Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• Options
    nkelly1nkelly1 Member Posts: 105
    Is going to be a winch. Elk can be tough to get up a hill side when they are dead (they don't cooperate when they are alive). Hydraulic or electric… jeep or after market? Any advice here would appreciated.
  • Options
    caseydog2caseydog2 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the replies. Now I don't feel so bad for not ordering tracloc. Here is all of the BS. I went through just to try and get a simple answer to a simple question (Is tracloc included with the 30" wheel package?).

Dealer - yes, I think it is? But they really weren't sure

called chrysler - it IS included, but only with the 5spd

dealer - they said they looked into it and they found it was not included

called chrysler again - 2nd response, no it is not and it is not even an option with the 30" wheel package......this blew my mind

called chrysler again hoping to get a customer service rep with half a brain - 3rd response, no it is not included.

back to dealer to order - dealer is still not sure

ordered the jeep anyway without tracloc and will probably get an after market one.
  • Options
    saharanutsaharanut Member Posts: 134
    thanx for your checklist...
    Can I post it on my web page?
    I'll be glad to give you the credit for it..
    Great information on it..
    Thanx again

Snut
    Terry
  • Options
    I just talked to the jeep dealer I got mine from and was told that tracloc does not come with the 30" wheels nor the dana44, it is a separate item altogether, so......... so what. If I want something like that I will do the research and get the best one for the job at hand.
  • Options
    spyrodragonspyrodragon Member Posts: 147
    A couple things about winches. In this case it is personal preferance. Hydraulic's are good because they don't need the cool down time that an electric does. They are extremly powerful. Downsides are that the engine has to be running to use them because the use the power steering fluid to work, this also limits your turning ability while it is in use. They are slow. Now electrics can only be used in spirts, you can't run them all day long. They have a cool down time or you'll burn out the motor. They are quicker while spooling in the line because some of them have two speeds. They don't require any steering fuel so you still have full control of steering while winching. Warn for electrics are popular, and Mile Marker for Hydraulics seem to be pretty popular. I woun't suggest going through jeep because they can be pretty price on the same thing you can get from a local 4x4 shop or off the internet. Do some looking around before you buy from the dealer.
    Hope this Helps and Happy Jeepin'
  • Options
    saharagalsaharagal Member Posts: 88
    nkelly1, you have dual tops, right? I'm wondering how often you use the hard top. I hadn't planned on getting the dual top option, but of course, now I'm wondering if I'll regret not having the hard top. I live in Atlanta, so it's pretty mild most of the time. It actually does get pretty cold here in the winter months. On the other hand, there are also days when it might be 70 degrees in the middle of February. My inclination is to only get the soft top.

Any Atlantans (or similar climate residents) out there care to offer an opinion? Do you use your hard tops?

Thanks!

Laura
  • Options
    tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    I have the hard top only, and it really ticks me off that I paid $900 for a top that I really don't need! I WISH I had just gotten the soft top!

Or, since I had already forked up the $900 for a hard top, I wish I had spent another $600 for the dual tops.

The 2001's have an improved soft top that is four ply, and I'll bet that no more severe than the winters are here in western Ky (and even more so for you in Atlanta), a soft top would have been just fine in the cold weather.

I got the hard top, because I knew you could always take it off when you wanted to go topless. I didn't realize, however, that it is such a big job to take the thing off and put it on. You also take a chance of having some damage to the top and/or the Jeep during the change-over process. Then, there is the storage problem. The top takes up floor space, and it can be damaged while it is being stored.

If I had it to do over again, I would definitely go with just the soft top!

tsjay

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • Options
    madman390madman390 Member Posts: 72
    Please, by all means, post it. And as for the credit, I really can't take much of it. I copied the checklist from another website (Ford Super Duty) and then added inputs from Edmunds and Fool. So all I can take credit for is typing!

Madman
  • Options
    I knew you really wanted a soft top now, but I didn't know if you meant you wished you had both. Interesting. I don't think I'd really use the hard top. We've had some bad weather today and I just started contemplating the dual tops a little.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Myself..i am going for dual tops..
    the hard top for a little more security..
    probably have in on october thru feb..
    I've had one vehicle stolen just a little paranoid about it..
    I just dont wanna say "I wish" later on..
    Good luck!

Thanx Madman..I apprecite it..

