Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• Options
    dwranglerdwrangler Member Posts: 127
    Sorry, but I completely forgot about Canada Day. I went to school with someone from Canada in high school and the told me a little bit but it's been so long (20 years ago) that it completely slipped my mind.

I also have a friend that went to Montreal but didn't have the time or money to get to Toronto. Since I met her she's become quite the hockey fan...I guess I'm a bad influence huh?

Hug your Jeeps for me today. ;o)

dwrangler
  • Options
    kwilson4kwilson4 Member Posts: 21
    The new subwoofer makes A BIG difference. I bought my Sport off the lot, and it didn't have one in it. I negotiated the subwoofer with the dealer as part of the sale. For the extra couple hundred bucks, I'd say it's worth the price.
  • Options
    bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    Hello All..Saharanut here...
    Since I dont have the Sahara..I thought I better change my name..
    Thanx to tom..I've gotta a new name..
    Bama( Roll tide) Tazz (Jeep)

BamaTazz..but all of you van still call me nut

Got Jeep?
    BamaTazz
  • Options
    nkelly1nkelly1 Member Posts: 105
    Good list of things. I haven't finished "hashing" it over, I think my "real jeep" list will be based on more on what it was vs. what it is (and where it is going). Once I get it thought out I will post it. I can see the auto tranys need for the V6, this is why I am glad I got one when I did.

Never though about the mirror thing and taking the doors off, maybe I can "rig" up some mirrors if I have too. Don't know much about Canada, only been there a few times (BC). I have usually found that people are people, it is only governments that set them apart.
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382

...at 6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern. Hope to see you there!

http://www.edmunds.com/chat/jeepchat.html

• Options
    Remind me though I might forget...don't have the Sahara huh, refresh my memory...what do you have?

Sorry that I didn't get to the chat for today. Went to eat with my parents and sent a former coworker a ecard to congratulate her on the new edition to her family, a baby boy.

See ya next chat, maybe sooner.

Hug your Jeeps for me today. ;-)

time to get some shut eye {-O

dwrangler
  • Options
    jacorobjacorob Member Posts: 37
    Tazz...no fair. that's my jeep's name. :) been looking for some good tazz decals to put on. Anyone know of a good place?

Bob
  • Options
    tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Thanks, Ned, for the link you posted to the article about the history of the Jeep.

That was some interesting reading.

Where were you last night? We missed you in the chat. It was another good one, with quite a few people participating and the chat room working properly.

tsjay

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • Options
    rosnovtrosnovt Member Posts: 2
    I apologize, I should have been more specific. I was not talking about the one that is placed in the center console. I was referring to the aftermarket one mopar makes and installs in the back of the jeep
  • Options
    saenzskisaenzski Member Posts: 50
    POST THE LINK TO YOUR WEBSTE, I WANT TO SEE THE SET UP WITH THE NEW TIRES!

Later dude, Jeep on!
  • Options
    sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    Didn't someone have a web site which told how Jeep safety improved over the years?

I would like to print this out to give to the mother in law who is a little skeptical. Father in law knew a guy in the service (in the early 50's?) in Germany who tipped over and died in one. The first thing people ask is "You got a Jeep Jeep? Don't those tip over?"

I want to tell them that there have been X new models/generations since then, with XYZ improvements.

Thanks in advance.

Also, what is the metric equivalent of 31X10.50R15? Is there a 31" tall, 15" rim tire with 8-9" tread width (instead of 10.5)? (Think of the original Jeep, or LandRover with 7.50X16.)

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    Hey, Al! Sorry, but no pics yet of Thelma with the 31's. I don't have a digi camera and just use a 35 mm. I have taken some pics, but I have to take the rest of the frames on the roll and then send the film off. It will be a couple weeks I guess.

Here's the link to Thelma's page anyway. I think I might have added a couple pics and a little text since you were there, if it has been longer than a couple months.

http://www.members.aol.com/tjoh298765/thelma.html

c ya

tsjay

• Options
    ford12passford12pass Member Posts: 3
    I have seen two white Jeep Wrangler Sports with white hardtops. As far as I know, you can only order them with a black hardtop. Does anybody know if you can order a white hardtop? How about a white soft top? Just curious, I'm probably still a year away from ordering my Jeep.

Thanks in advance,
    ford12pass
  • Options
    kwilson4kwilson4 Member Posts: 21
    It may be an after market top. I believe there are a couple of Jeep top manufacturers out there.
  • Options
    jeepboy727jeepboy727 Member Posts: 14
    Terry, I am looking at a 60AE and was wanting to know what kind of deal you got. The MSRP on this one is 25240 and they told me they would sell it for 23347. I would like to know what you got yours for before taxes. I searched the previous post and couldn't find if you have already posted this or not. If you don't feel comfortable posting it you can email me at jeepboy@itsajeep.org Thanks

Dan
  • Options
    2001 60th Aniversary edition Wrangler

MSRP $24875 Invoice $22,966

I got mine for $23,161 $195 over invoice

Black Dual Tops

Automatic

Deep Tint

cruise control

60th anniversary package

You need to find out what the invoice is on the one you are looking at..Sounds like that one might have Bodyside steps too..

