Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti FX45 Infiniti FX35

Comments

• dantedante Member Posts: 92
    Fletcher Jones on Clark.
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    Well I just drove my FX from Houston to LA with a firend of mine. It will be living in LA for the next couple of months. The car performed flawlessly we averaged over 73 mph for the entire trip. We were probably cruising in the 80-90 mph range the majority of the time.

We each did 4-6 hour trips behind the wheel while the other one slept. We arrived in San Diego (a interim stop) in about 21 hours including a 1.5 hour nap at a rest stop.

Had to say it was one of the easiest road trips I ever made. No back pain little fatiguge and a great ride. My only wish is that we had XM or Sirrus installed for the trip. We got about 21.5 mpg for the trip using a mixture of mid and regular. I am so impressed with this car as at 30k+ miles it has been the best car I have owned.
  • fx35awdfx35awd Member Posts: 218
    Hi Clpurnell, so it is okay to use regular (87) and mid (89) grade gasoline and it would not void the guarantee or damage the car engine? I read in the manual regarding type of fuel to use and from what I got out of it is I can pretty much use any grade of gasoline just as long as it is unleaded. Is this true? Please clarify for. Thank you.
  • GischpelGischpel Member Posts: 133
    yes, you can use any grade as long as it is unleaded. I run 87, 89 and 93 octane depending on price and plans for driving (lots of local vs. highway). I have had no issues with any grade, but definitely notice the power difference with 93. I thought I read somewhere that premium produces something like 30 or 40 more HP than regular. That seems hard to believe. I wish I could recall the source...
    you can use any gas. A while back a few of us FX owners got together and did some 0-60 runs. We found that with 87 vs 93 there was a .3-.5 difference 0-60. So you give up some power but nowhere near 30-40 hp I would say 5-15 max. i ran premium for a long time and switched to reg and mid grade and have had 0 problems and the car still flies.
    Thanks Gischpel and Clpurnell for your responses. That is a sign of relieve since the gasoline price is on the rise again, especially in California. My mistake is I bought two SUVs. The other one is a Honda Pilot EX-L that gets only 17-19 mpg.

Thanks again.
  • aphyltonaphylton Member Posts: 1
    When are they going to redesign this truck? I am in the market for one, but do not want to purchase one if it will be redesigned in the next year.
    I bought, and love, an FX 35 AWD (2004) with everything including the sport package which means I have the 20 inch wheels. When I test drove the car I was on good roads and the ride felt fine as I like a firm ride. However, my wife, who did not test drive the car and has now fallen for my FX, has noted that the ride is too harsh on our bad roads. I don't want to give up the 20 inch wheels as I love the grip and look. But can the suspension be modified safely? Or can a different tire, maybe one with a higher profile, be put on the car so as to soften the ride? Anyone try any of these options? Thanks, Jon B.
    I also have a Pilot EX-L RES in addition to my FX. The Pilot lives in Texas. While I have my FX with me while I'm here in Sunny California. The 2.17 for regualr is a lot higher than the 1.70 I pay at home.
    I find the ride better with my cooper tires but if I were you I would pick up a set of 18's if your roads are that bad. i live in a warm climate so the streets are ok. If I still lived up north no matter how I like the 20's I would have gone for the 18's but in 2003 if you wanted tech you didn't have a choice.
    I recommend you get a set of 18" wheels. Also, it's not a good a idea if you keep the 20" and use higher profile tires because it can change your speedometer reading when you change the outside diameter. I have the stock 18" on mine and the ride is fine. Good luck!
  • vanhalenabevanhalenabe Member Posts: 20
    Hi everyone, this is my first post on this board. To give you a little background, I currently own a Mazda MX-6 and my wife drives an Acura MDX. We have a 14 month baby girl, and it is getting very difficult for me to get her in and out of the car seat, if I have to pick her up.

So, I'm in the market for a new vehicle. I had wanted to stay with a manual transmission -- I don't have traffic in my commute and prefer the fun and feel of a manual transmission.

Anyway, I had narrowed the choice down to the Acura TL 6MT and the Infiniti G35 Sedan with 6MT. After weighing all of the pros and cons, I decided to go with the G35.

Then came the baby car seat test, in which the G35 did not do well. The TL has a latch position in the center, so you can place a rear-facing car seat in the middle and still have room for 2 adults on the outside positions. The G35 does not have this.

