Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RSX (All years/types)

Comments

• himilerhimiler Member Posts: 1,209
    The WRX may not be selling on its looks, but it sure is selling. 10% of all Subarus sold are WRX's. Not bad for a new guy!

As for the RSX's looks, if a 300M could lay an egg, it would look a lot like the RSX.
  • verozahlverozahl Member Posts: 574
    Latest crowd is pretty tough on the RSX. My biggest beef is that it's basically a Corporate Integra... the fourth-generation Integra was designed to fit in with CLs, TLs, and MDXs... and then they slapped on the RSX name for the American market to complete the project.

RSX front compares to WHAT Ford? I was in Ford country today and saw 'em all (ugh) and plenty of em at that (ugh). Explorer? no. Taurus? no. Mustang? no. What ARE you smoking?
    While the RSX is certainly derivative-looking, I'm also at a loss to see any Ford design DNA in it.
  • ranaldranald Member Posts: 147
    No, it (RSX, Si, whatever) does not look like a Focus, either in generalities or details. But just look at the reaction they get when they say it does.

In fact, it's really an amazing knee-jerk reaction. They get you all riled up by saying the whatever looks like a Focus. Are you that easily trolled?
  • kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    BTW, have you guys seen the CL, TL, RL, and NSX? If so, you would understand where the front lights of the RSX came from! Personally, I really like the new design. I wish they could have done more from back half of the side. It looks too generic. I Personaly like the front, and the rear.

In terms of RSX and WRX comparisons. All I have to do is compare my car (WRX) with two of my friends cars (RSX- Type-S and RSX Auto). Makes for a fun coversation.
    Or maybe it is the other way around. It sort of looks like Ford tried to make a cheap looking Civic clone.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    is the RSX valvetrain so loud? It rattles like an old diesel from the 70's - at least the one does that my coworker just bought. You can hear her start that car from across a pretty large parking lot!

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• beowulf7beowulf7 Member Posts: 290
    It must be an isolated case. My RSX-S sounds like a jet engine when I start it up. :) Now rattling at all. Your coworker should take the RSX to his dealer to see what's going on.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    maybe there is a difference between the sound of the two? I know that type S has a completely different head to achieve the extra hp.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

I recall from my two Integras that there was much more valvetrain noise in my GS-R than in the LS, both upon start-up and when driving.

It sounds more "busy" because it is.
  • eps4321eps4321 Member Posts: 3
    I'm looking at buying a new RSX-S. I found one that I like but the dealer tried to give me a number way over MSRP (I'm not trying to get black or blue) and I noticed on my test drive the car had over 500 miles on it already. I would not have minded paying MSRP if they obviously hadn't been trying to screw me but now I'm not sure what price to try and get, or whether to ask for a different car or just go to a different dealership.

What do you think would be a fair price for a RSX type S with over 500 miles on it? Would you even buy it at all?
  • beowulf7beowulf7 Member Posts: 290
    eps4321, I personally wouldn't get an RSX-S that's got that many miles. By law, I think the dealer has to call it "used" when it has over 100 miles. Or it might be a state law where I live. I wouldn't pay more than invoice for that car. I got my car for just a couple hundred over invoice, and other dealers were willing to match that.

BTW, I have the Type-S version of the RSX. :)
    A 2002 RSX-S demo car with 500 hard, test-drive miles on it for MSRP+? Considering that the 2003 models are already on the boat from Japan, one can only conclude that your dealer must have a surplus of Vaseline, and is anxious to use it all on you.

If you really like the car and don't mind paying MSRP for it, you might as well get a real "new" one that hasn't been abused.

If your dealer really wants to sell you a car, insist that A RSX-S in your color of choice be ordered, or located at another (nearby) dealer's lot. (Keep in mind, however, that you're far more likely to get a better deal if you don't care what color you end up with.)

If it's a dealer-locate car, you might also consider stipulating that the car be brought in on a flatbed (which might cost the dealer $500 or more) instead of being driven. Should the dealer balk, point out to the sales manager that this request wouldn't be considered outrageous if you were buying a $90,000 NSX, so why is it outrageous when you're paying MSRP for a RSX-S? Shouldn't the "Acura Buying Experience" be identical for the buyer of ANY new Acura? Since when did quality customer service at Acura become dependent upon the amount of money spent?

