Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protege5 Maintenance and Repair

1222324252628»

Comments

• autonomousautonomous Member Posts: 1,769
    The horn on my 2002 P5 is ready to die. According to a mechanic, it was likely the road salt that did it in. I plan to replace it in a couple of weeks. A friend suggested I check out a second hand one. That sounds reasonable considering I plan to keep the car for another two years.

Any comments on replacing it with a new one from the dealer or a used one from the scap yard? Any suggestions/tips on the process?
  • sak0990sak0990 Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 2003 pro5 with a 6 disc changer. The cd player will load the cds, and they will start to spin, but when they start spinning they make a werid sound, like the disc is uneven and spinning. The player tells me to check disc. Ive tried different cds in it. Has anyone had the same problems? Buy a new one or can it be fixed? :)
    The horn on my 2002 P5 is ready to die. ... I plan to replace it ...

Update: I bought a new horn for C$60; installation will be happening in December.
    6 disc changer. The cd player will load the cds, and they will start to spin, but when they start spinning they make a werid sound, like the disc is uneven and spinning. The player tells me to check disc. Ive tried different cds in it.
    Have you tried loading and playing one standard CD alone? Are the CDs that you are trying home-made or standard store bought ones?
    The horn on my 2002 P5 is ready to die. ... I plan to replace it ...

Update: I bought a new horn for C$60; installation will be happening in December.

It took one hour to have my garage replace the horn ... and now it's back tooting good as new!
  • skallsacskallsac Member Posts: 1
    Hi. New to this site.

Just bought an '03 P5 w/ 108k from a Honda dealer in the Bay Area. I regret it now just because I found other models w/ less miles. Anyways, 50 miles after driving the car off the lot the CEL came on. I returned it immediately to the dealer and after running the computer they told me the rear cat needed to be replaced. I was able to get them to give me a 12 yr/ 12k warranty on the car on top of replacing the cat for free. I mentioned that I heard the EGR valve was an issue w/ this model and they basically shrugged it off. After they replaced the rear cat w/ an aftermarket part, the CEL came on within 20 miles. I returned the car again to the surprise of the service man. He apologized and said he would have to check w/ Mazda to see what to do. He called back to tell me the front cat needs replacing as well, this time w/ a factory part. I am returning the car in a few days for the repair. I am very concerned that other problems will arise and cause the CEL to come on again, or worse. I may be able to return the car w/o penalization. I do love it and would rather keep it w/ the confidence that nothing else will happen for now. They are replacing it for free, but how do I get them to believe that the EGR, O2 sensor, etc. could cause these problems and have them check it?

Thanks for any help.

Right low beam already went out too. Not a great 1st impression.
    I was able to get them to give me a 12 yr/ 12k warranty
    Did you mean 12 month/12k warranty?

I may be able to return the car w/o penalization. I do love it and would rather keep it w/ the confidence that nothing else will happen for now. They are replacing it for free, but how do I get them to believe that the EGR, O2 sensor, etc. could cause these problems and have them check it?
    Was the car certified by the seller? Has the seller written down in the contract that all necessary repairs would be covered during the warranty period? Contact the seller to express your concerns and see what is said if you were to return the car and whether there are any "special" charges (penalties).

You may want to consider getting an independent assessment done by a garage/mechanic that you trust. You can mention specific concerns (e.g. EGR). The mechanic may be able to evaluate the overall condition of the car and alert you to potential problems in the near future.

With a seven year old car you should expect to have some repairs required. Based on the mechanic's evaluation you could decide which are reasonable (e.g. worn tires need to be replaced eventually), which are trivial (e.g. burnt bulb) and which are serious repairs that you don't want to have to face (e.g. faulty transmission).

My 2002P5 has had its issues but on the whole I am very satisfied with the vehicle and its repair history.

Keep us posted and good luck!
  • hypermiler01hypermiler01 Member Posts: 1
    Hola... new to website... great insights.....
    I would appreciate everyones input regarding modification to get more MPG
    Any sugjestions?
    Tires: (stock Dunlops are great but ware quickly) Replaced with non-stock..miss the performance.. small milage drop...reasonable compromise? need better shoes!
    Gas: (87Octane) any benefits 89?
    Oil: (5W-30 Dino w/ 3k changes) Synthetic? 10W-40? Is it too late to convert?
    Air: (K&N, intake unmodified) Any more sugjestions?
    Mileage Computer: fun or practical?
    Reprogramming: expensive... is it worth it?
    Oddities: small leakage at valve cover...should I worry?

