Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Avenger

Comments

• cinnykaycinnykay Member Posts: 1
    Hey, all....have taken my '97 to the shop because sometimes it won't start....just sometimes....it tests perfect on the computer and other tests they ran....then this past weekend, it took over an hour of cranking to get it started....drove it about an hour to get home and it hasn't started since....just cranks and cranks....we have tried jump starting it, unhooking the battery for a few moments and a couple of other weird things....standing on one foot, etc....but it may run and start great for a month, then all of a sudden, this will happen for a week or so....ANY ONE with ANY ideas?....thanks, Cindy
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Cinnykay, you might want to ask the folks in the "No-Start" Problems discussion -- they're likely to have ideas for you.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    Is yours and ES with the 2.5L? Cranckcase sensor. I'll bet a dollar and a doughnut on a faulty crankcase sensor, even though it should show up on the 'puter!
  • littlekiralittlekira Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 loaded 5 speed manual avenger that I love. It's peppy, comfortable and totally cool looking. Unfortunately the timing belt broke and the head gasket is leaking oil. It has 151,0000 miles on it and I have already put a bunch of $$$ into it. So it is a very sad day that I have to give up my beloved avenger and get something else. I haven't decided what to do with it yet but I would like to get something for it.
  • ganryu34ganryu34 Member Posts: 17
    Actually, I just had a similiar issue with my 98 Avenger ES (V6) back in March. My car stopped all together just cranking and cranking. Nevertheless, I towed it to the dealer and about $400 later for a camshaft position sensor. I didn't think there was such a thing, but since they replaced it I haven't had anymore problems. I hope this helps. :D
  • allrnothingallrnothing Member Posts: 1
    I've been looking at a 98 Avenger ES w/70,000 miles on it leather sunroof etc.
    I think I can get it for around $3,000 seems to run great, excellent sound system.
    Only thing I saw wrong with it was the usual fogged up headlights.
    Any pros or cons on this would be appreciated.
    Thanks
  • clulessdodownrclulessdodownr Member Posts: 1
    I own a 98 Dodge Avenger ES 2.5L V6 110,000 miles and I am baffled. The car dies when you are coming to stop. (red light, stop sign) The worst parts is, that it happens a few times a week, not everytime I come to a stop. It occasionally dies in the middle of driving. It appears to be completely random. If there is any pattern I would say that it happens more often when making short trips when it is hot outside and when the car is completely warmed up. I recently changed the spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor, and fuel filter. The dealership found nothing and suggested a complete fuel system cleaning. That was done and the problem still exist. Anyone have any ideas to what might be wrong? Please help!!!!!
  • sweetpea_22sweetpea_22 Member Posts: 4
    I'm looking at a '98 Avenger. It's loaded, red, has 97,000 miles, and it's soooo pretty! The thing I'm worried about is this will be my first car purchase, and I don't know much about Avengers. Some of you seem to know A LOT about these cars, so any advice on whether I should get it or not would be greatly appreciated! Also, they're asking $5,995 for it, which I think is a bit high considering the mileage. Am I wrong on that, and if so, about what price should I try to talk the dealer down to, if I buy the car that is. Thanks for the help! :)
  • barboverbarbover Member Posts: 1
    I'm trying to get my daughter's '98 Avenger ready for her to take to college. It has 90,000 miles on it and the "service engine soon" light just lit up. We did not receive a manual with the car, so I wondered if someone can tell me what needs to be done at 90,000 miles. Also, the car has gotten very loud recently (we have only put 2000 miles on it since we bought it), so I'm hoping that it is a muffler or exhaust problem - am taking it to the muffler shop this afternoon. Any help with the service question would be appreciated.
  • avngrownravngrownr Member Posts: 1
    This happened to my '96 avenger. It began by not wanting to start, it would just turn over without ever catching when I tried to crank it. It was the distributor. I got one from autozone and took it to the dealer ship. The dealership wanted to charge me $750 for a cheap distributor or $1100 for the other one. In total with tow it came to a little over $300. I hope this helps.
    Well, I test drove this car today, and it drove nicely. My granddad inspected it(he is a mechanic), and he found nothing wrong with it. The tires were bad however, so it will definitely need new tires, the headlights had that "fogged up" look, which I hope can somehow be cleaned. Other than that, the car seemed great. But I do have a question for those who have Avengers with sunroofs. When I shut the doors on the car, the sunroof(which was closed all the way) would sort of "pop up" a little. I doubt that it normal, but I was wondering if anyone else's does that. And with it needed new tires, I definitely will not pay $5995 for it. I'm hoping they will accept $4500. I don't want to pay more than that for that car, considering also that it has 97,000. Anyone's opinions on this car would be helpful. Thanks.
    lol Sorry, I noticed some mistakes on my post.
    * "I doubt that it normal"- I doubt that is normal.
    * "And with it needed new tires"- And with it needing new tires
    * And I meant 97,000 miles toward the end, but I only put 97,000
    lol Sorry, I noticed some mistakes on my post.

