Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sedona problems

Comments

• sedonanysedonany Member Posts: 2
    We just purchased a 2005 KIA Sedona EX in late March. To date, I can't find one thing wrong with it. It has plenty of storage, great ride and the interor design was well thought out. $$'s vs quality, I'd rate it a 10.
    Sure the gas mileage could be better but afterall it is a mini van. I didn't expect to see any better than 25 MPG on the highway.
    The dealership (West Herr - Hamburg, NY) did a great job in helping with our decision and following up after the sale. :)
  • janettjanett Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Kia Sedona & I spend more time bringing car back to the dealer. My car will stall out & when I go to accelerate the car lurches, as if I am stepping on the gas & releasing quickly. It quite scary when you are merging onto a highway & this happens. In the last 5 months I can say my car has been in to the dealer atleast 5 times for them to check out this problem. They have my car for about 2 weeks at a time. They replace parts every time but the problem never has been fixed. It doesn't happen all the time it is sporadic. Also the RPM's will jump up & down sometimes causing the car to jump forward & then the RPM's will go so low that the car will stall out. They also tried to tell me they do not give out loaner cars anymore, for they are losing money on giving cars to people, but I fought with them regarding this stating my car has been in so many times for the same reason, I can not afford to go & pay for a loaner ever month for about 2 weeks at a clip. My car is back in for repairs, will be 2 weeks tomorrow & they have not even called me to let me know what's up. I called 4 days after I dropped it off to check on status of the car and the gentleman was out to lunch and was suppose to call me. No call yet. Should have stuck with my Dodge Caravan. :lemon:
  • deepseapassagedeepseapassage Member Posts: 1
    Great minivan. I had a Plymouth and a dodge in the past so I was a little afraid of buying another minivan, but I did. What a great move the Kia Sedona is great. Only problem I have is the air bag light is always on. Other than that well worth the money. Kids and Wife Love it to.
  • pponchotpponchot Member Posts: 1
    My check engine light just came on also last night. Nothing seemed changed but thats what happened. I looked it up in the owners manual and this light indicates there is something wrong with the emission controls. Since it only has 36000 miles, I figure it covered under warranty.

I don't have a repair book (haven't found one), but from past experiences on cars, a check engine light means that there is a problem with the emissions system. Some of these things include the O2 sensor, the idle control sensor, the speed sensor, the air pump (if the care has one), the catalytic converter and more. Most of these systems are tied into a computer that monitors them and kicks off the check engine light when there is something abnormal.

A fouling spark plug or something in the running circuit could cause the light to kick off as it would affect the emissions system.

On some cars, you can ground out one of the computer input wires and get it to flash a code telling you what part is defective. This requires a book and some knowledge.

If the car is not in warranty (which I assume it is not because of the mileage), a trip to Precision Tune where they can put in on a computer (used to be around $30) and tell you what the problem is, is a cheap way to diagnose it.

If you need any more information, contact me.

Hang in there,

Phillip
  • sedona2000ownesedona2000owne Member Posts: 1
    We've had our van for nearly three years now, and all in all, I'd have to say - it's OK. Nothing exciting, but then again, it's a minivan; what's to be expected? We've had lots of little problems, but nothing serious (yet). My main complaint has been that the dealer never seems to have any replacement parts on hand. The pattern's always the same - take the car in with a problem; problem diagnosed; van retuned; replacement parts ordered; van has to be taken in a second time to fix problem. I think it's a deliberate ploy by the company - offer a great warranty, and then dissuade people from using it by making it a real hassle to do so.

I've recently noticed a low hum in the front end. Of course, neither my wife nor the mechanic could hear it, but to me it's quite obvious. Anyone had a similar problem? Any thought what it might be?
  • mnkids2kiasmnkids2kias Member Posts: 10
    During the warmer months I get intermittent occurances of raw gasoline smell inside my vehicle. it is not from the road surface or other vehicles. by the time i get it to the dealer they cant duplicate the problem.

Has anyone heard of this.

