Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suburban Tahoe Owners Meet the Members

Comments

• tooheytoohey Member Posts: 1
    I have owned a 1995, 1999, 2001, and now a 2003 Suburban Z71. I have the rattle in the glove box in my 2003 Z71. I also have experienced what feels like a loose steering column with a rattle in the steering wheel area of both my 2001 and now my 2003 after about 12K miles. Has anyone experienced this annoying problem?
  • nmatsonnmatson Member Posts: 17
    I have a 2002 1500K suburban and had a rattle in the steering when cornering over a rough surface at around 29K miles. Dealership had a replacement steering shaft for it - apparently a known issue although not a recall they only fix it upon owner complaint.
  • vnowlinvnowlin Member Posts: 1
    I just had a repair shop offer me a trade that is worth a minimum of $20,000.00 for my 1994 Suburban 2500. It has 120,000 miles, that body and interior are rough, but it runs perfect. It has all towing options offered by Chevrolet. I can't imagine what's going on but will probably take the offer tomorrow unless someone can advise me differently. I am certain of the offer's value. It could be closer to $25,000. What's up? Some kind of urgent insurance deal?
  • gregtranggregtrang Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2003 Suburban with 20,000 miles on it. I have noticed a noisy vibration with steering wheel when making a sharp slow turn-around. Anyone notice the same problem? It's not the kind of noise that occurs when power steering fluid is low. Also, I have also noticed a clunking noise which sounds like it would be coming from my driver side front spring when backing out of my drive way. Anyone have this issue?
  • kbaird31kbaird31 Member Posts: 3
    I own a 2000 chevy tahoe, I had the same problem with turning, it almost sounded like a popping noise, we took it to the chevy dealer and they had to put a kit on it to get rid of the noise, but its been a year and the noise is coming back. Im not an expert on the matter, but I understand what your talking about.
  • jefe3jefe3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Tahoe that rattles and feels loose in the steering column. The Tahoe has 28000 miles, I probably had the problem in the last 7-10K miles and finally took it to the dealer. The dealership admitted this being a common problem in Tahoes/Suburbans/Trucks. There's a backorder on Intermediate Shafts, so hopefully when part comes in the problem is solved. The good thing its under warranty, the bad thing is GMC/Chevrolet have done nothing to inform the public.
  • tamicrashtamicrash Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I have some very serious concerns about the Tahoe and wonder if anyone else has experienced any of these problems.

I read the posts and had a lot of the same problems that a lot of you had, noise in the dash, popping when I turned the steering wheel, but all of this is irrelevant to me now because so much on my tahoe failed me on Tuesday morning.

I must tell you though that I truly loved my Tahoe LT, our plan was to pay it off (eventually, as it was $45000.00) and give it to our son when he turned 16 and buy a brand new one. I am still crying over the loss of my Tahoe!

