Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• Options
    sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    I always wondered whether to follow the car recommendations, or the tire mfr.

I usually split the difference between the two. I haven't had uneven wear by that formula so far (4 cars of various configurations).

Smile, it's sunny out (at least in Mass.)
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    I was told by the driving instructors at an advanced driving school that if you drive with such high pressures in the tire (45psi) at all times, your tires will wear unevenly...basically it will wear more on the outside edges and less in the middle. Not only this, but at 45psi, the ride is significantly harsher than necessary. As we all know, the Wrangler is not exactly a smooth riding vehicle as it is already.

Usually tire manufacturers do not recommend tire pressures since the same tires are used on a wide variety of vehicles. The marking on the sidewall simply indicates maximum cold tire pressure (It's not a recommendation) and when cold, the pressure in the tire should not exceed that. Most people follow what the vehicle manufacturer recommends.

For more information about tires, check out the Tires, tires, tires topic in the Aftemarket & Accessories message board.

Good luck!

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Just thought I'd say "howdy" before tsjay beats me too it :-). The usual gang will indoctrinate you from here! Welcome.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    peterskmpeterskm Member Posts: 79
    With my last vehicle (96 Ford Explorer), I always ran my tires at the max pressure imprinted on the tire. My tires lasted a little of 70k miles. So, when I got the Jeep, I decided to do the same thing. After a while (a year or so), my front driver side tire started making a fubnky rumbling noise. Turns out the tread started to wear all screwy-like. I've read a little on this topic and here is what I've heard...the psi listed on the tire is the MAX psi the tire is capable of before failure. The mfg psi listed on the label in your door jamb is what the manufacturer has decided to be the best compromise if ride quality, tire durability, and gas mileage. Splitting the difference is not a bad idea...it should up your gas mileage slightly and drop the ride comfort slightly as well. I decided to bite the bullet and I aired down to DC specs (29 psi with my 30").

Hope this helps.

Kevin
  • Options
    twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    Jeephead, welcome to the group! Glad to hear bits of our rambling may have been useful. Be sure to give us all the details on your new Jeep!

Regarding tire pressure... I found mine to be set at 39 psi cold when i picked it up. The sticker in the door jam says 29psi, BUT it also says the rating is for the smaller tires (215's I think). There is NO mention of the recommended pressure for the 30" GS-A's on ours. I called two dealerships and they both said they didn't have a recommendation but not to exceed the tire sidewall rating (35psi). After having an Exploder with exploding Firestones, I'm pretty sensitive to the issue. The Ford shipped with 26psi on the door sticker, but I found 29 in town and 32 on long trips to be better for me. The real test is to see if the tire is making a flat footprint on the pavement. The best way I have heard to check this is to take a piece of chalk, mark a strip across the entire length of the tread and drive 1 or 2 revolutions of the tire. Check the chalk mark to see how it looks. If it's gone in the middle but still visible on the edges, the pressure is too high. If you can see the chalk in the center of the tread, but not on the sides, too low. For us, having the 30" tires, 29-30 seems juuuust right. Of course, this applies only to driving on the road, if you're going off road, airing down to 15psi will allow you to handle obstacles much better. Just be sure to air up before driving any distance off the trail. oasn, Airing down on soft sand is a must. I have seen 2 wheel drive pickups running bald tires and about 10psi pull out fully aired up 4wd newbies. This was at Cape Hatteras, NC, where the sand is soft and deep.

Be sure to check tire pressure when the tires are completely cold (first thing in the AM). I would love to see what others have found to be the "optimal" pressure.

As with all my posts, just my opinion and observations, ymmv.

-twylie
  • Options
    If overinflated, the center will wear more, if underinflated, the edges will wear more.

other comments:
    I have a friend who has/had a lot of high performance cars (Mustangs, Shelbys, Trans Ams, ...). He usually keeps pressures a little on the low side for more "hookup", or traction.

I agree with the person who ups pressure a little on long trips. It gives better gas mileage and cooler running (you get a feel for this).

Also, another good way to check footprint is to spray some water in the driveway and run through it and see what kind of tracks are left.