Also I now have 79,000 miles on this vehicle. I refuse to pay the dealer to replace the timing belt.
    I intend on doing this myself. Does anyone know of where I would purchase an aftermarket belt and could I pay someone to mail me the installation procedure from a manual.?
    During the warmer months I get intermittent occurrences of raw gasoline smell inside my vehicle. it is not from the road surface or other vehicles. by the time i get it to the dealer they cant duplicate the problem.

Also I now have 79,000 miles on this vehicle. I refuse to pay the dealer to replace the timing belt.
    I intend on doing this myself. Does anyone know of where I would purchase an aftermarket belt and could I pay someone to mail me the installation procedure from a manual.?
  • minivanfrankminivanfrank Member Posts: 83
    Well, I would suggest that you purchase the manual from the dealer. You cannot go wrong with that information! Haynes manuals are also pretty good...I do not know if they produced one for the Sedona yet. The money that you save by diong it yourself will more than pay for the book, Just remember that you may be voiding your warranty by doing this yourself (not sure about that)! GOOD LUCK...let us know how you make out. :)
  • navyairnavyair Member Posts: 202
    Sounds like the gas cap might have a failing seal on it. The other thing it might be is a failure within the exhaust system, like the catalytic converter. The reason I say that is that if the smell occurs when it is cold, the engine and converter are warm when you get to the dealer.

The manual is available on line at the Kia site. Used to be free. Now you have to pay, but would be worth it for something like the timing belt.

Pls let us know how it goes.

Check out NAPA for the belt...they seem to have just about everything I've needed for the Sedona so far.
  • kiatechkiatech Member Posts: 38
    I was curious about your "gas smell" so could you give more details please. You mentioned warmer days but to be honest with you,your dealer will need more info to try and track down the issue. The more info you pass along,detailed info the greater chance of finding the issue.
    Your second comment about the timing belt,I would strongly recommend rethinking that. Not to be rude or disrespectful but I would be willing to be you have no clue what you are up against if you decide to change it yourself. Nor the tools quite frankly.
    Putting off changing the belt well if the belt breaks IT WILL bend every valve in both heads. It is a interference engine. So then you will not only have the expence of the t-belt but also the engine repair.

Good luck :)
    If your van is still under warranty and you can clearly see that the crack WAS NOT caused by a rock but flex or stress,this usually can be easily found by where the crack started,the edge of the windshield,warranty should cover it. If the dealership thinks otherwise request the DPSM,district parts and service manager,look at the windshield. He visits dealerships once a month on a certain date. Hope it helps :)
    Actaully you arent being blown off. It is a normal condition. The biggest issue is that you as the driver are practically sitting on top of the front struts so there for any sound is just that much easier to hear and notice. Easiest thing to do is call the dealer,ask the service manager when the DPSM,district parts and service manager will be back in town to visit,they are there once a month. You didnt hear it from me but if they replace the struts "bearing caps" it will correct a certain amount of the noise heard. Over time it will reappear though.

Good luck :)
    As a service writer you should know that transmission fluid's dye,yes I said dye will change colors and that is NOT proof of burned fluid. You should also know that front wheel drive cars to a certain degree generate alittle more heat in the trans the rearwheel drive. Now with that said we will move on. Kia does strongly recommend that the fluids be replaced every 30k,transmission that is.
    As far as the shifting issue is concerned you may be no knowingly compairing the shift patterns to the GM. Cant do that. There transmissions are self learning,meaning driver can actually dictate shifting patterns. But they are a very smoothly shifting tranny. And also a very good transmission also.
    Your window "popping" noise,that can be corrected with the replacement of the window regulator,simple repair.
    Front strut noise is actually normal. Yes there is noise and most likely replacement of the bearing plates will take care of the majority of it .But here is the biggest issue. Your practically sitting on top of the strut towers so therefore you WILL here alittle more suspension noise. Welcome to the mid engine world.
    Tire wear,check the alignment. Rotate on a normal basis,35 psi.
    Wasnt attempting to be rude,jsut helpful. :)
    Possiblity that the sift lock actuator motor may be at fault. It receives its signal from the brake pedal,when depressed. No sense in making the diagnosis hard.
    Just a suggestion :)
    Great info, Kiatech, thanks.

