Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti FX45 Infiniti FX35

Comments

• rollbarrollbar Member Posts: 297
    I was wondering about breaking the car in too. The manual says don't do full throttle acceleration for the first 1000 miles but the dealer never mentioned a breakin period. My car had 290 miles on it so I know it was tested before I got it. (130 of those were to bring the car down from a Cleveland dealer.)

The FX 45 has more torque but I am not dissappointed in the power of the FX 35 at all. In fact I think it's quick in traffic; pleanty fast enough for around town. My summer driver is a supercharged 2.7 Boxster (0 to 60 5.2) so it's not like I'm comparing the FX35 to my mothers old sedan.

Things for Infinity to improve: (Now that I've had the car for a few days.)

Outside mirrors should be antiglare/self dimming just like the inside mirror. Other manufacturers do it.

There should be an option to have all doors lock at a preset speed.

Those are nitpicky items though and I am very satisified with the vehiicle.

Roll
  • tedcruisertedcruiser Member Posts: 50
    If you didn't think the FX35 was fast compared to the durango then something was wrong with that FX. I you want something to be thrilled about-look at the gas gauge on the durango when you floor it compared to the gas gauge on the FX. The FX is 7.3 to 60 mph. I like to see what the durango is.
  • gibogibo Member Posts: 22
    There was something up with that one. There had to be. My part of the test drive was only a few minutes. I want to take it out for an afternoon. The husband has ruled it out because it's too small and he wants something Sequoia-sized. But I may trade in my Volvo for the FX35 if it behaves like I think it should.
      How can I keep the dealers from going on the test drives with me? That's annoying. I'm guessing it's because I'm young and it's obvious from my license that I'm in the military. (translation: they think I can't afford it)
      And anyone heard about the QX56? Is the pricing supposed to be like the QX4? When is that big boy supposed to be available?
  • wibblewibble Member Posts: 569
    The QX56 should be appearing Feb/March. Pricing will probably be $47K to $51K but almost everything will be standard.
    As far as taking the car for a drive yourself, ask the dealer about a BCC (Borrowed Car Agreement). My local dealer let me take a car for a couple of hours on one.
  • cainepcainep Member Posts: 35
    I believe that Enterprise now have FX's in their rental fleet (probably around $100/day), so you could really try one out without salesmen.
  • stanny1stanny1 Member Posts: 962
    Had this feature on my last car - a 2000 Lincoln LS Manual - and it drove me nuts.
    Thank God my 45 has "manual" locking.
  • 93fsu193fsu1 Member Posts: 97
    That wasn't a line of bull about "breaking in" the car. As with most late model automatic transmissions, it has a computer that adjusts performance based upon the driving style of the driver. On a test drive the car will behave tuned towards the last person who drove it.

Also, the other poster is correct about Enterprise having them for rent. They are mostly for use as service loaners but if you call your local offices they should be able to get one for you to rent for a day or two so you can give it a real test drive without a salesman.
  • jpiatchekjpiatchek Member Posts: 177
    Had this feature on several cars and really disliked it. If there was not a way to disable, I would never buy a new car with that feature. My last experience was with a used Dodge Caravan and it would lock and unlock on it's own every few minutes and all the chimes would ding. Just something else to go wrong that I have to pay to fix. If I want to lock the other doors, it's a matter of flipping a switch. Not too difficult. Don't want a car to think for me.
    Could the lack of performance on the FX be that you had it in manual shift mode and then failed to down=shift it manually when you needed some power? The only time it will downshift itself is when you come to a full stop. The Fx-even the 35- will smoke most other SUV's on the market. Something is defintely not right. Hope you try it again, and don't worry about the salesman. Tell him to prepare for the test drive of his life. He'll probably enjoy it. Did you ever see the 'test drive' scene in the movie 'USED CARS'?
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    Had an appointment for an oil change and the air bag fix today over my lunch hour. When I got there, about 20 minutes late, they also advised me that the brake caliper issue also came up on my vehicle (I have an early build '03 FX45) so this would add approximately 30 minutes to my wait. Without me asking they offered a loaner which was really nice because I had work to do back at the office, and I really didn't want to be there for 2 hours. I picked it up after work, and of course it was washed and the interior was nicely vacuumed. Total cost (I brought in my own Mobil 1) was a very reasonable $26.61.