Like I said, splitting the difference worked pretty well for 2 American RWD cars and 2 Japanese FWD cars. Honda actually has different pressures front to rear, but the formula still applies, and works.

For off road, do whatever you want, but I guess most people air down (a lot!?). Not sure, good luck.
  • Options
    saharanutsaharanut Member Posts: 134
    Jeephead welcome to the neighborhood...and congratulations on your jeep...i'm sure you will love it..I wish you got one when you were 14,,,
    Keep us posted on your new toy

Scomo,,,thanx for your input on the Kiddies & jeeps...That has been a concern of mine..

Take care jeepers..

see ya in chat tomorrow night

Snut
    Terry
  • Options
    tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Welcome to Wrangler IV! And, congrats on the Jeep!

Would love to hear all the details about that Jeep. Maybe you could post in Meet the Members and give us a little info about yourself and about that Jeep????

Aren't Jeeps the coolest things in the whole world? (Oops! Thelma Jane would get mad if I referred to her as a "thing.")

tsjay

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • Options
    styles8675309styles8675309 Member Posts: 12
    today is one of the happiest days of my life... i picked up my new baby today in agawam and pretty much drove that puppy all day but it was sooo fun, me and my pops took the top off and that made for an even sicker ride! of course i had to show it to everyone. today was a great day, beautiful weather.

tsjay - i supposedly had a done deal with the first dealer and i found out they were trying to make too much off of my sale in the back end of the deal thats why i couldnt get a loan. so pretty much they screwed me and this other place, wow they were excellant. i was driving my new beautiful machine within 24 hours of walking in the door. i ended up getting it for 4000 less than what they were asking for it plus the 500 rebate and for some reason they gave me another 500 so pretty much i saved like 5000.
    it s going to be hard to go to work and know that my new baby is just sitting there dying for me to drive it. by the way anyone got a good name for it? its a 4.0 6 cylinder solar yellow.i'll be making a small web page in the near future dedicated to my love.(the jeep)
  • Options
    2001wrangler2001wrangler Member Posts: 112
    I disagree with your statement that if you plan on getting oversize tires to "skip tracloc". Yes, you will need an over size spare, but that's not a problem. I did not get tracloc on my TJ, but I really did not understand what it was when I purchased mine. I now have a 4" lift and 33" tires (with a full size spare) and I regret not getting tracloc when I ordered mine. I am glad I got the Dana44 at least though.

If I end up doing more off roading in the future I will definately get some type of lockers (front & rear).
  • Options
    Thanks for the explanation.

Congratulations on the solar yellow Jeep!

How about "Sunshine" for a name? "Sunny" for short? (Since he is solar yellow) Or, if your Jeep is a girl Jeep, how about "Sunflower?" Or, "Daisy?"

Wanna post in Meet the Members? Give us some info on yourself and all the goodies on your Jeep?

tsjay

P.S. Join us in our weekly chat tomorrow night. It's at 8:00 PM CDST.
  • Options
    tntbeautytntbeauty Member Posts: 22
    Welcome to Jeep Head and Styles... you seem like lively additions to this warm, loving group. :o)

Congratulations Dave... I am very happy you've finally got your new Baby, and some awesome weather to enjoy her with.

Give the Mrs. Nut a big wet birthday kiss for me Sahara.

And on tire pressure (dancing a very thin line here again)... I can tell you that one major vehicle manufacturer engineers its power train, gear ratios, everything that determines effective contact with the ground, based on certain size/density tires inflated to the specific PSI as noted on the SPID label inside the drivers door jam. A'hem... no names, of course (and Trey... don't you tell!). Now this manufacturer, who shall remain nameless, is not Chrysler.... nor Ford... but I would expect they all follow suit on this like they do a myriad of other issues. Also, if you choose to upsize your tires, obviously, the pressure on the SPID would only apply to the tires the vehicle was intended to be driven on. (By a milk toast engineer... nothing like you manly Jeep types!) :o)

Also, to confirm, Ford did an excellent job deflecting the blame to Firestone. The problem with the tread separation is representative of some areas of opportunity in the tire manufacturing process... but they were excaserbated by Ford recommending a lower tire pressure than the tires suggested so that Explorer passengers would have a softer ride. The lower pressure caused unusual wear at the outside edge of the tread teeth. This, in some cases, ultimately caused the "teeth" part of the tread to peel away like the skin of an orange, leaving a bare smooth tire surface. (Yes, the tread can peel off and the tire still retain air pressure... for a bit.). Now if the driver failed to notice the increasing vibrations and noise due to tread slapping the inside of the wheel well, the tire would have a catastrophic failure. Translation = Kerplooey!

