Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suburban Tahoe Owners Meet the Members

Comments

• kylnjkylnj Member Posts: 7
    I think I found the problem draining the bettery.
    It is the driver side, vanity mirror light.
  • jimmyp1jimmyp1 Member Posts: 640
    good to hear. Good luck from here forward. I am in the market for a Z71, so I hope to join the group soon.

Jim
    I got a good one to tell everybody: sunday i found out that even you remove key, quite a few of accessory still working. i notice that the driver side sun visor is very hot, the vanity/mirror light are on all the time. the light has a spring switch. when not used the cover of the mirror will keep the switch off and shut the light. there are 2 hinge hold the cover in place and the one close to switch is broken. so the light is on all the time. what a relief.

when the battery is constantly charging and discharging all the time when the hinge fail about 3 years ago. this is the reason within 3 year this is the 2nd battery.

on 2nd thought, ironically, GM sure have something to be proud of "the 2 vanity light bulb is on for about past 3 yrs and still working"

i use a metal plate and taped against the spring switch to keep it off and hope i correct the problem.
    i forget to mention. this tahoe is for the wife of the household carrying kids around. she must have use the vanity mirror/light a lot while on the road. i guess i can say its all woman's fault

now i got another problem and hope someone can help: during trouble shooting, i remove the battery and had it tested at shop to confirm it is good. after connect it back, the radio is locked 'loc'. i guess seller give me the wrong passcode, while i am trying to unlock it, i try 2 many time and the display is changed to 'InOp'.

anyone had similar experience can help ??
    thanks much
  • wkohlerwkohler Member Posts: 74
    As per the instructions in the owners manual (I assume you've read that) you'll need to take it to a dealership to have the radio reset.
    I, check into the manual again and it say keep the igination on for over an hour, it will reset and I try again with the correct passwd and it works.

thanks anyway.
  • howard007howard007 Member Posts: 6
    Where can I get good pricing on seat covers for my 03 Suburban for front seats, 60/40 and bench? I'm looking for basic material that will keep the kids from runining the leather.
    Thanks
  • howard007howard007 Member Posts: 6
    Where can I get good pricing on seat covers for my 03 Suburban for front seats, 60/40 and bench? I'm looking for basic material that will keep the kids from ruining the leather?
    Thanks
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    Lookin your yellow pages under auto 's then trim ect.. should be a listing for the supplier that the trim shops buy the material from .
  • graybograybo Member Posts: 8
    The interior lights started to come on when they shouldn't. Had to use the dome override to keep the battery from draining. I was told the switch was bad, so I replaced it. The switch lasted about a month and now the same thing is happening. Also, when the dome overide button is not on, I can hit any auto window swtich and the interior lights will blink. Before I take it to my mechanic to try and track the problem down, I am curious to see if anyone has had a similar experience. Any advise would be appreciated.
  • fritzofritzo Member Posts: 7
    Hi All,
    I am flying to Texas to pick up a 2000 Z71 Tahoe w/ 24,000 miles on it - in absolutely mint condition. All extras, dark green w/ light grey leather. I thought deal was too good to be true, but had my bro check it out in person (has owned 2 Tahoes and 2 Suburbans) and he says its even better than he imagined. Carfax shows all clean, single owner - even comes with local dealer service records.

Any suggestions on things to look for during my inspection/drive? I have read the posts here and the TSB's at the NHTSA website.

'Lifeguard' and 'ssmiles' - I live in SoCal and like to go out to Mojave/Bishop/Nevada/Arizona and play in the Desert/mountains too. Lets figure out a way to get together for a trip. I have a '90 FJ62 Toyota Landcruiser now that will climb a tree!

*****NOTE TO MODERATER: This forum unlike others doesn't allow members to put their email address in their profiles if they want - so how can I get in touch with the two members above? Can you email them for me and I can give you my email through some private messaging option?

Anyway, I'm leaving tomorrow so any ideas on my inspection/drive will be appreciated. I just want to get a nice dependable 4x4 that will serve me and my family well on long trips etc. Pretty excited!
  • fritzofritzo Member Posts: 7
    I guess others can put their email addresses in their profiles. Lifeguard and ssmiles if you see this please respond here and we'll figure out a way to get in touch.

