Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    "...saw the one of the dumbest things today on the road. A front passenger without seatbelts in a black TJ w/o doors or tops. He was holding onto the rollbar and his seat as the driver made a slight left hand turn. Ugh..."

Yeah, everybody knows you are supposed to use your legs to push against the floor to hold you in.

;-)

(Really, I remember tooling around in the back of an early 70's Landcruiser sitting on square boat cushions on top of milk crates!)
    When you go out in the woods, especially in Maine, bring BUG SPRAY!!!!

Really got clobbered.

Drove around Worcester, MA last night with the wife, topless (the JEEP!!). It was chilly, and we had two sleeping bags to return to her parents, so they were in the back. She took one, and wrapped over her legs and lower body, and was nice and cozy.

So, here is my just started list of things to keep in your Jeep:

sunscreen
    bug spray
    small blanket (space blanket or thin wool/fleece blanket should do)
    flashlight (always keep one in the car)
    flares
    towing equipment
    matches (if stuck in the woods, a fire is nice)
    rag (for wiping dew off the seats, or checking oil, or emergency bathroom use)
  • wheelshighwheelshigh Member Posts: 30
    Yeah I hear you about the bug spray. I was up in Maine last week near Millinocket camping about 30 miles from the nearest gas station in the logging forests. Man those bugs are tough I had bud spray and sprayed it on me like a mad-man and those bugs still were all around me. Well at least I had a good time, there is hundreds of miles of dirt road in that area where you can get lost easily.
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    Yes all passengers in a car must wear seatbelts all the time. Seatbelt laws in Canada became law in the mid -70's.We now have a 90 % user rate .
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    Crazyjpr - glad to hear you got the problem solved. While we need to be careful, I think it is advantageous to post info on the board if you have had either really good or really lousy service from a dealer. You have posted info that I think is appropriate for the board to know about.

Personally, what I would like to see avoided is an initial post of "Dealer x is terrible!" with no explanation, but in your case, you had an issue, got a diagnosis, chose to get a second opinion (that countered the first opinion), had the secondd dealer do the work and up to this point are satisfied the problem was fixed. Thoughts about the appropriateness of calling out dealers based on thier service?

As far as what to carry in the Jeep, I have a page that lists items compiled from JU. It is more geared toward someone that may have to fix something to get off a trail, but it may spark some ideas for items appropriate in our individual situations.

http://www.ewylie.com/jeep/what_to_carry.htm

-twylie

• texasjeeptexasjeep Member Posts: 270
    sasquatch_2000
    Congrats. That is awesome. I hope your Jeep works out great for you.

If you are not going to do a lift I would go with 31x10.50s. Tsjay and tonka are running them.
    What kind of tires do you need. If you are going to be off-roading a good amount or going through mud, I would get a mud tire. BFG muds or BFG A/T are great tires.
    A 2" spacer lift runs about $200 and is a good type of lift.

crazyjpr
    Glad to hear everything is going good now. Thanks for sharing the info.
    Here is a link to a list of good and bad dealers if you want to share your info.
    http://www.extreme-jeepin.com/jeepdealers.htm

mtngal
    I guess I didn't realize they did another change on the 01. I was just thinking about the 00 or when ever they did the last change. Haven't really seen the new ones much. The flares kind of look funky is all I remember.

lookin4sahara
    I think there is a difference between the full and half doors. The half doors come down a few inches farther and it makes a big difference to me.
    I love going to work and then maybe that afternoon at lunch or for the way home from work taking my top down and half doors off because it is so nice out. Or just rolling up the back window, taking out the rear side windows and removing the half doors.
  • dragonfly03dragonfly03 Member Posts: 46
    I actually am not sure of the packages he got, he'll be home in 3 days so I'll let you know then.

We went to Carolina beach and Fort Fisher. The first picture is from Carolina and the last two are at Fort Fisher.
    "If you are not going to do a lift I would go with 31x10.50s. Tsjay and tonka are running them."

Could someone please post pictures of the washer/spacer thing? What does that help? Does it eliminate the problem completely? If it catches while hauling butt off road, it would stink royally.

"What kind of tires do you need. If you are going to be off-roading a good amount or going through mud, I would get a mud tire. BFG muds or BFG A/T are great tires."