Final note: Proper tire maintenance includes rotating front to back, left to right, every 7K - or for synthetic oil users like me, I do it with every oil change (5K). (If you have a full size spare, DO NOT cycle this one in. Full size spares are intended to look pretty. Should you eat a nail, as I did, then you only have to buy one tire, so that my newer ones keep each other company in the back, or the front, depending on the rotation, and my spare is a respectably used.) Also, aside from giving them a quick look as you approach your Jeep for the day's driving adventure (a visual is how I noticed the nail... I did not have a kerplooey driving thank God), monthly you should check your pressure when you check your fluid levels. Not that I know one end of a tire pressure gauge from the other (Daddy does this for me), but I am told a tire, even in good condition, can passively loose up to a half PSI per month.

Enjoy your Chat tomorrow everyone! :o)

Tara

(Psst... I haven't posted in a bit, so that wasn't too long, was it Terry?)
  • Options
    tonkadavetonkadave Member Posts: 102
    Well I guess I can stop driving my Jeep long enough to post my first impressions. Here it is... I cant believe I waited till I was 36 years old to get one of these. I love it! Top down in nice spring weather just cant be beat. The wife and kids love it too. I think my wife will be driving it more than I had planned. hmmm. Paint and fit and finish are better than I expected they would be. The ride is great. Its definitley not my Chevy V-8 but its servicable. Im real happy with the steel blue color as well. The only problem so far is that the windshield washer fluid cap wont stay on and fluid runs out and down the fender. Once the fluid gets low enough it wont be able to run out anymore I guess. not a biggie. I stopped long enough to get a couple of quick shots which arent that good but you can get the idea. I will get some pics put on a page on a rainy day maybe. Talk to everyone on chat.

http://members.aol.com/tonkadave/jeep1

http://members.aol.com/tonkadave/jeep2
  • Options
    tonkadavetonkadave Member Posts: 102
    Tsjay sent me a nice Jeep Hat from Quadratec. Tom, i've been using it and it didnt fly off my head yet, like your Dale Jarret hat did. I guess my skull is thicker. Thanks for the hat pal.
  • Options
    scomoscomo Member Posts: 39
    Hi Jeepin Gang..
    OK, let me try this again...(sorry it's early). I want to get the Dana 44 when I order my TJ (soon!) and accouding to Edmunds it comes with Trak-Lok but my dealer says that even with the Dana 44 Trak-lok is an option and not included or required. What have you all experienced with this...?

Thanks,
    Scomo
  • Options
    wijeep2wijeep2 Member Posts: 1
    Hi there all!
    I've been reading off & on for a while, but haven't really had anything to post before. But I have come up with some questions.
    First, has anyone put in after-market cruise? (I know, cruise in a Jeep, but I'm a habitual speeder & it's a necessity for me!) I was told by 2 dealers in my area that I could not get factory anymore for my Jeep (1997 Sport), but that there were some good/OK a-m kits available...any comments or suggestions?
    Second, I live in WI; the weather is unpredictable to say the least & I love having the top down, is there a cover or something (other than bungie-ing a tarp over) to cover a jeep while keeping top down?
    Third, I've noticed that I get an odor of antifreeze sometimes, especially when it's cold. I was told it's normal as the radiator is made of both metal & plastic & they expand/shrink at different temp & rates (makes sense). But does anyone else have this & is there anything I can do? I HATE that smell!
    & I guess fourth (don't want to get blasted for being too long, right Tara!) Anyone know of good trails in WI area? Now the weather's finally (mostly) nice, I'm DYING to get off-road, so far all I've gotten is gravel roads near city!
    Thanks in advance for the help & info!
  • Options
    jeepheadjeephead Member Posts: 49
    Thanks for the welcome everyone! I have put some basic info in my profile about my jeep. It is a 2000, 6 cyl, 5 speed, full doors, cd player, A/C, and the soft top. I am planning on getting a hard top for the winter, but the soft is PERFECT for right now. I've had the top down almost every day since I've bought it, and took a couple of trails in my brother's woods. I haven't got a name for 'er yet... still working on it! I agree with tsjay - Jeeps are the coolest things around! (Is it wrong to like a vehicle this much?) Talk to you all later!