Your two quick e-mails have addressed the majority of Kia problems routinely talked about on this board. The two other major ones talked about are the a/c hum/noise that seems to be common with the Sedona, and the electrical fires that a few folks have talked about.

Appreciate your comments.
    Okay,its lunch time right now so lets go ahead and address the tw above listed things. AC hum/noise and also electrical fires.
    Lets put the ac issue in hand first. Sure of the some of the vans over time will experience a "ac hum". AC compressors will begin to make noise,regardless of manufacture and or model. If ya have 50,000 vehicles sold dont expect everyone to be perfect. It aint going to happen. Now with that said some 02-03 sedona's built before 12-02 may experience a "humming noise of vibration noise". There is a revised low side hose that is lcoated on the ac compressor itself to correct this issue,if it is related to your complaint. Remember just because you read this doesnt mean that is automatically the problem. Kia offers a awsume warranty for issues. Use it. Replacement of the compressor,if that is in deed the issue will of course fix it. No biggy.
    Some 02 and 03 models may experience a "roaring" noise from the back AC. Cut off 12-20-03 is dictated by production date. That noise is the result of the expansion valve in the reaer unit. A upgraded valve corrects this issue.
    Hope some of this helps :)
    Post some of the electrical issues so they can read. To be honest with you most of the issues experienced are owner induced and then they are just looking for someone to blame. Sometimes that is. Personally I have only experienced one such issue where it was actually a manufacture build defect that caused a electrical melt down.

Sincerely
    :)
    This is to all the kia owners out there. I will try my best to help in some form or another in your questions about the auto. I cant address them all but will try and look at the "repeat" complaint issues. Dont waste your time trying to address cup holders and situations like that.
    You have to kind look at it from my point of view when it comes to replying to comments.
    Enjoy and have a great day
    :)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Welcome kiatech! We're pleased to have you as a new member!

Are you interested in other Kia discussions as well? If so, you can find them with the Browse by Vehicle search feature on the left.

You've made some great posts that are sure to help many, many people.

Enjoy our Forums!

Pat
    Roving Host
    I figure if they need my two cents worth,they can come find me. :shades:
    I did see where some people were chatting about the kia loaner car program. Some thought the dealerships were at fault for stopping it and others thought it was a pick and choose who got the loaners. Welp I am here to tell you both of those are incorrect. If ya want to blame someone,blame kia. They stopped the program from what I have been able to find out .They are now doing a situation to where if your car is down,not driveable because of parts ordered,the dpsm is suppose to be called either by the service department manager or the sercive writer to have a rental car possibly gotten for you. Thats the situation. Anyone tells you differently,they are full of it. The loaner program was basically stopped for one major reason and I will use this example .If ya dont own it,you will not take care of it .Meaning the loaner car. You have NO CLUE how many cars were damaged,stolen,wrecked. Pick a situation and it was mostly seen. Kia "loaned" the cars to the dealers to let the new car owners have something to drive. Well it jsut wasnt cost effective so they went to a outside source for supply. A rental car company. If something happened to the car,you as the renter are responcible for it. Abuse problem solved. I also saw where people made the claim that they were able to get salesmans demo cars. Well I aint saying that hasnt happened before .Play the odds though and it will not happen most likely because the sales manager alot of times has to approve that because the demo is the salespersons responsibility. Would you give someone your car to drive,doubt it. Hope this helps out some.
    Sincerely
    :shades:
  • kandktkandkt Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2004 sedona. I only have 10k miles, and have seen two check engine lights, had the engine replaced at 7k miles, and the same front strut issue. I am working on making Kia buy the vehicle back through the lemon law. I go for arbritation on the 13th of this month. If you want, I will let you know how this goes. They had an independent third party person look at the vehicle last week, and he stated that the front end makes noise, he believes there are faulty front end components, and Kia is still making me go through with the arbitration. Good luck on getting them to help you out with it. They state it is a normal operating noise and no reason to fix it.
    Ya I know that light can be a pain in the [non-permissible content removed] but lets face it,you can thank uncle sam for it. Amazing isnt it.
    If I had to play the odds I would be willing to guess that the reason for the light coming on was most likely because of either a CCV or the Purge Solinoid Valve,ie small evap leak or gross evap leak. Just a guess.
    Engine issue,why was the engine replaced?
    Post have already been made in reference to the strut noise.

