Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RSX (All years/types)

Comments

• beowulf7beowulf7 Member Posts: 290
    Thanks for the reply and sorry for my tardy response. I only check this forum every couple weeks or so. :(

Yes, there is a maintenance schedule in the manual that shows what one should do for normal and severe driving. But I wanted to get real life examples of what people did.

For example, in my 20 kmi. service, I did an oil change, tire rotation, and wheel balance, but I didn't do any of those "check" stuff (check hoses, examine blah blah, etc.). I got my service done by a mechanic, Firestone, not by Acura. But for my 30 kmi. check (which will probably happen sometime early next year), I'll probably go to Acura and pay the couple hundred bucks. :\

So you went from driving 700 mi./week to 70 mi./week? Good job!
    Yes, the OEM foglights are prone to breakage. But do NOT use Stongard! At least a few people in another RSX forum complained that the Stongard plastic covering turned brownish after 6-12 months. Basically, it burned b/c of the foglights' heat.

I've had 0 problems so far w/ my aftermarket PIAA foglights (knock on wood!). Not to mention they're way whiter, brighter, and cheaper than stock foglights. I don't know why anyone would pay a ridiculous $400 for stock foglights. Maybe b/c of the warranty, I guess.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    trip to Texas over the weekend: 2500 miles in four days and oh what fun! This car will do some amazing speeds out there in the desert without even breaking a sweat. The bonus: with three people in the car plus luggage, running A/C the whole way and averaging better than 80 mph, it still managed to give me 33 mpg! Oh how I do like it. I've got just about 7000 miles now. Time for an oil change maybe...

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• acurarsxacurarsx Member Posts: 2
    I just got a RSX last week. Tonight is the first time I drove the car at night. I notice that the windshield fogged up. I turn the knob to the defrost setting. I can feel the air coming out of the vent by the windshield, but it did not reduce the fog. I try the suggestion from the manual to turn on re-circulating when I have fog on the outside of the wind shield, but that did not help.
    Has anyone experience the same problem? What should I do? Thanks.
    on the outside, you should use the wipers instead of the defroster. And in general, you should have recirc off to defog the inside quicker.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    While I'm not a fan of aftermarket tailights (altezza style or what have you), but today I saw a Blue RSX with what looked to be stock tail lamps with chrome rings that looked like they had bolts in them. It was really sharp. Kinda weird considering the RSX has no chrome on it:)

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

when I was at the dealer the other day, I asked if the base models are wired for the subwoofer at the back, the one from the RSX-S, and they said no. I don't want to get a big subwoofer that will make it impossible to put the back seats down or will take up half of the trunk. I also don't need booming bass, so I thought maybe I would get the Acura sub so it could hide away in the spare. The only reason I want it at all is because once it gets rolling, this car has NO bass at all. The noise from the tires drowns out any frequency lower than voice level. It is like the two tweeters on the dash are the only speakers working.

The guy said I could buy the sub and have an independent shop install it, but that sounds a bit sketchy to me. Is the subwoofer from Acura really so weak it is not worth it?

• michiganmanmichiganman Member Posts: 65
    nippononly, I have a 2002 base and also was disappointed with the stereo/bass. I upgraded the stock clarion headunit with an Alpine 9807, and it made a world of difference, it's like night and day. Remarkable clarity and bass response, even with the stock panasonic speakers. I was planning on upgrading speakers later, but tell you the truth the sound is so good I am not sure I need to upgrade them.

The headunit is the weak link - my advice is to replace that 1st, and if you feel like you need to upgrade further, then look at replacing speakers/adding sub.
    thanks for the response - I hadn't considered the head unit. The only problem is I am rather partial to stereos with knobs for volume and tuning, rather than the pushbuttons that seem to be the norm today. But perhaps I could find an aftermarket stereo that meets that description.

How much power does your Alpine have? Did you get a separate amp as well?

• bbl29bbl29 Member Posts: 1
    I was surprised when I found out the RSX has a turning circle of 38.1 feet. Are parking the RSX in tight spots or making U turns issues with this car?
  • joshsjoshs Member Posts: 22
    Nippononly, the type-S stereo has okay bass, but whether or not it's enough depends on what you want. You're not going to get the kind of "whole car vibration" that seems really popular these days, nor are you going to feel the bass in your teeth. Still, for drowning out the tires and actually hearing songs, I've found that my type-S has plenty of bass: that might actually part of the answer to our earlier conversation about road-noise and the tires, now that I think about it.

bbl29, I've had no problems parking or making U-turns, but a couple of exceptionally tight parking lots required some strategy when switching from one aisle to the next (usually when a car has created a space on the end of an aisle).
    turning circle of this car is a minor irritant, in that you have to plan ahead for parking spots a bit in lots, and it is impossible to make a U-turn on some streets. Yes it is large.

