Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suburban Tahoe Owners Meet the Members

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
edited May 2014 in Chevrolet
Please take a moment to introduce yourself and share some details about your Suburban or Tahoe !

My name is KarenS and I am the host of the Edmunds.com Owner's Clubs. Please let me know what discussions you would like to see in your Club folder. I will create them ASAP. You may want to take a look through the other clubs to get ideas for discussions.

Also, if you are interested in a live chat, I can arrange that for you. All Club chats are set up on

Tuesdays:
4:00-5:00 pm PT/7:00-8:00pm ET

-or-

Thursdays:
5:00-6:00pm PT/8:00-9:00pm ET
6:00-7:00pm PT/9:00-10:00 ET
7:00-8:00pm PT/10:00-11:00pm ET
(The latter may be rather late for East Coasters, but is available if you want.)

Let me know if you are interested in a chat and the day/time convenient for you.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
Host
Owner's Clubs

Comments

• lifeguardlifeguard Member Posts: 8
    I think the owners club is a great idea. I've waited 14 months for Chevy to build the Z71. My pewter "Z" now has 1000 miles on it with some of the miles off road. I guess I'm one of the few SUV owners who likes to get it dirty. It is an outstanding machine. I would be interested to know if other suburban and Tahoe owners run off road in the Mojave Desert. Mabey an off road activity could be planned in the future.
  • ssmilesssmiles Member Posts: 35
    I'm the proud owner of a White 2001 Suburban Z71. It was worth the wait. I just flipped over 3,000 miles on mine. Been off-road twice, at home in Orange County, CA and in the Spring Mountains near Las Vegas, NV. So far, so good. No rattles or squeaks. The "add oil" light came on today though.
  • btenbten Member Posts: 28
    I just purchased a Pewter 2001 Suburban Z71. Ordered it in late Feb. got it in late May. It was definitely worth the wait. I have been very impressed so far (1500 miles). I had a small problem with water dripping into the front passenger area - seal on the evaporator case - got that fixed quickly, before any carpet problems. I live in the Houston area, plenty of humidity, so this was critcal -the a/c is always on!
  • lseradlserad Member Posts: 15
    I ordered my Charcoal Tahoe LS 4WD in February 2000 and took delivery late May 2000. I've got 23K on it, and other than lube-oil-filter every 3,000 miles, a tire rotation and the brake hose recall, it hasn't had any mechanical problems. My only complaint with it are the garbage tires! I ordered the 265/70R16 All-terrains, and they gave me Wilderness LEs, which are all-seasons. I finally got them to admit that they (GM) were wrong and that they mis-represented the tires, but their attitude has been pretty much that they're GM and can do whatever they damn well please.

I have large dogs and don't care for leather in a vehicle because they slide around too much, so I loaded my LS up with many of the LT features. I had to delete the luggage rack and on-star to fit it in my garage though!

I've been off-road with it a few times, but didn't do any SERIOUS off-roading because of lack of confidence in those Wilderness LEs!!

Lisa
  • dpayne1dpayne1 Member Posts: 8
    Hi,
    Hope this isn't just for 2001 model owners.
    Picked up the 1997 cherry ice burban Saturday.
    Traded the old '87 at 111K miles after 2.5 years of great service.
    I love burbans..well so far(fingers crossed)
    Regards
  • adplusoneadplusone Member Posts: 66
    My current ride is 2000LT 2WD and it is by far and away the best Burb yet. Have 21,000 miles....owner modes include 18" tires/wheels, badge removal, painted mirrors, work truck (painted to body color) grill with billet insert, etc. Using Bushwacker Street Flares instead of the factories...much cleaner looking.

Had all the initial problems (body mounts, rear windows, rocking seats, leaning of the body) and know all the fixes. Once these were done the truck has been troublefree!

What would I change...1) Does anyone at Chevrolet design ever pick up clothes at the dry cleaners. The combo grab handle/hook is unusable. 2) Why take away the reading lights in the third row? It is a a great place for studying and reading on trips. I guess Chevrolet design folks have no kids.

