Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Infiniti FX45 Infiniti FX35

Comments

• stanny1stanny1 Member Posts: 962
    Besides the "Pimpmobile Look" which is laughable, chroming wheels adds weight, and added weight on a wheel is the worst place to have weight.
    Most people buy wheels for looks. They often get the wrong offset and a weaker than stock wheel.
    Ride, handling and acceleration suffer.
    Look instead for a lightweight, forged wheel with the right offset.This will make for a true performance difference rather than having ribbon tires on heavy oversized chrome wheels.
    Pimpmobile wheels impress only those that don't know and don't care about performance. The rest of us just shake our heads and wonder why anyone would spend 6k on going slower.
  • trragtopstrragtops Member Posts: 7
    many thanks to all who posted the VPP info. I just saved an add'l $900 thru the VPP.
    I picked up my ivory / willow fx45 premium today.

WOOOW - great ride, seat pinning acceleration, Infiniti reliability, and a great dealer experience thanks to the Nissan VPP program.
    I got mine for $43,725 w/ Roof rails, mud flaps, wind deflector, and all weather mats.

One of my disappointments is that the vehicle does not come w/ a retractable cargo area cover. Even my 1989 Camaro came w/ the cover??
    I'll have to order it
  • aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    Anyone who's had to clean brake dust from chrome wheels will know never to get them again. Period!
    Did you get the Tec Package? Did you go through the dealer in Texas?
    Please give us more info!
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    Congratulations!

I know what you mean about the cargo cover. Canadian-spec FXs have a cargo cover but according to most Canadian owners, it isn't an optimal cover. Rumor has it that Infiniti is re-engineering a new one. It would have been nice if it came free on a $40K+ vehicle :(
    Just got a dealer lease quote on a loaded FX45 with Satellite radio.
    MSRP is $53,490.
    I pay $49,005.93.
    Lease is 39 months, 15,000 miles a year.
    Just first payment. That's all.
    Monthly payment is $837.23 including Calif sales tax at 7.75%.
    Does that sound high?
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    ...if the dealer told you the Money Factor (probably around 0.0020) and the residual percentage that they used (probably from 48-53%).

Then it's pretty easy to figure out the lease deal.
  • itchingitching Member Posts: 12
    hey pimpmobile haters have a blk on blk with chrome rims,don't no what stanny1 is talking about performance or any difference in keeping it clean not lazy and love keeping my truck & rims shinny, also have a 68 fastback mustang with chrome torque thrust ds love that too,still don't own any hookers but who knows.
    The Money Factor seems to be classified. I bet the residual is low as this is a new model.
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Member Posts: 811
    ...numbers on the Lease board in Town Hall and Car_Man will give you some Infiniti factory lease numbers.

On a 39-mo Infiniti lease, somebody on this board posted a 52% residual and a money factor of .0020 - which is the same as an interest rate of 4.8% - just multiply the MF X 2400 to get the interest rate.

Let's say that your dealer kept that residual and kept the MF at .002. Your lease would look like this:

$53490 sticker X 48% depreciation = $25675
    $25675 / 39 mos = $658 per month

Your cap cost of $49006 + residual of $27815 = $76821 X MF of .002 = $154 per month

$658 + $154 = $812 + 7.75% tax = $875/month

Which is a bit higher than your figure so either the money factor is less than .002 or the residual percent is higher than 52%.

I will tell you that 39-month leases can be a less-than-perfect choice unless there is an incentive like a great money factor, waiver on some of the up-front fees, etc. You live in California so every year on your delivery anniversary date you get to pay your annual DMV license fee - right? So at month #36 you pay for the next 12 months of DMV fee but you'll only have your vehicle for 3 of those months if you return it to Infiniti at end-of-lease-term. And there ain't no refund - but at least you've made the next buyer of the FX a Happy Camper - he/she gets 8-9 months free DMV.

