Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Highlander Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• hptampahptampa Member Posts: 2
    I am in Tampa and looking to purchase a 2012 Highlander Limited FWD with only a couple of options (floor mats and running boards). Email quotes from dealers are adding tow prep package and SE Distributor dealer fees and stating that they are unavoidable. Obviously most items are negotiable, but I have read about the issue with the SE distributor fees. Are there dealerships in Florida outside of this arrangement? I now have quotes just above invoice but looking for at least $750 below. Also - does anyone know when 2013s come out?
  • mtnman1mtnman1 Member Posts: 431
    edited June 2012
    Tow Prep is a standard "Option" on the V6.
    2012 Highlander Limited AWD V6 and 2015 Ford Fusion Hybrid SE
  • johnsy1johnsy1 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2012
    Is this a good deal - Boston Area
    2012 Highlander SE V6 AWD (Crimson RED Exterior / ASH Leather interior)
    MSRP: 36725
    Final price from Dealer: 31000
    Registration + tags = 529
    Tax:6.25% = 1937.5
    Total OTD: 33466.5
    standard SE specs + All weather Floor mats
  • madriver1madriver1 Member Posts: 2
    2012 Highlander SE AWD

MSRP $37,145
    Price Paid: $31,700 ( 0% financing) $30,950 ($750 cash back)

I opted for 0% financing!
  • madriver1madriver1 Member Posts: 2
    I paid $30,950 for pretty much the same car today. My MSRP was about $400 more but it sounds like what you paid and what I paid are pretty close. I bought over the border in NH as the dealer in MA wasn't as willing to negotiate.
  • bondguy1bondguy1 Member Posts: 231
    My wife just had an accident in our 2004 Toyota Sienna XLE Limited...we have totally enjoyed this car from the time we purchased it brand new in 2004...it is 8 years old and we had 187,000 miles on it and never one problem. Now, we are thinking about getting a hybrid SUV and naturally looked at the Highlander. Since we keep cars for a few years and put lots of miles on them, we want the luxury one, the limited. However, I also don't want to buy one now knowing there is a redesigned one coming out next year which I have been reading about is coming out next year. Anybody know any info on when it will be coming out and what it will look like...maybe a pic of a spyshot or something? The timing for us isn't great as if my car is considered totaled, we have to act sooner than later or rent something until the new Highlander hybrid is available...that being said, I'm thinking they don't sell that many hybrid Highlanders in the limited package so maybe the deals would be pretty good on a current 2012 model...again, any help you can provide would be appreciated.
  • oshuklaoshukla Member Posts: 3
    Hi
    Guys

Can you post the information about the dealers, As I am looking for Base Highlander with V6 Engine and Tech package. Most of dealerships in Rochester and Buffalo are giving closer to MSRP or above invoice. Could any anyone suggest anything from your experience in dealing with these dealers.

Thanks
  • elbeto77elbeto77 Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone one have a copy of the dealers true invoice for this model? What are people paying in Texas?
  • riley678riley678 Member Posts: 7
    I AM ALSO INTERESTED IN SAME MODEL IN TEXAS.
    What prices have you been getting from Toyota sales counselors?
    The best deal is from Costco- $33,720 at Vandergriff Toyota contact Steve Dewitt
    I was offered $33,263 + TT&L which they said was a Costco discount.
    I think you could do better IMHO...I am holding out for $31,000 plus tax etc. no more than $33,500OTD.
  • blueniketxblueniketx Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2012
    Hi,
    Everyone has experience of buying 2012 Toyota Highlander SUV Base 3.5L V6 in Houston, TX. Please share.
    Price + TT&L
    Or OTD price.
    Thanks in advance.
  • winglcoudswinglcouds Member Posts: 7
    2012 Highlander SE v6 AWD does this Price Paid: $31,700 ( 0% financing) include TTL
  • hyspeshyspes Member Posts: 2
    Does anybody know good dealers around at upstate New York?

I'd like to buy my wife's new SUV (Highlander (AWD) SE or Limited). Can anybody share what target price range will be acceptable at upstate New York area?