Enjoy :shades:
  • jdfjdf Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the suggestion kiatech. I hope that when I bring it in again soon , the problem occurs when its there. Weve now resorted to exposing the little access door near the shift lever and pushing a small screwdriver into the shifter. THere is a little button in there and when we push that, we can shift out of park and get on our way. Cant wait 30 minutes in the driveway all the time!!!
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    profanity isn't allowed...I'm letting it slide on the last post or so...but please refrain when possible. We state no profanity in our Membership Agreement and we do get emails in complaining about it.

Thanks! :surprise:
    I am sure that I speak for all of us Sedona owners when I say thank you for giving out this valuable information! :)
    I'm not complaining about anything...I really like our van. It is a 2003 with 39k and going strong. We had the A/C noise and the new hose helped, but the dealership didn't really want to replace the hose and denied there being a problem, even though most of the folks posting at the time were aware of a pretty loud a/c noise at idle. (Our noise started with 500miles on the car). I think KIA has done a great job with the van. Could there be improvements? Sure...show me a family truckster that is perfect.

At least two people posted with electrical fires in the dash. Generally, if you compare this with 631 postings for a car that is now 4 model years old, the complaints are pretty few.

Your comments are valued. Hope you keep posting!
  • monty2222monty2222 Member Posts: 48
    Well I just got it last August. 8000 miles on it. This February the check engine light came on, and it ran a bit rough at startup. Problem went away, and no time to take it in. Then recently I noticed road noise I had not heard before, a hum just like tire noise, sounds like I'm driving with offroad tires. I took it in to have both looked at. The Check Light was for misfire on #5 cylinder. They replaced the spark plug. However, they put the car up on some rack where they can run it, and said they found the right front drive axle jumping up and down, so they put in a new axle. Unfortunately it also needs a new rear hub bearing on the same side, which wont come in for a week. So I have to go back again for that. For now the road noise is still the same. It better not be the same when they are finished. Very disappointing for a new vehicle. He said they have been finding bearings damaged by hitting potholes. ????
    My '02 Sedonas' AM radio reception is quite awful. :cry: I do not drive this too much (wifes' vehicle...she listens to FM) but it seems worse now to me then when we first purchased it. I get signifigant interference around power lines and it also picks up the engine rpm on occasion. While at the surburban dealer for the throttle cable recall, I had the tech look into this. He basically said that they all are known for that and that swapping out with new would obtain the same result. He checked the antenna connection for tightness. I had asked him if there was a noise supressor that may have gone bad but he said that he was unaware of this being a seperate entity. I guess that it is built into the radio. I also notice that the led lighting on the radio flickers ever so slightly on occasion.

While getting it inspected previously at another dealer in the city, I had asked about this problem. (I could not duplicate it then...probably because I was so close to the signal) He said that what he was doing in situations like this was adding an extra ground connection to the radio.

Any suggestions? :confuse:
  • comeonalreadycomeonalready Member Posts: 1
    I know how you feel, I bought my minivan almost one year ago, and after complaining about the jerky breaking 7 months ago, and having the rotors machined, they now need replacing, and guess what, the warranty no longer covers them. I phoned the dealership to tell them that I would not pay for them when obviously they were a withstanding problem. After the guy on the phone told me how the rotors can be caused to go bad two footed driving, hauling objects too heavy and breaking too fast with them on, etc.. he then agreed to "absorb" the costs, but I'm certain I'll be told differently when they are actual replaced tomorrow. I'll let you know what I find out.
    Isn't it wonderful to own a Kia. I just wish this was my only complaint. My van came with a DVD system, (the main reason I picked this one over the Ford I was looking at), and it was broken before I left the lot for home with it, and broke again after that. I just wasn't ready for that, I never thought to ask myself what am I going to do when the paper work has been signed and the brand-new van has something that needs replacing on it before I leave with it, hindsight aside I should have kept my Malibu.
    Don't rule out wheel bearings or hubs. I have 80m on my 2002 sedona. I have had the wheel bearings both left and right front replaced I think 2 or three times.
    Thanks Tech.