Probably a lot of road (obviously), but also some off road. I think the 4X4 is more important than the tires off road. Mostly, I want something taller than 225/75 for clearance, and do not really need width for mud or boulders. I am considering a second set of narrow tires for winter snow tires with studs. Opinions?

"A 2" spacer lift runs about $200 and is a good type of lift."

Yeah, but aren't decent "real" lifts like around $500 or so? Can you buy lifts with tuned springs for towing (heavier duty in the rear)?

"I love going to work and then maybe that afternoon at lunch or for the way home from work taking my top down and half doors off because it is so nice out. Or just rolling up the back window, taking out the rear side windows and removing the half doors."

Same here (only 2 work days so far!). How do you remove the half doors? I was wondering if anybody has tried a wingnut for making door removal easier. ?
    Jeep wave: Apparently, girls do not participate in this. All males seem to, and some older women, but I have waved at many under 40 "girls", and get either straight ahead stare, or puzzled look. I guess they just don't get it.

legroom: My 1992 Honda Civic hatchback has more legroom than the 1997 Wrangler. Does anybody know a way to move the seat back or if there are aftermarket "seat tracks" which allow one to move the seat further back?
    sas - I have not seen anything that allows you to move the rear seat back. If the seat were moved back, it would be difficult if not impossible to fold the soft top down. You didn't buy a Honda, so please stop comparing it to one. Tell people it's the price they pay for riding in your Jeep. If it's your kids, have them start smoking so they will stop growing . As for heavier springs... the reason you can't tow more than 2000 lbs in a Wrangler is due to the short wheelbase, not the suspension capacity. A trailer should never have more than 15% (<10% is better) of it's total weight as measured at the tongue. If you need more towing capacity, you'll need a different vehicle.

-twylie
    I meant FRONT SEAT leg room for me!!

I would think an American car would have more legroom than a Japanese car!

OK, different question: Do lift kits give more weight carrying capacity?
  • kwilson4kwilson4 Member Posts: 21
    I also have not seen much good come from a five star dealer. I bought my 2001 from AutoWest Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep in Roseville, CA, and as I previously posted, the left rear wheel fell off the day after I bought it (lug nuts were not tightened). Also the salesman didn't know a thing about Jeeps except that he wanted to sell me one.
  • texasjeeptexasjeep Member Posts: 270
    sasquatch_2000
    I haven't ran 31sx10.50s but I don't think you have to make any adjustments to run them.
    In some cases you have to put a washer or two behind the steering stops to prevent rubbing against the lower control arms. This would just limit your turning radius slightly.

I don't know anything about snow and ice really. From what I hear A/Ts do better on ice and light snow and M/Ts are better in deep snow.

A spring spacer lift is like a hockey puck that sits on top of the spring. A suspension lift will replace the spring completely along with other suspension components.
    A 2" spring spacer lift is fine for that height. If you want to go higher then you are looking at a suspension lift and $500 plus.
    I don't think you need special springs for towing. Because you can't tow much weight with a Jeep, the stock springs or any other suspension springs should be fine. Procomp springs are real stiff if you want some stronger ones.
    You should be able to open the door and have a hand on each side of the top half and pull up to remove the top half of a half door. Take the nut off the bottom and pull up to remove the entire door. I don't bother putting the nuts back on. You need to remove a fuse behind the glove box to keep the dome light off. I guess this is all the same for the 97.
    HTH

Jeep wave
    Just wave to the Jeep and if the other Jeep owner waves back at your Jeep, then it is all good. If they don't who cares
  • saharanutsaharanut Member Posts: 134
    Twylie..
    your were right about the 240sx, my wife caught it as soon as I hit Enter,,,She really liked that car. She likes anything made by nissan..

Alee..Great pics....

I've noticed that the younger ladies will not return the jeep "wave"..wonder why?..

Keep posting guys!!