- Limited (AWD): $35,000~37,000
    - SE (AWD): $33,000~33,500

The above prices found on Fitzmall and are they reasonable prices? Can any dealership beat the price around NY, PA, MA, OH area?

Also, can anybody what trim I should go to? AWD is deifinitley required in here because of long, cold, and feet high snow winter.

Please share your thought, buying experience, and driving experience.

:)
  • doc92doc92 Member Posts: 3
    i bought a new AWD highlander limited at 0% APR. it included

1. navigation
    2. tow prep
    3. cross bars
    4. tow hitch & wiring harness
    5. remote starter
    6. carpet mats

i paid 37,991.00 plus tax. title, tags.
  • winglcoudswinglcouds Member Posts: 7
    does anyone know what good dealer to get SE (AWD): $33,000~33,500+ TTL in NJ area Can any dealership beat the price around the area.
  • advan13advan13 Member Posts: 6
    Heads up. There is a rebate from autotrader. http://autotraderconquestrebate.com/offer
  • mgoldsteinmgoldstein Member Posts: 58
    Looking for numbers for a 2012 Highlander V6 Limited AWD:

Navigation
    Tow Package
    Carpeted Floor and Cargo Mats
    Wheel Locks
    MSRP $41,218

What is a good sales price?
    What is the current money factor on a 36 month/12-k lease?
    What is the residual factor for a 36 month/12k-year lease?

Narrowed search to Highlander or Murano LE. Excluding the 3rd row issue, anybody have preference comments?
    I will answer my own question.

August money factor is .00055.

Residual on an 2012 Highlander V6 AWD with Nav, MSRP of $41,218, is 55% to $22,820.

There is a $500 cash rebate on leases.

Going with the Highlander. Sales price, without the cash rebate was $38,100.
  • nizaminizami Member Posts: 2
    Last week I paid 30,100+Tax for a base 2012 4x4 in CT. The OTD price was $32,700. It came with tow package and carpets. Got the price from Amex and asked the local dealer to match. This was a 0% finance for 60 moths.
  • hb_mdhb_md Member Posts: 4
    Hello Guys,
    I recently bought a Highlander limited edition AWD
    Paid 36.5 K OTD price. (Including Tax, Tag, Title, Dealer fees)
    MSRP for the car was close to 42K.
    Traded in E320, had 90K + miles on it. (Got 10K for that)
    Financed it for 0% for 60 months.
  • hyspeshyspes Member Posts: 2
    Can you please share your area including dealership? I'm looking for a limited highlander too.

Thank you
  • m41sm41s Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to buy a Toyota highlander V6 2012 SE with No Nav. in Central PA. if someone could share experience with dealerships in PA , i will appreciate it much.
    I live in Allentown and have not had good experiences with the dealerships here. My last 2 Toyotas (a 2012 Highlander Limited and a 2010 Venza) were both purchased at Freedom Toyota in Hamburg (at the Cabellas exit off I-78). They have been GREAT to work with. So, even though it was a longer drive for me than 3 other dealerships, I bought from Freedom.

They might have a dealership in Harrisburg too, but I am not sure. I have only dealt with the folks in Hamburg.
  • dmbst68dmbst68 Member Posts: 50
    Check out Fitzgerald Toyota in Chambersburg. They're located along Route 30 East, near the I-81 interchange. The website is: www.fitzmall.com

Exactly what you're looking for well below invoice & no need to negotiate. Prices are clearly marked on their website.

They're also a Nissan dealership. Bought a new Nissan Altima there in 2011. Several thousand (literally) off of the MSRP. No dealerships here in Western PA could come close. Not sure on trade-in values...was coming off of a lease and decided to buy this time.

