Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RSX (All years/types)

Comments

• himilerhimiler Member Posts: 1,209
    That dealer is whizzing on your head and calling it rain.

There will be no RSX sedan.

My guess is that any changes for the '03 RSX will be of the minor variety, which explains why we're not hearing much about them.

New and improved vanilla is still vanilla, right?
  • beowulf7beowulf7 Member Posts: 290
    It was something I read a while ago, which may be Acura's justification to jettison producing an RSX sedan. One can do a casual, non-scientific survey of Integras on the roads in the US and easily see that coupes handily outnumber sedans for the final generation Integras.
  • sk8surfrsk8surfr Member Posts: 14
    To all of you who have purchased your RSX's, I have head that a lot of people are paying below invoice. Is this true? I am looking at purchasing a type-S. Is it true about all of them. And also when do the 2003 come out. Should I wait till they come out and try to work a good deal on an 02? Thanks everyone.
  • gusfivegusfive Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone--
    I live in the Washington, D.C. area. What is a good price for a RSX, auto trans, no leather? Thanks for the info. Any comparison with the EX Accord? Similar pricing although I believe the RSX is better made with a longer warranty and no tune-ups for 100K.
    Gus Five
  • khannagkhannag Member Posts: 4
    I've been very attracted to the black leather interior offered by Acura. However, I just test drove an RSX and I felt a little claustrophobic inside the car. It also seemed like on a hot day that interior would make the car really hot.

Would love any any feedback from other people who own the car?
  • khannagkhannag Member Posts: 4
    I've been very attracted to the black leather interior offered by Acura. However, I just test drove an RSX and I felt a little claustrophobic inside the car. It also seemed like on a hot day that interior would make the car really hot.

Would love any any feedback from other people who own the car?
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    To sk8surfr- (post 1215) You may be right. I've seen a lot of ads in my local paper (Central Florida) offering the RSX at very good rates. My sig. other and I also test drove one recently, and the initial lease rates we were offered indicated that they were selling at or near invoice.

If you're not in a big rush, waiting till the end of year often has it's advantages. The trade off though is not having as not having as big of a selection. If you're picky about color you may want to jump in there sooner than later.

To gusfive- Have you had a chance to check out TMV New Vehicle Pricing Calculator. This will give you the average price in your region. Mind you this is not the lowest cost, but an average cost based on a given period of time. Also, be sure to read the details/exclusions to Edmunds.com base TMV new vehicle prices. Good luck.

Hi khannag- I do think a blk interior will be hotter than a light interior, but also keep in mind that if the dealer has his cars parked in the direct sunlight without any kind of front front window shade, it's going to feel very hot when first stepping in. If you really like black, then using a front windshield shade would be a good solution, imo.

For what it's worth, I was once told by a leather upholsterer that dark colors are easier to maintain than light colors. Black is less likely to show ink marks and other wear/tear....

Others here may have more to add about interior color and pricing. Also, weekends are usually a little slower around here, so perhaps give it a day or two for additional feedback. Good luck.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • geuphoniumgeuphonium Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone,
    Just got myself a base RSX 5-spd w/ leather as a graduation present, and am loving it. (Course, my old car was a '90 Corolla, and while dependable as a rock, its a little unfair to try to compare with the RSX.) FYI, I live in the DC area, and paid $19,670 at Radley Acura w/ wheel locks. I may have been able to go under invoice, but I stupidly told him that was as high as I was willing to go, so thats what he offered, right off the bat. Even still, I can live with $1,000 under TMV, so whatev.

I had a question re: engine break in procecure. Mainly, IS there one? My buddy had a 2000 Integra Type R, and he was describing to me the process he said you were supposed to go through...(something like, go on the highway, accelerate up to X mph, then slow down, then repeat process, etc.)

I asked my dealer, and he wasn't aware of one. Generally, I've been told to just take it easy for the first 700 miles or so, so I've been trying (mostly successfully) to keep the revs below 3500. Is this enough, or is there some other things I should be doing?