I then tried to put the rear-facing car seat behind the drivers seat and the passengers seat. Even with the seats adjusted to my short 5'8" frame, I found that I had to move the seats too far forward in the G35. The Acura was a tiny bit better in this regard. Since my heart was set on the G35, I was very disappointed in this.

We only have one child now, but hope to have a second one in the future. Meaning that we will probably have both a forward facing toddler seat and a rear facing infant seat in the back. So, I really need a vehicle that can accomodate both.

This brings me to small SUV's. I test drove both the Infiniti FX35 and the Lexus RX330. The Lexus is more practical, but I really prefer the looks and sporty feel of the FX35. I preferred the control and feel of the FX35 sport suspension, with the 20" wheels, even though the ride was a tad harsher. I live in Dallas, and a RWD car with big wheels will rarely have weather issues to contend with.

I would appreciate any advice, especially with regards to the baby car seats, that would help me make my decision. If there are any parents of young children out there that have faced a similar problem recently, I would appreciate your input.

I have checked out the Infiniti Snugkids website, but it does not say anything about how to put a car seat in the center position.

One thought is to go with the my first choice, the G35. The problems with the infant car seat will only be for the first couple of years. After which the baby will be in a forward-facing car seat that the G35 can easily accomodate. Do I rule out my #1 choice just because of a car seat? Like I said, I was very disappointed when the G35 did not do well with the car seats. I'm beginning to think that all mid-size sedans will have this problem.

Sorry for the long email. Thanks.
    Another option other than new wheels and tires is to try adding a Strut Tower Brace or strut bar. I put a Stillen STB on mine and it made a world of difference with the 20" tires. It seems to glide over bumps that used to shake my bones and it handles even better than before.

2003 FX35 AWD
  • taks1taks1 Member Posts: 1
    sorry to hear about your problems with the G35. i own one myself and have a little one as well. we never had an issue putting a car-seat in the back behind the passenger. perhaps it is the style of seat you are using? of course, as large as i am (6'3") there is no hope of putting the seat behind the driver's side... either way, now that tiny is in a front facing seat, there are no issues whatsoever.
    How much did you pay for your Stillen strut bar and where did you buy it at? I was thinking about getting one for my FX35 as well. Please let me know. Thanks!

Any recommendation for the Stillen intake system.
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    vanhalenabe,

i did not get a chance to use infant seats in our FX35, mainly because my twins were already in forward-facing convertible seats by the time we bought our FX.

there are no specific LATCH anchors in the 2nd row middle position. if attaching a rear-facing infant-only child seat using LATCH, the inner anchors of each side will need to be used. now, there are limitations to doing this because the space between anchors should not exceed a certain length. this seems to vary depending on the child seat itself. so, consult your manual or call the manufacturer.

currently, my twins use britax marathons. both seats are in the outboard positions. i have not tried to put one in the middle and the other in one of the outboard positions, but i'm sure that it won't fit. actually, no adult can ride in the middle seat with the 2 seats in place. previously, we were using britax roundabouts and i was able to place one in the middle when we needed to seat someone, but i don't recommend it.

also, you will find that infant-only seats will last you for so many months only. you do want to invest on a good toddler seat since your child will be using this for a while.

as for the tl, i don't think it has LATCH anchors in the middle seat also. Per TL occupant protection, it says There are 3-point shoulder/lap belts at every seat, and both outboard rear seats are LATCH-compatible. You may have used the inner anchors of both outboard positions when you evaluated the TL.
    i apologise for my ignorance (and thank you for the recommendation) but what is a strut bar and will it really improve the ride? Can the dealer install it? Thanks! Jon B.
    I replied to this once (post 2471), but think it was deleted because I posted the URL of another web site in my message.

I paid $175 shipped from Grubbs on 1/31/05. The price has gone up to about $200+ shipped. Stillen raised their prices.

(HOST/MODERATOR - It would be nice to be alerted when a post is deleted, so we know and know why. Just deleting it doesn't keep me from doing the same thing if I don't know why you deleted it in the first place.)
    A strut bar is a basically piece of metal that links the front strut towers together. It has greatly improved the ride quality and reduced the impact of bumps. I noticed it immediately when I drove out my driveway and dropped down onto the road. Before it felt like I was dropping a foot and now it feels like a few inches.

