Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sedona problems

Comments

• momonthegomomonthego Member Posts: 14
    Honestly there is probably no car that is safe in your attached garage. You probably shouldn't park your mower in there either. But people do and they will likely continue to no matter what anyone here says. My friend had her Honda CRV catch fire in her garage and their house burned to the ground, even though her husband noticed the smoke, just before he was going to bed at midnight and got her and their daughter out, their house could not be saved. Even though there were lots of these CRV fires I don't think Honda ever took responsibility nor did they do a recall. I think they sent info out to techs about how to install the filter right or something, but that doesn't really help the guy who does his own oil changes. I hate to see people get in a panic over something like this. Fires happen to lots of vehicles as proven by this statistic mentioned previously... 100,000 non-accident related automotive fires every year. So the vehicle you go to may not be any more safe.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5403348/
  • spectramanspectraman Member Posts: 255
    JW:

My previous response was deleted due to the fact that I published *links* to other forums. I forgot the "policy". Hopefully you saw the original before it was yanked.

If not, here's the "Cliffs Notes" version:

- Make your photo site a clearing house of your related communications with KIA, NHTSA, etc.

- Offer your site up to host pics and info of other Sedona fire victims.

- Post your site's URL on every automotive and family-based forum board on the web. I found over half a dozen with a quick Google search... you should be able to do the same. The KIA forum on Google Groups (USENET) (gee... can I say that in here?) has a person currently with a Sedona that had a battery explode and whack a lot of electronics/wiring under the hood. The van now has *major* electronic gremlins running around it, several which seem to be causing some unintended acceleration problems. The USENET poster, a guy named Paul, claims to have email addresses to honchos at Hyundai/KIA's Korean headquarters, and he's posted a website address that you can reach him at. Someone who read his posts forwarded the addresses to him, and I bet he'd be willing to pass along the favor.

If that doesn't get you some kind of reaction from KIA, then nothing but a spanking from the NHTSA will get the job done!

Good luck,

-SM
  • justmoi40justmoi40 Member Posts: 1
    I'm getting ready to go on a long driving trip. Has anyone ever had a clicking noise under thier Kia Sedona when turning? :cry:
  • monty2222monty2222 Member Posts: 48
    2004 Sedona. Ok, well I take it back in tomorrow. When I hit the gas strongly from a stop it lurches, then hesistates a few seconds, then lurches again (repeats depending on how hard I had accelerated). Did not act like this before. Almost got hit twice pulling into intersections. Found one post from somewhere that said it was their ECM (emission control module?).
  • teamndteamnd Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone else experienced a low grade humming. It usually occurs after a turn while we are picking up speed. A short duration, maybe 3-5 seconds long?

Secondly, Has anyone experienced problem with the internal lights not coming on while the switch is in the correct middle position?

Finally, has anyone experienced a problem with the keyless entry and the car locking by itself. I understand the component exists when your back door is open but after a minute it is scheduled to lock for safety, but this occurs with no regularity nor consistency. Van will just lock up with out being activatied to lock?

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED
    TOM
    Hey JW:

Did you ever follow-up on the alt.autos.kia thread on Google Groups (USENET) and contact 'Paul', the guy with the KIA HQ email list? If not, here's the form on his website where you can do that. http://www.the-coach.com/askcoachpaul.htm. Tell him that you saw his posts on USENET, and would like him to forward you the same addresses. Someone on the 'Net sent them to him, so I'd think he'd be interested in helping you out.

If you read his most recent two posts below, it appears that by contacting Korea directly, he's getting some action. Why don't you do the same and let us know on here what happens.

-SM

BEGIN POSTING EXCERPTS FROM USENET:

plitwack Jun 20, 6:31 am show options

Newsgroups: alt.autos.kia
    Date: 20 Jun 2005 03:31:19 -0700
    Local: Mon,Jun 20 2005 6:31 am
    Subject: Re: UPDATE - 1 week later re: Kia Battery Exploded - still VERY unsafe

Thanks for your kind reply.

Unfortunately Canada does NOT have similar Lemon Laws and the
    President's office has been involved since the day after the battery
    exploded.

