Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RSX (All years/types)

Comments

• kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    The new Accord will have tailbone-finding seats. Expect these seats to be very comfortable. I am not sure if you have seen pictures of the New Accord's interior (EX), but it is very nicely done and very luxurious!
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Interesting discussion here, but I gotta ask that we please focus more on the topic of this discussion. Okay? If you'd like to continue discussing vehicles other than the RSX, feel free to start up a new discussion on this board. "RSX vs. other cars" or "Hatchback vs. Sedan" would be interesting new topics for this board.

Toyotaboyes- You may also get some helpful feedback in our Which Hatchback? and/or Best Hot Hatch discussions. Good luck with your decision.

And now, back to the subject of the Acura RSX! Thanks for your participation. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • toyotaboyesl1toyotaboyesl1 Member Posts: 38
    Hi Revka, thanks! And sorry for getting off the subject of the RSX.
    I have seen the inside and outside of the new Accord and it is a beautiful car. The inside kind of resembles the ES300.
    Sorry for getting off topic again, I will shut up now!
  • joe249joe249 Member Posts: 95
    When I bought my Type S which I gave to my daughter for my GSR back I put the dealers S through it's paces.Redlined it 1,2,3,but I never liked it from day one no torque.Plus knotcy shifting,blind spots etc.
    Got a letter from dealer asking if I want to spend $4800.00 for a kit AEM.I told him no I driving a real machine now a 98 GSR.Soon to own a BMW5,sorry Himler couldn't wait but,I'm keeping the real Integ. Honda doesn't get it.
  • cverd18cverd18 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought my RSX 2 weeks ago. I love it. I have to cargo net bought seperatly and I can't figure out how to hook the bottom portion of the net to the hatchback. It came for extra hooks and screws but as you can see I'm not mechanicaly inclined. The net swings back and forth and drives me nuts. Is there anyway to secure to bottom of the net. HELP THE NEWBIE!!!
  • himilerhimiler Member Posts: 1,209
    michinganman--the base RSX uses a lighter oil than the Type-S becuse it doesn't rev as high, meaning that the oil doesn't have to be as resistant to high-temp breakdown. While I can't see what harm could be done to the RSX engine by using 5W30, it's probably best to stick with Acura's instructions on this matter.

cverd18--the instructions that came with my Prelude's cargo net showed that you have to drill holes into the trunk floor to secure the lower fasteners. Not being too excited about putting holes in the bar's body, I elected to skip this step. As a result, I have slightly more "hard" cargo space, becuse the net can be positioned easier.

I can see how the your net moving back and forth while driving could bug you (mine's in the trunk, and I don't hear it), so now you know how to fix it. Just make sure you use a little touch-up paint or primer on the bare metal in the holes you drill before you mount the fastener hardware.

Wayde--funny as it may sound, there're a greater number of RSX parts that will fit on a CR-V than on the current Civic.

joe249--getting the M5? *gulp* Damn! I can't begrudge you for a minute on that choice! (Shhhhh! Not so loud about the GS-R being a better drive than the RSX-S. You'll make some folks around here upset!) ;D
  • beowulf7beowulf7 Member Posts: 290
    Well, himiler just have you a heads up, so I'll be one of the folks that gets more upset. Well, not really ;-), but just wanted to probe you one one of your comments about GS-R vs. RSX-S:

"Redlined [the RSX-S] 1,2,3,but I never liked it from day one no torque."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Integra GS-R have *less* torque than the RSX-S? and it surely red-lined at a lower RPM.

I used to drive an Integra LS for 3 years. Obviously, not a GS-R, but aside from its cute appearance, lower roofline, and double round headlights, I don't really miss it now that I have the RSX-S :)
  • acbeacbe Member Posts: 16
    Verozahl: Regarding posts #1307/1315...I couldn't agree with you more!! I have the type S and still Love it even more each day!!!

toyotaboesl1: Before you purchase a vehicle, DEFINITELY, base your decision on your insurance cost 1st and then on your monthly payments. I live on the west coast...being 25, I still pay over $700 every 6 months...and THAT'S WITH a CLEAN driving record!!!!! :( Does 26 really bring it down significantly?? Anyone know????

