Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2000 Dodge QC Problematic

ramsellicusramsellicus Member Posts: 3
I have owned my QC 4.7L for just over a year and have 14K miles on it. There have been a lot of problems... but the one that won't go away is cooling issue's. This truck has seen the dealer way too many times. Has anyone else had these sort of problems and have they been resolved?

1st time 1,600 miles the tranny cooling line ruptured inside the radiator. Dodge replaced the radiator and flushed motor and tranny out.

2nd time 6,100 miles overheats at idle. Dodge replaced the radiator cap and the fan clutch.

3rd time 8,900 miles coolant pouring out of the engine. Dodge claims loose hose and that cooling system burped.

Right now, it overheats at idle and intermittent leaking. Coolant dripping from under radiator and under the steering components. Added a gallon and a half of coolant last weekend. I have almost always been able to smell coolant burning right after parking in the garage at night.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    namfflownamfflow Member Posts: 202
    Sounds to me you should look around for a different, more responsive dealer. It sounds like too many prioblems that may have been caused by the dealer.
  • Options
    bobs5bobs5 Member Posts: 557
    Your service department sounds to be completely incompentent. Raise a major stink with the dealership your currently dealing with. If they do not resoonnd contact their higher ups, all the way to the dealer owner. If they don't give you an acceptable response, I would continue upward with the Dodge hierachy. If that fails, find another dealer.
  • Options
    ethuressonethuresson Member Posts: 55
    Yeah, man. Sounds like a bad case of service department suckbadius.

If that is your only problem with the vehicle at that mileage, your topic heading is misleading. Should be 'Chrysler dealer service dept problematic'.

Find a better mechanicus....
  • Options
    ethuressonethuresson Member Posts: 55
    sorry, I didn't reread your post about the other problems. Little stuff or anything serious? I have a brand new 01 QC with 380miles on it. So far so good...
  • Options
    Ethuresson, I traded in a perfectly good 2000 Ranger extended for this truck, 20,000 miles with no problems. Unfortunately the Kid's grew too fast. There have been a lot of annoying little problems. On delivery there were some warped interior plastic pieces, the rear bumper was too high and scrached the tailgate. New parts were installed and tailgate repainted. At 600 miles the right front A-arm assembly came loose almost lost the whole wheel assembly. This all happened in about a twenty mile drive... pretty hairy. don't get me all wrong I really am trying to like this truck. I am just used to cars that work with no issue's. My Ranger and the wifes Honda both trouble free in 80K plus miles.
  • Options
    mobiwanmobiwan Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with overheating at idle last october.
    Bought my 2000 Dakota QC 4.7 4x4 slt+ on july 24,2000 in Calgary Alberta.
    1st time to dealer at 2500 miles with overheating at idle. Dealer said their was an air lock in system so they flushed the rad and replaced the fluid.

2nd time same problem at 3100 miles. Noticed it overheating at idle and when foot was not on the gas. When I did give it gas on the highway and accelerating, it cooled down. It took 2 days for the dealer and calls to chrysler head service techs to find out I had warped heads. The heads had to be taken apart and sent to a specialty engine shop to confirm the severity.

Just my luck, Apparently it had never happened before with this engine so I had to wait till they got new heads and valves from the assembly plant. Truck was in the shop for the whole month of October. Not happy with chrysler canada or the management at my dealer as they offered nothing for me for compensation.

I went back soon after about a rattling noise which of course they did not find but I had just discovered this weekend that my fan shroud is broken which I'm sure it happened when they took my truck apart.

Anyway ramsellicus, You better have them check your cylinder heads.

Now have 10000 miles without a problem since and I love my QC again.

Sorry for the long post, my first time on here after lurking at all the dakota posts for almost a year.
  • Options
    Mobiwan,

You hit it right on the head... pun intended. The Dealer is pulling my heads off right now. They must have called the same folks because they did not return my call yesterday. They started on it Monday afternoon but did not start taking off the heads till late yesterday afternoon. Better not take a month though. Hope this fixes the problem like it did yours!!!

Best regards,

Ramsellicus