Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti FX45 Infiniti FX35

Comments

• iwannafxiwannafx Member Posts: 1
    Where are you located?

Here in Wisconsin, they are offering about the same deal, but I don't like the colors that are left.

If you'd like, please e-mail if you'd prefer.

Thanks!
  • stupidmestupidme Member Posts: 11
    did anybody heard about racing airfilter to be added to fx35, which should increase torque and HP
  • rollbarrollbar Member Posts: 297
    .....and what do you think about it?

It seems to work as represented but the pucker factor is high. I can barely resist hitting the brake when the vehicle ahead brakes. ;-)

Roll
  • petewat3petewat3 Member Posts: 83
    I think the intelligent cruise control is awesome. At first I had a little 'pucker factor' but no more. Two things though: 1) I wish there was a closer proximity setting because in heavy traffic I find that I override it with the accelerator to get closer often & 2) when in steady rain or sun low on the forward horizon & manual is needed, the manual is a pain to put on - should be better designed.
  • kcrudupkcrudup Member Posts: 26
    I can only use it on two-lane roads. On multilane highways, even at the lowest-distance setting (and the distance appears to be speed-related) it keeps way more of a distance than I ever would, and it brakes too much (a big no-no here in California, where the ripple effects screw it up for everybody behind me). As far as "Rollbar"'s comment on manual-mode activation, you just hold it down an extra second- what more do ya want?!
    yeh I suppose (that was me btw, not rollbar). It's just not very user-friendly, probably more so because there is no indicator of the speed you're setting to (like in the intelligent mode) or that it is engaged, until you feel it take over. Manual just seems like an afterthought in the implementation. Give it a speed read out with an indicator that it's manual. But you're right - it's a small thing.
  • texasfx35texasfx35 Member Posts: 65
    Regarding the use of the manual mode cruise control. At least on the '04 FX, once the system is set to manual by depressing the on/off switch for a couple of seconds, when you set a desired speed a green indicator light comes showing "set" in the speedometer dial face. This is in addition to the "cruise" indicator light. It is easy to determine if you are in manual or ICC mode because the icon of a car sending out "waves" is not present in the trans drive indicator window when the manual mode is activated. As to the set speed in manual, I guess you just have to believe the old reliable analog needle on the speedo.
  • petew4petew4 Member Posts: 71
    sounds like the 04 made some improvements. As for the set speed....it's just that I'm used to seeing the digital with ICC and I like the accuracy (at least perceived accuracy) vs. the analog needle thing.
  • huma2huma2 Member Posts: 24
    hey stanny, the lease deal i just got on a loaded 2003 fx45 , msrp of $53,000 is $1000 down $538/month for 39 months 12,000 mi/year. i think i got a great deal just wanted to give you an update. and to say thanks for the lead. will let you know how it is when i get it. thanks again
  • ncvolncvol Member Posts: 196
    Just did a 200 mile round trip in my FX35 that I got last night, and the seat is killing me. The adjustment controls on the right side of the seat are encased in a hard plastic housing that cuts off the last couple inches of the right side thigh bolster, and so the effect is like driving while sitting on a thick wallet in your back pocket. My hip socket hurts and my mid-back on the right side is sore as well from having my hips unequal heigth. Apparently, this is known problem, although more frequently occurring with the G35's, there are several threads devoted to the problem in other message forums. I took it back to the dealer and the salesman told me I was the first to complain for the FX, but that several had complained about the G35. Infiniti apparently has taken the position that they're not going to do anything about it, even though there is a TSB for the problem with the G35 (even though those who have gotten the fix say it doesn't do anything to help the problem).

This sucks, sucks, sucks. I love this car. Love it. But I can't keep a car that causes me physical pain when I drive it for more than a half hour at a time.

And before anyone asks, I'm not morbidly obese or an NBA player. I didn't actually have my wallet in my back pocket (or anything else) and I tried every conceivable adjustment to the seat position.
    The '04 is exactly like the '03 (I have an '03 FX45) WRT to the ICC.
  • njgladiatornjgladiator Member Posts: 10
    What are you guys paying for the Tech model on a 48 month lease ?
    Interesting note above on accuracy of the speedometer in the FX.

I have checked mine and note an inconsistency between the analog and digital indicators.