Got Jeep?
    Snut
  • lookin4saharalookin4sahara Member Posts: 53
    Ok everyone I need HONEST opinions on this. My wife is not cutting me any slack. How does everyone feel about driving with a four year old in a toddlers seat in the back seat of a wrangler?
    Top up of course.

texasjeep: I have only experienced a jeep with full doors. I know, I haven't lived yet.....
  • nkelly1nkelly1 Member Posts: 105
    crazyjpr - Bravo! Good to see you have exposed the swine. One must let people know about dealers like this, AFTER you have all the facts (which you do).

sasquatch - I am right at the edge of leg room (I am 6'4") I was going to make a seat bracket that bolts into the stock holes, with holes set back far enough to get me more leg room. As it turns out I didn't need it, but I haven't tried driving in my hunting boots or gear yet either. If you use square stock you will lose some headroom, so choose your material wisely. As for women under 40 waving…. I have had them wave at me before I waved at them, mind you at 49, I don't make a habit of waving at girls….. or women for that matter (I have a good one).

lookin4 - The only thing I can offer you is the back seat (on mine anyway) is fully equipped to lash down one of those "child seats". The crash data for the jeep is very good, look at the problems ford has been having lately? I would be perfectly comfortable putting a child in the back of mine. The seat belts in the back seat are every bit as good as the ones in the front (for when they are bigger). Not knowing what the specific fear is I donno what else to add (that wouldn't get both of us in hot water) ;o)
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Hey, Old Tsjay is back from Illinois. Missed all you guys!

Wow, was there ever some posting to catch up on!!!

I did get a chance to sneak on for a while on Monday while I was at work, but that was it until this evening.

Glad we don't seem to have any ruffled feathers any more. I love the way we all get along in here. I'll bet there ain't another message board anywhere where all the folks get along as well as we do.

Let's just remember that everyone is entitled to an opinion and to express that opinion. What a boring world it would be if we all thought the same way!

I have really been giving some thought to the question of what is a "real" Jeep. I don't have a good answer, but it is a great question, because it makes you THINK!

I know my Thelma is a "real" Jeep. She is to me, anyway. Not a thing about her that I would change.

That's not a good answer, but I am still thinking about it.

It's good to be back with my buddies!

Let's keep posting!

tsjay

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    I have a 3 year old & a 4 year old...they love riding in the jeep..As long as you have the child seats. If I only have one child with me they ride in the front (air bag off) with chils seat.
    They love it..they can see better.
    We did ride topless once around our neighborhood.
    I rode in back with one..while the other rode in front. We had a great time.
    I feel everthing is safe. But always use caution in any vehicle when children are riding.
    Just common sense to me.

Got Jeep?
    Snut
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Another Jeep discussion topic, no. You guys are by far the most active ;-). Another topic though most definitely yes. Says a lot about the Town Hall community doesn't it? :-)

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • dwranglerdwrangler Member Posts: 127
    Hey twylie & tsjay,

Did you have 30's and the wheels when you got your Jeeps or did you put them on after? I just want to get as much info as possible to be ready when that joyous moment arrives and I can send you all announcements of the newest Wrangler owner.

As far as the service goes I plan on going to the Jeep dealer that I have been visiting to check out there inventory from time to time. They have been in the Jeep business for as long as I can remember. Believe me I will be armed to the teeth with all of the information that I have gotten from the edmonds website as well as others...and most importantly from my friends in the Jeep Wrangler/Wrangler Owners chat room.

Thanks for the info and advice thus far and keep it coming.

Hug your Jeeps for me ;o)
  • sfjeepssfjeeps Member Posts: 66
    A stock TJ will fit tires up to 31" with only minor rubbing on the fenders. The Sports are more prone to rubbing because the fenders are slightly narrower then the Sahara. I don't recommend using 31" tire on the stock 15x7 rims because there is very little off set and you will get rubbing on the front lower control arms at full turns. IF yu are planning to go up to 31" tires on a stock lift avoid using 31" Swampper tires because the 31" tire are a true 31". BFG, Goodyear and other 31" tires are closer to being 30" tires.
    Yes, we ordered our Sport with the 30" (althought sfjeeps has properly reported they are not 30", mine measure out a little under 29" at street pressure). The tire option gets you the rims, tires, and the Dana44 rear end for less than $800. If you were to buy these after you bought the Jeep, it would cost a good bit more. Even if you don't plan to keep the rims and tires, you can sell them on eBay to get a good bit of the cost back.

If you havent' checked it out, I have posted pretty much everything about our Jeep purchase and experience on my site: http://www.ewylie.com/jeep.htm You may find something you can use as you make your final decision. Good luck and keep us posted.