We are trying to avoid legal action as this fiasco has already drained
    us emotionally and financially. To be honest, I think that is what KIA
    wants ... for us to just go away. We will not.

That is why we are writing to the Korean HQ directly. We have obtained
    some key email contacts there since my earlier post

... Paul

plitwack Jun 22, 7:11 am show options

Newsgroups: alt.autos.kia
    Date: 22 Jun 2005 04:11:25 -0700
    Local: Wed,Jun 22 2005 7:11 am
    Subject: Re: UPDATE - 1 week later re: Kia Battery Exploded - still VERY unsafe

UPDATE: June 21, 2005

We have heard back from KIA Motors (Head Office in Korea) - they are
    very interested in helping us.
    So I'll hold further posts for a while to see how they can help.

Thanks for your encouragement and interest.

... Paul
  • lizzrdlizzrd Member Posts: 1
    I have an '05 Sedona. I like the van! I have noticed on several occasions that the speedometer sometimes just quits working. This is accompanied by the backlight on the speedo going out also. This occurs several times per week and lasts for a minute to 5 minutes and happens at no particular time. Also, when this happens the cruise control stops working.

The dealer can't find anything (that's if they even looked) since they took it for a short drive around the block and nothing happened.

Anyone out there experiencing the same problem? If yes, was it fixed? How?

Thanks! :confuse:
    LZ:

Got a video camera? If not, can you borrow one?

Since this is happening several times a week according to your post, make a video tape with the date/time turned on, showing the described symptoms occurring multiple times.

With that type of evidence available, I'd start pressing the dealer to simply replace the speedo and/or gauge cluster. It would at least be a starting place for them.

Let us know what the final outcome is.

-SM
  • navyairnavyair Member Posts: 202
    It seems that the main source of problems recently stems from the steering wheel column. I'd have them take the column apart and check for chaffed wires. Certainly don't want to have a fire like the others have reported. The folks talking about fires all say they came from the steering column.
  • mysedonamysedona Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2002 Sedona and have just joined this forum. I am seeking information about what I considered to be horrendous gas mileage. It seems that under 20 is acceptable and the norm for this vehicle? While viewing the posts, I noticed the comments about front end noise and inside left tire wear. My Sedona suffers from these noises and the abnormal tire wear on the front left tire. I have replaced the front left tire and am getting an allignment tomorrow.
    We'll see how it goes.

Meanwhile, in an effort toimporve what I thought was poor gas mileage, I am seeking advice on performing my own throttle body, fuel induction/injection cleaning to hopefully improve mileage. KIA wants $425 to perform the 60K service which includes those things, coolant flush and brake cleaning. I suspect I can perform most of those things, if not all, for a fraction of the cost, not including what my time is worth. I'm just not sure about throttle body cleaning. Can anyone suggest or describe how to go about perfoming this maintenance?

Thanks,

John
  • specialkfxspecialkfx Member Posts: 2
    Sorry there John - I feel your pain. I have a 2003 that gets poor MPG as well. This van weighs almost 5,000 LBS, so I would not think cleaning the throttle body is going to do you any good. Remember that those good crash-test ratings have a lot to do with the immense weight of this vehicle.

I had my 30K maintenance done and they stuck me for around $325 - what a rip. I will do myself (or have someone else do it) for the 60K.

As far as MPG go, my only suggestion (and I have not tested this yet) is to remove all the seats in the van when it's only going to be you in the car. Those bad boys weigh around 60 LBS a piece - I know it's a pain to haul them out and store them, but that may be a quick way to save a little gas. I can't do this as I'm constantly transporting my 2 kids around (Child-safety seats are a pain in my you-know-where).

Also, since you have a 2002, the original tires have probably been replaced. I noticed an increase in MPG without those Khomo tires (sorry for the spelling).

I've had a few problems that you should be aware of - just don't freak out if these things happen to you:

1) Gas pedal fell off - not while driving, but still!
    2) Two of the door handles broke - one pulled out, the other just broke.
    3) Driver-side map light burned out (make sure you replace this before 12,000 miles or they'll charge you 8+ dollars for this)
    4) Radio/CD Player shorted out.

All of these were under warranty (except that stupid little map light).