SNut
    Terry
  • Options
    By all means get both tops. The hard top gives me a little more security in a parking lot, at work, the store and so on. It is also pretty quiet up to about 70 mph. The hard top is really easy to keep clean.

The soft top gives a lot more latitude as far as ease of taking it up or down. The question is also where are you going to drive with the top down, or the windows out?

Say it is summer time, me and my sweetie are traveling on logging roads, DUSTY logging roads, leave the windows in?

The hard top will do better with low hanging branches, I would rather have a scratched hard top than a torn soft top. I haven't had it long enough to chose which one I like best…. Each one has it's good points. This is why I would advise getting both, I like options.

As far as storage of the hard top goes, I think I will build a frame (out of wood) to bolt it too, instead of just resting it on something….. hope this helps.
  • Options
    jacknimblejacknimble Member Posts: 171
    If you have a garages, get one of the hard top lifts. All you have to do is back in, attach it to the top and winch it up. Just leave it hanging until time to put it back on. With the lift and quick-release clamps, I could change over in less than 5 minutes with little risk of damage. I probably did this at least 100 times in the 3 years I had my Wrangler.

I've never had a soft top, but heard thats about the time it takes to put it up and down, so the ease and timing is just as good with the hard top. The only draw back is its in the garage when that sudden rain happens.
  • Options
    I did a little surfing, and found this web site

http://www.store.yahoo.com/collinsbros/hoistatop.html

The lift looks easy enough, but I am still going to set on to a stand. leaving it suspended in air don't set well with me (to much time on board ships punching thru typhoons)

Anyway…. It says that " One person could remove and store or replace a vehicle

in minutes." Judge for yourself…. I am going to look at one see how "easy" it is to use, if it is I'll buy it.

• Options
    The cut off date for 2001 jeeps is May 30th
    the production for the 2002 will be august 1st
    looks like i'll be waiting for the 2002's..
    not gonna make the 2001...

keep posting!!

Snut
    Terry
  • Options
    I thought the cut off date had already passed for the 2001's. I guess it depends on the dealer. When I called DC a while back, they told me the dealerships decide when their own cut off will be. But obviously there has to be a true cut off for everyone set by DC. I thought that had passed. Interesting. Maybe I should start calling around, in case I decide I don't want the Sahara that's coming in with only the soft top. Hmmm. Maybe I could order ABS too.

There's another option question. Anyone care to comment on the merits of ABS on a Wrangler? The salesman told me not too many people order that option. I didn't see any on the lot with it. Is it the cost?

Thanks for all your previous comments.
  • Options
    tonkadavetonkadave Member Posts: 102
    Here we go again with this. I personally wont get ABS on a vehicle that might go offroad or get larger tires than stock. On a stock, street only vehicle ABS has many advantages. But the first time you roll through an intersection and are lucky enough to not get hit, or try to slowly drift down a dirt hill, you will share my opinion real quick. For anyone interested Ive updated my tonkajeep page to show my new 31s.

Man, I love this jeep!

http://www.homestead.com/jeepville/tonkajeep.html
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback. Wow, your Jeep looks a lot different with the 31s. It looked good before, but it really looks nice now. Real nice! I like it a lot!

I didn't understand your comment about rolling through an intersection...?
  • Options
    yellowmanyellowman Member Posts: 209
    I'd say if you have a place to store the hard top, then get either the hard top or the dual tops. The storage issue has made all the difference to me. I got the hard top only and thought I'd be able to store it in my parents' back yard, but when I took it off I found it wouldn't fit through the side doors of the house. I really wish I had a garage - if I did I would totally get the hard top hoist. Without it you need two people and it is a cumbersome job. Still, I wouldn't mind doing it every now and then, except now I have nowhere to store the hard top. So I'm still working on a solution for that. In the meantime, I love the look of the hardtop as opposed to the soft top, and I do feel more secure leaving the Jeep on the street with the hard top on. I have a friend who has the soft top only and he leaves the windows out at night for fear someone would slice through the top to get inside otherwise. Also, with the hardtop on, I've had no problem getting the Jeep hand washed and waxed. With the soft top, it couldn't go through the washers (yes I do get 100% hand wash, but it still goes through the automatic water spray). All things considered, I'm still glad I got the hard top, because I figure the storage issue is just an inconvenience for now.

yellowman

p.s. - first time truly measuring mileage - 16.52 MPG, this is about my 3rd or 4th tank. I sure hope it goes up a little! I was expecting about 18. Maybe the synthetic oil will help after 6,000 miles. (3,000 is coming up and I'll use regular 10w30 as per everyone's suggestion)
  • Options
    Had to put Thelma's top and doors back on today: rain in the forecast.

