Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Infiniti FX45 Infiniti FX35

Comments

• Options
    carprepcarprep Member Posts: 8
    I don't see any contradiction in Skip's recent posts "RX330 handles like a forklift" vs. "The coolest things about my RX 330 are the air suspension and the power liftgate. Actually I probably like the way it drives at freeway speeds the best."

I drive cars for a living. Personally, I'd take the forklift over the RX330 any day! There's a BIG difference between "handling" and "driving at freeway speeds." But if you understood that Jeff, you would not be caught dead in the "rolling coffin" RX330, unless you're a soccer mom or over 65. I'm sure you fit into at least one of those categories.

By the way, why are you still posting on this board Jeff? Did you pick up a copy of the latest Motor Trend FX35/ RX330/ MLB350 comparison? Guess which one was declared the winner? Goshes! Experiencing buyer's remorse now Jeff? Why don't you go back and join Willard and the soccer moms on the RX330 board.
  • Options
    kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    FX may win on performance, but that's where it ends. No manufacturer beats the RX330 in sophistication and class. If you want a fast car, with soso looks and a bunch of useless toys, get an FX. If you want a slower car with lots of class, and the Lexus touch get an RX330. The saying, "The one who dies with the most toys", isn't true with automobiles.
  • Options
    skip30skip30 Member Posts: 33
    The RX handles great on the frwy. The air suspension does help with general feel. The cornering limits are very low. The car just does not like to turn. The front tires feel like they are doing all of the work. This is when being pushed fairly hard thru the twisties. I drove a non air car and I still think the air suspension is way better. It is a very nice car but it is more of a cruiser. Nothing wrong with that. since most of the time in Los Angeles you are going nowhere, stuck in traffic. Skip
  • Options
    jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    Motor Trend is and has been the worst rag in the auto mag business for decades.

As the poster mentioned above, the FX series has good handling properties, whether or not the suspension is too hard for some. But that's where its claim to fame ends for many that test drive it.

People vote with their dollars - and everyday I see the FXs piling up at a large Infiniti dealership in the area and yet directly across the street the Lexus dealer struggles to keep one RX330 on the lot as a demo unit.

Speaking of cross-posts, your post #382 months ago in the RX330 board (referring to me):

"...guess you're just a little sensitive having to drive around in your wife's ubiquitous car. And talk about depreciation, I hope your're in a short term lease, because you're not going to be able to give that thing away otherwise."

Sold the "wife's ubiquitous car", a 2001 RX300 FWD, just this week for 73% of it's new price 3 years ago. Our new RX330 has exceeded our expectations in every way. As always, YMMV.

Since you were so wrong about the RX's resale value, I trust your current opinions are just as worthy.

Ya pays ya money and makes your choice. Beyond that, your hostility is a sure sign of pure locker room bravado but at least its humorous - keep up the good work.
  • Options
    psb1013psb1013 Member Posts: 92
    The FX not only crushes the RX in terms of performance but is a much more stylish car and the build quality is right up there with the Lexus. I had a 2000 RX300 which had a myriad of problems like failing tansmission, bad alternator, electrical problems, blown tires...all within the first year! Infiniti's quality has improved immensely and I would say it rates right up there now w/Lexus, BMW, Mercedes. (Is it any wonder Infiniti is now ranked No. 1 in customer satisfaction!) Those who dismiss the FX like kdshapiro really has no idea of what he's talking about since he has never really owned a FX ("useless toys?"---last I checked, the RX also has same "useless toys" as the FX like rear-view camera, laser cruise control, DVD player, etc.) If you want to be pampered like a 50-year old soccer mom, fine, get a RX. Just leave the FX for us real drivers.
  • Options
    "kdshapiro really has no idea of what he's talking about since he has never really owned a FX ("useless toys?"