Ok, I was on my way to work in the rain, apparently I hit water in the road, my Tahoe hydroplaned and the back end began coming around on the driver side, I corrected it, or overcorrected as we are assuming and began spinning the other direction. I saw walnut trees coming and the car wouldn't respond to my steering and I guess I was sliding (backwards?) in the mud because the brakes didn't work. I shut my eyes and felt the crash, I hit 5 walnut trees, severing 2 of the first ones I hit, the tahoe then rolled atleast once, landing on the drivers side in the mud. All I saw was a shattered and broken windshield and I knew it was bad. I thought that soon my onstar would activate and I would get help, because I could hear cars driving by.(that's right, not stopping) I then looked for my rear view mirror and couldn't find it, it was outside the windshield! I tried to roll down the passengar window, it wouldn't roll down so I could climb out of it. My center console broke open, everything had fallen on me and out of the tahoe in the crash, it wouldn't close again, it just broke open. I tried to use my talk button for onstar on the steering wheel but I was so disoriented that I couldn't remember you have to say "call" or "dial" I tried saying 911 and emergency, It gave me the weather! I was so terrified, still in my seatbelt. Someone finally stopped and I was able to climb out the rear window which was completely broken out, wiper still working. The first thing I saw was my third row rear seat in the mud! It had been ejected out the back window during the accident. This really scared me, we have 2 kids! everything that was in the rear of the tahoe was thrown out. everything in the dash and console was thrown out of the car. My airbags FAILED, my Onstar FAILED, thank god for my seatbelt. After climbing out I was able to find my rearview mirror, still attached outside of the broken/shattered windshield and push the emergency button. (12 minutes after the wreck!) She couldn't hear me very well, but sent help to my location! Thank god she knew where I was, because I couldn't remember! All of these things went wrong. The driver side roof caved in and the rear left tire when the turned it back right side up was bent horizontal! I contacted GM about all the stuff that went wrong and failed. They were supposed to forward my complaint to the appropriate dept. and get back to me in 48 hours, I haven't heard from them yet! I am terrified to drive, I hurt and can't move my neck or shoulders, but I am still alive. I see the pics of the tahoe and wonder how I am alive today! So, I need to warn you and know if anyone else has experienced such failures. I still wish I could have my Tahoe back, it had every possible feature and I really love it! Hopefully GM cares enough for their car owners to fix these things! My Tahoe rolled onto the onstar antenna, it still didn't activate. It scares me to death!
  • knungerknunger Member Posts: 1
    All of a sudden my 2003 burban front blower (A/C, heater) wont work. The fuse is fine. Who knows where the blower relay switch is? Is it expensive? Hard to replace??

Thanks millions from a newbie...
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    What caused the crash to begin with?
  • timetime Member Posts: 1
    Hi papermouth. It has been since oct. since you listed your problem. Yes, I have had it also. To make a short story, the problem was a anti-theft board (listed in you manual) costs were about $300.00 to run the test and have the tech change the circuit. Time
  • tamicrashtamicrash Member Posts: 2
    It was raining pretty hard and I was on a country road, the back tires hydroplaned.
  • jay_24jay_24 Member Posts: 536
    Rear wheel drive many times causes the rear end to spin around when it looses traction. Any RWD car or truck would likely do the same or similar thing. Solution? slow down. Its pretty much like driving on snow or ice.
  • mtbonmtbon Member Posts: 12
    You are not the only person I have heard of that has had trouble with a Tahoe in the rain. What year, miles, speed and tires did you have? I know of 2 others that have rolled their Tahoes in the past year or so. It seems that once these vehicles lose control, there is no getting it back and a rollover is imminent.

Fortunately you are alive and in 1 piece. All those safety items failing is a definite concern.
  • aa555zzaa555zz Member Posts: 55
    The steering wheel and dashboard airbags are only designed to deploy during a frontal or near frontal impact. They are not designed to deploy during a side or rear impact, or during a rollover. Onstar is activated when the airbags deploy. Since your airbags did not deploy,, Onstar was not activated. Sounds like everything worked properly. Your owner's manual explains these issues in greater detail. Thank goodness you were not seriously hurt.
  • amutrieamutrie Member Posts: 3
    At 25,000 miles we just put in the second intermediate steering shaft on our 2002 Tahoe. Felt the bumping, grinding, loose feeling as going around corners. Warranty expires in August. Don't know what to expect in future. Will this problem reoccur every 10,000 miles for as long as we have the car? Could it also be an EVO sensor? Any other suggestions to cure it permanently? How much should the intermediate steering shaft repair cost (when the car is not under warranty)? Thanks in advance.
  • southerninvitesoutherninvite Member Posts: 1
    Hey there,

Was wondering if anyone could help me program my garage door opener on my 1999 Tahoe. I used a friend's manual (Ford F-150) because our buttons look the same, but mine didn't work. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Suzanne
  • topdjtopdj Member Posts: 1
    well I recoved from a loss of control on a black ICE covered bridge, I was in 2 wheel drive about 65mph
    everything looked fine just some blowing snow here and there, back of the truck starts to come around and I hear the engine rev, I quickly hit the 4 wheel drive button and give it some gas
    fight the over correction a few times and pull out
    I was sweating bullets. and left it in autotrac the rest of the 400 mile trip.
    so I almost lost my Z71 Tahoe
  • mblack1mblack1 Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2003 Tahoe with the same complaint, unfortunately it is outside of the service warranty. I was hoping that Chevrolet would pay for this problem since obviously it's not just me. I know they was something wrong when the dealer told me the part was on back order.
  • hdrider9065hdrider9065 Member Posts: 1
    I own a '03 Chevy Tahoe Z71. With the rising cost of fuel, has anybody tried one of these programer's. I work with a gentleman that used one on a '01 F350 4x4 and increased is fuel mileage dramatically. He said that he was getting close to 28mpg. I realize that there is a difference from diesel and gasoline motors, but I previously owned a '00 F350 2X4 and on a good day got 15mpg. (Both F350's were 7.3L diesels)

