Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Infiniti FX45 Infiniti FX35

Comments

• Options
    clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    I find it a little high. Wind noise is non existent. It is the tire roar over bad pavement. It is not as noisy as my 300M with OEM tires but does have more noise then the RX and X5. But is something I can live with given the cars outstanding grip.
  • Options
    Broke 3000 this month. We actually were 60 short of the sales numbers of the G35 coupe. Once infiniti redos the Q-ship, I, and M they will have quite a line up. Add in the forthcoming QX56 and it bodes well for infiniti. Let's hope the dealers don't get the snop factor Acura did after their turn around.
  • Options
    timmerc517timmerc517 Member Posts: 6
    I read somewhere (I think Car & Driver) that as early as 2004 Infiniti will be improving the ride quality on the FX... anybody know any other details? I hope they break down the packages a little more, I'd like to have the Intelligent Key System but I don't want to pay an extra 9 grand for navigation system/dvd player... I don't need those to tell me how to get to work every morning... I've been doing the same route for decades.
  • Options
    calroadscalroads Member Posts: 2
    I am a recent owner of a new FX35 with a tech package. The car is great, handles well with lots of gadgets. I noticed that when you start moving, the navigation system is suspended from inputting information. Has anyone figured out how to change it so you can make changes when you driving. Freeway time seems safe to when adding a destination. Pulling over could be considered more dangerous
  • Options
    LanceL99LanceL99 Member Posts: 39
    My FX35 has just shy of 13K miles and has squealing brakes. Anyone else have that problem?
  • Options
    ivyfchuivyfchu Member Posts: 21
    Guys, the rear deck problem (as described in the other section of the forum) is real. My FX has the same problem and I thought it was the supporting arms of the rear deck/ hatch making a squeaky noise. However, it was actually the rear deck scratching the body of the car! I just made a appointment with a local dealer to fixed this and they are aware of the problem as many FXs have the same issue.
  • Options
    There was a nation wide recall issued on this back in june or july the link is Here
  • Options
    jpiatchekjpiatchek Member Posts: 177
    Glad to hear they went over the 3000 mark. Seems to me that I read somewhere that the dealers were recalibrating the computer modules of the new Q45's under warranty to improve performance and throttle response and that the transformation has been remarkable. Suppposed to make it worthy of it's Q-ship name now. Sure seems like they might be headed in the right direction on all the models as of late.
  • Options
    It seems I could be happily in Nissan/Infiniti vehicles for quite a while. There is talk on another board of people that went to a focus group for the new M35/M45. This will replace the current I and M models. Add the new fat daddy QX56 with class leading performance (based on C&D specs of the Armada) and infiniti has a very potent line up. All I think they would need now is to steal away some of the Lexus advertising talent and they could challenge the vaunted "L" in a couple years. They would really be THE sport/luxury japanese brand. As they offer way more excitement and driving experience than Lexus or Acura. I predict Infiniti will do quite well over the next few years. I also think this will bode well for FX and G resale values IF we ever trade them
    :-)
  • Options
    reds2k1reds2k1 Member Posts: 3
    Are the FXs equipped with anchors for LATCH connectors and/or tethers found on most baby restraints or baby seats?
  • Options
    wibblewibble Member Posts: 569
    Yes.
  • Options
    It has both. The latch anchors are a little hard to reach.
  • Options
    crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    Please note that the anchors are available on the outboard seat positions only and not in the middle of the bench where it is considered the safest place to secure a childseat.

One can probably use the innermost LATCH anchors if the distance between anchors is less than what is required by the childseat manufacturer. Otherwise, seatbelts are the only alternative.
  • Options
    automophileautomophile Member Posts: 780
    I can't believe someone would suggest changing the Navi so you can fiddle with it while DRIVING! Jeez, don't we have enough accidents with drivers distracted by their cellphones and CD players? But inputting DATA while driving? If you really need this get a Honda or Acura with the voice activation.
  • Options
    arhfx45arhfx45 Member Posts: 27
    What's so hard to believe? When traveling outside my normal surroundings in my FX45, 99% of the time I have a passenger to do the navigation inputs.
  • Options
    suv789suv789 Member Posts: 4
    I am in the market for a new SUV. FX35 is one of the vehicles I tested. The FX is fantastic. It looks awesome and handles even better. I have one complaint. The seat was a little uncomfortable. The side bolsters on the bottom of the seat seam unforgiving and put pressure on my "seat". Plus , the placement of the auto seat controls on the right side of the drives seat is a little awkward. I am a relatively large person but I wonder if anyone else has had this problem. Thanks.
  • Options
    93fsu193fsu1 Member Posts: 97
    I have sat in just about every late model car made and the most comfortable fit for me was the FX35/45. I guess it all comes down to preference. I am tall and heavy and found absolutely no problems. But I tend to prefer the sportier seats and suspensions and the FX fits the bill.

