Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

V6 Work truck Toyota-Dodge-Chevy-Ford

scaperscaper Member Posts: 9
I hope I will get some info here on this subject. I have been searching for a work truck for my business for the past few months. I looked at the big three and the Tundra v6. I like the Chevy 4.3 but a friend of mine is a Chevy mechanic and stated they were having drive ability problems and that if I were to go Chevy get the small V8. I like the dodge but am afraid of the 3.9 not having enough grunt. The Ford was very nice inside but I hear reports from friends that the 4.2 doesn't yield great mileage in this platform. Well I don't know squat about the Tundra V6 combo so that's why I'm in here to find out. First off, I'm using this truck to do estimates not haul alot of material. I'm getting 2wd not 4x4. I have a 4x4 91 Dodge Ramcharger for winter and a F450 SD to tow my 22 foot equipment trailer so this is my pleasure ride. Does anyone own the Toyota V6 in the Tundra? If so how do you like it? What's your mileage? And how is the power in this size truck? These are all questions I'm trying to answer. If anyone owns the above mentioned trucks please fell free to give the same information. I like all three big three trucks but would like to give the Tundra equal consideration. Thanks ahead of time for any and all answers. Scaper
Tagged:

Comments

• tucsonjwttucsonjwt Member Posts: 265
    GMCs. My guess is that they get them cheaper than the other models. I bought my 2K rado stripper from the Chevy commercial lot, where almost all of the pickups were 1/2 ton, regular cab, longbed, 2WD, A/C, auto, cruise, and some with PDL so you can have keyless entry easliy. This is the truck they sell in the greatest volume. I have not driven the other models because I qualified for GMO/GMS - so I only looked at GMs.
    I did have a bad fuel injector at about 5K miles which was replaced under warranty and the dealer also cleaned all of the injectors and put a can of Techron in the gas tank. The service advisor recommended that I use only Chevron to get the Techron additive and I have done so since that episode. I also dump a bottle of Techron in the tank at every 3,000 mile oil change as a precaution. So far, no recurrence of the driveablity issue(about 13K now.). I think the dealer may have been right. I would use Techron in any vehicle now.
    If you are concerned about getting a problem engine, I would stay away from the new 4.8 and 5.3 votec GM V8 engines. You can search here at Edmunds and still find problems relating to knock, ping, and driveablity on these engines. A co-worker just took delivery of a 4.8 Silverado and he has had the engine ping from day one. I think the 4.3 is an old reliable design and not a problem. The problem with all of the new GM engines is that they are leaned out too much and any imperfection in the fuel or fuel delivery system causes a performance problem.
    I drive very carefully in town only and get 20-21 mpg. On the one extended highway/city trip I took I got 27 mpg, with about one hour spent stopped on the expressway in a traffic jam with the engine idling.
    If you go with GM, I would buy the GMC because you can get a fold down armrest in the base model. If you are going upscale it doesn't matter - Silverado or Sierra - as long as you don't mind spending an extra 4-5K for the doo-dads.
    I would, of course, take all of your prosective choices on a long test drive under the conditions you will drive daily before you buy (rent one?).
    Good Luck.
  • yurian44yurian44 Member Posts: 25
    The best idea would be to spend an afternoon and about $50 and rent a V-6 Chevy or GMC or Toyota for that matter (if you can find one) toss a few hundred pounds in the back and take a drive.You'll be able to judge much better without a lot lizard yammering in your ear while you do the test drive.
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    Look at tundra 4x2 v6
  • redsilveradoredsilverado Member Posts: 1,000
    "lot lizard" now that's funny, but also excellent advice.
  • bigsnagbigsnag Member Posts: 394
    My brother just got an X-cab short bed 2wd Ford with the V6 and 5sp. He didn't tell me his exact mileage down to the tenth, but he did say he gets over 20 on the highway and I know him, he hauls butt. Most likely averaged about 80-85 mph. He hasn't had the truck too long, but I think he likes it so far. I'll try to get details next time I talk to him.
  • cth7312cth7312 Member Posts: 18
    My Dad has 2000 GMC Sierra LB w/ the 4.8. He's had it for almost two years w/ 35,000 miles and no problems. I'm not sure what the mpg, but I can alsmost make a round trip from Dallas to College Station w/o filling up. (220 miles each way). Actually I could probabaly make it, but there are a couple spots where I would be in real trouble if I ran out of gas, so I play it safe.
  • jim4444jim4444 Member Posts: 124
    We have a huge fleet of trucks from many manufacturers and a mechanic told me that when they want to get rid of one they drain the oil and radiator fluid then start em up with a brick on the gas pedal.