After adpoting a hypermiler driving habits I average 24.5mpg.
    Most driving is California city 90%, 10% freeway.

P5 2003 w/miles: 75K, generally stock, lovingly maintained

Thanks for your imput! :)
  • pete79pete79 Member Posts: 4
    I'm guessing you know all this because its obvious stuff, but here it is anyway:
    Is your car manual or automatic? From my experience, it's how you drive that makes the difference. Not the gizmos you add to your car.
    If manual, shift @ 2000rpm. No hard accelerations: makes a big difference too. Put on neutral when coming to a stop/going off highway (avoid downshifts). If you see a red light ahead, go easy on the speed... just let the car roll to the light rather than accelerate and brake.
    Keep trunk empty. Turn AC off when not needed. Respect speed limits.

And best tip ever: walk or bike for the short trips! :)

2001 protege. Just above 60K
    I'm guessing you know all this because its obvious stuff, but here it is anyway:
    Another obvious one: keep your baby well tuned. Or as the Beatles would say
    "In Penny Lane there is a fireman with an hourglass
    And in his pocket is a portrait of the Queen.
    He likes to keep his fire engine clean,
    It's a clean machine."
    :)
  • dwryterdwryter Member Posts: 87
  • iamziamz Member Posts: 542
    Unless your P5 is not tracking straight or pulling when you let go of the steering wheel, I wouldn't.
  • winston3xwinston3x Member Posts: 16
    Hi,
    catalytic converters generally don't go out on their own. Usually a result of misfires. If possible you should ask for the CEL codes the dealership pulled. P0300 is a misfire. (auto parts stores can usually do this, even after the fact).
    if the car misfires, you'll know it and you'll get another flashing CEL

If that happens, my advice to you would be to invest about $200 in new ignition coils, spark plug wires, and spark plugs. If the coils have never been changed, they are probably overdue @108k. Check rockauto.com for the parts. OEM from mazda are insanely expensive.

igntion coils - * Airtex (5C1208) or Standard Motor Products (UF-407)
    wires (short & long in a set) - NGK Part # 5659
    plugs - NGK copper
    labor - no more than 1 hour
    Unless your P5 is not tracking straight or pulling when you let go of the steering wheel, I wouldn't.
    Agreed. In fact that's what a Mazda service rep recommended to me when I asked the same question.
  • rockinrrockinr Member Posts: 4
    I was/am having the same issue on my 2002 P5. now its worse. when the engine is cold it starts. when the engine is warmed up it either won't crank at all or it tries to crank then blows the injector 30 amp fuse under the hood. It seems to me it is a bad starter motor.
    my 2002 P5 ... a bad starter motor
    Could be. It's an eight year old car, so it's likely it will need parts replaced. Personally, I'd have my garage check it out to make sure the right ones are being replaced.
    I replaced the starter because it did test bad when it took it to the auto parts store.
    This did not fix the problem. it still blows the main 30 amp injector fuse everytime i turn on the key and try to start the car. my car has been broken for 3 weeks. i reallt need to get it fixed. i can't afford to have it towed and repaired by mazda or a repair shop. someone has to know what tis problem is and how to fix it HELP! please :cry:
    It looks like the AC in my 2002 Protege5 may be breathing its last cool breath. The AC failed two weeks ago. After a diagnosis last week, my garage restored the AC by adding a solution to plug leaks. This may be a temporary fix if the AC compressor or other components are on their last legs.

Has anyone else had similar AC experiences?
    Mine still works on my P5 but the airconditioner at home is starting to fail. :) The AC on the P5 was always pretty week though from the start. I remember one hot day with a passenger in the car, it could not keep up and was fairly uncomfortable.
    I remember one hot day with a passenger in the car, it could not keep up and was fairly uncomfortable.
    Ditto. A few weeks back while heading to Montreal ours conked out. Like Paul, I was suddenly converted to the worth of AC.

p.s. do you have your new Fiesta? They are all over the showrooms here but I haven't had a chance myself to take a look yet.
    "p.s. do you have your new Fiesta? They are all over the showrooms here but I haven't had a chance myself to take a look yet."