Hope this helps, and you get the answer to your throttle body question.

Mike
  • specialkfxspecialkfx Member Posts: 2
    Hey Tom, I have a 2003 Sedona, and I hear this humming noise too - more of a "groan", like it's coming from the right side of the van somewhere. Mine does it after a turn or when I first apply the brake. It will continue to do this for a while, but not all the time.

My wife thinks it's the rear windsheild washer pump, but I don't think that's it. Hopefully someone who knows of this problem will see our posts and offer some better insight. For a while there, I thought I was hearing things. Glad to see someone else is hearing the groaning.

I would read the manual on the "lock-itself" problem. I know you can program the car to do different things with the keyless fob. Maybe yours was programmed differently than when it came from the factory. What year is your van?

Let me know.

Mike
  • teamndteamnd Member Posts: 2
    Mike,
    We just brought the Van in for the recall on 04 and these two problems. The service tech beleives it is related to the power steering system...seems plausible, but he is unsure of how to fix it. He is contacting others to see if there is a system problem that is fixable.
    It could just as likely be something in the fuel pump or brake line assemby, but who knows...it is just bothersome.
    Your 'groan' discription is better and more accurate...they were unable to hear it since, as you know, ti never seems to occur on demand.

I will keep you and everyone posted on what i find our via KIA

TOM
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    Anybody had to replace the battery in your Sedona? Our 2002 has 52,000 miles and yesterday while engine was warm and running some errands around town, it clicked and sounded like it wouldn't start. Finally got it to turn over and start after waiting a couple minutes, but it did the same thing again this morning after sitting 10 hours in warm weather.

I don't know if the battery is on its last legs or if it is some sort of issue.

We need to make a dealer appointment soon for various warranty items, so I may add this to the list or I may just have a new battery installed this weekend.
  • saabturboidsaabturboid Member Posts: 178
    I sympathize. The gas mileage of the Sedona is terrible, probably the worst of any minivan. I do have a few tips that should get you to 20mpg.

- Inflate your tires to at least 38psi. The van won't ride as nice, but the higher air pressure in your tires stiffens them up so there is less rolling resistance.

- Run 5w30 full synthetic oil. Synthetic oil is more slippery than conventional oil and not only will it protect your engine better, but it allows less internal friction which will help gas mileage.

- This one makes the biggest difference. Drive gingerly. Don't accelerate quickly from a stop, or accelerate quickly when trying to speed up. The slower you speed up the better. The 3.5L engine in the Sedona offers nice power but at a price. When ever you are using it to get up and go it is sucking a lot of gas to move the almost 5,000 pounds. I have noticed if I make a conscious effort to be light on the gas pedal I can eek 2 or more miles a gallon on average per tank. All of these steps have gotten me to 20mpg, a mileage that other vans start at. Oh well, hopefully the next Sedona will be lighter.

- Chad
  • plitwackplitwack Member Posts: 1
    June 30, 2005

Eight days ago, we heard back immediately from Kia Head office in Korea and were given the direct email and phone numbers of their key executives responsible for Kia operations in North America (US and Canada). We emailed them and received email 'read receipts' that same day. So we knew they had opened our email in their Inbox.

As of yesterday when no reply had been received, we wrote our original contact, the KIA Director of Worldwide Communication to ask status.

He was embarrassed his executives had not had to courtesy to reply that Kia company policy is to leave it in the hands of the local country. (aside: if this were true 8 days ago, why wouldn't they say so then??).

We were given a Kia Head Office representative who resides here in Toronto and we left a voice mail this morning asking for assistance.

Instead of him calling back, someone else did - specifically referring to the call we made him

He was direct and curt, identifying himself as 'George' the Kia CAMVAP representative and said he was proud to be involved in the Kia decision process for our car from the beginning. (aside: I wouldn't be so proud ;-)

His sole purpose seemed to be to read a prepared statement from the company that future communications with the company would only take place at a CAMVAP arbitration hearing. He was not prepared to answer any of my questions.

CAMVAP is the Canadian Motor Vehicle Arbitration Plan - a Government sponsored program set up to help consumers resolve disputes with vehicle manufacturers in a way that is fair, fast, free and final.

