Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Highlander Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    edited May 2012
    If they wanted to go out and find one for you it is possible. It took the Dealership I am buying it from about 3 days to find. I am picking up my 2012 Limited V6 4x4 tomorrow. It has the JBL stereo package, Tow Package, and carpeted floor mat set. No Nav. MSRP $39,187 selling price $35,926 plus a $1000 rebate. Pretty much $500 below invoice and then the rebate. Hard to find in the Columbus, Ohio area. Has 6 miles on the Odometer according to the Dealer. They are driving it from another dealership in Ohio which will put about 100 miles on it. Like the previous poster stated that certain configurations are built for certain geographical areas. I initially wanted Nav but FWD. They looked within 300 miles away, but could not find anything in the two colors my Wife and I wanted which were Magnetic Gray and Cypress Green and couldn't locate anything. Told me FWD in the Limited V6 was very rare for this region. Toyota pretty much ships the 4wd only to this part of the country. Oh well saved me $500 by dropping the Nav and switching to the 4x4. I will probably be thankful if we have a bad winter.
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
  • heywood1heywood1 Member Posts: 851
    edited May 2012
    Sounds like a great deal for your Limited!
    I decided to go with an SE V6 AWD w/ tow prep and mats. There was a good selection in my area equipped this way (MSRP $36,742).
    This is a third vehicle for me-- and the first I have ever leased. The perforated leather/10-way seats on the LTD were more appealing, but ultimately I'm not sure I'm going to keep this car for the long haul, and I wasn't interested in paying to replace 19-inch tires on a leased vehicle.
    The SE fits my needs. Ideally, I wish I could have found one with JBL only. Base stereo sounds only marginally better than Arby's drive-thru.

I think my lease deal was very fair--and very simple:
    MSRP $36,742
    36 mo./15k
    Tier 1
    .00065 money factor
    Residual $21,270
    Nothing up front-- just signed and drove away.
    35 (thirty-five) payments of $462.92 ($416.88+ 37.52 PA tax + 8.52 gap)

I'm sure there's a better deal out there somewhere, but time is money. Squeezing every last drop out of a dealer doesn't thrill me the way it used to. This dealership is close to home and where I service my other Toyotas. Did the deal in 30 minutes, and drove away less than two hours later.
    Very pleased overall.
    edited May 2012
    Since you are taking the 0% (in lieu of $1,000 rebate), I think it is very fair. Make sure your dealer doesn't have ridiculous $500+ doc fee...
    Congrats on your new car. My Dealer sent a driver up to a dealer east of Cleveland yesterday and when the driver got there they had sold the vehicle. Even though they told my dealer that they would do a car flip. Fortunately the Sales Manager found the same optioned vehicle at a Dealership in Canton, Ohio and it is sitting at the Columbus Dealership being prep'd right now. We pick it up late today once my Wife, whom is a nurse, gets off work. Can't wait. What color did you get? We got the Grey Metallic with light Ash leather interior. I am worried about the price of replacing 19" tires. Kind of an odd tire size besides the fact it is larger. At the same time I spent several weeks considering a Ford Edge Limited with 20" Chrome Wheels. Came within a hair of ordering one to get a 2013 the way we wanted it but felt the MYFORDSYNC was going to be too complicated for my Wife and a distraction for either one of us while driving. Plus not enough cargo space. With Grand Kids now we felt we needed something larger than the Sorento we were trading in.
    Glad your dealer could find you another.
    Mine is Cypress with black interior. Cypress was my first color choice.

In addition to cost, my other issue with the 19" tires on the Limited is that there seem to be very few replacement options out there.

My experience with all Toyota OEM tires is that they are quiet, but not long-lasting or well-suited for bad weather. So I always replace them early with something else. Since this vehicle is a lease, I'll probably drive the OEM's until winter, and then install something better. Then I'll re-install the originals closer to turn-in time...
  • tundrav8tundrav8 Member Posts: 1
    Honestly I've had our highlander from
    Aug of last year 2011 and my impression is that Toyota
    Needs to redo this suv on the 3rd gen coming soon. Handling is not very good way too much
    Front over steer going on and I'm told that's normal.
    Don't get wrong I like the highlander but there are a few
    Things Toyota needs to address mainly
    Too much power in the front end that causes the steering
    Wheel to have way too much feedback .