Jeff Schmatz
    McAllen, Texas
  • skipjack2skipjack2 Member Posts: 29
    I purchased a 01 2500 in Feb of this year. Replaced a 97 Tahoe, 2.42 with the 3/4 Suburban. Suburban has 6.0 engine, 4.10 rear end and 4WD. No major problems with running gear. Consumed quart of oil in first 2000 miles. Pulled my boat real well in overdrive, till I up-graded my Tombstones 245's to Michelin 265 75 16's. Noticed a loss of power in overdrive. Pulling not much better if any, in overdrive than my Tahoe in drive. Gas mileage pulling in OD worse. Around town mileage about 6.5 MPG, Towing 8000 LBS boat and trailer, about 8.7 and hi way about 13 MPG. Biggest gripe, (1) Have not been able to get the speedometer adjusted for the larger tires, giving me a 4% error. (2) GM Customer Service is a joke. Questions I wanted an answer to: (A) Is it possible to adjust the computer to compensate for the larger tires, mileage on the speedometer? If so, where is there a dealer that can do it? (I have tried three times and there was zip change in the error.) (B)If the computer can not be adjusted to compensate, then is a 4% error in the speedometer acceptable?? Now these are only questions about my $4600 list Suburban. You would think that someone could answer these two questions. My emails to Customer Service, were answered "we don't have that information". "Contact Tech Service" Emails to Tech service, response: "We don't have that info, contact Dealer". Dealer "Duh!"
    The 2500, 6.0 engine combo is a wash in my opinion. The extra weight of the 3/4 ton truck, eats up the extra torque. The 4.10 rear end kicks up the RPM to a point that to run in Drive you are turning up too high and in OD, under powered. My old Tahoe, V8 with the 3.42 rear end, got good gas mileage, and pulled my boat better in most respects in drive, than the Suburban can in OD. And the Tow/Haul is set so that I have to drive 55 (57 with speedometer error) on the speedometer to get into overdrive. I not sure that the mileage is any better in overdrive, because the engine is below its best power curve, till you get up to about 65 MPH. Right now I feel that I bought a Gas Hog, 4 months too soon, with border line power, sold by a company that put a computer in the truck and no one knows how to adjust it. I don't think I will own this truck very long, and I know I will take a major hit to get rid of it. Skipjack
  • campo57campo57 Member Posts: 94
    The problem you are having with the towing is due in part to going to the larger diameter tire. You have effective cut your rear gear ratio to 3.96 by going to a taller tire.

As for being able to reprogram, the problem (from what I understand from others) is that the Tech 2 programmer that the dealer has can program any stock available tire size for that model. If I remember correctly, a 265/75-16 was not a stock tire size for the 2500s. Now, that's not to say they can't program that size with the Tech 2, the problem is that the dealer has to contact the Tech support folks and get a special download from them to do it and that's where the trouble begins. It's a hassle for the dealer (like asking them to do anything at all) and they'd rather not bother with it. I'm sure if you push the point, they can do it. The main problem you are going to have is not so much the speedo as the ABS and trans shift points, etc. are all run off the tire size settings in the computer to calculate the correct speed of the vehicle, therefore the ABS will not react like they should in the event of a panic stop, the trans may shift a little differently, etc. With the taller tires you should see an increase in mileage (not towing) but it might be so slight you won't notice it.

So the answer to your question (A) is YES and (B) is conditionally YES. For the speedo it's no big deal as long as you know what the difference is so you don't get a speeding ticket, but it really should be recalibrated to make sure the ABS and other systems that work off the speed of the vehicle function properly.