Ok the timing belt.

I have done many tb's but as you know each type or make of vehicle has it's own circumstances. I still want to do this . I know I can save some $
    I just didn't want to have to buy the manual.

The gas smell.. Some of you have wrote and mentioned some possibilities.. ie loose cap cat converter.... no no no no no . I have been there done all that.

This is raw gas like if you spilled it on the floor strong raw gas! My wife and family think were going to blow up.

I used to work at a ma and pa service center so I know enough that this is not right. It can't be wet gas though because it tends to dissipate quickly.

It seems to come in the air vents like its coming off the fuel rail or something. I have given the dealer as much info as I can
    I was told to move this from minivans / Kia Sedona to here by suggestion. Can anyone help?

During the warmer months I get intermittent occurrences of raw gasoline smell inside my vehicle. it is not from the road surface or other vehicles. by the time i get it to the dealer they cant duplicate the problem.

3. to reply to some of the topics.
    I have also found that the pulsing brakes may have more to do with the rear drums…. I even had a dealer service rep tell me they were fine. At 270000 mi and then at 33,000 tell me the brakes are shot. He also told me that Kias don’t have automatic adjusters… It’s a DOT requirement that they have those. Anyway I fixed those brakes myself.

4. My 2002 Sedona gets really bad mileage 17 hwy if I am lucky Dealer said it was normal.

Also now the air bag indicator has come on. about 5 months ago I had trouble with the A/C and heating cluster. At that time I also had my windshield replaced.
    Could a wire have been loosened?
    Another forum I saw where someone said this was due to the switches in the safety belt couplers..... what what do they have to do with an airbag system. They must be thinking of the seat belt light instead. or could someone comment?

My AM Radio stinks also especially when my cell phone charger is plugged in. It almost seems like old cars when you could get Impedance mismatch on the antenna and you had a trim capacitor to tune calibrate the antenna to the radio.

In most of these issues the dealer has tried to blow off my concerns

#4261 of 4265 Re: 2002 Sedona Gas Smell [mnkids2kias] by claires HOST May 04, 2005 (1:01 pm)
    Bookmark | Reply | E-mail Mg
    This forum is for the discussion of the features, attributes, etc. of the Kia Sedona. You might want to post your question in the Kia Sedona Problems discussion to see if the folks there have answers to your problem.

Claire
  • mmaxtellmmaxtell Member Posts: 3
    The hubby and I just bought our 2005 Sedona last night. We fell in love with it as soon as we test drove it. Only one problem so far, check engine light came on. Hubby said he turned it till it clicked like he was told to do, but the light is still on and won't go off, so I'm calling the dealership today.

Hopefully, this doesn't keep occuring, lol.

Mari
  • deloobetrofdeloobetrof Member Posts: 1
    Hi folks
    I bought a new 5 speed manual Carnival (I am in Australia) last July and am very happy with it.We bought it because we wanted room as we trade at antique fairs and the seat removal and 2 sliding doors is ideal to get heaps of stuff in the thing. Nothing has broken or fallen of the vehicle. OZ has the 2.5 litre petrol motor in them which is OK but not startling although it cruises very well above the speed limit when it is safe to do so.The only problem(s) I have with it, and the dealer can't find them, is an intermittant rattle which seems to come from the left front wheel and a clunking noise which comes from the right font wheel the first time it is used each day. This clunking only last for the length of our drive way and doesn't come back for the rest of the day. In the old days I would have said that it is a lack of grease in the CV joint (ah la Mini Minor) but the mechanics shrugg me off as knowing nothing as they are the experts. Has anybody else had experiences with these noise?
    Cheers from OZ :)
    only when the hubby drives it?

