Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti FX45 Infiniti FX35

Comments

• audreymaudreym Member Posts: 103
    I totally agree about the G35! I had my FX in for its first service yesterday. Have to say - driving the G35 for the day as a loaner confirmed that I have abolutely no buyer's remorse on the FX!!
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    2007 G35 interior:
  • vanhalenabevanhalenabe Member Posts: 20
    Thanks for posting the picture. The 2007 G35 is all new. Exterior is all new and so is the Interior. I like the changes they made to the Exterior and the Interior is light years ahead of the 2006 model. At least in pictures, in my opinion.

Horsepower will be above 300, and I'm hearing it may actually get better gas mileage too.

Here's are my gripes with the FX. It has been out for 3-4 years and is no longer a brand new, "fresh" design. It is still a classic design that will stay beautiful for years. But it is no longer new.

It also does not have the up-to-date technology of other Infinitis. For example, it does not have a push button start to go with its Keyless entry. It does not have a high-end stereo option, like the M or the 2007 G. You cannot purchase the Navigation as a stand-alone option, like you can in the M. It has heated seats, but not heated & cooled seats like the M.

If the FX only had better technology and features, it would be the PERFECT car for me. I still may buy the car, but I now want to wait until the G arrives for a comparison. Thanks.
  • fx35awdfx35awd Member Posts: 218
    Thanks for the review. It is very insightful.
  • chardonetchardonet Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know if the M45 engine management system can be applied to the FX45 to increase the horsepower to 335HP?
    The engines are identical in the 2004 FX45 and 2005 M45. Are there mechanical differences that will prohibit this, or is this a software update? If available, does the potential cost justify 20 HP (6%) increase in HP? Thank you for any information or experiences.
  • drlawyer2005drlawyer2005 Member Posts: 2
    I picked up my new FX35 last night, and while I am thrilled, I found that hooking up the LATCH car seats was a real pain, since the connectors are buried behind the seats. I can't seem to move the seat enough to get my hands in there. Has anyone figured out a way to install these easily? I like that the rear seats tilt back so that the car seats don't have to be bolt upright.

BTW, I considered the RDX and MDX, and the FX beat the daylights out of both of them in most measures. We have a 7 month old and a 2.5 year old, and the Phil n Ted double stroller fits just fine in the back of the FX.
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    Have you looked at the Mazda Cx-7? Its a great crossover vehicle.

Flipping the 2nd row seats down was not as easy, as you have to first flip the lower half of the seat forward, before you can flip the seat back down. Otherwise, the 2nd row does not fold flat.

The Cx-7 has pricing seats. Pull a lever and the seats flop forward themselves. The power band of the CX-7 and Rdx is similar. Also the Cx-7 can be priced at $33k FULLY LOADED with AWD,Nav, 5speed auto, and a decent rear seat. Yes it uses Premium gas but so do the Rdx and Fx. Doesn't your Md-x?

Heres a comparison between the 3 (Cx-7, Rdx, Fx)

ps: The 07 g35 is good but I'm just making sure you don't overlook a great sporty SUV!

-Cj
  • vanhalenabevanhalenabe Member Posts: 20
    Cj,

To answer your question, Yes...I have considering a Mazda CX-7. However, I haven't made it out to a dealership yet for a test drive.

I am a big Mazda fan and I currently own a 1994 Mazda MX-6. The car has served me well for many years and it still drives really well. The only reason I am looking for a new car to replace my MX-6 is because with my family, I now need a "real" back seat.

Thanks for the link comparing CX-7, RDX, and FX.

Abe
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    No problem. I had a choice of squeezing into my neighbors Nissan Nx's back seat or walking. I choose to walk. I doubt a car seat could fit there...

The Cx-7 is a good SUV. Good luck with your choice since one succeeds where another fails. Its a tough decision. You can always check autotrader.com for the "certified" pre-owned route. I found a lot of FX35s selling for $22k and Fx45s for about $26k around my area but they were 2004s. Still, not that bad!

-Cj
    When my kids were using their Britax Marathons, I also found the LATCH anchors to be a bit cumbersome due to its location. However, I was able to install them quickly everytime by fully loosening up the LATCH connector belts enabling me to move the childseat easily, from side-to-side, while I hooked up both LATCH connectors. Once both connectors were securely in place, I centered the childseat, placed my weight on the childseat and pulled on the LATCH belts to secure them in place. This would take me about 2 minutes to install. Maybe even less.
  • sphere99sphere99 Member Posts: 36
    I have 18,000 miles on my 2005 FX35 but had my brakes changed out at about 6,000 because of bad squeeling issues, so there is only about 12,000 actual miles on the front brakes, well now when driving forward going slow between 5 and 20MPH they are making a tinny humming sound.. any ideas what this could be? my infinit dealer is a 45 minute drive and they are not nice I hate going in there UGH :(
  • merlinmerlin Member Posts: 10
    Had same problem w my 2003 FX35. Tried the cheap and "easy" way of buying a blad and trying to cut it to length for the rear wiper arm. Waste of time and money. Took the dealer (Fields in Libertyville, IL) exactly 30 seconds and $12 to do it (inc. parts and labor).
  • dm8182dm8182 Member Posts: 4
    Greetings... Has anyone purchase the optional sunroof wind deflector? They run around $75.00. I've noticed quite a bit of noise when the sunroof is open, especially when driving on the highway. I'm curious if anyone has purchased one and how effective they are? Thanks!