-twylie

I stopped at the Chrysler dealer in Henderson, Ky, on my way back from Illinois yesterday, and they had 15 Wranglers on their lot. This is the dealership that had that white Jeep that I fell in love with last summer and stopped to look at every week as I was on my way to and from Illinois. (The Jeep just like Thelma.)

Now, Henderson, Ky, is not all that big of a town, so if they had 15 Jeeps, odds are that in a big city, there are going to be plenty of 2001's.

They had two black 60th anniversary models, so, Terry, even though I haven't seen Tazz, I did get a good look at a couple just like him. They were beauties!

When I was in Taylorville, Ill, the dealer there had a silver 60th plus three or four other 2001's.

Just thought I'd let everyone know, in case someone is looking for a new Wrangler.

tsjay

• thedude1thedude1 Member Posts: 13
    Perhaps a REAL Jeep is one that says Jeep. To toss out certain models because they have IFS, too many creature comforts, square headlights, etc. is analogous to tossing out a family member because he/she is too pretty, or too tall.

That Jeep concept that started all this looks to me more like a car, which was all the original Jeepster was - didnt even have 4WD. Maybe the original Jeepster is like the guy at the family reunion that no one seems to know who he is. The new Jeepster concept is more carlike, but at least it has some sort of 4WD or all-wheel drive and is supposedly able to go off-road.

For a real stretch, tsjay, what about the Jeep FC150 and 170. These look like nothing else.

As others have mentioned, government regulations will likely be the demise of the fold-down windshield, in-line six, removeable doors, etc. not DC. In fact, I think that DC *maybe* has a clearer idea of what defines a Jeep than at anytime in the past twenty years or so. The latest Wrangler is nothing but improvements, and although the Liberty is admittedly controversial, I'll bet it proves itself to be more durable off-road than the Cherokee. Is structural strength alone is far greater than previous unibody models. As far as allegations of wimpy is concerned, the KJ has the same TJ axles and carriers, A-arms similar to those found on 1-ton trucks, and weighs a whopping 3600 pounds, hundreds more than Escapes and CRVs - hardly wimpy.

Concepts are built and presented to see what "sticks". Lets take the Icon purpose one step farther: What if it is not designed to be the Wrangler replacement, but rather another model? Would that be a good Jeep to park next to your TJ for your teenager to drive? It would be safer and sportier than a TJ, and probably get better mileage for those teenagers on small budgets.

Just some thoughts while we discuss tires, rims, and axles. Speaking on axles, I've heard that the trak-lok has to be rebuilt at around 50k miles, is that true? Seems kinda pricey maintenance.

By the way, my Sahara is on the train and should be here in the next few days. Can't wait.
    I was glad to see some posts from you recently.

Your post about DC knowing what they have in the Wrangler and their intention not to mess it up made me feel much better.

Even if I didn't think I would ever buy another new Wrangler, I would sure like to see them continue to be made without any major changes. I would like to know that I could put Thelma Jane out to pasture when the time comes and get a brand new one. I can't see trading her in, if I ever did get another one: I would have to keep her.

tsjay

• thedude1thedude1 Member Posts: 13
    Perhaps a REAL Jeep is one that says Jeep. To toss out certain models because they have IFS, too many creature comforts, square headlights, etc. is analogous to tossing out a family member because he/she is too pretty, or too tall.

That Jeep concept that started all this looks to me more like a car, which was all the original Jeepster was - didnt even have 4WD. Maybe the original Jeepster is like the guy at the family reunion that no one seems to know who he is. The new Jeepster concept is more carlike, but at least it has some sort of 4WD or all-wheel drive and is supposedly able to go off-road.

For a real stretch, tsjay, what about the Jeep FC150 and 170. These look like nothing else.

As others have mentioned, government regulations will likely be the demise of the fold-down windshield, in-line six, removeable doors, etc. not DC. In fact, I think that DC *maybe* has a clearer idea of what defines a Jeep than at anytime in the past twenty years or so. The latest Wrangler is nothing but improvements, and although the Liberty is admittedly controversial, I'll bet it proves itself to be more durable off-road than the Cherokee. Is structural strength alone is far greater than previous unibody models. As far as allegations of wimpy is concerned, the KJ has the same TJ axles and carriers, A-arms similar to those found on 1-ton trucks, and weighs a whopping 3600 pounds, hundreds more than Escapes and CRVs - hardly wimpy.