It really depresses me when I have to do that!

I guess the miserable, hot, humid weather is almost here anyway, when I would probably just keep the top on and use the air conditioner. It got up to 90 degrees toward the end of the week, and the humidity was up.

We had an unusually nice spring for this area. It almost always goes from winter to summer around here with very few comfortable days with the temperatures in the 70's and low 80's and low humidity. This year, though, we had four or five weeks of that kind of weather. Looks like that's about over now.

I still wish I had that soft top! I could lower it in the late evenings even in the hot weather.

Well, I know this post is very exciting material for everyone, so I'd better not give you sensory overload.

tsjay

• Options
    After two tank fillings (about 650 miles on the vehicle) it looks like I'm getting 16 mpg "in town" and 18 mpg highway.

on the freeway we were doing between 70 and 80 mph in 5th and on the more winding county (paved) roads we were doing 50/55 in 4th... I think I can do better though.

The clutch has really smoothed out, shifting is much easier, once I "get the hang of it" I think it will do just fine.

As far as tops go, we are going to wait until we have a "top lift". The more you mess with this top the more problems you may have (nobody has mentioned the gaskets yet). I figure that with one of those lift's, the risk's can be minimized.

Anyone know a good company that makes small (1/4 ton) trailers for jeeps? I would love to get my hands on an old Army trailer.
  • Options
    adplusoneadplusone Member Posts: 66
    To TonkaDave....do the 31" fit with no lift...if not what kind of lift kit did you use???

I like the Canyon Wheels...does anyone know what they would cost new from a dealer...or is there anywhere to buy a take-off or used set (of five).

Thanks!
  • Options
    tonkadavetonkadave Member Posts: 102
    Thanks for the Compliment. Im loving this Jeep more and more every day. I used to have a Chevy Silverado with ABS, which I put larger tires on. For some reason, the large tires would confuse the ABS into kicking in on bumpy stops, causing me to roll through an intersection. Not a good feeling. Ive heard several jeep owners on the quadratec board say the same thing. You would especially not want this happening on a rock crawl headed downhill.
    adplus, I dont have a lift. My dealer wont cover warranty with any kind of lift at all. The tires fit perfect with no rubbing at all. The spare was a close fit but it made it too. I think the stock GSA's are 29.5" and the new BFGs are 30.7". So I gained abouut 1.2 inches in tire. Ive seen the Canyon wheels for sale on ebay for like $300, and just recently saw someone selling them on Quadratec's board. Its a good looking wheel and its 15x8 so it can take just about any tire. The Backspacing is kind of high though at 5.5 inches.
  • Options
    twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    Madman - thanks for sending the file. I only made a few edits and posted it for others to use. Thanks again for being the scribe on this!

http://www.ewylie.com/jeep/delivery_checklist.htm

I've got my mileage database online for anyone interested. 16.5 so far, but we're both leadfoots. http://www.ewylie.com/jeep/mileage.htm

There are some updates to review and mods, but those should be easy enough to find.

-twylie

• Options
    rb123rb123 Member Posts: 51
    Well I have not posted in a while but I have a 2001 wrangler with the dual tops. A couple weeks ago I took the hard top off and put the soft top on. This is not a real easy task but it wasn't that bad. I would really recommend to any one that plans on having the top on and off a lot to get the dual tops. If you live somewhere that has winter you want the hard top for that.

Tsjay, by the way I noticed you are still talking about putting that hard top on and off, I thought you were going to buy a soft top.
  • Options
    jacorobjacorob Member Posts: 37
    I've had my jeep (01) since Oct. Live in texas so only got the soft top. Never wanted the hard top and have never regretted it. I have friends who got the dual top and have never put the hard top on. It just sits in their garage. Plus with the soft top you have some protection against a sudden downpour even if you don't take the doors and windows with you (saved me a couple times).