A dealer could install it, but that would be a waste of money. It took me 20 minutes to install it with a socket set and large allen wrench (you could substitute pliers or vice grips here). You take off six nuts, drop on the mounting brackets, fit the bar between the brackets and install the bolts, tighten the brackets, tighten the bolts on the bar, and you are done. There are pictures that come with the bar that show everything. I am not much of a mechanic and still managed to do it right.
  • cppcpp Member Posts: 33
    I feel your pain. Some of the rear-facing seats can totally rule out certain cars, and the FX isn't the best in that regard. The rear surface of the front seatbacks is concave, which gives surprising knee room for rear-seat passengers. However, at shoulder height the seat curves back, which means there's not much room for a rear-facing seat. That being said, we found a Peg Perego seat/stroller combo that left enough room for my wife (5'5") to sit comfortably. At 6'3", I didn't spend much time in the passenger seat...
    Another issue we found was that the LATCH anchors were too high for the rear-facing seat. When I tightened the tethers, it would still allow the base to pivot back against the seat back rather than securing it to the seat bottom cushion. With the child seat itself installed, I could get it fairly stable by reclining the seat and cinching down on the straps, but then the seat wouldn't pop in and out of the base. Tried several different seats, and never did find one that really satisifed me. Finally bought the Perego, and made a wedge-shaped plywood insert that elevated the seat base and let it sit further back, which helped immensely. Snugkids is a nice idea, but I didn't really find much correlation to reality.

I'm a pretty big fan of the FX, but don't rule out the G35 just yet. We tried lots of seats when our oldest was born, and found a rear-facing seat with a very small base that worked in our M3 convertible (previous generation, so even less room than current). Again, the passenger seat had to be scooted up quite a bit, but my wife was still comfortable. We shopped at Babies R Us, and they let me take seats out in the parking lot and try them out. It's alittle different for you since you're still deciding on a car. A pitstop at B-R-Us might not be the car salesman's ideal test drive, but hey, a sale's a sale...
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I sent you a form letter this morning to the address listed in your profile. But all you need to know is in the Rules of the Road link at the top of the discussions. Send me an email and I'll try again.

Steve, Host
    Thanks! Just bought the Stillen Strut bar from Grubbs for $184.99. Look forward to installing it and testing it out. Jon B.
    Gischpel, thank you for your response!

Do you or anyone has any recommendation for the aftermarket intake system, like the one from Stillen. From my experience, these after market intake systems appear to help get better gas mileage and not to mention the increase of some horse power. What do you think?

I also found a couple of other websites that sell after market for our Infiniti in case you don't know of them yet, here they are:

http://accessories.accessoriesgiant.com/?x=311&y=42

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=AccessoryCatalog&catalogid=3485&si- teid=55&categoryID=47929
    Steve,

My address is correct in my profile, but I didn't get your e-mail. No need to re-try as I checked the Rules of the Road.
    fx35awd,

Thanks for the links.

Some people swear by the intake systems. They seem to know a lot more than I do about performance mods, so my guess is the intake upgrade must add to the performance. Personally, I prefer the $40 air filter over the $200 intake mod, but that's me.
  • surffishingsurffishing Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2004 FX 45 premium with tech and twentys chrome that is. This so called AWD system sucks. You have great forward traction but when it comes to turning, the computer doesn't have the front wheels pulling in bad weather there for they just slide like a two wheel drive tank from the seventy's. If there was a way to re-program the snow mode to lock it full time all wheel drive in bad weather that would be great. Instead of the snow mode going back to rear wheel after 15 MPH...