Concepts are built and presented to see what "sticks". Lets take the Icon purpose one step farther: What if it is not designed to be the Wrangler replacement, but rather another model? Would that be a good Jeep to park next to your TJ for your teenager to drive? It would be safer and sportier than a TJ, and probably get better mileage for those teenagers on small budgets.

Just some thoughts while we discuss tires, rims, and axles. Speaking on axles, I've heard that the trak-lok has to be rebuilt at around 50k miles, is that true? Seems kinda pricey maintenance.

By the way, my Sahara is on the train and should be here in the next few days. Can't wait.
  • wheelshighwheelshigh Member Posts: 30
    Ok I think I've come up with a better description of what a "real" jeep is. I think a real jeep depends on the owners not so much the jeep. As we all know we are crazy about our own jeeps and have a great brotherhood. I think if the liberty were to gain such a following then it could be considered a "real" Jeep. If you think about it that is what makes jeeps so special the owners not so much the jeeps themselves.
  • saharagalsaharagal Member Posts: 88
    You're probably getting sick of hearing about this, BUT...My Sahara is on a train heading toward Atlanta. I checked it out on the Norfolk Southern web site today! The train stopped in Chattanooga at 10:40 this morning. It doesn't give a time for arriving here, but it couldn't possibly be very much longer! Cool!

I'll keep you posted!

Laura

No Tsjay, I haven't come up with a name yet. Any suggestions for a white Sahara. What's a good name for a white vehicle??
  • jeepboy727jeepboy727 Member Posts: 14
    That's it, the end, the finale, fin. No jeep for me. I cannot continue to read these posts, knowing how much fun everyone is having with their toys. It drives me crazy that I cannot afford one right now. AAAARRRRGGG.

Until I jeep again.
    I bought the wrangler because it still looks like a jeep (it is a jeep), if it looked like all the other SUVs I don't think I would have bought it. One of the guys at work is looking at a liberty and a CRV(?), to him they are close to the same thing. Which is what I like about the jeep, it ain't "close" to anything. It's a jeep.

CJ owners would argue this, but this is still a "family" dispute. The jeep (and maybe the land rover) are the "benchmark" that everything else is compared too. Lose this and you lose the jeep.

The jeep, IMHO, represents freedom of choice. If you want all the suburban comforts AC, CD, leather, carpets, automatic transmission, ABS and so on you can have them. Even more important, if you don't want them you don't have to have them. I like having the choice of a hard top or a soft top, for example.

When I go hunting, the last thing I want is to spend all day in the woods and then (after getting covered with mud) climb into a vehicle that looks like my living room, and is just as hard to clean. The jeep (so far) fills that bill. I do not begrudge anyone for wanting the "comforts of home" in their jeep, but don't throw the baby out with the bath water.
  • dwranglerdwrangler Member Posts: 127
    But I'll keep checking in because it's fun to live through the excitement of the other Jeep enthusiats and owners. Yeah it can drive me nuts from time to time, but it keeps me in a positive frame of mind that I will get a Jeep of my very own.

If you order one to your own specifications, can you still get the price you want or do you need to go through a service to deal for you?

Oh yeah I almost forgot. I looked at the photo gallery again and saw some great pictures. Why did some of the postings have "sorry" messages instead of a photo?

I don't have a digital camera, so I'll have to scan a photo and put it on or get a good digital camera that isn't too expensive. Give some detailed instructions to put photos in the gallery.

I may be back on later, but it's 1:30pm here and I'm starving. Have a great and safe 4th!

Hug your Jeeps for me today! ;o)

dwrangler
    Ok, everyone, I give up! I don't have an answer.

I think that we are going to have to agree to disagree. As wheelshigh and others have said, the definition of a real Jeep is going to be different for different people.

Try to define a real Jeep by the build specifications for the different models, and someone will have a reasonable rebuttal.

I know what is imporatant to me, but that doesn't mean that I should expect everyone to agree with me.