So far (10,800 miles) the Infiniti ownership experience has been great!
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    How would you compare/contrast your Lexus experience (RX330 right?) and the infiniti Experience (More from a dealer/service perspective).
  • jamesw7jamesw7 Member Posts: 23
    I've been waiting for the arrival of X3 and test drove the 3.0 several weeks ago and was quite disappointed about the cheap interior not even as good as my RAV4) with hard plastic. The 3.0 I test drove has the premium feature and costs around $43K. I still plan to test drive the less expensive 2.5 which costs $4K less but the brochure said, it goes from 0-60 for 9.8 seconds. So what is there to test drive? I am now looking into the FX35, my second choice, sorry guys. I plan to test drive next week and because of my company's relationship, I can get the FX35 below invoice. I read about the 2003 test report on rough ride and all, which I do not prefer, but the 2004 FX35 soften the suspension. Can anyone tell me the ride between the two?
  • michael2003michael2003 Member Posts: 144
    Please test drive the 03 and 04 FX35 back to back and post your opinion. I've been kind of interested in this myself, but can't seem to get up off the couch.
    Regarding the dealership experiences, between Lexus and Infiniti, I would say for us they have been equally good - they are very comparable with respect to good attitude, keeping their schedules, loaner cars, free coffee and cookies, etc. Realize however that so far we've only dealt with each of them on routine scheduled maintenance and in the case of Infiniti, on the warranty items (for which the manufacturer provides specified repair procedures). As the miles accummulate and we start to have more extensive service work done, we'll see if both of them provide the type of excellent service that they have thus far!
    From everything that I've read the ride quality of the X3 is much harsher than the FX35, especially the sport suspension version. C&D described it as practically unbearable so I am curious to see what your opinion is, and how the two vehicles compare if you do get around to driving them back to back as micheal2003 (aka "couch potato" <g>) suggests.

It just seems (based on the amazingly cheap plastic interior) that the X3 is WAY overpriced, even if the ride was good. Also like nearly all first-year German SUV's (Merc M, VW Toureg, and the X5 before it) that the X3 will surely be much less reliable than the FX.
    Does anyone know if I can get the Navi only without getting the technology package?
    Nope. But they have split out the rear DVD player in the '04.
    Also, you don't need the sports package to get the technology package anymore. This can make a tech package FX a lot less in price. Bear in mind that a lot of dealers are also clearing out their '03s now.
  • gauntlett1gauntlett1 Member Posts: 17
    Pick up my black loaded FX45 this week. Same day drove it to NYC and back to MA. Bakes are excellent. Suspension is just has stiff as my Sequoia, the only think is there is less up spring on the FX45. Sequoia does have a smother ride, due to more up spring suspension travel. It tracks the road as a sport car. Visibility out of there back (rear) is about the same as Sequoia when passengers and luggage are on board. 450 miles so far.

The vehicle is listed as a truck by my insurance company and motor vehicle. That is OK with me, since if they ever classify it as a sport car, insurance would be expensive.

DVD my kids enjoy. Wife drove it part of the way and was extremely impressed by the ease of handling and power. Getting on the highway is a breeze.

NAV system is simple to use as well as the other controls. Average about ~20 miles per gallon on the trip as per the computer. Knowing the tire pressure is must feature.

It is geared towards performance and get it. No issues to report.
  • stevemnwstevemnw Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have owned an FX45 for 3 months, and I've had a few problems. I love the car, but I'm trying to get a perspective on my little problems and understand how common they are for all of you.

My FX45 "bugs":
    1. wind noise from drivers side mirror
    2. rattles and creaking sounds in driver door
    3. cruise control some times does not engage to hold speed constant (even at over 50 mph)
    4. headlight angle control wheel buzz noise (rattles)
    5. turn signal a little on the loud side (this is a nit, but it still is annoying).
    6. some of the menu-navigation design is awkward, and the requirement to respond to the system EACH time you start your car is a real pain - but I understand the legal reasons.

I do love this car, but Infiniti seems to have some rattle/creaking problems with their doors and "roller/wheel" switches on many models - I had same problems with a 2001 QX4.

The headlight roller switch is making more and more noise, so I may have to take it in for repair even though it apparently requires disassembling a lot of the dash - which can lead to new noises.