Beyond that I'm happy with the highlander it's a nicely designed
    Suv and Bluetooth and navi is great.
  • edgetaedgeta Member Posts: 32
    On redesign, they need to address the lack of storate spaces / drawers / cubbies in the car. Granted I came from years of a minivan, I am quite amazed of the limited number of reachable storage spaces from the drivers seat.
    At least the OEM Toyota tires are quiet! Biggest thing I notice between my old Honda's and the new Highlander.. the interior is so much quieter..
    Am I missing something, but I just have just bought a Highlander SE. I can control the A/C to be on or off in the back of the Highlander, but can I control the fan speen in the back from the front panel? Or it just left whereever the last person put it in when they sat in the back... I can't imagain that.. but I sure am missing something...
    This is probably a question for another forum, but you are correct:
    From the front panel, there is only on/off to control for HVAC in the rear.
    Fan speed and temp settings remain where the last rear seat passenger left them.
  • ihatevt2ihatevt2 Member Posts: 8
    I went and drove a new highlander tonight and really liked the car. Trying to get an idea of what I can get the car for.

I am looking at a Highlander SE V6 2WD and I want the 0% for 60 months financing.

Anyone think 31500+ttl possible? What have others paid in the Dallas area?

thanks,

Mike
  • hl_buyerhl_buyer Member Posts: 6
    Just bought the new highlander SE V6 AWD, very happy with new highlander.

MSRP 36742, price paid 33300 + ttl and 0% finance.
    edited May 2012
    Use Truecar.com which should give you a pretty good idea. Just keep in mind that they are usually shipped with certain options on them so figure out what the one you looked at had on it then add those. I would then go to the Toyota.com website and request a quote from an internet sales manager and see what you get. They seem to be pretty firm with their quotes. My Limited 4Wd V6 with tow Package, JBL system, Floor mats, and roof rack crossbars had an MSRP of 39,397 and sold it to me for $36,127 minus my trade plus taxes and minus a $1,000 rebate. My OTD with a $21,500 trade was $36,407. The selling price was actually $500 below invoice before rebate.
  • padypady Member Posts: 10
    edited May 2012
    I got offer of 2012 Highlander I4(base model) blizzard white with floor mat, widow tint, pin strip, life time power train warranty for $25900 including destination charge. Total Drive out $28600.
    What do you guy think? Please let me know.
  • thigh00thigh00 Member Posts: 1
    MSRP is 36971, got it for 32K .. OTD the was 35.1K. Good deal? ?
  • tabmantabman Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2012
    I am looking for similar SUV in Dallas area and have been quoted about the same price...............but financing wasn't discussed at that point.
  • anodize1anodize1 Member Posts: 3
    That's a good deal, did you ended up buying the car? Is this a SE V6 AWD?
    Would have to have a detailed list of all the options to know if it was a good deal or not. Did that include the $1K rebate? What engine did you get? Did you check Truecar.com?
    edited May 2012
    Just got 2012 I4 base blizzard white + some minor option like floormats,door edge guard, pinstrips,tint, toyota guard package $699.(I hate this) other options I don't think they have any value except bump the MSRP up (MSRP like $31470)

I paid for around $25750 (include destination) + dealer fee ($599 I hate this too)+ tax (6%)+ tag + license plate + some minor fee. Drive out for this vehicle is $28600 with 0% for 48 months.
    I chose this option. If I paid cash, total drive out is $750 less ($28600-$750= $27850 in Tampa area). Took 7 hours... Really long time, financial guy threw in extra fee. I rejected each time....threat to quit. I think the deal is ok.

The car ride is very smooth and it has a lot of power.

Can anybody recommend a backup camera and place to install with this highlander? Thank in advance.
  • ihatevt2ihatevt2 Member Posts: 8
    Any body gettting a good deal in Dallas on a Highlander SE V6? I went to one delear in Mckinney but they tried to add in over 1K in add fees and real low ball offer on a trade. Which delears do not add 2K worth of options?
  • hokiemandanhokiemandan Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2012
    Hello forum -

I recently bought a brand new 2012 Highlander Limited 4WD w/Nav in the Northern VA area as follows:

Selling price (incl. Memorial Day Bonus Cash of $500): $35,791 + freight $810 = $36,601
    + 3% VA Sales Tax $1124
    + processing fee $389
    + dealer bus license tax $54
    + reg & title fee: $68
    -------------------------------------
    Delivered Price: $38,736 @ 0% APR for 60 mos.

MSRP: $41,203. The options I got were: Navigation, Tow Prep Package, Roof Rack Cross Bars and Mudguards.

I feel like $36,601 for the car was a good deal. They had me choose between $1,000 manufacturer rebate or 0% APR for 60 mos. I chose the APR ;)
  • babu99babu99 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2012
    Dear kmd75,

May I know the name of the dealer you bought the highlander from?
    Also what is out the door price, destination charge and other charges etc?