As far as bashing the RSX, I just have to say that it really depends on personal opinion...I have mistaken the new civic fronts for Rsx's before but I still love the overall RSX look...especially with the spoiler. I have not had any problems yet. I bought mine in March 2002, it has ~4600 miles, and the only thing I have an issue with is 2nd gear being notchy. The dealer didn't notice it and from everyone I've talked to, it's pretty normal......
  • verozahlverozahl Member Posts: 574
    Hah, Kristina, I don't remember what I said, but I'm glad you're happy. Where you cross-shopping with the Celica, Eclipse, and Tiburon? If so, I definitely recommended the RSX as out far beyond the other three.

Enjoying my Integra LS, no real RSX envy here. But as I said, the RSX is the number one choice in this market, with the Celica behind quite a bit at number two (it's a bit overpriced I believe).

In case anyone is still curious, I'm waiting (probably for a long time, eh!) for the next sport coupe wave to replace the golden years of the Preludes, 240SXs, and MX-6s.
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    That Prelude was a fun car, but MX-6? I'm with you on the 240sx.
    Prelude for FWD, Silvia/240SX for RWD.
    But tell me more about the MX-6 aka Ford Probe. How does that make it to your hit list?
    Probe and MX-6 look good, drive well. Not the best "performance" machines but I don't see why we could put them, or the pre-2000 Avenger or Eclipse, into the rankings.

Used to be a lot of competition. Now, there is the RSX and Celica at the top, the Eclipse porkin' out in right field, and the Tiburon chasing its own tail.
    If I were going to compare the Probe/MX-6 to any current car, it would have to be the

To me, the old Avenger, and the current Eclipse are basically the same car.

I think if you look at today's lineup (and I'm going to include hatchbacks, because they are coupes too)

RSX, Celica, Eclipse, GTI, Mini, Tiburon, I'm sure I'm leaving out some others. From a looks and performance standpoint, this group is much stronger than the cars you mentioned.

That being said, I wish that somebody would come out with a RWD sports coupe. (non muscle-car, C-coupe doesn't count)
    I'm assuming you're a female if you're name is indeed Kristina. At least in NJ, there's a big price drop in insurance when the driver turns 25, but nothing at 26 or beyond, until maybe age 30. There's another drop when the driver gets married. Also, males pay more (sometimes much more) than females. So I think your $1400/yr. coverage in CA is not too bad at all. You can always get married (if you haven't already) to further drop your rate, lol.
  • acbeacbe Member Posts: 16
    Thanks for the info, I will keep that in mind beowulf7, lol! ;)

Verozahl: I test drove the Celica (hated it), Eclipse(okay, but there are too many out there already), Tiburon (it's a Hyundai...), Nissan Sentra SE-R(not), Volkswagon GTI(appearance didn't do much for me). Everytime I test drove another car, I kept comparing it to my 1st test drive, which was the type S. Even the base RSX model couldn't compare with the type S! ...despite other's opinions, I'm really happy with my final decision! :)
    What's left for me to say? The post-2000 Eclipse is a porker that looks and drives like a Pontiac. The 2002 Celica is better than the 1999 Celica, but only if you love that extrovert styling and the high-rev engine. Tiburon's current model is the best yet, although I always thought the Scoupe was cool (and so was the Paseo).

Prelude or Silvia (240SX in US market) for me would be upgrades from the Integra (now known the RSX here). Prelude gone, Silvia gone as of this month production stopped in Japan, I believe. The 240SX was the last RWD sport coupe I wanted. MX-6 is FWD, Prelude is FWD, Integra/RSX is FWD, I'm sure I'm missing something (unless the Paseo is RWD! >;p).
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I have seen some RS-Xs on the street, and I really like the way they look. I now have a 2002 Jetta 1.8T, and have been having more than a fair amount of trouble with it. I can sell the car and break even though, and was thinking about the RS-X. I know it will last forever, because it's a Honda. But I have some concerns...

How is the fuel economy? Does the base model take premium or regular gas? How much room does the back seat have, more than the Jetta or less (it's small back there)? Do you get a free loaner car when your car is in for service? Just curious.

Thanks in advance for the help.
    Gas mileage on the Base RSXs - upper 20s to low 30s, depending on your driving. I think it averages around 28 or so. It uses Regular gas as well.

Back seat is actually not bad, if you do not mind bending your head to the side (lack of head room!)