Campo57
  • jgilchjgilch Member Posts: 2
    I picked up my new Tahoe in June of 2000. I have 22k miles and loving it every day. It is my first SUV, I did a lot of homework and the new style sold me. The only con is the tires Wrangler ST's are terrible in the rain. I am in South Florida so mud and snow are not an issue. If anyone has a good review on some tires, I would appreciate any info. Really happy to see the Owners club. Good place to xchange info. and reviews.
  • bgwavedavebgwavedave Member Posts: 3
    Just got a new LT and thinking of replacing the boards with the tube step "nerf bars". I want one that fits as tight against the side as possible, black matt finish. Any suggestions. Thanks
  • sharkskinsharkskin Member Posts: 11
    I am a proud owner of a Quick Silver/Black Onyx 97 Tahoe LT with Gray Leather Interior. I love this truck. So far I haven't had any major problems with it. Aside from a six week MIA (my truck was stolen and I refused to except the insurance money) its back with me with no damage. I use my truck to haul three kids and two dogs and one very pretty wife. Its also the vehicle of choice to haul just about everything else including lumbar and dry wall. I've been toying with the idea of putting on 17 inch Z71 rims and tires. Its also about time I changed the shocks and I was wondering if I should stay with stock or go for an after market off road shock (to heck with the soft ride). I've been also toying with the idea of putting on a new cat-back system. Any ideas????
  • jerrymcshane1jerrymcshane1 Member Posts: 195
    Found a white Z71 on dealers lot. Only one I might add. Sticker around $39k. What's a good price on this vehicle and how's the ride in comparion to a normal 4-wheel Tahoe?
  • jnj91jnj91 Member Posts: 55
    I have a '01 Suburban 2WD LT that we purchased in Feb. I really love it. I thought it would be truck-like and had to drive. It's really the opposite, the ride is much better than the 4WD Silverado. I have the second row bench which I chose because of the extra seating. (We have 3 boys with 1 still in a car seat.)

I've had two items taken care of by the Service dept., one was a passenger window that rattled, the other was a 'sticking/clicking' noise in the accelerator pedal. I thought both were just annoying, not serious, but they had to order the pedal and didn't want me to drive it until they replaced it.

There is quite a bit of road noise that seems more noticeable, I'm thinking it may be a tire issue. Any suggestions or ideas?

jnj
  • chevyman16chevyman16 Member Posts: 2
    I've had my 2001 charcoal gray Tahoe since July. Just hit 3000 miles and am loving every minute driving it! I love the styling and its nice ride. I'm a true Chevy person and wouldn't buy any other brand.
  • davigfdavigf Member Posts: 7
    Howdy folks,
    I own a 98 2WD Suburban. RED, Chrome, black glass, love it. EXCEPT for this nagging vibration thing that has plagued us since we bought it. I have been thru 2 sets of wheels and tires, and still it vibrates at 70 to 75 mph. Anyone got any advice for this stumped cowboy.

thankya,
    George
  • brikpbrikp Member Posts: 4
    Just got mine a couple of weeks ago, its still clean! Only 600 mile so far. I love it.
  • neetartneetart Member Posts: 1
    I am in the market for a 97 or 98 suburban and have been told that when the V-8 vortec engines start getting into the 100-200k miles that these engines start to wear out, mechanical problems,etc. If any owners or mechanics have know this is or is not true, please let me know. Thanks.
  • drewstandleydrewstandley Member Posts: 6
    4000 miles on her now, purchased new last November. Front suspension squeaks, something *near* glove box rattles like crazy, horrible squeak from under dash near drivers feet area (sounds like water).