I just want to know if anybody has tried one on theirs and recieved similar results or not. If I could bump my mpg to at least 22-23mpg, I think that it would be worth the intial investment of + - $350

Thanks,
    James
  • johnn4johnn4 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased my first Suburban. 2001 1500 LT really just a basic but clean truck. The currently has stock rims but with a Mastercraft block tread design tires. They have to go ! Noise and vibration. Please help with suggestions for good replacements. Will not see off road so tread can be very conservative.

Question #2 It has a slight oil leak on the front drive shaft, drivers side inboard or output area of the 4wd shaft. Common ? Easy fix ?

Thanks - John
  • rbrownsbrbrownsb Member Posts: 1
    One thing everyone has to keep in mind with the Tahoe's, is the stock OEM tires are terrible. They rate average at best. Goto TireRack.com and check for any tires you might seek, they have a huge selection, and thier reviews are very helpful. I just used their reviews and choose a set of Firestone Destination LE's from my local Firestone dealer for my 02 Tahoe LT, and so far have been very happy with them.
  • tqtclippertqtclipper Member Posts: 3
    Hi Owners,

Just thought I would share my tahoe experience with the form for any comments (helpful). I purchased my first Tahoe in July of 2004. It was a 2001 LT with 53K miles. I work out of town so the vehicle is driven by my wife mostly bringing the our 4 children here and there. About two or three weeks after owning the vehicle my wife noticed that the material on the backs of the second and third row seat was beginning to deteriorate. I mean there was no tear it was just disappearing... A really strange thing as if the material was just not durable. Anyway after six months we did not have backs on our seats.

I showed it to my salesman but he was like - your problem man... After that I started looking for alternative for getting the seats repaired..

I finally decided that I would trade the vehicle in for a new Tahoe. I purchased the new Tahoe Feb 25 2005.

Two week after my wife drove the vehicle around guess what problem reappeared?? Yes the seat starting deteriorating again. I showed it to the dealer and this time because the car is less than 30 days old they are going to repair it. Anyone else with this problem?

Thanks,
    Tqtclipper
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    Welcome to the Forums, and sorry to hear about your problem with the Tahoe seats. You might have a look in our Chevy Tahoe/Z71: Problems & Solutions discussion to find others who may have resolved this problem.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Cloth or leather seats?
    Are you putting something on them to clean or attempt to protect them?

We haven't had any issues with our 2003. Seats have held up well with 3 kids climbing over them daily.

-jay
    leather seats
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    To be honest, it sounds as though one of your kids continues to rub their feet against the seat backs. I always have to tell my 3 yr old to not kick the seat backs. Could that be the problem?
    Hmmm. kid's kicking them? anything else rub against them? Have you put a conditioner on them?

The seat backs might be vinyl and just the seating surfaces leather. I don't know if the Tahoe does this but some manufacturer's do this.

Don't know. Ours (cloth with a carpet like back) have held up really well.
    I don't know what is causing this. Knowing this dealership, If they had any evidence that it was even remotely possible this was my (or my children's) doing they would not volunteer repairing them. To my knowledge, we are not touching the back of the seats outside of when the seats are folded down to get access to the rear.

I guess judging from the response this is an isolated incident???

