Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RSX (All years/types)

Comments

• himilerhimiler Member Posts: 1,209
    I drove the RSX-S and Prelude back-to-back, and here's how I scored it:

shifter--the RSX has nice short throws and an extra cog.

seats--the Lude's seats aren't as aggressively bolstered in the thigh area, but they aren't slippery leather, either.

engine--the Lude wins hands-down with more torque, a balance shaft, and that classic kick-in-the-pants VTEC engagement.

ride--Prelude is much quieter on the highway, and doesn't get as nervous feeling on rough pavement.

handling--too close to call. The RSX is more go-kart, the Lude more GT. Depends on what you're looking for.(I will maintain that no matter how the RSX's Mcstruts are tuned, they remain inferior to the wishbones on the Lude.)

interior--Prelude, without a doubt. Sure, it looks like 1987 in there, but the quality of the materials is far superior to those in the RSX. RSX counters with a great steering wheel, but still comes up short due to high dash and cowl (thank the struts).

features--RSX wins easily, but remember what you're spending your $$ on: crappy Bose gear, impress-your-friends climate control, and unheated leather seats. If that stuff is important to you, don't buy the Prelude. The Prelude is what it is, a serious sport coupe. You're paying for hardware, not luxo-bits. It's not a Civic all dressed up for the prom.

styling--your call. I see too much Civic and 300M in the RSX, and the Prelude's no beauty for sure. But at least it looks like something other than an economy car.

Yup, I'm biased. And yup, I bought the Prelude. After driving two Integras a combined 470,000 miles in 5 years, I really wanted to like the RSX, but the suspension changes and inclusion of stuff I don't need (and can't get the car without) let me down.

Happy shopping!
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Thanks for your review. That's exactly what I was looking for. Having driven a Prelude, but never an RSX, I agree with what you're saying. I've always loved the Prelude (Starting with the 4th Generation when I started driving) and passed on the chance to buy one 4 years ago when I graduated college. On paper, I like the double wishbone set up of the prelude better. I didn't like the styling of the RSX when it came out, but after seeing a few on the road (and I like the fact that the road isn't swarming with either RSXs or Generation 5 Preludes) and sitting in a Type S at the Auto show impressed me. The VTEC kick in the pants as you call it has always impressed me. I've still got to drive both cars and also see if the dealer can get me the Prelude Type SH in either Red or White and then I'll make my decision.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• verozahlverozahl Member Posts: 574
    ... it's a tough decision! NOT... I still want a Prelude! Oh well, the Integra is doing fine.

The RSX really needs a center console... otherwise, very sharp package. Everything standard, just like the 'Lude.
  • fxashunfxashun Member Posts: 747
    #1 sporty coupe under $25K according to this months new Car and Driver.
    ... for the 2002 model year, I would agree.
  • carguy62carguy62 Member Posts: 545
    A guy at work just showed up with a Blue RSX, base. I haven't had a chance to check it out, but he had leather installed. Not the way I would go. He came from an old Daytona or something like that, hopefully he will like this one better. That's the third Acura I've "helped" people at work buy. I need a finder's fee.

BTW a local Honda dealer had two '01 Preludes, but that was about two months ago. The interior reminded me of the first Prelude I sat in, an '88.
    I'm willing to drive to get my hands on an '01 Prelude, but Illinois is a bit too far!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• only1harryonly1harry Member Posts: 1,140
    I know 2 dealerships that have at least 1 '01 Prelude each.. Let me know and I 'll give you their ph#.
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
    '11 BMW 335i coupe xDrive
    '13 Honda Accord sedan (wife's car)
    Of course I'll takje one from NY, that's where I am. I'm only looking for a Type SH. What dealerships BTW?

