Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RSX (All years/types)

Comments

• mdrivermdriver Member Posts: 385
    In Europe, top speed is possibly more important than 0 to 60, but in the U.S., it is irrelevant due to low speed limits (most states still have the limit at 65). A three cylinder Metro will break that limit easily.
  • beowulf7beowulf7 Member Posts: 290
    Well, it's not *just* for the driver, but useful for the passenger. While I'd be driving, it's not like I'd be mesmerized by watching the LCD clock tick every second. I'd just take a glance at it to see how much longer until the track ends (assuming that the song is the typical 4 min.) Using your theory, why even bother showing what track you're on?

Most CD players (well, at least the Integra's stock player) retain in memory where the CD was stopped (either shutting off the radio or the car), so that when you turn on the car and player again, it picks up exactly from where it left off. Thus, if you stopped it one day then continue listening to that CD again another next day, you'd know precisely how long into that track it is.

I wouldn't think it's expensive or difficult to display the running time. After all, the first generation home CD players showed the running time. (Some even showed time left to end or track, total time into the CD, and/or total time left on the CD. My antiquated, 10 year old home stereo CD player does all this.) Maybe I'm the only one who would find this useful, but I just wanted to find out if the RSX's stock CD player displays the running time.
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    Our state limit just got bumped up to 65 a few years ago. It was 55 before.
  • ligartligart Member Posts: 109
    lol ... I'm kinda just arguing for argument's sake ;-)

I'm the type who likes to keep things simple and hates "too much information". Maybe it's because I'm a programmer by trade and get enough of that at work :-D

For example, a nearby town installed new crosswalk signals that, instead of just flashing a red hand, count down how many seconds before the cars are gonna start running you over. To me, it's unnecessary; if the red hand starts to flash, don't enter the crosswalk!

Another thing is how some cable stations now have a bar across the bottom telling you what movie you're watching (like you need to be reminded during the entire 2 hours), or during commercials have sub-commercials telling you to go to the product's internet site. Ugh.

But then I'm getting off-topic ;-)
    Arguing for argument's sake can be especially fun when there's only 1 person involved in the argument, but let's not get into that (any further) ;-) Anyway, I understand your point, ligart. I did some programming for a while. Now I don't anymore; maybe that's why I need some more information when driving and listening to my CDs. (For the record, I'm against the ability to surf and drive.)

Another use I thought of when having a second-by-second count of the current track is to find out the length of the current track. Not all CDs list the playing time of all its tracks, so you can skip forward by a track, then search backwards until you get to the end of the previous track. Thereby, you'd know how long that track is.

Now my turn to get way off topic. It's funny you mentioned the count down timer to tell you how much longer you have "before the cars are gonna start running you over". I've kind of wished that normal traffic lights had a timer. All too often on a high speed road, the yellow light is not long enough. So you get caught in between: should I gun it and hope to pass the light before it turns red or should I slam on the brakes and hope to stop before crossing the intersection? If there were a timer, then as you'd approach a green light, you'd know exactly when the light will turn yellow (and consequently, red). I realize that can introduce all sorts of problems (the F1- and Nascar-wannabe drivers would have a field day with the timers), but it's an interesting concept to consider.

We now return to our regular scheduled program: Acura RSX (2002).
  • chem123chem123 Member Posts: 272
    I always thought the reminder during a cable movie was for the people just tuning in without digital cable (which would already inform them of the movie they are watching). Just a thought...
    Our cable company offers the option of clicking a button to find out what movie you're watching, and a little synopsis of it, as well.
  • chem123chem123 Member Posts: 272
    Has anyone actually seen or heard of an RSX autocrossing? I'm curious how they will fare compared to Integras.
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    So, I went to my local Acura dealership hoping to test drive the RSX Type-S. They had none in stock and no demos to test drive.

