Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Infiniti FX45 Infiniti FX35

Comments

• Options
    petew4petew4 Member Posts: 71
    stanny- I think I just got lucky. I don't drive it 'restrained' - my favorite thing to do is accelerate through turns & feel that .89 G's.
  • Options
    Firebird_EOUFirebird_EOU Member Posts: 250
  • Options
    wibblewibble Member Posts: 569
    Sometime next month is all I know at the moment. They are rolling of the production line as we speak.
  • Options
    stanny1stanny1 Member Posts: 962
    Whenever I try to be unrestrained, the "Slip Light" comes on and my fun gets cut short!
    I found a new wheel at my local Infiniti dealer for $400. A new one was over $900! It was a "take-off". The dealer had a lot of these, and I'm sure they are almost pure profit.
    Seems like there are more than a few buyers who finance replacement wheels at the time of FX purchase. The Service Manager mentioned "Spinners" and I feel myself lucky that I have not seen an FX with Spinners. I'm praying I never do or I'll have to buy another model. Around here, I've seen loads of new Pearl White Escalades and Navis with paper plates and expensive wheels including spinners. These "mobile jewelry" vehicles seem to stay in the right lane for some reason, along with Hummers. FXes are usually in the left lane.
    Of course, if I had that much in wheels, I'd probably be in the right lane also, with someone in a Geo Metro lead car looking for road debris that could pop my 24" wheels!
    20" is risky enough!
  • Options
    clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    wow pete 40k on the goodyears that is awesome. Don't have snow to deal with in houston so that is not a worry. Will have to check out the falkens also as the Discount tires here have them.
  • Options
    shotgunshotgun Member Posts: 184
    I have a Golden Sand and am very pleased with it. It doesn't show dirt, stands out in a crowd, and looks absolutely spectacular at night in the glow of sodium and regular streetlights...
  • Options
    crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    Thanks for you well wishes, buddy. I guess Jeanne wants to visit Disneyworld too, like Charley and Frances. Charley was rough but quick. I wasn't here for Frances, as I was on vacation. I boarded up this time since Jeanne looks quite unpredictable. Everything should be OK, I hope. :)
  • Options
    crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    Funny this subject came up since I was looking at tires (albeit 18s) in this month's C&D and R&T. There aren't very many choices for 20s, but 18s are quite plentiful.
  • Options
    msu79gt82msu79gt82 Member Posts: 541
    I do not have personal experience with Falken Tires (hence my question); however all I have heard are good things. I first learned about them regarding replacement tires for our MDX. Perhaps this size (for the FX) is new enough to make finding reviews difficult, but general reviews for other sizes are readily available.
  • Options
    jpiatchekjpiatchek Member Posts: 177
    40k on the tires! I agree. Fantastic! At 18k mine are looking pretty thin. Don't think they'll get past 25k. In fact, not sure I've ever gotten more than 30k on any car from a set. Then again, I guess I have to own them that long to know! LOL
  • Options
    jpa300jpa300 Member Posts: 8
    I just took the FX35 out for a test drive and loved it. I have a question about the nav system. After I had set it and hit the voice activation the screen went blank during my drive. It continued to track but I had no idea where I was. Is this a safety feature so you don't look at the screen or is there a way to turn it on with the voice prompt. This would drive me nuts wondering where I am during my drive. I would like to see where I am as well as listening for the prompts.
  • Options
    It looks like it was set to switch off. This isn't the standard setting and is easily changed so the map stays on all the time.
  • Options
    Last Friday I ordered a new set of Goodyear RS-A 265/50/20 (Original FX45 Tires) from Discount Tire.
    Guess What?
    Still Waiting!
    Yesterday, I got a call from the manager who called Goodyear.
    They haven't made these for a while and need to ramp up production. It seems that there are only a few vehicles using this tire, and a heck of a lot of demand has occurred as loads of FXs need their first tire replacement.
    DT is searching every store around to see if a set is available.
    If not, they will make me a deal on choice #2, which is the B.F. Goodrich KDW at about $237 each (Costco's current price).
    Costco has just changed their policy. They will no longer install tires purchased outside. So much for the Tire Rack approach. I prefer the care Costco takes in mounting aluminum wheels. They will actually hand start the lug nuts and hand torque them as well. Discount once jammed and crossthreaded my mag wheel lug nuts by using an air wrench to start the nut. Not a good idea. It took me about 200lbs to remove. Luckily, it wasn't on the side of the road with a flat.
    It's not a bad idea to check the installer's work with a torque wrench.
  • Options
    GischpelGischpel Member Posts: 133
    The Tire Rack has RS-A's in stock at $192/tire. I've had great experiences with them and my local installer.
  • Options
    Got a call from Discount Tire and they had a set Fed-Exed in from Northern Calif. Luckily, someone cancelled a set and the other store was glad to unload.
    Now I have the problem with the pressure sending transmitter being recognized as the order of wheel placement was changed. One wheel is spitting out 34 lbs but the flat tire signal light is still on.
    I understand the dealer can "reassign" or reset but can this be done by the consumer? Thanks
  • Options
    It needs a "Consult" unit to reset the monitors so it's probably is going to need a dealer visit.
  • Options
    fxguyfxguy Member Posts: 132
    I test drove an 04 fx35 with the 18 inch wheels today. I must say that i found the ride to be quite harsh. Is there anyway that you guys know to make this thing ride a little less harsh? Do i have to invest in some other type of tire or will i just have to deal with it?
  • Options
    toplss68chevtoplss68chev Member Posts: 2
    I too have had my FX35 in for multiple sunroof repairs to no avail. I finally gave up and contacted the BBB under the lemon law. The dealership that I had the repairs performed at acted as if they had never heard of any problems.
  • Options
    Make sure that the dealer has set the tire pressures correctly. The car is shipped with 40-45 psi in the tires.
    The FX35 is an SUV with the emphasis on sport. If you find the ride harsh on the 18" and the tire pressures are correct then it may not be the car for you. Try an FX and an RX at speed through a set of twisties and you'll see why the FX feels so firm.
  • Options
    ccapccap Member Posts: 40
    Just sold my BMW 540i and figured that I would get an FX45 because I want performance and espically All Wheel drive. The New england winters wrecked havoc on the Bimmer and I was sliding all over the place.

