Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RSX (All years/types)

Comments

• acrsxacrsx Member Posts: 3
    Its a tad above the $20k mark, but hey, the nav looks totally sweet!
  • subzero206subzero206 Member Posts: 111
    and for under 20k MSRP!
  • fxashunfxashun Member Posts: 747
    Smartypants.
  • beowulf7beowulf7 Member Posts: 290
    Shifty, where is the discussion on the 2003 (not 2002!) Acura RSX? Please provide a direct link since you closed my original discussion board saying that this board already exists. Thanks.
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    You can post your questions about the 2003 RSX in this discussion. We purposely leave the model years off of certain discussions, so people can discuss more than one year model in the same area. This helps to reduce the amount of discussions needed for one particular make/model. Otherwise some of our busier boards tend to get very cluttered, making it difficult for people to find the main ongoing discussions.

Back to the subject of the RSX. Have you checked in Edmunds' Future Telling section for news on the 2003 RSX? Here's a direct link to the Acura section. Hope this is helpful. Perhaps someone else has more to add.... Thanks for your particiption. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • irontigerirontiger Member Posts: 20
    I am planning to get a Honda Civic as a daily driver. With all of the extra options installed, the price will come around $17,000. Do you think I would be better off going for the base RSX instead? How much are you guys paying for insurance? Will repairs be very expensive?
  • aroonaroon Member Posts: 2
    Hello everyone. I am new here. Does anyone know where reverse is situated in the RSX six speed tranny? To the left of first? Or beside sixth?
    And to any owners, is it possible to screw up the car buy accidentally shifting from second to first (yes, i know that first is directly up from second, but still), if reverse is beside that gear>?

Or is it possible to shift from fifth to sixth if R is situated there?

The reason I ask is that although i have driven the base RSX, i did not have shift into reverse, and generally Honda products do not have a "reverse mechanism." For example Fords (Focus and Cougar, to name 2) have a ring to pull up to shift into reverse.

-Aroon
  • mikemajestymikemajesty Member Posts: 99
    does anyone know when the type r is officially coming out, because i am getting a new car in august and am ready to put a deposit down on the 350z. the z costs 27 grand. do you know if the rsx r will be cheaper than that or not. if its not, i cant imagine it selling well. but anyway, if anyone could tell me when the type r is comin i would greatly appreciate it.
    You'll find a little information about the 2003 RSX Type R in Edmunds' Future Telling. Others here may have more to add. Good luck. ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • jfunkjfunk Member Posts: 25
    I wouldn't pay over 25G for the type R personally. Have you considered the RX8 also? It should be priced in line with the 350Z with RWD and perfect 50/50 weight distribution.
    i have but i already own a rotary and know what the reliability is like, no matter what mazda may claim. i need a car to last me a very long time. the rsx-type s is 24 grand, so maybe the type r will be around the same, because the last type r was about the same as a loaded gs-r.
    despite rotary reliability, if they actually brought back the rx7, id probably get one.
    Mike, what Mazda did you have? I knew there were problems with the RX7's with turbo in the past, but the new 8 is naturally aspirated. That said I'm sure they're more expensive to repair do to the exclusivity of the rotor.
    You should pick up the new issue of R&T you may rethink 'needing' the RX7 as the Mazda spokesman told the R&T editor, "We made the body of this thing stiffer than that of the RX7". I still have issues/reservations/dissapointment, over Ford owning like 30% of Mazda now, but that's a personal qualm. The good news is this one seems to be made entirely by Mazda, and not Ford (who almost nixed the project from the start).
    If you were seriously considering the RSX, you may want to hold out to see what the "sporty"
    '03 Accord coupe will look like, as it is supposed to fill the Prelude void. (Which I am lamenting being a '97 type SH owner)
    im not really into coupes that are as big as the accord. if the type r comes out in september or earlier and is under 26 grand im definately getting that. and yeah i know how good the new rx8's handeling is and all that, but the reliability will still be crappy. a new engine in the first model year is bad enough, but a new rotary is even worse. as for what i had, my dad had a 3rd gen r1 and i have a first gen with a second gen tII motor. like you said, the reliability isnt all that bad but considering what the cars cost parts are super expensive.
  • himilerhimiler Member Posts: 1,209
    The position for reverse is to the right of 6th.

There is an internal lockout mechanism that prevents the gearshift lever from going directly into reverse from 5th.

