Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti FX45 Infiniti FX35

Comments

• steve38steve38 Member Posts: 11
    Our FX35 hada a very small rock hit the condsor, causing a small leak, and now it needs to be replaced. However, after talking to two service mgrs about this issue, they state the replace these ALL THE TIME because of rocks. This is a very very obvious design issue, which should be covered under warranty.

Who else has experienced this problem?
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    No I did not purchase the extended warranty - never have on any of the vehicles that I've owned. So far no problems after 45,000 miles, and I have a great deal of confidence in this car. I plan to keep it another 3-5 years, so I hope my confidence is well-founded.

My FX45 is an '03, so the ipod and bluetooth were not options when I bought it. I also have not given the wood dash kit serious consideration, as I like the stock look, but this is obviously a matter of personal preference. My previous cars (both Audi's) had lots of wood and were a little more on the luxurious side as far as their interiors were concerned. I bought the FX45 primarily for its performance, unique styling and towing capability (I have an 18 foot fishing boat).

Best of luck in your decision.
  • msu79gt82msu79gt82 Member Posts: 541
    I have yet to take my FX35 on a real "extended" road trip. However the best I have been able to do in mixed suburban driving is ~18.5. Short highway trips suggests low 20s should be reasonable.
  • fx35awdfx35awd Member Posts: 218
    One time I went to San Diego and going between 70-80 mph on the freeway. I get around 23.5 mpg occasionally with the AC on. I hope this help in your decision making. You can actually get tad bit more if you pump 87 octane.
  • dantedante Member Posts: 92
    if I keep my right foot off the accelerator and accelerate gingerly, best I get is 21 mpg on highway, 14/16 in the city. I would look elsewhere if you have a long commute and are on a budget... sorry.
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    mrlover, you are absolutely right. doors are likely not to open or at least, will be hard to open, when vehicle is immersed in water. and yes, rolling down the windows is a better idea. however...if the FX is immersed in water and the power windows won't roll down because the vehicle is immersed in water (i dunno, the power cut out, as an example), what's the option at that point? i think the design is such because the windows are not likely to roll down? i'm not really sure, just guessing.

I was surprised by your 'car in motion' experiment. i would have expected what you expected, that the doors should not be opened, if locked, while the vehicle is in motion. i am reviewing the manual as i type this. so far, i have not seen anything explaining this door locking/opening behavior. these locks ARE weird.
    The FX is not, what I would consider, a commuter car for someone on a budget. having said that, the best mpg that i got on our FX35 was 24mpg highway. i constantly average 18mpg city/highway.

there really isn't a good choice in SUVs as commuter cars, imho. that is, unless you consider the toyota highlander hybrid. but then, the premium paid for the highlander hybrid would pay for quite a bit of gas, if we take a regular highlander into account. then, there's the battery disposal thing 7 years down the road for the hybrid. i hear new batteries are around $5K. :)

if you really want a commuter car that provides good mileage, vehicles like the new Civic or the Jetta TDI are better options, imo. good luck on your search.
    Actually, if you must have an SUV you can settle for smaller ones like the Toyota RAV 4, Honda Element or CRV where you can get in the low 20's mpg. But yeah, I agree with Crikey, you want a commute car in the mid 20's and beyond that you got to go with a car not an SUV. Unless you want to buy a hybrid SUV which do not justify the cost. Keep in mind that the mileage per gallon posted on the sticker is not what you will get most of the time. They obtain these numbers based on some test they did by putting the vehicle on a big drum machine and not your actually day to day driving. I hope this helps. :)
  • tracguytracguy Member Posts: 28
    My 2005 with smart key will not open from the inside when parked when the doors are locked. My 95 Buick also displays the same behavior, they won't open when locked. Having the inside door handle unlock the door from the inside was the common behavior on older cars but I can't site a specific year/model.
  • corine1corine1 Member Posts: 14
    I just spoke to several dealers asking about the 06 models and when they were going to be out. Two of them told me that yesterday they got word that they won't be here until the spring. Maybe Feb or March.....I couldn't wait any longer, so I got a really good deal on the 05. I got the AWD 05, Diamond Graphite with the Graphite leather. It's got Tech/Touring.....oh wow!! This is the most fun I've had driving a car since my sports car days. I'm in total love!

