Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• ppbw123ppbw123 Member Posts: 4
    I bought 4 wheels for my '05 C230 Sports Sedan snow tires, unfortunately, the front wheels need spacers. Anybody had experience on the front wheel snow tire spacers? Any specific spacers have been used before? Any problem might come up with a wrong spacer? Thanks for your answer.
  • ldiamondldiamond Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 C320 and have had similar problems as your wife's. I have had this car for over a year, and it has happened several times during this time frame. I have a nav. system. The dealer has replaced the CD changer as their fix, but the problem continued with the audio going out every so often. It only comes back after I let the car sit for awhile. The dealer tells me they have to see the problem in person in order to attempt a diagnosis. I have noticed the cd changer doesnt show up on the screen when the problem is occurring. Lately, my speakers sounded like they were all staticcy during any audio source attempt. Again, the problem went away the next time I got in the car.
    Does anybody have any ideas as to how to fix or what to tell the dealer?
  • pheimespheimes Member Posts: 7
    I just filled up my '05 C230 Kompressor, I selected premium, but the pump "switched" me over to regular fuel! Now I have a FULL tank of regular fuel instead of premium. I called my local MB dealership and they told me it won't matter, but I'm afraid it'll cause some damage to the engine. Any advice? Should I drain my tank? Please help! Thanks!
  • lawman1967lawman1967 Member Posts: 314
    Put in a bottle of octane booster if you are really worried, but I'd just drive the car, it's brain is smart enough to adjust for the regular fuel. Your MPG and performance will be a bit lower, but you will likely not even notice.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    It's not a problem. All modern gas engines have knock sensors that detect pinging (detonation) due to low octane. If pinging occurs, the electronic ignition retards the timing, preventing pinging at the expense of somewhat worse performance.

Relax. You didn't do any damage.
  • pheimespheimes Member Posts: 7
    Thank you all! I feel much better. It's a new car (5600 miles) and my first "nice" car, so I'm overly protective I think. ; ) Or, if you ask my wife, totally obsessive compulsive! ; ) Again, thank you for putting my mind at ease.
  • mikephuviemikephuvie Member Posts: 3
    Bought my new 2002 C320 in Nov of 2001. Jan 2, 2006 could not start car, AAA jumped start. Back to Sears to check the replaced battery, battery good. Jan 14 again battery went dead, AAA jumped start on Jan 16, same day took the car to Russnak in Pasadena CA, DRIVER SIDE power seat control bad, draw 1100 mmamp. Total cost of repair $580. February 26, again, battery dead. AAA jumped start on Feb. 28, took the car to Russnak again, this time the advisor said, PASSENGER SIDE control bad (drawing 1300mmamp - normal 35-50 mmamp), picked the car up on Mar 1, $640. Over $1200 in five weeks, car has about 70,000 miles. So far so good, but I am not sure if the problem is fixed. Many problems during the last four years but no expense - under warranty. My first MBZ nine years ago, C280 also lots of problems. Next car may not be a MBZ, will post again if problem not fixed.
    MP
  • bluebloodbenzbluebloodbenz Member Posts: 2
    Just want to let you know that i bought two 2005 c230K in July of last year(05)and noticed that i have been experiencing the same problem (repeats pulling to right). One has 57k and the other has 10k. I have taken it back to dealership and they have aligned one twice and i still experiencing the same issue. The third time that i took it in they said that it was fine, but it's not. The dealer that i bought it from is ready to put me in another but it will cost me. What was your out come?
    I am also about to write a letter to MB Corp. to report the issue.
    Please get back and see if we can work together.
    Update from my earlier post, after spending $1300 and picked up my car on Mar 1, this morning, March 11th, the car again would not start. Battery did not have enough juice to start the car. By tomorrow, the battery should be completely dead and I would have to jump start it again on Monday and tak it back to dealer for the third time. Will update when available.

MP
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    Thank you for your report.

This is why I monitor this board.

Until a few months ago, I wouldn't have thought that I would be caught dead in a Mercedes board, let alone the car, but I learned that they still produce a series of performance sedans with manual transmissions.