They also have an 60th Anniversary Extreme Edition out. It has the Chrome bumpers and Nerf bars looks Great. This is a Dealer Installed option.

Well guys I finally got my Alabama state tag.

Since I didnt pay Sales tax when I bought it..I had to Fork over $810.00. Doing it this way I didnt have to finance the sales tax too..

I will have to renew my tag in Sept, it will be $270.00.

I need a second job.!!

JACROB..sorry I stole you name...hey..you can have taz i'll keep mine TAZZ..

Got Jeep?

BamaTazz

http://www.itsajeep.org/tazz.htm

• Options
    jthurlowjthurlow Member Posts: 21
    When I ordered my '99 Sport in April '99, hardtops were available in black, tan, or white. From reviewing catalogs since then, the white hardtop has been dropped.

J. Thurlow
  • Options
    saenzskisaenzski Member Posts: 50
    I had a bobbing head dog on my dash for month, and the day I took my doors off it dissapeared. It was stolen or my doggie made a jump for it.

Glad everything is okay.
  • Options
    Yes, you heard it write! Innocence was broken last night and it only took 9 months after getting my jeep! My jeep was broken in to last night/this morning at my apt complex by some jerk. I was lucky though. They didn't steal my bowling balls (cost 100+ apiece), tennis racket, bike helmet, jumpers, fire extinguisher, etc. They emptied out my center console all over the driver's seat (i had a ton of junk paper in there - though some had my credit card # on it). All that i'm sure they stole was the little change drawer next to the cig lighter w/ about $5 in change. They literally stole the change drawer and the change in it. They may have gotten a checkbook from my center console too - though unfortunately i havn't been very organized about that - changing my ways now...

I didn't have doors locked cause it's just as easy to open the door by unzipping the window (i have soft uppers) and i don't want them to cut my window. I've heard other jeepers say people have done this to them.

So all in all - i'm happy they only took what they did. I left a lot more in it last night then i usually do. However, i'll never do that again - leave anything in her - well cept jumpers and extinguisher.

But good luck to all of ya. Hope your jeep's innocence lasts a lot longer then mine did!

Bob

Note: this is a repost due to my inappropriate description of the thief. :)
  • Options
    davidb72davidb72 Member Posts: 174
  • Options
    Nice looking jeep. Though i think some vandals got to yur license plate - from the looks of it U of Michigan fans. ;)

Bob

PS - i'm a wolverine. hehe
  • Options
    I had a few things to do last night, before the sun went down. I was talking to a guy at a ORV store in Tacoma today. He told me that when DC bought out Chrysler, there was a clause in the deal that they couldn't lay a hand on the wrangler. Anyone hear about this? He went on the say that they had build a plant in Ohio specially for the wrangler and the liberty is what DC is offering……. good news if its true.

Any how I have been contemplating the "real" jeep question and have come up with my own ideas….. nothing solid yet, I will post them in a while.
  • Options
    Just wondering. I fell asleep watching the cardinal game....and brother did it get bad. Nice pictures of the jeep. Those pictures keep me going. Hope to see you all there tonight.

Hug your Jeeps for me today :-)

dwrangler
  • Options
    ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    Don't believe it . Like the Chrysler is going to put a clause in about the Wrangler , a low volume vehicle . But forget about the GC , Minivans and LH cars, all high volume money makers . Don't think so.
    The built a new plant for the Liberty was because the Toledo Parkway plant( it built Cherokee and still makes Wrangler bodies) was one, if not the oldest assembly plant in the U.S . So building a new state of the art product needs a high tech plant.FYI- Did you also know that Wrangler bodies are still built in the old Parkway plant, painted then trucked on a semi trailer to the Stickney plant were the bodies are unloaded and built up.
  • Options
    Man, I am so glad you are posting again! You are a great source of info for all of us.

Why don't you really fill us in on the process of building a Jeep (Wrangler, that is)?

Could you post some links to info on the whole process? I think we would all enjoy learning more about how our babies are built.

Tell us what happens from the day our order is accepted until our Jeep rolls off the line.

You said you used to build them, right? (When they were made in Canada)

Is there some nice long article somewhere that describes the whole process? If not, could you take the time to write up something and post it?

You da man!

tsjay

• Options
    Your Jeep didn't make it in time for the weekend, huh? That would have been pushing it, I guess.

I am anxiously awaiting your post announcing that you have that Jeep.