They're still offering the 2.9% financing and I did a purchase instead of the lease. I got the car for $41,500 which was lower than TVM's prices in my area. I'm in central California and I thought this was a fair price. Not the lowest, but still fair. I've owned many SUV'S and this by far is the most fun. The biggest disappointment I've ever had in an SUV was an 06 Range Rover that I'm pursuing the lemon law on. It's been in the shop 6 times in 2.5 months and is a piece of junk. The suspension went out, the air went out and many, many other things. It needs to go back again for another computer problem...Whew, what a nightmare..I may take this one in the shorts since it hasn't been in the shop 4 times for the same problem, it's been one thing after another, but how much should a person take?
    Anyway, just wanted to post to let you all know that I'm thrilled beyond my expectations.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Congrats! Please report on your deal over in the Infiniti FX45 / FX35: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion too. Thanks,

Steve, Host
    Congratulation! You can't beat that price. You got a good deal there. Enjoy your new car.
    Yes, you got a lot of car for the money there - congrats. When I bought mine 2 1/2 years ago, it came down to do I get the added power, and possibly a little more driving refinement, with the FX45 Premium Pkg only, or do I get a fully loaded(including Tech Pkg) FX 35. Back then, the cost of the two were very similar, and I was trying to keep the total out-the-door price to about $45,000. Although I don't have any regrets about buying the FX45 - it's been fabulous and I get many compliments to this day - it would still be nice to have the Nav and the back-up camera, plus the slightly better mileage, if I had gone the other way. Although I haven't checked recently, there used to be a huge premium to get the Tech Pkg, which came bundled with the DVD player for the back seat, plus some other things that for me were non-essentials.

Anyway, congratulations and enjoy your new vehicle. There is NO DOUBT you will have a much better ownership experience with Infiniti than you've had with Range Rover!
  • tttornadotttornado Member Posts: 2
    Hi all - I just joined the forum as I discovered it while trying to determine what type of tires to buy. I have a 2003 FX45 with about 25K miles, and will need tires very soon. Being a woman, I'm not exactly sure what I need, and don't want to leave that 100% to the person selling me the tires.

I live in Houston, where temps in the summer are 90-100F consistently, and we really don't have a winter, but avg winter temps are around 50 degrees, maybe we get a couple of 30 or 40 degree days, but not many. And of course, we have zero snow or ice.

My FX has 20" wheels, and I'm still on the original tires. I inquired at a local tire store recently, and was told something about this model needing the "softer" tires that won't last as long, but give a better ride. He recommend Bridgestone something or another. I know tires are important to many aspects of the car, including MPG, quality of ride, etc., so I need to make sure I get the right ones.

By the way, I LOVE this car!!! I think anyone considering a sporty SUV should look at an FX. I only get about 10-12 MPG in the city, but it's SO worth it! It's fun to drive...period. If you want, you can drive it like grandma would and probably get better mileage, but it's truly a sports car, and that's the way I like to drive mine. . Anyway, I considered changing cars instead of buying tires (stupid girl!), and I went out shopping. I drove the X5 and the Benz SUV - neither even came close to giving me the feeling I get in the FX. I also test drove a G35, but it only gets a couple miles per gallon better, so why bother. My FX is loaded with every possible option including navigation, rear view camera, 4WD, intelligent key, too many others to list - and it's SEXY....none of the other cars I drove even came close. Not in this price range anyway. So, I'm keeping my FX!!!! Any help/advice on the tire situation appreciated.

p.s. sorry - don't know how to start a new post, so i just replied to a message that mentioned tires....
    And while you are at it, since it is almost that time of the year, has anyone found a good set of 20 inch snow tires for our FXs? I don't want to buy another set of 18 inch rims, so... Thanks, Jon B.
    When I replaced mine, I went with Fusion ZR-1's from Tire Rack. Very happy with these - much better ride than the Goodyear stock tires, plus they are quieter and they handle just as well, if not better. They are "Ultra High Performance Summer Tires" but in Houston they should be perfect for year-around use. Of the three tires Tire Rack had in stock that would fit the FX45, they were the cheapest, but still the owners' reviews were very positive and in fact are much better than the Goodyear's (note: not all Goodyear's are bad, just like not all Michelin's are good - it depends on the specific tire model and what attributes you are looking for).