So that is our next step, by their choosing.

If anybody reading this forum has experience in preparing for a CAMVAP hearing, please do help.

Thanks and for our many Canadian and US readers celebrating July 1st and July 4th - have a good long weekend.

... Paul
    John,

You can pay Kia a few $ and get access to their Sedona mechanics manual at Kia.com. However, remember the 60 K service also includes a new timing chain/belt, as I recall. Good discussion on this previously, and it looks to be pretty hard for us shade tree mechanics. I'm sure Kiatech will weigh in here soon.

Lots of impacters on gas mileage as stated...stop and go on a heavy vehicle is a killer. I store one of my seats using a bicycle hoist I purchased at Target...avail from others as well. Basically, it is set up on a window blinds hoist so I can raise it to the ceiling of the garage (finished garage) when I don't need it, and lower it/install when I do. I keep the seat stored in a large plastic bag while in the garage. Tire inflation is critical, as is make/type of tire, as already pointed out. The 60k service also includes new plugs.
  • minivanfrankminivanfrank Member Posts: 83
    Have not been on for a bit. Two points come to mind:

1- Kiatech is giving us fantastic info...THANK YOU :D

2- As to the fires...those pictures were very sobering.
    BD,

As I recall, the battery is excluded from the 5 yr warantee, just like light bulbs. I'm away from home on travel now, but I do remember a lot of discussion about Kia OEM batteries only lasting 1-2 yrs, so you did well.

When mine goes out, I intend to get the biggest battery (cold cranking power) I can find that fits.

FYI, I bought a trickle charger that desulfates a battery at Northern tools ~$45. If it works as advertised, it will remove the sulphur coating on the plates that kills the battery ultimately. I leave it attached to my pickup that only gets driven on the occasional weekend. Did it earlier this year. Sort of a test project. My OEM battery in my '97 Ford F150 (purchased in '96) is still going strong (max life is supposed to be ~5 yrs) so thought I'd see just how much life I can get out of it, just for fun...might be a sea story in there somewhere.

v/r JC
  • wanteconwantecon Member Posts: 11
    Regarding problem #4, It won't matter which gas station you go to. The problem is in the design of the filler neck in the van. It is too long and the gas pump thus, senses it's filled far before it really is. My Sedona usually tops off about 4.5 gallons after the pump automatically shuts off. My real problem is the horrible mileage. Last tank was only 12.57 mpg. Rated for 16/23 . Have never gotten anywhere near 16 in the city. Usually arond 13 and highest on highway with very, very light foot on the gas pedal was 17.49 in the fall w/o running any AC. Just horrible numbers. Also, we will soon be having the warranty cover the second replacement of the WARPED front brake rotors. But mainly, the economy is horrible. My next door neighbors Ford Excursion is getting better mpg's. Very dissappointing, indeed.
  • wanteconwantecon Member Posts: 11
    RESPONSE TO # 36 :Regarding problem #4, It won't matter which gas station you go to. The problem is in the design of the filler neck in the van. It is too long and the gas pump thus, senses it's filled far before it really is. My Sedona usually tops off about 4.5 gallons after the pump automatically shuts off. My real problem is the horrible mileage. Last tank was only 12.57 mpg. Rated for 16/23 . Have never gotten anywhere near 16 in the city. Usually arond 13 and highest on highway with very, very light foot on the gas pedal was 17.49 in the fall w/o running any AC. Just horrible numbers. Also, we will soon be having the warranty cover the second replacement of the WARPED front brake rotors. But mainly, the economy is horrible. My next door neighbors Ford Excursion is getting better mpg's. Very dissappointing, indeed.
    Kiatech,

If you are on line I have a questions for you...my wife reports both low beams don't work, but high beams and fog lights do. (2003 EX). Fuses check OK on swap out. My guess is that one bulb burned out and she didn't notice that, followed by the other. Just curious if you knew of something else it might be. We use the low beams all the time as driving lights. If I don't hear from you, I'll check the on-line manual. Just wanted to see if it might be a circuit. Headlights looked to be interesting challenge to change as I recall, but it has been awhile since I looked at them.

