Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Rattles

Comments

• junepugjunepug Member Posts: 161
    We own a 2002 Camry V6 LE, asembled in Kentucky, with 17,000 miles. We have not experienced any problems with the car nor have we heard any rattles. It is possibly the best new car we have purchased in 40 years of auto purchasing experience.
  • blackrussianblackrussian Member Posts: 29
    My wife has a 93 ES300 Lexus with 75,000 miles, everyone including Consumer Reports have stated in the past that this model Lexus is a glorified Camry and to some extent it is, but I will have to say to this day it has not one rattle, I can`t believe all of these remarks about rattles in Camrys, we had an 1988 Camry for 5 years and no rattles, I know Camrys have slipped in the ratings and this may be one of the big reasons they have, I don`t know what Toyotas problem is, their losing market share to their competitors now. In closing I do want to mention that my wifes Lexus has not been flawless, we did have to spend $1400 on transmission repairs last year, on a car that has 75,000 easy miles on it. We were planning on buying a new Camry in the fall but now I don`t know, maybe we will get another Lexus, rattles can drive a person crazy and dealerships hate it when people come in complaining their cars have rattles because they are so hard to find.
  • buzzhdbuzzhd Member Posts: 39
    only 75,000 miles on Lexus transmission was serviced? Is it regular transmission maintenance costing $1,400 or rebuilding? I had 92 Maxima for 120,000 miles without tranny problem before I got 2003 LE V6 Camry. This baby rattles too much and I now am kind used to the noise, and complain nothing since dealer won't give me a sh*t on that. I regret that I didn't get leather package as I was told there will be no rattles if getting leather seats etc.

So if you want to get a Camry, trying to get leather seat.

Also I don't know if I have a problem with my 5-Speed Auto tranny. Sometimes if it hesitates a bit before moving to the next gear.

Camry won't be my future choice, period!
    Please do not judge a car by what you read in a message board. In most cases, only the disgruntled will complain and post. The folks that are pleased with the cars will, in most cases, not complain. I personally know 11 very satisfied Camry owners and absolutely no dissatisfied owners.

Our 2002 LE, V6, asembled in Kentucky, has been totally trouble-free.
  • andy71andy71 Member Posts: 96
    Congratulation on your good fortunes. But if you read Consumer Reports you will find that the 2002 Camry only got an "average" reliability rating. The main reason are the squeaks and rattles that people are posting here about. Obviously, that doesn't mean every single one of the cars will have the problems. Most probably don't but a lot of them do.
  • larryt22larryt22 Member Posts: 125
    I only have 400 miles on my 04 LE and it has both the creaking at the top of the windshield and the ticking at the bottom of the windshield. When it is 40 degrees like today, the creaking is pretty constant. When it was 80 degrees like last week, there was no creaking at all. I haven't taken it back to the dealer yet, but I am anticipating the dealer will fix this since it seems to be a common problem and there are TSBs on both issues. The local dealer where I bought it has the top ranked service department in the Chicago region and I will be extremely disappointed if they don't resolve the problem. I am just surprised that Toyota is on the 3rd year of this body style and still producing vehicles with the same problems that caused them to have an average reliability rating in the first place.
    Read the Honda Accord board. Not only are there rattles, but some of the cars have a problem starting. Looks like brakes are a problem also.

In looking back over our previous vehicles, Fords, Chevy, Volvo, MG, Volkswagen, Jeep and Dodge, I must say that our Camry and Highlaner are the best of all the vehicles we have owned. I would not have purchased the Highlander if the Camry had been a rattle trap.