If you go through Fitzgerald, call & arrange an appointment, especially for Saturdays. Very busy and understandably so considering their prices.
  • kcg12kcg12 Member Posts: 4
    Hello,

I am looking for a Limited AWD w navigation and leather seats. Did your price include that as well? Can you please provide dealership name and state. Thank you!
  • bigalpobigalpo Member Posts: 11
    edited August 2012
    Silver Limited AWD with Nav, towing, mats, dealer installed 9" screen DVD entertainment system, 0% 60 months and NO trade in:

$37,800

out the door with 7.25% sales tax, title, docs, etc = $41,000

purchased on 8/15/12 in Elgin, IL (Chicago suburb)

Got to love it!
  • curly3435curly3435 Member Posts: 2
    I've got a quote from a metro Atlanta dealer on an SE 2WD V6. I'd appreciate any feedback on whether the deal seems reasonable or not.

SE 6951 - 4Dr. 2WD SE V6 SUV ($31042 invoice)
    Magnetic Gray Metallic/Dark Gray Leather
    V6 Tow Prep Package ($195 invoice)
    Carpet Mats w/Folding Cargo Mat ($399 MSRP - can't find invoice price that matches)
    Manuf. Delv, Proc, & Hndlg ($880 invoice)
    SET Administration Fee for NC, SC, GA, AL and FL ($925)

$33213 Invoice
    $33073 Edmunds TMV
    $31310 Quote + $28 filing fee + $38 tag & title fee + $3 lemon law fee + sales tax

Is that in the ballpark of what I should be paying for this vehicle. Have they left any fees out that will surprise me later? Thanks for any feedback.
  • atlresidentatlresident Member Posts: 1
    I think you can do much better than that. I've been looking in Atlanta as well have have seen better quotes.
  • scalvin1729scalvin1729 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

It seems like you got a very good deal. I am trying to buy the exact same model. Can you please share the dealer information, sales person and purchased data with me?

thanks
    S
  • scalvin1729scalvin1729 Member Posts: 2
    Can you please share the dealer information, please?
  • wanthighlanderwanthighlander Member Posts: 2
    In the Washington DC metro area, I was quoted $36,100 for a Limited AWD 2012 Highlander with navigation, tow package and mats, to get a 0% APR. In addition, I had to pay freight, processing, tag fee, and taxes. Sounds reasonable?
    edited September 2012
    Was there a rebate figured in there? If not that's very good. What is the MSRP? I'm guessing about $41,366 since the Dealerships around town here had a lot at that price point with Navigation. Back in mid May I bought a Limited AWD With the Premium Radio, Tow prep, Cross Bars, and Carpet/Cargo mats with an MSRP of $39,366. I paid $36,127 and then I had a $1000 rebate. Obviosly Dealers will be giving better deals now on the 2012's since to clear their lots for the 2013 models.
  • wanthighlanderwanthighlander Member Posts: 2
    The MSRP for the Highlander was around $41,400. I was not eligible for the $1000 rebate since I chose the 0% APR. The offer was either a $1000 rebate or a 0%APR.
  • brian_tampabrian_tampa Member Posts: 5
    The 2013's are just now hitting the dealer lots, so it's a good time to bargain on a '12. Since we keep our vehicles for 10-years/200,000 miles it wouldn't benefit me to pay an extra $1500-$2000 for the 2013 model. Downside is that the selection on 2012's is diminishing, but we were able to get what we wanted.

Highlander SE, 4-cyl, Blizzard Pearl/Bisque leather; tow prep, clear paint protector, iPod/USB adapter

Paid $31,080 OTD.

The tow prep, clear paint protection, and iPod/USB adapter are options we didn't ask for, but just happened to be on the vehicle that the dealer located for us. A $460 bonus there.

Friends, Out-The-Door is the only way to shop a vehicle. It defeats the dealer's Three-Card-Monte pricing games and levels the playing field for the consumer by giving you only one number to compare from dealer to dealer. You don't even need to break out the calculator!
  • zeenzeen Member Posts: 401
    Ok. I'm new to this jargon. Does OTD include sales tax?
    edited September 2012
    OTD includes Everything. It is Out-The-Door!