However, I just a good hour with the vehicle and for one that was very excited about the the purchase, I came away wondering if this is a good purchase. The biggest thing I am havinf trouble with is the ride. It is very stiff and sometimes unforgiving. Also for things that Infiniti does so well, others it does so bad. For example the arm rests were rattling like crazy when I was going over bumps. They are cheap plastic. While the buttons feel pretty good to the touch.

Just wondering if anyone has felt the same about the ride and if they have decided to buy and feel happy about there decision or have decided on another all wheel drive vehicle.
  • Options
    Firebird_EOUFirebird_EOU Member Posts: 250
    Or do we need special tires for the TPMS?
    Also what month does Infiniti come out with their annual DVD nav update?
  • Options
    colecole Member Posts: 67
    My wife and I were all set to get an FX35 last week. We went to the dealer for one final, extended, test drive. We were gone for 1 hour... Halfway through the test drive, my but was killing me!

We passed on the FX. It's really a shame b/c it's a beautiful vehicle.
  • Options
    tedcruisertedcruiser Member Posts: 50
    If you want a "cushy" ride don't buy the FX. FX is for folks that want a performance driven ride and to "feel" the road. I have the FX w/Touring (18 inch wheels) and the ride is just right for me. My wife thinks it too rough but she doesn't ride with me often enough to make it a deal breaker. The rattles in the center armrests are very easily fixable and shouldn't make you decide not to purchase the vehicle. If you get the AWD with 20 inch wheels your ride will be slighty stiffer than mine, which I wouldn't personally want it any stiffer.
  • Options
    jpa300jpa300 Member Posts: 8
    Just got this from a dealer who has been looking for the FX35 I want. Do you guys think it's a good deal? I was thinking of telling him to add clear bra, mats and splash guards and closing the deal.