Having a manual transmission in a car that won't run is of limited value.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    Another update, AAA jumped start my car this morning, drove to my office, arrived at 7:00 a.m. At 11:00 a.m., ready to take the car back to Rusnak, car would not start, second jump start of the day, drove the car to Rusnak, only five miles away, but now the transmission would not shift. Now diagnosed as the overhead unit (by the sunroof) is drawing too much current. At 4:00 p.m., advisor called to say that the service mgr. spoke directly to MBZ and that the cost of the overhead cotrol module will be free???????? My cost will be the labor of about $150, which will bring to date to about $1450 plus car rental. Why free part? I have no idea. Something like because of the way I complained that I will never buy another MBZ again??? Will pick up the car tomorrow. Still do not know if this will solve the problem. Will update if problem persists.

MP
  • badbenz1badbenz1 Member Posts: 2
    I am now filing lemon law papers. I had the best alignment guy in town check my car comparing the printouts from Mercedes alignment. They were way off. He said Mercedes were not even using right specs. I also took it to a body shop that has high dollar equipemnt do check frames and alignment. He FOUND that my left fron wheel was set back a lot further than the right which would cause it to never drive right. Can you believe Mercedes never found this, or they never told me if they did. He took picutes using a tape measure and his fingers just to show how off it is. As you can imagine I am very upset. The car is not safe to drive and I have told Mercedes that but they say it is ok. I pray nothing happens while I waiting for this thing to play out.
  • design786design786 Member Posts: 14
    Hi:

On my 1998 C280, the flashers, turn signals, defroster, etc have all become non-operational. It seems like I might need to replace the relay that controls these functions. Anybody has any idea where this relay is located?

Thanks
  • pig_incpig_inc Member Posts: 1
    New to Mercedes - just bought a 99 c230 at an auction. The car is driving me nuts. I drive the vehicle and turn it off. When I return and start it, the following don't work (wipers, radio, turn signals, moonroof). It seems they are all tied together and there is not really rhyme nor reason as to when they all work or don't work. It seem like it is tied to the keyless entry somehow. Sometimes I'll have the problem and I'll press the unlock button and wait a minute and everything will click back one. Other times this doesn't work. anyone out there have a similar problem or know what is going on?
  • momsz71momsz71 Member Posts: 4
    does anyone know of a place where I could get a something to replace the 6 cassette holder on my dash with maybe a storage pocket or something ?
  • vee56vee56 Member Posts: 2
    Our C320wgn. has failed to start five times within 2wks. I've called MBZ road service on each occassion. The last call the Rd.service guy disconnected the power seats relay. Saying they draw down power from the battery. The car sat for 2days and wouldn't start. Having read Mike's complaint (Mar/06 messages)the dealer seems to be guessing at what :mad: the cause could be,while charging $1400 plus dollars. All this is telling me...if I have the same problem after the car comes back from the dealer(MBZ of Oakland Ca.) We will be seeing a LEXUS in our future. I enjoy the performance and ride quality of the C320, but I shouldn't have these kinds of problem for the $$$$$ I paid for the car. I've already had to replace an alternator.
  • bluebloodbenzbluebloodbenz Member Posts: 2
    Wow badbenz1, that's crazy man, i'm sure the dealership made it seem that it was all in your mind at first. Like they did me.
    I'm doing the same with the lemon law. Paper has already been sent. I have also talked to a few others with C230, at the same dealership and they have had the sam problem but never really thought about it.
    I have also taken my cars to other dealerships, just to make sure it wasn't the equipment and sure enough same problem. Very upset with MB and the dealership. They made it seem like this wasn't a problem and that it was the first time they heard about this issue. Well, it's up to MB now and how they are going to handle this. :lemon:

Please keep me posted as i will you.
  • billp8billp8 Member Posts: 56
    I noticed a puddle under the rear axle of my 2000 C230 yesterday. Substance is very light in color, with a very faint smell, and consistency of light cooking oil. I remember reading a while back that some w202s have final drive seals that sweat and sometimes leak. I am guessing this is differential oil?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    sounds like (gulp) brake fluid...diff oil is usually pretty pungent...usually....does it make your skin wrinkley?
    ...but I can do another check tonight. Needless to say, haven't driven the car...I'll be taking it in. Dealer is less than 2 miles away--but perhaps I should call MB roadside assistance?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well you could check your brake fluid reservoir first.
  • c320makesmemadc320makesmemad Member Posts: 1
    Vee56... If you determine the cause of the electrical draw, please let me know. Mine is at the MB dealership right now for the same exact problem. :sick: It's going to be sold as soon as it's repaired.
    Just spoke with my service advisor--the problem was leaking rear differential seals. Fortunately, I got the extended warranty. Thanks again!
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national newspaper is looking to interview consumers who have had to replace a car key, which ended up costing over $200 or $300. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Monday, April 2, 2006 containing your daytime contact information, the cost to replace your key along with the make and model your vehicle.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • ldiamondldiamond Member Posts: 2
    I have just come from the dealer and during another inspection of my audio system, they blew out 2 amplifiers and ended up replacing the head unit. They say this will fix my previous audio cutting out at random times problem.
  • tinsbytinsby Member Posts: 1
    Hello all,

Has anyone experienced a vibration in a new C280 sedan starting about 42-45mph?

Apparently MB knows about this because they recommend changing a shim under the rear end housing on the end that connects to the drive line. I am told by the dealer the car comes with a 4mm shim, but MB recommends changing it to a 2mm shim. In my case changing this shim to the smaller one only made the vibration worse.

I can sit on the passenger side with someone else driving and I can tell them when the car reaches 45mph, its that obvious! Below 45 mph the car is wonderfully smooth around 50mph you don't feel it as much, but it's there; it's just the frequency of the vibration or resonance is higher.

Needless to say I am disappointed with this in a brand new car, let alone a Benz. The dealer has ordered a new driveshaft for me in an effort to fix the problem, that has yet to arrive and be installed, so I don't know the outcome.

Does anyone know if there was a TSB or a recall for this? If so what is the number of the TSB?

The dealer says they have had it on other models too not just the C280. But if MB knows of it why do they keep building them so they vibrate? Oddly enough I drove another C280 with the same tires on it and lo and behold that one had the SAME vibration! This is clearly not acceptable.

Thanks to all who reply, any help will be most appreciated.

Tinsby
  • jetbrokerjetbroker Member Posts: 2
    I am now convinced that I have a wiring problem somewhere in my O2 Sensor System, but I would like to get some input from anyone who may have had the same problems as me.

Now I have replaced both O2 Sensors twice now (the first two were under warranty.) I replaced my forward (upstream of the CAT) late last Summer. Then my check-engine light came on again indicating that the Rear (downstream of the CAT) was bad. i bought this right before Christmas but when I saw how it was buried, I had it installed at my next service, which was last week. Unfortunately my Check Engine Light is back on again and this time the Fault Code reads that it is a High Voltage issue with the Rear O2 Sensor. What the heck is going on? Has anyone been through these problems like me? Have you managed to fix them? If I ignore the light and O2 fault code, will I be damaging my Engine or Fuel Consumption? Any input from anybody will be extremely appreiciated.

VBR,

Jeremy
  • jetbrokerjetbroker Member Posts: 2
    Everytime I pull away from an engine shutdown and restart, unless I manually downshift from Drive to Two and then back to Drive, after the transmission has shifted up, I have to rev the engine upto approx 3,600RPM before the Transmission up-shifts. Now I have been told that my shifting is sensed by Vacuum and therefore I wonder if I have a sense line hose adrift or leaking (my car is a German made, 1996 model that came into the USA through Houston)? What are your thoughts on this matter, please anybody?

