Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sedona problems

Comments

• bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    Haven't seen that on our 2002 EX or on my parents' 2003 EX. The trip computer should know how much gas is left in the tank and, based on fuel efficiency during that tank, about how many miles to empty remain. The driver does not need to do anything to 'reset' the DTE meter. Sounds like your trip computer has a minor problem.
  • busygalbusygal Member Posts: 3
    To rcwiii, the same thing happened to me in my 2004 EX. I thought the reason was I didn't shut off my engine before I opened the gascap. The DTE reset itself after 2 or 3 fill-ups.
  • ndlndl Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 Sedona has been going "wonky" of late. This is my first new purchase vehicle, but it was already serviced and repaired within the first month. Now 6 months later:

1. While driving the area around my feet gets extremely hot, I assume that this is from the engine, but is that normal.
    2. Several times a day, in different parts of the city, the radio volume started going up and down, usually 5 or 6 levels (indicated on the display).
    3. Sometimes when I drive, usually when I am on the highway, the car vibrates.

Has anyone else had similar problems?
  • craigmricraigmri Member Posts: 243
    To ndl,

This is our second Sedona and either our '02 or '04 heat our feet any. Never noticed that at all.

The radio is not a problem for us either.

We do find the '04 seems to vinrate some at speed. Our '02 was smooth as silk so I'm gonna try and resolve this through having the dealer balance the tires again.

The '04 doesnt seem to have the get up and go the '02 had. I suspect they reprogrammed the computer to gain an extra 2 MPG on the window sticker.

Craig
    '04 Sedona EX
  • elthunterelthunter Member Posts: 7
    It's been almost a year since buying our Sedona and posting to this board. Our Kia has just over 15,000 miles on it. So far, we have seen a few very minor problems that the dealer has fixed under warrenty without complaint. (1) We have heard the moaning/mooing from the AC since we picked up the vehicle from the dealer, but I had already read about it on here so wasn't worried about it. It's not been irritating enough to give up the van for a day to get looked at. (2) after about six weeks, the wiper switch began clicking when you turned the steering wheel and was replaced. (3) Door jam on drivers side sliding door split, was replaced.

Other problems I have experience but have not had checked yet include (a) a vibration/creaking/rattle sound that the van makes almost every time it's started. Seems to eminate from the right side in front of firewall. At first I thought it was the suspension making noise, but when I turned the engine on/off several times, it occurred every time right after the engine fires up. (b) Drivers side window makes a mild clunking sound some times at the top of the travel when rolling up the window. Sounds like the window regulator may be loose.

Having said this, we are love our van and would make the same decision again. I am even considering a Kia Sorento when my 1992 Nissan Pathfinder with 175,000 miles on t needs replacing.
  • monty2222monty2222 Member Posts: 48
    Well I've got 40 miles on my Sedona and the check engine light just came on, and stays on. I have to make an appointment for next week.... sigh.
  • gad241gad241 Member Posts: 5
    Had the same thing happen to our '02 Sedona. Service agent ran a pen down the crack and said a stone had hit the windshield. Wife said she didn't recall taking any hits from rock.
  • gad241gad241 Member Posts: 5
    We have a '02 Sedona with 63K miles. Just recently the Brake and Battery warning lights came on. The parking brake seems to be releasing correctly because the brake warning light will dim. Check the voltage on the battery and was seeing 11+ volts. This was telling me that the alternator was not charging battery. Next morning, started engine and lights didn't show up and battery was getting 14+ volts. Shut engine off and later re-started and lights were back. Van going to dealer tomorrow. Will report back on solution.
    After the Kia dealer resurfaced the rotors...the van still has a subtle vibration when braking from higher speeds. Has any Sedona owners experienced this?

Craig
    '04 Sedona EX
    Found a disturbing trait about my new Sedona. The paint is REALLY weak!!

Here's what happened.....I'm in my garage working on a ceiling recepticle directly above the Sedona. While fiddling with the plug for the Garage door opener and house alarm system power pack, the plastic recepticle cover fell two feet and landed on the Sedona. chipped down to the primer about 1/3 inch long. I was like.....Holy crap thats weak paint!!!! Touched up then used a clay bar to smooth out and its hardly noticable now.