Incidentally, he also told me the oil change intervals in the manual was correct, 10,000 mi, and that the factory fill contained some kind of additives to help break in the engine. Still seems uncomfortably high to me, so I might hedge and follow the severe interval, which is like 7,600 or something. (Don't have the manual in front of me)

Appreciate any input/feedback.
  • joe249joe249 Member Posts: 95
    I have a type S and I'm supposed to change oil ,but not the filter until 10k.
    Braking it in you shouldn't use the cruise as you need to vary the speeds.I guess the vavles seed better. Find Himler,Diploid or Vero on this board or RSX VS Triburion. They are in the know.
    Ask for Fred ,he's always on RSX vs Trib. I warn you though it gets heated.
    There are numerous break-in theories, and they're probably all a little bit correct.

My experience (based upon driving 500,000 miles in 6 years on 3 different Honda/Acura cars purchased new) suggests that you should be kind to the car for the first 1000 miles. No hard braking (unless there's an emergency); no hard acceleration; no setting the cruise at 75MPH (or any speed) for the first 300 miles; be gentle with the shifter as the synchonizers wear-in a bit -- no 5-3 downshifts at 6000RPM without double-clutching.

Once you get to 1000 miles, give it the whip!

RE:Oil changes
    Despite what many may claim, I have seen no evidence that Honda/Acura cars come from the factory with a special "break-in" oil.

Personally, I drive 6,000 miles monthly (mostly highway) and get my oil&filter changed/tires rotated every 5,000-6,000 miles. I could probably go longer between changes, but I'm not willing to risk damage to my VTEC system by running hard (as I often do) on oil that *might* not be able to provide proper lubrication.

However often you decide to change your oil is up to you and (more properly) how hard you drive.

As far as the first oil&filter change is concerned, I've always believed it's worth $20-30 to get the first change done at 2,000 miles. You just never know what might be floating around in that oil after your car breaks in. As the saying goes, "Pay a little more now, or maybe pay a lot more later."

Enjoy your car! Shiny side up.
  • zigster38zigster38 Member Posts: 117
    As you might recall, Acura did the same thing back in the day when they first came out with the Integra. "No sedan, no way" they said. Then ....poof - four doors.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    Sorry to be off topic, but I've got a question regarding the bra on my Prelude. I keep asking people for help regarding the installation of the snaps. It seems they pop out so easily. People keep telling me to let the bra sit out in the sun so the material gets heated and expands. My problem isn't with the material not fitting right, it is with the snaps. I know you have a stoneguard on yours but you had the Honda Bra on beforehand. I just would like to know how to put the snaps in correctly. You can email me this offline if you'd like. I appreciate your help.

To the rest of you: Sorry for clogging up your RSX board with my Prelude questions. Thanks for your patience.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• verozahlverozahl Member Posts: 574
    Well, nyccarguy, the RSX is supposed to "replace" the Integra and the Prelude, so Honda-Acuram marketing people wouldn't mind your post!

Integra/RSX competes in a lot more of the market than some people realize... for example, if I had to have a Ford, I'd be stuck between a Contour and a Probe. The Contour is Ford's closest to a 4-door Integra, whereas the Probe is Ford's closest to a 2-door Integra. Obviously, the Integra won that sales battle.

4-door RSX, IMO, would just look weird.
    I think Acura could figure it out, though. The 4-door Integra is around, but you can find anything and everything on the streets of Ann Arbor.

Sorry for the four-letter expletive I dropped in here. This is the completely wrong place to mention F**D. Still, I couldn't resist mentioning how it took the Contour and Probe to take on the Integra and still lose out.

(^_^)/
  • col1col1 Member Posts: 3
    I seen pictures of RSX in dark silver (sort of greyish). Does anyone know if it's an official color. I don't like silver because it's too bright! This color would be perfect. But I couldn't find any site that I can verify it's an official color dealers offer. Does anyone know?
    Desert Silver is the official name of the color and the RSX look absolutely stunning in it.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

I seen pictures of RSX in dark silver (sort of greyish). Does anyone know if it's an official color. I don't silver because it's too bright! This color would be perfect. But I couldn't find any site that I can verify it's an official dealers offer. Does anyone know?
    I seen RSX in "Desert Silver", but it isn't it!!!
    It's a very straightforward install, so here's the only thing that could be amiss:

The snaps that were installed in the front of the wheel wells should have had a 1/2"-long black rubber compression sleeve behind the washer that the snap screw threads into. As torque is applied to the screw, the black rubber sleeve compresses down onto itself, causing its diameter to increase which in turn keeps it from pulling out of the mounting hole (which is the problem you're having).

