Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RSX (All years/types)

Comments

• biggie2biggie2 Member Posts: 45
    If your gonna get a VW then invest in a extended warrenty through VW. I bought mine used about a year ago and have put 16K on it since (28k total), here have been my problems. 2 broken auto windows (front drivers side and passenger side) windshield wipers mechanism brok (twice) 3 total replaced tweeters, all in the rear, cruise control broke (havent fixed yet) plstic thingy that hold the center console broke so got a new one of those, rear ash tray (never been used) somehow broke, had water leak into the sunroof which eventually filled the reservoir is made to transfer any water leaked through the seals to someplace near the floor boards so when the reservoir filled the floorboard on front and rear passenger side became very very wet, ummmm i feel like i am leaving something out... but thats all i can remember. Nothing has actually gone wrong mechanically just tedious stuff. Two year 24k used warrent just ran so im afraid to see what is wrong with the cruise control...
  • ncpastinncpastin Member Posts: 1
    The dealer tried to sell me the piece of plastic for 150, which I thought it's too expensive. Anyone has any tips about where to get this for cheaper? I'm talking about the piece of plastic that snaps on top of the car and prevents the air getting in when the moonroof is open. At 6 ft 3 inches, the current is really annoying at high speeds.
  • edberg_dcedberg_dc Member Posts: 23
    ncpastin,

I bought a used 2002 Type S with a visor this past June. I bought the car mostly because it also had the foglights already installed. I acutally hate the visor a lot, when it's put on it actually blocks about 1/2 to 2/3 of the moonroof, and when the roof itself slides back (as you know) it also blocks about 1/4 of the roof. Result: You are left with about 1/4 or 1/3 of actual open moonroof. Which makes the principle of a moonroof seem pointless. Plus, when you go over bumps, it can shake and make thud noises. In addition, it's impossible to clean under it properly and I am weary that spiders and such will make nests in it. I am 6'3 as well, and I am telling you don't get it. I am actually having it removed at my first service visit. You want it?
  • beowulf7beowulf7 Member Posts: 290
    Congrats on your RSX-S. I highly recommend *not* installing OEM (stock) foglights. I installed PIAA foglights and they're so much brighter and whiter. Not to mention cheaper. They look great, but I admit they don't look "stock", but they look good and most importantly, really light up the road. :)
  • li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    Thanks! I'm really happy with the car so far.

Could you tell me where you got the PIAA foglights and whether you installed them yourself?
  • nitromaxnitromax Member Posts: 640
    I had the OEM foglights put in by the dealer. They have since been replaced twice because of cracking....free of charge of course.

Just found out yesterday that the dealer, when installing the replacement fogs, "modified" my bumper to fit the replacements in. The bumper was also repainted at some point along the way.

Needless to say I'm not too pleased about this and the dealer will be giving me an explantation during my next service call.