From this experience I expect significant chips in the frontal area of car from road debris and rocks.

Craig
    '04 Sedona EX
  • 68orion6868orion68 Member Posts: 10
    I have an '02 EX with about 49000 mi. I periodically experience slight vibration/shudder when braking - but only when the brake rotors are dirty. I've noticed that I don't have the problem after washing the car and hosing inside and outside the wheels. I've never had this experience with any other car I've owned. It hasn't bothered me enough to waste a day at the dealer's to check it out. By the way, my Kumho's look like they've got at least another 10K miles left on them.
  • melpinamelpina Member Posts: 3
    Our Sedona has had major air conditioning problems as well. Since day one it has made awful noises. Kept taking it in and dealership kept saying it is fine. Finally they say OK, a part is on recall we will replace. Part replaced. Still makes noise. Take in and they say nothing is wrong. AC goes out. Take in and they replace AC and compressor. This was 1 month ago. Our AC just went out again last week. I take it in and they tell me that I can't bring it in for 2 weeks!! But the AC does work on and off. So hopefully they can get it right the next time. The dealership is so hard to deal with and very rude.
    Our brakes do that too. Actually there are times that the van does not stop and skids a little. I have had it looked at and the brakes are fine. So I am not sure what the problem is.
    ~A/C. I have had major problems with my AC. It was just replaced a month ago and is now out again.

~Tires. Within 2 months of owning the car we have had to replace all 4 tires.

~Leather. We had had to replace several panels of leather as it starts to peel off.

~Noises. It just make snoise everywhere. It vibrates when braking also.

~Radio. All the buttons are peeling off.

~Service. The dealership and the service dept is just awful and rude. When the AC was beong replaced they had the car for almost 2 weeks! No rental no apologies.

I wish I would have never bought a Kia. You definately get what you pay for! Now it is worth way less than what we owe, we are kinda stuck with it! I can not believe how many times I have had to had it in the service. It is a new car!
  • mjl2mjl2 Member Posts: 3
    i have the leather seats and i noticed the small pin missing and loose on another is this normal? The pin holds the head rest adjustment hardware. They fixed one and ordered another. The headrests make noise while driving over bumps and it drives me nuts. Other than that my 2004 sedona is perfect. I may just remove the last to headrests cause they block view out the back window anyways.
    That's what we did. We do not take 5+ people in the van too often, so overall the better visibility is worth the inconvenience of having to put the headrests back in when they are needed.
  • minivanfrankminivanfrank Member Posts: 83
    The problem with my A/C ended up being a leaking schrader valve on the low side of the system. After trying to tighten the fitting to no avail, the dealer replaced my low side hose which has the valve attached to it. My A/C is working quite well now...just in time for...gulp...WINTER !!! :-(
    I still love this van!!!
    i have no idea why i think this but i am worried about the paint. How is your paint job holding out? Does is still look new after a few years?
    I'm not extremely picky when it comes to paint, but the paint on our 2002 EX seems to be holding up quite well - except for the places it has been scratched off due to rubbing against another vehicle, a parking curb, etc. But I don't blame that on Kia!

