color).
  • shahaishahai Member Posts: 4
    Is this a good deal for a 2012 Highlander AWD?

MSRP = $41073 (approx.)

$34600 + Delivery + Tax + Title.

1.9% financing for 60 months.

Black exterior, black leather interior, heated seats, Navigation, Tow Package, Floor Mats, Cargo Area Mat, Cross bars.
  • thambikuttythambikutty Member Posts: 1
    Which dealerships quoted the $31.5K price on the SE?
  • gf2020gf2020 Member Posts: 49
    That is a ridiculously good price. Almost too good to believe, quite frankly. $6473 off the sticker is almost a 16% discount. What dealer is quoting that price?
  • shahaishahai Member Posts: 4
    Exact MSRP = $40875.

PLEASE NOTE: Cross bars, Cargo area Mat, and regular mat set are not included in above MSRP.

Paid $34,600 + $200 (accessories) + destination + Tax + Title + Tags.

1.9 % for 60 months.

Basically, I believe this AWD highlander has ALL options exception the kids overhead DVD. Had only 12 miles on it when purchased.

This is not a quote...This is ACTUALLY what I PAID on Presidents Day in the North Virginia area. I didn't really negotiate that much...just walked in at 4pm Monday and told them that I wanted to pay $34,600. After some time passed and thinking on their part...they agreed:)

btw...the dealership was packed with shoppers that evening. I was really surprised to see so many people there.
  • hunter06hunter06 Member Posts: 16
    edited March 2012
    I saw the breakup on the invoice for the SE 4WD V6.

Interestingly, THe invoice mentions after the final pricing is that
    " the Total Amounts included above are:
    Dealer Holdack 713.
    Whsl. Financial Reserve: 357.

But the invoice had destination charge(810), TDA(500) and Gasoline (12.76)
    Could not figure if TDA could be negotiated(not paying that amount).

I am sure they will reduce the TDA(Toyota Dealer Advertising) cost while negotiating the price. I know they tend to stick with the Destination charge.
  • gf2020gf2020 Member Posts: 49
    Picked up our new 2012 Highlander Limited this afternoon from http://www.actontoyota.com/index.htm in Littleton, MA.

MSRP on the Highlander Limited was $38,917, the Edmunds invoice price was $35,519. We negotiated a price of $35,000 and then received a $500 rebate, making the final sales price $34,500. We also negotiated a $9000 trade-in value (saving almost $600 in sales tax) for our 2006 Mercury Mountaineer with 80,000 miles, leaving a net difference of $25,500 before tax and title. All in all, we are pretty happy with the deal and expect to be very happy with the Highlander for many years to come.

This is the second Toyota in 24 months (I bought a 2010 Tundra in March 2010) that I have purchased from Acton and they are great to deal with.
    picked up 2012 awd highlander limited IN COLOR we wanted, in southeast michigan with following:
    navs touch screen
    paint protection
    body molding
    mudguards
    exhaust tip
    wheel locks
    carpets
    GAP insurance { $500]
    8 year/75,000 mile toyota extended warranty[$1,475]
    1.9% toyota financing.
    $43,000 OTD
  • k2chadk2chad Member Posts: 18
    I just picked up a 2012 Highlander SE in ME. Dealers in MA, NH, and ME were all willing to go $1900 under invoice using the March special of $750 customer cash, or $1150 under while taking advantage of 0% financing for 60 months. A little better than the $500/1.9% February deals, so I bit. Lots of inventory up here to choose from. I got a white SE 4wd:
    special paint color (blizzard white)
    AW mats
    mudguards
    tow prep
    wheel locks
    cross bars
    side moldings
    MSRP (includes $810 destination): $37, 553
    Invoice: $34,602
    I paid: $33,452 (state taxes not inclusive, nor title fee), 0% financing for 60 months.

Since holdback is $709, there is an additional $441 that they are pretty eager to part with so I'd say there must be around $500 manufacturer to dealer cash in there to play with on top of the holdback.

I probably could have ground out another $150 by waiting until the end of the month, but ME dealers are limited and I'd have to pay the $30 inspection fee (mine came with the sticker) and more hassle by buying out of state. All in all I'm quite pleased.
  • wumarshall82wumarshall82 Member Posts: 3
    Just purchased a 2012 Limited without NAV. Going to put in a aftermarket dvd/nav unit and tv's in the headrest. Toyota is very proud of their NAV head unit from the factory ($3000).