Does the moonroof only slide open? Is there a tilt feature?
    Tilts, too.
  • l_yao1l_yao1 Member Posts: 15
    That's why, before I bought RSX-s I went down to the Honda Dealer here,and ask for the 02 Prelude.(Cause I really like the Sharp looking that Prelude has.) but they said there is no prelude coming out on 02',And then I heard from Acura dealer and they have the Integra Replacement coming out, RSX. So that's why I am sitting in it now. These facts make me think, that honda i very clever to shift their model from the acura and Honda. RSX on one hand get the old integra away from market, and on the other hand they don;t want the Prelude to be the only Competitor Rsx will have that from their own home. So bang the Prelude is gone!!! LOL personal Opinion. Thanks
    Now, who could argue with that?
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    Not to. There are so many rebuttals that I can think of...
  • eman6628eman6628 Member Posts: 41
    I just recently toured four cities in Japan (Tokyo, Osaka,Kyoto and Kobe), during the visit we did a lot of driving around on the the road (both city streets and highways), and I pay specially close attentions to the cars Japanese drives. I find it surprising there were not one single RSX encounter! Does anyone know why is this?
    Curry Honda in Yorktwon Heights and Moorehead Honda in Newburgh, NY. This was about a month ago.. Not sure if they still have them but Curry had at least 2 parked right up front.
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
    That is surprising. The RSX is still a fairly new car though and I 've only seen 3 my self on my 160mi. daily commute (in NY/NJ). In Europe too you rarely see a Honda. Mostly VWs (Golfs & Polos - a smaller Golf), BMW, Renaults, Nissan (hatchbacks that we don't get here), Fiats, Peugeot, Cintroen, and some Miatas. I only saw a couple 2-3 Civic HBs, some Accords and surprisingly a couple of S2000s. Almost no Camrys, Maximas or Altimas. The 1 Integra that we saw was in a driveway far away from the road in some rich home. I 'm told that Hondas, especially Integras are very expensive in Europe, and for that reason most people buy base model BMWs cheaper! They have 1.3, 1.5, & 1.6 3-series there that are in the same price range or cheaper than Integras. Even 5-series start with a 1.6L! 516 & 518s were popular.. It blew my mind that these mid-size Bimmers came with 4-cyl. engines! They 're silky smooth though. My uncle picked us up in his 518 5-sp. and I could barely hear the motor during the whole trip. Bimmers are thousands less than here, probably because of their proximity to Germany. To my surprise, Jeep Cherokees were popular as well as Toyota SUVs and trucks (this is Greece & Italy). I can assume it's similar in Japan. Meaning many more models to choose from, that we don't get here in the US, which is why you saw many others and not RSX..
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
    Because they come with those itty bitty engines and cloth interiors. Our Bimmers are expensive because they are loaded. Even if you pick it up in Germany a U.S. Bimmer is spensive.
    Yo, Hondas are much more popular in America than Europe OR Japan. Friends in Japan are slaves of Toyota Empire... can't wait until Toyota brings Scion into town. bB, WiLL, woooo hooo!

If you were looking for the RSX logo, you would have seen INTEGRA on the back... the RSX is the fourth-generation Integra. Integra/RSX is much more popular in America and Canada than in Japan, according to my many eye spies (special thanks to... naw, list would be too long).
  • d5tanleyd5tanley Member Posts: 16
    i just bought an rsx s-type and was curious about the break in period. the manual doesn't say much, and i forgot to ask the dealer.

any recommendations?
    Don't wring out the engine until you get past the 500-mile mark. Also, try to vary your speed as much as possible and don't do any hard braking (unless you have to) for the first 200 miles.

I'd get the oil changed sometime between 2,500 and 3,000 miles, just to play it safe.

Have fun!
  • jonmicfedjonmicfed Member Posts: 1
    Anybody hear estimates on when the 2003s will be coming out? Test drove a Type S yesterday and really liked it. While at the dealer, noticed a few of the other Acura models had the 03 version already on-site. Thinking it might be worth waiting a couple months if the 03 RSX-S is on the way...
  • chem123chem123 Member Posts: 272
    Go to post #625 (type it in--upper right corner). Harry made a great post on break-in on Type-S's.
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    One of the reasons Integra would be rare in Europe is that I doubt Honda sold any other trim but Type-R there and so in extremely limited numbers.
    Still, Honda is a small automaker, especially if you consider the consolidated giants, and they are less visible in Europe because they have not been as aggressive to get in that market, one of the best examples is not doing what the market demands... diesels.
    But they are second largest in Japan, and not many European companies are as visible in Asia as they are in Europe.
    thanks chem123.