Naturally, I'm away from home right now for a long business trip, and she just left on a 1000 mile trip this am to pick up our daughter tomorrow. Thanks for any insights you have.

Have a good holiday weekend, all.
  • wtoddwtodd Member Posts: 1
    I have an 02 Sedona with 70K on it. It has been mostly trouble free. They did replace the front rotors at 18K miles. And I had the rust around the rear hatch problem. I have been getting around 15-18 mpg around town and 20-23 on the highway. We like the van so far adn hope we can continue having good service from it.
  • harysonharyson Member Posts: 2
    LIZZRD,
    I just saw this on an 05 Sedona that I test drive. All of the gages would read zero and everything electric resets. (IE radio, cruise control etc.) I could make it happen every time with more electrical load on the system(radio, A?C on full, etc) It seems the battery was low on charge. I don't know if they have a string of faulty batteries or a recharge will fix it. In my case, I took the car back to the dealer, made them replace the battery and test drove it again with no problems.
    Good Luck
  • bwellbwell Member Posts: 1
    Dear Kiatech,

I'm new to the forum, read the posts about alternator. I own a 02 Sedona, have had some problems and poor service as well. My Sedona started acting strange last Dec-Jan time frame where as the radio would just blank out, sort of like someone pulled the fuse. And within a half minute the car would just cut off - like someone turned the key off. If you tried to restart immediatey - would get nothing. If we let the car sit for a while something would reset and the car would start and run fine. We would have to reset the radio/clock. This has gone on for months, then one day the check engine light came on. And the electrical drop out would reoccur. I told my wife to get it to KIA.

Anyway, took the car to KIA in May 05 and they found bad canister valve (check engine code), and replaced the radio but NO answer for the car cutting off. Car was just over 60k warranty - and they did the repairs at no cost.

Yet, took car home and during next two months (may-june 05) car still acted goofy, radio cut out, engine cut out every once in a while. Then last week, it went really haywire. It was hot outside, 95 degrees, took a 40 minute trip with A/C on. On return trip home car started to act goofie again only worse. First radio blanked out, then A/C blower was oscillating, the air bag warning light came on, ABS warning light, then brake warning and finally battery warning. Car was running rough, I turned all electric off, opened windows and it limped home. Couldn't close power windows/sunroof at all. So obviouly it drained the battery. I waited about 4-5 hours, the battery bounced back and I was able to close windows. But car wouldn't start. Jumped it the next day, and it limped to dealer. Barely ran, same warnings came on. Car now has 65k, dealer says bad alternator AND won't cover it. I'm stuck w/ $500 repair. Called KIA national - they tried to help - but DPSM says he sees no link to previous 6-7 months of issue. Such b.s. I think the alternator was slowly dying since Jan and the hot day with the A/C running finally put it out of it's misery.

can you offer any tips or anything that can help me deal with service manager who won't budge?

regards, Bob
  • kallen479kallen479 Member Posts: 9
    Kiatech,

This may not be the thread for this, but I have a question for you. We are interested in purchasing an '05 Sedona EX. We want one with a DVD system, but no sunroof (hard to find in the color we want). Is it possible for the dealer to install the same system as the facory's and does it work as good? Our local dealer told us they could install a DVD system (don't know if it's the same), but that it really wasn't that good and we'd be better off buying one from Wal Mart that hung over the seatback. However, I don't care for this solution.