But, with a $40k vehicle, them's small potatoes.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    Has anyone purchased and used the towing hitch that's available with the FX? I see it's rated at 3500 lbs which is pretty average for a car-based SUV and would be sufficient for my needs. Two questions:

1. How is the ride and acceleration when towing, and
    2. How noticable is the hitch receiver when not in use?

Thanks.
  • carprepcarprep Member Posts: 8
    Recent (partial) Post from RX330 Board:

"It came down to the RX330 vs. the FX45/FX35. I test-drove the FX. It was amazing! The performance and handling were unbelievable! Not to mention the Intelligent Key feature. Check out (all) the rave reviews.

As soon as the RX330 prototype arrived at the dealership, I beat a path down there to check it out. I liked all the features, told myself the wider D pillar made it look a lot more masculine than the RX300, tried to warm up to the placement of the interior's aluminum trim and faux wood, and figured I could get by with the limited headroom (I'm 5'11).

Then, I had the opportunity to drive an RX330. It left me VERY disappointed. The suspension was definitely softer and it provided a more "luxurious" ride than the Infiniti FX, but the RX's handling was "mushy" and there was a lot of body roll. It felt very underpowered. I guess it's not fair to compare 315 HP to 230 HP, but pricing for the additional thoroughbreds is comparable to the RX. And you can get a (280 HP) V6 FX35 with Technology Package for the same cost as a fully loaded RX. So that's the way I decided to go. I've had the FX for a couple weeks now, and am having a blast!"

Formerly Rx330Guy

"Dear Former...glad you found The Best SUV Ever (For Former).

I just have one question - I'm 6'2" and have a RX300 (with moonroof); I fit just fine in the driver's seat, even with the seat in it's max "lift" position. I sat in a new RX330 at the Auto Show and it had more headroom than our 2001.

You're 5'11" and have no headroom? Wow, must be a pair of really short legs in there somewhere. You know the driver's seat bottom adjusts up and down, right?

Oh - one more item. I'm an ex-Infiniti owner - start preparing for the fact that six months from now, the FXers will be going out the door $100 under invoice and first year's depreciation will be hitting the proverbial 25% fan.

Of course, that's just a guess...based on every model Infiniti has ever sold. I'm sure your mileage will vary."

JeffMust2

Hmmmm. I wonder what JeffMust2 is doing in this forum, with the impending FX depreciation and all! Could he be rethinking his position?

I believe Former RX330Guy said "I could get by with the limited (RX330) headroom." Not "I have no headroom." I have to agree with Former. I felt cramped in the RX's interior.

As for your suggestion that we proud new owners of FX's "Start preparing for the fact that six months from now, the FXers will be going out the door $100 under invoice and first year's depreciation will be hitting the proverbial 25% fan", I think that's highly unlikely Jeff, given that NNA/Infiniti vehicle sales projections have been 85% realized so far. Pretty good considering the state of the economy. Anyway, most of us based our purchase decisions on the simple fact that we love the car. Not what the depreciation may be.

I guess you're just a little sensitive having to drive around in your wife's ubiquitous car. And talk about depreciation, I hope your're in a short term lease, because you're not going to be able to give that thing away otherwise.

Anyway, to each his own. Congratulations to Former RX330Guy on your FX purchase! Enjoy!

Carprep
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    (Off topic for one moment)

Just a reminder about posting photos: Please just post a hyper-link to photos (from other websites) that may be copyright protected. We don't want to infringe on another website/individual's copyright protections. Okay?

For further clarification, please refer to our Member Agreement guidelines. Feel free to email me if you have any questions/comments about this. Further discussion on this issue cannot be addressed here. Thanks for understanding.