those posts make me a little nervous. i'm at around 400 miles and have pretty much been taking it easy so far...but not that easy.

guess i'll tone it down until i get to at least 1000 miles.
    They 're still a lot cheaper than here. My friend flew out to Europe to pick up a new '99 M3 (with US specs) because his '98 got stolen over here. He then drove it to France (Lyon) and put it on a boat and shipped it here. It was fully loaded like the US one and it was at least $12K cheaper! He said with the money he got from the insurance company on his stolen '98 M3, he bought the new one, paid for a 10 day vacation to Germany & France (airfair, hotel, expenses, etc.) and he ended up with $5K in his pocket. Too bad 2 mos later they stole that one too! So he flew out to Germany again and bought a Boxter-S! Same thing, he ended up with money left over again!
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
  • chem123chem123 Member Posts: 272
    I don't think that you need to be scared...rather, just don't be dumb. A 1000 mile break-in is always a good idea on any car.
    well, i've only got 500 more miles to go. shouldn't take me too long.

:)
  • rsxownerrsxowner Member Posts: 1
    I've had my rsx since the end of July and have been happy so far...except my Check Engine Light has already made itself known. The culprit was a "slow response from oxygen sensor". The dealer, not my local dealer, says the car is fine to drive...should I get this part replaced regardless? This is a new car - i want to keep it working well.

Also - there is a distinct noise coming from the front, right tire area - like a strained spring heard when going over bumps and especially when turning over bumps...i don't like it. Any suggestions on what this is?
  • l_yao1l_yao1 Member Posts: 15
    Hi RSXOWNER: I am not sure with what your sound is. but I got the same kind problem for my last xterra, if it is like when you turn your car to the lock and the car make some squize sound they shouldn't, you should check that with your dealer soon. Because when I got the check last time (I MEAN THE XTERRA) they replaced something and then the sound was gone. So this just my experince, for your consideration.
    Regarding your CEL. I'm having the same problem with my CR-V and they have determined it is a computer software issue. Now I don't know if your situation is the same but the code they pull is P1164, which would tell them to replace the 02 sensor. But Honda has instructed the dealers not to replace the sensor just to reset the CEL. A computer fix is coming. May be worth doing some research and see what you can find.
    But my Car & Driver just came in the mail yesterday! Kudos to the RSX Type S! 0-60MPH in 6.3 seconds...YIKES!

• diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    Maybe he weighed only 100 lbs.? But 6.3 seconds is indeed fast. I think the best performance time I've seen for the RSX-S was 6.9 seconds.
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    Well, I guess this gives some credibility back to that 6.1 time that C&D got last year.
  • bobstbobst Member Posts: 1,776
    I got an RSX brochure from the Accura dealer, and it had a chart that compared the engines in the RSX and RSX-S. Up to 6000 RPM, both engines had the same horsepower. Above that range, the RSX-S engine was more powerful.

Up to 6000 RPM, the RSX engine actually had more torque. Above that, the RSX-S engine was better.

Based on that chart, it seems the RSX engine is better for those of us who drive below 6000 RPM.
  • ksargentksargent Member Posts: 31
    Bob:

Well - most of us spend the majority of our time below 6K RPM - at least in day-to-day driving.

However: I would also take the suspension difference into consideration as well. The base RSX has a softer ride - which may be a selling point to some, but I very much prefer the firmer feel of the Type-S. The leather seats are nice as well - and I am one who swore I would never pay a dime for leather in a car. But these seats are really nice.

As far as the engines go - while I don't live at redline, it is pretty exhilarating to visit every now and then. I'm no boy racer - I'm 48 years old. But pushing the Type-S can be a high - even if you only do it every now and then.

Either choice should net you a fine auto - but the Type-S is really a special car.

Regards
    Ken
    bobst: I don't know if you're a stick shift guy (I hope you are), but the Base RSX is available with an Automatic (Slushbox).