Also, does the sunroof push the DVD system far enough back that it is uncomfortable for an adult to watch in the second row? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Kallen
  • yapsteryapster Member Posts: 2
    My 2003 Kia Sedona caught on fire on June 21, 2005. I had moved my car across the street that morning for street cleaning and had gone back inside my house because I had been waiting for my son to get ready for school. The car engine was not running. I had been inside the house for @ 5 to 7 minutes, when a neighbor came to my house to tell me that smoke was coming from my car. I went to my car and found that there was fire coming up from the inside front driver side of the vehicle ( down by the area above the brake and gas pedals). The fire was put out by the fire department and luckily no one was hurt! The incident is still under investigation and I haven't yet notified Kia of the situation (though I will). I have been to another website that also mentioned @4-5 similar situations of fires in 2003 Kia Sedonas (mycarstats.com)! I am really annoyed over this whole thing!
  • cjc1959cjc1959 Member Posts: 1
    Has this problem been solved? We have expeirenced drive loss in our 03 Sedona also. The vehicle would vibrate and buck and lose all gears and motion, including Park!? We had it towed into the shop and when it came off the tow truck it was fine and ran like a top. It happened again yesterday and now I'm really worried. Had it towed to the dealer but haven't heard anything yet. Help please. CJ
  • sedonasorentosedonasorento Member Posts: 29
    On ours, it only happened the one time. The vehicle had reverse and park, just no forward gears. Had it towed to the dealer, and of course it worked perfectly for them. No problems since - probably a temporary electronic glitch. Doesn't sound like the same problem you are having, though.
    Folks,

Just got back from having both low beam headlights replaced. (03 EX) Not unexpected as we run all the time with headlights on. ($25 each plus labor, $116 total)

Thought you might like to know there is a TSB (049) May 2005 out for EX's for the rear hubs/bearings to check/replace. Right now these are out of stock, so you might want to get yours checked/replaced. I found it out on the Kia.com service manual website ($79/yr to access BTW) although you can find it on the mycarstats.com website for free.

In regards to post 732/733, your rumble may be your air conditioning compressor. If it hasn't been replaced with a new one yet, the original unit seems to be noisy and usually fails at/near the end of warantee life. We noticed ours at 1200 miles, and the tech just ordered a new one at 42k. Still works good, though.

Stay safe, all. r/JC

Special KFX
  • jaywolfjaywolf Member Posts: 11
    Sorry to hear about your 03 Sedona ... I hope you have contacted https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivog// . They have started a preliminary evaluation with only 5 fires. You will be #6. I think that the nhtsa is all over this because the fires start while parked. Just think of the potential damage a parked Sedona could do at a gas station! As to you being annoyed ... just wait until you start to deal with Kia. I am out close to $4,000.00. When I bought the car in Feb. 04 I thought I was getting a great deal. For $500 more I was able to get a 03 Ex instead of a base model 04. Look at what that $500 has cost me in the end. If I had been treated fairly, I would have had no issues with Kia. I would have been able to say, yes my Sedona was a problem, but look at how well Kia treated me and values me as a consumer. I can't say much for the way I was treated. I guess you could say my opinion on Kia is "Inconclusive", whatever that means.
  • kiatechkiatech Member Posts: 38
    Low hum on the right side,I am assuming intermittantly. If it does it while the ac is on,it is most likely going to be the rear ac unit expansion valve. Rear wheel bearings will either be faulty or not i.e. its either broke or its not. Next time it makes the noise see if the ac is in operation or not.
    Your lighting issue may be the switch itself. It controls the current to the lamps. Only way to verify is to be able to duplicate.
    Door locking issue. May be that the door handle rods are hanging up on the inside of the door panel and in turn the switches arent going to the fully closed or open position. In turn the door locks will seem to have a mind of there own at certain times. I have seen the door lock rods hang on the vapor barrier. Hope it helps.
    Sounds like you may be a canidate for the alt update,if it hasnt been done yet which can be done while under warranty. If it has been done mostly likely a faulty battery.The battery lasted most likely 3+yrs,I wouldnt complain. There actually may even be alittle proration left on the battery for warranty to cover. Look into it. Doubtful that there is a starter issue but I have replaced a small number of them,in 4 model yrs. I think 3. Hope it helps.
    I personally would advise you to NOT attempt to put that timing belt on if you have never done one before. Not only is it a royal pain in the ****,but there is NO room for mistakes if ya get the cams out of time,there are four of them,the valves,all of them will bend. Then you can add another 2500$ to the bill of trying to save 400-500 bucks. The tensioner is hydralic also and will have to be compressed before reinstallation. AC has to be sucked down,radiator needs to be removed, Need more info? Just pay someone to do it. Thats my best advise. Hope it helps.
    Thanks. I am on the board this morning to dig up the details you posted about how to get the alternator thing examined and replaced.