Other then what is said above, I love the damn thing.
  • bromley22bromley22 Member Posts: 10
    On my 04 FX35 AWD, tech,tour - no sport, only getting 17 mpg hiway/city combined. only 18mpg on pure hiway. if I jump on it much it drops to 14 city. Tires are at 34-35psi, run premium gas. I've seen people getting 18 city/ 22hiway. Anyone else only getting what I am? Any suggestions?
    I have an FX35 AWD with the twentys... and that's pretty much what I get too. 14 in the city, 18/19 on the expressway. Not exactly fuel efficient. Fortunately, I walk to work so use the car for weekend driving only and considering the grin factor when you stomp on it, I can deal with that...
  • baj1106baj1106 Member Posts: 8
    Im seriously looking at the FX35 and wondering what are the pros and cons of combining touring pkg only; touring and sport; AWD or 2 wheel drive? I drove the 2WD touring pkg and it was ok. Live in Fla so dont need AWD for snow (duh now!) but does it improve safety / handling? any thoughts?
    In my opinion, AWD is good for any slippery surfaces, e.g., rain, sand, etc... not just limited to snow. And it does rain in Florida!
  • srr3306srr3306 Member Posts: 12
    I have the same setup you have, and live in the city. AWD+short gearing+jumpy electronic throttle= poor urban gas mileage. In the cold, mine can go down to 12. The only saving grace is that my driving habits only force me to shell out $40 at the pump twice a month. Your 18 on the highway surprises me. I can nurse 21-22 on the turnpike, along with a pass from the cops, by setting the cruiser on 74. All I can say is be VERY gentle with the right foot and switch to regular if the $4 a tank makes a difference to you. I have found it works fine, but prefer to use at least mid-grade myself for when I really need to lean on it.
  • rusty8rusty8 Member Posts: 1
    Yes, the manufacturer now has new software that they can download to repair the problem.
  • sxrxrrsxrxrr Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone had the dealer install the bluetooth on their 35?...we just bought an 05 fx35awd and are considering it...wondering what experiecnces had been reported?....
  • sxrxrrsxrxrr Member Posts: 2
    Anyone know how to hack the GPS so it can be programmed by the passenger when moving?...it would seem that Infiniti and others could take a hint from Hertz Neverlost and allow it....or build a sensor into the passenger seat to overide the"safety" feature that does not allow it...anyone had this done?...
    I have been getting the same mileage as you from the beginning of the purchase. City/highway combine is around 17 mpg (on highest grade of gasoline) as well considering I am very gentle on the gas pedal to the point that people behind me just move to the left or right and then cut me off. I just switch to 89 hopefully the mpg will improve so I have read some past posting this might help, I hope I remember it correctly. Oh well, please let me know if you figure how to improve on your mpg as I will do the same once I figure it out.
  • stevefx45stevefx45 Member Posts: 17
    I have had the same experience. The first snowstorm I turned the wheel, car went straight -fortunately no other cars around but I learned not to trust the car in snow.

Only real fix is real snow/winter tires but they don't make them to fit our tires which measn $1500 to tirerack.com for 17" wheel/tire combo.

I saw a rumour on another site that Dunlop was coming out with a 20" winter tire so I'll wait and hope for that. Otherwise I may have to go with separate wheels and tires from Decemebr to March.
  • ayenewayenew Member Posts: 11
    Folks,

I am new Edmunds forums but have tried to read quite a few posts (100+) before writing this. Sorry if this issue was addressed. Please advise.

I am from Chicago were 6 months out of the year we live under weatherperson threat of snow. I am sold on the FX. I love the look/feel of FX45 (yes, I test drove) but turned off by requirements of premium gas requirement, teens of miles to gallon and gas prices jumping quick. Plus I have a V6 today that earns me plenty of speeding tickets – no need for a V8. So, I THINK I want a FX 35 (test drove that too – and loved it).

Hence, I set out to pick up a used 2004 FX35 with AWD+Sport+Tech where not only are they proving almost impossible to find, notes on this forum regarding problems in handling 20inch tires under snowy conditions was making me pause to reconsider. Then, I ran into someone in my condo that bought a 2005 FX35 w/Sport in January this year. Person drove car over all the bad snow so far this year and claims ZERO PROBLEMS and superior handling. Well aware that people who posted their stories about 2004 cars were for real, would my assumption correct that Infiniti modified the snow handling for this vehicle to make it more stable under slippery/snowy conditions? Please advise. I have become a bit of a fence sitter. If that is true, my answer might lie in a 2005 vehicle. Thank you in advance for your input.
  • struct32struct32 Member Posts: 1
    Hi fellow FXers! I love my 2003 FX35(well, actually it's my wife's ride, even though I work 80 hours a week).

Looking for anyones experience with purchasing replacement tires for the factory 20" Good Years.

I would like an all-season performance tire with adequate handling, speed rating, and most importantly -- I'M LOOKING FOR MORE THAN 30,000 MILES of treadwear. And maybe a softer ride. Am I delusional?

Any thoughts? Good experiences or bad? I've looked at Falken, Hankook and a few others.

Appreciate your time....Scott
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Welcome aboard, Scott!