The salesperson asked me if I wanted to get on 'The List'. "List, what list?", I replied. "We have a waiting list for the RSX Type-S and we only sell it for MSRP", he said. He then pulls out an actual list of people who are in line to buy the car at list price. And none of them test drove the car. I was totally blown away. People are actually buying cars at MSRP without test driving them! In this economy?! WOW! I would have understood it, if it was an MDX, but this is an RSX, a new Integra, a bread and butter car for Acura. One would think that car buying would be scarce these days especially after the reports of consumer confidence being sharply down. I guess the price is really steep for those people who want to be the first in their neighborhood to have the latest car. I guess I'll have to wait a while and try to test drive the WRX instead.
  • civic_cx_92civic_cx_92 Member Posts: 87
    2002 GTI's base sticker $18,910

VW has boosted its 1.8-liter turbo's horsepower to 180 and torque 174 lb-ft.

http://www.autoweek.com
    Tougher competition for RSX, isn't HP war great?
  • fxashunfxashun Member Posts: 747
    They are already kinda hard on the pocketbook in maintenance costs and then you add a turbocharged engine to the mix. What kinda resale are those gonna have down the road?
  • himilerhimiler Member Posts: 1,209
    Do yourself a favor, and test drive a 2001 Prelude before they're gone forever. After extensive handwringing over the RSX-S and WRX wagon, I cancelled my WRX order and bought the Prelude for $300 over invoice. With the money I saved by not paying sticker for the RSX-S, I'll be doing some underhood "revisions" on the 'Lude.

The RSX-S is a very nice car with an outstanding engine, but I think that the Prelude drives and rides loads better (and it's quieter, too), and doesn't make you pay for leather and climate control. And it sure doesn't look like a Civic.
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    I thought the Ludes are all but sold now. I'll see if I can find some around my area. Thanks.
    VW's resale is at least as good as Acura's. The turbo is a proven device being driven around Europe by the million.

The reason waiting lists are present for the RSX is because it is a new vehicle after the last one went for seven years without a redesign. The 6th gen Civic in late '95 had exactly the same response when it came out. Yes a Civic! But after about 4 months, you could buy one for well under list.
  • dms7dms7 Member Posts: 3
    I own a SUV now and want to buy a RSX, but am hesitating since it is a new model. Before dropping $23K I would greatly appreciate some feedback: (1) Since the Integra was rated very unsafe, how safe do you think the RSX is? Should I believe Acura's marketing fluff? AND (2) How well will an automatic (FWD) RSX perform in the snow and sleet of a CT winter?
    is as good as Acura's. A 100,000 mile Jetta can't be given away whereas an Integra is still in demand. And the GTI is a cult favorite but as sales figures show it's nowhere near as popular as an Integra. Try to find a GS-R at all let alone one in great shape and you will pay top dollar. Check Kbb or edmunds and you will see that VW Golf Jetta resale is nowhere near that of a comparable Acura.
  • mitsugstmitsugst Member Posts: 41
    mdriver,
    First off, SUVs are less safe than cars due to their ground clearance and tendency to roll over. If you are comparing it to SUVs, then the RSX is definitely ahead. I have seen many winter storm accidents in the snow/rain where at least 50% of the SUVs involved ended up upside down, whereas the cars involved rarely ever ended up upside down. Fact is that if you end up upside down, you chances of living are very slim. I can tell you horror stories about helping carry dying bodies from turned over SUVs, after getting out of my car which didn't turn over in the pile up, etc. I am sure that 3 of the 4 bodies that I've helped carry (to this day) ended up, or were already, dead. Let me tell you, this is horrible (you wouldn't even want to imagine what I've seen).

As for the RSX, I don't know too much about it's safety, since I haven't heard of crash tests... But, looking at the way it's constructed (and what I've read of how it is constructed), it's looks very solid and promising. My cousin and I ran a body shop once upon a time (and let me tell you, I have some experience with knowing what will and won't hold up in a crash), and the vehicles we did were Insurance company repossessed ones due to severe crashes. Also, I've seen the entire enterior torn out of an RSX (done to replace wiring due to theft), and there are impact beams where you would never imagine. The most significant was the huge impact beam that runs the width of the car that is located in front of the rear seat bottoms. This thing is massive, very impressive, and all new when it comes to impact beams. The car seems to have been made, from the ground up, with safety in mind. In fact, I think it is too safe (for my tastes), they could have cut back and gave more interior room, and niceties. For example: if you open the sunroof (the one thing that detracts from safety in it's entirety), it actually only opens half way. The glass is actually twice the size of the opening viewed from the inside. I hate this fact. Why couldn't they give us a big sunroof like other coupes/hatchbacks (Mercedes C-coupe comes to mind). What Acura wanted, is the look of a nice sunroof, but the safety of a tiny porthole, which we got. At least they didn't go to the extreme of not offering one (Subaru WRX comes to mind).
    If you compare a 1 or 2 year old Golf to the same Civic, you will find that the Golf has slightly better resale value. I compared a 2000 Golf GL and a 2000 Civic EX (with similar known new MSRPs) and the Golf's value was a few hundred $ higher than the Civic. You are implying that reiability alone is the reason for resale values. Not necessarily so.
  • only1harryonly1harry Member Posts: 1,140
    heheh, your RSX-S is more rare than Type-Rs are in Arizona! I 've read that there are only 6 '00 & '01 (black & yellow) ITRs in AZ. Exclusivity is nice..
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
    '11 BMW 335i coupe xDrive
    '13 Honda Accord sedan (wife's car)
    The new RSX is based on the new Civic, which received 5 stars on the crash tests. I don't think it's erroneous to assume that the RSX would be just as safe. The only serious