Thank you
  • sunnygal82sunnygal82 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I recently bought a 2012 Base FWD V6 Highlander with the following packages/extras:

Tech Package
    Cold Weather Package
    Towing Package
    5 Piece Mat Set

MSRP: $32,582
    Negotiated Price: $28,750 (About $1000 below Invoice) + $195 Doc Fee with 0% Financing for 5 years

What do folks think? Could I have gotten a better deal???
    The price was good, I think. 5 years 0% made it a sweet deal.
    My 2012 base I4 blizzard white, with car mats,toyota guard package, sealant... $25750 + 599 doc fee.
    Your is my car + $1000 for V6 + 1600 for tech package = 28300 + for cold package + tow package. Your doc fee is lower than my.
  • doc92doc92 Member Posts: 3
    i'm looking to buy a toyota highlander 2012 limited with Nav. this is a quote i have been given in Central PA. if someone could give input if its good quote , i will appreciate it much.

highlander limited with Nav, tow package, carpet mat/3rd row seating = 37904.

0% APR
    state tax @ 6% = 2306
    tag fee = 222
    remote start = 529

out the door cost = 40961.

thanks.
    First off you don't mention whether it's 4WD or if it has the V6, but assuming it is and it includes the 1000 rebate then it's too high. If that's without the rebate then it's a good deal. I just bought a 2012 Limited 4WD V6 with Tow Pkg, Floor mats, JBL Stereo, and Roof Rack Cross Bars. MSRP was $39,366 selling price was $36,076 then the $1000 rebate. My out the door in Ohio with a 6.75% Sales tax and a $21,500 trade was $36,407. By the way, I don't think you can get the limited V6 without the 3rd row seating. So it's not worth mentioning for a standard feature.
  • doc92doc92 Member Posts: 3
    it is 4WD, V6.

there is no 1000 rebate.

the question is should i haggle. and if so how much ?

thanks
    Go to www.truecar.com it is the most accurate site I have seen for Dealer Invoice. Are you saying that you are not taking the $1000 rebate or there isn't one. The last I saw it ran through tomorrow 6/4/12. For some reason they have quit showing Dealer Hold back on that site. Don't know if it's just Toyota vehicles or all brands. I believe the price I paid before rebate was close to $500 under invoice. I would at least shoot for that.
  • rob_v6rob_v6 Member Posts: 20
    you can get it at 1500 below invoice, walk away if they dont want to give it and go to other dealerships
  • impossible7impossible7 Member Posts: 1
    Been in the market for a new Highlander SE and I've noticed that for about 10% more, I am able to buy new over a 2010 with 8k miles. Considering I am paying cash and plan on keeping the car for 7-10 years, should I even consider buying used? My options as of today...

Used: 2010 SE 4WD w/ 8k miles for $29,000 + ttl
    People are reporting getting the same car 2012 model brand new for $32,000 +ttl

Thanks to everyone for posting their experiences.
    In the real world you are not going to get it $1500 below invoice. Maybe $500 plus a $1000 rebate. Holdback is only like $850 which is $850 below invoice. The Dealer has to make some money. Not going to give them away at a loss. Not sure what alternate reality you are living in.
  • toyguy5toyguy5 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a Highlander SE V6 AWD for 33659
    msrp was 37161 invoice 33862. This is las vegas area, three dealers only 6 AWD left in the city. Looks like a similar deal. I'm happy with it. I think I could of beat on them for 500 or so more.
  • mspsoccermspsoccer Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a Base, V6 4WD with Tech, Cold Weather, Tow Prep, Cross Bars and All Weather mats (plus the standard carpeted mats) for $31,100 + tax in Nebraska. Financed at 0% for 60 months. I believe this to be about ~$900 below invoice. Had quotes from 3 different dealers competing against each other and went with the lowest one that also happened to be the color my wife preferred. Glad when that happens!
    It looks like invoice is about $31,950 so you got a really good deal. Plus you got the 0% financing. Nice job.
  • toyota007toyota007 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2012
    Just bought a V6 SE AWD Highlander with Tow Prep Package, Mats, Cross bars. MSRP was 36971. Paid 32100(including 1k rebate) plus TTL. Hopefully we got a good deal.
    Just glancing at Truecar.com you got an excellent deal!
  • cribbitscribbits Member Posts: 9
    One thing a lot of people are not aware of is that dealer pricing and factory incentives changed dramatically with the advent websites posting the invoice price. Dealerships now make a large percentage of their profit meeting guidelines set by the factory that aren't publicly available. So if a dealer is attempting to meet these guidelines (like a certain number of sales in a certain period) it is most likely they are going to take a larger percentage off of invoice than a dealer who isn't under such constraints.