And now, back to the subject of the Infiniti FX45 / FX35! ;-)

Revka
    Host/Hatchback & Wagons
  • hootspahootspa Member Posts: 11
    I'm still waiting to hear from Infiniti about availability of the rear hitch. My dealer doesn't even have the sunroof wind deflector yet. Infiniti is definitely behind on accessories for the FX. Keep harassing them.
    I am also worried about the resale value on the FX after a bad experience I had with a 1992 Q45.
    Part of the problem is the lousy advertising campaign for these vehicles. The public just doesn't see them as desirable as the Lexus or BMW.
    I hope Infiniti doesn't start deeply discounting these vehicles. That cheapens the image and people start wondering why they have to give huge discounts to sell vehicles. Porsche keeps their image and resale value by limiting production and keeping new vehicle pricing near MSRP.
    Then, I guess...Porsche isn't placing their image in the Cayenne since the Cayenne S is being deeply discounted by Porsche dealers.

See How is the Cayenne selling? and Can you guess which new SUV is stealing sales from the Cayenne?
    I guess Revka removed my post with the HPX photo. Oh well, the photo can be found here. You be the judge.

The guy who covered the NY Auto Show for cars.com already thinks it is:
    Is this a Lexus design philosophy for the future? Perhaps the company saw the Infiniti FX45 and got scared it was falling behind.

Full article New Lexus Concept Takes Luxury SUV to Next Level.
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Thanks for re-posting. Happy motoring! ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • bomcqbomcq Member Posts: 7
    Purchased a hitch when I bought the Car in January. Not available yet!? Also still waiting for Rubber floor mats.
    ...are available now. I got a set for my Willow Interior recently for $72+taxes.
  • ngkiyanngkiyan Member Posts: 19
    were you able to get the willow or is it just the tan .I got mine but the tan/willow mats did not match my willow/black interior, the color was way off and I had to exchange it for the black.
    it was tan. it looked ok with the willow interior. but in your case, i would have to agree that the tan all-season mats may not go well with the willow/black interior. yeah, i would have gotten the black mats if i had the same interior. good choice.
  • psb1013psb1013 Member Posts: 92
    I got the WeatherTek rubber mats in Tan for my Willow/Black interior...looks fine to me. The Infiniti rubber mats that originally came w/the car looks and feels cheap. The ones from WeatherTek are far superior--made of thick rubber and lasts forever.
    Where did you order the WeatherTech mats? I remember going to http://www.weathertech.com and they did not seem to have the mats available for the FX. (I also checked today and it does not list the FX in the vehicle list). I did not call them to verify, though.

BTW, how much were the mats and did the 2nd row cover the 'hump'?
  • ngkiyanngkiyan Member Posts: 19
    I ordered my all weather mats from the dealer because I thought it would match the willow color of the cargo protecter that I bought with the car. I paid $86 plus tax because they said they just charge me cost on it. The quality seems good to me , they are the same thickness of the cargo protector and they have the infiniti logo on it. I am pretty satisfied with it, if only it came in the willow color like the cargo protector but it did'nt.
    I also thought that the quality was pretty good. My main reason for getting them was that they fit perfectly on the vehicle and seems that they protect the areas that it needed to.

Husky liners, which I had on my previous Pathfinder, were great also. But, Husky doesn't have them available for the FX yet. I don't even know if they will make them.

Most aftermarket mats usually need to be cut to size.
    You have to call them to order the ones for the FX. (not listed in magazines yet). WeatherTech rubber mats (Classic model) have much deeper grooves and channels to hold more water/snow/mud than the Infiniti ones. They cost about the same as the Infiniti's but are of much higher quality. (I had them for my previous 3 cars and were all excellent!)
  • sorkasorka Member Posts: 3
    I've been doing a great deal of reading and research on the FX45. When at a dealer, I asked some questions which were answered with "of courses" which I now believe may not be true. Unfortunately, the "of courses" were not demonstrated. I downloaded the FX45 manual from the infiniti-techinfo site and based on my reading, I believe there may be some serious fundamental flaws with the navigation and DVD entertainment system. Can someone please resolve the following questions for me?:

1) Does the nav system have a touch screen like Lexus, BMW, and many of the other manufacturers?
    2) Can DVDs be watched on the front screen when the vehicle is parked?
    3) Does the DVD player play DVD Audio discs?
    4) Are discs with dolby digital 5.1 or DTS played correctly through all of the speakers (LFE to subs, center channel to center speaker, main and surround tracks correctly to the front and rear speakers)? Basically, does the system of a dd and dts decoder and does it send the discreete audio channels to the correct speakers? I got the strange impression from reading the manual that audio from DVDs could only be heard through the wireless headphones. I must be wrong because this would be just about the stupidest thing a manufacturer could do to a DVD entertainment system.
    5) Can DVDs or DVD audio discs be played through the sound system while driving (but of course without video in the font)? I have a rather large collection of DVD concerts that I listen to while driving and although I have no desire to view these discs.
    6) Can the system play mp3s files ripped to CDS.
    7) Can the system play mp3s ripped onto DVDs(this is becoming very popular in DVD players these days).

Thanks.
  • cheerioboy26cheerioboy26 Member Posts: 412
    I don't own an FX, I just read the boards since I own a G35 (no NAV). I think the answer to most of those is "no" except #5.
    I know that the answer to your #6 is "yes" because I tried it at the dealer. It played an MP3 that I ripped myself and this same disc would not play on my previous car (even though the CD player in that other car would play many discs that I've made myself - it just wasn't consistent). Otherwise I can't help you with the other questions as I decided to get the FX45 with Premium Pkg only (no Tech Pkg) - pick the vehicle up tonight and can't wait!
    When I bought my FX45 w/Tech package about a month ago, my dealer didn't have any separate NAV manuals. (which to me was rather odd). Are they available now?
  • cheerioboy26cheerioboy26 Member Posts: 412
    not sure if this will work:

http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/infiniti/deptog.asp?dept%5Fid=60

If not go to

http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/infiniti/

and choose publications -->owners manuals at the top, then choose nav, etc., etc.
  • peteri44peteri44 Member Posts: 15
    We picked up an FX35 w/Tech package on April 5 and it came with a thorough and separate nav manual.
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    I just picked up my fx35 rwd tech on saturday from Grubbs Infiniti in Dallas. Wonderful experience worked out the whole deal over the net. faxed in credit app and picked up the car over a two day span. I wound up leasing and am paying 625/mo for the rwd tech with splash guards and Cargo Protector. negotiated price was $40564 msrp $44345. mf .00157 and residual of 49% for 39 months 15k per year. Anybody looking for an FX should check out Grubbs. great guys even if they did give me a hard time for driving a minivan lol. PS other FX owners did you receive a cargo net?? can't locate mine if it indeed comes with the car.

Pictures here: http://photos.yahoo.com/clpurnell
    clpurnell, look under the floor in the back - should be just to the right of the spare tire.

Sounds like you got a great deal - enjoy!
    Congratulations! Glad you took advantage of the Grubbs offer (which only lasts until 4/30/2003, BTW). Isn't that one of the best buying experiences ever? Buying a car should always be that easy.

Just like JBaumgart mentioned, the cargo net is under the floor.

Have fun with your FX!
  • bpraxisbpraxis Member Posts: 292
    Hello everyone and I hope that you are having a great day. Test driving the new FX35 was very fun and the vehicle felt solid. The exhaust has a very throaty growl and the acceleration is impressive. The closest dealer to me is Scott Infiniti in Lighthouse Point Florida.

Exciting visual styling has always been important to me and the FX is fun to look at. I am seriously considering buying this crossover.

Does anyone have an opinion to wait to order a 2004 to not eat the depreciation for 2003 given that we are 4 months for the new 2004 model?

I also understand that Infiniti will be making some nice refinements to the FX for 2004 such as raising the passenger seat with more power controls. And we all know that there are always some bugs to be worked out in the first year, less so on Japanese cars though.

And hopefully better color choices for the interior. How about a nice red metallic for the exterior? Why do we have to order the sport package to get the brick interior?

Does anyone have an opinion on how much we should offer over invoice.