You can find the specific tire that I purchased here: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Fuzion&tireModel=ZRi

Then go to "Sizes and Pricing" and look for 265/50VR20 - should be $153 each. For installation/recommended installers in your area, click on "Installation" which is in the toolbar at the top of the page. You can have them shipped directly to whoever you choose.
    I have a set of winter tires, mounted on an extra set of wheels, but they are 18" - better performance in the snow, plus they are cheaper! And when I bought them there were no 20" winter tires available that would fit, so I really didn't have any choice. I am using the Bridgestone Blizzak DM-Z3 (265/60QR18's), also purchased from Tire Rack. They'll go back on in mid-November.
    Hi all,

I just purchased an FX35 and I had a couple of questions about rims. The dealer said they could chrome the ones that came on the car for $1295. Is that a good price or am I better off to go and get new chrome rims? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • pscdocpscdoc Member Posts: 93
    You could do a chrome wheel exchange for half the price. Check out ebay under infiniti for specifics. I have seen alot of these exchanges.
    Oh no, that price is outrageous!! A couple of years back I had ask small company around here in California and they said they would chrome each wheel for $50. If I were you, just look in the yellow page for some company would do your the chroming for you. I forget the type of industrial facility that did, something like nickle plated. I came across it because I had to go on a field trip to this company and they show us how they dispose of chemical waste. I am actually a Civil Engineer so I had to take the waste management class so going to this trip was one of the requirements. I think you should ask around or just surf the internet for a company would do this sort of thing. It's a lot of cheaper than going through the dealer. Good luck. :)
  • tttornadotttornado Member Posts: 2
    JBaumgart, thanks very much for all the info. This will definitely help me!
    Hi again,

Thanks for the replies to my questions, but I have one more...maybe a big problem. My right thigh keeps hitting the top part of seat close to the seat adjustments. It's giving me a welt....I know losing weight would solve the problem, but that's going to take some time! Does anyone know if I can change out the seats in the front and if so, what would happen to the electric adjustments??? I know this is a funny question, but it's the only thing that is driving me nuts. I have to scoot way over to the left so the right thigh doesn't hit the top. It's actually not hitting the top, but leaning on the side of the hard bar... Does this make any sense?? Please help if anyone knows...thanks! My car is an 05 FX
    Just a thought - have you considered buying a seat cover with some padding that would cover the controls? If you are the only driver, I wouldn't think not being able to adjust them would be too much of an issue.
    The 2006 FX moved these seat controls elsewhere. It may be possible to have a 2006 retrofitted, when the vehicle comes out? Just a thought, but I can imagine how difficult it would be to live with. Obviously, it wasn't such a good idea by Infiniti to place those controls where they currently are.

If you complain hard enough, Infiniti might change the seats out but that would be a longshot.
    Hi,

Well, I actually took care of the problem with the seats on the 05 FX, I went back down to the dealer today with 300 miles on my car and they took the car back as "new", the bank hadn't funded the loan yet, so the dealer is going to use it as a demo and they didn't hit me for anything! It was the BEST customer service I had ever had with ANY dealer. This dealer is in central California and they are on the small side (with lots of inventory though) it's called Valley Infiniti in Modesto, CA. I ended up getting an 06 M35 fully loaded. I drove 100 miles home and the seats were wonderful...not to mention, the bluetooth, air conditioned seats, etc...so I'm really very happy.
    Wow, that's over and beyond the norm. Good for them (and good for you!).

Steve, Host
    Although I haven't had to any vehicle exchanges, I have to say that the service from the local Infiniti dealer is the best I've ever experienced. They even beat the service we get from the Lexus dealership (wife's car) in that they are smaller and much more friendly. The Lexus dealer is courteous enough, but very business-like in their approach, whereas everyone I've encountered at the Infiniti dealer really goes out of their way to be extra nice and helpful. A good example is when I drop my car off for routine servicing over the lunch hour, they ask me if I'm going to wait, to which I reply, "I'm going to grab some lunch over at Perkins." They then invariably ask if I need a ride, and when the weather has been poor, I've taken them up on their offer. It's those little things that bring you back for repeat sales, and the new M cars are a definite possibility in a couple of years.
  • petew4petew4 Member Posts: 71
    you may also want to check out the 20 in. Dunlop Grandtrek. I have about 22 K on a set & for a snow tire they are wearing well (I should get about 40 K at this rate), are only slightly noisier than the Eagles, and they look great. About the same price as the Eagles as I recall.
  • cppcpp Member Posts: 33
    You're very fortunate to have a good dealership. I lived in the Virginia Beach area when I purchased my FX, and the dealership (Charles Barker) was the worst I've ever experienced - from sales all the way through service. I'll admit to having high expectations, but not unrealistically so. At the same time, I owned a Durango and an M3. While the Dodge dealer clearly wasn't shooting for the same atmosphere (no free loaner, no fake hardwood floors in the showroom), they still provided prompt, quality service, and the people were very courteous - no complaints from me. The BMW dealer (Checkered Flag) was everything Infiniti claimed to be. They always went the extra mile, did things right the first time and told me up front what the cost would be. With Charles Barker, I seriously doubt there was a single service visit when they didn't try to tack on a surprise additional charge when I picked it up. Truly amazing, but something they can apparently get away with since they're the only dealer within 100 miles or so.
    Awesome! I agree that this is likely the BEST customer service extended that I have ever heard of.
  • ryanm4ryanm4 Member Posts: 7
    I just received a letter from the dealer where I purchased my '04 FX35. It explained that they are in need to used FXs and noted that with the potential trade-in allowances and factory incentives I could basically trade-up for no out-of-pocket $.