I have been a Toyota Land Cruiser owner and am not used to the fit and finish of a GM vehicle, Toyota's just don't sound like this. I am starting to second guess that 0% financing incentive to jump away from my beloved Toyota into this heap. Is there a cure for how shoddy this piece sounds with so few miles? The annoyances have all started within the last 500 miles. Has someone else experienced this as well?
  • rvercherrvercher Member Posts: 4
    I've recently bought a 2002 Tahoe LS, and now there's a horrible grinding/squeaking noise right behind the radio. I've taken it in to Chevy twice now, and they said it was the shift cable. Their fix was to tie-wrap the cable. The service mgr said the cable was hitting on the firewall and this should fix it. It didn't fix it and I'm wondering if someone else is having the same problem...
    thanks
    r.vercher@attbi.com
  • rvercherrvercher Member Posts: 4
    I've recently bought a 2002 Tahoe LS, and now there's a horrible grinding/squeaking noise right behind the radio. I've taken it in to Chevy twice now, and they said it was the shift cable. Their fix was to tie-wrap the cable. The service mgr said the cable was hitting on the firewall and this should fix it. It didn't fix it and I'm wondering if someone else is having the same problem...
    thanks
    r.vercher@attbi.com
  • carlos357carlos357 Member Posts: 1
    Whats up everyone, my name is carlos and I am searching for information on a 01-02 Yukon. Informations as far as the best deals or how to pay for it at invoice price. Thanx for your help!
  • troidtroid Member Posts: 2
    I've lost about 6 of these damn plastic, ill-fitting caps. Is there anyway to prevent? the dealers charge $25. per cap to replace.
    Help!
    212@mindspring.com
  • jaw2000jaw2000 Member Posts: 133
    Mine is an 02 Suburban LS, no issues (that are serious), 1300 miles, no noises or squeaks that cannot be found and resolved. I have the rattling seatbelt when my little girl gets out and does not give the belt time to 'untangle.'

I have (maybe I'm not sure) some wind or road noise, maybe needs better seal at windshield or is road/tier noise, I can't fiure out which. But told dealer and they are most receptive to me bringing it in for a look.

Basically I am about 95% satisfied to this short point in what I hope is long relationship.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Last week, Edmunds rolled out new pricing pages. Along with this is a new "consumer ratings & reviews". This functionality lives in the "consumer opinions" area of the new vehicle detail page, and allows users to rate a vehicle on a number of different criteria (1 to 10 scale), as well as add his/her own free-form comments.

If you have some time, we would really appreciate Town Hall members writing a review of their current auto, or a favorite make/model. It takes approximately a week for your review to appear on that make/model.

If you have any questions, please let me know!

Thanks!

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs
  • daju00daju00 Member Posts: 5
    BUT!! NOTHING!!!,60K MILES LATER MY TRUCK STILL RUNS LIKE NEW!FEW GRIPES NOTHING MAJOR,BUT(YES! BUT!!)AS OF LATE MY GAS PEDAL IS STICKNG,I HAVE TO PRESS DOWN HARD ON IT,THEN OF COURSE COMES THAT INITIAL SURGE OF POWER/GAS ,I HAVE TO KEEP MY OTHER FOOT ON THE BRAKES TO AVOID A MISHAP.ANYONE ELSE WITH THIS GRIPE? YES OF COURSE WILL TAKE IT TO THE DEALER SOON,YOU SEE ONCE I HIT 75K MY WARRANTY WILL EXPIRE.AM THINKING ABOUT BUYIN AN EXTENSION ON THE WARRANTY.WHAT Y'ALL THINK??? OVERALL!!!
  • jack937jack937 Member Posts: 2
    I had the same problem. Dealer cleaned out throttle body sludge. My truck had only 35,000 miles. Runs great, now.
  • ealexand46ealexand46 Member Posts: 4
    I recently purchased a new 2002 Tahoe LT. Everything is fine so far but the drivers side seems to be lower than the passenger side when parked. My wife noticed this first and I thought it was just parked on a slight incline. I continued to check this when the vehicle was parked on apparent level surfaces and, by golly, it does sit lower on that side .I measured and it appears to be about 1/2 inch difference. This doesn't sound like much and probably isn't but now it's bugging us both everytime we look at it. I hate to be so critical but at $40K the darn thing ought to be level. Has anyone noticed this on their vehicle and any suggestions for correcting it. I have checked the air in the tires and they are all the same.
  • cddcdd Member Posts: 5
    Mine has only 550mi on it and runs nicely w/ no problem so far except some little rattling noise especially on roads w/ rough surface. I like the look of the Z71 better but found the LT is better value due to more dealer discount & more options.
    But since I swapped out a new set of wheels & tires, my LT now looks even better than ever.
    FYI: I've talked to a GMC Yukon dealer before purchasing the Tahoe and he told me the Tahoe is better value than Yukon at this time (more discount) because Chevy is competing directly w/ Ford for the best selling title this year.
  • pihenpihen Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I've just bought a '96 burb fitted with its original Delco radio-cassette sound system.
    It's really sufficient for me, the only thing I'd like is to add a CD changer...
    At first glance, I can see 4 possibilities, which one is the best ?
    1/ Is any CD/aux input socket available at the rear of the deck ? I think not as I could find no CD/aux switch on the front panel. In that case, what about those burbs coming with a factory installed CD player just below the radio ?
    2/ The second idea is to use a dummy cassette to put the CD signal thru the cassette playback head : I'm afraid the sound quality would be poor : any experience ?
    3/ The third idea, which does work, is using a converter between the CD deck and the antenna socket of the FM radio. The CD signal becomes an FM signal tuned to an unused frequency and it's OK (probably with some loss in quality as well)
    4/ Of course, I wouldn't like to use the 4th possibility : exchanging the original system for a standard ISO all-in-one sound system...
    Thank you in advance to anyone who could advise, all tips very much welcome ! Thanks
    Pierre (France)
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    Do you drive a Chevrolet Suburban or the Dodge Dakota Quad Cab? If so, and if you're willing to talk with a major daily newspaper about your truck, please send your vehicle info and contact info including phone number by noon Eastern on Tuesday, July 2 to jfallon@edmunds.com. Thanks!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• chirompchiromp Member Posts: 10
    so far I have put in a K&N filter and a Flow master on my 1998 4wd 454. No money for headers. How about the "performance control module" by venom. Does this really help improve engine performance? and for $349 !! Any other ideas? thanks for the info