I am quite sure that all auto makers have some problems on the assembly line.
    if camry is built on the assembly line and I assume all materials are the same why on the earth someone has the rattles and squeaks problems, someone doesn't. I am the victim of this problem ever since I got it new last August.
  • andy71andy71 Member Posts: 96
    My 04 SE V6 has leather seats and I don't have any squeaks and rattles; somebody was mentioning that Camrys with leather seats don't rattle. Wonder if there is any truth to that.
    if camry is built on the assembly line and I assume all materials are the same why on the earth someone has the rattles and squeaks problems, someone doesn't. I am the victim of this problem ever since I got it new last August.
  • cam2003cam2003 Member Posts: 131
    You might have no rattles on door pannels with leather material, but I do not see how you can get away with windshield rattles / Dash rattles.
    Again, the ratlles are sensitive to temperature,so depends where you live.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    I just took a look at one of the recent Consumer's Reports (don't remember which one). They state their top pick is the Accord, BUT it listed the reliability as half a red circle. The Camry had a full red circle, which says it is more reliable than Accord. Maybe Toyota has got the rattles fixed, if you go by Consumer Report ratings?
    Must be an old wives tale. Our 2002 Camry LE V6 has neither leather or squeaks or rattles.
  • solara00solara00 Member Posts: 81
    I just bought an XLE V6. ONLY 800 miles so far, but I haven't had any initial rattles. I did on our 2000 Solara from day 1 and still have them today.

But on this XLE so far, so good. I plan to post after a few thousand miles to let anyone know if the rattles start appearing.

After the first 800 miles, it's been as quiet as the proverbial church mouse. I hope it stays that way.

BTW - No alignment pull as yet. Had and still have left alignment problems with the 2000 Solara. They never could fix it. I was worried about that on this new XLE, but so far it runs as straight as an arrow.
  • rev4rev4 Member Posts: 38
    I have posted a few times about replacing my windshield cowl on my 2002 XLE...and it still is "working"...rattles gone.
  • clockerclocker Member Posts: 8
    I also had the cowl replaced. It was quiet for about a month. The rattles have come back though.
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    when the weather gets cold

your cowl rattles will return...
                           truth be told!
  • memphisguy67memphisguy67 Member Posts: 4
    I read about all the TROUBLE everyone is having and I just can't believe that everyone is having this much problem with their cars. I have had two camrys both bought new, a 1996 and now a 2004 LE. I have had nothing but trouble free driving from both of them. Still have the 96 model and have to basically put no money into it other that routine maintence. No rattles,sqeaks, ticking or tocking.
  • bjcnshrevebjcnshreve Member Posts: 1
    I too, like you, have a strange rattle! I can not tell if it is coming from the wires behind the radio or if it is from something under the console. It is bad when you stop at a red light. You can put it in "PARK or "NUETRAL" and the rattle will stop.This can be very annoying in stop & go traffic!Why would the rattle stop in "PARK or "Nuetral" and just rattle away "in gear"?Anyone out there with any ideas? My car is an automatic.Like you said, the car is so quiet that the rattle just screams out at you! I am willing to jump on board with anyone to try to stop these rattles just post info....bjcnshreve
  • gorgon1gorgon1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a new '04 LE and have been very upset about "ticking and squeaking" noises in the dash/speaker/windshield area. My first complaint yielded half-hearted response and no solutions. Out of clear blue - after filling out a service satisfaction report - got a call from local dealer advising of a new workaround for this problem. Made appt, got service, and so far so good. They removed windshield and applied a felt tape around then replaced it. They claim to have done it now to several Camries with this problem.
    It's warmer now in my area, so I can't be sure of success - but am very encouraged. Will let you know of progress.
  • davidldavidl Member Posts: 3
    I have an 04 V6 SE with leather seats. I too have the same window/door rattle. The seats have nothing to do with the way the rest of the car is constructed. But it's getting warm in Boston and I haven't heard the clicking in a week! I'm not sure how to feel.
    The solution they applied to you rattle issue(irionically) was done to my '02 back in '02. Don't feel bad, it did not work then either. It was supposedly fixed with a new cowl part in the 04s. They put the new cowl on my Camry just before the weather got warm. It was no better UNTIL the warm weather came. It is mostly gone for now but will return when it gets colder. So much for Toyota's 'fixes' The build quality ruins an otherwise outstanding automobile.
    I noticed the crappy poorly secured little piece of plastic that covers the gear indicaot (Park, Drive, Rear, 2, 1 etc) has a tendency to vibrate, crackle and pop. If I push on it, it usually stops until I hit some bumps. The act of shifting might be quieting this one. I was going to get a piece of clear tape and try to tape the thing dow but there are so many other cracles, pop, vibrations, squeaks and rattles I just gave up. It is very sad. I notice there always seems to be a rebate on the Camry. That tells me they are either over priced or less folks are buying them. I do not think the rattle issue has caught on enough yet to besmerch the Camry name but slowly but surely it will. Why doesn't Honda ever have a rebate?
  • gorgon1gorgon1 Member Posts: 2
    Continue to be encouraged with "fix" applied to front windshield (see #383). Now am left with ticking sounds coming from door/sidepost areas on both side- driver and passenger.If anyone had any success with this type noise please advise. These noises are very annoying and really detract from any pleasure derived by driving my new Camry.
    You will undoubtably get back your popping noises when the cold weather returns but let us know.