I made a decision on what I'm going to replace my 2000 Saab 9-3 (my lease is up in December). I've posted before that I've always been a huge fan of the Prelude. I've always wanted one and my wish will come true. My local dealer has found a Milano Red Prelude Type SH (Brand New 2001 Leftover) for me. He's got to go and pick it up, then I'll be taking delivery next week or the week after.

To those of you who have an RSX: That is one fine automobile, and If I couldn't find any Preludes (I'm not saying one car is better than the other) that I wanted, I'd be heading straight to the Acura dealership to drive and possibly buy an RSX Type S.

• bobstbobst Member Posts: 1,776
    I am 56 years old, and I plan to drive a stick shift as long as I am able to.

I don't drive fast, so I don't need much power in a car. I also like a suspension that is not too stiff.

We have 97 and 99 Accords, and I kind of like the older car more. The suspension is softer, and I think it is more fun to drive. My wife likes the 99 more.

We plan to keep the cars as long as we truly enjoy driving them, but it is fun to look at the new cars and figure out what we would like for a replacement.

We looked at a 3-series BMW last week, but the interior was too serious and the engine compartment was ugly. A V6 Passat might be OK, but I can't stand the stupid plastic thing that covers the engine. So we will keep on looking. There are worse things to do in your spare time.
  • beowulf7beowulf7 Member Posts: 290
    I went to the local Acura dealer yesterday and asked a salesman about the new cars. He said that Acura is only releasing the 2003 cars in the Spring for the 3.2 TL and CL. Their other cars will be out in the Fall. He also mentioned that I shouldn't expect any changes for the 2003 RSX except for perhaps a new color or two.
  • zoomzoom79zoomzoom79 Member Posts: 272
    Maybe they'll pair their pearl white (platinum white pearl?) with a black interior. That's the combination I would wait for.
    Congrats on finding your Prelude! It's a real looker in red. Enjoy!
    The Prelude people hve taken over the RSX forum... Honda, get a clue~!
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Thanks! ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • spd99spd99 Member Posts: 3
    I'm 6'7" with real long legs (36 in). Any chance I fit???
  • jfunkjfunk Member Posts: 25
    Well, perhaps with a shoehorn.... Seriously though you'd probably have as good a chance with the RSX as any sport-compact. I recall tall people saying with the (previous) Integra they had to put the seat all the way back, which was okay for the legs but still were scrunched for headroom. The RSX grew about 2" in height, so with that and the seat all the way back you may have a chance, you'll just have to run to a dealer and check it out. Good luck.
    But I drive a Civic too so it may be relative. 38" inseam on my Levis though.
  • mtbdcdmtbdcd Member Posts: 4
    I am replacing my integra with probably either a RSX Type S or 2001 Prelude. I have owned both an integra and Prelude and liked both. Prbably liked the Prelude a little better.
    I am curious if any RSX owners, had a Prelude as a previous car. And, what their opinions are on the two.
    It seems like with the RSX you get quite a bit more for the money(leather seats, side air bags, 6-speed...) But, i am kind of old fashioned and like the looks of the Prelude. Seems to be a modern day version of my old G2 prelude.
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    I'd check a RSX site. I watched the Prelude boards when the RSX-S came out and a lot of people definitely talked about jumping ship. However, as it turned out neither car was "better" than the other and the advantages each had over the other were not enough to justify selling a new Prelude for the RSX.

Prelude is more stable but slower; it has a more impressive suspension but the steering isn't as quick or right. The interior quality is higher but the features are less abundant and the styling is more boring. It's more storied but also more expensive.

Best thing to do is drive a RSX-S then a 5th gen Prelude, and pick the one you like more. The cars are different enough that a couple of test drives in each should help you settle on one.
  • heatmiser1heatmiser1 Member Posts: 122
    My father is looking at purchasing a 2002 RSX (5-speed manual) or RSX-S (6-speed manual). Can anyone share with me their "true" real world gas mileage on either model? Thanks!
  • ncrsxsncrsxs Member Posts: 2
    I get about 28 mi/gal in my type-s, with mixed city/highway driving...
This discussion has been closed.