And before you think that's crazy, I had one dealer instantly agree to what I was asking when I brought that fact up and another dealer acknowledge that reality - both from differeent manufacturers. So when they say "Oh we can't do that, we won't make any money" you can feel comfortable that you're not starving their children.

Best bet: ask for the fleet manager, big discounts mean less to him.
  • jammer0njammer0n Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2012
    Looking at 4wd Limited, with Navigation and Rear Entertainment (9in screen), with Running Boards ($650) and mudguards ($60). Living in CT.

OTD price 43775
    41161 including the vehicle cost configured as listed above, registration fees, miscellaneous fees, etc. Not including the 6.35% tax. I'm not sure what was the dealer invoice cost on this one.

Also, I plan on taking the 0.9% incentive that is currently offered now.

Is this a good quote? or can I do better in this area?
    Looking at prices for my Zip Code in central Ohio. TrueCar shows the invoice at 40,135 and dealer cost at $38,391. I just clicked on the tabs for the options you listed. You didn't get floor mats? If so the full retail for them is $225 I think. Cross rails for the roof rack, special paint, etc.? I'm assuming that you didn't take the available $1000 rebate and instead took the lower interest rate? I also couldn't figure in the fees because they are different from state to state. What was the selling price before taxes, fees, and rebate if any. I think that if the figures I got are correct your deal is on the high side. I'm no expert so hopefully others will weigh in.
  • highlanderfahighlanderfa Member Posts: 2
    I purchased (leased) a 2012 Highlander SE 4cyl this past weekend and wanted to share experience in hopes of helping others in regards to good purchase price and leasing. I seen somebody posted that you can't get much below invoice price which I found not to be true. I started out by looking to buy an absolute base Highlander because that is what was in my budget. It was right before dealer was closing and he started recommending leasing. So the "great deal" he came up with was no money out of my pocket, no first payment, etc and the lease payment was $416 for 36 months, 12k miles, $19,576 residual, .0008 money factor on a 2012 Highlander SE 4cyl with towing package with a MSRP of $34,300. They gave me credit of $4,000 in trade value. Reality was it was $1,000 in equity on an '09 charger and $3,000 (car unseen) which was an '02 Explorer in rough condition I was happy to get out of my driveway. It actually had a trade in value of $1,500 to $2,000. I told them that I had not come to lease and not sure if it is what I wanted to do and didn't know if it was a good deal or not and I needed more time to research and decide. They had me do paperwork but put in writing that I had till over the weekend to decide and I can bring it back if I change my mind. So I did my research and decided I would be comfortable leasing but still didn't know if the deal was good. I went online and requested a price on a 2012 Highlander from another dealer. I was shocked by the price! It was '12 Highlander SE V6 and the details were $36,625 MSRP, $33,762 invoice, a $3,100 Internet discount and Toyota cash taken off the invoice price, tax, tag, and fees of $628 for an out the door price of $31,290. I am a skeptic and naturally I thought this was bs just to get me in. I went there and they did have it for that price but my wife didn't like the color. So he went in his computer and found a v6SE the exact color we wanted that he could have there in 24 hours. Due to the color change it was even cheaper with a total out the door price of $30,842! I was shocked because this was way lower than good prices shown on Internet for bottom line prices. I told him I decided to lease and see what the best he can do was. He came back and said assuming I did have $4,000 in trade value he would do that vehicle for same as other $0 out of pocket and payment of $403 a month. Keep in mind this was for a v6 SE with exact color and interior we wanted and the other was a 4cyl SE for $416. I told him to order it and went back to other dealership to cancel my contract. Of course they didn't want to lose the deal so he said the other place won't actually do that and once he removes my current deal out computer he wouldn't honor it again. I told him I would take that risk. Then after some time he says he keep everything the same and drop payment to $392 a month. I told him for a V6 and color interior I wanted I might just pay the extra $10 a month. He told me to go talk to the wife and then he runs outside and says he will drop payment to $375 a month. I am not saying that is an excellent deal but it saved me $1,475 off his original "great" deal. Sorry for the long post but the moral of the story is several things: 1. Don't get caught up in the bs that they are giving you an amazing deal and it is the best they can do. 2. Go through the Internet dept manager. They won't all do it but the guy at other dealership cut straight through all the bs and literally showed me EVERYTHING on his screens and went straight to best offer. They are different than the floor salesman who haggle you for every extra dollar of profit. Their job is simply to move cars fast and get the dealership to their sales quota. I don't know how they do it but they will in fact sell way below invoice. 3. Don't be afraid to get two dealers working against each other.
    Guys, I'm looking at a AWD Highlander Limited with running boards, side moldings, navigation system and rear dvd system. What is a good OTD price for CT including taxes (6.35%) and fees ($350). I've looked at TrueCar and factory invoice is 40260 and msrp is 43646. Based on that would 43370 be a "good" OTD including taxes and doc fees?