For comparison, my 4Runner has a tighter turning circle, and that is an SUV.

joshs: yeah, all I want to do is drown out the road noise, not rattle my teeth! I am going to look into both options - the Acura sub that fits in the spare, and an aftermarket head unit.

• li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    True, the RSX's turning circle is 2-4' larger than Civics, Accords, Camrys, but I've never noticed any problem making u-turns.

As for the stereo, agree with joshs that it won't knock your socks off, but it's pretty good and much better than the base model's. I don't care for overpowering bass, but sometimes I miss some extra power. And I definitely vary the volume to keep up with road noise as the speed goes up.
    My 9807 produces 50Wx4, and no I did not get a separate amp. I got it at Circuit City for about $250 (+harness+install).

I looked on the Alpine website and this exact model is discontinued, although the 9827 looks to be very similar.
    what power rating the stock head unit has?

No!! Do NOT get the Type-S' "sub" woofer. It is horrible. The Blose stereo system is an embarrassment to Acura, at least for the RSX. (The Blose audio system sounds better on my friend's 3.2 TL.) Most of the rental cars I've driven had better sounding bass.

If you want something that's cheap, relatively easy to install, and does not take up a lot of room, I'd recommend getting an Infinity BassLink. That's what I have on my Type-S and I really like it. :)

I know folks w/ the base RSX install the BassLink, so it's possible to install it in your car. You can find out the tech specs for the BassLink on www.crutchfield.com. And if you want to buy it, try looking for a new unit from Ebay. Good luck.
  • the_manthe_man Member Posts: 15
    I recently purchased a bright red, 2004 RSX Type-S. I've been breaking her in and noticed that the stock tires are horrible, especially in the wet. What would be a good replacement tire the is good in the wet and is also extremely sticky. I want the har's handaling to be top notch. I am not a drag racer and don't need slicks, but a super-sticky tire would be the way to go for me. What are some brands and tire makes I should check out? Also, are there any good 17-18 inch wheels (lightweight) for around 200 dollars that I should look at? I really like the cross spoke design of BBS wheels but I can't spend the money on them. Please give me some help on the tire and wheel choices.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Hi Ross - you may want to ask in the discussion Ask Connor at the Tire Rack. He has been very helpful with members and their tire and wheel needs.
    Ross, just wanted to let you know that I feel your pain! Yes the stock Michelins are pretty awful. Lots of wheel hop in the wet, and after 2 years the tires squeal even in the dry, in curves and during launch (sometimes even when I am not redlining!).

I will be watching for Connor's response, eager to see what he recommends. I am leaning towards Bridgestone Turanza LS-H, very sticky, and good in the wet. Probably not for you, since it is a grand touring tire instead of a performance tire, and you want top-notch handling (I am looking for comfort as well).

Good luck! Thanks for posting the excellent question.
  • rsxmanrsxman Member Posts: 1
    After 6 months of ownership with a 2003 Auto RSX, reading all of the comments, they are so true. The stereo reception is so bad, the CD's sound so good. The car seat material will give you a shock as you exit the car in any climate. The tip about letting a few pounds of air out of the tires helps on these New England roads as the impact jolts are reduced. On my wish list is for Acura to sell real body side molding to help fend off the door dings from other cars. I'll be looking for snow tires come fall. No problems to report so far with 8,000 miles showing!
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    These are all great comments and you should echo them in the "Suggested Improvements" portion of a car review.

The Consumer Rating on the site is showing a 9.3 with 116 reviews (see http://www.edmunds.com/new/2004/acura/rsx/100350404/ratings_consu- - mer.html?tid=edmunds.n.ratings_consumer.vdpheader.ratingsbox.1.Ac- - ura*)

To write a review on the Acura RSX click on the Rate It button on the above page.
  • li_sailorli_sailor Member Posts: 1,081
    Stereo reception? You mean the radio? Haven't noticed it being worse, I'll pay more attention. The antenna is integrated into the rear window, right? That's unusual, maybe a factor?

Shocks from the seats? Not for me...I guess that's an advantage that leather has ;-)

I guess that molding would help...I've been lucky so far with door dings, watch now, I'll have three when I get to it after work :-) It would certainly alter that clean slab-sided look.