Laser guided cruise control. Nope! Roads here are way too crowded to even put on cruise control, much less laser guided. Remote starting. Never used it wouldn't need it. I know exactly what I am talking about. More electronics to break as time goes on. You may be one of the few RX owners that had problems with their vehicles. Generally they are absolutely bullet-proof I have first hand experience multiple times with them. You need the FXs rear view camera, cause you can't see out of the back. You "real" drivers can have your FX and I hope you're getting great mileage with these sky-rocketing gas prices. I'm sure the RX330 doesn't get the great mileage the FX does. :) Now back to our topic.
  • Options
    ichiban470ichiban470 Member Posts: 45
    RX330 fans : please read previous post and you will understand why I own a FX45 over a RX330 . It is the same reasons why maybe one my own a Porsche Carrera over a Lexus SC430. And as to "jeffmust2" statement about the # of FX's are on the lot over the RX330 . I own a Lexus LX470 and when I took my SUV in for service the dealer gave me a LOANER CAR . The loaner car was a RX330 ( no lic. plates, brand spanking NEW ). I also saw about 5 to 6 other RX330's in the loaner car lot ! Kinda says something , huh ? When I took my FX45 in for service , I also got a loaner car .
    It was a G35 sedan with dealer plates on it .
    I did not see any FX35,FX45, Q45, M45, or G35 coupes for loaner cars .

I drove the RX330 for a day. I did like the auto. rear hatch opening and wood trim steering wheel but I did not like the lack of power and poor handling . In closing , these are two different SUV's and both cater to a different crowd . I would never own a RX330 but if you do , I'm glad for you . You wanted something else in your vehicle then I did but please stop comparing "apples and oranges" and who's better the whom !
  • Options
    lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    "The loaner car was a RX330 ( no lic. plates, brand spanking NEW ). I also saw about 5 to 6 other RX330's in the loaner car lot ! Kinda says something, huh?"

Actually, it says nothing. Having RX 330s in a loaner fleet says nothing about how well the car is selling. Lexus corporate works with dealers to place RXs in loaner fleets. The cars are delivered from Lexus for use as loaners only. The Lexus loaners are NOT cars that go unsold, which is what you are implying.

Jeffmust2 was saying that most Lexus dealers have few, if any, RX 330s on their lots. Infiniti dealers have tons of FXs sitting there. I'm not saying this is good or bad for either Lexus or Infiniti, but at least where I live that is a fact.
  • Options
    I agree it seems most of the posts here see more FX's on the dealers lots then RX330's. But I can only go on my experience when buying my LX470 . When I went to my local dealerships in the SF Bay Area, all told me that they couldn't keep this SUV in stock and I would have to wait 6 to 7 weeks after ordering it from them . I did a little research of my own and come to find out some of these dealers had another lot located in a different location and would only keep one or two of these SUV's on the main lot making it seem they were in high demand with few in stock . I am not implying this is done everywhere but it is another sales technique to inflate the price and possibly make you want the vehicle more .
    There are other factors also , as you well know, from advertising to what does the consumer want from the vehicle will contribute to sales differences . Some are valet and some are mute . As to some pointing to the fact that the RX330 is out selling the FX35/45 must make it a better vehicle is a misstatement of the facts . If this were the case then the Ford Taurus would be considered better then the RX330 , and you know that is completely wrong !