Two hours later the Chevy 4.3 is still running.

I've heard of em going over 200,000 miles with no problems in full size trucks from other sources as well.
  • 5spd5spd Member Posts: 38
    Drain the oil and coolant and the truck could run for two hours ? Yeah right ...
  • gwallnegwallne Member Posts: 3
    I have been researching 1/2 trucks for the last 8 months.Its become a obsession. Anyways I drove the chevy,GMC,Tundra and Ford. If your not going to load alot into the bed the Tundra is a very nice responsive truck with the 6 and the long box in 2wd. It is slightly smaller inside than the domestics and the bed sits higher off the ground ( tough on the back for loading) but a nice personal vehicle and the 6 is reliable . The gas mileage on the Tundra will be worse than a domestic because of the stock 3.9 rear end. The Ford and Chevy/Gmc rode very well with the 6 . If your just doing estimating ,you might want to look at the Ford short bed flairside. Ford offers a big discount package if you go with the 6.You will have a sporty truck that is peppy with the short box and agile in traffic and driveways and yet their flairside has almost as much cargo room as a regular short box bed. Check out the ford online website for pictures of owners trucks.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Sure, don't you see it on those TV infomercials?
    Thats what the mechanic told me. He isnt full of it or he'd be out of a job. Hes the one who makes a living working on the trucks. Why does he need to lie?
  • joeltranejoeltrane Member Posts: 25
    I used to drive a 1990 GMC 2wd 1/2 ton with the 4.3 when I was with the Gov't. This thing had 190,000 miles on it!!! It was actually kind of fun to drive (it was auto trans). It still had good power, but it had also been maintained well by our regional mechanic.
    My personal vehicle is a Toyota T100 so I'm generally a little biased when it comes to trucks, but that chevy 4.3 impressed me with that many miles and having numerous drivers over the years.
    It kind of makes me think that I could get the same miles out of an American truck as my Toyota!
  • richcolorichcolo Member Posts: 81
    I think you're right Joeltrane, I've got 160,000 on my 1991 GMC Sierra 1500, 4.3L, 5 speed, 2WD, Long bed. It uses a quart of oil in 4,000 miles and the only time I have ever gotten less than 20 MPG was towing. It has been in a shop once in the last 60,000 miles--for a throttle position sensor and a throttle cable. I've put shocks and tire on it, and changed the oil, oil filter, air filter, PCV valve, spark plugs and coolant, and it has never stranded me. (Ran pretty weird with the bad throttle sensor though!) Unfortunately it got a bad case of hailed on last Thursday... think it will be totalled when State Farm get a look at it this Friday. I'll probably take the payoff, pay the salvage and keep driving it (with liability only), but not fix the damage. It's a shame because the paint still shines. (I park in a garage at home and at work... was within a mile of home when the hail started, not close enough.)

On the other hand, I have been dreaming about a new Sierra 2500 HD Crew Cab Duramax 6 speed....(I'll have to get a short box to fit in the garage... maybe I'll keep the old truck around for the bulky and messy loads...)
    one beater to take to the dump and the lumber yard and embarass the neighbors, and one other shinny new truck to impress the neighbors. It's the best of both worlds.
  • abc246abc246 Member Posts: 305
    I have a 2k Silverado with the 4.3 V-6. This engine is amazing. I tow 5000 lbs with it every weekend. It has a lot of power and is smooth running. I like the fact it has the same transmission, transfer case, rear axle and front diff as the V-8. Best part heads and block are still cast iron. Not many of these left.

I would not buy a Toy with the V-6. Toyota has never made a good V-6 truck engine. After 5 or 6 years the head gaskets go. I thought they would fix them in the 90's but looks like they can't.

By the way, I believe jim4444. I bet it gets hot, but cast can take it. Loose tolerances on 200k or more engines have places to store oil.
    How many truck V6's has toyota made?

The new 3.4 did blow some head gaskets the first two years, but I have not seen one documented 97 and after. Toyota also footed the bill. The 3.4 is a good truck engine.

I would asume Toyota is in the works of a new V6 when the new Tacoma arrives as well as the mysterious (rumors) bigger V8 for the Tundra.
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Not just bigger V8...bigger truck!
    Like a extended-cab long bed maybe.
    That's a "go nowhere" marketing proposition for Toyota. Crew cab with mini short bed like Tacoma Double Cab is the name of the game.