VBR,

Jeremy
  • vee56vee56 Member Posts: 2
    Well! had the C320 serviced at MBZ of Oakland. They called to let me know the veh. was ready and they replaced the front seat "relays". I arrive at the dealership to p/u the car. The service mgr. recieved a call saying the car won't start and they are charging the battery. The Service Mgr. then offers to give me a rental car. They called me the next day and said they had located the problem. The battery was fried and they had to replace it, :( (3rd time)and now a week later I'm sitting here at home waiting for MBZ road service to come jump the car. Back to the dealer I go...will keep you posted :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • renyreny Member Posts: 4
    I bought my car in June 2005 and hadd no problems with it then in January 2006 I noticed alarm went of but it was going of quietly like the battery was low so MBZ road side assistant came and gave me a jump start and the next day it happened again so I went to MBZ dealer and bought a new battery and a few days later it happened again. I took to the dealer and thay say it was the wiring harness and kept my car there for 2 weeks and I still have the same problem. Is there anyone who has or had the same problem who can please help me out. :cry:
  • benz747benz747 Member Posts: 91
    Hello,

I am getting Tape Stuck message and not able to eject tape from the unit. Any idea how to resolve this issue?

thanks
  • savvyladysavvylady Member Posts: 1
    I am considering purchasing a 2003 C-240, I am concerned about extreme maintenance costs and if this a wise purchase
    at all. I had read several horror stories in relation to this vehicle, and I am afraid I may be taking on problems a previous owner may have had. What are some of the most common complaints with this model? Would I be better off purchasing a Toyota or Honda and save myself the headache?

Ms.Confused
  • schulhofschulhof Member Posts: 71
    Confused,
    You are almost certainly better off purchasing a Toyota or Honda. The only catch being is that then you have to drive around in a Honda or Toyota which is not as enjoyable as a Mercedes Benz! You need to sort out your priorities and tolerance for less than Toyota reliability.

I recently purchased a new '06 C230. I have driven it 800 miles in about 2 months with no issues. It is a second car - I drive my Miata daily. I could afford the C230 but I certainly can't afford to drive it :blush:

FWIW, 2003 seems to be right in the middle of the MBZ C Class quality lapse. According to much forum talk 2001-2004 were the "pit" and 2005+ may prove to be the turning point and return to quality.

Time will tell.

-Eric
  • tony24tony24 Member Posts: 15
    I hope that you don't buy the C240. I have had nothing but trouble since my purchase of my C240 in 2003. I know someone would probably reply to this message and say they don't have any problems with his or her car.
    It is not worth the problems that you will have. It is just not worth it.

Take care
  • kwhytekwhyte Member Posts: 4
    I'm experiencing the same thing. We had the upstream sensor replaced in March and only yesterday I had another Engine light. Seems as if it's the same thing. I can feel a fluctuation in the revs as the engine compensates. Ity cost me 35o Euros the last time for 5 mintes work. Any idea if I can do it myself?
    We're in the process f buying a new car but certainly not a Mercedes again. It's been the most expensive car to run. It has had more costs in the garage in 5 months that we have used in petrol. A taxi to work would be cheaper
  • jamie7jamie7 Member Posts: 3
    RE STEERING NOISE,THIS IS GOT TO BE POWER STEERING FLUID IS LOW IT DOES NOT HAVE TO LEEK IT JUST WEARS AWAY CHECK LEVEL AND TOP UP HAPPY DAYS
    MY C240 HAS NEARLY DONE 50K I DONT DRIVE IT HARD BUT NOW I NOTICE THERE IS PLAY IN THE STEERING AND SUSPENSION FEELS LOOSE OVER BUMPY ROADS ANY THOUGHTS? PLEASE HELP
  • cneffcneff Member Posts: 65
    I had the same issue with my '04 C320 4matic wagon

Few things to check...

> Tire pressure and old tires - soft tires can make the car sloppy
    > Bad Alignmemt...can cause the car to pull left or right, like it is floating and dart suddenly side to side over bumps.
    > Bad Anti-sway bar.. car can feel loose

I did the whole routine... new tires, 4 wheel alignment and they found a bad anti-sway bar (under warranty)

Now the car drives true

Good luck
    nice one, already done tires but anti-sway bar sounds possible car is under warranty as well ill book it in many thanks
  • darrylmdarrylm Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem. I am thinking of just buying a new player... it's frustrating. :cry:
  • tornadanotornadano Member Posts: 2
    I am new to the forum, so please excuse me if this has been covered before...

We are having problems with a 1995 c220...The power windows will not operate...We figure it is a wiring problem, since the fuses in the trunk were blown out not once but twice...Can anyone help me track this problem, or give me a direction on where to start looking...