Thanks
  • mackkoymackkoy Member Posts: 2
    on cold start the tahoe has knocking or ticking inthe engine last for 30 or more seconds i have seen some discussions but no cure has chevy issued tsbs to cover please let me have any info u may have tks mackkoy
  • mackkoymackkoy Member Posts: 2
    on cold start the tahoe has knocking or ticking inthe engine last for 30 or more seconds i have seen some discussions but no cure has chevy issued tsbs to cover please let me have any info u may have tks mackkoy
  • mfullmermfullmer Member Posts: 773
    Just (ok, two weeks ago) purchased (leased) a 2003 Tahoe LT. I got the Redfire Metallic paint and every option except for the DVD (can't get that with the sunroof).

I traded up from an 02 Bravada and, other than the somewhat inconvenient 3rd seat setup, I'm very happy.

I do have a rattle in the rear of the sunroof but I'm not surprised, I had the same rattle on my Bravada and my '01 STS. Dealer repaired it on first visit. Hopefully the same will happen this time.

Love what they did for '03. I didn't get it in '01 when I got my Bravada just because it didn't have all of the "goodies" the triplets have. Now, I have my "truck" (grrrr) and all the goodies to boot.

yee haw.
  • 805gorilla805gorilla Member Posts: 1
    I finally have the opportunity to purchase a tahoe. I've been in love with them since they first came out in 96 (i think). I test drove it last night and the papers will be finished this afternoon and I'll take delivery tomorrow. I am SOOOO excited. It's the nicest vehicle I've ever owned. I've owned an 89 Cherokee, a 93 Bronco, and have an 01 Wrangler now. None can even come close to the Z. It's white w/ tan interior, the 2nd row capt's chairs & xm radio. the only thing it doesnt have is the dvd player because of sunroof. If anyone lives in bakersfield or central CA let me know. I wanna get this thing out in the desert & mountains asap. sstevens805@yahoo.com
  • ianshawianshaw Member Posts: 119
    805gorilla - yes - there are people who live in Bakersfield or in central CA. In fact, there a lot of them!!!

Just kidding - for some reason the literal interpretation of your question made me laugh! (If anyone lives in bakersfield or central CA let me know.")

Congratulations on your new Tahoe!! How do you like the 2nd row captain's chairs?
  • gmallthewaygmalltheway Member Posts: 77
    My question was anyone with a 200-2003 Tahoe LT, remember in early 200 when the new body style came out, i was in love and we got one, Black w/ dark gray leather and the standard polished alloy wheels. All the the sudden they were not avalible, what ever happened to those wheels, i was in the market for a new tahoe but i don't like the unpolished wheels, maybe i'll have to settle for the Z71, darn (I'm kidding). My answer is to 805 gorilla, the Tahoe began in 1995, not 1996 just to let you know.
  • shieattshieatt Member Posts: 75
    We just picked up our 2003 Suburban LT 4WD. This is actually our second one in the last 9 days - had a few issues with the first and the dealer got us another. We absolutely love it - we got every option, including Autoride and the RSE DVD, except the sunroof (because as you know you can't get the DVD and the sunroof both until next year). Anyway, what a great vehicle. We traded a 2000 Expedition 4WD Eddie Bauer. The Suburban is so much more powerful, quieter and better handling I can hardly believe it. It feels smaller to drive in spite of the fact it is bigger. We bought it in anticipation of our fourth child, who is due to arrive in a few months. What can I say but that the Suburban is the ultimate family-mobile. Tons of room, tons of entertainment options (incidentally, love the XM Radio), 4WD for snow and dirt roads, you can pull a boat or camper no problem, and what a great looking vehicle. We briefly considered the new Toyota Sienna, but once I realized I would pay sticker for it and compared payments with the Suburban with 0% financing, that didn't last long. The payment on a fully-loaded Suburban was actually LESS than on a fully-loaded Sienna even though the Suburban retailed for almost $10K more!!! And while the new Sienna certainly is an advanced automobile, it still can't hold a candle to the 'Burb.
    just wondered what is the color combo on your new "'Burb" P.S good choice!
    gmalltheway - Thanks! We ended up getting the Redfire Metallic with Grey/Pewter interior. I was disappointed to find out that on the "dark" colors - black, grey and blue - the bodyside moldings and fender flares are not color-keyed, but rather are plain black plastic, which I think takes away from the classier looks of the LT, so we ruled those out. We also ruled out green, which for some reason my wife didn't like, and white, which was the color of the Expedition we just traded and we wanted something new. We really liked the Light Pewter too, but didn't find one with the option combo we wanted.
    Yes, i know what you mean about the body side molding. Ours is Black, we don't have the wheel flares but the side molding and the top of the front bumper are flat black not color keyed, doesn't look as bad with black as the body color but i do agree with you about less classy look. Does your's have a sunroof, DVD, (not avalible together unfortunaltly), 2nd row captains chairs?
    Got home a bit later than expected from by brothers in Columbus, Got T-Boned by some drunk idiot in a 300M. I think it's safe to say the wife's 2000 Tahoe LT is totalled. Everything worked like it was suppose to, the side along with the front air bags all inflated, everyone is ok just a little shocked. Mr. 300M ran the red light and slammed into the rear driver side, we got pushed across the intersection and the passenger side front fender took the hit against a poll. The whole rear end (behind the 2nd row) is almost separated from the rest of our Tahoe and the engine is practically pushed out the driver side of the truck. Never been in a wreck, hope i never am again!
  • mary1569mary1569 Member Posts: 8
    Hey Everyone,
    I am purchasing a new 2003 Tahoe LT on Monday. I read a few of the messages and someone made the comment about the sunroof vs DVD. I went to an after market car accessory place and they showed me some Tahoes they put the flip down screen (10.4)w/DVD player in and it didn't interfer with the sunroof. They put the player in the dash under the cig lighter area. If this is not so please someone help I will be purchasing it on Monday and then will not take the sunroof. Have 2 kids need DVD.