Way up at the top of the list in my book is the looks of a Jeep. Like nkelly has said, it has to look like a Jeep to be a real Jeep to me. If the only thing that changed was the looks and everything else was exactly the same as now, I wouldn't want one!

I know virtually nothing about the very earliest Jeeps, but I do know that the looks have remained almost completely unchanged from the CJ's until now, and that covers all the years since the end of WWII. I think that is GREAT!

If Jeeps had undergone substantial changes in appearance every few years, like almost any other vehicle has, then looks would not be such an important factor in my definition of a "real" Jeep.

I am very pleased with the evolution of the Jeeps to this point, as I stated in an earlier post near the beginning of this discussion. I would NOT trade my Thelma Jane for ANY of her predecessors. She's a "real" Jeep to me in every sense of the word! SHE IS PERFECT!

Ok, maybe not perfect, but close enough. I guess I wouldn't mind a little quieter throw out bearing and maybe a little smoother shifting. A modular hard top would be nice too.

See, I'm not totally against change, but I just don't want anyone messing with the basics!

tsjay

Hey, don't leave us! I hope you weren't serious!

You ain't the Lone Ranger. I thought I was gonna die for about six months wanting a Jeep so bad and not knowing how in the world I was going to get one. I stayed in here and kept up with all the posts and did quite a bit of posting myself.

Old Saharanut hung in here with us, not thinking he was ever gonna get his Jeep. His waiting period was about as long as mine, or maybe even a little longer.

Dwrangler is going through it now.

So, just stay here and be part of us! We will all help you celebrate when you do get that Jeep, and you WILL, if you hang on to that dream!

tsjay

Never give up! This is the mark of the "true" jeep owner :o) Years ago, in the days when buying a new vehicle wasn't so easy we would get one and build it from a junk yard.... a lot of damn good jeeps started that way.

This wrangler is the first new vehicle I have ever had. I ususaly just buy old one I like fixed it up and run the hell out of it (haven't seen much in the way of new vehicles I really wanted to own). There is always an other way.
    You asked about the deal you can get if you special order vs. buying off the lot. You should get just as good a deal by ordering, and maybe even a better deal.

When you order from the factory, the dealer gets invoiced when the Jeep gets shipped, and when you pick up your Jeep, the dealer gets his money from your bank. I don't know how long the factory gives the dealer to pay for the Jeep once it has been invoiced, but I'm guessing the dealer would have the money from your bank in time for him to pay the factory for that same Jeep.

This saves the dealer from having some of his money tied up in that Jeep just sitting there on his lot waiting for someone to come along and buy it.

I would love to know how much money and how much interest is reprensented by a dealer's inventory of vehicles. I'm sure it must be one of the greatest expenses that a dealer has to pay.

tsjay

Hey, Boy, where you been?

Hope you got moved and settled in by now. I'm wondering if you got hooked back up to the 'Net since your move? I'll bet you're getting online somewhere and keeping up on the posting.

Just thought I'd say hi and tell you to hurry up and get started posting again!

tsjay

• 2001wrangler2001wrangler Member Posts: 112
    Wow.....I missed about a day and a half here and there were 61 new messages!

Sasquatch....glad to hear you finally bought one!

JEEP101?? I received an invitation to a Jeep101 about 2 hours from here. It is about a month away and I was wondering if anyone has participated in one of these yet? Is it worth the time?
    Hope all of you are having a Great holiday..
    Been a busy week for me...I manage a BBQ restaurant..WOW!! busy day today....But now I am on VACATION!!
    Lots of great comments on what makes a jeep a JEEP>> I agree with its the "Owner" we are a particular bunch. Trufully i really dont believe DC will do a drastic change to our wranglers..
    The Jeep is an American icon.
    Glad to see you back Tom..we missed ya dude..
    will not make it to Gills tonight..taking my kids to see a fireworks show (in TAZZ of course)
    JEEPBOY...hey man NEVER give up..I know what you are going through..the waiting..the researching..
    I was there myself..We all all behind you ..its worth the wait!
    Keep posting all!!

GOT JEEP?
    Snut..BamaTazz
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Happy 4th of July, everyone! image

Enjoy the fireworks if you can :-)

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accesories message boards
    When do our cousins north of the border celebrate independence?

