Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Highlander Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• mjhussainmjhussain Member Posts: 6
    The Limited edition include pretty much all options except DVD Rear Entertainment option such as Nav, heated seat, 19in alloy wheel, etc... Some of the accessory options are excluded.
  • driveit4everdriveit4ever Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2013 Highlander Hybrid with Blizzard Pearl exterior, black interior, and the Leather Premium Package, along with all weather mats and cross bars.

MSRP: $44,064
    Invoice: $40,490
    True Market Value®: $42,094

I agreed to add on 3M Chip Protection package for $995, which the dealer essentially discounted by 50%, yielding a base price, with options, of $44500.

I also agreed to add
    Extended warranty (7 year / 125K miles): $2575
    Gap insurance: $795

I originally signed up for 3.4% financing through Toyota.

I've decided to cancel the Extended Warranty, pay cash (and cancel Gap Insurance) and hope to cancel the chip protection package.

I go back to the dealer tomorrow, hoping to renegotiate a new deal. In the worst case, I've paid $500 over MSRP for a Chip Protection package I don't want and probably won't install, but am hoping to find a new, happy midpoint closer to the True Market Value ... or at least below MSRP.

The salesperson said that the color + leather package in the Hybrid were pretty rare around here (Bellevue / Kirkland area of Washington), and since I need a new vehicle within the next 3 weeks - giving my soon-to-be-former car to my daughter - and this one had exactly the color & leather package I wanted, he said it was unlikely that another model like this could be found in that time period ... which is why I moved forward in uncharacteristic haste in signing the deal.

I'm wondering if anyone else might be able to comment on the rarity of the Hybrid + Blizzard White + Leather package, and whether those typically fetch such a premium ($500 < MSRP ... assuming I can renegotiate at least to that level), or whether something closer to the True Market Value is reasonable to assume.

Any other tips on renegotiation after purchase would also be welcome. I'm chalking all this up as a multi-dimensional learning experience, and will be happy to share the outcome here (if it is of interest).
  • jtoejtoe Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I'm in the market for 2013 Highlander Limited and was wondering what prices everyone has been paying? I live in the Chicago land area, but welcome all prices. Negotiation tips are also welcome.
  • ushy66ushy66 Member Posts: 366
    I suggest you call the Phoenix area dealers (internet depts) and get them to quote on desired HHL (color in/out) + options. You may find their prices lower and either get a one way flight to Phoenix and drive it back, or the dealers frequently can pay a reliable driver to drive it to Seattle for a nominal fee. Their prices are usually considerably less than those in Puget Sound area, even when adding in flight and/or a driver to deliver your HHL. Anyhow, it's worth a try.

Good Luck.

Jake
  • f00zf00z Member Posts: 1
    Model: 6951 SE V6 FWD
    Options: Mud Guards, Premium Carpet Mat Set(5 pc), Cross Bars, Glass Break Sensor

$33,000+TTL

What do you guys think of this price?
  • kaliboy818kaliboy818 Member Posts: 3
    For everyone's reference, recently purchased a 2013 SE V6 FWD in Southern California
    Black exterior, Gray Interior
    Navigation, Carpet Mat Set(5 pc), Trunk net.
    Price $32,490 + TTL
  • fotoguy4ufotoguy4u Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2013
    A crackhead got a title loan on his 2005 Highlander. They were going to confiscate it today, so I offered him an extra $200 to let me pay the loan and get the car, rather than just letting them take it. He did that. So I got the $12,000 car for $3,000! It's in Very Good Condition.
  • luvhighlanderluvhighlander Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

Would you please give me the name of the dealer so I can visit them and take one home myself? I want to buy 2013 Highlander Limited but not sure which dealer I should stop by. If you can help that would be great.