The RSX-S is a car that people can easily fall in love with. Just don't be blinded to what the dealer may be trying to put over on you.
  • sphinx99sphinx99 Member Posts: 776
    Where do you live? RSX-S does not sell at anywhere near sticker where I live, even with 2 miles on the odometer...
    Detroit area isn't the complete backwater, we have 4 Acura dealers. Now, a lot of places might have only good access to one dealer who might be in the position to say "take it or leave it." As for that deal, pass on it... 500 miles, MSRP+?! hahahaha funny, tell your dealer.
    Here's a better idea. Tell this dealer,

"Eh... for MSRP+ on a RSX-S, I can get a base 350Z, sorry :)"
    If the Acura dealer is also a Nissan dealer (like in Ann Arbor or Roseville), they'll laugh and say "no way you're gonna get a 350Z for that (similar to RSX-S) price!"
    Then you get a '03 Mustang Cobra and call it a day.
    Except that the 2003 Cobra can't be touched for less than $4000 over MSRP, which puts you close to 40 large. Not exactly RSX-S money.
    Give me a Cobra and I'd sell it to buy a RSX-S and pocket the difference in case Hyundai has a sale... I suggest a new Elantra if you need a quick Christmas gift to your local laid-off UAW worker.
  • fast_n_furiousfast_n_furious Member Posts: 6
    Acura needs to come out with a foor door RSX jus like they had for the integra. Also should think of adding Lim. Slip Diff. and Navi.
    Acura is bringing over the next sporty Euro-spec/JDM Accord as the "Acura TSX" which will fulfill its place as an entry-level luxosport sedan to take its place next to the RSX entry-level luxosport coupe. I think we will be pleased with the results.
  • toyotaboyesl1toyotaboyesl1 Member Posts: 38
    Hi, I just have a question about the back seat. Everyone is making it sound like the back seat in the RSX is basically useless. Is it really that bad? You can fit two people back there, can't you? I am thinking about getting this for my first car but I know I will be using the back seat sometimes. Also, this sportshift thing on here, I still don't quite get it. Is it basically automatic and manuel transmission together? If this is the case, that would be great! Because I want to just get an automatic just because it will make everything a lot easier. But I still would like manuel just to have some fun with sometimes.

Thanks!
    The back seat is actually useable. It is just that you have to bend your head sideways if you are over 5'8". I am 6' and have had no trouble back there except for my neck cramping up on long trips. The leg room is not great, but manageable, especially compared with a Camaro or a Celica.

The sportshift allows you to shift up or down gears, one at a time, without a clutch. It will always reset to 1 when you stop, and will upshift when you get close to redlining it.

The Manual is quicker than the Auto, especially when not in sportshift mode.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    If this is going to be your first car (and if you're a new driver), you should have no trouble sticking your teenage friends in the back seat. Yeah, people will moan and groan, but they'll get in. I also suggest that you get a car with a manual transmission. The Automatic is nice for sure, but the manual is much more fun! Even if you don't know how to drive stick, you'll get this car and learn within a few days. Hondas/Acuras are very easy sticks to drive (and cluthces to modulate).

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Elliott, my Integra is automatic and I'm quite happy with it. If you're comfortable with manuals, though, Honda and Mazda have good manual transmissions.

Re back seat: RSX is a bit different from the third-gen Integra, but I have used the back seat for friends. I'm about 6' and they range from 5'-8" or so to 6'-5" or so. Just don't ask them to sit back there for a road trip-!
    Hi, thanks for letting me know about all that. I was just talking to someone else on another message board and they said something about the RSX being extremely hard to insure, especially for a teenager. Is this true? Also they said that if the RSX is going to follow in the Integra's foot steps, it will for sure be on the "hot list"
    for stolen cars. What about that? If all this is true, I don't think I am going to get one, the last thing I need is to have my new car stolen or broken into by some jerk. Also, I don't want really high insurance, I need something nice with some low insurance, any ideas?

Thanks!
    Buy a Mazda P5. Lots of room for you and your pals, enough horsepower to have fun with (but not enough to get you into trouble), incredible handling, and low insuance rates (it's a wagon)!

