Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RSX (All years/types)

Comments

• rascalloverascallove Member Posts: 28
    what kind of car do you drive. Im 17 and my mom said she is going to get me a new car. I'm going to get a 03accord coupe EX v6 auto or rsx leather auto. I like the rsx cuz it small and look nice. I like the accord cause it come with navigation system and I more room. Got any suggestions?
  • kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    I did not think it was out yet.

Kevin - Are you looking for a sporty type car or a comfortable cruiser? Do you mainly drive on the highway, or on side streets? Do you usually drive short distances (10 miles or less)?

The Accord is faster 0-60, is quieter, and probably has a nicer interior.

The RSX is sportier, better handling (probably even if you do get the supposed sports package that is comming out for the Accord coupe) and is generally more fun to drive.

The Accord will be much quieter and have a much better ride, especially on the highway. Does that help?

Oh, finally, an RSX is MUCH cheaper (~+$5K)
    The rsx and accord have good resale value that why I want either of them. I would get an acura type S but it stick and i'm not allowed 2 get stick. The acura rsx with leather auto is only 160 horse and i don't think that is enough power. The new midsize accord is big and expensive 30k+. My sister just got the new altima 3.5SE and I want a coupe now cause my sister has a sedan. My sister and me can always swtich cars. I wanted a 325ci but it cost alot for a new one. My mom won't let me buy used cars cause she said there lemons. What other car do you think are good and have good resale value that you recommend?
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    Not all used cars are lemon. I suggest you look at cars no older than 3 years and with less than 35,000 miles on them. There's a good chance that these cars were leased (*coughBMW3Seriescough*) and the owner took very good care of them. But of course, if your mom insists on getting you a new car, don't fight it!
  • preludexlpreludexl Member Posts: 33
    I heard the base has a nicer ride on the freeway. Is this true? Also, what's the big deal between the two if there really is no noticeable difference until what, 5600 rpm? I rarely rev that high and not sure I really want to unless I cant pass the sucker next to me. I go out of state every week driving 520miles and I really want something both sporty and with a decent ride. I found the 02 civic sedan has a better ride than the RSX or is it just me?
  • silverrsxs1silverrsxs1 Member Posts: 27
    I actually had to drive home in a base, since the guy who issued inspection stickers had gone home for the day and my car was fresh off the truck (1 mile on the ODO!).

While the base is a fine car, it's not nearly as responsive and rev-happy as the S. You'd be surprised how easy it is to rev the S past 5 and even 6 thou. By comparison, the base starts to grumble a little when you spin it up near redline.

No knock on the base (or the SI, for that matter, which I think represents and awesome value and can look really good with the right wheels) but you do get substantial value for the extra $$ that you drop on an S. I suspect most Type S owners spool their engines up into the fun zone at least once a day, and it feels well worth it.

I also found the six-speed in the S to be a bit more buttery and short than the base five speed. And while a stiffer demeanor may not be a plus to everyone, the S also feels more bolted down than the base.
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    anyone had their RSX for a little while yet? my old 96 Integra GS-R, within a year, had some interior issues. The plastic piece (door panel) started to "bubble" and get kind of "loose" feeling when closing the doors. It started rattling and getting buzzy too. Nothing compared to the 5 speed that car had in it though....

Does the new RSX feel more "substantial"? Does it feel like quality? Anyone beat theirs up and it can take it with no problems?

Thanks. Also, does anyone know, the Integra had major insurance issues - everyone stole the wheels. Do the RSX's have the problem? I would guess that a base RSX feels more powerful than the old GS-R, right?
  • himilerhimiler Member Posts: 1,209
    A base RSX might "feel" more powerful than your GS-R (due to the intake cam phasing), but it ain't.

I found the RSX to have the same thin feeling as my GS-R, which is nice if you want to chase corners, but not so great for freeway cruising. The RSX is still pretty loud, with a nervous ride on rough pavement, and has an interior that shows some penny-pinching on the part of Acura. Remember, it's still an entry-level car with major portions of Civic DNA.

You'll see higher-than-average insurance rates for the RSX (just like the GS-R) due to the simple fact that it's a speedy coupe. As for thieves, it won't be long before the K20 engine in the Type-S becomes the holy grail for guys looking to juice their new Civics on the sly.
    That was a major problem with integras. That you could easily swap in an integra motor into a Civic chassy. I thought Honda changed that with the RSX where the engines are incompatible with the Civics without major modifications. At least that is what I thought I read in the L.A. times when they were reporting the theft rates of Integras.