When our Sedona is washed, it looks good. We almost never wax our vehicles, and still the paint looks pretty good. I'm satisfied.
    The paint on my '02 still looks great...so far - so good!
  • yoydidibykiayoydidibykia Member Posts: 2
    Well...Looks like I'm not the only one afterall! Although I don't see any postings regarding the Venting System. Of course thats just one of my Piece of junks problems! The most serious by far,but still just one of the many. From the beginning..
    1. Driver side door wouldn't unlock.
    2. Had to take back in to get alignment straight
    3. Windows make horrible noise when going up (dealer said they cleaned dirt out of tracks) yeah ok..but they still make the noise.
    4. Rear seat belts stick and kids can't release them..oh yeah! that's safe!
    5. Air conditioner compressor goes out (on a 9 month old vehicle!)
    6. Almost pass out while driving..eyes burning getting a loopy feeling! Oh could it be because the EXHAUST SYSTEM IS VENTING INTO THE CAB!!
    7. Spring coming up through one of the rear seats. Dealer said they repaired it "Twice" Actually only once...my mistake by not checking when it was in for multiple problems. I didn't realize it wasn't repaired until I went in the next week for more repairs!
    8.Cup Holders broken
    9. EXHAUST AGAIN!!
    10. EXHAUST AGAIN!!
    11. EXHAUST AGAIN!! only this time they "couldn't" replicate it since it stopped by the time I got to dealership (Funny, in this state, Nevada, the lemon law applies to the #4)..this was the fourth time I brought it in for this within about 6 weeks!
    Which brings me to 12 & 13:
    My brake light and irritating "bell" go off now whenever I make a right turn! & The rubber track in the windows that supposedly had dirt in the tracks are now bent in and serve no purpose, but to do more damage!
    I live in Las Vegas Nevada. I bought this piece of garbage at Peoples Kia and have spoken to quite a few Kia drivers who have had the same problems I have including the exhaust system. I don't know what I can do but you can be sure I will tell anyone I can never to buy a Kia and never to shop at Peoples Kia or trust their service department! If anyone else has had this exhaust system problem please let me know as this is potentially a life threatening problem! Thank you and sorry this was so long!
    Yoy,

What year s your Sedona and how many miles? I'd probably hire a lawyer and attempt a lemon law suit if I experienced what you have or I'd of probably just traded it in on something else.

Its pretty obvious Kia isnt at the quality level of the likes of Toyota, Honda or Mazda. The Majority of the issues we've had with ours has been with our incompetant dealer more so than Kia but even still there are some minor things(mostly fit and finish) that indicate where Kia cut corners to keep the price low. I knew this going into the purchase so I'm not bothered by them.

In your case I feel for you. I'm a car guy and get extremely angry when my new car experience gets ruined by either a poor product of a lowsy dealer.

Have you tried a different dealership for repairs?

Craig
    '04 Sedona EX
  • theolus1theolus1 Member Posts: 8
    As to your problem #2... The sedona will lock the passenger doors automatically if the doors are unlocked with the remote and none of the passenger doors are opened in 30 seconds. I guess it's a safety feature in case the remote accidentally unlocks the doors. I just wish they would include the hatch. I know it can be rather annoying. Especially if you happen to leave your keys inside the vehicle. I'm surprised your dealer could not replicate it. It's in the owners manual. I would be suspect of any dealer who was not familiar with the vehicle they are selling.
    thats to bad, sounds like a lemon. To be fair you can go to any of these forums and find a lemon no matter what brand you have. So far so good for me.
  • yoydidibykiayoydidibykia Member Posts: 2
    My car is a 2003. I knew I was buying a "budget" vehicle, however I still expected it to be a decent vehicle even though it wasn't luxury! I will be calling an attorney soon. I have to say Kia Motors customer service people were extremly rude & not helpful at all! If anybody knows anything else I need to know I would greatly appreciate the help!
    Thanks! Have a good day!
  • terrehillterrehill Member Posts: 8
    On my 2002 Sedona LX my right turn signals {both front & back} stop working for a long time then they will work for a long time. I have checked the wireing and bulbs but not the flashers cause I can't find them.The right side will not work with the 4 way flasher.Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks Charles
    I wish I had a schematic for the Sedona to see how its wired. I suspect you have a bad connection some were. I doubt its a flasher. If anyone has a wiring diagram they can share please E-mail me at Craigmri@earthlink.net

Craig
    '04 Sedona
  • alamid69alamid69 Member Posts: 59
    Can't you just take it to a Kia service and let them fix it for you?
    Yes I can but why pay them $65.00 an hour shop charge when with a little help I might be able to fix it myself.
    I think Alamid was assuming you still are under the bumper to bumper warranty. It would be a covered repair.