Thanks.
    What i had referred to was the fact that you cannot get both a sunroof and DVD entertainment together from the factory in a Tahoe, if buying an after market DVD it is however possible. (Personally i don't care for the after market ones, make sure you have a warranty is offered with it in case anything goes wrong with it, also make sure it doesn't interfere with your Factory warranty with GM that could cause problems.)
    Thanks so much for the response. I just was worried that it wasn't a good idea. I am so looking forward to the new vehicle that I have been trying to do as much research as possible. I just found this web site today and thought I post the question. By the way I hope everyone in your vehicle is ok. Sorry about the crash.

P.S. warranty from installer for 1 year. Have had a few friends highly recommend company. :):)
    gmalltheway - Wow!!! I am very sorry to hear about the accident, but I'm glad everyone is okay. In response to your question, ours has the DVD (yes, it is too bad, no sunroof) and the captains chairs. Actually, it pretty much has every option - XM radio, Autoride, and yes, SIDE AIRBAGS!! After hearing your story, I am very happy we have those!

To those with questions regarding sunroof vs. DVD, if you are going to by a 2003 and want DVD, I would recommend giving up the sunroof. The factory RSE DVD is extremely good and very nicely integrated into the vehicle and the factory sound system. When played through the stereo, the movie sounds spectacular and it all works together very well - a little "DVD" light even appears on the stereo when a movie is playing. In contrast, I believe all aftermarket systems are FM modulated (i.e., you tune to an unused FM channel to hear the soundtrack) and the sound quality isn't quite as good. Also, as mentioned, not covered by 3 year/36K warranty.

Also, if you can wait for a 2004, I know that you can get BOTH - apparently they finally solved this engineering feat!
    Hi shieatt,
    Could you tell me then how is the picture and view w/ your dvd player. Do the kids have to lean over to watch the view? Can you see it from rear 3rd row? Now I don't know what to do. HELP.

THANKS.
  • rach_in_warach_in_wa Member Posts: 10
    We purchased an '03 Sub Z71 at the end of May. I got it for invoice less $500 disaster rebate (OK), $750 military rebate, $1303 GM credits=$38K at 60 months 0%. We went with an aftermarket SAVV mobile video system. All components were SAVV from montiors to tv tuner. The 7" montiors are in the headrests. The kids can watch DVD, TV or play their PS2. Since each monitor has its own input, one can watch DVD while other plays PS2 and we can listen to TV over radio with the FM modulator. The wireless headphones have an A and B switch for them to select which screen they want to tune into. We had a game port installed on rear panel behind second row seats for easy plug in of the PS2. In addition, I now have an electric outlet. We checked out a lot of different TV systems from the audiovox to JVC to SAVV. To us, SAVV had the best screen quality/resolution hands down. The other systems had bad graphics, bad resolution, for headrest monitors, like JVC, Ultimate would have to cut your OEM headrest, etc. It cost more to go with the headrest system but we felt the quality of the picture, sleekness of the installation (no wires, no cutting of existing headrest) and the ability to keep the kids entertained on a long trip with multiple options for activity was worth it. See www.savv.com for info.
    Thanks rac in wa,
    I went to the web site and e-mailed a rep in so cal. Do you have the leather seats? Someone said that the headrest might make some kids car sick. How old are yours? Mine are 3 and 8. I just want to make sure I am getting everything I need before I sign the dotted line. Did you lose any warranty w/ Chevy for the aftermarket installation?
    mary1569: We have a 5 year old and a 3 year old who ride in the third row seat, and a 1 year old who rides in one of the second row captains chairs (we will have another in October to fill the other second row captains chair, but he won't be watching TV for a while, especially since he will be facing the other way for a year). Now that you know why we bought a Suburban, I can tell you the little ones in the third row love the system and don't have any problem viewing the screen. They sometimes lean slightly towards the center, but it's not an issue at all. The picture quality is excellent.