Given Infinities historical steep depreciation my feeling is to not pay over $1000.00 over invoice.

Thanks for your input.
    There seem to be many good deals out there right now and if there is competition in your area and you are a good negotiator, I would think you could get a price that you could live with. I doubt that your local dealer would take just $1,000 over invoice, however. Many buyers are going through a dealer in the Dallas area (Grubbs Infiniti) which is offering "VPP" pricing through April 30th. See FreshAlloy.com for details - access through the FX45/35 forum.

I agree that the passenger seat vertical adjustment would a nice addition, but it wasn't important enough to me to make me want to wait. The depreciation factor is something to consider, however, as we are 5-7 months (?) away from the 2004's availability. This should be taken into account when negotiating the price, and no doubt deals will be harder to come by early in the 2004 year.

While colors are purely a personal choice, there are some pretty interesting combinations available right now. When the 2004 comes out, I'm sure you'll see a few more become available, but I haven't heard any details as to what these might be. The biggest choice in the FX35 is whether or not to get the Sport option - strongly suggest that you drive both before making up your mind on this.
  • bpraxisbpraxis Member Posts: 292
    Great Feedback and the dealer informed me that I can order the car in June for 2004.

I would go for the 18 inch tires for the more comfortable ride. The 20 inch Sport Package looks great but comfort is more of a priority. A consequence of being more mature, LOL.

My color choice now would probably be Diamond Graphite with black interior. I like the Pearl White but you have to get the willow interior which will be higher maintainance.

Would cloth destroy the resale value of the vehicle?
    The graphite/black combo is really nice and I probably would have gotten this one if I didn't have it on my last car (Audi allroad). It's a classic look that will not go out of style, plus as I'm sure you realize would be easy to maintain. I don't think I would get a cloth interior in any vehicle that costs this much as I do think it would hurt the resale value. People looking at this class expect leather, plus the leather quality in the FX is very nice. It's also easier to maintain than cloth and with occasional conditioning treatments can stay looking like new for a very long time.

I have the 20 inch wheels with the Sport suspension, which come "standard" on all of the FX45's, and no doubt about it, the ride is very firm and is not for everybody. Although I like it for its great handling - it's really pretty unbelievable for an SUV-type vehicle - on some road surfaces the ride can be choppy. But on a particular stretch of road close to where I live, where over the winter it deteriorated quite a bit and is now in need of repairs, the ride of the FX is really no worse than what it was in the Audi (which also has a pretty firm ride, but with a shorter wheelbase). But overall I do think most buyers, and I guess you're in this camp, would be happier with the non-sport suspension and 18 inch wheels & tires (similar to a BMW M3 vs regular 3 series car). I will probably invest in another set of wheels for the winter, and will likely go with 18's and dedicated winter tires. It will be interesting to see how this will affect the ride quality in combination with the sport suspension, and how much this affects the handling.

Just curious, how much of a discount would your dealer be willing to give you for a 2004 order vs. buying a car off of the lot right now? If you use the threat of VPP pricing from Grubbs, and seem serious about it, I think now would be an excellent time to buy.
    Thanks for the help in locating the cargo net. found it yesterday. This car is just amazing I can't stop smiling when I'm in it and I have become the official lunch taxi at work :)
  • bomcqbomcq Member Posts: 7
    I've complained several times about how harsh the ride was with the sport package. I brought my wife's FX35 in for sevicing and complained. Turns out each wheel had about 10lbs extra. No wonder it felt like you were riding on a rock. There's a noticeble difference! It's still stiff, but a lot smoooother! It really changes how you drive.

Those that find the ride harsh should check this out. I got the car like this in January, so it must have come this way from the factory.

Also, they said the tow hitch I bought with the car wouldn't be available till July.

Overall the service was very good. Got a i35 loaner.