If the dealer put your bra on, I would check to make sure that they installed the rubber sleeves (one per side, obviously) when they screwed in the snaps. Do this by unscrewing the snap screws and pulling the screw and washer out of the hole. If there's no rubber sleeve behind the washer, somebody goofed.

If the rubber piece IS there, my suggestion would be to reinstall the washer and screw and then torque the hell out of the screw to ensure that the rubber sleeve is getting compressed all the way down.

If this isn't the solution, I'm stumped!

Let me know what you discover.
    Thank you so much! I'll give it a try this weekend (the next time I'm going to see my car). The dealer didn't install the snaps on my car, they just came in a small package with the BRA.

Now let me get this straight:

The snap faces outward (duh). The washer goes behind the plastic in the wheelwell. The Black rubber compression sleeve goes between the Snap and the Washer. I have to hold the washer in place while I screw the snap into the rubber compression sleeve. As I screw the snap into the black rubber sleeve, it will compress and become wider than the hole sot it will not come out. Do I have it right?

Nope, not quite. Here are the parts listed in their position on the installed screw, starting at the head of the screw:

snap, black plastic washer, fenderwell liner, rubber sleeve (or, as Honda calls it, "fenderwell nut")

The "fenderwell nut" goes in the hole (behind the fenderwell liner) the plastic expansion clip came out of, the fenderwell liner goes back in place, then the washer, then the screw with the snap on it. Tighten securely.

Should do the trick!
    Boy,was my Integ alot simpler than my S.Do you guys just put it on auto and forget it for heat.There isn't any flow through ventilation and a temperature knob.The fan runs all the time.
    Also,living in Maine there are no Acura dealers .So the dealer where I bought the car wants to mail me oil filters,doesn't Honda carry them?
    Well anyways,if someone can tell me how they run there heating and why does a/c green light come on during defrost or defrost and feet?Thanks Joe
  • ace002ace002 Member Posts: 3
    I bought my RSX last August and the CE light has suddenly started coming on. Upon some thought it might coincide with the gas tank getting below 1/3 to 1/4 of a tank. The dealer doesn't seem worried (couldn't give me an appt till next week), but I am. Anyone else seen similar issues? Thanks in advance.
    Honda dealer told me that.Uses same oil filter and to change
    filter at 5k.Beowulf is right subwoofer is useless.
    Also, I'm going to a synethtic manual tranny fluid after 5k.First to second is knotchy.
    Actually, none of the dealers give you the same answer,even when you show them the manual.
    Yep, same engine block, same filter. Buy 'em cheap at www.manchesterhonda.com if you change your own oil (which is really difficult because of the filter's location)!

The A/C light comes on whenever "defrost" is selected because your windsheild will clear much more quickly if there's dry air blowing on it. Too bad Honda doesn't make this feature engine-temperature dependant, since the A/C doesn't work on cold mornings until the car warms up anyway.

My Prelude does the same thing. I just switch the A/C off if the car is starting cold.
    Is the compressor running on defrost?If so ,this ought to make it drink more 91 octane.
    I'd like to switch to 89 octane .What do you think?
    If the A/C light is on, the compressor will be cycling on and off like it normally does. I doubt that it's a huge mileage penalty, probably no more than 1-2mpg (it's a small compressor).

If it were my RSX (you've got the Base model, right?), I'd stick with 91 octane or higher for the summer months, when there is a greater chance of detonation due to higher operating temps. You could definately switch to 89 octane once the Fall and Winter months roll around without any trouble, provided you're not out there chasing down WRXs.