New truck will be 1" wider, have all new platform, similar styling queues.

Of course, regular cab trucks are never out of style, because they were never "in style."
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Of course, regular cab trucks are never out of style, because they were never "in style."
    That's why we pay you the *big bucks*
    I rarely see anyone riding in the back seat of an extended cab, and also rarely see any serious cargo stowed back there. One everyday advantage would be more reclining room, if you like to drive laid back style. Most extended cabs are shortbeds, which have the disadvantage of having long items hang out the end of the truck. Must be why SUVs are more popular as people haulers.
  • sjsporsjspor Member Posts: 10
    I have 97 C1500 x-cab with the 4.3 and the light duty 5 speed, The only reason a tool has entered the engine compartment in 97,000 miles is to change the water pump. With the 5 speed I have more than enough get and go, but when pulling my camper, I do the wish i had bigger motor dream. But since the rest of the time it's just me and my tools, I'm happy with the 21 MPG i get around town, never gets any better or worse on the highway. I have actually been looking for a new Truck, and would take the 4.3 with a 5 speed again, if you could find one!!
  • moparmadmoparmad Member Posts: 197
    If it is just for driving to the clients house to do estimates why not use your Echo,then give your guys a raise with the money you save.

jim444 you should suggest to your boss that they should auction those trucks they want to get rid of instead of destroying them,then he will think you are a genius and give you a raise.
  • bmaigebmaige Member Posts: 140
    A pickup seems to be "overkill" for what you want to do, and an Echo--or some other small car, will get a lot better gas mileage than any of the pickups.

Why would anyone want to destroy a pickup engine to get rid of it as much as they sell for used? Or is it an unbreakable company policy, perhaps, to keep one a specified number of years and/or a specified number of miles, so this method is being used to remove lemons from the fleet? If so, selling them would still be a better business decision, so I would suggest a change of policy.

I'm afraid as far as picking a newer version 6 cylinder I wouldn't be of much help. I have an old 1982 F-150 4x4 with a manual tranny and inline 300 cubic inch 6 that is still going. Unfortunately, those engines are no longer available. It needs a new muffler, but is strong and tows a lot with the granny low it has in it.
    I work for a huge company, destroying an engine when they get old is a way to send em to the boneyard.

If they were pickups they might consider selling them but they arent.

They are kinda like delivery trucks, you know "bread vans" not a popular vehicle.

Dont get me started on the clowns I work for....oops management.
  • ken27ken27 Member Posts: 2
    I have just purchased my first F150 its a stander V6 4.2 XL model...after compare with tundra and layout the paper wk finally I dicided go with Ford...its drives very smooth and plenty of cargo space and I love the super cab that opens outward give more space to the move things in and out. I also got $2000 dollar factory rebate on the price but I saw on edmunds.com it has $2500 rebate..could anyone knows more about this post some info on it. I paid out the door( includes everything) $18100.00. Is it fare price?..also I get about 18 to 19 mpg for city and hiway drive..
    You paid a good price for a good truck. You may have been able to get it a little bit cheaper, but not very much. You got a good deal for a Ford F-150 ext. cab.
  • chevytruck_fanchevytruck_fan Member Posts: 432
    why do people insist of saying you can do it with a car, echo come on, who the heck wants to ride in that death trap.

I don't know if someone has mentioned this yet but the Chevy v6 is based off the 350 the best engine ever made.

thats something to think about
  • bessbess Member Posts: 972
    I agree that 350 is an awsome, bulletproof engine.. I also know the 4.3 is based on the 350 (just 2 cylinders cut off).. However, for some reason the 4.3 doesn't seem have the same reliability as it's big brother 350..
    Not sure why this is..
    My '90 S10 Blazer with 4.3L only has 130,000 miles. Already, it's needed oil, air filters, pcv valve, spark plugs. They even sold me a water pump it didn't need at 100,000. I'm thinking about complaining to the BBB.

The fleet of Astro Van delivery trucks used by King Soopers (supermarket chain) have 4.3L engines. What a headache! They constantly need oil changes, windshield washer fluid and air added to the tires on a fleet of low mileage, 230,000 mile trucks, given the kindest treatment by the company's caring delivery drivers.
    Wow a fleet truck needing oil changes how unusual. And its the engines fault that its using washer fluid and the tires are low on air pressure?????