My wife got a Highlander and I absolutely cannot stand those seats - especially the passenger seat.

I think the seats are probably one of the most important factors in selecting a vehicle. I took advantage of attending a car show so I could literally sit in each and every car on display. Ford usually has good seats, but I would never buy a Ford again.
  • Options
    morenikemorenike Member Posts: 12
    I dont wish to start a heated debate but I am trying to decide between the above vehicles. What I'd like to know:

1. Which will drive similar to my passat 4motion V6

2. Which is better on highway MPG (80mile a day highway commute)

3. Which is better for tall drivers (long legs here)

4. Please share any nice little 'tricks' (e.g. i love the power hatch on the RX)

5. Which has the better nav system and DVD (I plan to get both)

6. Which has better resale?

I plan to buy early next summer.

Thanks in advance..
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "This is a common problem in driving. Talking on a cell phone and trying to drive, for instance, is not unlike trying to count passes in a basketball game and simultaneously keep track of wandering animals.

Strayer has done tests of people who were driving and talking on phones, and found that they remember far fewer things than those driving without phones."

link

I don't think it's too much of a stretch to extend this line of thinking to NAV systems and DVD players, and the debate should lead to some interesting regulations and law suits in the coming years to combat driving while distracted.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    morenikemorenike Member Posts: 12
    Its only for me and my 6yr old (back seat) so I dont need too much room.

And I only plan to drive on asphalt :-)
  • Options
    wibblewibble Member Posts: 569
    Have a look at http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/suv/112_0309_suv/
    It's a comparison test that includes both cars you are thinking of.
  • Options
    damorminodamormino Member Posts: 82
    Steve,
    Don't forget radios and air conditioners. The difference between those, cellular phones, navigation systems and DVD players is statistically insignificant when it comes to driving distractions. If you plan on banning cell phones, you better ban radios too....and don't forget those vanity mirrors that can be used for applying makeup while driving.
  • Options
    It is true. Pulling off the road is often more dangerous than staying on the road. That's why well designed Navigation systems - like those in aircraft and Honda/Acura automobiles allow changes while driving. And if you have a passenger doing the navigation, the navigation becomes a safety tool that can avoid the potentially dangerous necessity to pull of the road. That's a safety feature Infinity and Lexus don't offer. The system I have in my Lexus RX330 limits changes restrictively. So we always opt for the Acura MDX when traveling in unfamiliar territory.
    (by the way - I considered the FX35 when buying the RX 330 and really liked it's driving responsiveness much better than the RX which drives like an old ladies' car, but I wanted another family oriented vehicle and the RX made my little back seat passengers happier.)
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Don't forget radios and air conditioners.

Radios and air conditioners are virtually entirely passive. I don't know anyone who can hold a telephone conversation in a completely passive manner. Bidirectional communication presupposes engagement.

tidester, host
  • Options
    First, operating a radio is quite similar to operating DVD player or navigation system. So while cell phones might be different by that rule, your feelings about DVD players should also hold true for radios.

Second, the study that was so widely publicized a few months back for showing the cell phones was the number one distraction also showed that radios where the number two distraction and that the difference between the two was insignificant. So what that study really concluded was that both cell phones and radios were the biggest distractions. And anyone using that study to suggest that cell phone use should be banned would also have to suggest that radio use should be banned as well. Passive or not.

Well, all this is probably material for another discussion. But as far as the FX45/35 goes, people should understand that while its navigation system provides value and safety, those are both limited by the fact that Infiniti (unlike Acura) restricts most navigation functions while the car is moving.
  • Options
    Passive or not.

You make no distinction between totally passive activities and those that require full engagement? That's curious.

tidester, host
  • Options
    Well, if the radio was totally passive, you could not adjust the volume or change the station while driving. If the air conditioner was totally passive, you could not adjust the fan, temperature or vents while driving. That's not the case. But it could be designed that way on the next FX45/35. Is that what you are suggesting?
  • Options
    Is that what you are suggesting?