The analog reads about 2.5 to 3 mph high but the digital reads only 1 to 1.2 mph high. I'm checking this against an independent GPS, (Garmin).

Anyone else check and what did you find?

Roll
    the analog on mine is about 2 mph higher than the ICC readout. Would be interesting to know which is correct (if either).

ncvol- that's too bad. I haven't noticed any interference from the seat controls with comfort (5'10" and 160 lbs), maybe I'm small enough for it not to be an issue.

kcrudup- my 03 45 doesn't have an indicator light on the dash when in manual, only when ICC engaged. I wonder if it's burned out - I'll have it checked. Thanks.
  • jpiatchekjpiatchek Member Posts: 177
    I would like the last setting to let me get a little closer. In heavier traffic I just use the manual cruise sometimes. Have found you can override the intelligent cruise with the throttle if you want to get closer and then the intelligent cruise will drop back to its original setting when you get off the gas without having to push resume. This will allow you to drive more aggressively without having fiddle with the settings. Try it. It works pretty well. It was never designed to be used in congested areas, IMO. I find I can use this technique and drive fairly aggressively.
    I do the same. And while I can appreciate that Infiniti has to listen to their legal/insurance advisors, it would be nice to have the option to get closer. Maybe some enterprising techi could hack it?
  • jgq1jgq1 Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for your response… Sounds like they both have the similar performance, and since the wife thinks the FX is cooler…. I think the FX wins.
  • jgq1jgq1 Member Posts: 11
    I've searched on the Infiniti website the inventory of all the dealerships within 150 mile of where I live (MI) That includes Chicago and Detroit and I could not find the FX I want (FX35 AWD,Beryllium + sport + Tech + Chroom). It looks like I will have to custom order it from the manufacturer through the dealer. My question is that: Will it be reasonable to be firm on the price and ask for it to be at invoice? I read that when cutsom ordering, hold back is pure profit for the dealer. Also, I'm thinking of paying cash, will that be an advantage on the price? will I be able to get it for less than invoice? Is it wishful thinking? :)
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    From what I understand, auto dealers always have a "cash" deal with their auto sales; i.e., they always get paid at the close of the deal. This is whether it's coming from the bank, finance co., or the buyer. Secondly, the financing actually makes them MORE money than a straight cash deal because of the interest on the sale price.

BTW, you may want to check with some of the larger Infiniti dealers regarding your exact color and options. Examples are Grubb Infiniti in Dallas and Infiniti of Scottsdale (Az.) as they may have the exact car you want in stock.
    I wasn't aware of that.
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    Dealers can make money by marking up base lease and finance rates. Say the best rate you can get is 3.6 but the dealer says you got approved at 6.1 they make 2.5 points on the deal and get that at closing. It is even worse when talking about sub prime financing dealers and make 3-5 points based on the lender.
  • 29632963 Member Posts: 37
    For those of you who've had an XM unit installed by an Infiniti dealer, could you please tell me where the satellite receiver gets linked into the audio system? Does the dash have to be torn apart to plug in the XM receiver, or does it get buried beneath a seat (or any other pre-wired location)?

Also, where do they place the surface-mounted exterior antenna? Is the antenna feed pre-wired at the factory, or does the head liner have to be removed?

I'd like to purchase an XM unit as a dealer-installed option when I get my FX, and am wondering how "messy" the installation is...

Thanks!
    I bought an '04 FX35 tech/touring in December in Houston. Had dealer install an Infiniti-supplied XM receiver. The receiver is installed beneath the left rear cargo deck. The spare and some infrastructure needs to be removed to do so, but not a big deal. A "wiring harness" is apparently run to the front OEM radio and hooked up. Don't know if the dash and/or radio need to be removed, but in my case the installation is flawless. The antenna is mounted about six inches inside of the left rear cargo rail with the lead disappearing into the groove in the top of the roof and (I assume) threading down to the receiver which is now near the left rear quarter panel. Since this is an Infiniti kit, I assume all was designed to work this way. All in all a very clean installation with which I am sure you will be happy.