Agree it's a stiff ride, but for me, the trade off in "ride-like-it's-on-rails" is worth it.

Biggest complaint for me is the lack of some niceties that I got used to in my last vehicle and that I miss so much...audio controls on the wheel, heated seats and mirrors, memory seat settings, etc. could have gotten the TSX and gotten all those for 5k, but no way...

Still, love the car, have put almost 15k on it since I got it last Sep and have never regretted my choice. Hardly. Often I drive upstate on weekends, 200 miles each way and I still actually enjoy the drive. This is an excellent driving, well built machine.
    zap me too! They are so sticky they give you static shock. It's worth it though for seats that keep you in place well. :-)

8000 miles and counting - no complaints and no problems. Does anyone wish the steering were perhaps a touch more precise on-center?

I am still waging the internal battle over what to do about the stereo. I will probably skip the Acura sub, since it will cost so much more than any aftermarket unit I choose. Will look into the BassLink.

• feltfelt Member Posts: 105
    Just a comment re the sterio. I was pretty dis-satisfied with the FM radio, but thought the CD sounded pretty good. I installed XM-radio, and what a difference. I am now completely satisfied with the sound system. Now, with that having been said, I am no hi-fi expert, but what a difference!!
  • types04types04 Member Posts: 12
    Hey everyone, Just purchased a 2004 RSX Type S in Arctic Blue Pearl. Anyway, anyone have pictures or updates on differences in the 2005 model?

Also, anyone know of any good sites to purchase authentic Acura accessories (like a wing, fog lights) at cheap prices? I used to know a few for hondas (traded in my civic), but am clueless with Acura websites.

Lastly, I've been reading that some people have installed Infinity Basslink subs to their car. If anyone has and is reading this, could they explain the steps needed to complete this. I'm not sure if it's easy to do since we have the Bose subwoofer already in the trunk and possibly could use that wiring? Also, if you have reviews, pictures, or anything regarding this on other websites for this car, please include a link.

I appreciate all the help and look forward to trying to help others as well. Most likely will make a webpage showing how I installed the subwoofer in upcoming months.
    Congrats on your new RSX-S. From what I've recently read, the 2005 RSX will have some new colors, a restyled front and rear, and maybe some interior refinements. I doubt the engine or its performance will change. In other words, it will be a minor reskin. But you just bought your car; are you just trying to Monday-morning-quarterback yourself?

About the BassLink, it's not too bad to do. I ran the power wire (use 8-ga. or thicker) from the battery through the existing grommet on the driver side of the firewall along the left side of the car, under the rear seats, and to the trunk. The ground wire can be connected to a latch behind the rear seats. Then I spliced the Bose woofer to tap the signal wires for the BassLink.

I can show you step-by-step instructions from another Web site, but the moderators of Edmudnds does not allow linking of other forums (anti-compete policy). If you provide me with your e-mail address, I can send you the links. It's definitely worth upgrading the stereo, either to a BassLink or whatever sub you want. The stock Bose system is a joke. :(
  • types04types04 Member Posts: 12
    Thanks beowulf7. My email address is:rsx593@yahoo.com.

I love the car and I heard rumors they might take away my color, so I'm happy I got it while its still available. On the same note, it would be nice to have the redesign, but I can't have everything. I never noticed how many other blue type-s's were around my town until after purchasing it though, I think there are 2 others.

I'm going for the basslink just because of the ease of upgrading and I still want to have space to put stuff in the back.
  • needinfo4needinfo4 Member Posts: 1
    I know four cylinders aren't known for there low end torque figures, but for comparison sake between the 94-01 Acura Integra LS and GS-R which has more useable torque at and below 3000 rpm(this is what the manual says to shift at for best fuel mpg) for around town driving? And what about the new Acura RSX and RSX Type S? I don't have much time for test drives so thank you for your time it is much appreciated.
  • kratas101kratas101 Member Posts: 33
    Just a heads up on those who don't visit vtec.net, information and pictures(at the bottom) can be found on all the updates to the 2005 RSX here: http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=260479
  • teamgekkoteamgekko Member Posts: 13
    2005 Acura RSX info is now available at Acura.com
    except for removing the scalloping below the head and taillights, most of the changes affect the type-S only. 210 hp from a 2-liter engine, wow! Not quite a Honda record, but fairly impressive.

I don't like the new front end that much - I think they made it look more similar to the Civic than it did before. But I like the taillights - now they match the look of the TSX.

• nitromaxnitromax Member Posts: 640
    The back tail gate has a higher lip to it now.