I do question the fact that Lexus uses there RX330 ( which as posted is a very popular SUV and are having a hard time keeping them in stock ) and not the IS300 or LS300 as loaner cars since the demand is far less right now for those vehicles . You may feel that it says nothing but I respectfully disagree for all things mentioned above .....
  • Options
    Why are you Lexus/RX fans here on the FX boards? Are you that bored with your vehicles to come over here and start criticizing our cars (or you just plain jeolous)? I could care less about how many RX's have been sold....blah,blah,blah. The fact is, there's nothing like the FX on the road today. There's no vehicle that come combine the power, handling, styling, and utility for its price like the FX. If you want just another vanilla SUV and want to be pampered like an 'ol lady, please buy a Lexus.
  • Options
    BTW, contrary to what kdshapiro says, there's no "bullet-proof" brand anymore. Besides my previous RX300, I also had a BMW X5 4.4i which also had numerous problems such as electrical malfunction, transmission problems, and was recalled 3 different times! I also have many friends and relatives with vehicles from Mercedes, Lexus, Audi, Honda, and Acura with various problems at one time or another. (My dad's 2002 ML 500 died 1 week after taking delivery!). Cars today are built with parts from all over the world--there's much more parity regarding build quality now among brands than 10 or 20 years ago. And BTW, if any of you didn't know, Infiniti recently was ranked No. 1 in customer satisfaction by J.D. Powers.
  • Options
    Customer satisfaction has little to do with Initial Quality. Infiniti is nowhere near the top in the Initial Quality Survey. BTW according to CR the Lexus RX330 stops in a shorter time than the FX and has the same emergency handling characteristics, which they rated as good. They have the FX higher marks for routine handling. In this era of $2.50/gal gas prices the RX must feel better on the wallet.
  • Options
    marinelomarinelo Member Posts: 7
    A man of your status whom I presume drives an RX330 is worried about (this era of $2.50/gal gas prices)Come on buddy you must be just bored.I think you should visit the local VW dealership and pickup a Golf TDI with no useless toys in it of course....Hummmm , is there a board for VW Golf's??
  • Options
    kdshapiro...obviously, this guy loves the RX so much, he's just blurting out "facts." Car and Driver tested the FX45 at 0-60 mph at 6.3 sec, braking from 70-0 mph at 160ft (best ever for a SUV) and lateral accel. at .87g (better than most sports cars). Tell me, where the RX can even come close to these numbers. So, you say customer satisfaction is not relevant? So you must drive a Yugo, eh?
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Hummmm , is there a board for VW Golf's??

Several, as a matter of fact! Here's one (of many): VW Golf

tidester, host
  • Options
    ivyfchuivyfchu Member Posts: 21
    I have my FX35 since April. Not crazy about the fuel economy but am thrilled with the ride. The only problem I have is that the support arms of the trunk make a squeaky noise when I open/close the trunk. I have never driven a RX330 before but I tested a RX 300 and a X5 3.0 before buying the FX35. My personal opinion is that I don't like how the RX300 drives and I will pick the X5 3.0 over the RX300 despite that the X5 is almost $10k more expensive. On the other hand, I would pick the FX35 over the X5 given a number of different factors (value, power, handling, and look). I personally prefer to have a car that is less popular so that I don't see on the street every intersection. (RX and X5 will fit that bill) I am not saying that FX is necessarily better but that is just my opinion.
  • Options
    arhfx45arhfx45 Member Posts: 27
    You gotta love that circa 1998 tailight treatment on the '03 RX330. They either are really, really late getting with the 90's fashions, or really, really early with a "Retro 1998" statement. The RX is too conservatively styled to pull off anything radical without just looking goofy IMO. Other than the styling snafu the RX330 looks destined for sales success.
  • Options
    skip30skip30 Member Posts: 33
    There is no such thing as a 03 RX 330. They are all 04s. Skip
  • Options
    Got carried away with the 3's, sorry, yes I was speaking of the '04 RX 330.
  • Options
    shenkarshenkar Member Posts: 159
    Who is this kdshapiro...and why is he lurking here on the fx boards, tooting his rx330 horn?? Is this the "rx vs fx" board? Nah...no such thing. Does he really think he's going to convert any fx owners to the rx???

This guy is the poster-child for the Lack of Propriety Society!!
  • Options
    "Who is this kdshapiro...and why is he lurking here on the fx boards, tooting his rx330 horn??"

LOL!!! Did you even read my profile? I was pointing out interesting reading in Consumers Reports luxury crossover comparison. You can read the results online if you have a subscription.