Listed at $38,168 and my OTD price was $34,900. They also paid off the $21,700 balance on my 2009 Highlander SE. I feel good about the deal.
  • cbk125cbk125 Member Posts: 9
    I am looking at leasing 36 months, 12K/year, 0 Due. Dealer quoting $415/month tax incl. Can anyone comment if this is a good deal?
    Thanks.
  • wumarshall82wumarshall82 Member Posts: 3
    I wouldnt pay 36k for a SE.
    The MSRP=$36,742
    Sell price is $33,500
  • orangeman99orangeman99 Member Posts: 88
    edited March 2012
    I just brought home my new SE V6. So far it's AWESOME!!! I also returned my 2009 RAV4 at lease end, a week early (lease end was 4/2/12). There was no equity in that car since I had an accident, so I couldn't turn it in early. I leased a Gray/Black Highlander with Tow Prep, Floor Mats, and Wheel locks (MSRP $36,823). I also added GAP waiver. But they didn't have in stock with black interior, so he had to find one.

He found my color but it had remote starter instead of wheel locks (MSRP $37,271). He gave me that one with not a penny more than the agreed upon price. An extra $448 in options free.

My numbers:

Tier 1+ credit
    36mo/12k lease
    $403 + $5 GAP = $408/mo
    Down: first month + DMV (transfer)=$533

On my lease agreement, the selling price is listed as $35,104, but they gave me a trade-in value of $1563 for my returned car (not sure why???), so my effective selling price was 33,541 (MSRP $37,271)

I leased from Star Toyota in Bayside (Queens), NY. My salesman was Anthony Cruz, he's a straight shooter and always stayed in touch, something I found lacking in most sales guys.
  • hxz119hxz119 Member Posts: 2
    Just picked up my new highlander in MD. The dealers around me could not match their price...

2012 Highlander Limited 4WD 3.5L $34,250 + TTL

Installed Options:

1. JBL® AM/FM 6-disc CD changer with MP3/WMA playback capability, nine
    speakers including subwoofer, SiriusXM Satellite Radio [1] (includes 90-day
    trial subscription to XM Select Package), auxiliary audio jack, USB [2] port
    with iPod® [3] connectivity, auto sound leveling, hands-free phone
    capability and music streaming via Bluetooth® [4] wireless technology.

2. V6 Towing Prep Package [14] -- includes 5000-lb. towing capacity, heavy-
    duty radiator with engine oil cooler, 200-watt fan coupling and supplemental
    transmission oil cooler

3. 3T Cross Bars (PIO) - Removable roof rails

4. CT Carpet Floor Mats/Cargo Mat/3rd Row Mat (PIO) - Carpet floor mats;
    Excludes: [CF] Carpet Floor/Cargo Mat Set (5 or 6-piece) (PIO)
    Hello:
    What is MSRP of this car?
    Did you buy or lease?
    You got in MD but what state are you from?
    Thanks.
  • kanatakowboykanatakowboy Member Posts: 1
    Great deal. Could I ask which dealership in MD you dealt with?
  • hxz119hxz119 Member Posts: 2
    Fitzgerald Automall in Gaithersburg. Ask for Neil Xing...
  • spongerrichspongerrich Member Posts: 1
    Hi is this a good deal? Was at the dealer late last night, and left telling them I had to sleep on it.

2012 Highlander SE V6 FWD 5-speed auto

Blizzard Pearl white paint
    Black leather interior
    Tow Package
    Carpet floor and cargo mats
    Cargo cross bar

MSRP $35741

Got them down to $32900 = discount of $2841
    Edmunds lists invoice of $32563
    Is that a good deal?

I see people on here pay about $1000 less than invoice??? Think there is still room to come down on my deal?
  • immuhguy10immuhguy10 Member Posts: 1
    I live in WA state. Been wanting to buy just a base 4x4 highlander with the tech package. Really feel I have not been getting a good deal by talking to dealers. Was curious what everyones thought was in regards to the Costco or USAA pricing? For me, before tax, these services both are right around $30,500 before tax and licensing which is almost $3000 below MSRP. I have researched and seen the invoice amounts as well. When talking to the dealers this is the price they basically offered WITHOUT the tech package. Just can't justify spending $33,000 out the door and only getting the base base model with nothing extra.