Interesting. Seems they must be shipping them all to Canada then because last I heard from my dealer (this past Saturday) was that only 2 were in the twin cities (Mpls./St.Paul, MN) ;)

I'm thinking, if I'm lucky, maybe by September. Ford really messed up the launch of these cars. :(
  • historygal58historygal58 Member Posts: 1
    I just tried to replace the rear brake pads on my 2003 Mazda Prootge5. Is there a special tool needed to depress the caliper cylinder? IF so what is it and where do I get it?
    Do I have to bleed the brakes just to get it to depress?
    On my previous vehicle, I used a C clamp to depress this cylinder. ON this caliper there is not single flat spot on which I could get a C clamp to attach. I tried another tool that fit inside where the outer brake pad fits and presses against the inner brake pad to depress the cylinder. Perhaps it was a cheap tool but the threads stripped trying to twist it down on the brake pad. I had to use a hack saw to cut it to get it out.
    The current brake pads are worn and I want to get this accomplished soon. I have searched everywhere on the internet for an answer.
    All the garages around here insist on turning the rotors and charging an arm and a leg for it. If I replace the pads now--turning them is not necessary. HELP?!
    ok i don't know what it is called but the round portion of the caliper that pushes in on the inside pad turns like a screw. it is like a self adjuster. turn it until it goes in. you will be able to tell if your turning it the right direction because the rubber boot around it will compress. you will have to use some sort of pliers to turn it.
  • rarmcprarmcp Member Posts: 2
    There is a Allen head Bold on the back of the Caliper just unscrew it to bring the piston in.
  • cwilder89cwilder89 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have the same problem with my 2003 P5 with 130K miles on it. Do you still have the problem? What was the fix? As someone else stated, I am "mechanically challenged". Thanks!
  • melparmelpar Member Posts: 2
    Ok - I have a 2003 Mazda Pro5 - I love this car but about a year ago it developed a "random" misfire - the check engine light would flash - there would be some hesitation in the motor - the it was like the motor would catch - and all would fine. There was no rhyme or reason to this problem and it only happend about once every few weeks. Several mechanics looked at the car and could not find a problem - so we changed plugs - and then the plugs.

I continued to drive the car - and the problem steadly got worse. It was suggested that we replace the O2 Senors. Before I could get it in the shop, my husband blew the motor while driving down the interestate. So we found a replacement motor - with close the same miles - however we did have do a conversion - the replacement motor was from a car with an automatic transmission and mine in manual.

Since putting the replacement motor in the car has been in and out of the shop... for the same radom misfire that happened on the old motor - except now it is much worse. All plugs, coils packs, o2 Sensore and the EGR valve have all been replaced at this point and everyone is ready to give up.

Does anyone out there have any suggestion or thought on what to do???? I hate to have to buy a new car at this point expecially after putting this much into fixing this one but... I have to have a reliable car.... HELP....
  • winston3xwinston3x Member Posts: 16
    Hi,
    I'm guessing you replace the plug wires as well?

Another possible cause is the strainer over the fuel pump. It can get clogged over time and cause misfires. It can be cleaned or just replaced.

here's some good info on the topic. http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?107361-Misfire-problem-diagnosed!&- highlight=fuel+strainer
  • melparmelpar Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for the link and the info - will start looking there.
  • john1987john1987 Member Posts: 1
    I hate hearing stories about this same problem with this car. And its such an easy fix with a little bit of research.