No worries, sweetpea_22. By the way, if you notice any typos in future posts, you have 30 minutes to edit and get it perfect before reposting. Just click the "Edit" link below the title of your post (the link disappears once your post is older than 30 minutes). Hope this helps.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• ganryu34ganryu34 Member Posts: 17
    Well, I have own a 98 ES (fully loaded)...I'm the only owner this car has ever had. The headlights will fog up no matter what you do. Oh, and replacing them is an expensive task in futility....$350 a pop depending on which dealership you ask. Nevertheless, keeping the fogged up headlights has minimal effect on night time driving,i.e., your vision is still well lit during the evening and if your state has a saftey inspection which (Texas) I have down here, it will pass. And by the way, other than a lone/minor sensor replacement, at 130,000 miles my Avenger still rides like a new car and has no smoke and doesn't burn any oil, nor leave any drips on my garage floor (Very dependable). However, with any car, the upkeep by the owner plays a major role. ;)
    Your car sounds great! I really like the Avengers, and I love the one I drove. I'm trying to work out a price now. I spoke with the dealer earlier, but she said the lowest she would take is $5400, and this is with me replacing the tires, so it will pretty much cost me $6000. And it's not worth that much, especially with the mileage. So I'm going to keep bugging them and hopefully and I can talk them down more. lol
  • ebooeboo Member Posts: 1
    Have your O2 sensors checked, there are two of them on the Avenger. If one of them is bad they can mess up the oxygen/gas ratio and cause stalling issues.
  • kimcolekimcole Member Posts: 1
    Hello all! I am the owner of a '97 Dodge Avenger Coupe V6 2.5L.

I have had the car for about 2 months. Recently, while driving in the rain, my windshield became foggy. I adjusted the knob to defrost and the A/C light came on. Cold air was coming out of the vents AS WELL as hot air out of the defrost area right under the windshield. Has anybody else experienced a similar problem? The A/C light only comes on when I direct the knob to DEFROST. I'm not sure if this will continue in the winter, but I don't want the A/C kicking on in the winter! I did not receive an owner's manual when I purchased. Please, let me know if you have any idea if this is normal or if I'm just crazy! :confuse:
  • mark0smark0s Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone ever experienced a very loud grinding sound coming from the passenger front side of their car? It doesnt happen all the time but i notice it usually starts when ive been driving for awhile (possibly when it starts to get extremely hot?) It sounds like a big coil under there thats misaligned or something. Oh and when the noise does start up i am warned that its coming because i hear a clicking sound when i step on the brakes similiar or related to cv boot problems. Although i dont think its brake related the loud grinding sound i know is related to turning the steering wheel to the left and right. The sound happens when the car is in drive and when in neutral at a stop. Also, other related problems im having, my power steering fluid keeps running low and keeps leaking from the cap. I notice there is a pin hole in the top of the cap. Is this pin hole suppose to be there and what would happen if i plug it up? Any help would be appreciated. thanks.
  • lawngojo863lawngojo863 Member Posts: 1
    RECENTLY PURCHASED THE ES (2.5-AUTO TRANS)FOR MY DAUGHTER DUE TO HER 96 SATURN L1 BEING REARED & TOTALED (I HAD EXPECTED 3 ADDL YEARS FROM THE CAR)..... THE PROBLEM... THE AVENGER WAS A SALVAGE/REBUILT, HIT IN FRONT & REPAIRED. 3+- WEEKS AFTER PURCHASE THERE IS A STRANGE DRAGGING SOUND, INTERMITTENTLY, UPON DEACCELERATION. IT IS SOMETHING SIMILAR TO THE SOUND OF THE ELECT.TRANS.SOLENOID ( OR A PARKING PAWL TRYING TO ENGAGE). PLEASE NOTE THE RIGHT OUTBOARD CV JOINT (RIGHT HALFSHAFT) DOES REQUIRE REPLACEMENT(CLICK/CLACKING SOUND @ HARD LEFT TURN) & THE VEHICLE OTHER WISE SHIFTS/DRIVES PROPERLY. ANY INPUT AS TO WHAT GIVES? PLEASE RESPOND A.S.A.P. AS MY DAUGHTER HAS TWO PART TIME JOBS AND ONLY DRIVES THE AUTO TRANS., v, & TRANSPORTATION LOGISTICS ARE A PAIN ***. YOUR HELP IS APPRIECIATED!
  • dodgelover1dodgelover1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 95 dodge avenger and it has 80,000 miles on it. i only bought it 5 months ago used. when i first got it i turned the engine on and it immdiately turned off-the engine stalled, then it :cry: put in park and turned it on again and the engine immediately started. so 2 out o f 10 times i drive this car the engine cuts off when im stopped. just last week it got worse and when i was driving it the engine cut off when i was still driving(or stalled) so i put it in park and tried to restart it and it started spurting and took 3 tries for the engine to come back on , then it died again less than a block away from where it originally stalled when i was driving. repeated the first step i did the last time the engine cut off and lets just say the engine cut off at least 5 more times before i can get it home. and it took at least three tries to get the engine back on , and before it came on it kept spurting. the engine even cut off when i was trying to turn the car into my apartment building. Before it turns off the "check oil" light comes on, then it automatically cuts off.
    Does anyone know what the problem is? Would it need a tune up or is somethign else wrong and how much would it cost to be fixed?
    You might also want to ask about them in our Maintenance & Repair Forums.