As for resale value-
    The only VW Golf and Civic that I found to be even similar in price were a 1999 VW Golf GL which had an original MSRP of $15,425. A 1999 Honda Civic LX had an original MSRP of $15,245.

The trade in value given for the VW was $12,950.
    The trade in value given for the Honda was $12,050. The VW has $900 more in resale than the Honda, considering that it only costed $180 more to begin with.

However, it depends on the model year, also.

A 1998 VW Golf GL had an MSRP of $15,955.
    A 1998 Honda Civic LX had an MSRP of $15,145.

The Golf has a trade in value of $10,950 while the Civic's is $10,450. This time around, the VW costed $810 more than the Civic, but its trade in value was only $500 more.
    Not that that's a big difference. It's apparent that VW's hold their value just as much Hondas do, but as they get older, the price gap in resale value between the two brands decreases.
    "down the road" on the resale. Because I know a high mileage VW product will be a much tougher sell than a Honda one.
    Frankly a see whole lot more used Civics on the road than I do VWs. Either people don't buy them or they just don't last as long.
    You see more used Civics on the road than VWs because they sell many times more Civics as new than they do VWs.
    Thanks for pointing that out, mdriver.

Just looked up the stats, and the Civics are selling as well as the Camrys. The closest competitor to the Civic is the Focus, which had about 10,000 less units sold. With all those sales number, it's hard to believe that Honda is still a small automotive company.
    In terms of units sold, worldwide.
    Honda doesn't seem like a small Co. in the US because it is their largest market. Globally, Honda is a smaller player, particularly in Europe, where Honda is not regarded as a having a very strong product line (as compared to VW and the other Euro brands).
  • m3fanm3fan Member Posts: 30
    Here it is:
    My friend and I saw the new RSX by the mall one day and it instantly caught our attention. So we booked a test drive.
    I really liked the look of the car. However, after I sat in and test drove I was less impressed. I don't have many complaints about the ride. The shifter feels great. To keep the fun going, you cannot let RPMs drop below 4000 because then there is no response when you hit the gas. The steering and handling was nice as I was doing 120km/h in two turns.
    However, my major disappointment is the interior. It really feels cheap. I know that it is very relative and subjective thing. I was comparing it to the VW, which I test drove two weeks before the RSX. The plastic in the RSX just doesn't cut it. The climate controls, although nice, could use some refinement. The worst part for me was easily the door handle. Cheap plastic painted so it looks like metal. In GTI, it is metal! Also, I personally take my very first impressions about a car according to the sound that the door makes as you close it. There's nothing like a German car's "thump". Solid, smooth, and precise. The RSX was far from that. I expected something more of an Acura than Honda feeeling inside. I know, they're same, but if you have a luxury brand, keep it that way! The exterior looks great and I hate to admit it but it is more sporty looking than the GTI.
    However, when I get my car later this year, or early next year, my money is going to the 2002 GTI 1.8T with 180hp, 174lb/ft of torque (its full amount available at 1900rpm!!!).

That's all.
    Acura, for some reason, uses cheap plastic on almost all of their cars, except for the super expensive RL (why does it cost so much?).

Even entry luxo TL uses fake wood trim, whereas other makers don't.