Several points:

- with the nav system, the XM unit will show only 10 characters of the artist or title. Sirius apparently shows entire wording. Both XM and Sirius apparently show all wording with the standard LCD, i.e. non-tech. At first we thought it was due to the dealer-installed unit, but a FX with nav and a factory-installed XM just came in and has the same quirk. Dealer is still trying to get Infiniti tech service to determine where the problem is (i.e. in the radio or in the XM receiver). Not a big deal, but some lost functionality.
    - The Houston dealer says Infiniti is not supplying any additional XM wiring harnesses to them. Not sure why other than Infiniti misses some profit when the dealer does it (for $300 more than the factory install). You may want to confirm availability in CA.
    - If possible, I would try to get a low profile antenna installed. The "kit" antenna is a tad "ugly" with its higher profile.
    I've got the XM dealer installed on a non-tech package and I only seem to get roughly ten characters a line for the title/artist info. Did you mean ten total for all the info? Or ten per line? Either way it's rare to get a song or program where you get the full info displayed.
    Tuesday I'm having the front of the car covered with the clear plastic protection. They'll do the mirrors too. I am also having the top of the rear bumper covered where it's likely to get scratched loading stuff into the cargo area.

Anyone else have this done?

I'm paying $275 for the front and $40 for the rear.

Roll
    I have not seen the units the dealer used to troubleshoot the problem, but my understanding is this:

- on a non-tech, both Sirius and XM display the entire artist and title in the center of the lcd. It may have to scroll through to see all the characters, but you can see all eventually.

- on a FX - tech, the artist and title are shown one item at a time on the bottom of the screen (you have to manually advance the readout from ch to artist to title, etc). Again my understanding from the dealer is that the Sirius/tech units will show the entire title or artist (not sure if it scrolls or the entire title is showing), but with the XM only 10 characters will display and no scrolling. For example, for Paul McCartney, one would see Paul McCar and that is all.

Is this how yours operates? Maybe other sat owners can give use some input.
  • stupidmestupidme Member Posts: 11
    I was wondering is there cover for the trunk where it is not a net but other materil, which will cover trunk and nothing is to be seing from outside,
    check this site from another post....it's available for $229 but others have paid as much as $500 - don't know if it's the same cover.
    http://www.infinitiwholesaleparts.com/en_US/
     ...click on the FX35/45 tab.
  • 29632963 Member Posts: 37
    Thank you for taking the time to offer your detailed response to my inquiry...
  • tdomatdoma Member Posts: 48
    I just recently bought a used FX35 with tech. I have a question on the DVD & Navig. Is it possible for the kidz to listen to the DVD, while I am playing the radio/cd in the front? Is there anything special that needs to be done?
    Thanks in advance.
    You sure can- they can operate the DVD and listen to it in the supplied headphones. You can listen normally to the in-car stereo.
    hi all i am getting the fx45 any day now, its on its way from texas, i cant wait. it has the cross bars on the roof and i was wondering what bike attachments are available for it? i have a yakima rack from my old car i could take the cross bars off i was just wondering if i had any other choices? thanks for any help.
    congrats on the 45...I've had my 45tech for 7 mos. - you won't regret it. I use Yakima & it looks great. Can't beat 'em for engineering and looks. I have lowriders with a boa for my bike and powderhounds for the skis on now. But I also have their basket, spacebooster top box, and kayak stacker which all look great on top of the FX. Nothing that Infiniti or anyone else can offer beats Yakima's systems.
    so i should return the crossbars, i have the low riders with the vipers and i love it. is the 100lbs load max accurate, its seems alittle light.
  • tdomatdoma Member Posts: 48
    How much do you want for them, if you are going to get rid of them?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Please, no buying and selling on Town Hall. Thanks,

Steve, Host
  • bigsweatybigsweaty Member Posts: 22
    Does anybody have an opinion on the maintenance intervals on the FX35? I am hitting about 2500 miles and am not sure whether I go in now for the oil/filter or wait until 7500 miles.

Thanks.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Edmunds Maintenance Guide should have that info.

Steve, Host
    The default setting for my XM display can be changed by pressing the tuning knob on the right several times. It gives you a choice of showing the channel #, or the name of the channel, or the name of the artist, or the name of the song/program. To get all the info on the screen at once, you have to push that tuning knob once when you get to a new channel, but then turning the knob no longer changes the channel and you have to use the "tune" panel on the left under the "seek" panel to move one at a time. It's very unintuitive, but a minor ergonomic quibble (unlike my seats).

