Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    I checked with my dealer, and he verified my suspicion. That other guy was charging me twice for the Dana 44. If you are already getting the Dana 44 as part of the canyon wheel and 30" tire option, then you pay only $285 more for trac lok.

I told my dealer that if it would not delay my Jeep in being built, to go ahead and add that feature. He will check the status of my order Monday and add trac lok, if my Jeep isn't in the "D" stage, which would mean it has been scheduled for assembly.

Anyone know of any reason NOT to get the trac lok, other than the initial cost?

tsjay
    Thanks a bunch for your input! For $285.00, I think it makes a lot of sense to add this option.

tsjay
    You could hear a pin drop in this group today!

It's much more fun when people are posting.

For one thing, some of you experienced Jeepers could answer my question about trac lok: is there any good reason NOT to get it?

Don't let me screw up my Jeep. Unless someone tells me otherwise, I'm going to try to add it to my options on my new Jeep.

Also, would love to hear from several of you with the 5-speed and 30" tires on your Sports as far as your gas mileage.

And, you guys can help me come up with another user name to go along with my new Jeep.

tsjay
  • harleydavidsonharleydavidson Member Posts: 3
    In the Jeep Wrangler 2001 brochure, it states that if you get the Dana 44-3 rear end, then it includes Trac-Loc and 3.73:1 axle ratio. If this is true why would you have to pay $285.00 for this option if the Dana comes standard with the 30" wheel group.
  • goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    Here is the long and short of it, I think: the trac-lok limited slip is a good investment for light-use Jeeps. My Jeep ends up in 4wd in two general cases: when I am on snow-packed mountain roads (this is constantly in the winter) and when I am hammering up and down National Forest roads. My last Jeep didn't have the trak-lok, this one does, and this one is more secure. Sucker feels GLUED down, even on heavily washboarded USFS roads.

It's not the best limited slip around though. It has clutch-packs that wear out and will eventually have to be replaced. Mine felt really tight when I got it (used to chirp the tires on tight turns) but it less effective now, though when I changed the differential oil a few thousand miles ago and added in the special Mopar lube it tightened up a bit.
    The brochure is confusing, and the Edmunds option list is too. Apparently, you DO get the Dana 44 with the $850.00 canyon wheel and 30" tire package, but you DON'T get trac lok unless you order it and pay the extra $285.00.

I checked this out in the www.jeep.com web site, where you can "build your own Jeep." The total price checked out exactly equal to what my dealer was showing as the retail price.

It looks like I picked a good dealer, not only because of the good deal he shot me, but because he knows what he's doing in selecting the proper options and putting them together in the proper packages. I just wish he had mentioned the trac lok and the price and asked me if I wanted it. At that time, though, I probably wouldn't have known whether that was something I wanted or not.

This should be a lesson to anyone still thinking about buying a Jeep off a dealer's lot or ordering one from the factory. Get someone who KNOWS Jeeps to help you get the most out of your Jeep by helping you to be sure you are getting the most appropriate options for your particular needs.

I should have known the value of the trac lok feature when I placed my order and should have included it from the beginning. Now, I have to decide whether to delay my build date (if my order is in the "D" stage), or just forgo the trac lok differential.

tsjay
    Thanks for the info. I am convinced that I should get the trac lok, and if I can add it without delaying my build date, I will definitely do so.

If it is a matter of delaying my build date and thus allowing the two-week Christmas shutdown of the assembly plant to become a factor in the delivery of my Jeep, what should I do? I might be looking at after Christmas anyway, it's going to be close. In your opinion, Goducks, is the trak loc important enough to wait a couple extra weeks for the Jeep to be built?

You mentioned after market conversions that are even better than factory stuff. How much lettuce are you talking?

tsjay

PS: Your writing about being on logging roads with your Jeep makes me green with envy. I'll bet it's beautiful where you live! I worked a couple years near Coeur d' Alene, Idaho, for the Forest Service, and I love that country. I've never been in Oregon, but the pictures I've seen are just fantastic.
  • harleydavidsonharleydavidson Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the info, what comes with the 30" wheel group if you get the automatic? Do you get the Dana 44 and 3.73 free? I believe they are not free of charge. Thanks.
    I am certainly far from being an expert (obviously) on the option packages. My best advice is to talk to a dealer that sells a lot of Wranglers. Unfortunately, just going to a Chrysler dealer doesn't necessarily assure you that you will get the right info. You need to find a guy that knows what he's doing. Some Chrysler dealers just sell an occasional Wrangler and no one knows squat about how to package options.

