Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• goducks1goducks1 Member Posts: 432
    I don't know how much weigh they are pulling, but when I towed a 5'x8' trailer down from Oregon a couple months ago (about 2200 lbs) I averaged 11 or 12 mpg on the highway, compared to my usual 19 mpg. It was better than I expected, and the 4.0L engine had plenty enough power to do it.
  • sasquatch_2000sasquatch_2000 Member Posts: 800
    Boy, that Dakar would sure put a sting in Liberty sales!! (and Explorer, and Escape, and Isuzu,Toyota,Nissan,Chevy, etc.)!!!!
    The Willys looks OK. (As long as doors are removable!!!)
    2 simple points of clarification:

1)
    1997 Wrangler sport with sound bar.
    Can 6 1/2 speakers fit?

2)
    filling the soundbar... do you mean that white puffy fiber fill grannys use for stuffing pillows and such? Would spray in foam-in-a-can insulation stuff work? (brand I have handy is called "real good stuff" or something like that). Is the point to block the sound from passing through entire bar?
    The Dakar ain't gonna happen. Or rather, it already did--it was the inspiration for the Liberty, which also took clues from the Jeepster concept (recognize that grill?). That's the whole point of these concepts, to try out new designs. Most will be discarded, and elements will pop up in new vehicles. People seem confused about the Icon--that is not the "next" Wrangler, just a design exercise. Some parts of it may end up in the next Wrangler, but that's all. Chrysler is not going to shoot its own foot off and bring a vehicle that ugly to market. That would be GM (Aztek, anyone?).
  • sandmaansandmaan Member Posts: 8
    goducks :
    I totally agree. I couldn't fathom a world w/o a true Jeep in it, which none of
    those concepts are. thats why I was concerned when I read an article saying
    that the Willys was intended to replace the "aging Wrangler".
    and I've heard that sales are down for 2001, but I'm sure thats mostly the
    economy.

anyway, so far, the only big change I've heard that the Wrangler's gonna get
    for next year is the 3.7L V6 from the Liberty.
  • sajeepsajeep Member Posts: 4
    Wondered if anybody has replaced their seats with either Steel Horse or Bestops brand of seat
    This jeep is used on a ranch and we really want something durable not fancy. Cost is also an issue I've found both for under 125.00ea. new but just don't know which way to go. If someone has replaced their seats with one that they really like and have found to hold up to a lot of abuse PLEASE post and tell me which you used and where to get them cheap!
  • davidb72davidb72 Member Posts: 174
    Stopped by the shop where I got my alarm installed and they said they could put keyless entry in for about $170.00. What do you all think? (That would use the same transmitter as my alarm.)
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382

...at 6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern. Hope to see you there!

http://www.edmunds.com/towchat/jeepchat.html

How much did they give you for your 30" tires when you traded them in? Also, how many miles did you have on them? I may have a chance to get some 31" BFG AT T/A but don't want to get hosed on the 30"'s that came with the Jeep! Thanks!
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Hi! I was quoted a price of $641.00 for five BFG 31 X 10.50 All Terrains mounted, balanced, tax and all. I thought that I might as well forget the idea, since I couldn't afford to spend that kind of money.

I asked about trade-in allowance, and the guy said for me to bring the Jeep by the shop and they would make me an offer. I went there during lunch hour the same day, and the guy looked at my tires and made a phone call. When he got off the phone he asked me how $95 for the spare and $83 apiece for the other four sounded. I THOUGHT I WOULD PASS OUT! I said, "When can you do it?" He said "Right now."

I ended up spending only $188.63 instead of $641.00!

The spare had never been on the ground and the other four had 10,500 miles on them. I think the guy must have screwed up somehow: I can't believe those trade-ins of mine were really worth that kind of money. But, hey, I wasn't gonna argue.

I wouldn't count on getting that kind of deal, Davidb. I hope you do, but that must have been one of those once in a lifetime deals.

Hope this helps.

tsjay

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
    Thanks for the quick reply. I'll try and squeeze their arms as much as I can. I don't know if I can squeeze that hard though...
  • twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    Madman - thanks for the info. on the Sony headunit. I'm sure the features on that unit allow you to shape the sound a lot better than before. I'd like to get a changer but have not done it for the same reason you mention (space). MP3 seems like a good way to go. I did find out that the Pioneer 1.5 DIN unit (fully fills the opening) has an AUX input that I could run an MP3 player or my laptop into for longer trips.

Bama - I got the XTC baffles from Crutchfield.com and they were $7. You may be able to get them from a local stereo shop.