I'm considering taking them out and installing some PIAA's also.
  • redwolf813redwolf813 Member Posts: 3
    We've had our 2003 RSX for about 3 months now and I'm still very impressed with it both asthetically and machanically. A few things that could be improved are kind of evident. If you look inside the front wheel wells the abs liner doesn't cover the sides of the engine as in there are two gaping holes that will let in spray in wet conditions. If you're like me and wash it once a week its no big deal to rinse the area out. As in almost all sport coupes there is a blind spot problem that is most evident when backing but you get used to that. I can't understand why they dont include a rear mat with the all weather mats in the front either. I found the oil easy to service and the re settable service engine light is a nice feature. I went with Mobil 1 0 w 20 as I've had very good luck with synthetic oil in the past. The stereo is adequate for an oem unit though if you listen alot in the car an aftermarket unit and speakers are not that big a deal to install. Crutchfield has everything you need with instructions for the reasonably mechanically inclined. As I said in my earlier post the spoiler at $895.00 from the dealer is a rip. You can buy it painted and guaranteed to match your oem paint from Wings West for less than half that amount. Installation instructions are downloadable at their website. Don't buy touch up paint at the dealer either. Not enough suspended solids in the paint, Instead go to PaintScratch.com and have a fresh batch mixed up using the paint code inside the drivers door. They also guarantee the paint will match. Other than minor things like the above mentioned the car runs great on regular gas which at this posting is going for $1.50 a gallon..I've had it up to 100 mph and theres room for way more but I didn't want to find out how much more at the time. It handles great too. Honda Civics are nice but I like the extra horsepower and torque of the RSX for freeway merges and the like. So far I'd say you can't go wrong with an RSX, if you can get a good deal on one all the better. The place we went was pretty much an invoice price deal and with the 2.9 finance the total cost of finance came in at under $2,000 on a 60 month loan, though I think we'll trade it in on another one at about 65,000 miles.
    Sorry for the delay. I only check this forum every week or so. I have PIAA 004XT foglights on my car. I did not install them; a professional car shop did (in NJ). It took them about 4 hours to do the job b/c I insisted they install the foglights in the "stock location" (by the black waffle/webbing), instead of putting them close to the front license plates that most people install aftermarket foglights. They are bright as hell and really light things up. :)
    So where did everyone go?
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Well, I'm back. I painted my tire valvle caps a couple weeks ago. They're now DSM to match my car's body paint. :) I just hope no one steals them. :(
    46,000+ miles and still loving every minute.

I'm bringing my car in for it's scheduled maintenance (I'll soon be weening it from those visits)
    Also, while in the shop, they will be looking into my red SRS light. It has been lit for the past few thousand miles.
  • mr_orangemr_orange Member Posts: 6
    -PLEASE HELP ME...

Hello everyone, my name is Matt. I am about to sell my 1971 Blue (with black stripes)Chevelle for around 10k. I will be putting all of that money down on a new car. I love the look of the RSX inside and out. I need an automatic because I just don't want a stick right now. I am still not sure about the RSX mainly because of all the problems I read about in the "RSX PROBLEMS" discussion, but then again if you go to a hospital you see sick people if that makes any sense at all. I am 18 years old and will be buying this completely on my own, but my father will co-sign for me and hopefully we will get a decent enough rate on the financing.

Please I just need help because I am going this Friday to look at a '04 Satin SIlver RSX with black cloth interior and I don't want to be so impressed I just buy it then regret it later....

I need help with real simple questions most people ask when buying a new car...
    - Good warranty/service?
    - How much should I be looking to spend for what I want?
    - How much is that Factory Premium Package or whatever the heck it is?
    - Is it fast enough?...is it strong enough?
    - Is it going to turn into a rattle trap?
    - Are they going to release a newer better version of the same model within a friggin' year (my luck)?

Answers to ANY of these questions are much appreciated and please go easy on me if I sound dumb (this is my first time posting here). All I know is my father owns a frame/suspension/collision repair shop and he hates ALL new cars, but he "liked" this one when he got behind the wheel and that is impressive to me so it sparked my interest in this cool little car.