Thanks for the feedback.
  • wpekrulwpekrul Member Posts: 2
    i have the same grinding noise but it only happens at 26 and 40 miles a hour then it stops if anyone has any ideas please help i have a 87 chev wrangler 305 thought it was u-joints but it was not replaced all not the problem any ideas
  • wpekrulwpekrul Member Posts: 2
    my chevy 87 wrangler makes a load noise at 26 and then at 40 miles per hour then quits but when its cold out its loud but when it is nice out you can hear it just a little bit any ideas?
  • arriearrie Member Posts: 312
    ...when seats are folded down to get access to the rear.

That's your answer. Your second row seat head rest rubs on the back of your front seat when you fold it down. This is really a 'not so good design' as there is no limiter or something to prevent seat folding if front seat is set too far back.

The fix for this is to remember to move front seats forward enough to allow middle row seat folding. This is quite annoying. Another way to try to help it is to keep passenger's seat in enough forward position to allow middle row seat folding on that side. In this case just remember to have rear row passengers enter and exit through passenger's side door.

Arrie
  • arriearrie Member Posts: 312
    I must take my earlier suggestion back. It can not be headrest rubbing on seat back.

Then, I'm not sure if I understand what side of the seat back is experiencing this dissappearance of material. Is it on the side where passenger sits or on the backside of the seat back, i.e. is your seat back leather dissappearing or is it the carpet on the backside that has the problem?

Arrie
  • I have a 2004 Tahoe, and the rear air condition control that is overhead between the driver and passenger up front rattles whenever my stereo is on. I have an idea of how to stabalize it, but I cannot figure out how to take the cover to the control panel off. Any suggestions?
  • wgwebelwgwebel Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased my Suburban used and it has been displaying the service ride control message, is there any way to clear this message without going to the dealer? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!!!
  • fwhitefwhite Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a ' 02 Tahoe LT with 20k on it. Only one complaint so far (posted in the problems section) so I hope someone can help with some insight. Other than that I really like the truck. This is a great site and look forward to getting ideas and hints for the truck.
  • jfarleyjfarley Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Z71 suburban with only 25K miles. Last summer on the way to Yosemite I got a "Transmission Fluid Hot" light that came on. After the light went off, I proceeded and the truck wouldn't shift out of 2nd gear. I had it towed and the chevy dealer replaced the clutch in the tranny. My wife drives the car and all seemed to be working ok. Last week, we were on the same trip to Yosemite and the very same thing happened. I got the hot light then the light went off, but I couldn't get it out of second gear. It's in the shop now. It has the 5.3 liter V8 engine. Any ideas about what could be going wrong? Last year I had no trailer, this year I was towing about a 1000 pound trailer, with the tow button depressed, and in D3 on the uphill grade. What happened?

Joe
  • mwh98mwh98 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 4WD LT Suburban and the drivers seat has worn thru on the bottom edge (where you drag you butt across to get in). Does anyone know (other than ebay or the dealer) a place to get a replacement leather cover (I have found a few "take-offs" on ebay, but not the right color). Or even better, do the newer 2001 + seats with the integral seatbelt fit the older body style? I can find the whole seat, frame and all for 2001 +. Thanks, Mark
  • xtianknightsxtianknights Member Posts: 25
    Bought it last saturday. Love it! The wife and I had a 1989 Suburban/2500/454 two years ago and sold it after owning it for 4 years. That was a love hate relationship (lol). I hope this one is better :)
  • xtianknightsxtianknights Member Posts: 25
    What about the trans cooler? I had my Jeep Grand trans go out from heat (I live in the desert) and the failure came from the trans cooler got clogged. Maybe the trans cooler with your is getting glogged too? Just a thought.
  • alston28alston28 Member Posts: 98
    Just bought an 05 LS. Will I live to regret it?
  • edwin10edwin10 Member Posts: 32
    We have 3 chevys, a 2000 3/4 ton suburban, a 2002 3/4 ton 4x4, and a 2003
    Tahoe. Believe it or not all 3 have been good. The 2000 has 70k on it and has
    not been in for repair in 3 years. The 2002 has never been in for repair, it only
    has 19k miles, but I use it mostly off road, drive a car most of the time. The
    2003 Tahoe my daughter drives, has 24k and has only been in the shop once.
    She got rear ended some time back, and had to get a new bumper, the car
    that hit her, did much much worse, that is why she drives this.