Sas - Poly-fil is pillow stuffing. The object is not to seal it off. The Poly-fil "tricks" the speakers into reacting as if they are in a larger cavity then they actually are. Dampening the speakers gives them a better bass response and a more natural sound.

Perfect Jeep weather in ATL...

-twylie
    Perhaps I'll try twisting their arms instead of squeezing them... Wow, a senior moment at the age of 29. Looks like it's gonna be confusing for me in the future. :D
    I swapped the visors on our Jeep last night (left to right and vice versa). I started by removing the brackets, but they are not interchangable. Next step was to pull the visor from the silver bar it's attached to. Once I had removed the visors, I installed them on the other brackets and reinstalled. Now I don't have to see the annoying govt. warning stickers reminding me I'm driving a vehicle that will tip over.

I figure this will be a hit with nkelly1 as he strikes me as the kind of guy who would appreciate less govt. intervention and warnings. I'll have the before and after pics up by next week.

-twylie
  • appstate88appstate88 Member Posts: 40
    Hey, dfahy68,
    My wife's '98 Sahara had almost a crackling sound from the rear end. (Not hers, the jeep's...) It was always when taking off and turning. It also would never happened cold, so it was hard to duplicate for the mechanics. They checked brakes, wheels, and yes even shocks. Nothing helped. Well, after moving back to North Carolina we found a great service guy at Auto Park Jeep in Cary, NC who said we had a bad rear axle. He replaced it, problem solved. It was after the warranty, but since there were service records showing our complaints they had no problem with fixing it. Good thing since it was well in the $1500 dollar range if we had to pay for it. If you would like the details on what was replaced I would be happy to find the receipt. Let me know.
    Do 6 1/2 inch speakers fit the sound bar?
  • scmhockeyscmhockey Member Posts: 45
    I just looked in my Crutchfield catalog, and it says the max in the soundbar for 97-01 is 5 1/4. I believe that is what I have in mine.
    The general consensus is that ANYTHING made by Steel Horse is to be avoided. The poor quality of their products is legendary, whereas Bestop has a very good reputation, at least for their tops. I also seem to remember reading on the web somewhere--not here I don't think--about a Jeeper who yanked his Steel Horse seats out within a couple months because they broke down so quickly. Go for the Bestop ones.
    Also, I saw today on Quadratec's website that they have the Bestop rear bench seats 30% off, if that helps.
    Old Bamatazz is going to be passing through Bowling Green, Ky, and that's only about an hour from my house, so we are gonna hook up for breakfast Sunday morning. They are staying in BG Saturday night after helping Michelle's sister move to Louisville. That will be really cool to get to meet Terry and Michelle!

I think the weather is supposed to be dry, so maybe I can drive Thelma Jane and they can meet her.

tsjay

• spyrodragonspyrodragon Member Posts: 147
    What all did they replace? You can get a whole new D35 rear axel for 1500, heck I can buy a slightly used D44 for less than that. Glad you didn't get charged for that. What exactly was wrong? Were your gears screwed up and slipping on the driveshaft?

Happy Jeepin'
  • jacknimblejacknimble Member Posts: 171
    David, go for it. Let me know what brand of equipment they use - I'm going to check around here to see if anyone does it. The rear door is my real problem - having to use the key, and remember to lock it all the time is a hassle. I've accidently left it unlocked about 30% of the time. With keyless, one push of the button does the job.
    It was really fun to meet someone that I have chatted with and exchanged posts with for so long! Especially, Jeep people.

We had a nice breakfast together and I really enjoyed it. Bamatazz and Michelle are really neat people!

Hope you guys got home ok, Terry.

tsjay

I am not using it this week, but if the weather clears up, I'll take the doors off again.

(Hey, it's real easy to wax the doors inside at night...no bugs, do it on your own time frame!)
    spyrodragon,
    Good questions on the rear-end noise. I will have to find the invoice on exactly what was replaced.

The problem wasn't obvious except for the noise. Everything worked like a champ except for the loud grinding noise when taking off. We drove it for well over 5000 miles before the rear axle was replaced.

Just like dfahy68's '99, our '98 has 5 spd, "30 wheels and traction control. Don't know if any of those have any thing to do with it, but we have had no problems since the rear axle replacement.

I will get back to you when I get details on what was replaced!
    On my recent trip to the Cape, I just refilled my tank yesterday. Now, keep in mind this was a lot of highway miles, although it was pretty loaded with camping gear on the hitch-haul shelf out back and about as high as the seat headrests inside. Also, this included a week of commuting locally (short trips). Here are the numbers:

last fillup 54,235 miles
    latest fillup 54,492 miles
    equals 257 miles traveled
    13.428 gallons of gas (to fill it to same level),

comes out to 19.14 miles per gallon.