mitch
  • pllawingpllawing Member Posts: 1
    On long trips, I-95, I constantly have to correct a "tug" to the left on the steering wheel. tugging is present irregardless of lane (road camber); if I let go of the wheel it goes down the road in a straight line. Two front end alignments have not changed anything. It is as though I have to fight the power steering. Am I the only one?
  • phatchef2001phatchef2001 Member Posts: 1
    looking to get either a 03 tahoe or 03 dodge ram.. not too sure which yet but any help on whch one is better would be great

right now have a 2002 eclipse and i will be keeping her ( gonna make hera fast ride)
  • ojsosaojsosa Member Posts: 2
    Hello All- I recently had the driver's side-view mirror replaced on my brand-new 2002 Chevy Z71 Tahoe (<900miles) due to excessive vibration during regular driving. The part that was placed does NOT color-match my Black Onyx vehicle or original mirror. Furthermore, it's not self-dimming. I have two questions for anyone who can help...
    (1) Isn't the driver's side view mirror supposed to be self-dimming STANDARD on all 2002 Chevy Z-71 Tahoes?
    (2) The dealer's GM profile for my truck shows that the mirror they placed (cross-referencing my VIN# with the replacement mirror Kit#) is correct. Do these mirrors need to be repainted to match the correct color? Or does GM have pre-painted mirrors to match their car colors.

Please advise.... this is driving me crazy as it's a new vehicle.

Thanks,
    OJSosa
  • sanjose21casanjose21ca Member Posts: 2
    ABOUT 4 MONTHS ago i purchased a new 02 tahoe. I have been having alighnment problems. dealership fixed it twice but problem still persists. my steering wheel is also centered to the left. i am slowly finding other tahoe owners with the same problem. i am currently taking GM to arbitration to get a repurchase of my tahoe. email me at sanjose21ca@aol.com if you have the same problem.
  • polaris488polaris488 Member Posts: 5
    My 2001 Tahoe has developed the telltale "valve tick" symptomatic of collapsed lifters at only 40,000 miles. I have maintained it properly, changing the oil whenever the "message center" told me it was time to do so and have always used synthetic oil. I have not yet started to pursue what if anything Chevy will do for me.