While you're waiting for a reply here you might want to drop in on the tire specific Tires, tires, tires discussion where you can pick up good tips and info.

tidester, host
    I found this recommendation on some bulletin board and saved it for future reference:

Since I haven't seen very many posts about tire replacement for All Season, I figured I would put my two cents in.
    After getting 37,400 miles out of the stock 20" Goodyears, I needed to replace the them. As most of you know, there are about 5 options for high performance all-season tires.
    After much consideration, I opted for the Toyo Proxes ST. All I can say is wow. These tires make a huge difference. The ride is much better than the Goodyears. 80 feels like 60. Absolutely no road noise. Since we have had only 11" of snow in MN this year, I haven't tested deep snow performance but it has to be better than the Goodyears. The tread is much more aggressive and match the looks of the FX better.
    They are not cheap at $1200 installed but so far they are worth the extra $$$ over the Goodyears. Highly recommended.
  • slummyjslummyj Member Posts: 57
    Did you buy these tires locally. I have only 18,500 on my '03, but eventually it will need new tires. I would like to buy them from a local dealer if possible. You must not be in the southern metro area-otherwise last week you would have had a chance to drive in snow. Of course this week the melting snow is making a mess of the Infiniti-well it's keeping the car washes busy.
  • steven123steven123 Member Posts: 5
    Hi
    I am interested in the FX35
    how is the performance difference between RWD , AWD in regular, snow, and weather.
    Which one is worth the price, and I've heard the FX RWD handles fairly good in snow conditions,
    thank you-
    steven
    Personally, if you even have a chance of getting snow, I would only consider AWD. And AWD is not only good for snow but for any slick conditions. It is worth the money in my view.
  • ffb13ffb13 Member Posts: 181
    just got back from fla and into my place in connecticut.
    1400 miles

at under 65 mph the fx delivered 24 to 26 mpg

at under 75 it dropped to 22

at under 80 it dropped to 21

at under 90 ,usually 80 to 90 cruising it went to 20.4 mpg.

overall mpg with driving at 80 minimun most of the trip and peaks into 90 with 30 % cruising at 85 mph it gave a total average of 20.7

and by the way,i was not the fastest on the road.

now that i am here i read that we will get snow tonite.
    Really?!?....WOW!..you are getting more than the manufacturer posted number for highway.......you are getting 24 to 26? I am trying to get to 20 mpg on freeway and I can't. My average is only around 16-17 and I do not rev it up I keep it under 4000 rpm. Tell me your tricks.
    take yours in and have your timing adjusted. I have always gotten over 20 mpg in highway driving and on my trip out to So Cal got almost 22 at an avg speed of 76 mph. My in town mpg has never been under 16. Are you up north or in CA. It could be the gas. I know in Chicago in the winter (oct - apr) my gas mileage was terrible. Also out here in CA I am only getting around 16 mpg in my daily driving while back in texas I was around 17-18 mpg. I alsoo drive fairly aggressive.
    Hi clpurnell, will this timing adjusted cost me anything or the dealer will do it for me for free under warrantee? What is this timing adjusted, lowering the rpm or something? I am sorry I am familiar with the term. I too live in California and I usually pump Shell and some time Chevron. I have avoided 76 since their gasoline smells bad and I get less mileage out per gallon when I use their gasoline at any grade. This happens on my Honda Pilot and old Acura CL Type S.
  • texasfx35texasfx35 Member Posts: 65
    I have had similar experiences. The key is speed and conservative acceleration. I made a round trip to Houston today starting with a full tank. Driving 67 mph on the freeway and with about 5 miles of city driving, my avg mpg on return was 25.9 according to the system readout. I consistently get 17-18 mpg in my suburban residence. No doubt about it though, the FX mpg is very sensitive to lead feet. I have also found that the best way to get a true mpg is to do the calculation yourself at fill-up. The algorithm used to calculate the avg mpg (not instantaneous mpg) must have a term that factors in current usage and extrapolates from there. For example, with 3/4 tank of gas gone and an average of 18 mpg, if you drive it hard for a minute or two, the mpg may fall to 14 mpg. Drive sanely from there on and the mpg will ease back to close to the original mpg. I don't think a minute or two of fun in 6 hours of driving will have that effect on an average mph unless the calculation is not straightforward.
    It shouldn't cost you anything. Complain about your mileage and they should adjust your timing two degrees. An AWD owner in texas had this done and he said it did help. However seeing you are in California I think it has more to do with the fuel here. I drove my FX from texas here while I am working here and have experienced a 10-15% decrease in my mpg. I also have a honda pilot and that thing even in texas gets about 13-15 mpg on a good day it may go up to 18 mpg on the highway. I feel for you though as last night it cost me 49.60 (87) to fill up my FX while in Houston it would usually be in 36-38 dollar range.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    The algorithm used to calculate the avg mpg (not instantaneous mpg) must have a term that factors in current usage and extrapolates from there.

I think they use a simple running average so it's not really an extrapolation.

tidester, host