I am suggesting that tuning the radio, listening to it and adjusting the fan, temperature or vents require virtually no thought while full engagement in a two way conversation through a device you hold to your ear requires very substantially more thought and concentration. Otherwise, if the conversations you're having on your cell phone don't require your involvement then you shouldn't be having those "conversations" while driving.

tidester, host
  • Options
    jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    ...that talk back to Talk Radio while we drive.
  • Options
    lol, ain't that the truth!

I'm scattered today and can't find a handy link, but I've read that in the early days, radios wouldn't work unless the car was switched off (or something like that). Driver distraction was a concern back then. Or maybe it's an urban legend and the only problem with car radios back then were the fires they set in the engine compartment.

Some guy in AK was going to trial in Aug. on murder charges - the theory is that he was watching a DVD movie on his dash when he hit another car. Another link I need to dig up.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    ...that talk back to Talk Radio while we drive.

Really! I take back everything I said - blood pressure elevated to extreme levels is a serious safety issue so the radios have to go! The cell phones go too because some of those folks are calling in to talk radio.

tidester, host
  • Options
    mulligan2mulligan2 Member Posts: 59
    Anyone have a problem getting the Bose changer to eject the disks on a humid day?
  • Options
    stanny1stanny1 Member Posts: 962
    My problem with the Bose is that it sounds like a small transistor radio.
    The bass is locked up in the trunk and the midrange disappears when the tiny speakers in the dash try to reproduce frequencies they were not designed for.
    When the high frequencies from the dash speakers
    hit the windshield, they overpower everything else.
    Makes me wonder if this system was ever tuned to the actual vehicle.
    Nothing a 24 band EQ wouldn't fix.
    While I'm on my [non-permissible content removed] list, I want to ask why I have to use the A/C on days when outside cool air would be more than adequate.
    However, you'll notice that all outside air gets heated by the engine compartment.
    Is this dum or what?
    Maybe the FX is really designed for cold climates like my Volvo.
    Here in San Diego, I'm forced to use the A/C too much.
    The only compensation is that my 45 is the 1st car I've had that doesn't turn into a dog when the A/C is on. I guess it's the 329lb of torque.
    My Lincoln LS and Toyota Cressida were dogs with the A/C on. But they had great ventilation systems.
  • Options
    You must have had the best transistor radio in the history of mankind. The FX's system is not on par with the high dollar aftermarket stereos, but it is very good. I'm very happy with the front sound stage & applaud the effort, I've always liked more highs than most however. The center dash speaker adds just the right balance for my tastes. The only real issue I have is with the bass. I wished they'd opted for a single good 8" sub with a little more power to provide the punch needed. I can't help you with the ventilation issue, I love to drive with my windows down if the air isn't on so haven't even tried the ventilation.
  • Options
    The BOSE systems in both my MDX's exhibit a similar problem. Since the woofer is way in the back, audio doesn't sound right when the volume is low. Turn the system way up and sound is well blended and punchy - popular with the young crowd. By comparison, the Mark Levinson system in my RX330 sounds better at all volumes. While not as loud or punchy as the BOSE in the MDX, it reproduces sound more accurately.
    I sampled the BOSE in the FX35 and it reminded me much of the MDX - although I though the smaller cabin yielded different sound characteristics.
    I have been more impressed, on average, with the BOSE systems in sedans, than I have been with BOSE systems in SUV's. I think they need to come up with a better solution for those larger boxier cabins.
    Having said all that, the system should sound much like a transistor radio - although at low volumes, I see some similarities as the bass drops out almost completely.
  • Options
    The air conditioning system in the FX is truly disappointing. If you don't think it works that well in the front seats, try sitting in the back on a 100 degree(F) day. They give you like one or two of the tiniest vents I have ever seen. Air flow is weak and the temperature differential is very low.
    I would live with the BOSE stereo, but it was the anemic air conditioning that garnered zero votes from my family when decision time came.
  • Options
    hatch problems. this is taken from the honda Pilot forum.