Me, I have had it. I am contacting Toyota and having someone sent to my dealer. I am SICK of being told by the service dept that they do not hear the rattle on the day they have my car. Yet every one in this forum has the same rattles.

We were stuck in the Camry of a 5 hour trip. All of a sudden a popping noise started up from the front top passenger speaker. My wife held her hand their to quiet it. Also the vibrations from the radio area were driving me nuts.

I can understand the dealer not wanting to tinker with stuff they do not hear. The problem is these rattles are so intermittant and in so many places it's difficult to get them remedied. Lets see what the almighty Toyota rep has to say. If they deny qualtity issues they will be handed all posts in this forum. It is so sad that Toyota is 'cutting corners'. That Malibu ain't looking so bad anymore!
  • cwocwo Member Posts: 3
    I have an 04 camry SE V-6. It has about 900 miles. I have a rattle coming from the heating/air vent located next to the radio. When I press my hand up against the vent, the rattle stops. I have an appointment this week with the dealer's service department. Actually, other than that, the car is very quiet and enjoyable to drive.
    900 miles...give it time my friend. Seriously I hope this is the only issue you experience.
  • cwocwo Member Posts: 3
    This is the first Toyota I have ever owned and I'm actually surprised at all of the rattles people are talking about. I've always bought GM products in the past.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Yes, I am suprised too, but both Toyota AND Honda have lots of rattle complaints, so I guess rattles are something you might have a problem with. Big tip - try a different dealer until you get one that can fix the rattle. Worked for me.
  • solara00solara00 Member Posts: 81
    Andrelaplume: Interesting that you have this same rattle. Any time we hit even a tiny bump in our new (April) 04 XLE V6, the right front speaker rattles. If my wife pushes firmly on it, the rattle is essentially stopped. Temporarily, of course.

We also have a rattle somewhere in the left door pillar near the front shoulder belt area. I do not think it is in the shoulder harness, but somewhere else in the pillar.

I want them to fix both rattles, but HONESTLY, I am afraid they would cause more new rattles than they would fix. We really like our Camrys, but these rattles really are too much. And, OF COURSE, the freaking service department can never hear them. But anyone else that rides in the car can.

Would they have to remove the entire dash to get to the right front speaker?

Thanks.
    your post only further proves that Toyota has done little to improve the Camry in this area. You suffer the same afflictions that many of us do. Considering the Camry has had a rebate almost since new you'd think Toyota would wake up and make some serious changes. If I wanted a rattle trap and the 'I don't hear it' service probelm, I could have bought a Taurus for $15K.

I doubt there will be any fixes. It appears TSBs are an admission of guilt in the Toyota world and the techs are none to brave to go exploring with the bulliten to guide them. Thus we all suffer. Toyota banks on the fact that their loyal customers will not complain. Well, I am not one of them.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    My $18K 2000 Taurus SES Duratec just passed 40k miles this week, and still no rattles or squeaks. Been a very good car to date.

Maybe you could trade your Camry even up for a closeout 2004 Taurus and foist your rattles onto someone else. That great Toyota resale value might just help you out in getting rid of it!
    I had two Fords before the Camry. A Topaz which I ran thru 90K highway miles with no trouble and a Mystique. The Mystique was one of my favorite cars. The most fun car I have driven to date. The Mystique was constantly in the shop for odd quirky repairs though; sometimes sevral visits for teh same problem. When the Focus came out and was initially so screwed up mechanically I gave up on Ford. True, the Taurus has been average mechanically but it was due to be replaced. Ford has not done well with its repalcement vehicles of late so I was not about to wait for the Futura or whatever the last name is. Thus I bought the Camry.