There is a 2004 FX35 AWD, copper/brick-black, premium, tech., sport. The MSRP is $44,060. I'll make things simple & easy, they will need at least $800 over invoice($39,561) to put this deal together. That would be them blowing the car out at $400 over invoice and then adding $400 to have the vehicle shipped to us.
  • Options
    What about adding Sirius SAT?
  • Options
    pyro2pyro2 Member Posts: 4
    This weekend I priced out a 2004 Tech,Touring,Sport. and Chrome rims. $700 under invoice. Or I can go $500 over invoice on a 2005.
  • Options
    carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    Get the '05 for $500 over invoice. It'll pay for itself on less deprecitaion than the '04 and probably be more refined with previous "bugs" having been worked-out.
  • Options
    infifxinfifx Member Posts: 10
    I also got a quote for 2004FX 35 AWD with touring for around $635 under invoice in NJ. The dealer won't commit to 2005 pricing yet. Which state did you get the quote in.
  • Options
    sib715sib715 Member Posts: 15
    I purchased my 04 FX last month in Atlanta, Sport, Tech, chrome wheels-1500 under invoice, BUT $500 doc prep fee,so it was effectively 1200 under
  • Options
    sib715sib715 Member Posts: 15
    Yhe DVD update is available: http://www.zenrin.com/
  • Options
    pyro2pyro2 Member Posts: 4
    I got the quote for $500 over in the state of MN
  • Options
    infifxinfifx Member Posts: 10
    I also got a quote for 2004FX 35 AWD with touring for around $635 under invoice in NJ. The dealer won't commit to 2005 pricing yet. Which state did you get the quote in.
  • Options
    miamia Member Posts: 12
    Got a price of $1k under invoice on an '04 w/ AWD, Touring/Tech/Sat Radio/Alum. Crossbars/Splash/Cargo
  • Options
    Why don't you guys get on the correct thread. The pricing thread is not here.
  • Options
    OK!! Here is what I did. I purchased an FX45! I love it. Yes it is a harder ride than my old 540, but this thing is a BLAST to drive. The dealer gave me a car for a couple of days to make sure. The handling, and power on this thing is great and beacasue of the ride, you feel better connected to the road.

At first I thought I would not be able to handle it, but I love every inch of it!!

And being 6'4" tall, I actually fit better in this car than my 540 and an X5 which I was also thing of getting. GLad I didn't. Having WAY TOO MUCH FUN in my FX45.

Hey, does anyone know of other forums that are all about the FX45? Looking to join. Thanks! :)
  • Options
    Prepare to see this disappear! :(
  • Options
    Tell me why you say that???
  • Options
    What Rough Ride? Hey. it's a Sports Car with a Backpack, not a [non-permissible content removed] SUV like a Lexus RX3--. FXes separate the Men from the Girls. Or as Arnold says..."the girlie men".
    When people ask me to compare a XXX SUV with the FX, I say "too fast, too hard, too small". You need a Tahoe or Lexus, the Camry (appliance) of SUVs. (OK, maybe the Avalon of SUVs).
    The FX is for men who still have testosterone (and women who have some also.)
  • Options
    Because his post did! (Disappear that is).
  • Options
    krokro Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know of an FX car club in the Virginia or mid Atlantic area? Thanks
  • Options
    Just a quick pointer for those not familiar with the board rules. Edmunds will delete any post that mentions any other forum by name.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Rules of the Road

Steve, Host
  • Options
    tonka9764tonka9764 Member Posts: 21
    I haven't read this entire forum, but I've heard that 14mpg is the standard in city mileage... is it reall THAT bad?? I am enthralled by the FX, but man, that's BAD. It's not the $$, it's just the wastefulness of it.
  • Options
    Depends what model your referring too. I am getting pretty much what it is rated at for a FX35 - 16 city, 22plus highway.
  • Options
    2fastdre2fastdre Member Posts: 59
    So 2005 Pathfinder 4.0 liter V6 is being rolled out. Can this engine fit into the FX engine bay? Will Infinity offer a 4.0 V6? I imagine that they can get 300 HP from it without problems. The current 3.5 V6 puts out 280 HP.

Any thoughts?

2FastDre.
  • Options
    quattroquattro Member Posts: 110
    I hear you and that's one of the reasons I'm planning to get a FX35 rather than a FX45. The FX35 does 16/22 and that's not too bad for a 4WD SUV with such a powerful engine. My 4WD Audi A4 only gives marginally better mileage and that's a much smaller car with only 80 less hp.
  • Options
    bayareafx45bayareafx45 Member Posts: 19
    Has anyone upgraded their FX45 with a performance CHIP to increase HP and Torque ? Or has anyone come out with a Supercharger ? Thanks
  • Options
    Try http://www.stillen.com. They do a lot of Infiniti performance parts.
  • Options
    I have a 45 and there are lots of parts for the 35 (due to the ubiquitous V-6) but few for the 45.
    This may change with the new M45 but all the aftermarket manufacturers consider the FX45 customer base to be too small and not oriented toward DIY/Performance Mods. In short, the FX45 owner base has different demo/psychographics than the FX35 owner. For instance, the FX45 is more likely to be leased, owners are more well-heeled and older - which are not good stats for modding.