Hope it won't be more than a couple days now.

tsjay

• Options
    madman390madman390 Member Posts: 72
    I posted a couple of pics in the picture section, both here and at Gill's.

I've seen a few American-made cars here, but not very many. I guess that makes this Wrangler stick out even more. I also got some pics of a really nice Cherokee, but I haven't posted those yet.

I've got 2 more weeks here in Japan, and a little longer than that till I get to pick up my Jeep. I can't wait.

Hope everybody had a good 4th, and amid all the parades, fireworks, and beer, had a second or two to think about what it really is all about. The freedom to choose the most impractical, gas-guzzling, non-conformist, fun-to-drive vehicle ever built!

Madman
  • Options
    saharagalsaharagal Member Posts: 88
    Thanks for asking Tsjay. The sales manager hasn't been able to find out exactly where it is at this point, but on Friday the Norfolk Southern web site said that the railcar had been emptied.

I'll talk to the dealer again today. It just might get here this weekend! Maybe today, for all I know. I already told them to take their time prepping it! I'm going to take my checklist from Twylie with me to the dealership.

I'll definitely keep you posted!

Laura
  • Options
    Laura: Hope you are able to pick up your Jeep soon. Let us know how the checklist goes for you. I "acquired" it from several other websites and tried to modify it to fit Jeeps (with some inputs from members of this board). But not having picked up mine yet, I am not able to cofidently edit that checklist.

So if you do use it, let us know how it applied, and what should be added or removed.

Good luck!

Madman
  • Options
    jeepboy727jeepboy727 Member Posts: 14
    Whats this about a checklist? Any info would be appreciated.

JeepBoy
  • Options
    Yeah, please repeat that checklist. Although it may be awhile before I can afford to get my baby I want to be as prepared as possible when that time comes.

Boy last nights chat was short. Hopefully we'll have a good one tonight. I'm still not sure about tomorrow night. I'll be leaving in the morning for a family reunion and I'm not sure when I'll be getting back. If I get back by 8:30 or later, I'll check in to see if anyone is still on Jeep.org.....

Saharagal,

I hope that you don't have too much longer to wait...the wait must be killing you, I know it would be me.

dwrangler
  • Options
    I am still on the hunt for a trailer. I may have found a source for those WWII trailers that were made for the jeep. I was told some of them have a built in (or on) gas tank.

ottowrkr - (or anyone else) I found an ORV store that sells the computerized combustion control chips (or what ever they are called now), is there a good "brand" of these things? Then he said something about an "atomizer" that mounts under the throttle body that is suppose to increase your power, real or snake oil?

Saharagal - Glad to see your getting closer, but you know what "they" say about a watched pot (or in this case jeep).

jeepboy _ good to see your still with us.
  • Options
    Which format is better for chat, java or applet? I was just looking over my preferences and was wondering. I'll be checking this board and Jeep.org chat room at different times of the day today.

dwrangler
  • Options
    wheelshighwheelshigh Member Posts: 30
    Hey, I have seen many of those WW trailors. Last summer I helped my Jeep parts supplier move 50 of those things.....man what a job. Anyway I know he was selling them for around 350 bucks but I'm not sure he has any left....they did sell fast. I never saw any with a gas tank...I know there were two kinds though, ones with rounded fenders which are older and worth more $$, and the ones with square fenders. If you have any more questions on them let me know.
  • Options
    I do have another question. How can I get one?
  • Options
    for TAZZ..what a beatiful day..
    A little hot..but thats ok with me..
    Might rain tomorrow so I gotta get my top up.

Saharagal..Almost there girl..we are with ya

madman..Grat to see ya posting again..I'm sure you cant wait to get back to the USA. Keep us posted!

Keep Jeepin!
    BamaTazz
  • Options
    NKELLY wrote-"computerized combustion control chips (or what ever they are called now), is there a good "brand" of these things? Then he said something about an "atomizer" that mounts under the throttle body that is suppose to increase your power, real or snake oil? - IMO, I don't believe any of that secret gas atomizer stuff . If it really worked don't you think it would be on new cars. DC would love to have a 100 M.P.G Jeep Wrangler, they would sell three times what they sell now. If your really worried about gas mileage ,man you guys sure picked the wrong vehicle to buy. This thing is a box on wheels . It has the aerodynamics of a brick.Don't get me wrong I love these things , but you got to remember what your driving.

Tsjay- you want me to tell you how the jeep is built ? Man that would take some doing. .All I can tell you when we built the Jeep Wrangler from 87-92 in Brampton Canada, it was very low tech. No robots or anything like that. All welding was done with these huge welding machines run by line workers. The paint was all hand sprayed . We didn't even use clearcoat. We used to build one jeep every 2.5 minutes . If you really want to see why not write a letter to the Toledo plant with all your members of this TJ club and ask to have a plant tour. I bet they would be happy to show the people who bought there products around.
  • Options
    saharagalsaharagal Member Posts: 88
    Well, I spoke with the sales manager this afternoon--no Sahara yet! He guesses it hasn't been loaded onto a truck yet. Probably be early next week. BUMMER!