I'm still grumbling about Acura adding the heated mirrors to the standard equipment in the past couple of years. I didn't know I was paying a penalty for buying one of the first models off the line in 2001.
    :-(
    mine has the heated mirrors, because it is an '04. But I am noticing that many cars now seem to have these, even ones less expensive than the RSX. I think it is just the inevitable process of the market marching forward. It is also becoming very common for cars to have auto up AND down power windows, something that I really like about the RSX and which used to make it somewhat unique among cars in its price range. But no longer...

If I had just bought a type-S, I think I would be kinda bummed right now. Instantly my car becomes the 'S' with the small rims and the lower power. But I do think it is fair that Honda makes incremental improvements over the course of a model cycle to keep the car competitive.

From now on the most immediate competition for this car is going to come from the Scion tC, which is $3K less in both S/C and non-S/C versions, with the same power rating (off by 10 for the S/C vs the type-S now that Honda has raised the power for '05). So Honda is going to have to work to stay competitive. I fear for Honda's competitive advantage in small cars if it does not make big leaps forward with the '06 Civic, and to a lesser extent with the '07 RSX.

• aznstuartaznstuart Member Posts: 5
    Wait...did I miss something? What Scion tC S/C Version that has 200hp?

ANd the reason for the 3k difference is because of the Heated mirrors, leather, climate control more hp, 6 disc in dash...so on so on. Come on you guys, you gotta play fair.
    the LS in the old car and the base model for the RSX are the ones with slightly more low-end torque. The power in the higher-end models comes from revving them, and they consequently have higher redlines.

aznstuart: Toyota is offering a factory S/C option for the tC, which brings it up to about 200 hp. And that is from a 2.4 which has more torque. You are right that the standard leather etc on the RSX-S is worth the price differential, but what about the base car? Cloth seats, ditto. Single-disc CD, check. And the tC still has the bigger engine, XM- and MP3-capable radio, and reclining rear seats, not to mention the panorama glass roof and the 17" rims.

I just checked out Acura's site and am pretty impressed with the changes they've made to an already fine car. The lowered ride height (now at 5.4") and handsome 5 spoke 17" wheels make the RSX Type S look sportier and more aggressive (I like it). The new front and rear treatments seem to work well. I'm not too sure about the spoiler. The interior looks nice, but is there still no armrest? The extra 10hp looks like it is just marketing horsepower. Most of us probably won't notice the difference. I'm eager to hear if anybody drives the pre-'05 back to back with the '05 and lets us know what's going on.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

I agree that the extra 10 HP that the 2005 RSX-S will have will not be that noticeable since:
    a.) you need to rev higher (max HP is now at 7800 RPM vs. 7400 RPM that the 2002-2004 RSX-S have) and
    b.) the 2005 RSX-S weighs about 70-80 lbs. more than the 2002-2004 model.

I'm not really digging the triple circles that Acura uses for the new RSX's headlights and taillights. I do like the better quality seats and the stock 17" wheels. I also like the new magnesium metallic color, although it's replacing my desert silver metallic.

I know a few people who've already bought a 2005 RSX-S out in the West. It'll take NJ a little while longer to get them (my dealership said mid-Oct.) since the cars are typically shipped from Japan to some Western US ports, and then they are trucked eastward. But I'm not looking to trade in my 2002 RSX-S just yet. ;-)
    how many miles do you have now?

I am assuming there will be a new RSX for '07...perhaps a trade then, eh? I swore I would keep this one five years, so for me the earliest trade date is '09! :-/

I could see the next base RSX being similar in spec to the current 'S'. Maybe they could offer AWD and a slightly larger engine as well. But only if they could keep the weight under 3000 pounds, otherwise forget it.

An RSX AWD would be completely unecessary. The added weight (not to mention more computer complexity) of the AWD system would only hurt the RSXs' performance capabilities. Now if they made it RWD we'd be talking, but I have a better shot of making a video with Paris Hilton than a RWD RSX. I think they really need to add a Limited Slip Differential to help the RSX out!

For now I'll be keeping my '01 Prelude Type SH:)

yeah, I know, AWD adds lots of complexity and more than a little weight. But it is just plain too easy to get the wheels slipping from stops with the FWD, and imagine how much that could get worse with more power. Of course, I would love to see them go RWD with the RSX, but I am sure that is never going to happen (never say never??!!)

I have about 23.5 kmi. on my car now. :\ I put on a record # of miles last month - all that summer driving! LOL.