Why did you buy a water pump you didnt need at 100,000 miles?

Changing air filters etc is called routine maintenance.
  • plutoniousplutonious Member Posts: 799
    Don't know what size V6 the 2002 Malibus have, but we just test drove one today and what a rough and unrefined engine. I wasn't impressed, even if that motor is based on the famous Chevy 350.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    comparing a sedan to a pickup truck?

I believe the malibu has the 3800 V-6
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    MALIBU MOST LIKELY HAD

– 3100 V6 SFI
    I had a 2000 Monte Carlo with a 3.4 V6 and it ran very smoothly. If you accelerated rapidly you would hear some engine whine, but it was still smooth all the way. Of course, the Monte is more expensive, but you get a lot more car. Loaded with luxury features and versatile with the big trunk and fold down rear seat. I would imagine that the Impala is very similar.
    Gas mileage was good to - in the mid to upper twenties in town - pretty good for such a big car.
  • textruckrtextruckr Member Posts: 22
    I purchased a Chevy C-1500 new in '96. It was probably along the lines of what you are looking for. It was the base model with W/T (Work Truck) trim. The only options I asked for were air, cloth seats and auto transmission. It has been a great truck so far. It has just turned 73 K miles and other than replacing the A/C compressor (under warranty) and the rear leaf springs (also under warranty) it has been trouble free. It pulls our stock trailer with ease (up to 4000#) and still gets pretty good mileage. We opted for the 3.08 rear diff (it was what came with it) and it seems to be a good compromise between economy and light hauling. With the standard cab and short wheel base, I paid only $100 over (the real) invoice. The 4.3 L V-6 base engine is great. It makes 200 hp and around 240 ft-lbs of torque. That is plenty for light hauling. Now when it comes to the big stuff, we use the C-3500 CC/dually!
    I recommend the Chevy with the V-6. Parts are cheaper and more folks are willing to repair them (if needed). You will also find them to cost less (in many areas, such as here in Central Texas). One of my co-workers just traded in his 92 shortbed with 4.3L and 5 spd. It had 240K miles. Of course he had a head gasket go out at 210K, so some folks may say that the engine is a piece of crap.

Texas Truck - r
  • arkie6arkie6 Member Posts: 198
    I owned a '90 model Chevy S-10 extended cab V6 4x4 5 spd way back when. The engine was probably one of the most reliable aspects of the truck, but that ain't saying much (paint fell off, headliner fell out, dash went out, CV joints failed multiple times, U-joints galore, clutch rattles, 4WD switch failure, and body rattles galore). The engine had torque for a V6, but it wasn't very smooth and ran out of breath at anything over 3500 rpm. It also started smoking a bit at cold startup around 70,000 miles, which was a common symptom of the valve seals leaking on those 4.3L V6s and 5.7L V8s.

The problem with the 4.3 V6 is that it is based on the 90 degree 350 V8, minus 2 cylinders. A 90 degree block is optimum for a V8, but not the optimum configuration for a V6 engine. For better balance, a V6 should be a 60 degree block (or better yet, it should be an inline 6). The balance concerns with the 4.3 V6 is why the early models had a very low redline and later models had balancers added so the redline could be increased resulting in greater horsepower. The balancers help I'm sure, but its a compromise and something else to break.

The head gasket problems with the early Toyota 3.0 and 3.4 V6s were corrected in 1997 to my knowledge.

If you are interested in a 6 cylinder work truck, then you just need to get out and drive some of them and make up your mind. You can use the internet for researching reliability issues and such, but the only way you can get a feel for the truck is to test drive it.

Now is definitly the right time to buy one because of all of the incentives and low or zero interest rates.

For TSBs and Recalls, you can find info on a particular truck or car here http://www.alldata.com Another good source of technical info is http://www.batauto.com

Alan

I don't trust Toyota when they say they fixed the V-6 head gasket problem. I had a 90 Toyota pickup. They had problems with that V-6 every year. It takes about 6 years or 100,000 mile for the problem to show. Some failed sooner. So if they fixed it 1997, we will know for sure in 2004. If they did fix it, it took them 7 years!

I bought a GM 4.3 V-6 just for that reason. I have one in my 99 Blazer and one in my 2k Silverado 4x4. I have a Gtech meter and you would not believe how they run. Blazer is running 7.81 sec 0 to 60. Siverado is running 9.03 sec 0 to 60. Both times were about .4 seconds slower when new. Both engines have synthetic oil.