And don't be too concerned with putting on the soft top. The first couple times you do it it'll take you a while (took me 30 minutes my first time). I can do it without any rushing in a little less then 10 minutes - which isn't bad to me. Could do it quicker if needed.
  • Options
    Hey, RB! Nope, still haven't gotten the soft top.

I just don't have the extra bucks to put into one right now, but some day I certainly plan on having one!

We will soon be into our miserable summer heat and humidity, so maybe I won't miss having a soft top until next fall, and by then, maybe, I can afford one.

Let's hear from you more often.

tsjay

• Options
    kwilson4kwilson4 Member Posts: 21
    I also got the dual tops on my Jeep. I wanted the hard top for a couple of reasons. The first was security. If I decide to drive to San Francisco (yes, I live in CA) for the day, I don't have to worry about where I park it. Also, I snowboard in the winter, so I figured I could mount a ski/snowboard rack on the top. I plan on leaving the hard top on through the winter, and using the soft top for spring through fall when the weather is nice, but unpredictable.

Hey tsjay, soft tops work well with the A/C too. Make the plunge! Do you have any extra household items (furniture, dishware, etc.) you can sell to pay for it?
  • Options
    sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    Why don't you sell your hardtop to someone here or on ebay? That would give you the bucks (reimburse you) for the soft top...

Kentucky doesn't get as much snow as Mass does, and if I got one, __ I __ am trying to decide dual or soft top only. I might just go soft top and look for a cheaper aftermarket or used (unused?) hard top or a junkyard one. I really would plan on keeping top off as much as possible, especially when temps get above 80 or 90 (I despise AC).
  • Options
    I also got the dual tops on my Jeep. I wanted the hard top for a couple of reasons. The first was security. If I decide to drive to San Francisco (yes, I live in CA) for the day, I don't have to worry about where I park it. Also, I snowboard in the winter, so I figured I could mount a ski/snowboard rack on the top. I plan on leaving the hard top on through the winter, and using the soft top for spring through fall when the weather is nice, but unpredictable.

Hey tsjay, soft tops work well with the A/C too. Make the plunge! Do you have any extra household items (furniture, dishware, etc.) you can sell to pay for it?
  • Options
    Not bad advice, I guess, but I think I'll just wait a while before I do anything.

Since I already have the hard top, I'll probably hang on to it, rather than take it in the shorts by selling it at a low price.

I do have to take business trips sometimes, and the security of the hard top is a consideration.

tsjay

• Options
    Read your post in Meet the Members. Congratulations on that new Jeep!

Now, be a regular poster in here, and tell us about your Jeepin'!

For those of you who haven't checked out Meet the Members, go there and read about tjray's new Jeep.

I'm thrilled for you, my man! Is this your first Jeep? Ain't they GREAT????

tsjay

• Options
    Are those trunk lock box thingies any good? When I go to me "rag" top I would still like a secure place to put things.
  • Options
    tjytjy Member Posts: 39
    Anyone else have a crack in their winshield? I have no idea what caused it but I now have a huge crack in my front winshield. Anyone hear about any TSB or recall on this?
  • Options
    texasjeeptexasjeep Member Posts: 270
    Tsjay
    Did you think about going with a bikini top, tonneau cover, and a windjammer instead of a soft top?
    This link should show it
    http://www.quadratec.com/cgi-bin/sgdynamo.exe

nkelly1
    The 01s are plastic and 00s metal but are still rather weak. They are better than nothing though. I think these guys have the best protection
    http://www.tuffyproducts.com/

tjy
    Are you sure you didn't get a chip that caused the crack? Jeep windshields are vertical so it is common. I haven't heard of any recalls for that. I wanna say someone else has mentioned that on this board before. I can't remeber if it was you or someone else. You can check these links for TSBs and recalls. Good luck
    http://www.alldata.com
    http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/

Tonka
    Your dealers suck. You need to make sure they get put on that blacklist. I wouldn't give them my business.
    You better be careful with those 31s. My brother isn't allowed to change tire sizes on his Z71. Your dealer is still probably going to try and screw you. :)
  • Options
    Why not just build your own out of exterior or marine plywood? Paint it gray or black, put a good hasp and hinges on it (or hasps all around with removable cover!) and you are good to go. You can then customize the interior as you like and/or customize the size and location (like if you wanted to leave foot room for one rear seat passenger or something.
  • Options
    Watch out Krazy Kalifornians!

http://aeperformance.cjb.net/

• Options
    Sorry to hear about your trouble.