Oh and also, is the stereo that freaking bad????!?!!!!!
  • tommyijrtommyijr Member Posts: 56
    I had an '02 RSX-s, a much different car from the base model, spend a little more and get a lot in return...If not, don't worry, it is a good, sodid car, I loved driving mine, it was quick, responsive and (in my mind) very dependable. As for the stereo, is the base model differnt from the Bose system in the Type S? I found it to be very nice for a stock system. As for changes, Acura is slow to radically change model style, subtle changes will occur but you should be good for at least 3 more years, look at the '02 compared to the '04.........virtually identical. I also had and continue to have a good relationship with Acura as a whole, they handle all of the work on my car (I traded the RSX-s in for a TSX) and are always willing to go the extra mile for my satisfaction. It's a good car, you'll love it.
    Hey thanks a lot for your input tommyijr...any experiences with defects rattling, or minor complications. I expect that there would be with ANY car so this isn't much of a determining factor I guess...
    no rattles, no loose panels........very tight, very solid......even in cold weather. I loved the RSX-s, in fact I would still have it today if I didn't test drive the TSX while I was at the dealership for an oil change....Honestly, no rattles at all
    Wow, well I guess it is looking good so far...now about driving a stick, you sound like you know about your car so, how do you like driving stick...I mean I SORT OF know how to pilot them but I don't know if that is ultimately want to be doing you know (shifting)?
    Ok, so a bunch of years ago a girl I lived with convinced me to get an automatic (Accord) so she could drive it, I reluctantly agreed. After that situation ended and I found myself looking at a new car (turned out to be the RSX-s) I had one real requirement, manual..... For me it makes the driving experience more involved, it also gives the I-VTEC engine a chance to show off. The TSX I have is a 6 speed, 200hp with a 2.4 liter engine and would never dream of getting a manual tranny again. But, it is whatever you feel comfortable, also, if I am not mistaken, I believe that the RSX-s only comes in a manual, at least that was the case when I bought mine. Another thing, it is an easy shift, short throws, very responsive.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    first off, you're 18, you should be getting a stick. Honda/Acura Manuals are very easy to drive. You'll be a little rough around the edges for a few weeks, but you'll get the hang of it. My '01 Prelude is the first manual transmission car I've owned and I'll NEVER go back to torque converter power sucking autos again!

One thing it will not turn into a rattle trap. Acura body panels fit & finish as well as interior materials are top notch.

It probably won't feel as fast as you're chevelle (you runnin' a 396 or 327 or what) off the line. The car is light on it's feet and will handle really well.

Whatever you decide...good luck!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

I need help with real simple questions most people ask when buying a new car...
    - Good warranty/service?
    - Are they going to release a newer better version of the same model within a friggin' year (my luck)?

I have had excellent service with my RSX. Which, by the way, is an automatic. I bring it in on a regular basis for it's scheduled maintenance and now have 46,000 miles on it.

I paid around 19,000 for mine but that will vary depending on where you live.

I'm not sure what you mean by the factory premium package.

It won't be as fast as your Chevelle but the RSX is still quick. I used to own a muscle car and while the RSX is not really in it's league for torque, it makes up for in handling and agility. In my opinion, that's where the fun is in driving. As I said, I have the sportshift automatic, so I am still able to make use of the powerband when I want to....similar to a manual. I also use it in the winter for engine braking (similar to a manual) Granted, the RSX premium has less power than the type S, but the powerband is designed for lower rpms so it feels more streetable.

As of now, I have had no rattles that I have noticed. The interior is tight. If you start taking the dashboard apart for mods then you might start initiating rattles.

As far as I know, there are no plans for any major changes to the car. Besides, I thought you LIKED the way it looked.
    :-)
    I'll add to what nitro said...I have the type S, '02. I bought it used a few months ago, so no service by me yet, but I switched to Mobil 1. Too soon to know anything about that yet.

The performance package is overpriced hooey, if you ask me. Some ground effects, some suspension tuning and a few other things that don't come close to justifying the (IIRC) approx $5k price.

The acceleration of the Type S is awesome, IMO, for this type of car. Esp on the highway, my problem is watching the speedo to make sure I haven't hit 90 when I'm just trying to do 65.

It's tight as a drum, no worries there. It's quite e package, I doubt there'll be significant improvement in the near term.
    I just test drove a base RSX (auto) and noticed that the "Side Under Body" piece is black and not the same color as the car...what's up with that! I think the piece goes all the way around the front...very lame looking, I guess I could paint it. Does anyone have a better solution to changing that if I have to get the base RSX? Besides a whole new body kit. THANKS
    just test drove a base RSX (auto) and noticed that the "Side Under Body" piece is black and not the same color as the car...what's up with that!