Yes, the tranny will allow a 2-1 downshift, which (if done unintentionally, say, during a 2-3 upshift at redline) will cause mechanical damage to the engine by over-revving it.
  • deplorableonedeplorableone Member Posts: 8
    THe RSX is ugly i would rather buy an Integra and to the JDM front end conversion. Plus the Integra handles better
    havent heard anyone say that the integra handles better than the rsx. where are you getting that from?
  • wishnhigh1wishnhigh1 Member Posts: 363
    well the integra has a lower center of gravity and definitely feels like it handles better. I don't know if it can actually corner faster or more neutral or anything, it just feels like the Integra handles better. The models I have driven were a 2000 GSR and a 2002 RSX-S
  • irontigerirontiger Member Posts: 20
    Will the RSX be more expensive to repair than the Honda Civic EX? How much are you guys paying for your insurance? Thanks
    One thing to also take into consideration is the factory warranty. The Acura warranty is 4 year/50k and includes roadside service. The Honda warranty 3yr/36k, with no roadside service. Therefore, if you plan on keeping the vehicle for around 4 years, you're repair costs are pretty much covered with the Acura, up to 50k miles.

On the Civic, you're subject to repair costs after the 3rd year or 36k miles. Of course let's not forget that Honda/Acura has a pretty good reliability record. You can check with Edmunds' Maintenance Guide to find out the manufacturer recommended service schedules and costs.

As for insurance, keep in mind that a number of different factors are going to effect your rates: location, state requirements, age, sex, driving record, and etc. Also, when comparing, be sure you're plugging in the same exact line items such as liabilities, limits, deductible, and additional coverages....

Fyi, in Edmunds' Insurance Center, you'll find some good articles on shopping for insurance. Also on that same page, check out the link for a free insurance quote. That would be a good way to compare the rates between these two. Anyway, my 2 cents. Good luck with your decision. ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • lzguttlzgutt Member Posts: 1
    For those of us in states that require it, where on a 2002 RSX does a front license plate go? The front end looks great, but I've never seen an RSX pictured with two plates...
  • revitrevit Member Posts: 476
    I am debating between the RSX with an automatic transmission and the the Civic EX Coupe with an automatic transmission and side airbags. Obviously, the Civic is cheaper, but I welcome all comments on comparing the two regarding ownership cost, reliablity, etc.

Thanks!
    They will both be expensive to insure, the Acura more so, due to higher kit levels.

Both will exhibit excellent reliability, but the fit and finish and cabin materials will be a bit better on the Acura (built in Japan). The longer warranty and positive service experiences you'll receive at the Acura shop will, over time, go a long way towards offsetting the price difference between the two. You're not likely to find a Honda shop that offers loaners.

The RSX has a hatch, which gets the nod for utility. You also get a 5AT instead of the Civic's 4AT, providing better overall perfomance.

In addition, if you choose the RSX, you're not likely to meet yourself on the road 20 times a day like most Civic drivers do.

The RSX also has far better seats than the Civic, with available leather, if that's your thing.

Happy shopping!
    to insure by intellichoice.
  • carguy62carguy62 Member Posts: 545
    My Honda dealer gladly provides a loaner (they even rented me one when all of theirs were out) and I didn't even buy the car there. It's not just Acura that provides loaners. And you can have your Honda serviced by Acura and vice versa, I see Acuras at my Honda dealer all the time. Acura=Honda. Honda=Acura.
    Cheapest what--coupe, sedan? When you're talking 2-doors, you're always going to have higher premiums.

The Civic may be one of the cheapest in its class to insure, but when compared to a mid-sized sedan, it's pricey.

carguy62: count your blessings!
  • ranaldranald Member Posts: 147
    I suspect the RSX will be cheaper to insure than the Integra, at least wrt theft. IMO the lack of engine interoperability with the current Civic will make the RSX much less desirable to steal.

Just think about it- there are *alot* of Civic hybrids (Integra engine swap) out there, and just where do you think the engines came from?
  • beowulf7beowulf7 Member Posts: 290
    I called up my insurance company and the quote I got from them for a 2002 RSX-S is only a couple percent higher than what I currently pay for my 1999 Integra LS.
  • libraryuserlibraryuser Member Posts: 8
    Hello RSX fans.

I really don't know much about cars, but the time has come to buy a new one, so...

I want to buy a 2 door hatchback, and it seems that the RSX is in many ways just right (in large part because I don't want a Ford and the Golf/GTI seems to have too many problems). The thing is, will the RSX (or any high performance car) suffer from not being driven enough? Although I live in Southern California, I only drive about 10,000 miles per year, and I'd say that 80% of that is on short runs on surface streets. The other 20% is freeway/highway driving. To be honest, a Hyundai Accent GS would probably be adequate or even preferable for the 80%, but I want something more substantial for the 20%. Since I can afford only one new car, I have to go for something like the RSX; I want the side airbags, not to mention the added power. But, would treating an RSX like this cause any problems? Does an RSX need to be driven more frequently at higher speeds?