By the way, Infiniti is FANTASTIC with their service to try to fix noises and other problems, but it is costly for me wrt time (it usually takes several trips to the dealer to solve a rattle problem).

Thanks for any comments.
    #1 Do not have this proble
    #2 If I lean on the dor in a turn it makes a slight popping noise but if there is no pressure on it it is fine. Have not had it looked at.
    #3 If you have the Tech package and it was raining when you try to engage the cruise. ICC will not engage if your wipers are on passed int. I thought my cruise was busted on a long trip until I read the manual and figured this out. regular cruise will engage no matter the wiper speed.
    #5 I like this you are less likely to leave them on. I also tend to take advantage of the bose system a lot so I usually don't even hear it.
    #6 there is a bypass posted on another forum for being able to use the nav while driving. but the "I Agree" screen is there to stay sorry to say.
  • nsirponsirpo Member Posts: 2
    I'm considering the FX35 with all the gadgets...do you recommend? How's the acceleration compared to say a Lexus RX330?

Is the interior properly luxurious for an Infiniti??

Thanks
    Bear in mind that the FX35 is based on the G35 Coupe, chassis and transmission. The RX330 is based on the Toyota Camry. The Infiniti puts out 280hp compared to 230hp of the Lexus. The AWD system on the FX is considerably more sophisticated than that of the RX. The engine on the FX is a 100,000 mile tune up free unit with a cam chain designed to last the life of the engine. As far as interiors go, the Lexus goes with the leather/wood approach whereas the Infiniti is leather/aluminium. Really a matter of taste.
    The two cars are VERY different dynamically. I would really suggest driving both. If a quiet, soft ride is your thing then go for the Lexus. If you like performance and handing then go for the Infiniti.
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    Based on the numbers posted by Car & Driver on their review of the RX330 and FX35, the FX35 is quicker (7.1 sec versus 7.8 sec to 60 mph) and handles better (0.80g versus 0.75g). If performance is your priority, the FX35 is the crossover for you. If luxury is your priority, I think that you will be happier with the RX330.
    How is your FX holding up. I think we got ours around the same time. I have 12k on mine and have been very happy with it despite the recalls and seat squeaks.
    Have 10k on my FX35 with tech. The only thing it has been in for us a trim piece on the rear window. None of the problems others have had and is completely squeak and rattle free. No hatch problem either. Bought it end of May.
    Our FX is holding up very well. We currently have approximately 9K+ miles on it and haven't had any issues with it aside from the squealing brakes and the recalls. I have no seat squeaks. It is a JOY to drive. The biggest surprise is how my wife totally loves driving it.
  • blckthreeblckthree Member Posts: 153
    You guys need to get out and drive those FX's! I have 19K on mine and no rattles, squeaks, squealing brakes or anything. The recalls have been handled well by the dealer, loaner if I need it. Had the airbag reprogram and brake calipers done while I waited and was there less than 45 minutes!

The closest thing to a problem has been one very small crack in the windshield, which was repaired before it got out of control. Other than that, one great vehicle.

Outstanding handling, more than enough acceleration for me, and it still turns lots of heads!
  • stanny1stanny1 Member Posts: 962
    The RX330 is more of a woman's car, while the FX is more of a man's car. (Popular Mechanics)
    Some of the leftover FX45s, sans Tech, are going out close to the 40k mark. That's a deal compared to almost anything else, especially from a performance standpoint.
    Our FX is the babymobile, so it's not used as a daily driver. Infiniti service has been pretty good so far.
    Blckthree

I would have more miles but I am only allowed 15k per year since I leased. I am actually considering buying an 04 and trading my 03 so I can do the nav-tv mod and the nav while moving mod and a couple others. I'm waiting for grubbs to do another vpp special in the spring and if it makes sense I might go for it. However with them splitting out the DVD of the tech has made it about 1k more expensive than last year.