• runnernflrunnernfl Member Posts: 1
    I have a 96 and am dealing with the same thing, We where told it was the computer... We have driven ours for about 6 months, ut today it gave up.
    Feel free to email me and I will let you know what happens with the new computer
  • mark0smark0s Member Posts: 2
    what would happen if you plug a pin hole in the power steering fluid cap which obviously would inhibit proper relief of pressure? Would something blow and what would that be? Does anyone out there know or try a guess? Just throwing up ideas...
  • sandbachsandbach Member Posts: 3
    Lately, my car has been stalling at random intervals. About two months ago, I was at a red light and it was running fine, I hit the accelerator, and it died. I turned it on again just fine, but once again when I touched the gas it died again. It did it for about ten minutes and finally drove just fine. It didn't happen again, until today. Exact same thing. I tried to warm up the engine for a bit seeing if that'd help, but it didn't. It was idling kind of low before it did it today, not sure if that's valid to the stalling or not.

My Avenger has recently had it's spark plug wires changed, alternator was changed, distributor cap was changed, new starter, and the fuel injectors are running fine - it's making the clicking noise they're supposed to and all. :confuse:

Transmission fluid I was told could be a problem, and I have a small leak but it was full at the time.

Any ideas?
  • kc4dnjbkc4dnjb Member Posts: 2
    This car cuts off without any warning, when ever it feels like it.
    Boom without warning... your sitting on the side of the road .
    Sometimes it will crank back up or it might be 30 minutes or more
    to get it to crank back up. Its been in the shop 3 different times. They did something to the distributor costing $ 500 and it cut off on the way back home.
    I have been dealing with this problem of about 5 months now and am at the end of my rope... :cry: thinking about getting rid of it. Has anyone else had and solved problem like this? Now they say it might be the security system?
  • deepdoodoodeepdoodoo Member Posts: 3
    I am going through the exact same thing with my 97 avenger.
    I have spent way too much frigin money in parts alone. Thank God I know alot of back yard mechanics who do the work for me.
    My car would die every day at the same spot. 10 mins later she would start up and no problem until the next day. Okay lets give her a full tune up. ($700.00)
    Start her up and ? Same crap. Okay fuel pump and sending unit.($300.00)
    Okay start her up. Same stupid crap. Okay. Now I say THATS IT!! SHE'S GOING TO THE DEALER. Well they want to rip me a new one. They say it's the distributor ($1300.00) Yeah. I'll be right back is what I told them. So I went and bought a distributor from NAPA ($636.00) Slapped that puppy in and ???????
    SAME FRIGIN CRAP!! Now the car runs even worse then before.
    I have it narrowed down to a few more things that personally the damn car aint worth anymore. It's either the crankshaft sensor (which would send a code) as would the camshaft sensor. See the car has no spark when she dies and wont start. It's not fuel. The only other thing is wiring or computers. So tomorrow I have to go to the dealer and ask them for the computer diagram that shows me how much voltage is supposed to be running through each wire. Then I'll get out my trusty volt meter and see what I find. Hopefully I find something cuz this is absolutely disgusting. The dodge avenger is a nice looking car, but if i gotta deal with this kinda crap I'll go buy my [non-permissible content removed] a bus pass.
  • malachi1malachi1 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with my '95 Avenger. I took it to the Dodge dealership 4 times and spent about 300 bucks each time and the fourth time they got it right. It ended up being my computer and it ran me $525. Hope you find the problem.
  • kc4dnjbkc4dnjb Member Posts: 2
    :shades: Avenger rides again... Without being a spazz!!! They replaced the crank
    sensor (The part cost $95.00 wholesale ) Its been running without cutting off ever since.