Craig
    '04 Sedona EX
  • navyairnavyair Member Posts: 202
    http://www.kiatechinfo.com/default.aspx

All your desired info is on line. Go to the www.kia.com website and it is there on the owner tab. You have to register to use it, but the wiring diagram and service manuals are posted there.
    Charles,

Craig is right, i was indeed under the impression that you're still under warranty.
    Terre,

After looking at a schematic and after re-reading your problem description I suspect you have a bad ground for the right turn signal circuit. reason being is you said that it acts up not only when simply turning right, it also acts up with the four way flashers. The right and left flasher is a different unit than the 4 way flasher so they both cant possibly be bad at the same time then start working again at the same time. Therefor it must be a flaky ground.

In any event this should be a covered repair even on your 2002 unless your over in mileage.

Special thanks to Navyair for pointing out the awesome resource Kia has available to Kia owners.

Craig
    '04 Sedona EX
    Thanks to all who replyed
    Our 2002 EX would not start at home yesterday. It was last driven about 24 hours prior. Engine sputtered, but would not quite start up. Had it towed to the dealer.

This is the first time my wife and I have ever needed a vehicle be towed to the dealer. It got me wondering if I needed to ride in the tow truck to the dealer, to ensure safe dropoff of the vehicle at the dealer. Dealer was not open on Sat. night. I called Kia roadside assistance back, and they said it is up to me. They assume no liability for anything that might happen. The tow truck guy said they do this all the time (drop vehicles off at dealer without the owner coming along), so I decided to do that.

Hopefully, the van will be there when I call the dealer Monday morning!

Any thoughts on this? How have other folks handled situations like this in the past?
    They found no problems - van started right up Monday morning when they tried it. They drove it around and checked (the PCM?) for codes but found none.

Also had our rear badges installed (previously had rear trunklid repainted due to rusting around chrome license plate surround) and driver's side sun visor swing arm replaced - it had become very difficult to adjust and swing around due to binding or something.

Question - isn't there a Kia logo in the middle of the rear trunklid, above the license plate area and below the rear window? The dealer put the 'Sedona' and the 'EX' badges back on, but we do not have a Kia logo back there.
    Overall, pleasant service experience. Paid $128 for a trans flush and received a free brake inspection / clean / adjustment (whatever that is!)...

While our Sedona was the dealer, I had them do a transmission service. The service manager recommended a 'flush' instead of a standard drain & fill because he said the drain/fill removes only about 1/3 of the fluid from the Sedona's trans.

The trans service wasn't cheap - $142 including shop supplies. The invoice makes it sound like this was a BG system type of thing - 'flush transmission with BG flusher.' I was charged $60 labor plus $19.95 parts for 'trans flush' (not sure what 'part' that would be - perhaps the filter?) plus $59.40 for 12 qts auto trans fluid @ $4.95/qt.

I used a dealer website coupon to get $15 off, so I paid $128 before tax.

This was $30-50 more than I would have paid at a Jiffy Lube, but I am more comfortable having this type of service done at the dealer and I also like to give them a little non-warranty business from time to time.

I'm not totally thrilled with my dealer, but it seems they do NOT try to sell me things I don't need and I appreciate that. I asked for a quote on fuel filter change. Estimate $106 - way too high, so I will go elsewhere when it is needed. The svc mgr said it was not required until 60k miles (I didn't check the owner's manual yet) and he said it's not necessary on our van which is at 44k.

Also, I asked them to check the brakes because I halfway expected the pads to need replacement. Brakes have been working fine but at 44k miles with many of those city driving, I keep thinking the brakes must be running out of life. Dealer told me they are fine and do not need any work right now. The invoice indicates 'perform brake inspection. advise. clean and adjusted brakes.' I'm not sure why they didn't charge me for this. Perhaps they were able to bill it to Kia as a warranty item somehow.
    Blue Devils

They were unable to determine why your Sedona wouldnt start? This makes me concerned. I say if it happens again demand they change out the computer at a minimum.

As for the KIA badge, our'04 has one exactly where you described......I cannot recal if our '02 had one there however but I thought it did.