In addition, I'm not sure why anybody shouldn't be concerned about rising gas prices. The news is reporting that SxV sales are way down. May have something to do with skyrocketing gas prices. Even people with big $$$ are concerned with gas prices. Why shouldn't we be?
  • Options
    juice9911juice9911 Member Posts: 4
    I have an idea....why don't we ignore him....he obviously doesn't know what he is talking about since he doesn't own an FX35 or 45.....maybe he will go away!! You are giving him exactly what he wants you know....attention (must be insecure)!
  • Options
    "...attention (must be insecure)"

Interesting the responses one gets when an opinion is voiced. You are more than welcome to come into the BMW forum, voice an opinion without somebody claiming you have buyers remorse or are insecure. Anyway I don't need to troll as I've been active in Edmunds boards for about 4 years. But as you suggest you are free to ignore my posts, I won't take any offense at it.

BTW I'm sure calling one insecure is against Town Hall rules of conduct.
  • Options
    Thank goodness you aren't going to take offense....I was VERY worried you would feel hurt if we ignored you....yeah right! We won't feel a bit neglected if you stay on the BMW board!

I'm going to go enjoy a ride in my "gas guzzling" beautiful, Liquid Copper FX now.....
  • Options
    juice991 - what does it cost to fill up at $2.00/gallon? At those rates at 15,000 miles a year at 15mpg gas could easily cost $250-$300 mo. Seems like $4,000 year in gas to get someplace 1 sec faster to 60 is not an insignificant amount.
  • Options
    If you notice there are other posters on this board who have the FX35 that have made comments regarding gas mileage. I'm glad to hear your wallet is so insulated from any fluctations in the economy. I got worried you might have to sell your house to pay for your gas.

High gas prices has a detrimental effect on us all. Pity the poor person who can only afford a clunker that gets the same mileage as the FX with none of the thrill.
  • Options
    corkfishcorkfish Member Posts: 537
    Also, I see lots of people driving around in cars that they really can't afford. I have to laugh when I'm in my 1993 Sentra and I know someone who doesn't have any where near the net worth I do driving around in a $40,000 or $50,000 car. It's true what they say, you can't judge a book by it's cover and there loads of people out there trying to keep up with Joneses even though it's busting them LOL.
  • Options
    Maybe Corkfish and Kdshapiro should take their opinions and meet in the BMW board! Agreed?
  • Options
    Is this a FX35/FX45 Board ??? This is supposed to be a board where FX OWNERS post positive and negative comments about their vehicle to help those who might want to buy one , right ??? Is there anyway to keep certain people off this board or drop them completely from Edmunds ???

Life is to short to make comments that don't do anybody any good !
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Let's stick to the topic!

tidester, host
  • Options
    "s this a FX35/FX45 Board ??? This is supposed to be a board where FX OWNERS post positive and negative comments about their vehicle to help those who might want to buy one , right ??? Is there anyway to keep certain people off this board or drop them completely from Edmunds ???"

We can stay on topic, but I was discussing FX gas mileage, which I thought is topical due to the current gas prices. People seem to have an opinion if you can afford an FX gas prices shouldn't matter much. Well that's one side of it.

ichban470 - I thought this board belonged to Edmunds where people are free to post topical opinions? Even if you personally disagree with what is being said/posted.
  • Options
    pf01pf01 Member Posts: 35
    Do you really think gas price will be a problem in the long term, now that Iraq is under the firm grip of the U.S.? Even the truck drivers are not too worried this time around-no demonstrations whatsoever.

The same thing can be said regarding the handling of FX35 and RX330. You have to put it in the grand scale of things. You cannot base you argument on one review article, such as the one in Consumer Reports. You have to look at several reviews from different sources, then you pool the results together. For example: in the Consumer Review article, in terms of handling, FX35 = RX330. But in the Motor Trend article, FX35 > RX330. If you add them up, you will see the overall result-FX35 is the better-handling car.
  • Options
    kdshapiro, this isn't in reference to you personally, it is only an observation. It is ironic that you are an RX330 fan though, LOL. You do at the least address the FX in your posts.