It is my understanding that if you go with the canyon wheel/30" tire package that cost $850.00, you will get the 3.73 Dana 44 rear end. I don't think it matters about automatic vs. 5-speed as far as the canyon wheel/30" tire option.

BUT DON'T TAKE MY WORD FOR IT! Check it out with a reputable dealer, or you can go to the web site www.jeep.com and get into the "build your own Jeep" section. I think the program will prevent you from adding conflicting options, and it will package the options you want in the most cost-efficient option group.

tsjay
    tsjay: I can't tell you whether the trak-loc is worth waiting for (that's up to you) but I can tell you that there are several aftermarket limited-slips that are better and will not wear out. The Detroit Truetrac is probably the best and retails for around $300. Installation will probably cost you another couple hundred in labor. Fooling around with differentials is not exactly a home-mechanic type of job.

The trak-loc, in contrast, relies on clutch-plates that will gradually wear out and lose efficiency (catching slips less and less). Changing your differential fluid often and adding the Mopar friction lube in there will slow this process but the friction plates will probably need to be replaced after 70 or 80 thousand miles. Not sure how much that will cost. Your differential won't stop working, just the limited slip feature until you replace the friction plates. If you don't get the trak-loc, and instead get a true-trac aftermarket unit installed, you'll never have to worry about that happening and the limited slip will always be as effective as it was when it was new.

So choose what ye will. The trak-loc is generally hated by the hardcore 4x4 crowd but I've found it adequate for my needs.
    I think I'll just let the Jeep come in without the trac lok if it's too late to get it without delaying the delivery.

If I can still get it without causing my Jeep to be late, then I'll get it.

I will look into the after market stuff later, if I end up without trac lok at delivery.

Your profile says you are from Eugene, Oregon. Is that right in the mountains? I know it is big timber country. Are you in or near the Cascades?
    I'll bet that is real Jeep country out there. I would think a Jeep or some other type if 4 X 4 is almost a necessity out there, unless you live in the city and never go up in the mountains, which would truly be a shame.

tsjay
    Eugene is in a valley west of the cascades, but yeah, Oregon is 4x4 country if you get into the Cascades--in the winter since they can get several feet of snow PER DAY in the winter (the plows run non-stop) and in the summer because few roads up there are paved. Subaru Outbacks are a bit more popular than Jeeps here though.

I snowboard about twice a week in the winter and like I said, the Wrangler handles the snow very well. I worry more about people sliding into ME than losing traction in my Jeep, especially people who can't seem to get it through their heads that a 4x4 doesn't stop any quicker than a regular car on ice.
    I saw a bumper sticker one time that I thought was hilarious. I think the controversy it refers to was in Oregon, but it might have been in Washington.

It said, "If you don't believe in logging, try wiping your [non-permissible content removed] with a spotted owl."

I might not have it word-for-word, but I'm close.

tsjay
    Guess what? The estimated ship date for my Jeep is 11/28/00! It was just ordered 11/15/00.

I have the VON and can call the 800 number to keep track of the progress.

I didn't ask for any special treatment: I guess I just hit the right time in the production schedule. I don't have a clue as to how they schedule the assembly line, but my particular Jeep must have fit their schedule just right.

Do they run SE's for a day or two and then Sport's for a day or two? Anybody know?

I don't know how long it will take to get to the dealer after it ships, but Toledo is only eight hours away, so maybe they won't ship by rail.

I would think maybe I can have it within a couple days after it ships.

tsjay
    It was the dealer that told me the estimated ship date was the 28th of Nov. I called that 800 number after the dealer gave me the VON, and Chrysler told me it was supposed to be assembled the third week of December.

The dealer had already told me that Chrysler adds a fudge factor to cover their butts when customers call about their orders, so maybe that's what is going on. Maybe the dealer got the accurate info when he checked on the status today. I hope so!

tsjay
  • 2001wrangler2001wrangler Member Posts: 112
    All of the Jeeps are made on the same line and they may make a Sport then an SE then a Sahara, they do not make one on Mon. another on Tues. or anything like that.

If you Jeep is being produced that quickly, I would guess it is because of a low # of orders in the system right now. I would trust the info from the dealer, rather than the 800 #.