Just curious on thoughts of the USAA or costco services though. Thanks.
  • kbd9kbd9 Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone,

I am in the Charlotte, NC area and just had a dealer quote $36000 out the door price for a 2012 Limited Toyota Highlander V6 AWD with JBL AM/FM Package, Tow Package, and Cargo Mats Package. Should I keep looking a little more? Have had dealers that will match it. Is it a good deal?
  • sanah14sanah14 Member Posts: 1
    Did the 2012 Highlander Limited Nav+Ent System come off the lot with running boards? I'm looking to get almost exactly what you bought but can't seem to find it in a dealership's inventory.
  • kmd75kmd75 Member Posts: 1
    Got my highlander Limited 4X4 for $37,749. I am in NJ

Options:
    - Navigation
    - Remote start
    - Tow Prep.
    - Carpet mats.
  • edgetaedgeta Member Posts: 32
    I am looking for a Highlander Limited without Navigation. I notice "wumarshall82" had posted that they had bought one. If wumarshall82 sees this post, can you tell me what part of the country or what state you are in? Or has anyone else bought the Highlander w/o Navigation and where they are from. I am in California and they are telling me that I can't get it that way here.
    Any input would be appreciated.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    A news reporter would like to talk with hybrid car owners in Northern California. If you fit the description, please contact pr@edmunds.com by Wednesday, April 25, 2012.
  • ml823ml823 Member Posts: 1
    How is this deal:

36 month, 12k mile/yr lease
    MSRP: $36742
    Agreed upon value: $35852
    Residual value: $21979
    Down payment: $1200 (inc. first month, reg/title fees, etc)
    Monthly payment: $455
  • orangeman99orangeman99 Member Posts: 88
    How is your credit? This is a bad deal if you have good credit.

Here is my recent lease of the same car (diif't options):

Tier 1+ credit
    36mo/12k lease
    MSRP 37,271
    Monthly: $403 + $5 GAP = $408/mo
    Down payment: first month + DMV (transfer plates)=$533

I leased from Star Toyota in Bayside (Queens), NY. My salesman was Anthony Cruz, he's a straight shooter and always stayed in touch, something I found lacking in most sales guys.
  • tabmantabman Member Posts: 4
    What dealership did you go thru? I am looking for a similar model.
  • cpolisecpolise Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

Live in Chicago area and looking for the 'out the door price (with taxes &fees)' I can pay for the Highlander SE with Navigation.

Appreciate any info on the recent prices paid before I talk to the dealers.

Thanks much !
    Been looking for highlander. Any Toyota dealerships in Dallas area where someone had good experience?
    Try carsdirect.com for pricing, usually pretty good, they will contact the dealership fo ryou and no "issues"... bought 2 cars through them..
    Were you able to find a deal on that one ? Wonder if you want to share your experience.
  • jimmyjames33jimmyjames33 Member Posts: 4
    Looking at blizzard pearl 2012
    With:
    Tech pack
    Cold weather pack
    Aftermarket DVD 1152.00
    Total before tax, title, license is 29100.76

Good deal or keep going?
  • libualibua Member Posts: 2
    Send a message to Elgin Toyota asking for the ePrice (no haggle) price. They are the best deal that I found for Highlander Limited 4wd Nav Rear Ent for less than 38K
  • samkarsamkar Member Posts: 1
    I am planning to buy 2008 or 2009 Highlander Hybrid that has 70000+ mileage.

is it advisable to buy used hybrid cars?

Anything that I need to be aware of ? how does the maintainence work in used cars?
  • heywood1heywood1 Member Posts: 851
    I'm in western PA, and am also looking for a AWD Limited without Navigation. I have also been told by various salespeople that "it's the way Toyota makes them/sends them to us."
    So it's the not-optional option...?
  • hl_buyerhl_buyer Member Posts: 6
    Here is the deal for 2012 highlander SE V6 4x4:

MSRP: 36742 (includes SE pkg, tow prep and carpets)
    Price offered: 33300 (plus ttl and 0% finance)

Is this a good deal? Please advise!

Thanks!
    Well I found out a few things about this... I'll use California for a example (since that's where I am). Toyota makes models specific ways for certain sales regions... so for around me there is the Northern California Region, Southern California Region and then the Pacific Northwest Region (starts at the Oregon border). So in the 2 California regions I can't get/the product, is not shipped the way I want it, to these regions, but then checking and if I wanted to go to Oregon I could go purchase the vehicle that way in that region. So you can check the regions around where you are and call to see if they are available that way. Then decide is it worth the time and travel. I eventually got a SE without Navigation but with other options I wanted, but had to go to the Southern California region.
    Hope it helps