JeepHead
  • Options
    ... I see in your bio you have a blue TJ. Is it the patriot blue? Grey or tan interior? I'm asking b/c I am ordering soon and I was torn between the red & blue but I haven't seen a blue one with either interior and I was curious. Do you have any photos? Thanks.....
  • Options
    Don't forget to kick your tires.

This applies to when you pick up a new vehicle, test drive a vehicle, or just walk out to your car in the morning.

Kick all 4, and kick them hard!!!

This will tell you a lot about the tires, your suspension, and yourself!!!

Zen for a day.
  • Options
    Hey, Scomo!

You don't automatically get TracLoc with the Dana 44. My Thelma Jane has the Dana 44 without TracLoc.

I wish she DID have the TracLoc, though. I didn't know what a good option it was when I ordered her, or I would have definitely ordered it.

If you are already getting the Dana 44, then the TracLoc is only $285 more. Everyone says that it is well worth that much money to have it.

It is supposed to be VERY good for ice and snow.

tsjay

Have you hugged your Jeep today
  • Options
    Here's what Edmunds says about the Dana 44 option:

Rear Axle - Dana 44/Sport
    Dana 44-3 rear axle, Excludes: [BGK] 4-Wheel Anti-Lock Brakes/Sport, Includes: [DSA] Trac-Lok Differential/Sport And [DME] Axle Ratio - 3.73, Requires: [AAS] 30" Tire & Wheel Group "Canyon" Or [ACF] Tire & Wheel Group "Full Face" Or [ACG] Tire & Wheel Group "Grizzly"

This says that the Dana 44 includes trak-lok... but is it included for the price of the Dana 44 or it's extra? It REQUIRES that you have one of the wheel packages but INCLUDES trak-lok. My dealer was as clueless as was. Any ideas? Is Edmunds incorrect?
  • Options
    What did I say before, LOL? Yes, you're right, I mixed the over and underinflated parts in my previous message.
  • Options
    at 6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern. Todd will be your moderator for this evening's chat.
    http://www.edmunds.com/chat/jeepchat.html

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • Options
    vballstud1vballstud1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Jeep Wrangler. It's a blast driving it. I haven't had any problems. It's definetly an attention getter. I enjoy waving to other Jeep drivers. Here's a pic of my Jeep.

http://www.premismedia.com/DamonEwen/website/images/EwenJeep_jpg.jpg
  • Options
    Welcome to the board!

On cruise control... - check www.jparts.com (MOPAR parts at 15% discount, plus no tax unless you are in PA) or call them @ 1 800 969-JEEP (5337) and see if they can get factory cruise for a '97. It should be available thorugh a dealer, but expect to pay $200 for the parts plus install if you have a dealer do it. Cruise control from jcWhitney or the like will run less than $100, but not look factory. The aftermarket models may also rely on magnets attached to the driveshaft vs. using the brains in the Jeep to monitor speed.

covers when top down - http://www.quadratec.com p/n 11186 $100, or http://www.hottubtable.com used to sell one, but the URL is down right now.