Thanks in advance.
  • jlittle78jlittle78 Member Posts: 3
    Looking at a V6 Plus in the Raleigh area, best price I've been quoted is 3K below MSRP = 29287 + TTL fees and no 0% financing, I am trying to get down to 30k OTD with the financing but none of the regional dealers are ready to go that low. Any good experiences in this region with dealers willing to negotiate?
  • jlittle78jlittle78 Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2013
    Ended up buying on Saturday from Fred Anderson in Raleigh. They were the lowest in the area, I got a slightly lower quote from Greensboro but did not trust that they would honor the verbal price or give me the 0% when I got over there. I got an OTD price of $30100 which was a couple hundred lower than they were willing to go the night before. Most other area dealers were $1k or more higher.
  • steveaspesisteveaspesi Member Posts: 46
    "crack head" or not - you basically stole that car from that person.
    coming on here a bragging about it? good luck with your Carma
  • amo5amo5 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

Got a quote for $36,200 for the 2013 Highlander Limited (including the destination fee) + TTL in NJ. Is this the best or have anybody got it for around $35K.
  • tillertnttillertnt Member Posts: 1
    Purchased my 2013 Highlander Plus V6 with carpet mats for $29697 + TTL & 0% financing in SoCal. MSRP of $32825.
  • doudadouda Member Posts: 3
    Hi Jlittle78,

I have been to over 10 dealers and no one would match your price. The best i have received thus far is $32,225 OTD for a V6 Highlander Plus with $32,925 MSRP. Can you share any additional info on how you got such a great deal. Taxes in Illinois are at 8.25% which means that the Highlander price has to be around $27,500 to get a $30,000 OTD. Thanks!
  • lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    I got a quote for $35699 for 2013 Limited AWD (includes dest. charge) with cross bars and mudguards + TTL in MA a few months ago.
  • rtilghmanrtilghman Member Posts: 4
    Got this offer recently with 0% at Toyota South Austin, think it's a pretty good price but not really sure. The car is basically fully loaded, the following are some of the highlights:

- Limited AWD V6
    - Blizzard Pearl/Ash (special color)
    - Rear Seat Entertainment
    - Carpet Floor and Cargo Mats
    - Cargo Net - Spider
    - Body Side Moldings
    - Running Boards
    - Mudguards
    - Tow Receiver Hitch and Wire Harness
    - Cargo Cross Bar
    - Paint Protector Film
    - Exhaust Tip
    - Protection Package

There's some stuff in there I didn't care about, but the stuff on the lot is only configured certain ways. Interested in any thoughts.

Thanks,
    Rick
  • lexus_envylexus_envy Member Posts: 6
    I bought a limited 2011 new in 2011 using truecar.com. They priced out the car with options and I got the best deal around, with no haggling. Check out that website before committing to that price. You can do better. I think I pad $39k
  • rtilghmanrtilghman Member Posts: 4
    Hey, thanks for the reply. Yeah, I checked a bunch of calculators, including Truecar.com.

TrueCar lists the Limited V6 AWD with the options above at MSRP $46,744, a "deal" price of $42,215, and an unusually low price of $41,086. They have dealers who will give me $42,151, so this beats that by about $400, and TrueCar is including the $1000 cash rebate (which you can't get with 0% financing, which I would take instead).

I think it's a pretty good price, I'm pretty sure it's actually at or below invoice on the car, not sure though...

Best,
    Rick
  • andynycandynyc Member Posts: 7
    Looking to buy a new 13 Highlander in NYC metro area. Lolooking for SE with leather nav, moonroof, or limited. Any recent experience? Not getting great results from different reputed buying services (e.g. Truecar, USAA, Costco). Any suggestons?

TIA
  • andrewst01andrewst01 Member Posts: 2
    Recently bought a new Blizzard Pearl '13 Highlander SE with mudguards, side body moldings, protective film on hood, carpet floor & cargo mats, cargo net, exhaust tip, remote engine start for $32,949 + sales tax, docs fee & registration at Toyota of Cool Springs, Franklin, TN. Includes free car washes and Toyota Care 24 mos. program.