The more things change the more they stay the same. When posting on the Edmunds boards after buying an ML430 in 1999, [in the ML forums], I remember a similar situation. There was a poster, an RX300 fan, that posted daily on the M-Class boards. He never offered any related info, just espoused the wonders of the miraculous RX & it's vast superiority over the M Class, the Range Rover, the Space Shuttle, etc. Eventually it became funny rather than simply obnoxious.
  • Options
    Free to post topical opinions , Yes , and I can agree to disagree, but people ending their posts with " near my net worth " , "seems like $4000.00 a year " , etc...

You know as well as I do these are not needed or respectful .

If you want me to post on the subject of gas mileage, I would if it really concerned me or if I can help someone else about the subject .

I find it does not concern me , not that I like the price of gas or $$$ is coming out of my ears , it is only because I knew when I bought my FX45 with a V8 , gas mileage was not going to be good . I looked for performance and handling first and as long as I didn't get a gas guzzler tax the issue would not have come up .

For those concerned about the mileage on a FX35/45 , check the posts , car magazines, or go to the dealers and look on the window of the vehicles , all should give you a general idea what you will get per/gallon . If you are really into gas mileage you may want to keep with the smaller cars ( Metro, Corrolla, Civic, etc.)
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Any registered member is welcome to post anywhere on Town Hall, within the constraints of the Member Agreement that we all agreed to when we signed on. If you don't like a member's post, use your down arrow and go to the next one.

As far as gas prices and expensive cars, Hummer got dinged by JD Power survey participants because there was no EPA rating on the sticker and people were surprised (disappointed?) with their mpg. And there are currently incentives on the H2, but probably more for end of year blow out reasons than because gas prices are hurting sales.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    slummyjslummyj Member Posts: 57
    I wonder how many other FX owners have had an experience like this. Yesterday I was at the gas station. Another customer came up to me and said, "I love your car, it is the best looking vehicle on the road today!" He told me how he is a designer and he has not seen a car that is so interesting. He was wowed by the interior. He felt that the brick leather, its color and texture were absolutely fabulous. He loved how the brick and black worked together. Now if he could just convince his wife to let him trade in his new suv for one of these! This is not the first time this has happened. The FX is a real conversation piece!
  • Options
    Yesterday had the a guy in his Toyota Forerunner wave at me to roll down my window at a stop light .
    Said , " I really want one ! " & " Great looking Crossover ! "

Day before had a guy in the parking lot , walk over from his Merc. E-Class and ask me how I liked it and if he could look inside . Gave him the full tour and his last comment was ," Heard it was a Porsche beater and now I can see why ! " I assume he was referring to the Cayenne S and not the Turbo .

Slummyj : Get used to it ! I've lost count on
                        how many people want to talk to me about my FX !
  • Options
    I turn & stare every time one goes by, or when I pass by mine on the way through the garage each night. My FX gets more attention than my '03 Z06. I usually have very color specific preferences on any vehicle, the FX seems to be the exception. I like it equally in every color, except red. I even like it OK in red which is unheard of for me. I didn't want the hassle of keeping a black one clean. I tossed back & forth; Berrylium, Copper, Graphite, Gold, Silver, etc., I finally narrowed it down to Copper & Berrylium. I went with Berrylium for three reasons...(1) it seems so suited to the FX's shape,(2) a Berrylium FX45 with every option was available for delivery in 2 days, & (3) see #2 LOL...
  • Options
    jpiatchekjpiatchek Member Posts: 177
    You are right. The FX gets tons of stares and comments and my black FX is hard to keep clean! Copper and Berrylium were my two choices, too. However, my wife nixed the Copper(she wanted red) and I have yet to see a Berrylium up close. I choose the black for the same reason you chose Berrylium-I could get it NOW!
  • Options
    ivyfchuivyfchu Member Posts: 21
    About a month ago I parked my FX35 in front of a restaurant and the restaurant owner came out and asked a lot of info about the car as he wanted to get one!
  • Options
    bpraxisbpraxis Member Posts: 292
    Hello everyone and I am in the market for a new 2004 FX35. I have read that Infiniti is softening the suspension for 2004 and will offer more colors for the base version. It would be great to get the brick interior but I am concerned about the rough ride with the sport package? Do you have any recomendations?