antifreeze smell - I'm speaking in generic "car" terms here, not specifically addressing the Jeep cooling system, but... I'd have this checked out. The cooling system is closed and there should not be any coolant smell unless the overflow bin was in use or leaking. If you are smelling the antifreeze through the air vents, it's likely the heater core is leaking into the blower assembly. If you smell it from somewhere else, it could be anywhere, but be sure to check where you've parked for fluid. If you smell antifreeze in your oil when checking it, you have a cracked block. I'm not trying to alarm you, just going through the troubleshooting process. Be sure to check the coolant level in the overflow bottle and the radiator (ONLY WHEN THE ENGINE IS COLD! Opening a hot radiator will burn you!) and see if the level changes over time. Any change indicates a leak in the system. Not to go off on a rant, but antifreeze, even in small quantities can kill dogs and cats. This problem is compounded in that antifreeze has a sweet taste and animals will drink it if they come across it. If you have any leaks, get them attended to ASAP.

scomo - help us again with what you're getting equipment wise. Depending on which engine, tranny and wheel package you get, the D44 and trak-loc choices and options get confusing. We debated the heck out of this a while back, but I'm sure once the board knows the specifics on everything else, you'll get the accurate answer.

As for the chat tonight, I'm locked in for a client dinner and don't know how long it will run. If I dont' make it, have fun and it looks like you guys will get to break in a new moderator tonight! <grin>!

-twylie

• Options
    Don't get too excited, I'll be back for next week's chat ;-)

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    I'm telling you, Bro, you can get the Dana 44 with or without TracLoc. I have the Dana 44, but I would have had to pay $285 more to get the TracLoc too. My package was the AAS which was the Canyon wheel and 30" tire package, including the Dana 44.

It IS confusing in Edmunds. You need to go to a dealer that has someone who knows Jeeps! Even if you don't end up buying there, at least let them package one out for you and give you a print out of the options. You can then take that anywhere and have them make you their best offer on a Jeep optioned out like that. Crap, you can even do it over the phone, once you have that sheet.

A lot of DC dealers sell very few Jeeps and have no one that even knows how to package options. Find one where they sell quite a few Jeeps, and they will have someone who knows what they are doing.

Just my two cents worth.

P.S. Join us after while in the chat, and maybe a lot of your questions will be answered.
  • Options
    rs1157rs1157 Member Posts: 41
    sorry pressed enter© well I wanted to say thanks for the PSI info© also For the Track Loc© What I am saying is In my opinionion tall tire or good, but what really looks good on a wrangler are the fat tires© You only get that size in 33"'s or if you are lucky, some 32"'s© With track lock you will end up changing all 5 wheels independent if you upgrage to 31" or 33"© That realy sucks if you have 30" tires now© My opinion is skip the TracLoc and the Dana 44© If you brake the axle, I know for a fact that the dealer will replace it© I know this is going to receive a lot of comments but the standard is a Dana 35 which is heaver duty then the Cherokee, GC, and the Liberty© Even if you are rock hop'in, like that lady it the yellow jeep, the 35 will be able to hadle it© You can say that the 35 is 25% stronger then neccesary and the 44 is using a tank to kill a poisons frog when all you need is a bb gun© Well that is my 2 cents© again thanks for all the info on the tire preasure© Also has anyone got any bikini tops for there jeep, any reviews? Got to go
  • Options
    last night. It was nice to meet some of my fellow Jeepers!
  • Options
    Funny, I feel the other way. I'd rather have the clearance, and need only enough width to pass the regs at state beaches (Cape Cod).

If you don't off road much, you can go with passenger car tires ("performance" tires). Some no name brands (oxymoron?) can be purchased rather inexpensively, and if you bruise on on the infrequent trail run, just get another.
  • Options
    ... and the bonus is, with street tires, you get a quieter ride, and maybe better mpg...
  • Options
    yellowmanyellowman Member Posts: 209
    Hey all

A few weeks back there was a thread on what to do about bug guts. Someone mentioned they use Meguiar's Quick Detail to get the bug guts and other debris off the front grill. I picked some up today, along with Armor All and a tire guage (all this talk about tire pressure made me curious what mine are since I haven't messed with them since picking it up a month ago). I figured I'd go with Quick Detail instead of Turtle Wax's Bug Remover or whatever it is. The latter sounded a little more heavy duty than what I needed, and the Meguiar's seemed like it would protect and enhance the wax. In reading the directions on the Quick Detail, it says to make sure you're parked somewhere in the shade and that the vehicle is cool. Is this important if I'm just wiping bugs and things off the grill? Most of the time when I notice things on there, it's right after I've been driving and it's hot. Thanks for any input!