Did you guys have to whip the limeys too, or did they just let you go peacefully?

tsjay

To even the playing field, a little, here is "some" history on our jeep. Although it has, indeed, evolved into what it is today…. it has definitely NOT forgot where it came from.

http://www.starway.net.au/~ijcossor/jeepmil.html

I like the part where…..

"In 1942 Ford built a limited number of amphibious Jeeps, known as the Seep. This little vehicle was basically an MB with a boat tub on the bottom(with cutouts for the wheels) and a PTO propeller.Seeps were not the most seaworthy things in the world, but one highly modified Seep, called "Half-Safe," did manage cross the Atlantic in 1950 and then continued on to circumnavigate the globe."

http://www.jeepin.com/history1.html

http://www.off-road.com/~early/history.html

We call it Canada Day , not Independence Day as you call it.Our Canada Day is July 1st . We are 134 years old .Funny thing ,even being your neighbour for 134 years most Americans have no clue about us.
    nkelly - great links. It's a pretty amazing history the Jeeps carry with them.

OK, I finally got around to pulling off our half doors. I didn't have any problems getting them off and I'm estimating they weigh somewhere between 15-20 lbs each. While the ease of getting in and out in fantastic, and the feeling of being more "open" to the earth is nice, the feeling with the half doors on is about 70% of what it feels like to ride around without any doors. I can see where doorless would be great at the beach or in the woods. I need to check GA law to find out if one mirror is enough. Once again, a testament to the versatility of Jeeps.

I guess that has to go on "my" list of what a "real" Jeep is.
    - Ability to go anywhere the owner wants to take it (at least anywhere any other 4wd truck/car/SUV can go). This includes mud, rocks, snow, sand, 2' of water...
    - durable (able to take reasonable off road punishment without breakage)
    - customizable/configurable through factory options and aftermarket to make the vehicle personal and unique.
    - has the rugged Jeep "look". Kind of like pornography to the govt... you know it when you see it.
    - ability to remove the top
    - fun to drive (probably a function of short wheel base, small turning radius, high visibility for us)
    - 7 slots in the grille

Other than that, I'm good. I may not like the future styling directions, but fundamentally, those are my criteria. I'm not a complete purist. I like the I6 but understand the need to be able to use a 4 speed auto, so the 3.7 V6 will see its time soon. I think solid axles offer better durabilty, clearance, and flex, but if the engineers can figure out a way to get IFS/IRS to achieve my requirements of "go anywhere I want to", and "durable", I'm good.

-twylie
    isn't Canada that country we're going to invade once we run out of natural resources? Please know I'm only joking, but sadly, the only reason I know anything about Canada is that I have a few friends working in a couple of the larger cities. It must be an American thing... I did some consulting with Royal Bank a few years ago, and spent time in Toronto and Monkton. It's really a beautiful county and is on our list for an upcoming camping/fishing vacation. Happy belated Canada Day!

-twylie
    . Hey man ,if we can get your U.S dollar as our currency you can take us over any time you want. Was that Moncton, New Brunswick you visited ? Toronto ,that's were I live
    Happy Canada Day a little late.

I guess we don't know much about your history, but we do know that you guys are cool and that you are our buddies. We also know that you have a huge, beautiful country.

Join us in the wrangler chat tonight at 8:00 PM CDST.

So glad you are posting again!

tsjay

"Ok everyone I need HONEST opinions on this. My wife is not cutting me any slack. How does everyone feel about driving with a four year old in a toddlers seat in the back seat of a wrangler?
    Top up of course."

Honest opinion? I think you should keep the top down, just use sunscreen. I see a Dad and his boy tooling up and down my road all the time. Two bald heads in a red Wrangler having the time of their lives! Just do it!
    To the person saying they were going to throw in the towel on getting a Jeep. DON'T DO IT!!!

I just got a good deal (arguably) on a 1997 Wrangler TJ Sport.

If you can't do it new, go used. Get an older model (CJ?) and work with it from there.

Hang in there.
  • rosnovtrosnovt Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have this in their jeep? How does this sound? Is this worth buying
    yep, it was Moncton, NB. I munged the spelling in my last message. Toronto is a great town; I enjoyed myself every time I was up there. Great summer weather and really friendly people. I've heard the winters can kind of suck, but after 10 years in GA, I'd like to see snow on occasion again...

-twylie