Also, is there a best time of year for buying a car like an RSX?

Thank you for any help.
  • carguy62carguy62 Member Posts: 545
    You make it sound like I am getting something special, which is not the case. Ask nicely and you never know what you may get.
  • swinga7swinga7 Member Posts: 45
    I just read in my new motor trend that honda will be adding 20 hp to the rsx type s next year. It doesn't say whether or not its going to be called rsx type s or type r but who cares.. I'm happy

they did this because they are taking the current type s engine (200hp) and putting it in next years civic si. Has honda been reading these boards? they are doing exactley what most of us wanted them to do.
  • verozahlverozahl Member Posts: 574
    I bought my Integra right before the RSX came out... good deal. As far as I know, the RSX sells for pretty close to MSRP.

The Integra/RSX [not Type R or Type S] base models are not exotic sports cars... you can drive them around like any other car. My Integra is 9 months old, 4300 miles on the odometer exactly. Excellent for around town and on the expressway... fun as a daily driver. The RSX is a little more stiff, but still plenty of fun.
    ... all you have to do is take a look at Honda's Japan-market website... looks fast in blue. Most Integra Type Rs that I see are yellow, was that the only color they were offered in?
  • tnguyen74tnguyen74 Member Posts: 65
    220 HP for the 2003 TYPE S or R? I feel bad now that I got mine this year and should've waited. And to put 200 HP Civic?? They sure raised the bar on compact cars.
    Getting a loaner at your dealership may not be anything out of the ordinary, but here in the fatcat Honda market that is Syracuse, no amount of niceness results in a free loaner at my dealer. I really can't complain too much though, becuase the service department at my dealer is outstanding.

Come to think of it, even getting a loaner at the Acura shop was sometimes a challenge.
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    If they give 200hp to the Civic Si, will the base RSX exist anymore? Or will they just give it the 200hp engine and change the Type S to 220hp? I guess Honda wants only Type-S for the Acura lineup (no TL type-R or CL type-R)?
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    I've read that Honda may bring over the 200hp Civic Type R. The Si will remain at 160hp.

The RSX-R is a lightweight, decontented version with an extra 20hp, LSD, and stiffer suspension. This is the car that many folks wanted the Type S to be.
    is coming, according to the news. That's fine. The Type S is nice too. However, there is room for the Base RSX, because that's what I would replace my Integra LS with if I had to.
  • redcivicboyredcivicboy Member Posts: 2
    I gave a $500 deposit on a 2002 RSX 5-speed at a local dealer. He did not have the car in stock and said he will locate it. Yesterday they called back saying that this specific car can only be found 160 miles away. I told him that I will not accept that car for my delivery date. He then offered to return my deposit. However when I went back to the dealership he said that he cannot issue a refund. He said that I sign the contact that stated "locate" and I did not give him any specs on the mileage and I should take this car. He offered to lower the price by 100 or I can select another car which they have. I really think that the dealer is being unreasonable because I signed the contract for a specific car by a specfic date even though it didn't specify mileage. Also waht if the car was a demo at the other dealership or maybe its was returned by a cutomer who bought it previously. Also he does not want to flatbed the car to the dealer. Therefore I am thinking the car is probably not very far away and he wants to stick me with a well driven car. I am so unhappy with this deal and would appreciate any adice and comments.