The insurance rates on the RSX will blow you out of the water if you're under the age of 26.
    Thanks for the idea but I have researched the Pro5 and I really don't like it. It just looks ugly to me. I like the Matrix, is insurance to high on that? I might just get a used Honda Accord sedan, insurance should be low on that I guess. I don't know, I will go take another look at the Pro5.
    himiler, I don't seem to have problems with insurance rates on my Integra.

My parents like the Protege5. Ugh... miniwagons...

From Lexus ES now to used Honda Accord, Elliott, you're a character-!
    Yeah, I know that I quite a character. What can I say, I reason things out and change my mind a lot!
    I want I Lexus but can't afford one. That sucks!
    I guess I am not the only one like that. I can still get a used Lexus ES or GS, but I want a new one.
    Oh, you said you don't have insurance problems with your Integra? Now I am just confused about this, I just sure hope the insurance on the RSX isn't sky high still in 2005! That will probably around the time I would be getting one. Also, you have an Integra, are they pretty nice cars? I here a lot of good things about them. But remember, luxury is more inportant to me than a sports car. Also, what about the Integra/RSX commonly being stolen? Is this true? I sure hope not!
    Elliott, I park my car (with an expensive permit) in a public garage. No problems. Of course, it is a base model with an automatic, but I don't think GS-R and Type-R models are the only Integras that get stolen.

Of course, the insurance company doesn't know that the car is in Ann Arbor instead of Rochester Hills-!

Integra interiors? Well, extremely functional and well-built. Nothing fancy or overdone about them. My car is 15 months old now, but I never eat or drink in it and I have rubber floor mats that I take out and clean. Durability? Excellent interior pieces. I have a 'moquette' cloth interior, which has been great. Leather models are comfortable.

Seats in Integras aren't exactly the most comfortable for long long trips. If you plan to do road trips often, you will want something else if you have a fussy tushy.

RSX seats? They seem a little better than 3rd-gen Integras.
    Yeah, thanks for telling me that. My car wouldn't even be staying in a public garage, it would be staying at in my parents garage or driveway! I was just kind of worryed when I heard that. I am not sure why. I just was worryed about leaving it in a parking lot at school or if I run up to the store or to the mall or something where there will be other people around and tempted by that Acura beauty!:) If I get one, I will probably still get the RSX over the Integra just because it will cost less when I am ready to buy and I just want to get the current updated generation.
    I am listening to some guy over in a Corolla message board about how I need to get a heavy safer car instead of a little coupe or compact.
    Blah blah blah. I don't know, I guess a big heavy ugly Volvo is safer. Whatever!
    That has a great deal to do with insurance rates and theft. If you are in Southern California, both factors are going to be high (even though two of my friends bought one!). Call the insurance company and compare a few cars. That is what I did before I bought mine (it was not an RSX though). The RSX is more than a V6 Altima, if this gives you an idea, the Type-S is even more than that! Believe it or not, a WRX is less than a base RSX for insurance (I do not get it either!)

If you live in Michigan, get the RSX.
    Also, have you considered the Accord coupe? I know they are comming out with a new one in September, but the ones out now look pretty nice, and will have a nicer ride than the RSX (and quieter), while still being sporty.
    The WRX is less expensive to insure because it's a four-door (or five), performs at the top of its class in crash-testing, and Imprezas have very low theft rates.
  • waydewayde Member Posts: 198
    new subject... well, another suject - the always debated titanium v. ebony interior question. Problem is, you can't get ebony with the white exterior... comments about the titanium color sought here. IE: the good/bad, why you like/dislike, etc.
  • silverrsxs1silverrsxs1 Member Posts: 27
    May main reason for ruling out a red RSX-S was that I didn't want the titanium interior. It's not that it looks bad, it just doesn't look nearly as slick as the black treatment in the silver, blue and black models.

Also, light-colored leather gets grimy real fast.
  • michiganmanmichiganman Member Posts: 65
    toyotaboyesl1, I was the one asking about RSX theft rates. I posted links to Integra theft frequency rates on the internet. The fact that the Integra is an extremely stolen car (in fact, the most stolen car) is easy to verify - just look it up on any search engine. The question I had (which was never answered) was whether this applied to the RSX to the same degree, and whether RSX parts fit into the Civic the same way the Integra parts do.