As to the prior comments about gas milage, gas was approximately $2.00 in 1980. Can anyone think of any product that is the same price that it was in 1980 like a car or home? Adjusted for inflation gas is very inexpensive relative to its historical price. And if we eliminate the massive regulation on the oil companies and the massive federal tax on a gallon of gas the actual price would be approximately 80 cents.
  • Options
    I suggest test driving both the non-sport and sport versions to see which ride suits you best.
  • Options
    You;ve probably read this on other posts, but make sure the sport suspension has no more than 33 lbs of air in the tires. Also, it seems like the ride softens a little after a couple thousand miles. I drove both and thought the non-sport suspension on the premium package was too soft for my tastes. My wife(it's her car) has had absolutely no complaints about the suspension. We have been used to driving sport sedans for years, though. I'm sure your dealer will let you drive tham all.
  • Options
    bpraxisbpraxis Member Posts: 292
  • Options
    clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    This happened a while ago but I had a lady at the gas station come over and check out my FX. It happens so much I just kinda smiled and nodded and went about my business, She asked what it was I said an Infiniti, She says I usually buy lexus but I like this alot. I then glance down the pumps and she is driving a brand new RX330. Nothin could wipe that silly grin off my face after I saw that. This is not the car to get if you are an introvert it attracts way too much attention :)
  • Options
    In the last two days a similar thing has happened 3 times, plus numerous points and gawks on the highway. A lot of people like the looks, but have no clue to the best of all-the handling. The other day a doctors wife came running up the the car at the golf club and said all excited " Oh, when did you get one of these; I want one!" Happens all the time. Guess we'll have to suck it up and live with all the attention!
  • Options
    slummyjslummyj Member Posts: 57
    We just drove to Southwest Wisconsin from Minneapolis for the Labor Day Weekend. There were lots of stares and head turning. I didn't see another FX or another Infiniti for that matter either coming or going. Of course, with no dealers outside of the metropolitan areas here, that is understandable. It was rare to see anything except GM, Ford and Chrysler.
  • Options
    djasonwdjasonw Member Posts: 624
    WOW... I had to catch up on all the interesting chatter. As a FORMER RX owner (1999) I must say I don't know what all the fuss is about. Firstly, I'd never own one again. It never gave me any trouble BUT at 57,000 miles (when I turned it in) it was VERY loose indeed. Rattles and squeeks galore. Perhaps I should give it more credit as I think that was the first year for the RX (or was it 1998?). Now when the FX was introduced I really got interested. I LOVE the front end but the rear end does NOT do it for me. I also love the interior but I just can't get past the rear styling. I just recently sold an '02 Allroad that I loved but got spooked when it needed rotors and front pads after 9800 miles!!!! That in conjunction with potential turbo problems led me to unloading it. I sold it for 35k and bought it for 40k (kept it for a year). I got lucky. NOW.. I just drive my '02 Liberty which is SOLID as a rock after 23,000 hard miles (including wheeling). It ain't no race car, but I still haven't decided what to buy as a second car. I will wait and see how the FX holds up (reliability wise). I may just get over the rear styling because it does so many things so well. Questions... Is it quiet on the highway (I hate road noise and found the G35c too noisey)? Has anyone developed any squeeks and rattles? Would love to hear how you're all making out.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Remember, you can't really see the rear of the vehicle when you are sitting behind the wheel. And that's what counts, right?

Steve, Host
  • Options
    stanny1stanny1 Member Posts: 962
    Only the X5 drivers see the FX rear end anyway.