I live 4 hours from Toledo (southern Ohio) and it took my Sport over a week to get from Toledo to my dealer. If the true production date is 11-28 I would guess delivery to you would be the week of 12-11.....just a guess.

Good Luck!
    Thanks for the info. Whenever it gets here, it can't be too soon!

Are you in the Cincinnati area? I'm a Reds fan in western Ky., about four hours from Cincinnati- been to several games, but not in the last couple years, though.

tsjay
    I am about 2 hrs east of Cincy along the Ohio River.
  • ryan23aryan23a Member Posts: 6
    So I'm curious to know... does the 2001 Tranny sound the same as the 2000?

(Sounds like a diesel when the clutch is out)

I think I saw a post about something being drilled the wrong way. Is Chrsyler doing a recall or TSB?
  • myfirstjpmyfirstjp Member Posts: 1
    I just ordered my first jeep. I got it in flame red, auto, abs, 30" wheels, tinted windows, a/c, subwoofer, and so on. I pretty much checked off everything that the Sahara has except for those green seats ( love em or hate em). Being that this is my first jeep any advice? I paid 26,000 out the door which includes dest and tax. I ordered it on 11/11 and can't wait. The dealer told me 6 to 8 weeks, is this true? I hope I get pleasantly surprised.
  • boggleboesboggleboes Member Posts: 8
    As of this date , there is no formal recall by DC on this problem. I would imagine that there will be if people keep complaining about the build quality of these vehicles. (some people in here feel its ok for DC to spit out garbage) But they do or they should know about the problem my source tells me its not technically a tsb? take it how you want, but the problem is real and it is a problem. Good luck and keep us posted
  • spartan9spartan9 Member Posts: 6
    Has anyone out there noticed that their Jeep leaks water from the ground up when it rains? I've got a 2000 and 2001 Jeep and the 2000 did leak and the whole bottom had to be resealed. Now the 2001 is doing it and it was taken in today to be looked at. Hopefully it'll get fixed.
  • gilbusgilbus Member Posts: 13
    I'm considering 2" lifters and 33" wheels. Anyone have an opinion about using lifters?

-Gil-
  • ttt6ttt6 Member Posts: 11
    OK i'm officially nervous. I too am in the 2K1 TJ market and everybody seems (at least in the last 100 posts) warm and fuzzy, BUT now a couple of problem posts has crept up.

I know the TJ seems crude (engineering wise) AND I've come to terms with this BUT I don't wanna gamble with my hard earned $22,000+ (loaded sport)- SO is this isolated or can i expect a 'rough' ride- I want 5-speed. I know of no subsitute for the TJ so Im between a rock and a ...well you know.
    Boggleboes, thanks for the info. I keep checking to see if it shows up as TSB or Recall...

Spartan9, I too had a TON of water in mine, there was actually 1.5 inches in the passenger foot well the day I picked it up. U can imagine my dissappointment. Anwya, the 3 places mine leaked were the seal on passng door, the floor (at the weld near the firewall) Thats why it appears to leak from the ground up. And I had some leaking at the rear tailgate. What they did to fix it: Gooped the floor with tar like stuff, replaced passenger door and tailget seals, and they found a spot at the top of the rear glass on the hard top. Replaced seals, and re-algined glass.
    So far, no leaks at all, and I run with no carpets, so I would see them if they were there.

TT6: I've had a couple of other stupid problems that are annoying (which I'll post after this!), but no matter what, I still love my Jeep. Wouldn't trade it for anything. I miss the dashboard of my YJ, but thats it. Also, keep in mind, you'll see alot of negative posts here cuz people want answers, and its a chance to vent. You dont see all the ones that are happy.
    BTW, I too paid for mine (not leased) and I can understand your concern. It's different when it's YOURS, not the leasing company!!
    Regarding the noisy tranny in the 2000. Spartan9, you said you have the 2001, does it make the same noise when the clutch is out?

Also, I have a "rubbing-whining" noise coming from the front tire or axle. It sounds like normal tire noise but about 10 times as loud, so I know its not that. Also, when its dry, there's no noise, but when the roads are wet, the noise is there. I've had it to the dealership a few times, but of course it doesnt make the noise when they have it, so nothing has been done. Any ideas??
    I was seeing almost zero posts about people having trouble with their TJ's, and now that I have one ordered, here they come!

I sure hope I don't have any problems with mine. I am giving up a virtually new (seven months old) Grand Prix GT that has been an absolutely, positively perfect car in order to get my Jeep.