Keep posting, please!!

Laura (AKA Saharalessgal)
  • Options
    I feel your pain. I went to the dealer today just to drive a Sahara to get my fix for awhile. I wanted to take the top down, but I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to get it back up before I headed back to the dealer.

I have about two more years on my firebird loan. Until then (and a better job), I'll just keep going by the three or four local jeep dealers and test driving them.

Hope to see you all in the itsaJeep.org chat room.

Hug your Jeeps for me today ;-)
  • Options
    ispygatorispygator Member Posts: 14
    DC has extended their friends program. If you know ANYONE that works for DC, they can give you a code number that will get you invoice less 2% of the invoice price. I believe the Employee Price is 5% below invoice. The dealer actually makes more on a Friends sale then on a regular one where the buyer knows his/her stuff. Instead of selling for invoice plus $100-$200, they get their full dealer holdback (3%) on retail window sticker, and they get 2% of invoice for taking care of the deal (about $500). Employees are allowed to obtain 2 codes per quarter for Friends as of July 1st. I think the promotion runs thru December 31, 2001.

Start thinking about who you know.... factory workers, regional offices, Chrysler Financial
  • Options
    Greetings all. How's this for coincidence? I just found out that my sister-in-law just bought a Wrangler SE. It's even blue, altough I think it's Patriot Blue, not Steel Blue. She lives in Denver, only about an hour from Colorado Springs.

I guess great minds think alike!

By the way, the new Jeep checklist can be found on Twylie's homepage. I don't have the link here, but I know it's in previous posts.

Good luck.

Madman
  • Options
    What I asked about was something that was "suppose to increase your power", not mileage. Thanks anyway, I'll keep nosing around.
  • Options
    how much more you want in your jeep? more power means less trans life, u joints and axle wear.
  • Options
    Well we took it out in the woods, this time looking for a good place to hunt deer. A nice buck jumped right out in the road, about 100 feet, in front of us! We took a picture of it, but you know how those disposable cameras are. I got to get a CB radio, the logging company has the CB channel of their trucks posted (#39), makes it easier to keep track of them.

Found a really nice mud puddle, about a foot and a half deep and 10 or 15 feet long, nice and slimy on the bottom. She just cruised right through it, when we got to the meadow it looked like it is a real mud hole during the winter…… this is going to be fun. Got pictures of that too.

TsJay - We are developing the pictures, how many are you allowed to post?

Spent the whole day "tear-assing" around the woods, I really do like this thing!
  • Options
    Well, my friends, tomorrow my baby girl goes back to the dealer to have her leak fixed. I am going to have to leave her overnight. :(

I don't know if I can stand it! I have had to leave her in an airport parking lot for a couple days since I've had her, but, other than that, I haven't been away from her.

I hope they take good care of her.

tsjay

• Options
    Sorry to hear that tsjay. I don't remember, what was the cause of the leak? I got the jeep pretty wet yesterday (under carriage), I didn't see any leaks, but I am going to check the carpets today. We had some pretty heavy rain a while ago, everything was bone dry.
  • Options
    twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    the link to the Delivery Checklist: http://www.ewylie.com/jeep/delivery_checklist.htm

I take ZERO credit for this... Madman390 did the legwork and sent me the HTML file. I only host it, but will be glad to make any additions or changes that are needed as people actually use it.

nkelly1 - I think you're referring to a throttle body spacer. I've heard that adding one can help combustion and give you a bit more power. I have not been able to find out if this works on all Jeeps. Someone on another board mentioned that DC used a slightly higher throttle body to achieve some of this effect on '00 and '01 model Jeeps, but I have not looked into this to see if it would help '01 Jeeps. A link on an outstanding Jeep site: http://www.stu-offroad.com/airaid/air-1.htm scroll down and read what he writes on the Poweraid TBS.

Great Jeep weekend here.

-twylie

• Options
    Three posts all day? That ain't good! Come on people, let's go!

tsjay

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    lol, everyone is out crusing tsjay. You can't talk about them all the time, you gotta drive 'em now and then!

Which begs the question, why are you and I here :-)?

My new neighbor, who I haven't met, looks to be one of the several college kids who rent in my neighborhood for a sememster or year. His white Wrangler of unknown vintage was towed the other day, but was back home within a few hours. Curious to learn what sidelined him. I've seen him 3 times cruising in the neighborhood, plus his girlfriend (I assume) was driving it a while ago cutting through an alley and jumping the curb. The owner was riding shotgun with a big grin on his face.

cheers!

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• Options
    Drum us up some business!

tsjay