There were some posts in here quite a while back about the same thing. Whoever it was said that they were CERTAIN that nothing had hit the windshield to cause it.

When they investigated, they found that others had experienced the problem. If I'm not mistaken, DC took care of it under warranty, because they knew of the problem.

Hope I have my facts straight. If you want to do some searching, I think the posts were a couple months ago, maybe longer.

tsjay

• Options
    yjbobyjbob Member Posts: 56
    Others have had their cracked windshields repaired - see posts # 1200, 1211, 1239, and 1247. There may be a few more posts after that. Good luck.
  • Options
    Where is everyone? No posts all day yesterday!

Hey, Guys and Gals, I might not be able to make the chat tonight. There will be customers in town, and I have been elected to have dinner with them. I will get home as soon as possible, but I'll miss most of the chat I'm afraid.

Let's have some posting!

tsjay

• Options
    wranglerwantedwranglerwanted Member Posts: 18
    I've decided on waiting till next year to buy a Wrangler. I know there are some real good incentives now like the $500 rebate plus 4.9% for 60. I need to pay my debts before I go buying another vehicle. I guess the 2001 Wranglers are out of production? What do the 2002 have? Any improvements? I'm thinking of spring 2002 for a purchase date. Thanks.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Not exactly designed for the woman driver

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• Options
    twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    my opinion on this piece.

...unless the Brits get a completely different Jeep than is offered here, the reporters credibilty disappeared when she mentioned a V6 and leather seats as not needed but "things Brits order". My guess is that the reporter went for a quick spin and knows very little about the Wrangler (as evidenced by not knowing what is actually under the hood, er I mean bonnet). It's a shame when what I consider irresponsible reporting leads to a report that may get read by many equally uninformed readers. If a reporter wants to write an entertaining attempt at comedy; do it, but don't veil it as an actual review.

-twylie
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382

...at 6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern. Hope to see you there!
    http://www.edmunds.com/chat/jeepchat.html

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    big_davebig_dave Member Posts: 13
    Hey everyone --

The National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration just came out with rollover ratings, and the Wrangler got 3 stars, which was better than most SUVs. (Grand Cherokee got a 2, GMC Jimmy got a 1).

Check it out:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/hot/rollover/

Show that to anyone who tells you that Wranglers are dangerous because they tip over ...

• Options
    looks like more of a hatchet job than a "view point". It is obvious this woman doesn't like
    the Wrangler (jeeps). Any time someone says that you "don't need" some thing (in this case something that don't exist) the hair on the back of my neck stands up… of course considering where she lives it is understandable. She thinks that the Wrangler is "neck-snapping"? Guess they don't have V8s (or any other real car over there)

Do the limes really still call us yanks?
  • Options
    Hey, that was fun! Nice chatting with you guys. Now, I can't wait to get my Sahara, all over again! I had kind of calmed down about the waiting, but now I'm all riled up again! Can't wait! It should only be a week or two now.

Thanks for letting me "hang out" here without a Jeep!
  • Options
    jacorobjacorob Member Posts: 37
    Has anyone else had a problem with the seatbelt constantly getting in the way of closing the door when you get out?

About a quarter of the time i get out the seatbelt gets in front of the loop that the door latches to. If i think of it i check and get it out of the way before closing the door, but i often don't think of it. I'm worried that after a while i'll start destroying the integrity of the seatbelt.
  • Options
    pizzadudepizzadude Member Posts: 35
    I've had the same problem. It doesn't happen a whole lot, but once or twice is too often. I too was worried about destroying the webbing over time. A friend of mine with a '97 TJ adjusted the height of the belt down and for some reason that helped him out. I myself like it when the belt gets looped behind the seat tilt handle. This keeps it from getting in the door latch mechanism... I think it's a 1997 model and newer problem, not just your '01.

-pizzadude
  • Options
    texasjeeptexasjeep Member Posts: 270
    I tried for about 30 minutes to get in the chat last night. So the chat did happen last night?
    Every time I went in there it was just a blank chat room.
    I guess I will just go somewhere else for chatting.

My seat belt has gotten caught a couple of times. I am not worrying about it yet.
  • Options
    Removing the doors solves the seatbelt problem.