yellowman
  • Options
    I've used this product for a couple of years and it's best if you can apply it to cool paint in the shade, but if you can't... the only downside I've noticed is that it streaks a bit and may leave a slight haze. This is more noticable on dark colors, but with your yellow Jeep, you shouldn't have this problem. It doesn't take much of this stuff, so start with a small amount and hit it a second time if you need to. Be sure to turn the cloth to keep form scraping the bug carcasses across the rest of the grille. I've been hitting the front of ours before I cover it up, and it's working well on the Jeep. That flat front collects bugs like crazy!

Amazing day here, low 80's plenty of sunshine!

-twylie
  • Options
    I HATE those bugs that fly into the grill of my Jeep! But they won't have the guts to do it again!

The quicker you get those bug guts off the better (and easier). Go ahead and laugh at me, but I use a wet paper towel and a dry one or two and get the bug guts off whenever I get where I'm going, or at least once a day when I put Thelma in the garage for the night.

That way, I don't have to use any kind of bug remover stuff.

tsjay

What's the last thing that goes through a bug's mind when he hits your windshield? (His butt!)
  • Options
    saharanutsaharanut Member Posts: 134
    Your just too much...
    you carry paper towels with you...to wipe off the bugs...dude I think you need counceling..
    You just too much...
    Ok now I'm confused about this PSI thing..
    do you go by whats on the tire...or in the
    manual..
    anyway the is the 21st century...why do we need tires we should be driving rocket cars by now..

Have a Jeep weekend guys!!
    Snut
    Terry
  • Options
    Howdy

Well, measured the pressure using my new tire guage and it looks to be at 39 all around. Seems kinda high, huh? This was measured after driving awhile, though. I'll try it again tonight when they're "cool" then make a decision on airing down.

yellowman
  • Options
    Howdy! I recall you ordered the duravent full cover recently. I have it too but haven't used it yet (was waiting for the wash which came today). Did you remove your antenna to measure where to cut the hole? I looked at my antenna and tried to unscrew it but I concluded that it either (1) doesn't unscrew or (2) is screwed in really tight right now. I'd like to remove it to measure the hole, but I also don't want to damage it. Any ideas?

yellowman
  • Options
    I didn't cut any hole! That antenna is flexible enough to bend back toward the windshield when you put the cover on- just lift the cover and reach in and push the antenna back.

If you cut a hole, then you're gonna let some water in under the cover.

tsjay

• Options
    Sounds good to me - just curious because the cover instructions say not to do that, but then again they weren't working with a JEEP! I guess I'll use the bend-an-antenna method. Can't argue with a man who carries paper towels everywhere he goes in the name of Thelma Jane's grille!

yellowman
  • Options
    That's where you messed up! Don't you know that you should NEVER read instructions? That's un-American!

tsjay

• Options
    styles8675309styles8675309 Member Posts: 12
    Ok so after some hard core time in the think tank i came up with the name "Apollo" sounds pretty good right? it has a strong sound to it. anyway... i've been noticing the bug guts alot and i've had the baby for 3 days now why is it that the bugs seem to suicide dive onto my jeep and not onto the old cougar?? anyway....someone help me with this delemna..... i want soo badly to take the doors off, but in doing so all the paint will scrape off of the bolt or whatever. so is there a bushing or anything that you can use so that the paint doesnt scrape off? someone help me!
  • Options
    I've noticed that, aside from bugs getting squashed on the grill, many small bugs like to land on the body (hood and doors) and just hang out. I don't know if they're eating the wax or the clearcoat or they like the yellow color or what. These are small bugs - maybe 1/4 the size of a fly or smaller. I brush them off when I see them, hopefully they're not doing any damage.

yellowman
  • Options
    Hey, I don't know of any way to get those door hinge nuts off without scratching the paint off the corners of them. As particular as I am about Thelma Jane's appearance, I still bit the bullet and took the doors off anyway.