On the plus side, I just bought a new RSX and was pleasantly surprised to see the insurance rates be reasonable. In fact, the Collision premiums were 3 times higher than the Comprehensive premiums (Comp covers theft). I am over 26 by the way. Obviously, your insurance rates will depend on where you live, as well as your age, etc.
    If you want a white over black RSX, buy a silver car and have it painted.
    I read that the RSX is predicted to have much lower theft rates than the Integra did for 2 reasons:
    1) the engine sits in a different position in the RSX - as to render it "useless" if anyone tried to put it in an Integra.
    2) the immobilizer system from the TL/RL is now standard on the RSX.
    Alot of Integras were stolen or "raped" for their parts to be used on other Integras or Civics, these 2 things should greatly decrease the incidences of this happening.
    Thanks wayde, that's exactly the type of information I was looking for, especially your first point.
    New topic: in my RSX manual, it states that the base RSX should get 5W20 oil (either conventional or synthetic), while the RSX-S should get 5W30. It goes on to say that you are allowed to add 5W30 to the base RSX, but that it should be replaced with 5W20 as soon as possible.

Doesn't 5W30 give better protection than 5W20? Why would the manufacturer recommend 5W20 over 5W30 in the base RSX?
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    while I'm sure himiler will chime in any minute, RSX parts are not swappable with Integra parts, but they are swappable with current Civic parts since both cars are built on the same platform. Give the new Civic & RSX a couple of years to hit the used car market and there will be an increase in thefts.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

engine would fit in the Civic bay (I know the Si has a version of the base RSX engine)... or that Honda engineered this somehow to not be doable... dunno for sure - just remember reading something from an Acura release about the theft/engine problem and this is just what I recall.
    I live in the North Florida/South Georgia area kind of near the coast (not too close) if that has anything to do with insurance. I have really considered the Honda Accord coupe and sedan and I still love it. That will probably be the car that I get if I don't get the RSX or Corolla. I might get a Matrix too. I guess I should face the fact that I am not getting a Lexus for my first car! Thanks for letting letting me know all about the RSX/ Integra getting stolen and all. I really like the new 2003 Accord but the '98-'02 ones are still nice too.
    You should be cross-shopping the RSX and the Celica, not the RSX and the 2003 Corolla, Elliott.

Acura warranty is one year longer and it's a bit more upscale of a name than Toyota or Honda. If I should do so, my 2001 Integra should last until the end of this decade. You want something that will last and not cause any headaches in the long run. That's the point of having a car... driving it, not trying to fix it (now, if you have a computer, getting Windoze to work thesedays, that's different)!
    Ok, well by the end of this decade I probably won't even want a little sports coupe. That is why now I am thinking about getting the new Accord if it is not too expensive. It will be much more useful to me because it is bigger. It still is sporty too. I also will look into the Altima. There is no more comparison between RSX and Celica because I have decided that if I get a coupe the RSX is the one for me. I like the 350Z the best but it is out of my price range unfortulatly. I think a sedan will best suit me if I will be keeping it a while. I do have a sister that is 2 years younger than me and I might be able to talk her into taking an RSX or something when she can drive so then I can get a sedan but I don't want a little car for a long time. I think the Matrix might be a good choice for me and I am going to start looking into it. Actually, I might just wait even longer than three years so I can get a Lexus that I would be happy to keep for as long as possible. I know that I have bored you to death by now so I will stop. Just give me your feedback on those ideas.
    Looks to have a really nice interior (ES), will be fairly quick, even with the 4-cylinder, will be extremely quite, and will have a nice ride. Maybe that car, or the sedan (2003) is the car to wait for. Expect the ES 4-cylinder to be around $20K, but should have most of the luxury you wanted in a Lexus with better seats.
    That is why the 2002 Lexus ES300 as of right now is my favorite car ever made. I hope I can get one. If not, I will just get the '03 Accord.
    That message above here, I thought you were talking about the Lexus ES300, not the Honda Accord EX!
This discussion has been closed.