Excellent experience with salesperson (Barry White) and the dealership. Both seem very customer-oriented.
  • tlynn421tlynn421 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

My wife and I are deciding between a 2013 SE w/ Entune and a 2013 Limited model. Dealership is eating a couple of thousand of dollars we are upside down on a lease.

Standard 12K lease. Any feedback on what you would recommend?

SE w/ Entune - $422 w/ $0 down
    Limited - $450 w/ $1200 down

Thanks!
    Aaron
  • ben123456ben123456 Member Posts: 6
    Hello Andrewst01

SE AWD or FWD ?

I just bought mine

SE AWD + Carpet Mats + Wheel Locks+ Cargo Bars : 33600 + TTL
  • andrewst01andrewst01 Member Posts: 2
    Its the FWD model. sorry, I forgot to include that info.

You got a great deal, too!
  • roublerouble Member Posts: 1
    highlander aficionados,

Does anyone see good reasons to wait for the 2014s? Any ideas on when they'll be out?
  • deep22deep22 Member Posts: 18
    Yes, I read an article that said Highlander will be redesigned for 2014 model. From the picture, 2014 model looks much better. If I would have known before, I wouldn't have gone for 2013. All the Best!
  • andynycandynyc Member Posts: 7
    I am buying a Highlander SE AWD for $36,650 out the door in NYC on Saturday. Thought I would pass it along as an observation for any NY metro area buyers. The selling price of the car is $33,375.
  • famwaldfamwald Member Posts: 114
    The '14 model will have more safety features that the Lexus RX currently has. We would have waited if we could have, but had to replace a car immediately.
  • ppkeappkea Member Posts: 3
    Hello - Does your price include the $1000 rebate or you went with 0% financing?
  • ppkeappkea Member Posts: 3
    Getting a price of $32.6 with 0% APR or $31.6K with 1000 rebate. Only option is Carpet floor and cargo mat. Whats a good price for this?

Excluding the state tax - how much have you paid for title/registration/fees etc?

What APR do you generally get with excellent credit (770+)
  • whocares8whocares8 Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased one today from Jim Coleman in Bethesda, MD:
    V6, Plus, 4WD + Carpet and Cargo mats

MSRP 34425, freight included

OTD: 32339.68, with 0 apr for 60 months.

Breakdowns
    0 APR (so not qualified for the Toyota discount of 750 in this region) for 60 months,
    Sales price: 29978
    Doc fee: 200
    Title/Registration: 351
    Tax: 6%
    OTD: 32339.68

Many thanks to this forum. The previous discussions gave me a good baseline to negotiate with the dealer.

Also, highly recommend this dealership. Though it took a while to finish everything, they did not push hard to sell me those "packages."
  • iwahliwahl Member Posts: 1
    Looking at a demo with 7000 miles on it. Knowing that I can get a new 2013 for 34,500 plus dealer fees and TTL what would be a fair price on the demo?

Thanks for your help!
  • 911seeker911seeker Member Posts: 16
    Hello,
    Please let me know what you think about the below deal in CT

Limited 2013 Highlander
    First aid kit
    Mud gaurds
    Floor mats, cargo mat
    Hood protector
    Remote engine start
    Running boards
    Exhaust tip
    Door edge gaurds
    Rear entertainment system

38000 MSRP + title + taxes
  • jaugatjaugat Member Posts: 7
    Folks -

Shopping for a 2013 Highlander AWD Limited in Massachusetts. Truecar (if you don't know what this is you should check it out!) has quoted me a price of $35,113. This is based on 2 dealers in my area that would sell me the car at this price - at almost $5,000 off MSRP

Questions:
    1) Has anyone used Truecar? Any experiences?
    2) For July 2013, does anyone know what the lease factor is for 36 months and $12k miles a year? I know the residual value of this car is approximately $24,500.