Will I strengthen or weaken my chances of that free warranty repair by showing up with a fresh new battery? I'm ready to get new battery installed today since we will be driving the van this weekend. Planning to make appointment at dealer for sometime next week.

This OEM battery lasted almost 3.5 years so I'm not all that disappointed.
    Our dealer attempted to repair this problem, which included a full repaint of the hatch and them keeping our van for several days, but it didn't work and our 2002 EX now has significant 'bubbling' under the green paint around the chrome strip above the license plate region.

The problem has gotten worse gradually over the past 6-12 months.

Am I likely to get any static when returning to the dealer and expecting this to be corrected free under warranty? We're well under the 5 yrs / 60k miles, but I would hate for the dealer to say, 'this is not RUST-THROUGH so it isn't covered.' I don't expect that to happen, since they already acknowledged the problem by trying to fix it once before.
    Did you consider trying to get them to cover the lights under warranty? How long have you had your van? I know lights don't last forever, but $116 for new lowbeams - ouch.

Fortunately our 2002 EX still has the original bulbs all around.

Is it tricky to replace a headlight on Sedona? I've done so on other vehicles without much trouble. Now that I ask the question, it seems this has been discussed here before -- perhaps quite a while ago?
    The biggest issues with mileage is ones driving habits and also the enviroment that in which you drive it. Not to mention that if you are not filling the tank up,only putting in 10-20 bucks at a time you arent getting alot of gas so therefore you may actually think you are getting poor mileage. I have seen the senario so many times. 38psi,wouldnt waste my time. Standard psi is 35. Oil upgrade,wouldnt waste my time on that either. I would mathamatically check my mileage and then go from there. The above suggestions are good but I personally wouldnt go that far cause I know by changing driving habits I can increase or decrease my mileage to a degree that I also would notice a difference. Hope it helps.
    Bulbs have no warranty,after 12/12 if i remember correctly. You can thank daytime running lamps for the extra usage on the elements of the bulb. Changing them,not hard or not easy. Unbolt the entire lamp assm,pull it out and then swap them out. Be careful of the bulb retainer inside the lenz. Break that and then you will have to purchase an entire new lamp assm cause the bulbs will fall out. Hope it helps.
    I would think you are exactly correct in regards to the bulb issue. I just posted a bulb replacement suggestion. Give it a go but take your time and be careful of the retainer. Break it,expensive buld reaplacement
    Read this very carefully, Did ALL and I mean ALL of your complaints end after the alt was replaced,except for the check engine light cause the alt would have no effect on the canister close valve? If so,request a copy of all your paperwork,consintrating on the work order before the alt was replaced making sure that ALL of your complaints are listed on it. If all your complaints are listed on the paperwork and the alt did in fact fix everything,take them to court,small claims court. Now blow there mind with this one. Tell them you want a copy of Tech Service Bulliten "Group Engine,Model Sedona,Number 010. That is the bulletin for the alt update. If they say they cant,remind them about the Freedom of Information Act or have it sapiena'd. Personally,I think ya got ripped off also. Good luck.
    Agree that driving habits are the biggest determinant of fuel economy. However, I do feel that certain units within the same make/model somehow are more or less fuel-efficient than other units.

E.g. my parents have a 2003 Sedona and they can never seem to get more than 20 mpg even on the highway. Our 2002 Sedona routinely yields us 22-24mpg on the highway. We live in the same area. If anything, my dad drives a bit slower than I do.

Some reports of super-low fuel economy are hard to believe, but I do think that somehow -- perhaps due to proper or improper engine break-in -- certain units are more fuel-efficient than others.
    That can be either a port installed or dealer installed item. The item being a factory approved dvd player system. If. they are saying it isnt,the dealer is yanking your chain I bet. Hope it helps
    That's what I was trying to tell him about the previous job. It is a job for the pros. You did a much better job.
    Thanks 'tech! She had the dealer do it. She's in the midwest, I'm on the Left Coast for 5 wks...pretty standard thing - leave home for a cruise or temporary duty somewhere and the car problems start. We are real satisfied with our van. Other than the recall and some a/c noise problems, this is the first cost on anything with 40k miles, other than routine maint.