My '01 Impreza RS likes 91 or higher in the hot months, even though it's rated for 87. Once the weather cools down, I go back to 89.
    Just filled it with 93 Octane on Sunday sale @ $1.42 a gal. .Here on Sundays they drop the price a dime at Mobile and Cumberland Farms.
    Going to several bodyshops to get quotes on stone guard.I'll do fog lights,not headlights . Also, depends on price .Seems lower unit will chip easier.
    Got a chip on rocker panel dealer says he'll fix with "Blend In" No way I'm driving 100 mi.Some body shop must carry the same stuff. I noticed it because the primer is black.Silver is nice hides dirt ,but I still think Honda's paint is sub par.
  • ratass_2002ratass_2002 Member Posts: 17
    Will the premium gas make my engine last longer, or it doesn't make a difference.

My friend is arguing that it's good for the car. I am little septical about it.

I heard that premium gas will make the car drive longer distance with the same amount of gas compared to regular gas.

Give me your 2cents:)
    You won't get better mileage from a tank full of premium (unless your car requires it).

I would not use anything less than 89 octane in a Base RSX, and a minimum of 91 in a Type-S. Here's why:

Both RSX engines have high compression ratios, which means that there's lots of heat and stress on the valvetrain. Higher-octane fuels not only help to minimize (or eliminate) fuel detonation aka "spark knock" by raising the temperature at which the fuel will ignite, but they also have better detergency properties than low-grade fuel.

Those detergents play a big part in the longevity of your valves' service life by keeping them clean of carbon deposits. Carbon deposits on valves cause "hot spots" which will fatigue the metal and cause it to become very brittle.

I can speak from experience on this one. My 1996 Integra LS was fed a steady diet of 87 octane for 2.5 years, in which time it racked up 218,000 miles. Right before I sold it, the engine started misfiring and losing compression. After a top-end rebuild, the mechanic showed me a valve that was so cooked you could break pieces off from it with your fingers. His suggestions: adjust the valves every 25-30,000 miles and use 89 octane or higher.

Next time around with my '98 GS-R, I used only 91 or higher (as required) and checked the valves every 25K. Now it car has just shy of 228K on the ticker and not a single misfire.

The old adage holds true: "You can pay a little more now, or a whole lot more later!"
  • acbeacbe Member Posts: 16
    Do you prefer a certain gas station over another, or is 89/91 octane and higher the same quality across the board regardless of the gas station "company"? I've heard that the same company can have different quality gas delivered even to different locations within the same city. Please let me know your thoughts on this. Thanks much.
    There are so many summer formulations (which ususally have *some* impact on performance) that it's difficult to say specifically "where to buy what octane."

But, I have driven throughout the Northeast and have yet to get a "bad" tankful of Hi-test, so I guess that might be some evidence that it's all pretty much the same no matter where you buy it, even if it is a summer formulation. If you find a station with gas that doesn't make your engine knock or hesitate, stick with it.
  • explodiumexplodium Member Posts: 1
    I need to find some good forum sites dedicated to Honda/Acura general discussions and tuning, and for the RSX in particular, as I am considering buying one. Can anyone here reccomend some good sites to check out?
    The state got rid of it as it made people sick, and caused engine retardation..If your manual calls for premium 91 octane use it.
    A Volkswagen salesman told me with the 1.8 turbo he puts 87 0r 89 octane in GTI.
    However, he said my Type S being naturally aspirated needs 91 octane all the time.SO I use it not because of what he said but, because of manual.
    Seems to me that GTI will be needing a valve job running on anything but premium.IMHO
    What is it you want to know about the RSX? Perhaps try asking your questions here....

In the Helpful Links on the left side you'll also find direct links to a several other RSX discussions. Lastly, try putting the words "rsx" into the open Search box (left side) for a complete listing of active and archived RSX discussions throughout Town Hall. Good luck.