But I think what they lack in substance they make up for in performance. The RSX may not be the fastest car in the world, but when you rev that engine, you gotta admit that it's pretty fun to drive. Cousin has an Integra and it's still fun to drive after all these years.
  • yyyuuuyyyuuu Member Posts: 2
    I have the 2002 RSX and recently the engine light went on. Took it to the dealer. They said it was an H02S sensor Code 072. What kind of code is that? They said that there is nothing wrong with the car; others have been coming in with same problem. Dealer says Acura working on the problem. The light did go off on its own a day later but still wanted to check it out. Has anyone else experienced this problem with their RSX. Thanks.
  • sgrd0qsgrd0q Member Posts: 398
    My RSX-S was pretty much perfect when I picked it up. Now a few rattles have developed - one from the sunroof, one from the front right speaker (just under the windshield) and one from the rear left side (can't identify where it comes from). I now have just under 2K miles on the clock. Will bring this up when I go for my first oil change.

Does anyone know if anything can be done? The rattles are very annoying and appear even when going over minor road imperfections. I guess this is because the suspension is fairly stiff.
    You've got to love those 1st year models, eh?

If the dealer can duplicate the rattles, chances are they can be corrected.
    Even Toyota is a smaller player there. That's not a fair comparison because while the European brands are well regarded here they don't sell in high volume and if you want to talk sales volume none of the European brands sell as well as Honda here. Does that make them small players?

Strange someone complains about the plastic in the interior. Proof that you can't be everything to everyone. This months R+T liked the plastic they said "it's unique design ad texture add to the "tomorrow's design today" look of the car.

And as far as lower end torque is concerned that's also a matter of preference. I like my power up where I would have always expected my Hondas to make it. Up high. I have driven the RSX and had no problem with the power delivery. Again it's a matter of preference.

Let's compare the two though. Acura has a timing chain and Honda engines are known for thier longevity with minimum care. The VW has a Turbo with it's prerequisite limited lifespan if it's not warmed up and cooled down carefully. The VW does have the German solid door slams but then again there are many Honda/Acura that have gotten by for many years and miles without the "german sounding" doors. Not to mention gas mileage, accessory longevity, resale. It's all a matter of preference in the styling dept but you gota admit the Golf has looked more or less the same for over a decade now. But hey at least it sells well in Europe huh?
  • uthinxuthinx Member Posts: 21
    The RSX has a newly designed door seal which seems to make a more secure contact than seals I have seen on other cars; hence it damps that 'solid slam' sound some people seem to be looking for. If the sound the door makes when closing is your criterion for judging the quality of build then your perfect house would be the inside of a bank vault.
    Rattles: it is widely known that the rear speaker covers in the RSX are slightly loose in many delivered to date. Solution: pry off very carefully with a screwdriver working from the top slot down to the bottom and install six pieces of foam or felt adhesive (dime or penny thickness) near each of the post holes. Snap the covers back on: noise gone. Also rattles: the seat belt cllip against that little plastic protrusion on the belt if no one is in the passenger seat to wear it and as in many sports cars anything you may be carrying with you which isn't cushioned by a seat: cd jewel boxes, cassette boxes, tic-tacs, etc.
    If you look long enough and carefully enough at any car you will not find a perfect one because they are still designed and assembled by human beings and limited by inherent factors: price and application for example. It's how well that they meet the design goals and limitations; or exceed them; that determine the value of the car in the buyer's opinion.
  • kartezkartez Member Posts: 48
    I think most Acura models do lack the "solid slam" sound when doors are shut. Well, I should say "solid thud". Acuras feel not so solid in this aspect.

On the last auto show I tried "slamming the door " experiment on many cars including all European, Japanese and American luxury makes. In the Acura model lineup I tried this on TL and Integra and I found them lacking the "solid thud" sound. This did not happen on other Japanese luxury makes including Lexus and Infiniti.
    How solid is solid?

If you want a expect a solid thud coming from the sound of a door when you close it, maybe you've been slamming it too hard all these years.

The RSX is a light car- its doors won't be as heavy as other cars to illicit that "thud" sound, anyway. It doesn't mean that the car isn't as well built as any other.
  • dmbst68dmbst68 Member Posts: 50
    My RSX, that is. Eternal Blue, leather, Automatic, cargo net. Waiting for my fog lights, mud flaps, and 6 disc in dash changer to come in. The sportshift is a blast to drive. Only complaint is there's no bass in the sound system. I drove it a lot this weekend...27 mpg when I gassed up...mix of city/hwy mileage, but mostly city.
    Is in this months Turbo Magazine. Torque curve is pretty flat from 2500 rpm to redline. 115 lb.ft. +/-10lb.ft.
    I am not commenting on general build quality of Acuras. I just said they seem lacking in this aspect. Its one of those subtle things that differentiates luxury cars from regular economy cars.