Service - no clue.
  • fast_n_furiousfast_n_furious Member Posts: 6
    all acuras give a loaner if your car is in for service
  • ratass_2002ratass_2002 Member Posts: 17
    Two weeks ago I did my first oil change at around 6600km. One day later on a Saturday I drove in the direction of NC. In the middle of my trip on the fast lane, I heard something bouncing under my car, and some smoke coming from behind my car.
    I pulled my car on the emergency shoulder, and get it towed to a Acura dealer. My tow guy(former mechanic, and the dealer) told me that the engine's oil tank's plug(where you drain the engine oil) was missing, so they gave me a used one(cause the service shop was closed), and I filled in some oil and got to NC safely. Now in NC I changed oil and ask Performance Acura in Chapel Hill(very nice and polite ppl there:) to do a basic check on the car and made another oil change, they also added a washer for the drain plug.

At my dealer in Canada, they listened to my car and concluded at this point there is nothing wrong with the engine. They also noted on paper that for a more complete check they will need to take the engine apart to look at each piece.

Now that's the story, and I am very pissed at my dealer. Basically I want to know what can I do get some compensation for this incident. Right I want either extend my engine warranty, a new engine, or return the damn car to the dealer and get a Lexus or something.

I talked to one of the service ppl at the dealer and he told me to wait for the service manager to come back from the vacation. I talked to Honda Canada, and they said it's all dealer's fault they won't do anything, but they logged my story( I am not sure if that rep was writting everything down, but I got his name and phone extention). I talked to the Sale's Manager at the dealer and he won't do anything because there is apparently nothing wrong with the car. He's only point is that if there is something wrong with the engine then it will not last 100,000km(which is the coverage for my engine). Is this point proven or something or it's just a [non-permissible content removed] statement to scare the un-learned:p After a long talk with him he said I have to talk to the serive manager because he has nothing to do with what is happening on the service department. I will have to talk to the service manager on Monday but I have the impression that nothing will get resolved.

On top of all this no apologies from any one at the dealer or at Honda Canada. No respect for the customer. At lest I made the sale's manager say that the mistake they've made was a serious mistake:D

I really need suggestions of how to approach this problem. Will this get more action with a lawer at my side? Liability on the safety of the car, liability on my life, and liability to cause accident, all because of a little plug...sigh.
    Did your oil light come on? If not, your engine is fine. I had an oil filter pop off my '98 Civic hatch while driving it, and managed to get the car turned off before the warning light came on, and it suffered no injury.

If it did come on, I would demand that they comp you the full-blown Acura extended warranty for your car, which will cover you if your engine decides to grenade itself down the road.

If they refuse, talk to a lawyer. The dealer is responsible for the cost of tearing-down, inspecting, and replacement of any damaged engine part, while at the same time making sure you have a safe and reliable vehicle to drive at their expense.

Good luck!
    Since I would definitely have to get automatic if I got an RS-X, how is the acceleration? I have a 2002 1.8T Jetta now, so I know it will be slower probably. Thanks.
    I test-drove an auto and found the acceleration pretty weak. When I moved the shifter to the manu-matic position, acceleration became much more brisk. My friend who bought the automatic said that the transmition was in learning mode, and the car became much more lively by slamming down on the gas-pedal (at least after driving it a few times). Nice car.
  • tmc1688tmc1688 Member Posts: 28
    Sorry to hear about your misfortune on a brand new car. There should be no damage to your cars engine if you shut it down before it quits on its own. I had a friend with the same situation. Everything was fine on her Honda Accord. By the way they don't have to take apart the engine to inspect it piece by piece. They can use a method called "boroscoping the engine" for inspection. They are bluffing you! Make them check it, that way you can put your mind at ease. Boroscope is using a slender tube with a eye piece moving around inside the engine visually checking the main parts for damage. Easier and more sensible than taking the whole engine apart for examining.
    Thanks for your responses. The reason I thought about the RS-X is because I know it's a Honda product, and should be pretty reliable.

I am currently dealing with the MD Attorney General's office and VW, trying to come to a solution that will please both of us. I wouldn't be looking for a couple months anyway, just trying to keep my options open.

Since you have been so helpful, I have one more question. I am 6'3 myself and 280lbs. or so, so I wonder if the RS-X will accommodate me? And a friend who rides with me alot is 6'4, will there be enough leg room in the passenger seat? Also, how are the back seats in handling child seats? My best friend has 2 toddlers who ride with me occasionally, and was just wondering.

Thanks again for all your help.
    There were complaints about head room for a 6'5" guy earlier in the discussion. I am guessing, it is probably fine, but not sure. You may want to test-drive it. I am 6' 185" and was very comfortable, with plenty of headroom in it. In terms of the rear seats. The main problem is head room. Again, I do not know about child seats, but suspect with proper twisting and bending, it will support todler seats. Again, the question is headroom.