How many miles does your car have?

I initially swore to myself that I'd keep my car for 8 years - until 2010. But I'm getting tempted to explore my options. I'm definitely going to keep it until the end of the warranty - 2006. Then based on my finances, I'll either keep it another 4 or trade it in for another car.

But who knows what my financial situation will be by then, never mind if I get married and have kids.
    I actually would be in favor of an AWD RSX. I don't like FWD b/c I keep slipping my front wheels when I turn and accelerate. (Granted, I can upgrade my tires b/c we all know that the stock Michelins suck.)

I don't like RWD b/c we get a fair amount of rain and snow in NJ. If I lived in a warm weather state, then RWD would obviously be my first choice.

I figure AWD will add 50-100 pounds, but I think that's worth it if Acura adds a proportionate amount of power.

Maybe I'm hung over from last night, but I think Acura can add AWD and drop a 2.2 L engine and still keep the curb weight of a redesigned RSX < 1.5 tons. And that 2.2 L engine should do at least 240 HP/160 ft-lb.
    mine is just about to cross the 10K barrier - never again to have a 4-digit odo reading! *tears in eyes*

I would like to see them offer the current type S as base, or at least boost the base hp to be at least 20 more than the most powerful Civic, for '07. And I would like to see them put in SH-AWD, which I think would be possible while keeping the weight under 3000#. Now whether or not they could also put in the new 2.2L engine you propose and still hold the price to $23-24K is up for debate. Perhaps they could benefit from economies of scale by merely subbing in the TSX engine - would that add more than a few pounds?

My car will be out of warranty by early calendar-year '07, and I am betting the new model will be looking pretty tempting by then, what with it being close to close-out time when they go to the '08s in the fall. :-P

• angelo350zangelo350z Member Posts: 3
    Hello there RSX drivers. I was once the proud owner of a 2004 Arctic Blue Pearl RSX Type-S. Man I loved that car! Great interior, precise handling, and you gotta love that 8000 RPM redline. Unfortunately, it was time to move on so I traded in my baby for a 2004 Daytona Blue 350Z 6M. It doesn't come close to the RSX-S' refinements but all is forgiven once I hear the VQ growl. Well, good luck to all of you and by the way, what do you think about the 05's?
  • bobstbobst Member Posts: 1,776
    I really like the scalloped openings around the front and read lights on our 2003 RSX. With that gone, I think the car will look more like a Civic, just like someone else said.

We have the base model, which I guess has 16 inch wheels. The ride is about as rough as I would want. I would not want 17 inch wheels.

I don't drive fast and I don't think I have even had the engine over 5K rpm, but I doubt that any of you could possible enjoy your car more than I do.

My wife and I just went on a nice 60 mile drive today to the beautiful historic town of Fredericksburg VA, where we walked around town and stopped at our favorite coffee shop. It was a great day, and the car was a joy to drive.
    how well they do the suspension, 17s don't have to make the ride super-hard or crashy. This car will noticeably benefit from the bigger rims in '05, I am sure. Plus, the base and the 'S' should have had different size rims from the very beginning, so as to differentiate the two. I read (in here?) that Acura was going to use a 15 for the base model, but didn't like the way it tested or something, so went to the 16 for both. There are plenty of times I would wish for slightly more precise steering, especially on center, as well as a little tighter handling. I should have bought the 'S' for that, but didn't want the higher insurance, the lower mid-range torque, and the premium fuel requirement. (or the leather, honestly).

• indy6packindy6pack Member Posts: 10
    I recently totaled my 1 yr old RSX. I loved that car and was very pleased with Acura. I want to get another Acura but cannot decide if I should upgrade to a TSX. I feel like I might need a change but I wasn't done driving my RSX. Like the four doors of the TSX but like the sporty feel of the RSX. Any suggestions?
    Nycarguy--what do you think of the TSX...do you have any thoughts on that vs the RSX?
    having not driven either car, I could only speculate by what I've read and what others have posted...YMMV.

Are you getting stick or automatic? From what I've heard and read, the TSX is a completely different animal with the 6 speed manual.

Do you take long trips?
    How old are you?
    How'd you total your RSX?

I will be getting stick
    I have a 40mile one way commute to work...so yes long trips...
    I am 24 but i have a nephew that i am with all the time...
    I was side swiped on a fourlane highway and pushed into a barrier wall....spun hit the wall again and then across all four lanes into the right shoulder...Thankfully I am not seriously hurt...but my car was.
    What does YMMV mean?
This discussion has been closed.