My take on Acuras in general is that there is not much of brand differentiation between Acura and Honda as it is between Lexus and Toyota. Lexus takes care of these subtleties very well. Even the base IS300 is considerably different than its comparable Toyota offering, the Celica. If you slapped a Honda badge on a TL or RSX it wouldn't be out of place in a Honda showroom. Even though Integra had an Acura badge its interior did not have a luxury car look. It was sporty but not luxurious.
    If you take exception to IS300 being compared to Celica, I did it because they are supposed to be the sportiest models in the lineup. A comparison between ES300 and Camry is also valid in this context.
    The ES300, as reviewed by Edmunds, can be easily traced to its Camry brother. Besides overall looks, the Accord and TL are quite different.

Even on its list of twinned vehicles, Edmunds lists the Camry and the ES300, but leaves out the Accord and TL.

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying/articles/46969/article.html#List
    has no engineering or design clones in the Toyota lineup. In fact the only Lexus car that has a Toyota clone is the ES300. All Lexus trucks are clones of Toyota trucks though.
    Dmbst68, while it looks like Acura did a good job of upgrading components and some interior styling of the RSX compared to its predecessor Integra, they've once again neglected the stereo. The Int had no bass either, and what a shame the RSX doesn't either. And don't get me started about the lack of CD play time display in either vehicle (I already bitched about that ~60-70 posts ago). Since you bought your RSX, you might as well get real speakers, stereo (maybe one that plays MP3s?), and a sub. Then, you'll have a slammin' sound system - and my envy.
    You can't please everyone. The RSX nor the Integras strong suit was ever supposed to be the stereo. In my opinion it's stereo is going to be just like the rest of the car, good enough for 90% of the people that want one but there's always someone that want 19 inch tires and 300 hp or 12 12 inch woofers and 5000 watts of stereo. The RSX is fine the way it is, if you don't like it there's the aftermarket or the OTHER market.
    I know that ES300 and Camry are clones and Celica and IS300 are not. I was saying that Lexus models do feel substantially more luxurious than the Toyota models. This is especially true when it comes to "solid thud door closing sound" I was mentioning earlier.

I just feel there is not much brand differentiation between and Honda and Acura models especially in the case of TL and Integra. I haven't had the chance to look up the RSX closely. I've just seen one on the road. But I hope Acura has done something to justify the badge on RSX.
  • cainyamcainyam Member Posts: 1
    was on 3 times this 1.5 month. The dealer said they'll change the microchip at the 4th time. Is that a general problem of Honda cars?
    Cainyam--No, that problem sounds exclusive to your car.

Kartez-How's this for justification? Take a Civic, throw a bunch of pretend luxury at it, install an engine with less character than the Integra's B18C (but it sure is smooth!) under the hood, and bump the price up few thousand dollars. Wham! Instant Acura!
    You've cracked the code!

But come on...we all know Honda/Acura are not the only ones guilty of this.

Just look at the new Camry & ES300- they're visually identical from the front (I'm pretty sure the underpinnings are too), and yet the ES300 costs at good $10,000 more.
    Off topic here, but ES300 has a truly luxurious interior vs. the Camry's workaday appointments. The ES gives you lots more isolation from road and wind noise, computer controlled suspension, and keep in mind how Lexus ranks in JD Power satisfaction surveys--top spot for five years running.

I'm still not convinced that the RSX offers enough of a performance advantage over the GS-R to justify the price increase. Road & Track's full test clocked the RSX-S at 6.7 seconds in the 0-60 test, only half a second quicker than a '99 GS-R. Shockingly, the braking performance was actually worse in the RSX-S (crap tires)!

For the $3000 difference, you could do some mods on a GS-R that would give WRX drivers serious fits.

I think Acura decided to make a bigger margin on the RSX than they did on the GS-R, and figured the market would be happy to bear it. Acura might just discover that wasn't the brightest idea.
This discussion has been closed.