I don't think I will have any regrets as long as the Jeep doesn't have problems, but I sure would hate to think I am giving up a car that has not been back to the dealer for even a minor problem in its first 19.5 K miles for a vehicle that's going to have transmission problems and serve as a portable bath tub.

tsjay
  • spartan9spartan9 Member Posts: 6
    The tranny is a tad bit louder w/ the clutch out but when in the the tranny is quieter. All in all it isn't bad. Thanks for the H2O answer. It turns out that a new soft top pillar frame has to be put on. Since people think that there are more problem posts popping up I thought I might let people know that my 2001 is wonderful. I'm lovin' it.
  • kmq102kmq102 Member Posts: 9
    First, Congrats!
    Second, About Time!!! I started reading your postsin June when I was researching my Jeep (which I bought in July)
    Third, we got the same deal. I paid $200 over invoice with absolutely NO add on costs. Ie, advertising, dealer prep, etc.
    Fourth, The only problems I have encountered has been a cracked fuel pump. (not a big deal. metal flaw) and bad paint on a small panel under the windshield.
    Goodluck and waive if you see me!
    Kevin-Pa
    Yep, Kevin, it has been a long and arduous struggle to finally get to this point.

I did things that no sensible person would do, just to get my Jeep. I took out a home equity loan to pay off some of that debt on the Grand Prix, but, even so, I'll still more than likely carry over some of that debt into the Jeep loan (unless I can sell the car before time to trade it in).

I suffer the wrath of an enraged woman because of what I have done (bad part is, she's right). I guess you saw my poem a few posts back. I have to admit though, her reaction hasn't been nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I guess after all these car trades, she is just shell shocked. She just kind of wanders aimlessly around the house, bumping into things, and talking to herself.

Thanks for your kind words. I am glad you are satisfied with your Jeep. I just hope I get a good one. I have bought so many new vehicles over the years without getting a lemon, that I am afraid the law of averages is going to catch up with me.

I will not be too disappointed if there is a minor problem or two that is efficiently corrected under warranty. I had a new '99 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4 X 4 that had some problems, but the dealer that I took it to for warranty work was great about taking care of the problems.

Catch you later.

tsjay

(maybe need to change to tsjeep? I definitely want a new user name that has to do with my new Jeep- help me think of something.)
    Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

I hope evryone didn't eat so much that they are too full and sleepy to post today. It sure is quiet in here.

tsjay
    Hey, guys and gals, what is good to put on the hard tops on Wranglers? It's a textured surface, if I remember right, and I wonder what is good to put on it to preserve the paint.

Also, how soon should I wax that new Jeep? It should only be a couple weeks or less old when I get it, and I've heard that it isn't a good idea to wax a brand new vehicle until its a month or two old. Anything to that, or is that just BS?

tsjay
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    To all you guys who have jeeps on order ,you will have to wait a little longer .Both Toledo jeep plants are being closed next week(Nov 27-Dec1)for a one week layoff ,as dealers have excess inventory. Also the Grand Cherokee plant is down for a week.Sorry for the bad news!!!
  • jacorobjacorob Member Posts: 37
    Well, i've had my 2001 wrangler for a month now and havn't had a single problem. :)

just thought i'd let you all know.

Bob
    Ottowrkr:

Tell me you are just kidding! Mine was supposed to be built next Tuesday, the 28th. How solid is your info? Is this for real?

Nooooooooo!!!!! Nooooooo!!!!!!! No!!!!!!!!

Please, please, please!!! Tell me you're just kidding!

tsjay
    What you have not heard ?? go to this link to see the story http://www.autonews.com/html/main/stories/dcx1122.htm#plant sorry but its true!!
    I am ashamed of myself for not thinking of the people who will be much more severely effected by the plant shut down than I will.

I am only going to have to wait a little longer for my new Jeep, and, in the mean time, I will be driving a virtually new Grand Prix GT.

There are probably some families who will suffer a loss of income because of the shut down, and it comes here in the holiday season. I guess the UAW people are pretty well protected by their contract, but I know there will be some people who work at companies that supply goods and services to the auto industry who will be effected.

I hope everyone economically effected by this comes through it ok. I wish you all the best.

tsjay
    Hey, everybody, how 'bout posting some articles? I am depressed over the possibility that my Jeep will be late. It would help if you guys would at least "talk Jeep" to me.

I asked about what is good to put on the hard tops to preserve the paint. Can someone tell me what works well to keep the top nice and black?
    Also, the fender flares.