David
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
  • jackbr4jackbr4 Member Posts: 2
    i am first time parent and have an fx35, and just installed my seat - i didnt have trouble with the latches, but where to put the seat. a few web sites mentioned not installing it in the center unless there were specifically latches in the center spot, but the car seat manual mentioned it was ok - any thoughts on this?
  • deaniedeanie Member Posts: 172
    Crikey, Crikey! the infiniti manual says to use the latch for the outboard seats only because there is no latch for the center seat. I have two kids, and use a center and an outboard seat for the kids so I can lug my dragon-in-law around (whose babysitting services have saved me enough money to afford the FX). Your car seat manual does not know what type of car you have, so don't listen to it.

But, you can still safely & securely install a child seat in the center without using latch. I use the seatbelt and the ceiling mounted bracket to secure the center child seat. You can get get "cute" and use the innermost latches from each of the outboard seats to secure a seat in the center position, but you won't likely get the secure and tight fit that using the latches properly wil provide. Remember, your kid's safety is at stake - don't get "cute".
    Regards,
    Deanie
    Please go to the group top level and create a discussion that fits your comments/questions or post in an existing discussion.

Infiniti FX35 and FX45
    Enjoy!

tidester, host
  • merlinmerlin Member Posts: 10
    Love my '03 FX 35, and am looking at a 2007. I see they corrected the placement of the driver's seat controls, getting it away from the right thigh. Have they added an mp3 jack in the sound system? And has the ventilation system been corrected (so you don't get hot engine air thru the vents?
  • nascarqueen24nascarqueen24 Member Posts: 25
    Hi Merlin

I too am looking at the 2007 - the MP3 jack is only available on the fully loaded model. I am in Canada and the vehicle only comes in 2 versions - base and upgraded with the tech package which includes the MP3 - this upgrade is $6,000 - yep. I only want the base model.

So, a dealer said they can install a $300 option to allow the MP3 feature on the base.

You have much greater flexibility to create your custom FX down in God Bless America - not here in Canada.

Yes, the hot air is a concern of mine - I am doing some test driving soon. Another post said "don't worry - just put your A/C on - well not up here in the frozen hell of winter - not operating my A/C below zero.

Will see about the FX based on my test drive and $.

Cheers
    NascarQueen24
  • noknok Member Posts: 13
    I'm deciding between the FX35, the Acura RDX, and the Mercedes R350. Has anyone tried to put 2 car seats in the FX35? I'm concerned the car just won't be big enough and have enough cargo space. I know the obvious answer is to go with a bigger SUV, but my wife doesn't feel comfortable driving bigger SUVs. She doesn't like being high up.
  • dittoditto Member Posts: 6
    Hi, I drive an Fx35 and have very easily put 2 car seats in, three doesn't work at all but 2 is safe and easy.
  • noknok Member Posts: 13
    I pretty much narrowed down my choices to the FX35 and the RDX. I test drove the FX today and I have to say I came away disappointed. I was really expecting to love it, and I just didn't. I can't say it was any one thing I didn't like, I just found it kind of boring. The ride is a little stiff and the engine is louder than I expected. The main problem my wife had was visibility. That back window is pretty small and tough for her to see out of. I'm testing the RDX tomorrow. If I don't like that one either I have no idea what I'll end up doing.
  • rlwcliftonrlwclifton Member Posts: 6
    Can anyone out there tell me if 2 car seats and a booster (one w/o a back) fit in the back seat?? The FX would not be the primary vehicle but we'd like it to fit all the kids if possible.

Thanks.
  • dittoditto Member Posts: 6
    Hi, I have an FX and can only 'safely' carry 2 car seats. You may be able to 'squeeze' another in, however I don't beleive it would be safe, there's too much of a middle 'hump'. Hope it helps.
  • jackbr4jackbr4 Member Posts: 2
    when i was installing my car seat, the manual said specifically not to install a car seat in the middle seat - not sure if that would apply to the booster too, but better to be safe.
  • jumpinjumpin Member Posts: 3
    Dear all, I found my fx35 is not performing the auto re-lock, I tried every thing manual said with vehicle electronically system, but it is still not locking itself.