The Taurus is likely a steal today. I think I saw them for $15K. I could dump the Camry, get the Taurus and have change left over. Still I feel I owe it to the car to see how it holds up long term vs my old Fords. Plus, 5 years from now my Camry will likely bring double the value of then older generation Ford.

Still it is quite disheartening that the Camry has so many rattles. The fact that a likely Ford fan finally has something to pick on (with the Camry) should be a wake up call for Toyota.
  • larryt22larryt22 Member Posts: 125
    I can relate to your frustrations both with Ford and the rattles in the Camry. I have owned many GM, Ford, Chrysler and American Motors products over the years and have always been frustrated with their poor overall quality. Having spent my entire life working in an American manufacturing company, I had always resisted the temptation to try one of those import manufacturers. However, I finally gave in and bought two Toyotas in March (a Camry and a Highlander).

Although neither of these Toyotas is the "Perfect" vehicle, I must say that after 5 months I still think they are the best 2 vehicles I have ever owned. When the windshield creak gets to annoying me, I just crank up the radio until I can no longer hear the creak.
    I echo your sentiments to a point...if it were just the intermittant window creak ok...but a radio vibration, door pillar vibration, dash noise, trunk thump and now my seat actually thuds and moves a bit. I would assume the latter is correctable. Mechanically its been great. But the extra cost makes me wonder if it is all worth it...
  • pciskowskipciskowski Member Posts: 155
    Go rid of my 2002 Protege5 because it was unreliable. Bought an 04 Camry LE without reading this forum, and I regret it! Dash and pillar rattles, thunking in the trunk, scratch on the dash at delivery (that the dealer won't fix). And I only have 500 miles! I am debating taking my lumps and trading it off. Anyone have any suggestions on a car that doesn't rattle?
  • meng_kemeng_ke Member Posts: 2
    I took my '04 Camry LE V6 (Bought it at April)
    to dealer (Northern NJ) yesterday for the fix of thunking in the trunk. The dealer found a "Rear Strut bolts Loose", the correction is "Retorque Rear Strut Bolts". But after the fix, the trunk still thunking when I drive it. Other complains to dealer about the rattles, service tech cannot find any of them. Dash and window rattles, high speed hum noise, transmission not smoothly changing gear at 10-15mph.

I am still on the list.
  • gto2gto2 Member Posts: 5
    Just bought a new Camry 2005 XLE two weeks ago. I am having the same rattle in the left door pillar near the front shoulder belt area. Did your dealer ever fix your same rattle ? If so can you tell me how they fixed it. I can't believe my car is only 2 weeks old and it already has rattles.

I bought the 2005 Camry XLE for quality both inside and outside. But from what I am hearing on this board maybe I made a BIG mistake.
    GTO2
    The only fix Toyota has is a windshield cowl replacement; and that was for the 02/03 model years and really did not solve my cold weather popping noises. As my car gets older the rattles get worse. Here is what you can expect:

1) Radio area vibration buz
    2) Dash pops from passenger side by speaker
    3) Dash pops and vibrations in the center dash
    4) Intermittant door pillar rattles
    5) Door rattles apprantely coming from the storage nook in each door
    6) Seat Creaking in drivers seat
    7) Buzz/popping in area by shifter on automatic

Like I said before, if rattles do not bother you then the car is great. If you expected more, be sure to hit the Camry hard in the appropriate area of CR magazine in the annual questionaire, contnue to post in this forum, let your dealer politely know and complain to Toyota.

We are lost causes, only when sales tank will they do something. Then again, the Camry has pretty much a a rebate since the model was introduced...
    I had a '93 Civic and the road and wind noise was so loud I don't know if had any rattles.

We have an '03 Passat that has horrible rattles.

I had a '99 Camry that had rattles. Yes, I am a second time sucker.

My Protege5 had numerous rattles.