Thanks,
    Dan B.
  • gusk7gusk7 Member Posts: 1
    has anyone had a problem where the driver side seat does not go all the way back. seems to stop about 1 inch from the end :shades:
  • lipplipp Member Posts: 58
    Had a 2005 C240 with terrible vibration problems. I was all over this message board from Jan thru April of 2005. Research my old messages and you will learn a lot. Bottom line, I filed for arbitration with the state of Connecticut Lemon Law and before we went to hearing MBUSA settled with a 100% refund. I moved to a BMW.

Good Luck
  • livemylifeelivemylifee Member Posts: 1
    hi i am new to this forum
    ive been having LOTS of problems with my 2003 C240
    omg u will never believe how many times i have go to a garage and go back to the mercedes workshop
    and the money ive spend on this almost allow me to buy a new car!!!....
    engine lights
    weird sound when breaking....etc

i dont know if anyone could help me on this one
    this is the second time i am having this problem
    the car is having this tatatata sound when accelerating
    have anyone had the same problem???

plz help!!!
  • tmuller2tmuller2 Member Posts: 2
    I have the same vehicle- '01 c320. 3-4 times over several months, I would get in my to go to work and the battery would be dead. I took cabs to work, and had road side come to my house and swap out the battery. First time, thought nothing of it, 2nd time thought bad luck. The road side guy started to learn the drill. Knew my address by heart, knew where I left the keys, etc. He finally said this is pointless there must be a defect in the electrical system, I will have it towed in, doesn't make any sense to keep on replacing the battery. In the shop three weeks, they never figured out where the problem was, but its electrical system - with all the high tech modules that talk to each other - is a total failure. Its a design issue. They didn't tell me that, but the WSJ and other newspapers have reported all the trouble and how that technology was pulled for the new models - I think 05 and later. Since the technology was abandoned for future models, I believe that is reason MB did not work to redesign the current tech, thus finding a new solution. I have had 20+ bulbs replaced in 5 years. I may remember replacing one bulb before on a previous vehicle I owned (tahoe, explorer) Service's answer - we make a great car but a cheap bulb. The bulbs are fine, its the whole electric system that is the source, but they act like its just the bulb and its unusual, but it does happen. Many owners of 2001 C Class have had similar issues. It was cheaper for them to just replace the bulbs over and over, than to engineer a true solution. I am pretty sure that road side tech knew the first time my battery was dead, what the problem really was. Certaintly the 2nd and 3rd time he knew exactly what the issue was. But he played along, replacing batteries with hopes the battery wouldn't go out again. I am pissed that the numerous problems with the electrical system and suspension, I was never told a straight answer. We pay enough money so that when I come in the first time with a problem I expect the service manager to say "I know whats causing your problem, we get to the source" If I knew I was going to have spend all this money on rentals, taxis, post warrany repairs, I should have just have gone ahead and bought the S.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    We had rear bulbs burning out in my wife's 2002 C240. After a year or two of that, they replaced part of the wiring harness in response to a TSB from Mercedes. No problems since then.

Have you asked your service advisor if there is a TSB about the bulbs burning out?
  • cc46cc46 Member Posts: 1
    my wife just purchased a used 03 c240 with 31,000 mi on it. after the car warms up and we come to a stop such as at a traffic light, it sounds as if a lifter is getting hung up or something, its a tick tick tick tick kinda noise.it seems to only happen at idle and i can't notice it when iam accelerating. is this normal? i listened to it also outside the car with the hood up its noticable there to, it seems to becoming from drivers side of the motor. does anyone have any input. should i book a service appointment while i have 8 mo's left on warranty.
  • rowlandjrowlandj Member Posts: 254
    There is a purge valve on the evaporative canister system and I am pretty positive that is the source of this noise. This is a know issue and the service department should either replace the valve or change the mount to eliminate that problem.

You will have to bring it in for this and I am surprised that the previous owner did not get the fix.

JR
  • tizertizer Member Posts: 23
    It is probably a fuse. I know where the cars three fuse boxes are but does anyone know which specific fuse this is? Which fuse box, which color, "third from the top etc" Thanks for any help, I use the outlet for a radar detector on trips up the NY Thruway!
This discussion has been closed.