I tried putting a rag over those nuts the first time I took them off, but it didn't help much, if any at all.

It is just so cool to go doorless that I went ahead and took them off, even though it was taking the paint off the nuts. There's always touch up paint!

Now, let me caution you to be sure to come straight up with the doors when you lift them off the hinges! Those threads are exposed when you take the nuts off, and those babies can scratch your paint on the fenders as the door comes up. I found out the hard way, unfortunately. I didn't scratch Thelma too badly, but it still made me sick that I scratched her at all. Some touch up paint fixed the spot pretty well.

The doors are much heavier than you would think they would be, so be prepared for that. Just go very slowly with the whole process. Be careful about what kind of wrench you use too. One slip of the wrench could mean a scratch in your paint.

It takes a 13 mm wrench for the door hinge nuts, and I used a boxed end wrench for that job.

Also, don't forget to take the fuse out for the overhead light. It's number 4 in your fuse panel, which is located behind the glove box. It is the bottom fuse in the right hand column of fuses. The light will stay on a few seconds after you pull the fuse, cause it works on a delay.

I bought a pair of door bags from Quadratec to store the doors in while they are off the Jeep. It's worth the money to know that they are well protected. I think they were about $100.

Good Luck!

tsjay

• Options
    Hey, Jeep Buddies! Thelma Jane has now been topless and doorless for a solid week. No rain, can you believe it?

I gave her a bath today, even though she didn't look a bit dirty. I wanted to see how tough it would be to wash her without getting her wet inside with the top and doors off. It was no problem at all- just had to be careful with the spray.

I hope I can make it another week with no top and no doors. What a blast it is to drive her like that!

tsjay

• Options
    In regards to my Jeep colors: I have a Patriot Blue with the gray interior. I have a few pictures of her after getting all muddy, but none of the interior (Those aren't developed yet, either). I will snag a digital camera from work to take a few pics. I plan on putting a web site up with some pictures and details. I will let you know the address once it is ready! I wasn't sold on any particular color, but I am VERY happy with the Patriot Blue. (The only color I didn't like very well was black and green, because they are so common.) I like the Blue over the Red by far. I wasn't sure between the tan and black top, or the gray or tan interior, but I am pretty happy with the gray interior and black top. Hope this helps!

JeepHead
  • Options
    You lucky dog! The weather here has been nice, but not nice enough to run topless the whole week. I haven't had the doors off yet, but plan on doing so soon. I've driven home 3 times this past week with the top down... it felt awesome! I have an hour drive, and for the first time in a long while, I haven't minded the drive. I can't figure out why...

JeepHead
  • Options
    I would like to add a trailer hitch and tow hooks to my Jeep. Are there any opinions about whether to go with dealer installed hooks/hitch, or are there some really good after market options? Also, what kind of price range (product/install) do these run? Thanks for any help you can give.

JeepHead
  • Options
    Do you have the full metal doors? If you have the half doors, are you still planning to take them off? Just curious.

I think if Thelma Jane had the half doors, I would still take them off. It's sure a great feeling driving around wihout the top and the doors!

Once again, congrats on getting that Jeep!

tsjay

• Options
    I have the full metal doors, and I plan on taking them off sometime soon. With driving an hour each way every day, I don't want to risk it just yet. I used to hate the look of the full doors on Jeeps with the top down, but it is really growing on me. I like the ability to switch between top on/top off and be able to take everything with you. However, I want to take the doors off for awhile as well. I have some vacation time coming up, when I can take the doors off and park in the garage in case it rains. I have a friend with a YJ that never puts the top up... can't see to doing that just yet!

JeepHead
  • Options
    goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    I think the dealer tow hooks are better for most because it lets you keep those little rubber bumpers on the front, and they have already kept me from 2 low-speed bumps that would have cost some $$. you can get them for $44 or so at www.jparts.com. The factory rear tow hook is good and pretty much the only thing going but it's a rip at $100 or so. I bought mine used on ebay for $20 from someone who was putting on a factory hitch, which brings me to another point: you can't have a regular rear tow hook and a hitch at the same time, though you can get a plug-in tow hook for the hitch itself.