I guess it's personal taste because I like it like that. It gives the car a slimmer appearance from the side.
    Just my opinion.
    Yeah, you are right "nitromax." It definately depends on tastes. I mean it really isn't that big of a deal (the black under body piece). I decided that if I get this car here within a few weeks. I will have to have to go through my dad to buy the ground kit from the Acura dealer (he gets 20% off) and install it ourselves....
    - Good warranty/service?
    + Yes: 4 years/50 kmi.

+ Don't go much above invoice. 2003s will be cheaper if there are any left. For 2004, you should still spend closer to invoice than MSRP.

+ What is this? Do you mean the sound system? There's no choice for audio - if you buy a base, then you won't get the Bose woofer and 6-CD changer. That's a good thing, probably, since you can use the cost difference to put in a killer sound system.

+ Type-S is a bit faster than base (200 HP vs. 160 HP). RSX base w/ a MT is quick enough for most folks.

+ I hope not. Acura has a pretty good reputation.

+ I think the RSX will be due for a reskin in 2005, but no major redesign until 2007 or 2008.

Good luck.
    AFAIK, the package being referred to here is the Factory Performance package being offered for the type S. It lists for $4800 plus installation. Frankly, I don't think it's worth the money, but YMMV.

Here's what the package includes:

High performance, track-tuned shocks and springs
    Slotted brake rotors and performance brake pads
    Lightweight 17x7.5 inch alloy wheels
    High performance tires (225/45VR17)
    Factory performance rear wing spoiler
    Under-body spoiler kit
    Metallic look interior trim kit
    Factory Performance shift knob
    Factory Performance badging

Here's what it looks like:

Photo is from the Edmunds RSX type S page.
  • joe249joe249 Member Posts: 95
    Where's the low end torque ,or did I miss something?
      I've an 03 TYpe S and the base modle is quicker from the get go.
        YA, $4800 is a bit much.IMO
    Mmmm, yes, this is not a low-end torque-kind of beast. Didn't think about the base being quicker from start...is it really? The crossover should come soon after that, though...to me, the quickness at higher rpms is more important on the hwy and such.
  • swan898swan898 Member Posts: 15
    Your going to love the 04 coupe. Don't have to worry about noise,inside or out. If you live in hilly country,maybe the auto would be best. Why worry about shifting?The new 4 or 5 speeds are almost seamless,and much improved overall. No clutch to burn or wear out.Keep life simple. Before you buy you might take a look at the Toyota Solara sport. About the same price and rather sporty. tight as a drum.The four cyl has plenty of get up and go. Last thing you need is to start building up speed tickets at 18. Your ins. rates will leave a great big hole in your pocket. We just got an 04 SLE and couldn't be more pleased. Just a tad larger than the Acura. Happy hunting. (I am not a salesman)
    Mmmm, yes, this is not a low-end torque-kind of beast. Didn't think about the base being quicker from start...is it really? The crossover should come soon after that, though...to me, the quickness at higher rpms is more important on the hwy and such.

I've also heard that the base engine has more low end. The torque curves prove it, but with such a smooth fast revving engine....this shouldn't be a concern.
    I, OTOH, have the automatic which gives an additional shot of torque right off the line due to the torque converter. It's not much but every little bit helps.

Another way to gain more low end power is by replacing the existing air cleaner with a cold air intake.
  • bobstbobst Member Posts: 1,776
    According to the sales brochure, the base engine has both more torque and more horsepower than the S engine below 5500 rpm. Above 6000 rpm, the torque in the base engine falls off dramatically.

I doubt I will ever rev mine over 5500 rpm.

We got our base RSX in October after drooling over the car for 1.5 years. We love it.
    Ok, ok, guys...I went back to the brochure to check, as I didn't remember the exact differences.

You're right, technically. But the HP differences are pretty miniscule. The HP difference peaks at about 10 at 4000 rpms. It's identical up to 3000 rpm and is virtually identical up to about 5300 rpm where the type-S gradually pulls away.

The torque difference is similarly small. It's identical below 2000 rpm. There's about a 5 ft-lb difference at 2500 rpm and about 10 ft-lbs at 4000, rpms. The difference is less at other points. The type S torque pulls away at, once again, 5300 rpm.