I consider this to be pretty good.

I just this past Saturday put on the Powerraid throttle body spacer plate, and notice (maybe) a little more power. I guess I should have 1/4 miled it to get some real figure, but too late now.

I am curious how the plate will affect mileage. It claims maybe 1-4 mpg improvement.

Also towed the boat trailer first time. I think this is going to work out just great as an awesome SUV!
  • sajeepsajeep Member Posts: 4
    I felt the same way and have read a lot on this site about other steelhorse products that didn't sound so hot but them 99. dollar seats looked good, but having talked to people around town I think Bestops is the way to go even if they are 124. Well if nobody else has anything to add I think I'll go to the Quadratec site and order me some Bestops replacement seats. PS out of curiosity I called the local Jeep Dealer and believe it or not they don't sell complete seats only parts. Now if that ain't stupid what is, think of the extra money Jeep could make even if they used after market vendors. I'm in business to make money and if I can sell tops, seats, and other parts to Jeepers than I make more money and protect my ability to keep doing business. But there aren't a lot of Jeepers out here singing high praises for Dealers only OUR JEEPS.
  • nkelly1nkelly1 Member Posts: 105
    When I noticed the carbon build up on my tail pipe (I was getting 19 mpg) I changed my shifting pattern to get rid of the carbon, it worked. Unfortunately my mileage went down (16.5 mpg). So I have changed it again and it has come up to 17.5 mpg. Keep in mind the only time I go into 5th is when I figure I will be going over 55 mph. I am holding her at 2200 to 2300 rpm.
    Who cares?

If a little soot builds up, so what? Just get on the highway at 65-70 for 15-20 minutes and it should be a non-problem.
    If I had a used jeep and needed seats, I'd get some nice ones out of a 5.0 Mustang.

Apparently, they have the same exact brackets and are interchangeable. I bet there are lots of nice multi-adjustable ones in junkyards from kids wrecking five oh's.
  • lookin4saharalookin4sahara Member Posts: 53
    and see what was going on. So, how is everyone? I have been MIA. Just got back from a trip to Vermont and New Hampshire. Driving through those mountains in a topless wrangler sure would have capped off a great trip.....oh well.... No jeep yet. I put it on hold for now.....I see someone started the future wrangler conversation again. I hope the Icon does not replace the wrangler. Ugh!! ....my 2 cents on seats....I would try and find a pair of the original green sahara seats from the 80's......talk to you all later......

still huggin' my cherokee
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Seats all depend on the individual, really. I love the stock seats in my Wrangler Sport so much that I wish I could put them in my Taco (we've decided we can't afford to dump it, so I'm looking for replacement seats). Both my husband and I grew to hate the seats in the Tacoma after a couple of hours. On the other hand, the Wrangler is comfortable for both of us. As we test drove a number of other cars when we were thinking about getting rid of the Taco, I noticed that sometimes he would prefer one seat over me or I would prefer something he didn't like. We're just lucky we both like the Wrangler.
  • nkelly1nkelly1 Member Posts: 105
    I do, if you don't know why.. I ain't wasting my time telling you.
  • maryapruittmaryapruitt Member Posts: 11
    Hi Y'all!
    Towed the 4X8 trailer and got 15mpg.

Will continue towing our camping and boating equipment and the Jeep handled it very well.

Thanks,
    Mary Ann
    Signed my wife and father-in-law up for a Jeep Jamboree in the NC Mountains this fall. It was an anniversary present and I have to say it has been the biggest hit for a present that I have ever given. And they don't go until October!

Anybody been to one and have advice on how to maximize the experience?

Thanks!
    I checked out your page and the roof rack and trailer look great. Your site mentioned that your husband is a SOT kayak guy. I'm interested in what type he has and the decisions leading to its purchase. Feel free to respond off the board (my email and webpage are in my profile) since this is about as OT as it gets. Thanks,

-twylie
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Oh I don't know - my wife is an open canoeist (she swam on the Main Payette last Sunday, lol), and I ran the Hiwassee several dozen times back in the 70's. Sometimes the hosts enjoy a little side tracking :-)

Enjoyed your page, Mary - I took some classes with both GCA and TSRA way back when.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