Agree with your analysis of the RSX, even though for the price, it is tough to beat the package of luxury and performance you get!
  • sgrd0qsgrd0q Member Posts: 398
    The RSX and civic engines turn in the opposite directions. You no longer can swap them.
    I misspoke: The RSX-S engine won't work in the current Civic sedan or coupe, but it will bolt directly into a Civic Si.

Then again, Honda isn't selling too many of those, so there's little need for concern on that point.

However, look for the next Civic to share the K-series motor with all the other models on the Global Small Car Platform.
  • beowulf7beowulf7 Member Posts: 290
    rascallove, I have the 2002 Acura RSX Type-S. I've had it for over 5 months now and really love it. The Type-R spoiler I bought and installed gives it that extra sporty look. And the 200 HP is plenty sporty enough.

preludexl, I think it's just you. If you think the Civic has a better ride than the RSX, then I think you might want to get a GM car, since its suspension is even softer. Nothing wrong w/ that, I guess. The RSX (either trim) is w/o a doubt a "sportier" (and hence stiffer) ride than any Civic.

Also, since you (preludexl) don't like to rev the engine, you're better off w/ a 6-cyl engine. Again, I might recommend a Grand Am GT since that's the type of ride I think you'd like (very soft suspension and large engine).

silverrsxs1, I agree about having a hard time to resist the temptation to wind up the engine to the 7,900 RPM red line. And w/ the Type-S, there's a noticeable boost one feels right around 6 krpm. :)
  • wateverwatever Member Posts: 7
    Was just reading thru all the posts ... saw this
    from Muffin_Man:

If I were going to compare the Probe/MX-6 to any current car, it would have to be the

The car wasn't mentioned ... I am assuming it was the RSX. I currently drive an MX-6 that I have enjoyed for the past 10 1/2 years. It is time for something new. Like what I have read about the RSX. Any comments???? any other suggestions?
  • preludexlpreludexl Member Posts: 33
    Whats the best price for a base or type S RSX nowadays. Can you get one at invoice?
  • acbeacbe Member Posts: 16
    Hey, I couldn't have said it better myself. I love the stiffer suspension!! The Type S seems to "hug the road" MUCH better than the base RSX. I've had my Type S for exactly 7 months now and you're right, I do rev it up at least once a day...I just can't help it!! ;)
    If you put your ear to the hood of your RSX, you can hear it calling very softly..."cold air intake...20 horsepower...I'm choking on all this hot air...help me, beowulf..."

If 200hp is plenty, 220 sounds good and plenty to me!
    LOL. I'm tempted to get the CAI, but I want to stick to my budget that I allocated for mods. Unfortunately, CAI, cat-back exhaust/muffler, and header didn't make the list for this year. :(

BTW, does the CAI really add 20 HP? I'm pretty sure others have said (especially on clubrsx.com) it only adds about 6, maybe 7 HP, according to various dynonometer tests.
  • rk922rk922 Member Posts: 22
    Just wondering whether the 'manual'-mode of the Sportshift can be used all the time, or would it be bad for the tranny?
    Depending on your driving habits, using the SportShift to engine brake all the time could potentially cause damaging heat build-up in the tranny.

Besides, if you wanted to shift the auto transmission like a manual 24/7, a manual would have been the obvious choice from the get-go.
    Thanks, but I thought that the Sportshift is quite idiot-proof, and just wondering if it could be used day-in/day-out like a manual tranny. If engine braking is done properly, would it, in fact, damage the engine? If that's the case (will damage), what is the difference of engine braking in a manual tranny car?

The RSX only comes with Sportshift tranny in Hong Kong.
    "The RSX only comes with Sportshift tranny in Hong Kong. "

- Hu? Are you talking about an auto like the one on the M3 or an auto with the feature to shift up and down gears like on the Acura CL and TL? The RSX most certainly does have the latter version of auto-shifting in the states.

- Also, the Sportshift will automatically bump you up or down if you overstress the tranny (rev too high or too low.
  • clogoodieclogoodie Member Posts: 4
    I think what rk922 meant is that in HK, the RSX is only available with SS, they arent offered with manual...