It appears to me that the hp/torque output difference below 5300 rpm is minimal with a significant advacntage to the type S over 5300 rpm.

I agree that, unless you race, you don't often exceed 5000 rpms. However, I often downshift to pass on the highway and I go over 6000 rpms at times. The power I get is awesome. I don't do it often or hold it very long, but it's, um, kinda neat ;-)

I do a lot of highway driving and it's important to me to be able to be able to "move out" when I need to.
    You, sir, are correct!

People tend to buy their vehicles to suit their needs (hmmm, sounds like a segue to another forum)
    :-)

Remember though that torque is what moves the car in the lower RPMs and HP is what moves the car in the higher RPMs. (Perhaps I'm simplifying/butchering that explanation, but that's the general rule)
    And 5-10 ft lbs of torque is substantial for this sized car...so for people that like to play in the lower rpms, the base is probably better. For poeple that like to play in upper rpms, the type S is better.
    Yeah, I'm no expert either...what you said sounds like a good summation though. Anyway, although that's my understanding about the role of torque vs HP, I can only hope to really understand the concept of "torque" someday. I don't, really. "Twisting force", as I've read. Greek to me.
    Perhaps this will help out.

http://vettenet.org/torquehp.html

This link was pointed out to me a couple of years ago and it still is probably the best explanation of everything you want to know about torque and HP.
    You said:

I doubt I will ever rev mine over 5500 rpm.

If you had a Type-S, you'd probably rephrase that sentence to say:

I doubt I will ever rev mine below 5500 rpm.

;-)
    Wow, this ride is rough!

Too many stupid gears to choose from!

Wasing this car is a pain because the part under the doors is color coded. I wish it was black!

Premium gas! You gotta be kidding!

Not enough power below 5500 rpm. Wish I had the base model.

At least I have the fancy exhaust pipe. I knew I was paying for something!

Bob
  • joshsjoshs Member Posts: 22
    Opinions vary, but I don't find the type-S ride rough at all. It's tight, alright, but I don't like feeling insulated.

I love the flexibility of the 6-speed (this is a sweet shifter), and I have no problems with finding power. Of course, I do get a little rev- happy, so it might just be driving styles.

Out of curiosity, does your base have a manual or an AT? I ask mostly because I didn't like the AT on the base I drove, but I never tested the base's manual and was curious if its quality matched the one on the type-S.
  • twinturbotimtwinturbotim Member Posts: 26
    How does the RSX handle in snow w/o snow tires?
    I had no problems with mine when the tires were new. Went through plenty of snow and ice storms the first winter. Last year, however, with around 40,000 miles on them, I had some problems.
    I just put on a pair of Michelin Arctic Alpins and haven't had any troubles this year yet (already had two good sized storms here in the Northeast)
    In the spring I'll be needing to switch back to some summer tires. I haven't decided yet to swap off with the original rims or get a second set of dedicated rims.
    Yes, we have the 5-sp manual in our base RSX. The car only has 1000 miles on it and it shifts very smothly so far, but I haven't pushed it hard by shifting over 5000 rpm. Before I bought the car, I read a lot of horror stories about owners who claim their trannys shift terribly, but we chose to buy the car anyway simply because we thought it would be fun to drive. So far, we love it!

Seriously, I can't see any real advantage to the S model. According to the manual, the S engine has less horsepower and less torque than the base engine below 5500 rpm. Also, five speeds are enough for me.
    Seriously, I can't see any real advantage to the S model. According to the manual, the S engine has less horsepower and less torque than the base engine below 5500 rpm. Also, five speeds are enough for me.

It all depends on each individuals driving requirements. Some people enjoy driving their car up in the high rpms, and with the extra HP that the Type S gives in that range, it can be a lot of fun.
    I chose the sport shift because at the time I was driving in stop and go traffic 700 miles per week and had no interest in working a clutch constantly.
    Sure, I could buy a car that shifts gears by itself. I could have also had my children by artificial insemination.