I read rach_in_wa's post, and she does bring up a few advantages of aftermarket... most importantly the ability to have multiple screens so that one kid can watch a movie and another can play a video game. This wasn't all that important to us, especially with 4 kids - I don't know of a system that can let 4 kids do their own thing independently!! Anyway, I figure they are spoiled enough as it is having a DVD player and one screen! And, I am generally not a fan of aftermarket anything - whenever possible I like factory equipment best.

If you decide to go the aftermarket headrest route, I have also seen that you can purchase replacement headrests with monitors already built in so you don't have to cut yours. I'm pretty sure I saw them at Best Buy's website.
    After market headrest, DONT CUT UP YOURS, because then if you ever decide to take them out or anything you WILL have one big 'ol hole in the headrest, so if i were you i'd get the new headrest
    Thank you everyone. We decided to for go the sunroof. Maybe next vehicle. Hoping to purchase vehicle today. Can't wait to drive it.
    How do I get the edit / delete icon off?
  • openydopenyd Member Posts: 6
    I can't seem to find a dual exhaust system that will exit behind each of the rear wheels. I have only found systems that exit on the passenger side only. If anyone has any info, please let me know.
    Rick
  • joepaljoepal Member Posts: 1
    Two questions for the panel... First Suburban, 2003, LT 4W - First question: Does anyone feel that the transmission is a little sloppy - slight clunking after re-engaging the accelerator after letting off the gas... in 2W drive mode?
    Second: Bug Deflector.. went to the dealer for GM bug deflector - thought I was getting a genuine GM part...they installed an EGR but it's more of a hood protector.. cause bugs hit the windshield at will. Any recommendations for a good bug deflector?
  • suburbank2500suburbank2500 Member Posts: 29
    I ownn a 99 K1500 with a 3.73 rear end. We bought a trailer whose dry weight is 5000 lbs.. On my recent 3500mile vacation, we went thru Yellowstone, and man I was a wishin for a big block. I've got a K&N filter and it made improvements. Has anyone had experience with the Banks systems on the 5.7. My cost is about 1780, uninstalled, but $1780 is cheaper than switching to a K2500 (a REAL burb ;) ) Thanks
  • gammastrepgammastrep Member Posts: 1
    Thinking of buying a 2002 ( used ) or 2003 4WD Suburban. Maybe a Z71 or LT. Not sure of which at this moment.

I would appreciate any feed back regarding gas millage. 5.3 eng.

Thanks
  • fkozilfkozil Member Posts: 65
    In town, figure on 12-13 mpg.

On the highway, approx. 17-18mpg.

Both figures are based on a 1500 series 4x4 with the standard 3.73 rear.