I have seen as low as .0003 (three zeros) but the dealer recently quoted me .00109
  • 911seeker911seeker Member Posts: 16
    Hello,
    I used Truecar for my recent 2013 Highlander Ltd purchase. you can use it as a guideline. anywhere from 1000-2000$ below invoice price of the car is a good deal or 10.5-12% off MSRP. I got a 11% off MSRP roughly 1300$ off invoice price.

Month end always helps put the pressure. Till tomorrow is the program for lease and finance of 2013 highlanders as the 2014 are all coming not sure what lease/finance programs they have on them.

Good Luck.
  • afarsidafarsid Member Posts: 5
    Hi Ben,
    What city and state did you buy yours in? That's a great deal!
    Thanks.
  • goblue15goblue15 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to trade in my 05 Highlander limited. Anyone want to help a rookie..... I have been looking online and would like to purchase a SE (with leather, 4WD) I am not even sure where to start at the dealer. I walked away from a gently used 2012, and looking at the zero percent rates I think it was probably a good idea to walk away. How much should I expect to come down from the MSRP? The 13 Highlanders that I have found have some options that I do not actually want or need but I would like the leather seats. Do I tell the dealer what I want and they can find me one? Then I negotiate? Or do I tell them my bottom line price. Hopefully someone will guide me in the right direction, I've only bought 1 new car and it's been over 15 years! (My current highlander was by a private seller) Thank you!
  • tical1tical1 Member Posts: 1
    that sounds like an okay offer. i was just at a dealership in NM yesterday who was offering me $39,500 before taxes, fees, and warranties for a 4wd limited highlander. They wouldn't budge for anything lower.
  • afarsidafarsid Member Posts: 5
    Just bought a Blizzard Pearl SE AWD with cargo rack, mats, and mud guards for $32,000+TTL. This includes the 750 cash incentive and is in Massachusetts
    I think I got a steal?
  • carlupicarlupi Member Posts: 52
    You sure got a great price. Congrats!
  • Hugo_StiglitzHugo_Stiglitz Member Posts: 167
    Any word on when the 2014 will hit the dealers?
  • sdmcamrysdmcamry Member Posts: 2
    I am looking at Highlander 4Cyl, 2WD in and around Sacramento area. One offer I got was at $26750. Its just Plus version. No fancy. Is it a great price???
  • sdmcamrysdmcamry Member Posts: 2
    One salesperson was telling this year it hits in Jan'14 only. not sure.
    edited July 2013
    Right. I was told the same thing by my dealer. He said Toyota has scheduled the first build date of the 2014 HL's as Dec. 2013, with them hitting the dealers one month later, Jan. 2014. So it looks like ~ 6 months from now. Something else to keep in mind is that the completely revised 2015 Honda Pilot is sceduled to be revealed at the Jan. (2014) Detroit Auto Show and hit the Honda dealers shortly thereafter (Q1/Q2) as an early release. The new Pilot redo will supposedly incorporate many of the new features of the just released 2014 MDX, so it may be worthwhile to wait for the new Pilot and compare it to the new Highlander before making a purchase decision.

Jake
    Continued from pevious post (having difficulty editing prior post).