Revka
    Host
  • willg1961willg1961 Member Posts: 12
    I have a Type S and the manual calls for service every 5,000 miles. My dealer who has always been reliable schedules maintenance every 3,750 and includes free oil changes. Should I accept this system or should I be wary of doing additional services which may not be necessary over the life of the vehicle. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
    If you trust the guy and your car is under warranty why not go with him?
    I have my dealer do the warranty stuff only.Oil changes,pads,etc;I don't have dealer do.I keep my S perfect. Dealers are expensive I find.For instance my dealer wanted $600.00 for stoneguard shield.I went to Xpel and got it for $375.00 and had it installed for $100.00.
    Also, I keep all my receipts.
  • trevian2trevian2 Member Posts: 22
    Can anyone comment how the RSX type S handles in snow, slushy, icy, or rainy conditions? Can this car withstand some poor conditions, or is it only made to last in So. Cal.?
    FWD RSX + 4 snow tires = no problem.

Like any other car being driven in poor weather conditions, it's only as good as its tires.
    very well said my himiler friend.

I was surprised that the dealer didn't treat the leather surface in my RSX. Now what product do you guy recommend to clean and protect the leather inside a RSX. It's not soft leather.

What do you use for other area inside of the car. i don't even know what they are made of. I went to Canadian Tire(popular in Canada), and was amazed that there are cleaners for tire, rim, leather,rubber/venyl/plastic,carpet,body,mirror...and the all purpose ones. After taking a look I wasn't sure what to buy and left. That's called too many choices and it smells like a rip off.

I wonder if it's cheaper to wash yourself or just let some special shop do it for you.
    After the cracking and tearing of my last 3 Integs, I used Mc Quiers leather cleaner and softner.
    However,I think a good saddle soap or mink oil will serve the purpose to keep the leather supple.
    Go to a furnitue store like Lazyboy and ask what they use for a leather cleaner and conditioner.I got some cleaner and softner from them for my recliner and it works great.Going to try it on my S soon.
    Ya, I don't think the dealers do too much prepping.
    I had a clear plastic applied call stone guard to my type S . It's the same material put on propellars on aircraft.If you put it on your head lamps a 1oz.stone hurled at 100mph won't chip or crack it.
    Little did I know that a clear plastic is already polyed on your front lower unit and rear bumper. Go look at where rear bumper meets quarter panel and you will see vinal strip start 1/8 of inch and it covers the whole rear pan.
    I had it installed on hood and they screwed it up7/10/02 they are going to redo hood hoping it doesn't have to be painted out.
    To see the stuff go to www.xpel.com. Acura dealer calls it something else.Himler, I hope your'e reading this.
    Yeah, I'm reading it, all right. Damn, that's a bummer! Sorry to hear they messed your car up.
    I've been an Acura owner for nearly thirteen years and I love my Type S. Recent events, however, make it necessary for me to sell. It only has 3,000 miles and not a mark on it. Is there any way to post it properly on these boards? Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Advertising is not allowed in our Town Hall discussions. You may want to check out Edmunds' Used PowerShopper - Sell, or perhaps try Ebay or Yahoo classifieds. Also from Edmunds Advice Section, here an article on selling your used car that you may find helpful. Good luck.

Revka
    Host
    I'm finding the leather seat a bit uncomfortable on my tail bone. Has anyone else noticed this? It seems like the seat is a little soft perhaps. Any suggestions?
    If you don't plan on selling the car right away, you could always find an aftermarket seat.

Or, you could have a chocolate milkshake everday with lunch. That'll definately put a little extra padding between the seat bottom and your tailbone! ;)
    I went to a 2k trip this pas weekend, and I can tell my lower back wasn't confortable for this trip. Also my heavy friend made a mark on the back seat, just by sitting on a rectangular strip on his pants. The strip is made of fabric. It's like a superficial diagnolly positioned fabric on the side of his pocket. Now I have a big [non-permissible content removed] rectangular mark and distortion on the seat. The front seat seems to be harder than the back seat, so it was ok.

That means for long term trips wear cloth that are perfectly flat, expecially for back passenger.
    Anyone who can sit in the RSX's rear seat for 2,000km deserves either a medal for valor or a gift certificate to a chiropractor's office!
    You are right on!The lumbar support doesn't adjust properly and the seat has less padding.I'm yalking about the driver's seat.
This discussion has been closed.