I think the 2000 does so well because it is made to tow trailers, and never has.
    But I do tow trailers with my 2002, and it pulls them so easy. One trailer I have
    weighs 9000 lbs, and my suburban pulls it without breaking a sweat.

We are waiting on the new suburbans to come out, and will trade in the 2000
    for one.

Any one seen what they look like. I have heard mixed messages, but have
    not seen a picture.
  • edwin10edwin10 Member Posts: 32
    Find a shop such as leather menders, and they can fix the bad piece, or
    replace the whole seat cover, for cheaper than dealer, or ebay.
  • planosuburbownplanosuburbown Member Posts: 1
    I do not know of any way to clear this message. My 2001 Suburban displayed the same message and I took it to the dealer. I had to get a rear shock replaced because it was bad and the cost was $350. You may also have an airleak, which the dealer can spot and repair at a lesser price then a new shock. You can drive the vehicle with this message on and it will not hurt your Suburban is what the dealer told me. It will just drive like it does not have shocks and the air shock feature will not work to elevate the truck and make it ride smooth if you haul a large load or boat.
  • canamattcanamatt Member Posts: 2
    A couple of questions about my 99 Tahoe.
    1) I purchased a Tekonsha trailer brake controller that apparently plugs into the wiring harness under the dash. Does anybody know where? My Tahoe did come with the optional trailer package so it is supposed to be there.
    2) I really dislike the location of my spare tire. In my small part of Canada (as with many other areas) they use salt and gravel very liberally during winter. The spare tire and wheel are a mess! Has anyone ever tried to use the inside attachment (used on the older 2 door models) on a 4 door model? It looks to be in the same spot as the Jack is mounted now?
    Any help appreciated.
  • canamattcanamatt Member Posts: 2
    I am the Purchasing Agent for a large mining company. The Mine I work for is located in Northern British Columbia. We utilize several types of vehicles to move personnel, among which are 8 Suburbans.
    We have had a rash transmission failures due to the transmission cooling lines coming off. Apparently they are held in place with a small plastic clip that can break. Has anyone else had similar problems? :sick:
  • croftoncrofton Member Posts: 1
    It took two weeks for '99 Suburban LT I just purchased to let me know something weird would happen: the right-turn turn signal seems to have shorted out to the hazard blinker cicuit; when right turn signal is activated, all the hazard lights flash; if the headlights are on when the right turn signal is activated, all the dash panel lights flash also! Tried replacing the flasher module, no effect. Anybody heard of anything similar and where the short might be? I hope I don't have to hire a witch hunt at the dealer's!!

Carl
  • 74marine74marine Member Posts: 3
    Hello;
    My name is James (74marine) hobbies are hunting, fishing and spending time with my family. I currently have a used 2003 Tahoe Z71 5.3 engine with leather (not to fond of) but a good deal. I have had a few minor problems with the vehicle nothing major. It is a pleasure to drive, avg mpg 17-19. I am always curious of any problems / cures other owners have had with their Tahoes / Surburbans. Thanks.
  • sunvalleysunvalley Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased our first Chevy Tahoe last week. 2005 Z71,5.3L V8, Silver Birch, every option except navigation, 7000 miles, list was $49,090.00, scooped it for $29,000 and change. Extended the warranty to 75,000 miles. Just ordered K & N cold air induction kit to replace stock filter system. Anything I should know before installing this system?
  • 2005tahoe2005tahoe Member Posts: 1
    Hello First-timer,

I too am a first-time Tahoe owner and love it, but I am struggling with a couple of things. The most important one is a noise coming from the air conditioner. If you are sitting in the front seats, and the a/c is on Low fan, no entertainment running, we can hear the refrigerant rushing through the system. Does anyone understand what I am talking about, and have you found a resolution (besides turning on the radio)? Thanks.
  • alston28alston28 Member Posts: 98
    There's a recent post in the Tahoe forum about K&N filters v. the filter you get with the towing package. I, too, recently bought my first Tahoe, a new 2005 LS. A friend recommended I get the K&N filter. Said it would improve performance and gas mileage. Is the filter different from the induction kit? What do people generally think about replacing with the K&N filter? Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.