They run GREAT. I tow 5000 lbs with each. When I tow with the Blazer it feels like the engine is going to destroy the rear diff on WOT takeoffs.

The best work truck engine is the 4.3 and it is all cast iron. Not many of these left, not even GMs V-8s can make that statement.
  • mjbwrtrmjbwrtr Member Posts: 172
    i have driven several kinds and i like the early 90's S-10 best. i drove one (a 1993) for 2 years and did nothing but give it tires, oil, and gas when it needed it. It had the 2.8 V6 in it, which i think is a very underestimated motor. i got 23 mps out of it, with mixed highway and city driving. In fact, i am selling it now. the idea isnt to advertise my truck, but to let you know you dont have to buy new, and that if you get a buy on a 2.8, dont shy away because of the small displacement.
    The problem with it was never the head gasket per se, but they squeezed the bore centers too close together, i.e. not enough space for a conventional gasket design.
  • boaz47boaz47 Member Posts: 2,747
    I haven't had that much experience with V-6s in Toyota's. I did have a old SR-5 with a 2.4 Four cylinder that might have lasted forever. Except for the radiator and a U-joint it was a runner. Later on some of my friends got the Toyota V-6 but like some have stated they had head gasket problems as well as two of them had exhaust manifolds that warped. These were both between 1992 and 1995 models. The only Chevy I have dealt with in a V-6 was a 2.8 and I wasn't impressed. I have had one Ford ½ ton with a 300 cid straight six that pulled like a monster and might still have it today if someone in a full sized Suburban hadn't used it as a crash test when my son had it out in Salt Lake one winter. I have had two 3.9 V-6 dodges. One in a ½ ton and one in a Dakota. The one in the Dakota was newer and I believe they called it a magnum. Anyway the lighter truck seemed to do much better with the 3.9. Both were very dependable but neither one would get the greatest fuel milage. If you are not hauling anything of any weight I don't see much of a need for a full sized truck with a V-6. Any of the smaller trucks with their four cylinder engines would do better if you were driving a lot. But if you need a V-6 and would like an automatic the Ranger Super cab comes with a 4.0 and a 5 speed automatic. With the rebates being offered by most of the manufacturers this could be a good time to buy. I have just been through the truck search myself and all of the trucks can do what you are looking for them to do. Ford and Dodge were the most willing to deal, at least for me. Chevy had good interest rates but wouldn't move much on their sticker price. Toyota had good prices but was pushing their upscale trucks a bit too hard for me. Nissan wasn't priced as well as I thought they should be and besides, I can't get used to that Mad Max look of their truck. When all was said and done Ford made me the best offer. That was just me. You will be happier if you get a truck that you feel you got at the best price whatever it is.
  • 759397759397 Member Posts: 79
    The 3.4L V6 in my Tacoma has been bullet proof through the first 65k miles and my old V6 in my old Toyota truck was fine for the 167k miles I had it going. It all depends on what you want from the vehicle. I will say I almost fell over when I brought the Tacoma in for the 60k service they were ready to charge me $550 for just the scheduled crap.

Oi!!!
    I'm just curious if anyone has driven the Ram with the new V-6 base engine in it. So far the only reviews i've read about this engine it's been in the Jeep Liberty. A supposed 210 HP which is a 35 HP increase from their old 3.9.
    I have not driven the new Ram with this engine, but suspect it will run fine with the proper gearing. Good luck on finding a review. I tried to find a review on a Silverado with the V-6 and was not able to find one! I guess the manufactures do not want these trucks tested because some poeple may not pay extra for the V-8! The V-6 in the Silverado runs great with 3.73 gears and I tow 5000 lbs every weekend in the summer.
  • mbatchelormbatchelor Member Posts: 27
    I haven't seen any articles about the 2002 Rams with the 3.7 yet, but I have read articles about the Jeep Liberty with the same engine. The writers wished for more power even in the vehicle the size of the Liberty. So I can image it would be worse in the full size Dodge.
    If you got to have a Dodge go with the 4.7.
    I have a '98 Chevy x-cab with the 4.3/auto. Been real pleased with the performance with this setup.
  • hutch7hutch7 Member Posts: 88
    I had a '97 F-150 with the 4.2L V6, the engine was loud and had no high end. It blew a coolant seal at 40K which leaked into the oil pan and basically ruined the engine. I won't mention all the other problems I had with this truck...not enough memory in my computer!!!