I find that the only times I use SS are when I'm showing someone the car for the first time...or when I'm first in line at a stoplight or sign, and theres some open space and a decent speed limit in front of me...accelerate, shift up to the speed i want, then flip over to auto. repeat at next stoplight/sign... : )
    Yes, I confirm that in Hong Kong the RSX only has the Sportshift (which is the automatic with the clutchless 'manual' function). There is no Type S either.

Also, the Sportshifter doesn't bump you up a gear if you over-rev, it just cuts the gas. It will downshift automatically to 2nd (I think, or was it 1st?) when you stop the car if you didn't downshift yourself from a higher gear. I don't think that it downshifts automatically if you are just slowing down.

clogoodie>

But do you think that you would damage your tranny if you used the Sportshift all the time?
    Based upon reported (and acknowledged by Honda) SS problems in the Prelude and Acura TL/CL, I'd have to think that using the SS feature continually in high-load situations (downshifting into the upper end of the rev range) would increase wear.

The RSX is lighter than the Prelude/TL/CL, and has less torque to be managed by the torque converter, but I don't get as good a feeling about Honda's manually-controlled automatics as I would about one from Mercedes or Audi.
  • clogoodieclogoodie Member Posts: 4
    Honestly, I don't know...I don't know anything about the SS problems himlier references...and I don't know enough about how the SS actually works to give you an answer. For how I use it, it feels fine...and I'd be inclined to think that if you didn't do things like downshift into very high revs constantly, you'll be alright. I was also under the impression that SS was idiot-proof...

So can i ask why you'd want to use the SS at all times?

Himlier...I'd prob trust the Honda SS over a Hyundai one, lol...
    I'd like to use the SS all the time just for the feel of a manual and its benefits (engine braking/less brake use, better control, faster).

PS The 5 spd manual isn't an option because it's not idiotproof enough for me HAHA!
    I'm really thinking of buying very soon and I was wondering how much leeway I can bargain, in percentage terms. I mean, roughly, what were the starting asking price from your dealer and how much did you manage to knock down the price in percentage terms?

Thanks!
    Like www.cars.com (if available where you live), carsdirect.com, autoweb.com, autobytel.com.

From there, you can usually pit dealers against each other. From autobytel.com, I was offered an RSX auto for $19,300 including destination. Usually, you can get the price close to invoice. Especially if it is not a hot model. If it is (like an RSX-S around in California), then there will not be much room for barganing, and you will probably have to pay close to MSRP.
    by you. Try to work up from there (or down from there if you can). If you have a good price to start with, it is easier to negotiate. Do not go into the dealer looking to buy right off the bat. Make them work for your business!
    Thanks for the sites. Unfortunately, there is usually only 1 dealer per car brand in Hong Kong, so playing one dealer off of another can't be done here. Acura is represented by only one dealer, so it's basically a monopoly. They do still have an open ear for a little 'bargaining', so just wondering how much I can reasonably expect. Guess you guys have it better in the States.
    When I was shopping for a car, Consumer Reports had stated in their magazine that you should always have at least 2 cars to choose from. This way if there is only one dealer, you can make them work against other dealers of other cars. Also, try one of those websites (also priceline). You might be surprised at what price comes back.

RSX - compares with Civic SI, Huyndai Tiburon, Mazda 6 V6, Subaru Impressa, Mazdaspeed Protege, Ford Focus SVT, the volkswagon GTI (and Passat), you get the idea.

Just pick another car that you could settle with.

Personally, I really like the RSX (got a friend to buy one), but I would be happy with any of the cars mentioned above.
    Understood, and thanks again for your input. My 'lousy' predicament is that I'm pretty much set on the RSX. I think that the only other one that I might consider is the Celica, but over here it's over US$10,000 more expensive than the RSX for some strange reason. I guess I could always pretend to like the other cars just for bargaining purposes.
    Try the on-line thing first, go into the dealer (if you are ready to buy) and say you are looking at a couple other cars. See if he tries to "persuade you" to buy the RSX instead.
  • joe249joe249 Member Posts: 95
    Anybody got the scoop on it? Supposed to be 1 step above Type S and coming out 2004.
    kevin111, the RSX-S is still selling for around MSRP in CA?! In NJ, I got my RSX-S back in May for only a few hundred above invoice. I did bargain hard and was a repeat customer (previously leased an Integra from same dealership). But a couple other dealerships in the state were offering reasonable prices for the Type-S.