Maybe take a look at the Mazda 6 when it comes out? It too is supposed to be sporty, has a great reputation for reliability, and has 4-doors. I would suggest a WRX, except that it's power train has never been offered to the U.S., and turbos generally are more maintenance and require more up-keep. I can say this, the car has a ton of headroom, and has hooks for babyseats.
    I checked out a WRX, but don't really care for its interior. The Mazda6 looks promising as well, and I have had good experience with 2 Proteges that I had before this Jetta. But I wanna wait a year for them to work out the bugs, and to bring over the hatchback as well. I will have mine in yellow with V6 and automatic, please... :)
  • redwasabiredwasabi Member Posts: 1
    I test drove the RSX and was taken aback by the over the shoulder visibility. I felt like there was none. It's the first coupe I've driven, so that's perhaps why, but it made me feel leary about the car. Up to that point, I was almost sure that the RSX was the car for me, since I really liked the styling and interior.

Do you just get used to the visibilty? Or is something that you need to accomodate for when you're driving? How is visibility like when driving in rain/snow? Just would like to hear your experience with this. I am trying to make my decision....
    Is there a way you can bring the kids over with you for a test drive? Assuming there is a dealer near you, I would be surprised if the Acura dealer did not let you test drive the vehicle to see if you would fit.
    All I would actually need would be the child seats to see how hard it is to put them in the back of the car. I am sure the dealer would not have a problem letting me install the child seats in the car while test driving. Since I am still working with my current car, that it something I will think about down the road. Thanks for the suggestion though.
    Usually after you drive a car for awhile, you get used to the difference in visibility and stuff like that. But if the blind spot is that big a problem for you, then you might consider buying something else. Remember, this is a purchase you are going to have to live with for awhile. If you don't like it every time you drive, it's going to make you miserable.

Also, coupes like the RS-X tend to have reduced over-the-shoulder visibility. So keep that in mind. It's a down point of the curvy styling.
  • michiganmanmichiganman Member Posts: 65
    redwasabi, one sure way to make yourself feel better about the RSX blind spots: test drive a Celica.
    I think "Celica" is pig latin for "blind spots."
    My cousin used to have one of these. I actually got used to the blind spots after I drove it a couple of times. Talk about a noisy engine though! His was only a GT automatic, but the engine sounded like it was going to come through the front of the car when you floored it. The car handled like a race car though. I miss that ride sometimes... :)
    For those of you who are complaining about the RSX blind spot, check out revdrluv's post # 1398 in the RSX vs. WRX forum:
    ateixeira "Acura RSX Type-S Versus Subaru WRX" Aug 26, 2002 3:33pm

He explains how to adjust your side mirrors to all but eliminate those nasty blind spots.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    all-too-common complaint of poor visibility in coupes, and the fact that carmakers are currently into building more hatches and four-door hotted-up small sedans, it is unlikely that the number of coupes is growing too quickly any time soon, IMO...

Vero is mean to celicas! :-(

But yes, they DO handle like race cars, a little noise and blind spot be darned!

I drove my friend's base RSX again the other day, and I have to say, I don't know how anyone could sit there with a straight face, and say that the RSX is smooth and quiet but the celica "sounds like the engine is coming thru the front of the car". These two are very much the same in the noise department, I think. In fact, I would say the RSX has a little MORE noise coming from the tires and the wind. In the celica, the biggest noisemaker by far is the tires.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Stuart's assertion is very interesting. This "verozahl" character is horrible, really, some sort of Honda fanatic or something. Let me roll back in my chair and stare at the ceiling...

... hmm...

WAIT! I think I got it! He's an Integra guy! that's why!

Celica guys and Integra guys in Japan are like Camaro vs. Mustang, you know. [Acura RSX = Honda Integra]

Displacement in the Celica engine is 1.8L whereas the RSX now has a 2.0L unit. Thus, the Celica could be expected to be the higher revver and make more noise.

But the rest of the comments make sense... and for anyone to cross-shop Celica vs. RSX based on noise is ... well, silly!

Vero's made a lot of comments about Toyota and Nissan, but, he's hoping that the price on the 2004/5 Supra isn't too high-! >:)

And if Nissan had a "250SX" S16 Silvia, oh, would I want it!!! oh so badly. RWD, too!

RSX is a nice sport coupe, but, Honda has effectively killed the Civic/Integra/Prelude triad by their own negligence. Idiots.
    Toyota, of course, went from making a ton of nice coupes to producing mostly SUVs/vans/Buick imitators. The Celica is the only car in the lineup I care about. If you would have asked me about Toyota in the mid-1990s, I would have said "oh MR2 coupe or Supra... gotta have!"