There are some things that I prefer doing for myself. As you can see, the second thing that comes to mind is shifting gears.
  • edberg_dcedberg_dc Member Posts: 23
    Well I am beating a dead horse here, but here we go... I test drove a base 5-spd manual first, I liked it, but it felt underpowered to me. I felt that if I was going to buy a manual transmission sports car, that was still somewhat practical, I had to go all out. I have a Type S now (a 2002 I bought used for the same price as a new 2003 Base) and I am glad I did.

Talking about the charts in an academic way has its merits, but I will be very honest - I notice a big difference in the two cars. Although the peak HP and Torque are above 5500 in the Type S, it pulls quite strongly starting around 2500 or so all the way up to the red line... and that sound is intoxicating. You can feel the VTEC kick in a little bit around 3500 or so (not as noticeable on previous non-iVTECs though). I had a 94 Accord EX and to me driving the base RSX, in terms of HP and pull, felt equivalent. Although the suspension and shifter were much better, power was in my opinion the same. The Type S feels like a sports car. Its suspension is much stiffer, I will grant that and wish it was a little more compliant (I live in a city), but I am never without adequate passing power or whatever in my Type S, it's always there. This car is plenty plenty fast. And the six-speed is nice because it keeps the revs down around 3000 at about 70-75 mph, which is good.

But, here is my qualifier to all this... I feel that I don't get to use all of the Type S where I live, although it's more powerful and a blast, I hardly ever really get to take it out and enjoy it, with that being said, around town the Base model may make more sense. I don't regret my purchase one bit, but it is something to think about I think. Now that I have more free time (no longer getting my master's at night) I can take it for drives out into the burbs and mountains, but we shall see. Overall though, this car is really nice and the interior is great.
    This forum's been pretty dead lately! Where did everyone go? Anyway, I'm just checking in to let everyone know that I'm getting close to 18 kmi. in my RSX-S. Although my car is ugly b/c of all the snow, salt, and dirt on it (it's been another bad winter in the Northeast), it's still driving well (knock on wood). That said, I plan on getting new 17" tires/wheels in the Spring. :) I hope the rest of you RSX owners/lessees are doing well.
    I might as well take the 2000th post and respond to bobst and edberg.

bobst, just like you enjoy shifting your own gears, some of us enjoy airing out the engine a little (as in living above 5 krpm). ;)

edberg, I'm glad you're enjoying your RSX-S. Too bad you can't enjoy it to your max in the city, but hopefully you'll find some rural roads outside of the city where you can have a little fun.
  • djconnerdjconner Member Posts: 10
    Not snow tires specifically, but just replacement tires in general. twinturbotim mentioned having troubles around 40,000 miles, which is where I am now too.

Any specific recommendations for the RSX (I have the base model, if it matters?) I'm in Northern Virginia, so I'd certainly want something that *can* handle snow, but that wouldn't be the defining characteristic.
    What happened to Post #2002? The poster probably mentioned a "competing forum".

Anyway, my car recently rolled past the 18,000 mile mark. It'll be 2 years old in a couple months. :\

djconner, you might want to try the Problems/Solution forum. I'm thinking of getting Continental ContiExtremeContact tires, which are categorized as "Ultra High Performance All-Season" tires by tirerack.com.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    my new base RSX today - desert silver, 5-speed stick. It comes with the Michelin HX MXM tires - should I infer from the discussion here that these tires are not that great, or did earlier cars come with different tires?

I have been looking at the Civic SI, but unlike this car, SIs are next to impossible to find. Both are fun, and this one gets better gas mileage. The only complaints common to most folks commenting on this car are noisy ride and just-OK radio, both of which I was mindful of when test driving. It seemed OK to me, so I am hoping it is still OK two years from now! :-P

I know that some people buying the SI (with the same engine) have had oil consumption issues...has that happened for any owners here?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

This discussion has been closed.