Yesterday I took the gas cap back off and put it back in according to the dealership, drove it for a little bit and the check engine light went off (yippee). Unfortunately, when the hubby drove it to work last night it came back on. Only thing he did that I don't do is use the cruise control.

Could that be causing an issue? I really don't want to have to take it to the dealership if I can avoid it.

Mari
  • dean5dean5 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 04 and it did the same. Ours was caused by some sensor in the filler tube for the gas tank. It only happened when I filled up the tank - I like to fill it until I can see it. The dealer told me that when it clicks off I should not try to put in any more gas.
  • dean5dean5 Member Posts: 5
    I had the same issue with my 04. It was shifting really hard between 3rd and 4th. Dealer stated that there was a TSB on this which required the trans computer to be re-programmed. Fixed it for about a day then it came back. Currently KIA has ordered a new trans for us for there is some sort of defect that is causing the hard shift.
  • jaywolfjaywolf Member Posts: 11
    Our Sedona caught on fire today May 20, 2005 sitting in Mcdonald's parking lot while my wife and two children were inside Mcdonald's. There is nothing left of the inside of the van.
  • nowrenchnowrench Member Posts: 1
    So far, so good! Is there any thing I should be on the lookout for? How has service response been. Are the dealers taking care of business, as far as Service goes?
  • jdfjdf Member Posts: 7
    We found a reference to this little access panel near the shift lever in the manual. When we stick a screwdriver in that hole, we can shift out of park on the colder days. However, it says to service the vehicle immediately after doing so. Kiatech, do you know what this button is for? Do we really need to bring it in for some sort of reset? This has temporarily solved our unable to shift problem.
    I haven't been overfilling it. I don't try past the kick off on the pump. Oddly enough, after I filled it the last time, the check engine light went off for a while, then came back on at about the 3/4 tank mark. No one had been using the cruise control.

I'll just have to take it to the dealer's to find out what the problem is.
  • saabturboidsaabturboid Member Posts: 178
    This is the 2nd or 3rd report I've read in these message rooms about a Sedona burning. This obviously is of great concern as my family rides around in a Sedona and I'm concerend about their safety. There was a situation here a few years ago where a daycare provider had a minivan (not Kia) filled with 7 kids and it caught on fire. She was only able to get two of them out of their car seats in time. It is amazing and scary how fast a car can go up in flames.

What I don't understand is I have checked the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website where they keep a database on safety issues for all modern vehicles. I was surprised to not find any reported fires listed for the Kia Sedona. I don't understand how a safety problem of this magnitude would not be documented. If two or three have been reported here, there must be more, but on the NHTSA site it's as if the problem doesn't exist. Can anyone comment?
  • jaywolfjaywolf Member Posts: 11
    Saabturboid,
    Please go to the nhtsa web sight, under nhtsa quick links, go to what are you looking for... go to recalls. Under recalls find complaints and click on search. Then go under ( vehicle ), then year ( 2003 ), make ( Kia ), model ( Sedona ), type ( passenger car ), componet-first try ( electrical systems ), don't forget to check the "see full summary box", read the 3rd entry. Then next go under ( electrical system wiring front underhood ), then try ( electrical systems wiring ). If that is not enough you can also look up 2002's and find a few more. It is a bit time consuming to find the information... but it is well worth the information. So sorry, but the problem does exist.
  • johnkiajohnkia Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Sedona Ex with about 21000 mi. It's been moaning and blowing tepid since it was 6 mos. old. Bought it in the spring so didn't notice the problem until warmer weather (May). They replaced a thermocoupler, an O-ring, checked freon level and said it was okay. Our trip to Florida was toasty, to say the least. We live in Alabama and a/c is not an option, it's a requirement. I made them put a temperature probe in the vents and it only blew at 60 degrees, about 15 warmer than it should. My wife's Spectra blows at 40-42. They told me "it's a smaller car". Not the point, if it comes out at 60 it will never cool on an 80+ degree day, no matter the size of the vehicle. The moaning I could live with if it meant I could be cool. I suspect a door under the dash isn't closing and is allowing uncooled air in. I never hear that 'thump' I hear in other cars when the a/c is engaged. Anyone ever get this problem fixed? I understand an expansion valve can solve the moaning, but before I go ballistic at the dealer I would love to be able to point them to a specific problem area since they can't seem to find it on their own.
    I'd try another dealer...anybody who tried to tell you 60 degrees is OK for a/c is a bad/inexperienced mechanic or blowing the proverbial smoke at you.