Occasional problems on this vehicle are failure of the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve and the Intake Manifold. Failure of the EGR valve will cause the Check Engine Light to illuminate and may also cause the engine to misfire or run rough at idle. Failure of the Intake Manifold may cause a rattling noise or engine misfires. The cost to replace the EGR valve is estimated at $146.00 for the parts and $30.00 for the labor. Replacement of the intake manifold is covered under a safety recall.
  • arb_16arb_16 Member Posts: 9
    The intake manifold recall is only for a specific VIN range. Our 2003 Protege5 had the problem but was outside the range and was not covered by Mazda (although our local dealer covered the cost of the part but not labor). By the way, our Mazda since purchased new has needed ignition switch, thermostat, valve cover gasket, intake manifold, and recently the A/T transmission. Just hit 100K miles.
    How much did the transmission repair cost?
  • garzat1987garzat1987 Member Posts: 3
    hi i got a 2003 mazda protege 5 and 98,000 miles and when i try and put it in drive nothing happens when i move the gears feels like it isnt catching anything the link is good checked that the car starts up fine just doesnt move if i keep moving it will go in reverse just not drive when i was driving at the stop light it made a noise the shifter moved itself from drive to n and it wouldnt move someone please help me
  • staceys2staceys2 Member Posts: 1
    hey- how much did your dealer say it was going to cost (if they hadn't covered the parts)? mine is saying 1600 PLUS 430 if plugs and coils need to be replaced due to damage from the intake manifold issue. (i have 56k on my car, bought brand new in 03)
  • ddroyddroy Member Posts: 1
    I have a problem with my Mazda Protege 5 2002 2.0L ... i don't know if its a problem with a fuse but my right flasher is always on ! Always but not when i hit a hole on the ground ...

The problem is that i don't know which of these fuse i need to change ! Its the P/WIND ? H/CLN? A7C? S/WRM?????? Help me pleaseee !
    i don't know if its a problem with a fuse but my right flasher is always on
    I'm not sure it would be the fuse. A similar thing happened to my old Corolla when it got bumped by another car; the light switch got affected.

In any case the list of fuses are in the manual on page 8-41, such as:
    Position 14 = HAZARD 15 Amps Hazard warning flashers
    Position 20 = HEAD-R 15 Amps Headlight-right
    Position 21 = HEAD-L 15 Amps Headlight-left
  • mjsully2mjsully2 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    i just got a used Mazda protege 5, and I can't get the rear license plate to come off. I believe the screws are stripped. Do I need to remove the rear hatch cover? If so, how would I go about doing that?

thanks much
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Are you sure they just aren't those special "anti-theft" heads on the screws that need a certain type of driver?
  • bendi1bendi1 Member Posts: 1
    what can u do if that allen head screw is stripped and i dont have a tool to fit it to turn it,

one side of the car was easy to do.. this one is torture.

please any info
  • sadsonsadson Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2012
    Can someone help with an answer or post to a message with suggestions.
    Have a 2000 ES, standard transmission with 140,000. have been fixing various emissions problems over the last year-18 months. Currently have code 401 reoccur- have replace EGR valve, boost sensor, and cleaned off deposits. Check engine light still comes on.
    is this a common problem?

sorry if posted in wrong place.
    There is a terrific site (www.obd-codes.com) that explains the OBD2 codes: P0401 explained
  • age500age500 Member Posts: 2
  • age500age500 Member Posts: 2
    can anyone help me identify my mazda protege 5 problem this morning while i was driving up the highway to work it started making a dragging sound and then it stop and then it started again...... it sounds like onnnnnnn....and i dont know what it can be please can any one help me with the dragging staling sound the car drive good other than that but in addition my radiator is leaking or cracked but not overheating.......
  • dwryterdwryter Member Posts: 87
    edited June 2013
    2002 Protege5, 5-spd, 70K miles, original owner. P5 now has trouble going up hills, especially with a passenger or two, far worse than normal. Performance NOT under load is fine. I thought it might be a plugs/wires/coils problem and was about to change them when a mechanic said if it were the cause, I'd have seen an error code. He suggested the fabric over the fuel pump might need cleaning, as the computer doesn't check fuel pressure. Per his suggestion, I dumped in a bottle of FI cleaner: no help. Three questions: 1) Could a bad plug, wire or coil be the culprit without the computer knowing? Might the wires or coil be less efficient after 11 years, but not so much the computer would notice? 2) Could a clogged filter-sock be the problem without triggering an error? 3) Could something else be causing this problem? I'm confident I can change the plugs/wires/coils, but hesitate to mess with the fuel filter, even with the fine instructions pointed to in an earlier post here (one in which a computer error had been generated). Thanks for any advice!
  • htcchtcc Member Posts: 1
    try checking the intake air snorkle. mine had a small split in one of the accordion folds and the air leak was causing intermittent problems at highway speeds.