joe249, what do you mean the TSX is "1 step above the Type S"? It has 2 more doors, but that's about it. I don't think HP will be dramatically different, b/c if it were, then TSX will steal potential TL customers.
  • joe249joe249 Member Posts: 95
    I meant in between RSX and TL (price)also,is it supposed to be a 4dr.RSX?
    Here in Southern California, the RSX-S is a hot car! Generally you see much more RSXs vs. WRXs and similiar cars. I remember wanting to test-drive one in May, and could not find a dealer that had one in stock! Generally, as soon as they came in, they were gone.

Of course this is the land of the souped up and done-out civic/accord/integra.

I am guessing it has a great deal to do with the weather down here and the highways vs. NJ. Much less pot-holes, snow, and ice in the SW vs. the NE.
    joe249: I thought I read somewhere that the TSX will be a 4-door version of the RSX (maybe a little longer), but it won't be more feature-rich or significantly more powerful. Otherwise, it would be infringing in TL territory.

kevin111, I'm sorry to hear that the hype is still so high for the RSX-S in CA. Is the base RSX in that kind of demand, too? I guess the good news is that one would think that the RSXs should have a decent resale value.
    There is demand for the RSX, but you still see plenty of them on dealer's lots and can easily negotiate with them. I would have been able to get an RSX close to invoice, while a RSX-S would have gone for MSRP.
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    "Otherwise, it would be infringing in TL territory."

The 03 Honda Accord V-6 already does that (at least the base TL, anyway). Even so, the TL is up for a redesign, so the TSX and Accord entering TL territory will only be for a short while.

The TSX is rumored to arrive on our shore with 200hp and ~170 lb-ft of torque from the 2.4L.
  • furious2furious2 Member Posts: 2
    Is it possible to buy an RSX and insist they equip it with the sound system that comes in the RSX type S? Has anyone tried or know if this has been done?
  • silverrsxs1silverrsxs1 Member Posts: 27
    is a rebadged, reskinned European-spec Honda Accord, from what I understand. Looks nice tho...
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    pretty much like the Accord here, IMO. I understand it is a little smaller, and they will probably change out the front fascia and taillights, which are very similar to the American Accord, if not identical. But the lines will give it away as a luxo-accord.

My question is, how will they differentiate it from Accord, not TL. I guess Lexus sells a Camry XLE V-6 and calls it a Lexus ES300 by adding a little extra wood, so maybe Honda can achieve success doing the same thing.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Just a reminder to please just provide a hyperlink to photos from other commercial websites. This is to insure that we don't infringe on anyone's copyright protections.

And now back to the subject of the Acura RSX. Thanks for your participation!

Revka

Hatchbacks & Wagons Host

the TL is based on the Accord platform. The TSX might be based on the Civic platform?
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    The new TSX is the European Accord, it has already been announced. The body is shorter and narrower than the U.S. Accord, but the platform is the same as the U.S. Accord, and the TL as you have so aptly pointed out!

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Take it from me, a Type-S owner, that you do *not* want to waste your money to ask the dealer to give you a Type-S sound system in the base RSX. You can get an aftermarket head unit (HU), amplifier (amp) and subwoofer (sub) that'll yield *much* better sound for probably roughly the cost of the upgrade.
  • ratass_2002ratass_2002 Member Posts: 17
    My driver side leather sit is all wrinkled and the lower back position is getting swollen, it's no longer flat like the origial shape. I drove over 20k in around 4.1/2 months periods. I weight around 180lb(do I need a diet;)

I use the Armor-All Leather Wipes. I don't know if that's enough to keep the leather sit healthy, because once they are wrinkled I don't think they'll ever go back to the original state.
  • acbeacbe Member Posts: 16
    There is a special leather protection kit that you can get from the dealer. If not from the dealer, then ask at any local auto store for a leather treatment kit. There are many different brands of products that can be used to protect the leather. I do think that you need more than just the wipes to keep the leather "healthy". Are there any "detail" places that can help do the job for you? That way you know it's done right and if you have any problems, you can always go back for touch ups!!!
    Does anyone know how much the ACURA RSX with leather fully loaded cost? and if it a good car.
This discussion has been closed.