I also was wondering if you guys think it is ok to immediately wax a brand new Jeep. Some people say you ought to wait a while before waxing, but I don't know if they know what they are talking about.

Should I just go ahead and have the dealer locate me a Jeep like I want or something close to it? I could handle the Silverstone if they can't find me a white one. At a minimum, I would have to have the 5-speed and the canyon wheels/30" tires with the Dana 44. I could take a soft top as long as it has full metal doors.

What do you guys think?

tsjay
  • playdohplaydoh Member Posts: 2
    I just joined this site because I am seriously considering buying a used Wrangler. I have always wanted one and I'm in need of a second vehicle, so I thought, why not? Any help or advice you "experts" could throw my way, I would be grateful.
    There are 2 Wranglers in my area, that seem like good buys, that I am deciding between. The first is a '97 SE with 73K. It has a soft top, A/C, and is black. The dealer is asking $9850. The other Wrangler is a '95, however it only has 25K. I'm not sure if it is an SE or S. I know that might make a difference. The '95 has extra's added; 2" suspension lift, and chrome, front, back, and sides. It also has a soft top and is black. This guy is asking $9995.
    Is there a big difference between the makes of the '95 and '97. Some say that the newer models run better. Is it true? Or are the older models built better? I need advice. What is the better deal between the two? Or are they both still overpriced and I need to talk them down. The most they say they will go down will only be to $9500. Thanks for any help you may give.
    I know of nothing to protect the hardtop paint, just wash it . As for waxing the Jeep ,no problem. They polish them in the factory ,to fix small paint flaws. So why shouldn't you do the whole Jeep. As for waiting thats your call, but one good thing about buying one from the lot is you can actually go over the Jeep and check fit and finish,the paint quality and drive it before you buy. When you order you take the chance of buying and giving a down payment sight unseen. This only works if they can find you one you want. Good luck
    Well lets see .First you have to ask yourself,do you want a TJ(97) or YJ(95)? The 95 was the last year of the YJ ,so its an old design.The 97 was the first year of the TJ (no 96 models were built)so you have an all new vehicle design. The TJ is much improved over the YJ. Suspension on a TJ is amazing with the coil springs,the YJ has a very hard ride with its leaf springs.I think the TJ sounds better ,also the YJ has a modified suspension and if this not done correctly it could cause you problems down the road. Also one is a dealer selling it and the other is private seller.With the dealer you can always go back to him if you have a problem ,as the private guy if he will warranty this Jeep, probably not.If you are new to Jeeps buying from a dealer is the way to go . Less of a chance of getting a LEMON. Hope this helps
    Hi Otto!

You brought up some good points about the potential disadvantages of ordering a vehicle from the factory. I was planning on really checking out the Jeep before taking delivery. They can't expect me to accept a vehicle with defects, at least I hope not. If they locate one for me and bring it in from some other dealer, I would also expect to have the right to inspect it and accept it only if it meets my approval.

What kind of vehicles do you build at your plant?

Also, I have a question about quality problems on brand new vehicles. Don't almost all problems people have with their new vehicles relate to design problems or to your suppliers and sub-suppliers delivering poor quality parts? In other words, don't you guys on the line put the vehicles together right about 99.99% of the time?

I am assuming you work on the line, but maybe you don't. If you don't mind telling us, what is your job?

Thanks

tsjay
  • playdohplaydoh Member Posts: 2
    In just talking to a friend, he told me that 4 cyl. Wranglers are more prone to transmission problems. He said that with anyone he heard that had a 4 cyl. Wrangler, they had to change transmissions every couple of years. He said that those who had 6 cyl., the Sports, and the Saharas, they did not have this problem. Is this info. accurate? Is this 4 cyl. problem only seen in YJ's and has been fixed with the new TJ model in '97? I need to know, as I'm probably going to buy either the '95 YJ, or the '97 TJ that I described in my previous entry.

Thanks for any help....
    playdoh
  • gasapplegasapple Member Posts: 4
    Greetings All,

I am in the process of negotiating with a dealer on a 2000 Wrangler Sport. Excited about it although I cannot stand some of the stock components. I am definitely going to lift/modify as soon as possible.