I own a 2010 HL LTD AWD (purchased new) and like it alot, but I am seriously considering upgrading to a new 2014 HL, or one of it's competitors, with all the new tech and safety features now or soon to be offered. I previously owned a 2003 Honda Pilot (purchased new) before I traded for my current ride, but became frustrated with Honda for not addressing the well documented and anoying road noise issue (RNI), which was one of the major reasons I traded the Pilot for the much quieter HL. Apparently Honda has finally gotten the message from owners of Pilots (and other Honda products) and Consumer Reports negative comments about the RNI and are addressing it in much improved soundproofing in new releases (ie, 2013 Accord and 2014 MDX), and reportedly in the 2015 Pilot.
    Other Competitors:I recently test drove the completely revised 2013 Nissan Pathfinder, and found it to be a nice ride but was surprised to find it did not have many of the tech and safety features that most of the new mid-sized SUVs/CUVs now offer (for example, it does not have Blind Spot Warning, Lane Change Warning, Rear Cross-Traffic Alert, even in it's highest trim levels---Platinum and Platinum Premium, nor will these features be offered for perhaps another 2-4 years); additionaly, leg room for the driver and front passenger is quite crampted for long legged folks like myself in the Pathfinder, whereas I have no problem in the HL, so the new Pathfinder does not pass muster on several levels. I also recently test drove the 2014 Kia Sorrento LTD AWD which does have all the tech and safety features the 2014 HL LTD AWD reportedly will have, but it doesn't ride as nice as my 2010 HL LTD AWD, AND the driver's seat is was VERY uncomfortable compared to my HL, even on a short test drive, so it is out of the question for me.
    I also recently test drove the newly revised 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD AWD (6 cyl gas, and 8 cyl), and the 2014 MDX Tech AWD and was very impressed by both of these competitors to the 2014 HL LTD AWD. The main disadvantage of the Jeep Grand Cherokee (JGC) is that it only has 2 rows vs 3 (but I rarely use the third row in my HL), whereas the JGC is a super off road (one of the very best, in fact) and very well behaved on-road performer, has superior towing ability over the HL, AND will soon be available with a 6 cyl diesel that will give maximum grunt (torque), while being able to deliver impressive fuel efficiency (28-32 MPG). The diesel JGC LTD AWD will probably cost ~ $3-5K more than a loaded 2014 HL LTD AWD, but that price disparity should go away after 2-3 years of Jeep ownership. I have not yet test driven the 2014 (diesel) JGC LTD AWD, but the reviews in the automotive press are full of praise. I plan to test drive the diesel as soon as they hit the dealers in my area (reportedly Q4/2013).

The 2014 MDX Tech AWD disadvantage compared to the 2014 HL LTD AWD is cost (estimated $6-8K differential, after discounting in 6-12 months) and premium fuel (MDX) vs regular (HL), but this is really only ~ $170/yr/15,000 miles/yr @ 22 MPG for each vehicle.
    The advantages of the 2014 MDX Tech AWD over the 2014 HL LTD AWD is the much nicer exterior body/interior appearance/design, and performance (better road holding AWD system, and acceleration).

So, going into 2014 my short list is: 2014 HL LTD AWD, 2014 JGC LTD Diesel, and the 2014 MDX Tech AWD; I will need to compare/test drive these guys some more over the next 8-12 months + 2015 Pilot before I make a final decision.

Please offer your comments and suggestions. Thanks!

Jake
  • nautica906nautica906 Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2013
    So my wife and I have been going back and forth with a local dealer on a 2013 Highlander SE. I figured I would post and see how our deal was in comparison to what some others have paid. According to the dealer, the MSRP on the model we looked at is $35879. I'm not quite sure what the invoice price is though. As for options, this particular SE has all of the standard SE options with the cargo cross-bars and all-weather floor/cargo mats included.

As it stands right now, we have currently worked the price of the vehicle down to $34000 OTD. In other words, the actual cost of the vehicle would be around $31577 plus tax, tags/title, and dealer fees again making the total $34000 OTD.

This is our first time purchasing a brand new vehicle so I'm hoping that we got a decent deal.
  • jacklee208jacklee208 Member Posts: 1
    Today I want to car dealer check the highlander SE! Window price is $37364,I am not sure how much I can cut down,First time buy car no experience ,need help! Tax is 8.75% .Can somebody tell what price I can get for out the door price!I know the 2014 is almost coming, so old model will easy to cut price down,isn't?Thanks a lot!!
  • alpha123alpha123 Member Posts: 15
    I'm also considering a 2013 highlander base/2x4/4cyl/pearl/grey/cold weather package/floor mats. 28300 OTD with cash financing.

Any thoughts?
    34000 OTD including 0% Toyota Finance ?
    Bayarea, California
  • nautica906nautica906 Member Posts: 2
    Yes sir. We paid $34000 OTD and also got the 0% through Toyota.