For all: Even though they are called bumper to bumper warantees, if you read them, things like tires, batteries, light bulbs usually are 12/12 and may be prorated after that.
  • eat33eat33 Member Posts: 1
    The transmission in a 2004 Kia Sedona Van purchased in new in Louisiana failed and unbeknownst to the customer was replaced with a remanufactured transmission. In addition, this KIA Sedona van has been in the shop over 10 times in less than 18 months for various problems with the exterior, trim, interior, transmission, undercarriage, suspension, etc. This is a real LEMON.
    Lets address the first issue,the transmission. Of course its going to be replaced with a brandnew "remanufactured kia transmission. They all are. Every manufacture of cars.The only way a "new" virgin trans will be installed is if one,its a new vehicle never been titled,meaning you are purchasing a item that is still literally new or if there are no remans to be gotten so therefore a new transmission will be installed. No biggy. SOP.
    10 times in 18 months your vehicle has been in the shop for what? More details please. You have a 10/100 drivetrain warranty,one of the best warrantys offered by any manufacture,a 6/60 warranty that will cover 99% of all the other misc.stuff. I would be willing to bet that all of your complaints were taken care of also,or we would be hearing about them also,in your post.
    Before you go "lemon" best learn what apply's before you go down that route.
    Everyone that owns any vehicle including myself could complain to the cows come home about any and everything if we wanted to. Its got a great warranty,use it to its max.
    No disrepect meant.
    Sincerley Kiatech
  • cbrucecbruce Member Posts: 1
    Yes. I have an '02 Sedona and just started having this acceleration problem in March. I have had the TPS adjusted twice and finally changed and the accelerator cable changed and it didn't help. Had the alternator changed as well. I have been in the shop 6 times since March '05. To make matters worse, it has now also started "shuddering" before the hesitation/lurching begins and my check engine light, which was coming on intermittently for a few seconds, has now stayed on for over a week. I have another appointment at the dealership tomorrow and I am printing out everyone's issues with this topic I can find to have it checked.
    tps changed,why?? Why was it replaced? They arent replaced just for the heck of it There is a service bulliten, Engine bulleten 005,it may apply it may not. Its basically is for hesitation on cold engine driveaway. Meaning get in the car,crank it up and go. No warm up period. Its effect vans are built prior to 11-19-01. I would look at that first to see if it applys. If not and or if so,do the software upgrade then procede as follows.
    After the above is done,if it applies,I would look at the throttle plate first to see if it needed cleaning,if so,I would have done that first. Then once that was done I would then look at base idle. If it then needed to be adjusted,I would adjust as needed if needed. These are NOT warranty issues by the way. This would be considered normal maintance.
    The throttle cable being replaced has NOTHING to do with your above complaint. Its a upgraded cable because there were issues with the exsisting cable in extremely cold climates when moisture was present. The cable freezing baiscally,if i remember correctly.
    If the check engine light is coming on most likely there is a dtc. It just doesnt come on for the heck of it,alittle humor there to lighten the situation at hand.
    Oh yea and by the way if ya didnt know you can thank uncle sam for all this also. Emmisions,arent they great. I will take a set of points,set of plugs and a two barrel carb anyday and get the fuel mileage most efi vehicles get today.
    Have fun,good luck and dont forget to thank the one that is trying to fix your car for you. We are a dieing breed. You think its tough now,wait till you see whats coming.
    Sincerely
    Kiatech
  • queenuttinqueenuttin Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2002 Kia Sedona, second owner, bought van with 17000 miles, was told I had remaining manufacture warranty, turns out warranty only good for 60000 miles. My van has been in the shop more times than I can count, problems ranging from van will die and not restart in the middle of intersections to wipers not working at all. Most of the issues were resolved but the low fuel light still does not come on till the needle gets below E on empty. My passenger side door window barely goes up and down, takes forever to roo back up. My main problem now is the van will be going down the highway at about 70mph and the van will slam the transmission down to second gear by its self. No One can find the correct problem and fix it. And now we find out someone has taken the bulb out of the dash so the check engine light would not show, and no one has any idea what is wrong. CAN Someone please help? I am at a big loss with this one. thanks
This discussion has been closed.