Is there anybody out there who has developed this problem also, and if so what was your experience like?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Thanx,

Paul V.
  • ericqericq Member Posts: 6
    I had same situation with my 95 suburban. Went on net and found a supplier of OEM radios. Ordered the thing and plugged it in. Nothing to it.
  • autoshopper777autoshopper777 Member Posts: 4
    Hi, I own a 2001 Tahoe that developed an engine knock at about 5000 miles. The knocking occurs when the car is started and continues for a few minutes. It didn't happen all the time, but it is happening more and more. Any body know what the problem is? (Asked a technician about it,he said "some do that ,nothing to worry about". Is this true?)
  • jimmyp1jimmyp1 Member Posts: 640
    I'm considering a new 2002/2003 Z71 Suburban. I am wanting to know two things. One, what are people paying, and two, are there any differences, reliability-wise, between the two years I'm looking at? I have been hearing that $36-37k is a reasonable street price. So, would $38-39k for drive out (including TT&L, delivery, etc.) be reasonable?

Thanks in advance,

Jim
    please help me out, folks!

Jim
  • tahoelatahoela Member Posts: 1
    Just moved here from the desert and I have been taking my tahoe to a Chevy Dealership for service. I have had trouble locating a Chevy specialist in the West LA/Santa Monica area that is reliable and fairly priced. The guys at the dealership are very overpriced and I have found them to do shoddy repairs. Does anyone have a suggestion for a mechanic???
  • mike383mike383 Member Posts: 2
    I bought my Z71 suburban (white) for 34K listed for 43K. It was an end of year (02)and had some demo miles (4000). I have dealt with demos before and never had any problems. Some folks dislike demo's but I like a good deal. Have had zero problems to date.
  • goodyrlgoodyrl Member Posts: 83
    We were on vacation 600 miles away from home and had engine trouble. To make a long story short the Chevy Dealer told us we had a cracked block and it would cost between 5300 and 6300 for a new engine. We had 68,000 miles on it and were told there was no warranty left. We had pretty much always serviced it at our local dealer and are stunned at this happening.

Now that we are home I am wondering if anyone knows where we can go for factory assistance. I prefer names over just calling in and complaining.

Any assistance would sincerely be appreciated.

Thank you
  • erplatzerplatz Member Posts: 1
    We had an incident today where control of our Tahoe was lost with an initial veering to the left. When the vehicle came to rest the left rear hub assembly was folded under the vehicle. Has anyone seen any similar failures? Thanks!

Elmer
  • finns1finns1 Member Posts: 2
    What kind of gas mileage does 2wd Suburban get for 02-03
  • iblyniblyn Member Posts: 1
    OK.. Got a problem. My car dealer went out of business about 1 year after I bought my Tahoe.(He lost his dealership!) Did have one recall on the driver seat, had that taken care of. Now I see that there was one for the windshield wipers. Never got a letter or anything. What do I do ?? Help needed here. have about 120,000 miles on it now, still love it and runs ok. Just needs a minor tune up. Any ideas out there that can help me? Also, reading the TSBs on 1996 Tahoes' and have no idea what all these problems are?? Are these recalls ??
  • kylnjkylnj Member Posts: 7
    I just got a 96 Tahoe, 5.7L, 107K mile, with Tow pkg. I wonder what is the max tow capacity? How often should I change transfer case oil? Do I need a ATF change or a ATF flush?

I got a problem of: if I dont drive it 3-4 day, the battery is going low and need a jump. Anyone have any idea?

thanks
    it's definitely past due for a new one. Short of that (no pun intended) there may be something draining it elsewhere. Anything been done to the car electrically lately?

Jim
  • kylnjkylnj Member Posts: 7
    Hi jimmyp1,

thanks for response, for the past 3 yr, i saw 2 replacement. so I assume it is the 3rd, counting the original 1st. I took the current battery to pepboy to test. they say it is good. test hole showng green. no electronic job lately.

Also should I change transfer case oil?

tom
  • thornsrthornsr Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if a third row seat can be installed aftermarket? I have a 2001 Tahoe that did not come equipped with the third row seat, and I find that now that my wife is pregnant with twins, I need a third row seat, but I don't want to go out and buy a new Tahoe! Any suggestions?
This discussion has been closed.