The first question I have is regarding wheels and tires. I really like the "all business" black steel wheels but cannot find an on-line retailer other than American Racing, and I just don't like the way theirs look (the emblem and all). I am going to go with a 2 inch body lift for now (to preserve warranty) in order to provide room for the 32 inch tires. Which brings me to my next question: I am probably going with the BFG All Terrains. How wide should I get them? I don't want them too out of control but wide enough to perform off-road and look good as well. Suggestions? What's the most popular width and/or tire measurements for 32" tires?

Well, that should do it for now. Any other recommendations on reliable retailers/web sites for components would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    gasapple
    If you are only going to lift the body, you will have to make suspension modifications to allow any tires wider than stock to fit. I know someone with a 2001 Sport who put 31x10.50's on it and they rub. You should talk to your dealer about the warranty. Our dealer said they will honor the warranty on the motor even if a suspension lift is installed.

I am personally looking to put a 4" suspension lift and 33x12.50's on my 2001 very soon.
    I intended to include this in my previous post.

Don't be discouraged if the first dealer or two you go to will not make you a reasonable offer. That almost happened to me. I came close to giving up on the idea of getting a new Jeep. I sure wasn't going to pay any $9000 to $10,000 difference.

I was beginning to think that there was something wrong with my research, since the first couple of offers were so far from what I was expecting.

I'm sure glad I checked at least one more place! I do think I would have just given up if that last dealer hadn't shot me such a good deal. I shouldn't have, though, cause there's lots of dealers out there.

Also, it's a buyers market right now on the Jeeps. They are taking an unscheduled shut down at the Jeep plant, because there are too many unsold Jeeps right now. The pipeline is full, and Jeeps are not selling well. It should be a great time to buy one.

tsjay
    Thanks for your response 2001.

Actually, I know someone who has a 2000 Wrangler with a 2" body lift and 32" tires and there's plenty of clearance (even off roading). A custom Jeep shop actually recommended the lift with the 32" tires. I was told that any type of suspension lift would void Jeep's standard 3 year 36,000 mile warranty. I am talking drive train and all other components. Perhaps the "engine" warranty will remain intact but not the other parts. That's a potential concern for me. I will start with the 2" body and then do a 2" suspension later. Thoughts?

Anyway, what's a pretty decent width for 32" tires? 12.00"?

TSJAY -
    Negotiate what you'll pay for the Jeep FIRST and then SECOND, start playing with your trade in. That keeps the dealer from squeezing other areas.
    Don't even tell them you will be trading until you negotiate a suitable deal on the Jeep.
    Thanks for your response 2001.

Actually, I know someone who has a 2000 Wrangler with a 2" body lift and 32" tires and there's plenty of clearance (even off roading). A custom Jeep shop actually recommended the lift with the 32" tires. I was told that any type of suspension lift would void Jeep's standard 3 year 36,000 mile warranty. I am talking drive train and all other components. Perhaps the "engine" warranty will remain intact but not the other parts. That's a potential concern for me. I will start with the 2" body and then do a 2" suspension later. Thoughts?

Anyway, what's a pretty decent width for 32" tires? 12.00"?

TSJAY -
    Negotiate what you'll pay for the Jeep FIRST and then SECOND, start playing with your trade in. That keeps the dealer from squeezing other areas.
    Don't even tell them you will be trading until you negotiate a suitable deal on the Jeep.
    Howdy!

Although I forgot to mention it in my post, that's exactly the way I go about trading. I first ask for the best no-trade deal on the new vehicle, and only after hearing their offer do I mention a trade-in.

You are right about not really knowing what they are doing to you, if you let them know what you will be trading in. They will make it sound like they are coming off the new vehicle more than they really are, or they will make you think they are giving you more for your trade-in than they really are. You just don't know what kind of a deal you are getting that way.

I forgot to do that at the first dealer, so maybe that's why they thought they could rape me.

tsjay
    Haha - I hear you. Just started my negotiations (via e-mail). I don't like it one bit. I am getting use to seeing a vehicle I really like and then not making too big a deal of it if it doesn't work out. Although it's tough because it occupies your thoughts (new tires, lift kit, etc.) - and then I get disappointed if the deal doesn't work out! It's only happened once so I am trying to be open-minded.

I started my workings with a private seller but he didn't even have the courtesy of calling me back after my initial offer. Regardless if it was too low, he should have still let me know. I was willing to play ball. His loss I guess.
    I swore I wouldn't set foot on a dealer's lot because after all, they are there to make money as the middle man. Looks like a good deal though. We'll see if they come down.

Let me know how things work out.

gasapple