Your numbers may decrease slightly with the Z71 package due to the standard 17" tires.
  • papermouthpapermouth Member Posts: 1
    Hi Everybody, This is my first time to post a question and I would appreciate any help anyone can give!
    I have a 99' Tahoe LS with a 5.7L engine. My problem is that every so often when I try to start the engine, it will start and then die, sometimes for 30 minutes or longer, and then will start and run fine. Has anyone experienced this problem and what was the fix? Thanks
  • gfakergfaker Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at buying a 2001 3/4 ton suburban with the 8.1 motor and the 4:10 rear end. I cant get an honest answer on what to expect for gas milage. I have been told any where between 5 and 16 mpg. Thanks~
  • ianshawianshaw Member Posts: 119
    My good friend owns a 2002 Suburban, 3/4 ton with the 8.1 engine and the 4:10 rear end. He has been getting approximately 10-11 mpg when NOT towing. When towing a 26 foot camper, he is getting 4-6 mpg. In general, he has been dissapointed with the fuel economy. However, the thing does have power!! We went on a camping trip this summer where I took my 2002, 5.3l Tahoe, towing a 2300lb tent camper and he took his Sub towing the 26 foot camper (it probably weighs 7,500lbs). That suburban easily outran the Tahoe up the summit between Cheyenne and Laramie, Wyoming. I was impressed. He would have beaten me to the camping spot, but for the fact that he had to stop for gas every 5 minutes!!!
  • mkarpmkarp Member Posts: 22
    Am looking to purchase a used suburban but am concerned about the milage you owners are getting. Can anyone with a 99 or 98 diesel let me know what your real world mpg has been? Is there anything I would need to be worried about by purchasing such a truck with 75-85,000 miles? What type of maintenance issues if any? Thanks for help.
  • highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    used, and it was highly modified by Stillen Motorsports.....loaded to the max with everything on it....supercharger, 5 TVs, DVD, VHS, alpine NAV, 5 headphones, Dynamat everywhere, K&N, etc.

My question is : do you know how they measure the cargo cap of 132 cu ft.?? How can a Suburban, the king of cargo space, have less space than a minivan, which have anywhere between 120 to 158 cu ft. ???
  • porknbeansporknbeans Member Posts: 465
    Let me start by saying that every manufacturer measures there cargo capacity differently (some with a little elfin magic). The last time I read on it there was no real "industry standard", or if there was it left plenty of leeway. That being said, part of the reason that there is less space in the Suburban versus a minivan is because the Burb is a body on frame rather than a unibody construction. I also don't know of any minivans that have a V8. V8's generally take up more space than a V6 which means less interior room. Finally, there is also the issue of ground clearance. If you raise up a vehicle to gain ground clearance (ala Suburban/Tahoe) it will take away interior room over a minivan (assuming that both roof lines remain the same). I don't know if this helps or not, but just some suggestions.
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    The Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    yes, it helps.

I had a previa which can take 7 adults and 3 full size suitcases, plus misc smaller bags.

the suburban could take 8 adults , 5 full size suitcases and many smaller bags.

last time when the Continental Singers(a Christian music group) came, I was able to take in 5 singers , plus all their luggage, and it was alot, when you are on the road touring the US for 3 months.....! No way my Previa could have donne that.....not with the small cargo area.

You hit on an important point: how do they measure cargo space ? I was reading the salesman spec sheet for the Previa, and it said that ; with the 3rd row folded up, and the 2nd row bench removed, it would get 157.8 cuft. but that means it could now only seat 2, including driver.....so it would not be a fair comparison to a Suburban, unless theyt also measured with all 2nd and 3rd row removed.....right ??
  • porknbeansporknbeans Member Posts: 465
    I did a google search and couldn't come up with anything about a standard for measuring. I do know that Consumer Reports fits a metal frame in the cargo area of a vehicle to measure the cu area. I think that they also do a grocery bag capacity on vehicles with a trunk. I'll check my CR's when I get home to verify.

I did come up with this article though:

http://www.epinions.com/auto-review-C99-B1D554C-3A37882E-prod1

IIRC, a couple years ago the federal government made Toyota change some of their marketing information about capacity because they were being, umh, let's just say creative.

I'll try and dig something else up, but if somebody knows more please pitch in.

by the way, if you're ever in my neck of the woods with the Stillen or the Ceyenne, I'd be available to give you my opinion on those! :)
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    The Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
    yeah, I'll drop by if you are in CA...we can switch for a few days....:-) which state are you in(don't mean to pry) ....

thanks for all your info and the website....it really helps.

let us know what you get..... :-)
  • ntruromanntruroman Member Posts: 9
    Need to know who out there has this set up (2WD) and what kind of mileage you get.
    I'm looking at this truck and just want to know what I'm getting into.
    Thanks.
  • altima abbyaltima abby Member Posts: 1
    We recently got a used 2002 tahoe, with the 5.3, z71 package. Brought back to dealer after one week because it made an awful scraping noise at slight acceleration, espcially noticable when a/c on. They repaired the wiring harness boot, which "fell inside the dash". However two days later, the noise is back. Less noticible and not as regular! Of course it would not make the noise the second time we brought it back to the dealer! (they are being good about the situation but its annoying!)Any thoughts or experiences with this?
This discussion has been closed.