Thank you.
  • sandykomsandykom Member Posts: 1
    Hi can you post name , city of the second dealership with ph #
    i will like to buy the SE VG at the same price price of $30,842
    edited June 2012
    Is it showing dealer cost? I would be pushing for below invoice. Definitely don't settle on invoice. Offer about $1000 below and see what they say. I got my price by sending a request for a quote through the Toyota website. At least I think it was through them. Like a previous poster stated that dealing with the Internet Sales Manager you usually start at a lower price than a regular salesman might offer if you just walk in. The best I could do in my City was $500 below invoice and then a $1000 rebate which might have had more to do with the fact that they had to go out of the area to get me what I wanted. Keep your eye on the actual selling price and not so much on the OTD because the taxes and Fees would be about the same. Of course, taxes would be less if the selling price were less.
  • highlanderfahighlanderfa Member Posts: 2
    It was Toyota of Greenville in South Carolina. I can't put his name or phone number or my post will get deleted again. The person that emailed me amd that I spoke with in person was their internet sales manager. Even if you aren't in their area you could go to website, find vehicle comparable to what you want, have them send you quote, and then use it as a negotiation tool with a high volume dealer in your area. I will give you the specific information off my quotes from him:

Email quote:
    2012 Highlander SE V6 Crimson Mica/black leather
    MSRP $36,625
    Dealer Invoice $33,762
    Internet discount and Toyota dealer cash -$3,100 (off invoice)
    Plus tax, tag, and fee $628 (sales tax in SC only $300)
    Internet price out the door $31,290

Vehicle I wanted and he was getting sent from another dealer:
    2012 Highlander V6 SE Silver/Black leather
    Wording is different because it is a print out of actual dealer screen.

Selling Price $35,399
    Discount $5,185
    Adjusted Price $30,214
    Total Purchase $30,214 (amazing price! )
    Tag and title fees $39
    Administrative processing fee $289
    Tax $300
    Balance $30,842

I am still pissed that I got lease from other company. I got caught up in the payment amount instead of actual lease calculations. Was for 4cyl SE with original quote of nothing out of pocket and payment of $416. This dealer offered V6 SE for $403. Other place then said $375 for the 4 cylinder. I got caught up in the payment game and figured well it's not worth it for me to pay an extra $28 a month to get a V6 (that I didn't need) and a different color interior. What I should of done is calculated the difference in price and divided it by 35 payments. I figure I should have only paid like $346 a month oh well. I'm better prepared for next purchase...
  • gmq1gmq1 Member Posts: 2
    HI There,
    Can you post contact info of dealer?
    We are in the process of purchasing a highlander and live in NC so willing to drive. We are waffling bt. the SE V6 and Limited model as there really isn't a major difference bt. the two. Curious if we can get similar price.
    Many Thanks!
    Well a couple differences I found out (too late) between the SE V6 and Limited. The air conditioning in the SE, you can not control the fan speed or the temp form the front seat, only if the A/C is on or not. Otherwise it's however the last person in the back left it (unless you go back there and change it). Just a note also, it DOES make a difference if it's just A/C or if it's "climate control". All of my cars have had climate comtrol (auto A/C), the SE V6 does not, you have to keep messing with the fan speed and temp in the front as the interior car temp changes (bothers me more than I thought it would). Also, the drivers seat in the Limited has a "seatpan" or seat depth adjustment, that is not on the Limited, makes a difference if you have longer legs.
    I always "overbuy", this is the first time I didn't...I will never do that again.
  • gmq1gmq1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks. That's a really valid point considering I have children who would be strapped into their car seats and wouldn't be able to adjust the temp on their own. What a pain!
    Alot more differences than just those. It's 3 zone auto climate control, 19" wheels, premium perforated leather seating, puddle lamps, woodgrain accents. 10 way power driver seat, chrome roof rack, chrome door handles, and more.
    Sorry, I should have clairified. Yep, there are lots of other changes.. the changes that I didn't notice that bothered me were...
    That was dealer invoice price...thank you for the advice!