Mutant-Pikachu styling of the 2000-2003 Celica doesn't make my brother pause; it's the car he wants. Yes, the quad-headlights of the Integra are "an acquired taste" but so where those on the late 1990s Celica.

I'm reallllll sure that the lack of side-molding and a decent center console in the RSX are "acquired tastes" too! >:(
  • joe249joe249 Member Posts: 95
    Same thing aren't they?Also, got to agree w/Vero
  • ranaldranald Member Posts: 147
    They're similar, part of the same 'family', the K series.

The RSX-S, RSX base and Civic Si use the K20, in different variations. Displacement is 2.0 liters.

The CRV engine is the K24, 2.4 liter displacement by virtue of being longer stroke than the K20. Puts out more torque but possibly less peak hp because of a lower rev limit.
  • ratass_2002ratass_2002 Member Posts: 17
    The service manager at my Acura dealer called up today and agreed to extend the warrenty at no cost on the engine to 160,000km. I just want to demonstrate that there is hope in a situation where everything seems hopeless and everybody seems to be an [non-permissible content removed]. Check msg #1384 for the original story.

I must agree this dude is very polite and knows how to please a customer. Also he's the only person who actually apologized for their negligence to me since the incident. I am touched to the tears now;)sniff - lol.
    Sounds like you came out okay on this one. Good for you!
  • dmgstewartdmgstewart Member Posts: 20
    Just wanted to respond on the toddler/child seat question.

I have a quite tall 2.5 year old (3'4") who joins me frequently in my RSX-Type S. He sits in a booster seat, which goes in with absolutely no problem. I would think seats for smaller kids (front or rear facing) would go in fine as well, especially with the LATCH connectors.

In fact, the rear seats are perhaps more suited to kids than large adults! I also like it because the rear seats have cup holders in the side armrests, which is perfect for him, and his juice/milk.

The only caveat is that you need to watch for small hands when closing the rear hatch - when it's open, they can reach up and put their hands on the hatch rim.

Cheers,

Mike

PS - I've now had the car for about 3 months and love it. I also test drove the Jettas, and think the RSX has far more leg room in the back seat. The head room's actually not that different IMHO - when I sat in the back of the Jetta, my head also hit the liner when I sat straight up, and I'm only 6'....
  • rockbottomrockbottom Member Posts: 2
    How much can my son expect to see discounted on a new RSX Auto base model? The msrp is about 22,500
    Are we talking '02 or '03? If it's an '02, you should be able to walk that puppy home for under $20K without trying hard.

For an '03, you might be able to knock off $500-1000, but not much more.
  • rockbottomrockbottom Member Posts: 2
    My son would like to wait until next spring and buy a 2003, but on the other hand he needs a car by November and he may decide to save some money and purchase it now. This would be an automatic with some add ons. MSRP would be in the range of 21,500-22,000.
    It looks like your son has a decision to make, then.

Since there are not any changes between the '02 and '03 models, I'd advise he jump on a suitable '02 and pocket the savings. If he's not planning on loading the car up with too many dealer-installed options, he shouldn't have any trouble negotiating a price somewhere in the low-$19K range.

Make sure he gets the car for a price he's happy with BEFORE he starts adding optional equipment. That way, he's aware exactly how much each add-on is going to cost him.
  • andrewdnaandrewdna Member Posts: 32
    I was wondering which RSX to choose from. The type is or not. Dont both start off at the same speed and are neck in neck, until a certain mph before the Type S pulls away?
    Check the Acura RSX brochure. They show the HP and torque plots as a function of RPM. The base actually has a little bit more HP and torque at lower revs. But once it flattens off, the Type-S' HP keeps shooting up until it peaks out at 7400 RPM!

So if you're a driver who'll shift before 5 krpm, then the base trim will actually be a little faster (plus, base is also lighter than the Type-S). But for the true enthusiast who basks in iVTEC - shifting past or near the redline - the Type-S wins.
  • welst10welst10 Member Posts: 49
    Hi all, I am considering buying an automatic Celica (base model GT) or Acura RSX (base model). But is there any data on the 0-60 of these two cars? Which one is faster? Consumer Reports only has data on the GT-S and type-S. Also, which car has more space (both cockpit and trunk)? Thanks alot for your input.
This discussion has been closed.