It's an alternative to the predatory pricing scheme that most dealers prefer, where they quote you a price to get you in their showroom, then heap on dealer fees, destination fee, tax, title, tag, etcetra, which can add another $2-$3,000 to the price. These fees vary from dealer to dealer.

Out-The-Door pricing gives you a single number to work with and compare one dealer's bid against the next. You tell them what options you want on the vehicle and that's what they bid on. Apples to apples. Let them do the math.

In my case they ended up finding a vehicle that had extra options on it. I told them, "It's okay if it has extra fluff on it but I'm not interested in paying for it." They didn't try to up the price at all, so apparently a few hundred dollars worth of fluff doesn't cut too deeply into the profit margin.

Bottom line: traditional price negotiation favors the dealer, OTD negotiation gives the advantage back to the consumer.
    Any experience car buyer is aware of all of this but first you have to work the deal. Then when you get the price you need to have the dealership state the Taxes and Fees added to the deal price. In the state of Ohio Dealerships like to advertise $5000 off every blank in stock which includes all rebates. This is very deceiving to the inexperienced car buyer because the rebate might be $2000 but first sales tax must be added to the negotiated price plus all fees then the rebate is deducted. In addition there is sales tax on the Rebate as well. Just as you state you have to get an actual statement from the salesman in writing what the OTD is. Also any trade in will reduce the amount of sales tax paid in Ohio. I got various trade offers on the 2011 Sorento I traded for my Highlander. Anywhere from $20,500 to $23,000 which saved me that amount x 6.75% in taxes. So that is another very important step in the vehicle negotition and why everyone needs to realize that getting a good price on a vehicle may go out the window when the trade is figured in if you aren't vigilant in dealing on the trade.
    We didn't have a trade to factor in but I submit that the OTD concept would still be valid. Even more so given the increased complexity of the transaction.

I should have mentioned that I got 0% financing for 60-months, although that offer may only be available from Southeast Toyota.
    I don't think it matters either if you have a trade. Just brought up another example about getting the best deal includes the best trade in you can get if you are trading a vehicle in. Yes the 0% has been out there for awhile now. Because we had put down so much with the trade and additional cash we only got a 36 month loan and our credit is almost perfect. Got a 2.49% loan and took the $1K rebate. Our monthly payments are about $12 a month less than had we not taken the rebate and opted for the 0%.
    It looks like we both did well.

The Highlander is my wife's car and I have yet to drive it. . . but she tells me it's quite nice!
  • edgetaedgeta Member Posts: 32
    Personally, I dislike my Highlander. Just can't sell it yet, lose to much money. 1438 days till I can sell.
    One of the good things about Toyota is the high resale value. You shouldn't have any trouble finding a buyer.
  • edgetaedgeta Member Posts: 32
    That is what I am hopeing, but currently with only 5k miles on the car, it is to big of a hit to try to sell. I have to live with my mistake for a whlie... I tried selling and was going to lose about 6k (for a car that's a few months old)... can't do it yet.
  • ryounglawryounglaw Member Posts: 6
    Maryland Price- MSRP $41,200.00

Negotiated MSRP $34,640.00

ON THE ROAD PRICE - $37,337,34 with $14K trade

It is a Mica Limited tan interior with Nav, Tow, Cargo Mats, Crossbars and Exhaust tips. Rear seat DVD's

Good price. Several dealers around would not even touch this.
  • tkv_01tkv_01 Member Posts: 20
    Which dealer did you get it? Cuz im looking for the limited too. Did you also get the 0% too?
  • deep22deep22 Member Posts: 18
    I am in PA. I have got a quote on 2013 Highlander SE,AWD, with Navigation for 35,300 + sales tax + title + tag. It is a discount of $2300 off MSRP.
    Will appreciate if someone can share their experience for 2013 Highlander i.e how much off they got MSRP?

Thank- You
    Bought a Highlander Limited w/ Nav. I highly recommend Freedom Toyota in Hamburg. Got great deal. It included a trade. Combined (trade and discount ) they were over $1000 less than all dealers in Allentown and Conshohocken.