Any idea what to do?

:cry:
  • aveghteaveghte Member Posts: 68
    Does the AWD system provide significant performance and/or safety improvements for drivers in warm-weather climates where there is significant rain in the summertime but no snow or ice?
    What functionality were you expecting with auto relock? Is it having the vehicle lock itself after driving off?

The auto relock feature, that I know of, is the vehicle relocking itself if it was unlocked using the remote control fob and no doors were opened within a certain period of time. The vehicle relocks itself after that.
  • snsnsnsn Member Posts: 56
    Although I was told differently by sales, I was informed by the Infiniti service advisor that the FX has never had the drive away locking feature. It only has the auto re-locking feature as described above (if you unlock the doors with the fob; but, don't open them within a certain amount of time, it will re-lock).
  • deaniedeanie Member Posts: 172
    Hi:
    As a general rule, AWD is useless on ice, somewhat helpful in snow, and very helpful in the rain. In the rain, the tires have actual contact with the road so the AWD helps, but in the snow there is little to no contact with the road. The AWD can take advantage of what little traction is available in the snow. On ice, AWD, FWD and RWD are pretty much useless.

Where you are, if you do not drive beyond 7/10ths of the car's capabilities, the RWD is fine b/c the stability control'll kick in. If you get adventurous w/your driving and go beyond 7/10ths, AWD is an additional safety net beyond stability control. To me, the fuel econ lost (1-2 mpg) to the added weight of the AWD is meaningless in the AWD's added safety in the wet and snow.
    Regards,
    Deanie
    P.S. I've invoked my FX35AWD stability control once, and I felt the car recovered more quickly from the avoided spin than it would have had I had a RWD FX.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    I disagree with the above in terms of the benefits of AWD on ice and snow. Usually at least where I live (Minnesota) you have some combination of the two and I find that AWD combined with a set of winter tires offers HUGE benefits in handling, braking and acceleration away from a dead stop or being able to go up just about any incline. In really tough conditions I engage the AWD lock button (I have an '03) and the traction then is unbelievable. What kind of tires you have makes the biggest difference, but having AWD plus winter tires is for sure the safest bet. Then it's just the other guys you have to worry about.
  • maxim49maxim49 Member Posts: 41
    Hi, does anyone know if the '07 FX Navigation system is voice activated or voice recognition? I hope it still doesn't have the old toggle button to enter addresses.
    Thanks,
  • mrsricksmrsricks Member Posts: 7
    Hello - I am leasing a 2005 FX 35 and I was told about a year ago from my Service Tech that ALL infinify's have a design flaw in the Condenser system that does not allow the water to drain, so bacteria is growing in the condenser when A/C or heat is on and does not evaporate .This is where the odor comes from. I was told to turn my condenser off 5 minutes before I stopped. WHATEVER. I did not pay $45,ooo to turn it off. They also attempted to put deodorizer in my condenser to help the terrible smell. We decided to get the car Air tested by Envirotech. My FX 35 has Legionella (legionairres diseae) and Cladosporium that causes respiratory disease and is an OSHA mold. Get your car air tested inside by a Mold, or air detecting Company. We are in the legal process of getting out of our leased since the car is a health hazzard. Infinity told us this is an issue with all FX and most all infinity since 2004. ASK your service Tech about this and get test results .It cost me $100 but my car is a danger to my family!!
    My FX35 2005 was air cabin tested and my car has Legionell (legionaries disese) and Cladosprium that causes Influenz and other respiratory diseases. My Service Tech told me there is a design flaw in Infinity vehicles and the condenser does not allow water to get out and it causes bacteria and the odor. There is no way to fix this issue and it is a health danger. Get your car tested by an air quality company and let Infinity know your results. We are in the process of getting out of our lease!
  • sphere99sphere99 Member Posts: 36
    Yikes! let us know what happens, I am scared, where do we get them tested?
    We had a colorado company Environtech do the test. You can contact any air testing company (not sure what state you are in) we had to do this on our own and cost. Any company that tests for Radon or Mold can do the test. They usually come to you. Our Family Dr suggested we not drive the car. The Dealership is the one who told us this is a "design Flaw" We are supposed to get a response tomorrow. If not we have a Lawyer we are going to get involved. I would talk to your dealer about this issue. I do not know if every car would have this issue, but I am seeing this alot on this site. I will keep this site posted as we hear
  • quattroporte12quattroporte12 Member Posts: 178
    Hi I am looking at buying a used fx35 or fx45 with a tan interior and after looking at different options i noticed that the tan interiors differed. When you get the black leather, the top of the dash, control panel, and top of the doors is all black. When you get the tan, those pieces become a dark tan color that i dont exactly like. Here is an example: http://www.compassluxor.com/autotrader/04FX45GreyTan_4X404907/DSC00042.JPG Then i saw an fx that had the tan interior, but the dash, controls, and door tops were black, and this looked much nicer imo. Here is an example of that: http://wayzata-imports.ebizautos.com/shared/viewer.aspx?&iid=1480463&src=eBay&pi- d=10 I just wanted to know if this color combination had to do with the option choices
    (no-nav: tan/tan, with nav: tan/black) or the exterior color, or just an induvidual interior color choice option. Thanks for the help!
    The tan/black interior is usually found on FXs that have the Sport Package.
  • tolaxtolax Member Posts: 4
    Just picked up an 07 FX35 AWD. Only thing that concerns me is that I frequently leave my laptop in the car. While the car has 'privacy glass' I would be happier if there was some cargo area cover that I could use. A retractable one would be ideal but worse case a solid cover would be better than nothing.