Bomcq
  • slummyjslummyj Member Posts: 57
    I test drove the FX35 with the sport suspension. I didn't think it rode any harder than my VW Passat GLX. I can't figure out why you have to get the sport suspension with certain colors. I like the Graphite or Beryllium with the brick interior. I don't mind the sport suspension, but it seems strange that it is required with these colors. Maybe next year they will change this.
    Due to popular demand, per GM. Good deal for those who were not able to avail of the April VPP incentive.
    Anybody anywhere near texas and on the fence about getting a FX should contact Grubbs. They are great people.

I have had my fx for about a week and have a couple of questions for those who have had there's longer.

1) What gas mileage are you getting?

2) Are you changing the oil with dino, synthetic or a blend.

I agree with checking tire pressure. I have 2 tires at 33 and 2 at 49psi I need to adjust the high ones down. Once I do this I will report on the ride.
    1) What gas mileage are you getting?

I'm getting about 18mpg city/highway on my FX35 AWD with Prem Pkg. On a day trip to the beach, I got about 22mpg on mostly highway driving. I did manual calculations and compared it to the fuel econ computer. So far, the computer and my calculations were in agreement on only one occasion. The fuel econ computer is always on the lower mileage side of things. Also, I do reset the fuel econ computer everytime I fill up. BTW, I've just gone over 1200 miles.

2) Are you changing the oil with dino, synthetic or a blend.

I have not given this any sort of consideration yet. I'll check what the manual suggests and make my decision at that time.

My tire pressures are currently at 33 psi after having it at 45 psi at delivery. So, yeah, always check your tire pressure.
    On my FX45 which I've had for about a week and a half I lowered the tire pressure to 32 all around, as is recommended on the door. At delivery the tires had from 36-38 lbs of air in them. Just this slight reduction has made a big difference in the ride quality, for the better. I still get a nice firm handling response which I really love but now it takes bumps a lot better.

Have not measured gas mileage yet but I know it's not going to be good as I do a lot of city driving. The good news is that I don't put a lot of miles on (short commute) so it won't make much difference. My previous car (Audi allroad) was no gas milage champ either.

I'm still undecided on whether I'll switch to Mobil 1 after break-in. I've used it for years in my other cars but the owners manual recommends "mineral" oil which I do not understand. What could be the advantages of this other than the fact that it's cheaper? I may keep this car for longer than usual so I'll probably again use the synthetic, but I plan to discuss this with the dealer's service manager when I go in for my first oil change.
  • blckthreeblckthree Member Posts: 153
    I also have a FX35 AWD Premium package. With just over 4100 miles, it has been getting a consistant 20-21 mpg, that being a mix of about 85% highway, 15% city driving per tank. I have reset my tire pressure to 35 lbs and noticed an increase in mileage of almost 1 mpg without a sacrifice in handling or ride.

I went with dino oil from the Infiniti dealer with my first oil change. I am not completely sold on the benefits vs. cost of synthetic oils. I have never had any kind of mechanical failure in the past related to oil. To each his own. I am debating using the neighborhood quick lube shop for future oil changes, just because it is quicker and cheaper, hopefully they wont break the clips on the engine cover and create a rattle for me. I don't need to devote half a day to an oil change or get a loaner for the day, just to pay more and get the car washed. Oil changes are not rocket science.
  • hootspahootspa Member Posts: 11
    to the Audi Allroad?
  • himilerhimiler Member Posts: 1,209
    For starters, the FX should put the Audi to shame in terms of reliability.

It's taller, too.
    For the info so far on MPG and oil. I probably will stick to dino espicially since I am leasing the car. But we love it so much we are thinking of paying off the lease with a loan now. I looked at the allroad. While the interior maybe superior I think the infinti wins in style, power, handling, reliability and bang for the buck. Right now i have a hard time finding another vehicle that offers as much as my FX35 RWD Tech package car for within 5-10k of what I paid. If lexus brings out the concept they showed or the next gen x5 comes down in price short of a 80k Cayenne or 50k+ toureg nothing I think is in the same class for price/power/features IMHO.