    The check engine light goes on and off for some reason though.
    I felt like setting that car on fire all those times it cut off... on railroad tracks and at
    stop lights, just at any random time without warning.
    Hope you get your car purring like a kitten again and don't have to get that bus pass!!!!
  • mhall002mhall002 Member Posts: 3
    Stay as far away from Dodge Avenger's as you can! They're nice looking cars but they have a numerous amount of gliches. The biggest problem is, when things go wrong you might end up taking it to a dealership 5,6, or 7 times before they finally get the problem fixed. But they'll charge you everytime as if they did something that worked. Dodges dont break down. It's easy to fix a car if it'll break down and stay down b/c when you know you've found the problem if you can get the car back up and running. The Avenger's do things such as you go outside and try to crank it up and get nothing, then maybe an hour later you try again and it run perfect. Makes it next to impossible to fix. Im currently driving a '95 Dodge Avenger that i've put $$$ into. Truthfully, I'd feel guilty if I sold mine for more than $500 b/c the car just has a bad history. Don't do it!!
  • mhall002mhall002 Member Posts: 3
    I have a '95 Dodge Avenger that has intermittent no-starts. When it does not start, 90% of the time I'm able to get it to turn over by jumping the starter. I've been through 3 starters already and a battery. When it doesn't start, there's nothing at all. Meaning I turn the key and get absolutely nothing. I saw on a website that it could possibly be due to a damaged wire near the transaxle shift lever. Any other suggestions?
  • jacky2jacky2 Member Posts: 1
    I bought 98 Avenger w/ 75 K last month,
    and I've faced the problem of stalling for 2-3 weeks.

Finally, I went to mechanics to x-ray transmission.
    If transmision is o.k, ask them to delete old data records.
    The problem was fixed for my car.

Jacky
  • babumbabum Member Posts: 1
    My horn on my Avenger sounds like someone is dying a slow death. Could anyone tell me where to locate it under the hood or if there is any known problems with the horn. Thanks!
  • deepdoodoodeepdoodoo Member Posts: 3
    Well I took my clunkin avenger back to the dealer and now they changed the crank sensor. Apparently these cars have 2 types of codes for the computer.
    Hard codes send an engine light and soft codes make you blow are your money to find out the problem. So the crank sensor sends a soft code. The car hasn't stalled out yet and its been 1 day. So I'm happy there but the terd box has a horrible miss and when I stop or go real slow the idle drops. The dealership says there is nothing wrong with the car, it could be running like crap because it is getting old. OLD? OLD? I almost slapped the jerk. The car only has 118000.
    Well I'm gonna through some good gas in her some lucas fuel injector cleaner, and I'm gonna take for a good rip on the highway. Hopefully that will help and if not it'll blow it up. Time for drastic measures.
  • bweebsbweebs Member Posts: 1
    does anyone know if there is a large cam or a small cam on this distribtors :confuse:
  • ramhemiramhemi Member Posts: 1
    Just wondering if you could help me understand what I'm faced with. I have a 96 ES Avenger 2.5, auto. Problem, it does not go into 1st gear. Starts out in second, under complete acceleration from start it goes into a neutral sense for a quick moment, then into second hard. I generally will squeak tires because the engine reved up before engaging second gear. Other than tha it runs down the road great. No slippage in any gear. Shifts fine up and down to other gears.
    Bob
  • skavengerskavenger Member Posts: 1
    i signed up for this discussion board looking to see if there were any good suggestions on modifications for my 97 avenger that i just bought but i just read all the posts and it was nothing but bad stories......but if there is anyone with any good news that could help me trick out my car let me know :lemon:
    skavenger, have you looked into the Speedshop Forum? You might find some happier news there:

Speed Shop: Tuning and Modifications

• emoranemoran Member Posts: 1
    my 97 dodge avenger "check engine light" has been goping on for over a year. The dealer says it's a sensor and charged me over a bundle to "fix" - a week later it came back on - took it back to dealer and he said there's nothing wrong with the car, just a computer glitch with the sensor. Took it to a mechanic and he said it ws the sensor and wanted to charge me over 100 dollars to reset the computer sensor. Car has not let me down but I am concerned it may when I least expect it. That was all over a year ago. Light is still on. Any clues ?????
    Hi, emoran,

You might want to ask the folks in the Check Engine Light discussion -- they might have some ideas for you.

• t_broc16t_broc16 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I'm looking to buy a '97 Avenger that's in real good shape. My only gripe is that it has the stock 4-speed automatic transmission. If I were to go ahead and buy the car, is there any way to swap transmissions with a 5-speed manual, and if so, would it be fairly costly/time consuming. What sort of place would I take the car to for that work, just any tranny-shop?
  • jezzijezzi Member Posts: 1
    I've always really liked avengers, and after my stratus died I was going to buy one. So I did my homework & they apear to be pieces of junk. Please tell me they aren't! Does anyone have anything good to say about them? Because the only "good" things I've heard came from the people trying to get rid of them.
    i drive a 1995 dodge avenger ES im glad to say i got one of the good ones.i have been the only owner of this car and i got it up to 226,000 miles on it , and its never had any mechanical problems , except for the things you need to replace when a car starts getting old ( water pump, alternator, spark plugs/wires, seals, belts ext ). its been the best car i have ever had, and still do date i put about 100 miles every 2 days. but luck doesnt last forever, yestarday my ANTI-LOCK light came on, the car still drives the same, but when i turn the car off, i hear a vibrating noise coming from under the hood by drivers side wheel , its fairly loud, and i think its the hydraulic module, i have to disconnect the negative battery cable to get it to shut off, but it comes right back on when its re-connected. does anyone have any advice on what i might be able to do ? its thanksgiving and no auto shop is open .
    i have a 1995 ES with 226,000 miles on it, its been the best car i have ever owned.
  • jay472jay472 Member Posts: 1
    hey your problem is the wheel bearing its a sealed unit the abs sensor is inside of the bearing so your bearing must have gone out and took the sensor out with it. its a common problem on avengers normally its the rear ones but ya just have the bearing replaced and that should solve your poblems
  • kagerkager Member Posts: 1
    I don't care what anyone says about the Avenger... mine is now 6 years old now and has 125,000 miles on it. I have yet to put any money into it (I've been the original owner) and have put a lot of miles on it for a 6 year old car... this has been the best vehicle I've ever owned - and I hope to have it another 2-3 years! It's just a good dependable car! No complaints here!
  • zolo69zolo69 Member Posts: 1
    Is your O2 sensor bad, or camshaft position sensor bad, It could be numerous things though you need to know exactly why the light is on.
  • khaloodkhalood Member Posts: 1
    i have a 99 avenger ES i jus got it wit 72 000kms on it, i was having a problem with the stario but aperantly it was a fuze problem how ever i hurd some talk about maybe i should take a look @ my condenser that might b short circuting the wiring. Another thing is that it is leaking coolant however the leakin is slow, it leaks a full load in about 2 weeks... i hurd it could b a gasket problem but im not sure, any idea as it wat this problem could be???
  • caleb3caleb3 Member Posts: 1
    i just got a 95 avenger and i need to know what type of engine it needs?
    need answer fast thanks
  • billry29billry29 Member Posts: 1
    I have this very problem and a service can be performed to restore them back to crystal clear. I found it by going to yahoo search and entering headlight restoration. Here's what I got http://www.mdwholesale.com/. You will find everything that you need here.

Let me know how it works!

Billy
  • avenger_ssavenger_ss Member Posts: 1
    caleb3 it depends on if you have a es if so the you have a 24valve v6 which is call a 6g73<--thats the motor type its a 2.5 liter motor. also along with that your transmission type is A604 / 41TE this is a stock 4 speed auto for and es. if you have a 4 cylinder the it is called a 4g63 which if you wanted to you can go and get a 4g63 turbo motor out o a mitsubishi eclipse or out of and eagle talon or ranging in years from 92-99 and any one of those motors will bolt right up in there but you will need to change your motor mounts out