If any of you are thinking about installing a CB but don't know where for lack of space... Check this out... http://www.cbrack.com/NewCBrack/ I just installed mine today and have to give a big thumbs up! The cool thing is that it is for more than just CB. Other radios, switches, lights, etc... This is a very sturdy product produced by a fellow Jeeper. If you have considered overhead storage in the past, definately check it out. I have no connection to the product, I am just a very, very happy customer.
    Me and my girlfriend will be at that Jambo. We'll have to meet up sometime while were up there. One question. Do you have any mods done to your jeep. If not I HIGHLY suggest getting some sort of aftemarket gas tank skid plate. The best one out there is a KILBY at http://www.kilbyenterprises.com/ it's a couple hundred bucks but it's the ONLY thing that saved my girlfriends tank when she took hers up there stock. Other than that, rock rails are really good for Tellico, you'll want to take your side steps off because you WILL brake them off (she did). Another great thing is to disconnect your front sway bar. Go get a Torx head, (I think it's a 55 or 56) and remove that when your offroading, this is something you will HAVE to do to get maximum articulation out of your suspension, and believe me you'll need every bit of it. If you have any more question email me at MoviMkr615@aol.com, and look for a Black TJ with a roof rack, 3" lift and 33" tires, and probably a pirate flag on the back of the CB antenna. and a Yellow one set up the same way except without a roof rack.

Hope to see you there and happy jeepin'
    Great to hear you will be there.

My wife and father in law are stoked and ready to go, but I'm afraid I won't be there. Heading overseas for a few months. This was kind of a present to help ease the way for my volunteering. I figured October in Murphy would help some.

You will enjoy chatting with my father in law. He is from Washington State and is a Willys guy from way back. That's where my wife gets her love of Jeeps.

Her Wrangler is a '98 Sahara soft top with the Bear wheels. It is stock except for the a hitch. You have lots of great suggestions, and I will pass them on to her.

Let's stay in touch.
  • bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    Hello Jeepers..
    I am still here..having some computer problems..
    Let everyone know iahavent left all you guys.
    We had a great time meeting Tom in Kentucky last sunday. He is a pretty good guy, despite what all of you say about him.
    Tazz is doing great, Gonna try to install an amp sometime this week..

Keep Jeepin
    Bamatazz
    Sorry to hear you won't be there but I'll be sure to look for your wife and her father. He had a Willy's that's so awesome! I just saw a beautiful one when I was in florida this month. If you have any questions just email me at MoviMkr615@aol.com also, this is for EVERYONE, you can visit www.muddyyellowjeep.com to see my girlfriend's and my jeep. Catch ya later

Happy Jeepin'
    6 and 1/2 inch
    soundbar

Do they fit? Anyone do this?

I know the screw holes match up fine, but that is it so far...
    Now that I've settled into San Diego, I'm starting to realize that having the hard top down here is unnecessary, especially considering I have a soft top too. I don't have any good prospects for long-term storage down here, and renting a storage unit indefinitely would eventually be more expensive than the top itself. My parents have tons of storage at their farm in PA--if I could figure out a way to get it there. Does anyone know if it is reasonable or possible to ship a hard top across the country? How? Can it be done for less than $300 or so?
  • sfjeepssfjeeps Member Posts: 66
    Look at Forward Air (www.forwardair.com) They have a great set up and shipping cost is the best. We have shipped 100 pound bumpers without any problems.

This has already been answered many times in this forum. Some 6 1/2 fit without modification, some don't. Boston Acoustics won't fit without drilling and cutting, but Sony Xplode will. All 5 1/4 will fit. Take it to a stereo shop and have them test fit the ones you want; it will take 10 min. You not only have to worry about the cutout and the mounting holes, but the depth of the speaker. Some may require a spacer due to their depth.

FWIW, continually posting questions without acknowledgement of the answers that people have taken the time to post for you will not get you the best response.

-twylie
    I had yet to see a reference to 6 1/2 inch speakers here other than my queries about them.

The search capabilities of this board do not work, so that is out.

I was hoping to mail order some speakers from www.crutchfield.com, but might just have to go the local route...

thanks (but no thanks)
    hmm...shipping by air? I'm thinking of ground freight or something like that. Are there companies that could safely bring it across the country intact? I'm guessing this thing will have to be attached to a pallet somehow. I want a company that will do that here in San Diego and drop it off, intact, in my parents' barn in rural PA.
  • bamatazzbamatazz Member Posts: 311
    Hey..
    try out this site
    www.dasautoshippers.com..
    i've heard they are the best with auto shipping..
    hope this helps.

Hey guys..I am on Day 4 being topless this is great. I might be able to squeeze one more day.

sas-
    I belive crutchfiled will be the way to go.
    if you buy speakers from them they will send you a
    OEM speaker hook-up with your purchase

Keep Jeepin
    BamaTazz