I've checked on other cars that I am considering if I decide to take a beating and trade this car off. It seems like every forum I checked had rattle issues.

Maybe every car can develop rattles...
    I took out the head unit and replaced it with a aftermarket one that plays MP3s. The adapter looks pretty good. It is the same one that Crutchfield sells. I had to put some tape on the pocket to keep it from making noise, but now I have no more creak, I can play MP3s again, and I have an extra storage area in the dash.

Isn't it kind of embarrassing to sell a cassette deck in 2004?
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    "Isn't it kind of embarrassing to sell a cassette deck in 2004?"

While I agree with you, my sister-in-law is all upset that their new car can't play her "books on tapes" Go figure!
    Books on tape is a good point. I didn't think about that, and I know quite a few people that listen to them. I take back what I said.
  • ian721ian721 Member Posts: 93
    I noticed from looking through a few of the TSB's that someone else posted in a zip file (great download BTW) that there are two separate Camry assembly lines in TMMK in Georgetown.

Just a thought, but I wonder if one of the lines produces cars with more rattles than the other line?
    For years I drove Fords and Chryslers. Remember the Iococa quote to the effect of 'Americans would rather have cars that rattled and door handles falling off than pay higher prices'.

The Toyota reputation was the opposite. That is why I paid MORE and bought one. Now all of a sudden the excuse becomes, 'well they all do it'.

So will we accept that if the tranny's start to die at 50K? Or head gaskets blow at 60K? Bull! If I experience any mechanical troubles then I am back to an American car for life. And, that is where Toyota better be carefull. If people's expectations are lower, then they expect to pay less.
  • gto2gto2 Member Posts: 5
    andrelaplume, I agree with you. I bought my 2005 XLE V6 because of the Toyota reputation as being a well built car. I think what the real problem is that Toyota is building multi-millions of Camry's now instead of the thousands they used to build.
    They are giving up quality control for volume. If this continues they will go the way Ford did with the Taurus which used to be the number one selling car in america.
    GTO2
  • bobbo3bobbo3 Member Posts: 1
    In my 2002 Camry XLE, I fixed many of the creaks & rattles that seemed to come from the doors, windows, A/B/C pillars this way: I cleaned & conditioned the rubber door seal trim.

Unlike previous Ford & GM products I've owned, this Camry uses two rubber moldings on each door (one on the door, one on the body). These moldings press together when the doors are shut, and if they are dirty and/or dried out, they creak as they rub against each other as you drive.

I just wash them down with soap & water when I wash the rest of the car, then used some Armor-all to shine (and lubricate the surface) of the moldings, and many of my creaking noises have disappeared. This may not work for you, but it's free to try, so you've got nothing to lose. The car's still not perfect (I'm having TSB N005-03 done to the windshield on Monday), but at least it's getting better.

Has anyone had trouble with the electro-chromatic rear-view mirror creaking? I'm about to have mine changed for a second time (under warranty, which is good because the part is $600 retail!).
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...ditch the Armorall, which is water-based, and get some silicone lube spray [cheap in a can from everybody's auto supply]. Spray it on a paper towel and wipe down the rubber surfaces. This will last a lot longer than Armorall, and be just as effective.

Whenever you hear noises around doors and windows, the first suspect should be the rubber seals....very common problem.
  • murray53murray53 Member Posts: 71
    I sympathize with recent Camry owners who have problems with rattles and other body noises. I drove two 2004 Camrys in Texas and didn't notice any problems but there the roads are in better shape (for the most part) than they are in NY. I had (until last Wednesday) a 1988 Camry (assembled in Japan before the US plant was opened) and even though rust cancer finally ate through the wheelwells in two places it still rode pretty well and never had a rattle (except when I extended the radio antenna to certain lengths) in almost 17 years. It seems that problems like this are happening to many owners of newer cars. I don't know if it's sloppy assembly or cost-cutting by the manufacturers. I guess if you want to get the same quality you got in 1988 you need to spend at least 2x what you paid then for your next car.
  • rlcarrlcar Member Posts: 2
    My 2002 Camry XLE V6 has leather seats/panels and it rattles (from the first week) from the driver side door panel.