Thank you,
    Ashton
  • l_yao1l_yao1 Member Posts: 15
    I bought my type's just first time I saw it in the dealer. Before that I was thinking about to buy a GSR. But not too many on the market. I compare Honda Prelude, Mercedes Bens new C230 coupe and this new RSX types. Test drove them all, and after all the options are added. ( infact no option available for types.) so 51,000 CA$ (C230) vs 36,599 CA$ (Prelude) vs 35,979 (Types). and 192 hp(C230) vs 200 hp (Prelude) vs i-VTEC 200( types). which one you will choose? lol I bet the types. it is lot cheaper than what MB wanted. and more luxury than what prelude has. So finally I bought the Types!!! I love it. Already put spoiler and all kinds lights on my RSX. Waiting for the Turble kits come out. But I don;t think Acura will put out the 220 engine for next couple years. ( They just want to make enough money on this one I think lol!!) And there is a frined asking if he should take the 160 miles car,. I got my RSX at 240 KM in dealer and I got free Cassette Player and Protection Pkg for free( 1700 CA$ as they told me) so would you think about some diccount on yours? But I told them to give me a Car under 50 KM, so they had no choice cuase they don;t have any availuble for me till two month later! Lol! So I got some payback from them I think. But if you didn't specifie the milege when you sign the contract, you then maybe just take it, and take the 100 off the price. Because your warranty also start at 160 miles not 0!! I don;t think Acura car could have any different from 0 to 160! So this just my oppinion so think it yourself and do the thing you happy with!!! And if anyone know where can I get Turble kit sooner then the book said. Please post one for me thanks!!!
  • chem123chem123 Member Posts: 272
    Buying the 160 mi car just because the warranty may start at 160 rather than 0 is a horrible reason to buy that car. It is important to get a low-mileage car so that you can be assured that break-in is done correctly. Did you read the contract that you signed? There should be a clause in it that you can reject what the dealership "finds." Two things that work beautifully with imbecile salepeople: talk to their superiors and threaten a small claims case. They are in the business of making you happy. Unfortunately, the general American car-buying public seems to be content with paying MSRP and taking crap from dealerships. Whatever they can force upon you will make them better. I am not an expert on this topic, but I do know how the car-buying experience should be. Good luck with your situation. Also, try posting this in the Acura Integra forum Part 2 or 3 (can't remember). Smart guys in there.
    Turned out to be the worst mistake of my life. Make em give yoou a car with less than 5 miles on it. If you don't see it with the plastic protectant strips on it don't by it. It's a used car in my eyes.
  • swinga7swinga7 Member Posts: 45
    next year the type r rsx is coming.. the type r civic is not. the civic si hp will be boosted to 200hp.

they aren't changing the rsx lineup other than just adding the type r.

this is according to the new motor trend magazine so its a pretty reliable source
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Actually, I've found MT to be pretty bad at that stuff. Just as an example, they published a 3 year old drawing of the Honda CM-V (not a typo) concept and called it the 2002 CR-V. Two different vehicles and 3 years out of touch. I'm not saying that they are wrong about this, but I don't follow their lead blindly.
    Motor Trend is the Coors Light of car mags. Read AutoWeek!

And will someone please explain to me just what the hell a "Turble kit" is?

redcivicboy: You are allowed to refuse the car, but the dealer might not be obligated to give you back your deposit. Be sure and tell the sales manager that you don't want this particular car BEFORE the dealer gets it from the other lot. Otherwise, they will not even entertain the idea of a refund.

I do know that in NY, if the dealer is assisting you in obtaining financing for the car, you can walk away from the deal at any time (with a refund on cash down) if you don't like the terms of the financing. Good luck.
  • libraryuserlibraryuser Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for answering my question.
  • l_yao1l_yao1 Member Posts: 15
    Sorry for the spelling mistake, so I meant turbo not turbl..e.... LOL!
    In fact, this rsx is my third "first hand" car, and before this two are Civic and Xterra. They never got 0 km when i bought them, so whatever you think 160 mile means, then just follow your mind not others opinions, cause after all you need to drive them not us. So good luck you!!!
    In response to libraryuser's inquiry, the RSX is not 'too much' in terms of performance... it's only 'too much' in terms of value. For only a little (very little) more than a LS Integra MSRP, Acura threw in automatic climate control and keyless entry on the base RSX. Too much value, and 160 hp is very desirable.

That said, there's nothing in the market now that says 'you bought your car too soon.' The Integra interior is functional, and the exterior is a classic.

Too much car? That would go to the NSX, no problem... actually, for $90,000, I would argue it's not enough, but Honda-Acura is talking about a new NSX with more power in the next few years. We'll see!
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    I currently drive a 2000 Saab 9-3. When my lease is up this fall, I have been planning to get a BMW 325Ci via the European Delivery Program. I've got a lot going on financially within the next few years, plus I live in Manhattan, so taking a loan out on a $30,000 BMW isn't practical. I do have some money saved up and am contemplating the purchase of an RSX Type S. I've always been a huge honda fan and almost bought a Prelude Type SH about 4 years ago when I graduated college. I've contacted a dealer and he's trying to locate an '01 Type SH for me. If he's unsuccessful, my next choice is the RSX Type S. I love all the features it comes with (6 Disc Changer, Climate Control, 200hp i-VTEC engine, leather, Sunroof...). My one problem is that I only like black interiors on cars. With the RSX you can only get black leather on a Black (way too high maintenence), Silver (nice, but way too common), or Blue (pretty color for the car, but I fear it is a phase color and will become like the forest greens & hunter greens of the mid 1990's). Any information on color changes for '03? Anybody drive an RSX Type S & Prelude for comparo purposes. Oh yeah, one more thing, I've got to test drive the car too!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

This discussion has been closed.