The infiniti web site did not list any such option. Anyone know of any third party products that will solve this?

tolax
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    Until you find something you could put it on the floor in front of one of the rear seats, and then fold that seat down. Just a thought.
  • kichuskichus Member Posts: 4
    I have the same problem. I was surprised that tha FX35 comes without the cover. I know few people that bough the same car 2 years ago and the cover came with the car. You can but it. It cost $475.00 + $105 labor. :mad:
  • maxmirmaxmir Member Posts: 4
    .... if I hit breaks momentarily. The manual states that the car must be in Parked mode to use your Navigation system. It appears that a passenger can input the new driving directions WHILE you are driving if you slightly depress the brake pedal and hit the Destination button for your Navi. It is far from an ideal solution, but it is better than to having parked your car on a highway :cry:
  • cajun_mikecajun_mike Member Posts: 37
    I'm going to be in the market for a new midsize or crossover SUV in the next year or two and I have been unable to find any morsels of information on any makeovers for the Infiniti FX35 for 2008 or 2009?

Have I missed something? The current vehicle is on my list but if I had to buy today, it would get culled quickly because the competitors have released brand new vehicles.

Anything for 2008 or 2009?
  • lirpa007lirpa007 Member Posts: 14
    Does anybody know where to buy the retractable tonneau cover? Cost?
  • srr3306srr3306 Member Posts: 12
    I know most of you think you are too smart to let this happen (I did too.) These guys can take you for quite a ride if you are not careful. Here is a letter I wrote my dealership in protest. Do not let them do this to you!

General Manager & Service Manager
    Infiniti of Gwinnett
    3090 Satellite Blvd.
    Duluth, GA 30096

I want to inform you of my intense dissatisfaction with our recent visit to your service department.

On April 25, my wife brought our FX35 in to respond to the exterior lighting recall notice. We also requested an oil change and new wiper blades. No other service was planned or needed at the time, based on prior services and the maintenance schedule we follow in the owner’s manual.

We had generally had good experiences since we started using your dealership for service in 2005, and service advisors who were cooperative and helpful.

This time, it was our misfortune to encounter Bryce Busby. He used my wife's lack of knowledge and preparation as a way to sell her over $700 worth of unnecessary services. These include:
    Fuel Induction Service for $147
    Power Steering flush for $147
    Brake Fluid flush for $118
    Auto Transmission flush for $309

Mr. Busby called me between meetings at work at my wife's request to get my permission to perform these additional services. He advised me that these were recommended my Infiniti and necessary for a 2004 FX35 at 30k miles. I did not have any reference materials (computer or owners manual) with me at the time and I was forced to make a snap decision as I was busy at work and (as Mr. Busby no doubt realized) did not have time to verify his claims.

As it turns out, only one of these services, is recommended in any service schedule from the manual, and none was necessary. The transmission flush is only recommended under the premium schedule.

And, to add insult to injury, they did not even replace the wiper blades!

Needless to say, I will not consider your dealership when it is time to replace this vehicle next year and never use it again for service. I know that, in the end, I should have refused the service and this thievery is the result of my mistake, but the one positive thing I can do is get the word out about this service advisor and inform you, as well as other Infiniti customers that my future business is lost due to your new policy of gauging your service customers.
  • vdragonvdragon Member Posts: 12
    Was it 2006?

Thanks
  • marvin3marvin3 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, haven't posted in a while but now that my oem tires are wearing out at 35k I am wondering if anyone has tried the Nitto NT420S tire on their FX? It gets good on line reviews is economical and I am leary of getting goodyear again after all the negative comments. Thanks
  • bwr92196bwr92196 Member Posts: 1
    Not sure if you ever found this item, but its called a Tonneau Cover. I had the same problem when I just picked up my new 07 FX35 AWD. My 05 FX35 came with the cover and the 07 its optional...poor choice by Infiniti. :mad:

So, I got the dealer to give me my 05 cover which fits the 07.

I also found one here: http://fx07tonneaucover.notlong.com

Hope this helps.