The a/c moaning was supposedly fixed by a new hose design. Sounds like they should be replacing the a/c compressor. See KIATech's post on the subject. I'm sure he will have words on your post.

The thump you hear could be the door/gate closing with vaccum to switch vents around (defrost to dash to floor or a combo), or the compressor kicking in. On some cars that is quite pronounced.
  • spectramanspectraman Member Posts: 255
    JW claimed:

Our Sedona caught on fire today May 20, 2005 sitting in Mcdonald's parking lot while my wife and two children were inside Mcdonald's. There is nothing left of the inside of the van.

Can you post a link to some photos?

In addition to being informative to examine, it would help eliminate any doubts that your post is authentic.

Thanks,

-SM
  • spectramanspectraman Member Posts: 255
    http://www.freep.com/money/autonews/irep26e_20050526.htm

EXCERPT

AUTO INDUSTRY REPORT: Kia to recall minivans

May 26, 2005

Kia Motors America Inc. said Wednesday it's recalling more than 37,000 minivans because of possible damage to a rear wheel bearing that could cause a crash.

Kia said a defect might exist on 37,358 Kia Sedona minivans from the 2003-05 model years that have alloy wheels. Company engineers found that moisture can accumulate around the small steel cap that seals the rear hub and bearing assembly on alloy wheels and lead to damage to the wheel bearing.

The company said a failure can occur without warning and cause a crash. The company said it's unaware of any accidents the defect caused. There have been four warranty claims due to the problem, said Kia spokeswoman Rose Krupp.

The majority of the vehicles, more than 26,000, are from the 2004 model year, the company told the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

-SM
  • dwo1dwo1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Sedona LX and noticed that the A & B trip meters only go to 999. Can anyone tell me if they have one that goes higher ?
    I have taken it to the dealer and they haven't been able to verify either way.
    I have a 2003 Rio Cinco and both go to 9999.
    In my opinion if it only goes to 999 it is pretty much worthless. I use one to keep track of my mileage and the other to track mileage between oil changes and/or total mileage on long trips.
  • kiabuyerfoolkiabuyerfool Member Posts: 1
    We have a sedona 2004 van and also had the moaning an AC trouble. After 14 trips to the dealership and they had done tons of unnecessary crap to our new van, like add insulation, loosen and tighten all manner of connectors and bolts...on trip 15 (finally) the Kia tech said oh yeah, we knew about the problem all along. Apparently there is a spring like device in the system that must be replaced. The one they had is faulty. It is like an expansion valve. They replaced it (finally) and it has never done it again. We hate the Kia. It is cheap, has had to have tons of work done. I am the only driver and this 2004 EX Kia has only 40,000 miles on it. We bought it Dec 2003 so it is not driven that much. I drive it slow and carefully too. NO teenager hotrodding it etc. This vehicle is babied. The windshield cracked, the wrong one was ordered. Luckily it was caught before installation. The "tape" around the windows (both sides) totally cracked and looked awful. It was "re painted" as they said new "tape" would just do it again. The paint has all worn off the bottom running panels. The carpet is simply so cheap and cheaply installed, I hate the speakers and substandard stereo. The seats do not attach well and I just saw where there is a problem with the 2003 models I bet mine is the same. The headrests hit the seats in front of them. Too tight and the back seat hits the back glass. The windshield wiper system has about 35 settings (jeez) and I just DO NOT LIKE IT. but...I guess we are stuck with this lemon
This discussion has been closed.