Crikey- My wife also loves driving the FX. I had to get her another car so I could ever see some wheel time :)
    gauntlett1, you said your FX45 "Suspension is just has stiff as my Sequoia". Are you driving the 2003 model or 2004 since the 2004 suspension is supposed to be softer.
  • petewat3petewat3 Member Posts: 83
    "You guys need to get out and drive those FX's! I have 19K"

I'm almost there.... close to 17K now on my 45Tech. A couple of minor fixes early on & the ECM airbag thing but other than that I am very pleased both with the car and the service. A guy in a Navigator grilled me this morning in a gas station and it's such a pleasure to be able to say that yes, I tried the Cay, X5, RX330, MDX, etc. & after 6 months I still think I got the best vehicle for my needs.
  • gauntlett1gauntlett1 Member Posts: 17
    jamesw7: I have a 2003 FX45. It is just as rough as the 2001 Sequoia over bumps, but the Sequoia dampens it some (not much). 2003 FX45 can be had for 48K (with tech package). If you wait until 2004, it may be 500 or 1K less and you may not get the color you desire.

I drove the Subaru WRX, RX330, FX35, and FX45, and my choice was the FX45. RX330 lean to much and dive when stopped hard. The RX330 appointments are tad better than the FX45. WRX was just basic AWD car with power, handling, and limited options. FX35 exhaust rumble is a bit louded than the FX45. When priced for a loaded FX35, it came close to the price of a loaded FX45 (after bargaining). I have a light foot, but when my foot gets heavy, it responds. The AWD works extremely well. You really can not tell when it it engaged.
  • gibogibo Member Posts: 22
    Curious to know if anyone has figured out how to rig the navigation so it will accept a new address while the car is moving. That has to be the most ANNOYING feature of an otherwise great car.
    Took my Fx in for an oil change and tire rotation. Have 10k on it. They also took care of the air bag reprogram and disk brake bolt. I dropped it off about 9AM and picked it up about 1;30PM. They gave me a g35 loaner and washed and vac'd my Fx. Total cost was $54.00. Thought that was pretty reasonable. What's this cost at most other Infiniti dealers?
  • arhfx45arhfx45 Member Posts: 27
    This is an easy hack. The Navigation unit is under the passenger seat. Remove the front panel at the bottom of the passenger seat & you can see the wiring to the navigation unit. There are 3 wiring connectors to this unit you will see in front. A small one with the wires covered to the right & 2 larger ones. Disconnect all 3 connectors & you'll have enough slack to pull the wires out & see them to work on them. The far left connector is white & won't be modified. The far right (small connector) is also not modified. The middle of the 3 connectors is grey & has about 20 wires in it. On this grey connector you'll see a solid grey wire, the second wire from the passenger's door,on the bottom row in the grey connector. This wire needs to be cut & have a toggle switch spliced into the circuit. When the switch is closed the Nav system works as designed, when the switch is flipped open the Nav system thinks you're stopped & will thus allow any inputs. Once you've input a destination flip the switch back & in a few seconds the system will realize you've moved & relocate the "Arrow" to your new location. I ran a wire over to the blank plate next to the AWD Lock switch & mounted a small toggle switch by drilling a hole in the empty plate.

Ok, "X" marks the grey wire looking at it while laying in front of the passenger seat looking at the connector plugged into the Navi unit.

000000000 = Wire location in the grey connector. (___)=no wire there.
    0X0___000

"X" is the only grey wire in the large grey connector.

OK, I realize this may sound a little involved, but it took me less than 10 minutes & that included running the wire under the console. You can splice a wire into the circuit & mount a small toggle switch anywhere to make this work.

Good luck.
    arhfx45- I won't ask how you figured that one out. Any other useful hacks you've discovered?? And a probably un-needed caution but we all need to be conscious of making mods that may nullify the warranty.
  • rudikamprudikamp Member Posts: 34
    I am in the market for an FX 35 and can't make
    my mind if I should get the AWD or the RWD.
    I live in Northern New Jersey.
    Thanks for your thoughts and advise.
    Ionly recommend rwd for those in the south. I would think you would definately want AWD.
    I test drove the '03 FX35 and then the X3 (second time) over the holidays. I like the FX35 acceleration. The suspension is stiff but acceptable. The dealer didn't have the '04 FX35 ready for test drive but I suspect the suspension should be a little softer which is what I prefer. The salesman said he cannot tell the difference between the '03 or '04 suspension. The interior quality is average which is on par with X3's interior quality. I do like the X3 drive. Handling is very good and car is very good looking. The X3 costs $43K (MSRP) with the option I want but FX35 is $35.7K due to my company's purchase plan. I want to see the X3 final production product to make a decision.
  • shap1shap1 Member Posts: 77
    I too am torn between the X3 and FX35. I'll be coming off lease on my 325i in a few months. Ideally, I'd like to get similar performance to the 325 with a bit more room, esp.in the back seat.