I'm sure this is a sales ploy, but has anyone else received anything like this?
    I'm curious if there actually is a shortage of used FXs in the market.
    Which I assume would help them hold their value; a good thing for us!
    Subaru owners tend to get those letters a lot. It's a sales pitch.

Sounds like it may be working. :-) Have fun shopping!

Steve, Host
    I just got back from my Infiniti dealer, was testing an M35x for a client who needs a new company car. The dealer told me that he does not expect the 2006 FXs in until February which means that 2005s and used ones are in high demand... so, could be true? Jon B.
    It is likely that they have a glut of 2005s in their inventory that they need to clear out. With the high cost of fuel, the demand for the FX has likely gone downhill. I think the delay in launching the 2006 model is because there are too many 2005s unsold.
  • cashmoneycashmoney Member Posts: 3
    I have the "cargo area protector" that came with my FX35, but I'm looking for a good cover for the back when I transport my muddy/sandy dog. I've seen some cool ones from Reargear.net and Canvas Back, but they don't make them for the FX. Has anyone found a good one that covers the sides of the cargo area and seatback to keep hair and slobber off my new vehicle?

BTW- If a lot of us request the FX pattern at the Reargear.net site, they might start making it. :shades:

Thanks for any suggestions on where I can find this needed accessory.

Oh, and my wife and I love love love our new Infinity. We traded in our BMW 330CI coupe because we're having a baby in January and we just couldn't make the switch to an SUV that didn't include the sporty ride. The RX was just too bland for us and the X5 didn't have room in the back for the dog. :D
  • cashmoneycashmoney Member Posts: 3
    nmp,

My thoughts are very similar to yours (re..V6 vs. V8, Toureg, etc..). We switched from a BMW Coupe which, I think, is why we took to the car so well. We're almost through the break-in period so I'm looking forward to giving it some gas soon!! :D
  • nmpnmp Member Posts: 19
    Congratulations on purchasing your FX. I am taking my wife for a test drive next week. We have two kids (6 and 2) so we won't outgrow the FX for a few years. I really would like to get a 2006 as I like the rosewood option and the standard back-up camera (a must for downtown Chicago parallel parking). However, the financing deals are attractive for the 2005's....I'll see how low the dealers will go.

In the meantime, be patient during break-in :-)
  • dimakdimak Member Posts: 1
    because you never drove rear wheel drive car before... fx35 has rear wheel drive - that's why the pads on rear wheels go away faster.
    "60 and 90 percent of a vehicle's stopping power comes from the front wheels"

That's for any car (unless hybrids do something different with their regenerative braking systems), according to one of our Tech Center articles.

I don't understand why the FX would be any different, especially in view of the bad rear shocks and bias switch comments as possible causes?

Steve, Host
  • cppcpp Member Posts: 33
    Steve, that was a very polite and subtle reply, and a great example of why your presence is always appreciated...

dimak, kudos for not letting a total lack of knowledge and/or understanding get in the way of responding to a 5 month old post.

Just to reassure those few folks out there who may not have immediately thrown the BS flag, having a rear-drive car is no reason to expect the rear pads to wear out significantly quicker than the fronts.