On no setting does the display show more than 10 characters per line, and there is no scrolling that I have been able to find. My display will show something like this:

Top Tracks

Bruce Spri

Thunder Ro
    I've looked at a lot of places on the oil change question, and everyone has a different opinion. The dealer told me there is no "break in" oil change necessary, and while the manager gave me a coupon for a free first change at 3750 miles, the salesman told me every 5000. The owner's manual has two schedules for service, one with change intervals at 3750 and the other for 7500 miles. I've read people posting that they do it in every combination of these intervals, and then comes the whole question of using synthetic oil.

Right now I'm thinking about going in for the free one at 3750, then coming back at 7500 and putting in synthetic at that time, and then waiting 7500 between changes from that point on.
    the 100 lb. rating is conservative. They need to protect themselves but it's single point weight which you'd never have unless your bike is a clunker (which I'm sure it isn't if your drivin an FX45) - weight tends to be distributed even if your packin a space booster loaded, a mtn bike, and a kayak -done that with no problem.
    Also, check out the boa. It allows you to lose the long unsightly wheel tray - looks better on the FX - minimalist.
  • stanny1stanny1 Member Posts: 962
    Around San Diego,I've noticed that SUVs with DVD players, including the FX, driving around with the screen playing a DVD so that the driver behind can see that they have a DVD player, although there is no one in the back seat to watch it?
    Sort of a status thing?
  • wibblewibble Member Posts: 569
    Sad but true. I followed a ricer Accord in Riverside, CA last night. It had what looked like a 20" screen playing music videos although no-one was in the back.
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    It's kinda like the Xenon headlights and fog lamps being on when it's bright and sunny. It's the old, "if you got it, flaunt it..." even if it annoys everyone else. Hey, look at me!!!
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    They do that here in Houston on the main drag (Westheimer) on weekend nights, However they play some pretty umm "interesting" movies on the ones I have seen.
    single point weight does that mean each point where it ar=ttaches to the car. where did you read that info? i ride an ellsworth truth full suspension roughly 25lbs and a dream to ride. i already have the viper, the full tray adds a little more stability, and i dont mind the looks. my fx45 tech will be here in 2 days, i cant wait.
    yes & I think I read that in a 'letters to the editor' in either MBA (Mtn. Bike Action) or Mountain Bike magazine but it's been a while - I'll see if I can find the mag..... it was written by an engineer that ID'd himself as having worked for Yakima. The Truth is nice - it was one of the bikes I considered when I bought my Santa Cruz Heckler. Enjoy your new FX - just got mine detailed last weekend & it's new all over again - sweet!
  • jccsscjccssc Member Posts: 44
    Does anyone have to make a decision between these 2 cars? And what made you decide to take the FX35? I am 70% FX / 30% RX myself but my wife is just the opposite. I am getting ready to jump the gun 1st or 2nd week of March. Please share your experience here.
    BTW, I notice there is no FX-problems board here. Should I take this as a good sign? I see a lot of activities in the Lexus problem board though. Thanks.
  • bankeizenbankeizen Member Posts: 46
    While I don't own one I know someone who got rid of an exotic and very expensive MB who is very happy with his FX 45. I would have bought it save for the restricted rear visibility. The Lexus is nothing but a glorified Camry and outrageously expensive. The FX's reliability appears to be very excellent.

Take your wife out and let her see the difference in performance in exchange for a little harder ride.
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    There have been a couple of recalls but they were all minor:

1. Airbag ECM reprogramming
    2. Brake bolts to be tightened

There was another recall but it did not affect all FX vehicles:

3. Tightening of screws of propeller shaft.

There were issues with the rear hatch warping due to extreme hot weather but not all FXs seem to be affected. However, Infiniti decided to fix these instead of replacing hatches of all FXs.

BTW, these are for 2003 models. I believe the 2004 models are unaffected.

Another very annoying issue on the FX and also seems to affect quite a few of the Nissan/Infiniti vehicles is the brake squeal. It sounds like you're driving a school bus or dump truck everytime you brake. It's really annoying but it seems that it does not adversely affect the performance of the brakes as ours still stops on a dime. I've heard similar behavior from 350Zs, G35s, and Muranos.

Other than those minor issues, the FX is quite reliable and trouble-free.