Would love your observations as you've seen/driven both.
  • mulligan2mulligan2 Member Posts: 59
    Has anyone else experienced a 2-3 mpg decrease in fuel economy with the change to oxygenated gas for the winter? I have a 2003 FX 35 and find this a bit irritating.
    Yep, noticed the same thing. Was a consistant 21.5 to 22.5. Now it is struggling to maintain an even 20 mpg. Did notice with the colder weather, the tire pressure had dropped about 3 lbs, that made a slight difference when I aired it back up. BTW.. I run 36psi in the tires.
    Shap1, I love to give you my opinions about the FX35 vs X3. I also own a MDX (my wife driving), 323is (my son driving) and I am driving the RAV4. I like the FX35 acceleration and it feels and sounds like driving a sports car. I do not like the interior layout and design, particularly on the aluminium trim. It may look sporty to some but not to me. I like the wood trim all the way. The interior panel/plastic quality is average just like the X3 interior. The X3 has a very nice interior design and layout as well as the exterior look. It is a very pretty looking car. There is something about driving the BMW is the thrill of driving one and in fact, it's true that the handling and maneuverability are superb compared to other cars I own, Accord, MDX, RAV4, Regal, etc. The X3 driving experience is excellent, the cornering, the handling, the thrill. I drove quite a number of SUV/SAV including FX35, MDX, RX300, etc. The X3 driving experience is the best. Although I have some complaints about the X3 interior quality and the stiff ride. I think you understand what I mean since you own the 325i. Driving the X3 is very much like driving my 323is. It is fun to drive. Hope it helps. I will post this writing on the X3 forum as well.
    I haven't noticed any change in mileage due to using oxygenated gas so I did a little research. Many of the areas originated designated for oxygenated gas use by the clean air act have since been taken off the list due to improved air polution. If you want to know if your area is required to use it check out: http://www.epa.gov/otaq/regs/fuels/oxy-area.pdf
    It turns out that the Philly/B'More/DC area doesn't require it as of 1996. The EPA reports that you can experience as much as a 3% reduction in mpg if you are using it, depending on the formulation..... fyi
    Must just be the colder weather eating up more gas, I am not on the oxygenated list. Guess it could be a heavier foot too.
  • dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    I don't think that list is complete.

The Milwaukee area that I live in has been on the oxygenated gas since 1994 and is still on it.
  • bpraxisbpraxis Member Posts: 292
    Happy New Year and I hope that you are having a great day. You may want to check many of the initial reviews for the new X3 which have been very negative.

Some of the authors cited a very uncomfortable ride, cheap build quality, cheap looking interior, poor value for the money, only 10 percent less in cost then the X5, cheap looking bumpers, etc. I saw the new X3 at the Orlando car show and IMO I have to agree with the recent automotive articles regarding the downscale appearance. And I do not own the Infiniti but am considering purchasing it. The X5 is a very attractive vehicle and if you can afford the extra 10 percent by all means go for it.

And by the way the the new X3 is not made in a BMW factory. It is contracted out to another manufacturer because BMW does not have the current capacity to build the vehicle. It would have been more attractive to me if the X3 were priced about the same level at the entry level Land Rover starting around $25,000 which is commensurate with the new X3 style.

So many great choices.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    "Some of the authors cited a very uncomfortable ride, cheap build quality, cheap looking interior, poor value for the money, only 10 percent less in cost then the X5"

You have to take it out for a test drive. I don't know if these authors were in pre-production vehicles, but the vehicle I tested had a ride, finish, quality and price that are on par with a 3-series (given the fact this is a SUV/SAV and not a sedan for the handling). In addition it is a smart looking vehicle. I certaintly wouldn't spend a plugged nickel on any vehicle that had "very uncomfortable ride, cheap build quality, cheap looking interior, poor value for the money". But in fact the vehicles I saw at the dealer did not fit these negative descriptions.

But of course you vote with your dollars.