#5249 of 5252 qbrozen by deni67 Sep 12, 2003 (3:13 pm)
    What I mean by "breaking" is breaking in the literal sense of the word. Having had it broken 3 times, I'll clarify. The spoiler shifts out of place, rubbing against the roof, scratching and denting the roof, and making it extremely difficult to open and close the trunk. Some discussions in here have referred to it as "warping" but I'm not so sure that that's accurate. And I have personally heard of a spoiler doing exactly what you inquired about...it broke off in the wind and fell to the street. Why the interest? Have you had problems? And for anyone experiencing this problem, I received some new information today. Apparently it is not a design defect that could affect every Pilot ever made. According to Honda, certain Pilots have been affected and they supposedly have a vin# list. Thanks.
  • Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    Although some on this board would disagree, I had the same impression of the a/c being a weak point with both the FX and Q. Here is Az. where 100+ degree temps. are the norm., the car just doesn't blow cool enough. This is after 10-15 min. of driving and on multiple test driven cars. Incidently, this is NOT a problem on my G35. The dealer finally admitted there was poor a/c on the 2002 Q. I'm not sure this was remedied with 2003 or 2004. No offense to Fx or Q owners because I think both cars are great, but this a/c issue kept me from buying both models.
  • Options
    My FX45's A/C has been fine. The temp in my area has been 95-100 several days when the humidity has been 90 % or higher & my FX's interior remains cool without a problem. Back seat temps must have been OK as I've had no complaints.
  • Options
    Do any of you who own an FX have any A/C problems?
  • Options
    and I live in the hot humid mess that is Houston. It has been in the high 80's to upper 90's since april (when I bought the FX) and have no problems with the A/C
  • Options
    JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    I've been very happy with the A/C in my FX45. Even though I have black paint, this summer it quickly brought it to a comfortable temperature after sitting in the sun in 90 degree temps.
  • Options
    snoozdocsnoozdoc Member Posts: 7
    FYI for anyone interested.

Just called around to several dealerships in the south to find out arrival dates for FX45. The dates range from early November to as late as NEXT YEAR. So, to all those drooling over the idea of having one by XMAS...better get a bib to catch the drool.

Anyone know any details regarding HOW the suspension will be made a bit more comfortable, or is it possible that this is just smoke and mirrors ? Just wondering.
  • Options
    They will ship cars out with 32 PSI in the tires all the way around :P
  • Options
    lol, you mean they won't ship with 45 psi to prevent flatspotting? Best double-check them when you pick your new one up!

The New Vehicle Spotlight ad on the main edmunds.com page this week is the FX btw.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    oldprofessoroldprofessor Member Posts: 45
    It's amazing how people can experience things so differently. My wife and I have commented several times about the swiftness with which our FX35 is cooled by the AC, and we live in the DEEP SOUTH--read high temperatures and high humidity, although not as bad as in Houston, thank goodness. Also, we've found the seats to be among the most comfortable we've experienced in cars, and we've owned quite a few. The worst seats by far, IMO, were in the 1996 Infiniti I30. They had absolutely no lateral support. It took me a year before I could ride in the thing for long distances w/o developing sciatica and a backache in short order. I drove our FX35 more than 3800 miles on a 2-week trip this summer with no discomfort from the seats whatsoever. I will say, however, that I'm not a large person--weigh about 140 and am about 5'8" tall or maybe 5'9" on a good day.
  • Options
    bigboogeybigboogey Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys...I'm new and this is a great resource here, Thanks in advance! I'm looking to get a FX35 with 2wd/ leather, sunroof, 17" rims....is that a "sports package" or a "premium package"?
    What would invoice run for that...any idea? Is it ridiculous for me to think I can get it for $500. over invoice? I'll be buying instead of leasing (I drive alot), and putting down around $10K. So any help would be great. I've tried looking for used, but their still so new...few and far between. If anyone has any dealer recommendations around Ventura to LA., let me know! Thanks again!
  • Options
    ichiban470ichiban470 Member Posts: 45
    A/C is great . I live in the Bay Area so it really does not get that hot but this summer was on the warmer side and no problems with the A/C on those days . Seats are one of the best for me . I think they are even more comfortable then my LX470's . Definitely better then my BMW's . 6'0" and 210 lbs ., so these seats might have been designed for guys like me ...? Heard a minor squeak in my sunroof the other day when I had the stereo off and the sunroof shade was open . Infiniti should have talked to Lexus on how to engineer a good sunroof . Infiniti only puts a rubber seal (similar to those put on the doors) around the sunroof . This rubber seal is not as solid as the Lexus rubber seal , causing more movement when the FX is driving on rough roads thus the squeaking . I put some Lexol rubber conditioner on the rubber seal and the sound was gone . I have a strange feeling this will be a bi-monthly duty or maybe Infiniti will recall this later ??? Still love my FX45 and everything else is perfect !
  • Options
    markianmarkian Member Posts: 17
    I read the motorweek site regarding the FX45. IT talked about the excellent handling on dry pavement, but said the performance on snow was poor almost like skiing. Can anyone pleae comment on how their FX45 with 20" tires handles in the winter. Maybe snow tires will do the trick.
  • Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    work on their sunroofs. The molding completely fell on me while driving my G35. To add insult to injury it happened again after being fixed the first time.