Craig
    '04 Sedona EX
    Yes..you are correct about the KIA logo. It is between the rear wiper assembly and the hatch key hole.
    Geez, that's what I thought. How can a dealer be so sloppy with things like this. The sad thing is, overall I would give this dealer a 'better than average' rating for service compared with other dealers. And yet I still think the job they do is not nearly as good as it should be.

Oh well, at least I have not had any problems that required me to fight with them. I gave up on the poor keyless entry response - just decided to live with it because they wouldn't acknowledge the problem.
    what exactly was the problem with your remote control?
    The range is inconsistent but generally horrible. Sometimes I can go around all sides of the vehicle, pressing the remote in all directions at the van, and it will not unlock the doors. Other times, it works okay from 10-30 feet. Compared with other keyless remotes I've used on other vehicles, the range and reliability of our Sedona remote is by far the worst I have ever seen.

There seems to be a fix for this that is known to Canadian Kia dealers (search prior posts for more discussion), but my local (Michigan) dealers have been clueless.
    Mine has a very limited range. I've owned it for over 3 yrs and i don't consider it as a problem anymore. :)

But the one on my Sorento is a lot better. Maybe they changed supplier.
  • jenuanjenuan Member Posts: 1
    I am in the process of researching Kia's. I was thinking of purchasing a 2005 Kia. Not sure what type (EX or LX). Has anyone had any problems with the 2005? Thanks
  • fran1fran1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 Kia Sedona. Recently, the airbag signal light on the dashboard has been staying on, even after the car is moving. The manual says that when this happens, you should go to an authorized Kia dealer for service.
    I live on an island 12 miles from the mainland, and it is not easy to take a car off-island for service. Plus, my Kia is used as a taxi, and I don't wish to take it off the road if I don't have to
    I have a mechanic here on the island who says he has been seeing this problem, but does not know what to do about it. Can anyone give me some pointers on what to look at, or what to do, that I could pass along to him?
    Please help!
    Fran1
    Jenuan,

As for the 2005 Sedona, Its the same as the 2004 except slightly improved rear drum brakes. Otherwise identical.

I would consider the Sedona a faily reliable van. If it wasnt Hyundai/Kia would already be out of business due to the 10 year 100,000 mile warranty they've been offering for years. I've owned a few Hyundai's and this Kia is awesome in refinement and how much you get for so little money. The key word is VALUE.

I havent driven the Honda or Toyota Vans. I will assume they are better in most ways but I'm just not willing to pay 30 grand for a loaded up minivan.....20 grand got me everything in the Sedona and it drives so nice.

My recommendation to people is if you dont need the "In" brand logo on your car give the Sedona a shot...Your gonna love it!

Unless your on a tight budget go for the EX....why not plurge since its so damn afforable!?

Craig
    '04 Sedona EX
    Fran,

Just out of curiouslity....have you have any car stereo work or any other electrican service work done on the Sedona?

Craig
    '04 Sedona EX
  • fran1fran1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, Craig,
    No, I've had no electrical work done on it — well, come to think of it, this year I had an on-off switch installed for the CB radio. The radio was wired in last year; the switch, toward the end of this year. But it was there for a long while before the airbag signal started staying on. But would a CB radio switch rigged without even going inside the dash, affect the airbag sensor?
    Thank you for replying!
    Fran
  • mfbonomfbono Member Posts: 48
    Fran1.. I have a 2002 Sedona and I just recently had service for the airbag light (2nd time). It has to do with the latch for the front seat belts. I believe there are issues with them and the dealer will replace them at no cost. Call your dealer, they may have to order the part.
  • xvrmxvrm Member Posts: 10
    I've been following your posts across several Sedona forums. The advice and counsel you've given Sedona owners/intenders based on your research and experience has been most helpful to me (and probably others). It helped me decide to take the plunge. I own a mostly trouble-free '00 Sportage Base 4x4 4DR and was looking for a vehicle more comfortable for longer jaunts. Now I've got two KIAs; love 'em. So ... anyway ... thanks.

Robt.
    '04 Sedona LX
This discussion has been closed.