For the record, my OEM pads survived somewhere in the neighborhood of 30,000 miles, and exhibited about equal wear front and rear - probably around half pad thickness left (before a day on track, but that's a different issue...)
    I wouldn't think there would be much support for replacing pads under warranty at 29k unless you could demonstrate that something was clearly malfunctioning.
    Some possible explanations that spring to mind:
    - Front brakes may need to be bled. If they've got air in the lines, the rears could be doing the brunt of the stopping work. Since the rear pads and rotors are smaller than the fronts, they would wear very quickly if they didn't have any help.
    - If you're using the traction/stability control a lot (either by driving in slippery conditions or really pushing it on pavement), the brakes could be seeing heavy use just to keep everything pointing the right way.
    - This one's a little more speculative, but could it be from braking too lightly? I would assume the front/rear brakes are sized to see approximately equal wear under moderate braking, with a fair amount of weight transfer, so the fronts see the 60-90% of the work as referenced by Steve. If you're "riding" the brakes, all four would see approximately equal load. The fronts are much larger and better able to dissipate heat, so the rears would probably wear faster. I'd be interested in opinions on this one (preferably from someone who knows a bit more than me, and hopefully more substantive than "You've never driven a car with an orange interior before - orange interiors wear out rear brakes.")
  • nmpnmp Member Posts: 19
    ...Just to be contrarian.... While most cars do rely heavily on the fronts, more than a few don't. This was a surprise to me. For example, front-wheel drive (*wink*) VW Passats (and other models derived on that platform from VW, Audi, Skoda etc) proportion most of the braking to go to the REAR discs. The rear brakes thus wear out faster than the front. Check out Passat message boards...when told that our rear brakes needed changing, we all had that "but I thought the front brakes did all the work" look. It isn't a dealer scam either...I had this confirmed by reliable independent shops who also added some other german approportion their braking force preferrably to the rear discs. I actually called VW headquarters...which surprisingly called me back confirming this.

...Not sure why they did this...and not sure if the increase in electronic brake force distribution system will change or continue this "design" feature.
    Now that you mention it, my '89 Voyager minivan had some kind of brake load sensor system hanging underneath the van (I discovered this when I busted it on a fire road to the tune of $200).

FWD minivans are notorious for relying mostly on the front brakes, and I figured that Plymouth was trying to get a few thousand miles out of the front brakes that way but I think really it was a safety thing to keep the rear end from swinging around in a panic stop. My friend at Midas who fixed it had never seen one before.

In 90,000 miles, I never replaced the rear brakes on that van, and I haven't done the rears on my current van which has 105,000 miles on it. But all were/are drums on the rear wheels.

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that Lexus has something like a brake proportioning valve. But I still bet more than half the braking is from the front brakes. Sounds like a good weekend project for some owner to figure out. ;)

Steve, Host
    I'm nearly at 45,000 miles on my FX45, and still on the original pads. They still feel good, stop well and no squeaks. I'm going to have them checked on my next service appointment.
  • sphere99sphere99 Member Posts: 36
    its brand new (2000 miles) but it started pretty much right away, they dont squeel all the time just random times. anyone else expeirence this?
  • stevefx45stevefx45 Member Posts: 17
    I have been trying to find winter tires with no luck. I switcehd to Toyo Proxes ALL SEASON but have not tried them yet. I heard that thre are some winter tires that are 10mm to narrow but they still work okay. Pirelli P Zero Nero anda few others.

The dealer has had no better luck.
  • stevefx45stevefx45 Member Posts: 17
    Did you have the tire pressure sensors? Does anyone know what happens with smaller rims and , as a result,no sensors? I heard one person say you get a constant Low Pressure indication and someone else said you just get a blank reading on the indicator screen?

Love my FX 45 but my wife's Concorde with front wheel drive, traction control and "normal" ALL SEASONS is my chocie in the snow. How can INFINIT show those wretched commercials with FX's and G35's runnning through the snow?? (Actually, the G35's smaller tires are better in the snow than the $10K more expensive FX 45!!!!) :mad:
  • ray18ray18 Member Posts: 5
    What year FX45 do you have?
    Didn't they improve the handling in the Snow with the '04 model?
    thanks,
    Ray
    No I do not have the tire pressure sensors - mine is an '03 FX45 with Premium Pkg only. The 18" Blizzaks are fantastic in the snow and with the FX's rear drive bias make driving it in deep new snow a real blast.
  • pscdocpscdoc Member Posts: 93
    I replaced my factory wheels for some TSW wheels and had to remove the sensors. No problems to report. Only once in awhile (3 times in the last 2 months) the tire low pressure sensor will activate but it goes away. And as stated before the tire pressure reading on the screen just shows blank.